William M. Bromley

1839 - 1911


William M. Bromley

1839 - 1911
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Biography of William Michael Bromley, page 771. Bromley, William Michael. Born Oct. 13, 1839. Worcestershire, Eng. Came to Utah with the Hooper and Williams Freight Train Company (1855) Married Elizabeth Roylance Nov 10, 1858. Springville, Utah (daughter of John Roylance of Springville) who was born
Register to get full access to the grave site record of William M. Bromley
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

William M. Bromley


American Fork Cemetery

601-699 Alpine Hwy
American Fork, Utah, Utah
United States


July 23, 2011


July 23, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about William M....

We found more records about William M. Bromley.

Grave Site of William M.


William M. Bromley is buried in the American Fork Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah

Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

Biography of William Michael Bromley, page 771. Bromley, William Michael. Born Oct. 13, 1839. Worcestershire, Eng. Came to Utah with the Hooper and Williams Freight Train Company (1855) Married Elizabeth Roylance Nov 10, 1858. Springville, Utah (daughter of John Roylance of Springville) who was born in 1842. Their children: William R.; John R.; Frank; Mary; Elizabeth; Sylvia; Willis; Luella; Archie; Flora. Family resided Springville and American Fork, Utah. Married Rosena Singleton July 19, 1870, Salt Lake City (daughter of Francis and Amelia Ann Williams of Portsmouth, Eng. Pioneers Nov 2, 1864 Warren Snow company.) She was born April 17, 1852. Their children: Amelia S.; Julia; Mary; Phoebe; Cora Melinda; Jane A.; Loue; William; Alice. Married Caroline whiting 1879, Salt Lake City (daughter of Edward and Elizabeth Whiting of Springville). She was born 1853. Their children: Elizabeth; William. Married: Beulah Chipman March 1885, American Fork, Utah (daughter of Washburn and Margaret Chipman of American Fork) She was born 1862. Their children: Leah; Edna; Washburn. Missionary to England 1872-73; missionary to New Zealand and introduced the Gospel to the Maoris 1881-84; bishop’s counselor Springville; bishop of American Fork 1884; president high priests’ quorum Alpine stake. Marshall and justice of the peace. Colonel in Nauvoo Legion. Book keeper. Died April 14, 1911, American Fork.

