Oliver D Gifford

10 Dec 1854 - 3 Sep 1932


Oliver D Gifford

10 Dec 1854 - 3 Sep 1932
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Ester was born November 1, 1884, in Springdale, Washington, Utah. She was the second child and first daughter born to Oliver De Mill Gifford, and his second wife Emily Ann Hepworth. She was blessed and given her name December 8 1884 by her father. She was raised in a polygamous family in Springdale,
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Oliver D Gifford
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Oliver D Gifford


Springdale Cemetery aka Jolley-Gifford Cemetery

4700-4842 South Paradise Road
Springdale, Washington, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Alice and Emily were Oliver's wives


March 12, 2013


March 12, 2013

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Oliver D...

We found more records about Oliver D Gifford.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Oliver D


Oliver D Gifford is buried in the Springdale Cemetery aka Jolley-Gifford Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Life Story of Ester Gifford

Contributor: denis_ashton Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

Ester was born November 1, 1884, in Springdale, Washington, Utah. She was the second child and first daughter born to Oliver De Mill Gifford, and his second wife Emily Ann Hepworth. She was blessed and given her name December 8 1884 by her father. She was raised in a polygamous family in Springdale, Utah. This small town sits right in the mouth of what is now Zion National Park. She talked often of the park area when she was a child. Cattle were raised in the area, and logging was done on the beautiful, colorful mountains, now protected in the national park. Her father had 20 children by his two wives. 18 of them grew up together working hard long hours on their small farm in Springdale, and playing together at home and at school. She was baptized 2 January 1893 and confirmed the same day. As a child a favorite game was to go down to the Molasses factory and gather up the molasses out of the vats and make Molasses candy. Before she was a teenage girl she was already expert at making quilts, canning food, and making rugs from old clothing .She spent a lot of time with her grandparents. Her grandfather, Squire Hepworth, was blind the last few years of his life of his life. Esther spent time each day reading to him out of the scriptures. Because of this she had a love of reading the scriptures and also had a great understanding of them. She became the Post Mistress in Springdale and served for 30 years. She was always helping people strange or old friends. As the Zion Canyon Tunnel was being built she was the caregiver to many who came to work on the tunnel. Unbeknown to her through this service she was remembered and loved by so many, for her devoted love and service to them. She received her endowment 28 June 1922 in the St. George Temple. Her grandfather a Patriarch had given her a blessing telling her to be patient as she would marry in later life, to a man who would claim her for time and all eternity. She married Albert Winton Pierce on the December, 10, 1937 in the St George Temple. Although she had been promised children she was now past the child bearing age, but a step son Otis Albert Pierce was sealed to her. Through him she also has many grandchildren sealed to her for eternity. During her life in Springdale, Utah with her beloved husband Albert Pierce they had a beautiful life together always working hard to serve the Lord and be of service to their fellow men. They took every chance they had to go to St George to do temple work for their family. Sometimes staying a week or two to just spend the time in the temple. They were always happy to see family come to visit and welcomed them with open arms. The grandchildren always were happy to be in their home and heard the stories they had to share with them. In the latter days of their lives they rented a small apartment in St George and spent all their time in the temple. Grandpa Pierce (Albert Winton Pierce) had a goal of doing a temple name for someone for each year he lived and he completed it. It was at this time Grandpa became very ill and on a visit from his grandson, Tom Pierce, and his family he was brought back home with them to be care for. Grandma (Ester) was gone to help one of her family who needed help at the time, so we arranged to pick her up when she finished helping her family. As long as she lived she always spoke of her sibling with a great deal of love and respect. She was always the first one to go help any of her family if she was needed. They spent the last few years of their life in Draper and Salt Lake with family. Through the short time all of the grandchildren learned to love and appreciate the true love of Christ they showed each of the family. It was a very hard time when we had to let them go. Grandpa Pierce passed away just a few months after we brought him to Draper, but in the short time he was here with us we all learned to know of his great love of the savior and for his family. We are all so proud of his example to us. Grandma was able to live with us for about 10 more years and we will always be grateful for the lessons she taught us on being thrifty, being happy even when you could just set down and cry. We love her for the way of life she taught us. Her example of love for our Father in Heaven, when we would pass by her bedroom door and see her as she was kneeling in her evening or morning prayer. Or see her reading her scriptures with a very sacred reverence. The way she treated others, always with a sweet greeting if she knew them or not. Her gratitude when you did some small kindness for her. Our children still talk of her example to them for her cookies she made them of the warm bread with peanut butter and jam. These are traits that most of us can only dream of having, but to our little grandma Pierce they were her way of life and she always had them, this was the way she always was to all of us. She left us to join her husband on her Birthday 1 November 1971 She was buried 5 November 1971 in Springdale, Utah At her funeral someone said “it was just like Aunt Esther to finish out the year” She always finished what she started. She left us a marvelous heritage of patience and perseverance, and we thank our Heavenly Father we belong to her and hope we have learned from her life and example.

