https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/16253/find-us/ Church opened for worship in 1833 as a Chapel of Ease before Benwell was within the boundaries of Newcastle upon Tyne. It was built on land donated by John Buddle, the famous mining engineer and colliery manager, who is buried in the churchyard in a vault designed by Dobson. City centre developer Richard Grainger also lies in the churchyard within an enclosure of Gothic-style iron railings. A volunteer Graveyard Group was set up in 2009 by the St James Heritage and Environment Group to take care of the previously neglected churchyard. Sources: http://stjameschurchnewcastle.wordpress.com http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/hidden-past-newcastle-cemetery-uncovered-1456380