William Michael Bromley's autobiograhpy

Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

October 13, 1839 – April 14, 1911 I was sent to school at an early age to a Mrs. Morris who boarded and lodged me for a period of time. Next I was sent to school to a Mr. Baylis where I progressed so fast that I was called, in a short time to assist in teaching the younger children which position I retained until I left school. In the fall of 1849, I was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints by Elder John Lyon at Worcester and in January of 1851, with my parents, set sail on the ship Ellen Maria from Liverpool for New Orleans. After a voyage of nine weeks and two days arrived at the latter place. After our arrival at St. Louis, my parents secured me a position with John McGregor, a watchmaker. He had married my mother's sister Jane, therefore becoming my uncle by marriage. After a few months I became dissatisfied with my situation and left. My brother, James, who had been in American for some time prior to our arrival, having heard of our arrival at St. Louis, came to visit us and by his solicitation the whole family moved to Alton. My father, brother James, and myself engaged at brick making at which business we continued during the summer of 1852. In the fall of this year we returned to St. Louis and I found employment with a picture frame manufacturer for several months after which in 1853, I was bonded apprentice to a firm Baker and Scott, blacksmiths. After working with them about a year I left and engaged in a safe and scale company at which business under different firms I working until I left St. Louis for Utah. In 1854, I was ordained a deacon and joined the deacon's quorum. I was called to witness one of the most painful experiences of my life - the death of my mother who died 2 July 1854 after an illness of a few hours of cholera. My sister Julia and Mary also Aunt Phoebe Davis and her infant all dying within a week. Well can I remember the terrible feeling of sorrow and loneliness which these events caused me. My mother was a queen among women, a wife and mother who equal is seldom found - whose superior does not exist. My dear mother! How the memory of your son even after these long years takes him to days of thy love and how blank thy absence has made his home. God, bless my mother and grant that we may meet again to enjoy the same dear relationship of mother and son which I so desire and my heart so longs for. Mother, if you are permitted to visit this earth- if thy spirit is allowed to wander from thy present abode - I beseech of you to visit your son- even if it be in the night vision or in dreams - and let me feel that you love your son and are watching over him - for thou art my ideal of woman in all excellence - thou art my mother - precious name and what emotion that name awakens. Oh, God, I pray three, help me to be worthy to associate hereafter with my mother - worthy to be her son and as such her associate. In the opening of 1855, my father married Josephine Yandel, a widow with 3 sons. This change in affairs caused me to want to leave home. On the 24 July, Thomas Williams of Salt Lake City whilst speaking in meeting on Sunday stated that he wished to engage a number of me as teamsters to drive teams to Utah. All wishing to engage were told to meet him at the steamboat on Tuesday at 4 p.m. ready to start. I accepted the offer and left home on the date specified arriving at Atchison a few days afterwards where I was initiated into the yoking and driving of oxen. I was given five yoke of oxen, most of which were wild Texans. I hitched them onto a loaded wagon, 40 men and boys and 4 women. Starting so late in the season the journey proved a hard one. Provisions were scarce and the cold weather, with frost and snow set in before we reached our destination. At Fort Bridger the season was so advanced that upon our arrival there it was thought best to cache the greater part of our wagons and their contents. We left this place with 6 wagons and all the available cattle in our charge. Arriving at the mouth of Echo Canyon a few days afterwards, the snow as so deep that volunteers were called to start for Salt Lake City for relief. I with others volunteered and after wading thru the creek several times, arrived cold and hungry the first night at 8 p.m. on the big mountain. With difficulty a fire was made and camp struck and night was passed amid the horrors of a winter night upon the mountain, without food or bedding - the wind howling- surrounded by snow - with but little fire and the means for replenishing the same being very meager. But morning dawned upon us and after ascending the big Mountain we began to descend on the other side and a winter's sun cheered us on our weary journey. I found my feet were frozen and it was with difficulty that I could walk. After several hours journey, we arrived in Salt Lake City- footsore, weary, and nearly starved. Soon we engaged board at Bincent Shurtliff's for $4 per week. I remained two weeks, and in this time was much recruited in health and body. Upon examination to my finances I found $.50 the total cash on hand - and a small amount of clothing constituted my stock in trade. On December 5th started on foot for the south. First night arrived at Lehi - next day walked to Provo and following day arrived at Springville, Utah. This was December 5, 1855. I found my sister Phoebe and her husband and family living there. I made my home with them. The grasshoppers had been very numerous and but little grain of any kind had been raised. This made provisions scarce and before the spring of 1856, it was almost impossible to purchase food or clothing. Many people were without bread and lived upon vegetables as the spring developed. The year 1855, is noted in Utah for the visit and raid by "grasshoppers" and consequent scarcity of provisions, nearly all vegetation was devoured by the "hoppers" and as a consequence, the people were left to subsist on roots, greens, fish and wild game (when they could obtain it) I did not taste a piece of wheat bread during the late spring and early summer of 1856 for the space of three months. Many others were in similar circumstances. In 1855 grasshoppers seemingly played the same role as the crickets did in 1848. Again the seagulls came to the rescue, gorging themselves on the grasshoppers - then throwing them up again. However, most of the vegetation was lost. William told his children of the time he was in dire need of new trousers during this period. Being unable to purchase any he was very discouraged. A kindly neighbor lady made him a pair of trousers from mattress covering or "ticking". He was more appreciative for those new trousers than any he had ever owned. William engaged to work for Ezra Parish in March of 1856 for $9.00 per month. Whilst employed by him, he took his first lesson in farming and adobe making. He worked for him until June after which worked for different ones.William remarks, " The winters 1855-6&7 were very severe and I suffered much with cold and for the comforts of life. Once during this time I made up my mind to leave Utah and never return. Had I done this no doubt but I should have become very bitter against the place and people, for my experience since my arrival had but a few pleasurable moments and I well remember that my feelings were that I had no friends and that there was nothing desirable in the country. But, thank God, this feeling was dispelled, I did not leave - and soon I began to more fully realize my position and the object I had in coming here and the