Adelia Gifford Dennett Langston

Contributor: denis_ashton Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

Adelia Gifford Dennett Langston History I, Adelia Gifford Dennett Langston, daughter of Oliver DeMille Gifford and Alice Virginia Allred, was born in Springdale, Washington County, Utah on the 24th day of October, 1885, the 9th child in a family of 14 children. Paternal grandparents: Samuel Kendall Gifford and Lora Ann DeMille. Maternal Grandparents: John Jones Allred and Mary Young Bridgeman. My brothers and sisters in order of their birth – Oliver DeMille, William Henry, Sarah Ann, John Jones, Mary Emily, Lora Ann, Emeret, Rozette, myself Adelia, Sylvia Margie, Florence, Samuel Kendall, and Thatcher. My grandfather, Samuel Kendall Gifford was blind for 17 years. He was set apart as patriarch after he became blind. He could do many things such as gardening. He could tell the difference between vegetables and weeds by the feel of the plants, as he crawled on his hands and knees in the garden to weed it. He also dried fruit for winter use. While in Missouri, my grandfather (John Jones Allred) was asked if he was one of those “damn” Mormons. His answer was, “Anything, but not a damn Mormon,” He escaped some of the punishment that the saints were subject to. My parents were pioneers, also my grandparents. They also came across the plains. My father’s parents were from Missouri. My father, Oliver DeMille, was born in Manti, Utah. He had two wives, my mother being the first, the second, Emily Hepworth. He had 20 children. Fourteen by mother, six by Aunt Em’s. Father was bishop of Springdale for about 19 years. My mother was born in Smithville, Clay (Platt) county, Missouri. She came across the plains when she was 9 years old, with the David H. Cannon Co. He later became president of the St. George Temple. One time before my mother and father were married, they were sitting in the house and a big blow snake dropped from the roof between them. The house was made of logs with willows and then dirt on top of that, also a dirt floor. My father and mother were married in Shunesburg Washington County, Utah. I (Adelia) was born by the help of Great Grandmother Black, a midwife. She was my step-grandmother. Her name was Arsula. She married my grandfather after the death of my father’s mother. Arsula had six children who were sealed to, Grandfather Gifford. One of the daughters, Mahala Ruth, married Thomas Winder. They had two children, Arsula Ett and John Augustus Winder. Grandfather and Arsula raised these two children. I lived on a farm, milked cows, worked in the fields, pitched hay, wheat, hoed corn. I never had a pair of shoes to wear for either summer or winter until about Christmas time. Sometimes they would be some that someone else had worn sometimes boys’ shoes. Our dresses were made of denim. Most of the time I worked outside, but also in the house. My mother did most of the cooking so we could do other things. When the work was done in the house, Mother would come out in the fields to work. I would rather have been outdoors then a girl at home, so I worked in the field a lot. It always bothered me as I had to wash dishes at night after working outside all day. I worked in the day, rode horses to cultivate or furrow out corn or other things. I also piled hay, shackled wheat, and hoed corn. I loved to go out in the fields when the horses were put out for the winter and ride them around, and then when I had learned to ride well enough, father would let me ride them out on the highway. When I was small, about 5 or 6, John Winder gave me a lamb to raise. After it was grown it chased me up a fence; I barely escaped. My father then killed it for meat. I remember how bad I felt. Also when I was small, I was sent after some wood. My sister, Rozette was cutting it at the time. She raised it and it came down the width of the ax on my head. I was 3 or 4 at the time and thereafter was subject to nose bleeds most of my life. We lived on the hill in Springdale, where my brother Kendall lives now in a two room house. My father bought a house just under the hill from this place, unfinished. My father being a carpenter, finished it. My father and mother lived in Shunesburg, Kane County, Utah until after 4 children were born. I can’t remember how young I was when I started milking cows. Only in the winter time did we have shoes, then we younger ones would get the ones our older brother and sisters had outgrown, All our underwear were factory made. (Now called Muslin). In my childhood, I had a friend, Hattie Gifford, my cousin. Our fathers were brothers. We had great times together. We helped our fathers’ milk 13 or 14 cows then we would go into the pastures, jump on the horses and ride around awhile. We were happy and had very nice times. Everyone got together and made our own entertainment. I was in most of the plays that were put on. My sister, Margie, and I were very much alike for doing things, we loved to ride horses and go places together, and she and I were the ones they chose to dress up as Indians. We would put cocoa on our face and hands, put on wig for the 4th and 24th of July for the fun we had. Rockville and Springdale always joined together for these celebrations one time it would be in our town, the next to the other. My father and father-in-law always played in the Band for these celebrations. Father played the snare drum. The band used a white topped buggy and a beautiful team of horses, owned by my