William Sylus Gray

28 Nov 1858 - 25 Oct 1938


William Sylus Gray

28 Nov 1858 - 25 Oct 1938
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of William Sylus Gray (28 Nov 1858 - 25 Oct 1938) at Lehi Cemetery in Lehi, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of William Sylus Gray
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

William Sylus Gray


Lehi Cemetery

1098 N 400 E St
Lehi, Utah, Utah
United States


November 21, 2011


November 19, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about William Sylus...

We found more records about William Sylus Gray.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of William Sylus


William Sylus Gray is buried in the Lehi Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Martha Mary Ann Peck Yates

Contributor: rjjjr152 Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

Women of Faith and Fortitude Title Page Pioneer Name: Martha Mary Ann Peck Yates Birth Date and Place: 7 Jul 1847 Redlynch, Wilshire, England Death Date and Place: 21 Oct 1927 Lehi, Utah, Utah Year arrived in Utah: 5 Oct 1867 Company Arch N. Hill Father: Elisha Peck Mother: Phoebe Turner Who Married and Date: William Yates- 11 Jan 1868 Pho in File: Yes Submitted By: Name: Zona E. Steiner Address: 10956 St. #168 Columbia, CA 95310 BIOGRAPHY: MARTHA ANN PECK YATES BIRTHDATE: 7 Jul 1847 Redlynch, Wilshire, England DEATH: 21 Oct. 1927 Lehi, Utah, Utah PARENTS: Elisha Peck & Phoebe Turner PIONEER: 5 Oct. 1867 Arch N. Hill Company SPOUSE: William Yates MARRIED: 11 Jan. 1868 Lehi, Utah, Utah DEATH SP: 18 Jun 1901 Lehi, Utah, Utah CHILDREN: Edith18 Sep 1868d. 1868 Sarah21 Dec 1869 Phoebe26 Feb 1872 Elizabeth16 Sep 1873 Lillian Mary24 Dec 1875 Elisha Franklin31 Dec 1877 Martha Emma05 Oct 1879 Albert Lester15 Nov 1881 Archibald Edward18 Jan 1884 Clarence Hyrum05 Jun 1887 Julia Pearl07 Jul 1889 Martha Mary Ann Peck was born in England in 1847. Her parents were well off, in that they had fine clothes and a lovely two-story home. The three children had private tutors most of the time. When Mary Ann was 7 her mother died. A great-uncle and his wife came to keep house and care for them. Her father died when she was 10 years of age. The great-uncle, Issac Kinger, arranged for them to have income as long as they lived in England, even after they, the Kingers, passed away. The Mormon Missionaries came and converted Mary Ann in May 1859. She was baptized at the age of 12, by William Yates, who would later become her husband. To earn money to come to Utah she sewed men’s silk shirts in her home. Mary Ann and her sister came to Utah in 1867 with the Arch N. Hill Company. Her brother stayed in England for a time as a missionary. He later sold the home and divided the money with his 2 sisters. Mary Ann went to Lehi, Utah, where friends lived. There she met again William Yates, who’s wife, Betsy, needed help because she was lame. She married William Yates as his 2nd wife in 1868 in the Endowment House. William eventually built a 2-story home for Mary Ann patterned after the one she had in England. Mary Ann had a very bad birthmark on her face, with black hair that covered all of one side of the face. She also was gradually losing her hearing. She always worried that one of her children would have these deformities, but it never showed up. When Betsy died, Mary Ann took her 5 children and raised them. She taught in Relief Society, and also loved to recite poetry and tell stories even though deaf. She had a beautiful spirit. She passed away in 1927 in Lehi at the age of 80 years. Section I Martha Mary Ann Peck Yates Born July 7, 1847 at Redlynch, Wiltshire, England Died Oct. 21, 1927 at Lehi, Utah Entered Valley- Oct. 5th 1867 Company of A. N. Hill. Wagons were used. Section 2 Marth Mary Ann Peck was born July 7, 1847 at Redlynch, Wiltshire, England Whe died Oct. 21, 1927 at Lehi, Utah at age 80 yrs. Her Father was Elisha Peck. Born May 1st, 1816 at Figheldran, Wilts, England. Her Mother was Phoebe Turner Peck born 12 Dec. 1811 at Netheravon, Wilts, England Mary Ann arrived in the Valley 5th, October 1867 in A.N. Hill Company. Wagons were used. William Yates of Lehi, Utah, married Martha Mary Ann Peck January 11, 1868 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah. Marriage by Pres. Wilford Woodruff. William Yates died June 18, 1901 at Lehi, Utah Children= page 4 Martha Mary Ann remembers her parents as being very kind and loving. They were considerate of their children, their friends-of each other and of people in general in their every day walks of life. To this couple were born 4 children- 1st: Sophia Mary AnnBorn Oct. 3, 1841 Died: Nov. 9, 1841 2nd: ElizabethBorn Mar. 1, 1845 3rd: Martha Mary AnnBorn July 7, 1847 4th: Elisha PeckBorn April 26, 1850 The home the children remembered was at Redlynch, and joined the Kings Forest. Mary Ann used to get homesick for the England she knew, when the wind would blow in Utah. She said it reminded her of her home and the trees singing in the Kings Forest when the wind blew. The mother was a very frail lady and both she and the father had a very fine education. The father had a store in a room of their large two-story house. Every Sunday the parents would try to get all the neighborhood children to come to their home and the mother Phoebe would tell them Bible stories and try to teach them to read. When Mary Ann was small, she could see her mother had different clothes than other women in the community. The mother always had velvet hats and shoes to match