blessing to be obtained in remaining. As the glorious principles of the gospel began to dawn upon my mind, I grew contented with my lot, and from being discontented grew to love my new home and associates. I joined the dramatic company and took parts in plays, which were enacted upon the stage - made quite a mark in this direction - also bought a cornet and learned to play it. I joined the Springville brass band and finally became leader thereof - was a member of the choir - was elected Captain of the Militia - raised and Infantry Company and received from the general - commanding on general muster – He was City Recorded and afterwards elected the City Marshall in 1867, in which capacity he served for many years. He also served several terms as Justice of the Peace. After being ordained an Elder in 1860, he was called to preside over the elder’s Quorum. On 1 August 1867, William Bromley and four others organized an educational society with A. G. Sutherland as President and William Bromley as vice-president. At their annual election, William Bromley was elected the next President. The society lasted until 1875 when it merged into the MIA movement of the Church. (Mutual Improvement Association) Plural marriage was sacred part of the LDS religion. It was only practiced by 5% of the Church, and was received as a calling rather than practiced by anyone who wished. William was one of those called and he proceeded to marry five times: Elizabeth Roylance, 16 November 1859, to whom ten children were born; Rosena Singleton, 19 July 1869, to whom nine children were born; Caroline Whiting, 9 January 1879, to whom two children were born; Beulah Chipman, 5 March 1887, to whom three children were born; and Ellen Drew, 5 March 1887, with no children from this union. In the April of General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1871, William was called and in a few days there after started on a mission to England. He was appointed to preside over the Bristol conference. His health was failing him because of rheumatism caused by the damp climate and so he was released to return home in the fall of the same year. Between the time of 1871 and 1880, William held many different Church positions as well as community appointments. Then in November 1880, he received a letter from President John Taylor of the Church stating that his name had been suggested as a suitable person to go on a mission to New Zealand, to preside over the Australian mission. Although he had three wives and a number of children by this time, He accepted the calling left to fill the mission on 10 December 1880, sailing on the steam “City of New York” from San Francisco, 21 December 1880. They stopped at Honolulu but were not allowed to go ashore as there was smallpox in the town and thy did not want this dread disease brought on board the ship. A letter dated 11 December 1880, signed by the First Presidency of the Church was sent to the Saints in New Zealand certifying him to preside over the Church there. After many hardships on the waters for over a month’s tie, the ship arrived at Auckland, New Zealand the 14th of January 1881. His description of the city and surrounding area is “…as viewed from the steamer’s deck as she slowly glides up the harbor, to the weary traveler is beautiful… and lovely to contemplate.” Having been appointed to preside over the Australian mission, he proceeded to investigate the conditions and necessities of the mission. There were three branches of the Church organized; i.e. The Auckland, Christchurch, and Timarn branches. Also, there were no Utah elders at this time on the Australian continent. Because of the state of affairs there, he thought it wise that the labors of himself and the other brethren be directed to preaching the Gospel to the inhabitants on the Island of New Zealand. The opening of the door of the Gospel to the Maoris is very interesting. Brother Bromley, with two other brethren, were with a number f natives explaining the Gospel to them by means of two Bible, one in the Maori and the other in the English language. Passages were selected by Brother Bromley in the English edition and the natives found the same in their edition and read them and a very favorable impression was made. His feeling was deepened by the fact that a daughter of the chief was sick and through the prayer of faith offered by the brethren, recovered. When the elders called the following day, the chief relayed a dream he had had some time previously, when he beheld certain personages, one of whom was dressed in a white robe and appeared to have no colored clothing on his person. He also described the appearance of his countenance. One of the other personages and an influence that rested upon him signified that the visittant was the Apostle Peter, who was exercising an influence among men for their salvation. He said he was impelled to recognize the visit of the three elders as having a connection with this manifestation. He declared that he believed their message and was ready to be baptized. Accordingly, the chief, his wife, and her brother were baptized the same evening in the Waikato River. From this nucleus, the work spread until the number already named were added with a fine prospect of many more coming in at the Gospel door. The King has publicly expressed his belief in the Gospel and many are inquiring. During his mission in New Zealand, eighteen Elders from Utah labored with him in the mission. They endeavored to visit each house and distribute tracts to the residents. During his mission about 20,000 tracts were circulated, some printed in the Maori language. At the end of his mission, Elder William T. Stewart was appointed to succeed him. William sailed for home on the steamship Australia, leaving New Zealand, 17 July 1883, and arrived back in Salt Lake City on 9 August 1883. In the fall of 1883, he moved his family to American Fork, and was called to preside as Bishop of the American Fork Ward. Although the Church sanctioned the practice of polygamy, in 1886, he was arrested for living with more than one wife, and served seven months in the penitentiary. (President Joseph F. Smith was there at the same time) When Elder Bromley was arrested the second time on the same charge, he engaged in extensive travel from Mexico to Canada, keeping out of the way because of the improbability of getting a fair trial. He returned home after the Manifesto was issued. Wilford Woodruff issued the Manifesto in September 1890, and the Church members sustained it in the October 1890 General Conference. Pardon was not granted however until 4 January 1893 by President Harrison of the United States. William was employed by the Utah Idaho Sugar Company for more than twenty years. He was timekeeper and did some blacksmith work at Garland, Utah when the sugar factor was erected there. When be became ill with diabetes, the family moved back from Garland to American Fork and until his death 14 April 1911, he had charge of the scales house at Lehi for the company. Here all beets and pulp were weighed for that part of the state of Utah. Material taken from " None Shall Excel Thee” The Life and Journals of William Michael Bromley, written by Fred Bromley Hodson, JSMB US/CAN Book Call no. 921.73 B788h. Also on film FHL US/CAN Film 1697475 Item 3. Also material s complied by Helen Carter Dotterer (a grand daughter) assisted by her daughter Marcia, with information from various sources, mainly a Biography written by her mother, Jane Bromley Carter, family records, William’s own autobiography, and articles appearing n the Deseret Newspaper.