father-in-law, John F. Dennett. They would go from one town to the other early in the morning playing. It was very pleasing. My father’s brother Freeborn played the big drum. Different ones played the fife. It was a large band at first but as the men died, no one replaced them. Father was away from home a lot of the time. He did carpenter work. I had pneumonia when I was around 11 years old and was very sick for a month or so. My father came and knelt on my bed and told me to have faith with him that he was going to administer to me; right away I started to get well. My father was also my Sunday school teacher. He gave all the class handkerchiefs; he gave me one with pink flowers on it as I had admired it so much. The rest were all blue. I had my first gingham dress at this time, all the others I had were made of denim. My half-sister, Esther, also had one like it. My sister and I were proud of our dresses. We went down in the field to show father. When I was about 10, I was riding a horse helping my brother, Jesse plow. The horse became scared and started to run. He went under a tree and scraped me off. My feet were caught in the reins and I was dragged. We were taught the true principles of the gospel in our home. We always read a chapter or two out of some book every night. William Crawford was the first bishop in Springdale. My father was a counselor, Squire Hepworth, the other. He was Aunt Em’s father. Later my father was bishop in Springdale for 19 years, with Isaac Langston and Thornton Hepworth as counselors. We always had family prayer around the table at night and morning with all members of the family present, each one taking their turn. The corn meal that was used for bread was ground by hand on a small hand mill. We always had plenty of milk, eggs and butter and plenty of vegetables which we raised, also meat. We all worked in the fields when necessary. My first grade teacher was Joe Workman, the second grade teacher, David Hirschi. We played the games that children played in those days. I always classed as the fastest runner. We made up a lot of games, and we would put on plays. We also had religion classes in our school once a week. We had small cards with Bible references on to look up and study for Sunday school class. We had Sunday school in the morning on Sunday. Sacrament Meeting at 2 in the afternoon. Once a month our Fast Meeting was held on Thursday morning at 10 a.m. I married Daniel Quimby Dennett on May 4, 1902 in the St. George Temple. He was born in Rockville just southwest of Springdale. His father was John Fayben Dennett; his mother, Rebecca Alvira Stout. We knew each other all our lives. He went with my older sister, Emily before I went with him. One time I crawled under the porch to hear what he and Emily were saying and my sister, Emeret, told on me. Emily told me to get out or she would scald me, so of course I crawled out. They went together for a while, then Dan and I started going together, I did go out some with one of his brothers John, but it didn’t last very long. This was before I meant Dan. We would always go for a walk and just talk. They didn’t have movies in those days. He came to see me every Wednesday and Sunday. He was a very nice, courteous man. He hated vulgarity and never used bad language. He was very refined. When we were married we went in a buggy to St. George. It took us all day. It was late at night when we arrived, we left our team at George Lang’s as he was a very good friend of ours. We also stayed there. We went through the Temple the next day and were married by David Cannon, the man who led the company of saints when my mother crossed the plains. We left the Temple about 4 o’clock in the afternoon and started home in the evening. We arrived home during the night or early morning. We lived with my husband’s parents in one of their rooms and ate with the family, we stayed there for nearly two years. In the summer my in-laws went to Kolob to a ranch there which they had. Dan and I stayed on in Rockville taking care of the place. We raised a garden, picked cherries, prunes and all kinds of fruit and did all the canning. My husband took a homestead on Kolob moving there in the summer and back in the winter for 9 years, He finally built a house in the west end of Rockville. The place where his sister, Thora DeMille, lives now. I enjoyed the place at Kolob. We raised pigs and had a few cattle. I was happy in my married life. My husband was very good to me. We didn’t have much but every cent we did have was gotten honestly. My husband hated vulgarity, We worked together on the farm and in the fall he freighted taking dried fruit, molasses and anything else we might have to the North, and would bring back anything we could use. My first baby, a boy was born in Rockville on January 28, 1903. He was premature and had convulsions. He broke out with big blisters. He died in 3 weeks. After he died we took his clothes off and all his skin on his arms rolled down to his wrists. I stayed with my mother-in-law when he was born. After he died I got very ill and went to Springdale and stayed with my mother until I was better. Dan stayed with his folks and worked for them. I had a big abscess on my left leg, in the groin. The Stake Relief Society President came to Springdale to a meeting and heard that I had this abscess. Her name was Sister Jan Blake. She came to mothers and said she would like to pray for me. She got olive oil and rubbed it on the abscess and prayed, in