Also known as Auburn Cemetery. Mountain View Cemetery was established November 8, 1890, a full year before the town of Slaughter was incorporated as a 4th class town. (The name was changed to Auburn in 1893). At the instigation of social societies, including Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias, the Mountain View Cemetery Association was formed for the purpose of purchasing land well removed from White River’s annual floods, which were damaging Slaughter Precinct Cemetery.
Forty acres of land was purchased from Daniel Starr, and 92 Citizens contributed $25 each for bonds which allowed them plot space and trusteeships.
During the Depression Era, the cemetery suffered due to a lack of water. In 1945, a group of businessmen formed the Thousand One Club; their first act for community betterment was a move to transfer the cemetery to the City of Auburn.
This was completed in 1946 and the name was changed to Auburn City Cemetery. The following year county owned acreage adjoining the cemetery was purchased. The cemetery was endowed for the perpetual care January 1947. On June 6, 1967, the cemetery board formally voted to change back to Mountain View Cemetery.