her capes and even had an ermine cape that fell to the floor. Her baby clothes were of beautiful material and made by an artist at that work. When Mary Ann was 7 years old her mother died and an old uncle of their father and his wife came to keep house and take care of the children. She (aunt) was a very good cook and they enjoyed the attention of this fine couple. The uncle had been a sea Captain and everyone in the community had much respect for him. Once a week the family was treated to a pound cake from the father’s store. They had many hogs which run loose in the Kings Forest and ate acorns. Every Wednesday they butchered, winter and summer. They had the meat for sale in the store, also wholesale outlets for it. When Wednesday came the children were sent away to school or if it were not school time to friends, anyway they never let them be home to witness the mess of butchering. One day the teacher hit Mary Ann and that was the end of his teaching them. They were all taken from that private school and placed in another one. Mostly they had a private tutor. When Mary Ann was 10 yrs old her father died. They found out he had extended credit and had a mortgage on his home and no money was left to pay it. The Balif came with men to take everything out of the house and put it on the lawn for an auction. As soon as they heard this the old Uncle disappeared and the town people said, “just like a man-when those orphans need him he leaves.” They took everything out of the house, except the bed the old aunt was in and it seems there was a law in England that prohibited removing anyone who was sick in bed. The aunt stayed in bed and those who were there after the money even took the pictures off the walls. About dusk the uncle came back and with him a Gentleman and an Attorney. They paid all the money needed and gave the aunt pounds for the children. They said every month they would send this much and if the Attorney forgot, to remind him. The oldest girl said, “we don’t want this if it is charity,” and was told that they would never get all they should have. The money came every month as long as they were in England. The never knew from whom it came. The old uncle was not feeling too well and he asked for the boy to come into his room. The boy was eleven years old and had been working all day and was so tired. He went into the uncle’s room and the girls could hear the uncle talking and talking, however they could not hear what he was saying. A neighbor girl was playing and she wanted to have them eavesdrop!!! The girls were horrified to even hear of such a thing and at last after several hours, the boy came out and he had gone to sleep and did not hear one thing. The uncle was dead. The uncle’s name was Issac Kinger & his wife Mary Hulbert. The missionaries came to Redlynch and Mary Ann was baptized, 29th of May 1859 by William Yates, a missionary who she would later marry. She was 12 years old when she was baptized. The missionaries used to stay at the Peck home and they used to try to get the Aunt to tell them where the money came from. Even on her death bed she would not tell any of them. When she died the money kept coming as long as they were in England. The brother Elisha Peck stayed in England as a Missionary after the two sisters came to Utah. He sold the house and divided the money with his sisters. The house was a nice two story house and after Mary Ann had a home built for her on the property that her husband had cleared the sagebrush off. It was the same floor plan as the home they had in England. Among other things that happened to the orphan in England; the missionaries told them to bathe in the winter as well as summer. The town people were so angry that they tried to run the Elders out of town. Mary Ann and her sister came to Utah; 5th of October 1867 in the Company of A.J.Hill. Oct. 11, Mary Ann came to Lehi to visit friends from England. Mary Ann was now 20 years old. She came to visit the family of Jeanette Vince. The daughter of Janette was Betsy who had married William Yates. The Missionary who had baptized Mary Ann. When she got to Lehi she was asked to stay and help Betsy. Betsy had been so lame for over a year she could not walk without the aid of a crutch. Betsy’s mother asked Mary Ann if William had asked her to marry him in polygamy. She said no and so Betsy’s mother asked her to marry him. They were married 11 Jan. 1868 in S.L.C> Endowment House by Pres. Wilford Woodruff. They never had a well on their place. They always had to carry water. Grandpa had the first peach trees in Lehi and the young Buck Indians used to come there and jump the fence and take one peach. Then jump the fence to leave, always only one each. They were very friendly with the Indians and once when Mary Ann was already become quite deaf, an Indian came to the house and standing at the open window (Perhaps no glass) he let her know he wanted something to eat. Mary Ann, by now a mother several times, had her little girl Lillian Mary playing on the floor. The child watched as Mary Ann hacked away at some bacon, with a very dull knife. The Indian drew his knife and stepped through the window going toward Mary Ann. The child felt she was going to see her mother scalped right there, however the child also knew her mother could not hear if she called a warning! The Indian touched Mary Ann on the shoulder and as she turned he handed her his knife and took her old dull one. She finished cutting the bacon and the Indian left. Many weeks later