the prayer she said that I would get well without a doctor. My mother-in-law insisted that I go see a doctor, so we went by wagon as far as Toquerville. There we stayed with Brother Spillsbury, who was Stake Sunday School Superintendent. Sister Stansworth, a midwife, was with us. In the night I called her to tell her the abscess was broken. Sister Spillsbury gave us two of Brother Spillsbury’s white shirts to tie around my leg, and they were completely saturated. The promise in the prayer by Sister Blake came true. In June a small group went to St. George to conference Sister Blake invited us to dinner. She wanted to see if I was alright. Dan was away at work and couldn’t go with us. Sister Blake told the story of my illness and she said the ladies that were with her asked her if she remembered what she had said in the prayer. She told them no and asked us what she had said. We told her she had promised me I would get well without a doctor. She said that if she did, it was through the Lord. She said she had gone home and humbled herself before the Lord and asked him that the prayer would be answered, which it was. Many years afterwards, I went to Sister Blake’s home. She didn’t remember me. She was very old. I told her who I was and of the blessing she had given me. She cried and said she had been praying that I would come testify to her daughter (who was staying with her at the time) that this story was true, then she retold the story to her daughter. My second child, a boy named Graden was born September 8, 1904 and died the 28th of November, 1904. A little neighbor girl was rocking him. I had tied him in a big rocking chair. She rocked him so hard he fell out of the chair and hit his head on the hearth by the fireplace. A hearth is a flat stone placed on the floor in front of the fireplace. From that time on, the baby had convulsions until he died He was sick almost one month. The third child was a girl, Nerissa, born October 5, 1906. She took sick with intestinal flu, in those days we didn’t have a doctor close enough to get help in a hurry. It took 2 or 3 days to get help from one. She also had convulsions and everyone thought she would die. We did everything the midwife could think of to help her. We even gave her mustard baths. I told one lady, everyone thought she would die, but I knew she wouldn’t. At the time of this writing she is alive and the mother of 7 children, some dying in infancy. Note: Nerissa died after this was written on September 11, 1967. She had every disease a child could have. It was quite a struggle but the Lord blessed me and also her and she got well. The next child was also a girl, Beatrice, born May 5, 1909 with long dark hair and brown eyes. This was the day of our 7th anniversary. She weighed 5 pounds 5 ounces, short, healthy, and strong. Everyone wanted to see such a small baby. The fifth child, a boy, was curly headed, Named Leighton, born March 25, 1911. He had beautiful blue eyes. He has been called curly most of his life for the curly hair, it curled so tight that his head tanned between the curls. The sixth child, a girl named Una LaRu was born October 31, 1912. She had blue eyes and beautiful blond hair. My husband had curly hair that is where my children got their curly hair. . When Florence was small Dan said he couldn’t stand to have her spanked, her cry was so pitiful. The seventh child, Florence was born August 28, 1914. She had brown eyes and was a pretty baby. We moved to Springdale at this time and lived in my Brother Williams’s house. It was a log house and was located across the street from his house. A filling station is located there now, next door to my sister, Lora’s home. I had a sick spell at this time, my mother-in-law was a midwife. She told my husband to expect the worst. She called the doctor. My husband came and stood over my bed and said, “You won’t give up, will you?” I asked him what he meant, that I had too many children to die. The move to Springdale was October 24, 1914, on my birthday. We sold our home in Rockville, and my husband went to Short Creek to survey with Dave Rusk and Mr. Lartzson. He stayed there for some time. This is the time we moved to Springdale from the farm. We sold the place in Rockville to Andrew Silar. He moved in with us before we moved out. When we went back for the rest of our furniture, he wouldn’t let us have it. We never did get it. He paid us $100.00 on the place signing a horse as security. The money was never paid back. My husband took out a homestead on the Big Plains close to Short Creek, Arizona. When the money wasn’t paid back, he went to where the horse was and took it. When Silar heard that he had the horse, he came after it and threatened to shoot Dan. When Dan wouldn’t let him have the horse Silar drew a gun so Dan let him have the horse. When I heard he had threatened Dan, I took the baby, Florence, and went by horse out to the Big Plains to see him. When I came to a gate, I got off the horse, put the baby down, opened the gate, took the horse through, shut the gate, got on the horse, then reached down and got the baby and went on. This was after school started. Some of my children were in school. My neighbors and my parents cared for them while I was away. David Hirschi caught up with me and rode part of the way. He said I had a lot of courage to do such a thing. Dan was glad to see me, When I saw that he was alright, I went back home. Dan came home when all the things at the homestead had been taken care