William Michael Bromley's Autobiography

Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

My parents were John Bromley and Mary Oxenbold. My father was the son of James Bromley, a carrier by profession and a man of means and influence in the neighborhood of Worcester. My parents were married by the rites of the Church of England and had the following: Adeline - died in her childhood in England Maria - married in her childhood in England. James - married his cousin, Emma Oxenbold- was wounded while serving in the Northern Army- afterwards went south- his where about not known. Jane - married Samuel Morton- said marriage proved to be unfortunate- died in St. Louis leaving a son and daughter. Phoebe - married David Westwood - immigrated to Utah, from thence to Nevada in 1865 -she had four sons when last heard from. (Aunt Jennie Carter says that Phoebe Westwood was reroute from California from California to see Grandfather Bromley as he lay on his deathbed when she died of a sudden illness). Julia Marie - died at St. Louis on 3 July 1854 after a few hours illness. William Michael - subject of this sketch Mary Gilbert - died in childhood at St. Louis 4 July 1854 after a few hours illness - Asiatic cholera John Gilbert Wilson - married Miss Smith in St. Louis and had two sons - died 187_ Augustus Walter - married at St Louis - boy born about 1868. My father served an apprenticeship in the glove making business. After marriage he engaged in the brick making business until the year 1849. He with his family then moved to Worcester and received the Gospel under the teaching of Elder John Lyon who baptized him, my mother, Jane, Phoebe, Julia, and myself.