he returned her knife and picked up his knife. The knife he brought back was like new! Besides being sharp it had a beautiful new bone handle. As long as the children could remember the family kept the “Old Indian knife.” Many people would bring letters to Mary Ann to be read. She always was glad to help anyone in any way. She did say once that she was glad the trip to Zion was so hard or she would have gone back. Another time she said she was glad that she and her siblings did not know what their money was for fear if they had known it might have kept them in England. Mary Ann had a very bad birthmark on her face, it was very black hair that covered all of one side of her face. She always was concerned when ever there was a baby born in her family-she always checked to see if the birthmark was there and she always checked to see if the new baby was deaf. In all her great posterity the mark never has shown up. The children of Mary Ann Peck and William Yates: EdithB. 18 Sept. 1868D. at birth SarahB. 21 Dec. 1869M. Frank Smith PhoebeB. 26 Feb. 1872M. Wm. Grey ElizabethB. 16 Sept. 1873M. Nathon Pratt Lillian MaryB. 24 Dec. 1875M. Hyrum J. Evans Elisha FranklinB. 31 Dec. 1877D. 7 Nov. 1878 Martha EmmaB. 5 Oct. 1879D. 27 Sept. 1881 Albert LesterB. 15 Nov. 1881M. Zelpha Grey Archabald EdwardB.18 Jan. 1884D. 29 Nov. 1868 Clarance HyrumB. 5 June 1887M. Ethel Allred (2) Vina Carr Julia PearlB. 7 July 1889M. Joe Anderson Both of Williams wives were very supportive of him and his many church callings. They were both proud to let him take the lime-light and all the work with it. They never complained, but always encouraged and supported him. After Mary Ann was having a family her friend and “Sister” Betsy said she thought Mary Ann would not have a family or she would not have consented to the marriage. She felt she would be a helper for her and that she was! Betsy died and left 5 small ones that Mary Ann took into her home and raised. She showed love and kindness to everyone, but especially to these children of Betsy and her husband W. Yates. Mary Ann died at Lehi, Utah, Oct. 21, 1927, 80 years old. She taught Relief Society district for many years.. She became very deaf, but she always attended church services, she could enjoy the spirit. The aunt and uncle that took care of the children were named Kinger. The uncle wss a brother to the children’s grandmother. His name was Isaac Kinger, ____________ the aunts given name. They made life very much better for the three children than as if they had not helped them. Mary Ann did lots of sewing to help out when she could see a need. She had learned to sew for rich gentlemen in England. She did much sewing for her friends and neighbors as well as those in need. Even in her late years the children, both relation and friends came to set at her feet and hear stories. She also taught poetry and even very deaf, she would recite many poems and never too loud or too low. She taught most of the town a poem. All of her descendents learned it at an early age. It was called the Ten Commandments. She could have composed it, I am not sure. The Ten Commandments Thou shall have no Gods before me!!! Before no Idol bend thy knee!!! Take not the name of God in vain- Nor dare the Sabbath day profane!! Keep both thy Parents honor due And see that thou no murder do From vile Companions keep thou clean, nor steal, tho Thou art poor in means Tell not a willful lie and love it What is thy neighbors, dare not covet!!! Martha Mary Ann had a beautiful spirit and she also was blessed with the gift of tongues, after she was very deaf, she heard the singing as well as if she were not deaf. It was at a Sacrament meeting and a song was sung that she heard it plain. Martha Mary Ann died as she lived-love for everyone and looking forward to a great resurrection- to be united with her husband and parents and children as well as siblings and friends-to be together in a wonderful world of no pain or sorrow and she felt she was ready to enjoy the beauties of the celestial world. As a young girl in England, she had walked many miles to a factory where she brought men silk shirts home to sew and when finished she walked to return them. That is how she earned the money to come to Zion. Submitted by: Zone E. Steiner-Mormon Creek Camp-Sonora, California DeVere E. Oliver-Snow Springs Camp- Lehi, Utah Lillian E. Reader- Temple View Camp-S.L.C., Utah

Life Timeline of William Sylus Gray

William Sylus Gray was born on 28 Nov 1858
William Sylus Gray was 2 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
See More
William Sylus Gray was 16 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
See More
William Sylus Gray was 23 years old when The world's first international telephone call is made between St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada, and Calais, Maine, United States. A telephone call is a connection over a telephone network between the called party and the calling party.
See More
William Sylus Gray was 34 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
See More
William Sylus Gray was 50 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
See More
William Sylus Gray was 58 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
See More
William Sylus Gray was 62 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
See More
William Sylus Gray died on 25 Oct 1938 at the age of 79
Grave record for William Sylus Gray (28 Nov 1858 - 25 Oct 1938), BillionGraves Record 418861 Lehi, Utah, Utah, United States