of for the winter. We were at the homestead one year all together. While there during the summer we planted a patch of melons. Everything was raised on dry land. There was no irrigation. The melons were so large in the fall we weighed one, it was 42 pounds. The 8th child, a boy Wesley was born April 1, 1917. He wasn’t very well and was a cross boy. He was short and chunky. He looked like a cupid doll. He was a very loving child as he grew up. The ninth child, a girl, Lucy was born January 29, 1920. She had wavy brown hair, a very cute baby. At this time we were living on a farm southwest of Springdale, which we had purchased from Jim Blackburn. My husband was going away to work, so we moved into town in a 2 room house, across from my sister Marjorie’s to wait for this baby. One day after she was born, gypsies came to town. She came to my home and when she saw this baby she wanted to hold her. The children were so scared for fear she would steal her. (Note: from Lucy: many times since my brothers and sisters have told me they wish she had taken me.) I was making bread at the time so I washed my hands and took the baby. We moved back to the farm in the spring. About this time, our daughter Beatrice, slept overnight with some friends. She caught the 7 year itch. It was a miserable hard to cure disease. We finally all came down with it. We used sulpher and lard for some time before it was cured. We were quite put out to think this family wouldn’t say something about it before we let our daughter sleep there. A perfect beautiful baby boy was born September 10, 1921. He died when 1 week old. He was named for my husband, Daniel Quimby Dennett. My mother-in-law was still a midwife and she took care of me. We expected this baby for some time before he came. My husband would drive to Rockville each night and bring my mother-in-law up for the night and take her back in the morning. She came and took care of the baby until he died. The doctors and midwives I had for some of my children were Sister Hall, Rebecca Dennett, my mother-in-law and when the first baby was so sick, Sister Stansworth was called and also were the Elders. The second baby we had Sister Stansworth, our only doctor, and Grandma Dennett. For the fourth baby, Sister Stansworth came and stayed for 3 weeks. Grandma Dennett was there for most of the rest of my children. Dan was always called on to butcher cattle for other people. He did all kinds of jobs to make an honest living. He loved children and was always playing with them. He was always kind and good to me. Never any cross words. He freighted dried food and different products north, and brought back flour and anything that could be used. We made soft water out of ashes by pouring water over the ashes and used the water for washing clothes. In the fall of 1921, we moved into a house owned by Isaac Langston back of the school house. Then Dan lifted a wagon box full of wet straw, he had been north freighting. He hurt himself. The doctor said he had caused a gallstone to slip into the duct causing the gall to run through the blood instead of the gall bladder, this caused cancer. Brother Isaac Langston’s daughter got married so we moved out of the house back to the farm. We stayed there until Dan got so sick in the winter (just before the last baby died) that they moved back to Springdale into a house up the lane, behind my sister Lora Christensen’s house. Dan was so sick he was bedfast, then he got the flu. He died the 23 of March, 1922. The flu was very bad that year. He was buried the 25th of March on our son, Leighton’s birthday. Very little hope he was offered because of the flu. The casket was made by the people of the town and the funeral was held outside our home, so the town people could attend, as we were all quarantined. The casket was placed on a wagon while the funeral was in progress and then on to the cemetery at Rockville. Some of the children had the flu, so some of the neighbors stayed outside the house while we went to the cemetery. We all had the flu after this. This was a very sad occasion and a very hard adjustment to make. I had seven children to raise with no insurance or help of any kind the county finally gave me $10.00 a month. With the help of my older children, I tried to run the farm during the summer. We raised sorghum cane and took care of the fruit we made our own molasses that year and had 18 gallons of beautiful clear molasses. The next year I rented the place to Cyrus Gifford and I went to work for the Union Pacific. They were building cabins and tourist accommodations in Zion National Park with Henry Scholsen as manager. I cleaned cabins, sewed, washed clothes for the workers. I worked there for several years. I had Lucy, my youngest child with me as she was still too young to leave with someone else. Henry Scholsen and his wife, Helen were very good to me and loved my little girl. The next manager, Pat Rogers and his wife, Peggy, were good to me and my family also. I was matron at the present lodge (burned down now) and new accommodations were built. I did dishes, waited tables and waited on 57 men that were building the lodge and cabins. I also did the washing for the kitchen. One year I stayed all summer and winter going home to see the children when I could. The year after my husband died I went with my brother and his wife and others by wagon to the Temple in St. George, which is always a comfort and have gone through many times since. I raised seven of my own