We Have a Part to Act

Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

The year 1884 was a challenging one in LDS history. For the first time, anti-polygamy legislation was being prosecuted aggressively by the federal government. The Saints were not sure whether to hide or to stand their ground in defense. Some were heard to openly disavow the peculiar practice. Discussing the scene, the women in the American Fork Relief Society reflected on what plural marriage meant to them. Ellen D. Clarke testified that “we have a part to act which has been laid out before we came here." Plural marriage had been a good thing for her. "Had lived in Cel[estial] Marriage," she said, as plural marriage was then commonly called. Mr. Clarke husband had died a decade earlier, and Ellen was still a widow. She looked back with some nostalgia on the past. "Had seen some of the brightest moments of her life in it. Had taught her children to be proud that they was born in the principle of plurality." Ellen Clarke had brought a strong Spirit into the room. Sophia Blood felt it and spoke in tongues, according to the minutes of the meeting. It was not an infrequent occurrence for her to enjoy the gift of tongues in the meetings of the American Fork sisters. The unknown language was interpreted by Mary Jackson, who enjoyed the same gift from time to time. “Oh my Sisters do right," Blood had said, according to Jackson's interpretation. "Though I have not obeyed the principle"--Sophia Blood had not entered into plural marriage--"I desire to keep the commandments of God. The time is coming when we shall rejoice together in the principle of truth." Jackson then prophesied that Sister Blood's children should once day join the church. After Jackson sat down, Ann Abel had a few words to say. She “bore testimony that plurality was a righteous principle, and desired always to be faithful in the name of Jesus." William Bromley, the bishop of the ward and husband of three, had a few words to say. Knowing how much he prized his wives and children, he "thanked God for the principle of plural marriage." Even so, he knew the freedom of choice was paramount. "He had not a woman that was sealed to him, but he could give her up, if it would better her condition," he said. He asked the women to "teach the young women the way of prudence. Let all understand their duties. A woman cannot get into the Kingdom of God unless she lives for it. God bless you in your labor of love." He encouraged the sisters to pay their tithing. Let us do our duty and we are safe," he said. Three years later, Ellen Clarke would no longer be a widow. Bishop Bromley asked her to marry him, and she consented, willing to brave the risk of breaking federal law. She was back in the Principal. Source: Minutes, May 1, 1884, American Fork Ward, Utah Stake, Relief Society Minute Book, 1880-1888, LR 10636 14, v. 2, Church History Library, SLC.

Angels of Mercy

Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

Visiting teachers, the bishop of American Fork Ward taught the women in ward, are “appointed to be Angels of mercy among the people." "You should kneel in prayer before starting out and your duties will be made plain," Bishop William Bromley taught. Speaking later in the meeting, Jane Lee affirmed the truth of the bishop's instruction. She “testified that she had always prayed before she started out to teach." Jane "desired to press onward in the work of the Lord." Following Sister Lee, Sophia Hanson testified that she too “had prayed for the Spirit" before starting out on her visiting teaching beat. It had made all the difference. Source: Minutes, June 13, 1884, American Fork Ward, Utah Stake, Relief Society Minute Book, 1880-1888, LR 10636 14, v. 2, Church History Library, SLC.


Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

The Church and stake leaders were under the conviction that the Lord’s revelation on plural marriage was the higher law than the stature of the land, which stature the Church considered unconstitutional and still believed would be overturned. Bishop Bromley is supposed to have been counseled to encourage the members of his ward to live “the principle.” IN his characteristic zeal, he is reported to have given a strong talk in his ward on plural marriage, going so far as to suggest that if there were good sisters who were not married and whished to be sealed to some worthy man, they might make their desires know to him. There were two women who took courage from his words and waited for him at the door. Reportedly they told him they believed his sermon and would themselves like to be his plural wives. One was the widow of James Clarke, Ellen Drew Gemmell Clarke, a woman his same age. They had corresponded while he was in prison. She had sent him some money, and visited him at Christmas time. She had been a widow for fourteen years and had five children. The other was Beulah Ann Chipman, a much younger woman, and herself from a polygamous family. Beulah and her parents had visited with Bishop Bromley just the day before he left for prison. On March 5, 1887, Bishop Bromley married both of them. Buelah Ann married William Michael Bromley on 5 March 1887 at the age of 24. William Michael was born 13 October 1839 in Worcester, Worcestshire,England to John Michael and Mary Oxenbold Bromley. William Michael came to the Salt Lake valley with the Hooper and Williams Freight Train departing on 20 June 1855 and arriving in the Salt Lake valley on 5 September 1855. He was just 15 years old. It consisted of 26 wagon sof freight. There were no known emigrants on this train. It was very important as they brought needed freight to the valley. William first married Elizabeth Roylance on 16 November 1859 in Springville, Utah, Utah Territory. Elizabeth was born 26 August 1842 in Montrose, Lee, Iowa Territory. They had ten children, five girls and five boys, all born in Springville. William Augustus was born 13 December 1859 and died 21 December 1859; John Roylance was born 20 September 1860; Franklin was born in 1863 and died sometime between 1863 and 1870; Mary Ann was born 24 June 1865; Elizabeth Roylance was born 30 September 1867;Sylvia Frances was born 22 December 1869; Willis Michael was born 5 October 1872; Luella Roylance was born 28 August 1875; Archie was born 17 October 1878;and Flora was born 5 December 1885. William Michael entered into plural marriage when he married Rosena Singleton on 19 July 1869 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory. They had nine children, eight girls and one boy. Amelia Singleton was born 1 July 1870; Julia Singleton was born 11 July 1872; Mary Rosena was born 6 August 1874 and died 9 March 1878; Phoebe was born 12 April 1877; Cora Melinda was born 28 February 1879; Jane Adeline was born 18 August 1881; Louise was born 19 May 1884; William Francis was born 14 May 1886; and Alice was born 20 August 1888. He then married Caroline Fidelia on 9 January 1879 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory. They had two children,Elizabeth Whiting born 29 February 1880 and William Whiting born 19 February 1885 and he died 4 December 1891. He served in the military in the Indian War Service. He also served a mission to New Zealand from 1881 to 1884 at the age of 42. He married Buelah Ann Chipman on 5 March 1887 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory. They had three children. Margaret Leah was born 28 December 1887; Edna Beulah was born 23 October 1892; and Washburn Chipman was born 3 June 1894. He married Ellen Drew Gemmell on 5 March 1887 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory. She was married previously and had five children. Her first husband died in 1873. They had no children so he probably married her to help in the care of the family. James Hill Clarke was born 23 December 1862;Sidney Tanner Clarke was born 6 April 1864 and died 14 May 1865; Anna Lloyd Clarke was born 14 May 1866; Jane Drew Clarke was born 26 November 1867; and Peter Gemmell Clarke was born 13 October 1869. William Michael had twenty four children, plus the five children belonging to Ellen. William Michael died 14 April 1911 in American Fork, Utah, Utah at the age of 71. He was buried on 16 April 1911 in the American Fork Cemetery, Utah, Utah. Buelah Ann died 20 June 1935 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah at the age of 72 from Pneumonia and Bronchitis. She was buried 23 June 1935 in the Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park, East Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah.

Life Timeline of William M. Bromley

William M. Bromley was born in 1839
William M. Bromley was 1 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
See More
William M. Bromley was 20 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
William M. Bromley was 30 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
See More
William M. Bromley was 38 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
See More
William M. Bromley was 46 years old when Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is published in the United States. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a novel by Mark Twain, first published in the United Kingdom in December 1884 and in the United States in February 1885. Commonly named among the Great American Novels, the work is among the first in major American literature to be written throughout in vernacular English, characterized by local color regionalism. It is told in the first person by Huckleberry "Huck" Finn, the narrator of two other Twain novels and a friend of Tom Sawyer. It is a direct sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
See More
William M. Bromley was 55 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
See More
William M. Bromley was 69 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
See More
William M. Bromley died in 1911 at the age of 72
Grave record for William M. Bromley (1839 - 1911), BillionGraves Record 64087 American Fork, Utah, Utah, United States