children and two of my sister’s girls, Vermont and Sadie Dalley. Their mother had died. I also took care of LaRu’s two children, Joyce and Richard for five years when they were small and Lucy’s two, Alfred and Linda for four years. Then I went to Salt Lake and took care of Florence’s while she worked. I worked one year in the county hospital in Salt Lake taking care of the aged. I came back to Springdale and worked with Doctor McEntire as his nurse (practical).I had worked many years with my mother-in-law. Dr. McEntire said I was the best nurse on his line. I married Isaac Heber Langston in 1928. His wife had died several years before. At this time I still had three children at home, the rest being married I moved into his home, he had two sons living at home. Both were deaf and dumb, Claude from birth, Otto’s caused by an illness when he was a child, we became good friends with Otto, but Claude was very difficult to live with. At this time, 1965, Otto lives with his sister, Blanche, in Sandy, Utah, and works in Draper. Claude lives in Springdale with his sister Clarinda Wilson. My children learned to dearly love Brother Langston. He was very good to them. He lived until 1939. He had better health after we were married. I was very lonely without him. I had two pigs, three horses, five cows and some chickens when we were married; I finally sold them. The estate was settled after he died. It was very complicated and a heart breaking affair. After, I went to Salt Lake and worked for a Mrs. Watkiss taking care of her mother … for about six month then took sick and had a big abscess under my arm which took over a month to heal. Then I went to work at the County Hospital which I mentioned before. One of the patients I helped care for was Mary Rowe, who had lived in Springdale for many years. I then went to California and stayed with LaRu for two or three months. Lucy’s husband John Taylor, went to the Navy, so I went back to Salt Lake and took care of Lucy’s children while she worked. I took care of John Fairbanks Jr.’s children for three months in my daughter, Florence’s home. John is my sister Florence’s son. Lucy and John were divorced and we moved to Springdale for two and one-half years, then they decided to try marriage again Alfred was eight and Linda five. Lucy took the children and went back to Salt Lake. I was alone again. I have lived in Springdale, visiting with my children as I could. My knees have hurt me so badly I have not been able to work. My eyes have developed cataracts. I have been so bad; in 1964 I had one eye operated on and can’t see very well yet. I am preparing to have the other one operated on (1965). I went to Salt Lake but the doctor said to wait awhile. I went to Selecia, Montana, to visit Beatrice; stayed nearly all summer and came back to Salt Lake to make arrangements for the operation and then on to Springdale. My granddaughter, Donna Chillburg, brought me home from Montana. My Patriarchal blessing told me to visit my children and grandchildren’s homes and teach them the true principles of the gospel. When I was younger, I thought working and making a living were the most important things; but, as I grow older, I wonder why I did not sit down with my children more and teach them the true principles of the everlasting gospel, and learn to spell. I was taught these things at home, but after I was married I had children fast and had to work hard to raise them, so I did neglect many things. I have tried to make up for the things I did not do but time lost is gone forever. I have very nice children, but for what they don’t do is my neglect. I got a lot of joy raising my children and still do. I love my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. At this time (1965) I have 40 great grandchildren, 26 grandchildren, and 7 children alive. Three died in infancy, I thank my Father in Heaven for all of them. We were happy and had very nice times. Everyone got together and made our own entertainment. I was in most of the plays that were put on. I am now 79 years old and 20 at heart. I will be 80 on October 24, 1965. Forgive me, my children, for the things I did not do. October 5, 1965 – I have had the other eye operated on and am waiting to see if I will be able to read. The operation was on the 19th of August, 1965. Note: Her operation was not a success and she was nearly blind the last years of her life. This dearly beloved mother’s life came to an end on November 5, 1968, about 7:15 a.m. after eight months of intense suffering. She had been ill for a good many years off and on. She was nearly blind. Mother told all this to me. I wrote it as she told it to me. It isn’t in order but in her words.—Beatrice Emmett (Lucy D. Jacobsen) – After I had been asked to compile these histories, I wrote a letter to each of my brothers and sisters asking them to write what they could remember of her service. We can remember that she delivered many babies, nearly all the babies in Springdale, and many in Rockville, from the time Grandmother Rebecca Dennett became too old, until the time Wesley’s twins were born in 1943. Remember her in your hearts. Thanks to Joan Youngberg Hanson for re-typing this history and scanning photographs to accompany it. [Shirley Youngberg said she was a happy person. She stated she hid her coffee in the house so her husband didn't know, but he knew!] Adelia Gifford Dennett married Isaac Langston after Daniel Quimby Dennett died. When Isaac died she took back her Dennett name.

Lora Ann DeMille Gifford

Contributor: denis_ashton Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

LORA ANN DEMILLE GIFFORD My Great-Grandmother As compiled and written by Annie T. Matheson In searching the records I find very little on the life of my Great-Grandmother, Lora Ann DeMille Gifford. My great-grandfather, Samuel Kendall Gifford must have felt that it would be like bragging if he mentioned his wife or family in any way. Anyhow he does mention in his journal that he married Lora Ann and their first child was born at Mr. Pisgah and that she died in Shonesburg in 1870. With only this much to go on I want to try and make her life seem more real, so I took a little here and there from his Journal and add a few things that have been told me by members of her family. Lora Ann DeMille Gifford was a large woman who was good natured and “easy going”. She seldom scolded and never spanked her children – only spoke to them once and expected them to do as they were told without a second reminder. She was a daughter of Freeborn and Anna Knight DeMille; wife of Samuel Kendall Gifford and mother of carnelia Gifford Crawford (my Grandmother). She was born 2 June 1828 in the Township of Colesville, Broome Col, New York. She was very young during the early days of the church of which she became a member. She experienced much hardship and suffering during those days of persecution when the Saints were driven from their homes and forced to make new ones as they were driven Westward. On Sunday Oct. 1, 1848 Lora Ann was married to Samuel Kendall Gifford by President Edwin Whiting at Mt. Pisgah. It was here that her husband had been working to make a “fit-out” so they could go to the Rocky Mountains. He manufactured chairs, tables and other furnishings, took them to Quincy, Illinois, 250 miles by ox team to sell. In the spring of 1848 when President Edwin Whiting left for the valleys of the Mountains, Lora Ann’s husband told Brother Whiting that he was going to make four hundred chairs this year and go to the Valley next year. Brother Whiting didn’t think he could do it. But by getting up early in the mornings and working late into the night, and by sheer determination, he succeeded in making the 400 chairs. There were many obstacles placed in his way. Since Samuel Kendall was a mechanic he had to buy all of his hay and grain for his oxen. The Emigrants were passing through “pretty briskly” on their way to the Gold Fields of California. The price of hay jumped from $2.00 to $20.00 per ton and corn from 10 cents to $3.00 per bushel. President Young had advised the Saints not to charge these high prices to their brethren, but few listened to this advice and since Samuel Kendall didn’t raise his own hay and grain he had to pay the “going price”. There were two exceptions his brother-in-law, Freeborn DeMille and Josiah Perry who let him have the produce at the old price. Then Samuel K, had the chills for three months. But in spite of these set-backs he accomplished what he said he would and sold his chairs for 62 ½ cents apiece in Cincinnati. Their first child, Alpheus, was born 26th of July, 1849 at Mt. Pisgah so it was in the spring of 1850 that they started for the Rock Mountains. They went to Council Bluffs to get Samuel Kendall’s mother, Anna Nash Gifford. They were joined by Uncle Levi Gifford and family. Then they all drove down to the lower ferry below the mouth of the Platte River. Here a great many Saints had gathered to be organized for the journey. They were organized into Brother Hawkins’ Hundred and Thomas Johnson’s fifty. Samuel Kendall’s team consisted of one yoke of oxen, one yoke of three-year old steers and one yoke of cows. They crossed the river on a flat boat and camped at the mouth of Salt Creek on the Platte Bottom. While they were camped here the Indians came into camp in great numbers, pilfering and stealing anything they could get their hands on. The people were about at their wits end wondering what to do when suddenly the word got around that there was smallpox in the camp and the Indians left more quickly than they came. It was about this time that the Cholera commenced its work in camp and many people died of the dread disease. Captain Thomas Johnson called his camp together and told them not to drink any of the clear water from the wells dug along the Platte Bottom, but to take it from the muddy waters of the river and not to use it until it was boiled. They were to fill all their utensils with this boiling water and to use only boiled water while traveling. He promised them that there would not be more than five die in their camp if they would heed this prophesy. The people followed his instructions and there were only five deaths in this camp while in the camps of those ahead as well as those coming after them, the people were dying at a “fearful rate”. Horror reigned in the camps of the gold seekers. They threw away feather beds, blankets, quilts and clothing of every kind. Fresh graves could be seen in every direction. They threw away their tires and irons of every description—gun barrels, stoves, etc. Even the bottom of the Sweetwater was lined with wagon tires, chains and other irons to lighten their loads so they could travel faster in order to get away from the cholera. These were the gold seekers who traveled in such panic. The companies of Pioneers continued their journey until they reach Ft. Laramie and camped fifteen miles below the fort. Here they saw some Indians of the Sioux nation. These were the first they had seen since those they saw at Salt Creek. They continued their journey to the Salt Lake Valley. Soon after arriving there they were asked to go and help strengthen the settlements of Manti in Sanpete County where they arrived in the fall of 1850 – just a year after the little town was founded. In the spring of 1851 Lora Ann’s second child and first daughter was born, Cornelia was born the 3rd of May, 1851. Then for the next twelve and one-half years the family struggled to make an existence the same as all others of that community, with the Indians constantly pestering them by stealing their cattle and now and then killing anyone found out away from the town such as herdsmen, millwrights, wood haulers, etc. Lora Ann’s husband continued in the business of chair maker, He went into partnership with Lora Ann’s brother, Oliver DeMille. Oliver ran the farm and Samuel Kendall ran the shop. They worked together this way for over a year. Five more children were born to this family while they lived at Manti: Cyrus, born Mar. 18, 1853; Oliver, born 10 Dec. 1854; Samuel Kendall, Jr., born 4 Apr. 1857; Freeborn, born 4 Jan. 1860; and Lora Ann, born 27 Mar. 1862. Child Stolen by Indians: There are many variations of this story as told by the different branches of the family, but the points most agreed upon are as follows: Lora Ann had gone on an errand as well as to visit a neighbor who lived on the other side of a small hill. One of the boys, supposedly Samuel Kendall, Jr. either followed or went with her. When they reached the hill the boy said he would take the trail around the opposite side of the hill and his mother could take this one and they would see who got their first. When Lora Ann got to the house the boy had not arrived so she went to meet him and soon saw the moccasin tracks of an Indian and her sons tracks ended there. The men folks were called in from the fields and a search was made of the surrounding mountains. Some say he was gone three days before they got him back. The boy cried so much that some of the tribe wanted to kill him and some wanted to trade him to other tribes. A council was held to decide what to do with him. Some wanted to keep him, but a decision was finally made to return him to his people. The boys’ father had a choice horse that the Indians wanted so it was traded for him plus “a large loaf of bread that was baked in a large Dutch oven”. When the boy got home his mother was bathing and dressing the baby and he was so tickled to see it again that he kissed the little naked body all over. Conch shells were used to call the men in from the fields in times of trouble. Annie C. Isom (my mother) thinks one was used to call the people together at this time. Her father had a shell in his possession for many years. In Rockville it was understood that if the men in the fields ever heard the blowing of this horn or shell they should drop whatever work they were doing and rush to the school house. The horn was never to be used except to call people together and it could be heard for many miles on a clear day when blown by a pair of strong lungs. When Springdale Ward got a church bell the old faithful conch was given to Bishop Willi R. Crawford (her father). She thinks it is now in the museum at Zion National Park . When the call came for the people to help settle the Dixie Country, Samuel Kendall and Lora Ann chose to go and make a home in Southern Utah. It was in November 1863 that they moved to Shonesburg, a little town on the East Fork of the Virgin River. While they lived there two more children were born to them: Adelia, born 17 July, 1867. Cyrus was about fifteen years old and Samuel Kendall was ten. Carnelia, the oldest daughter, married William R. Crawford 1 Nov. 1868 and they made their home in Rockville. Lora Ann had very poor health and only lived a few months after baby Moses was born. She died on the 6 of April, 1870 in Shonesburg, Kane Co., Utah at the age of 42 years. She was buried beside her two sons, Samuel Kendall, Jr. and Cyrus. Note: As a member of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers we are told that it is our duty to write of our Grandmothers as well as our Grandfathers. And since I had been told these stories I wanted to write them up. The information I haven’t taken from Samuel Kendall’s Journal was given me by my Aunt Emma Bell and my mother, Annie C. Isom. Esther Pierce told of the choice pony and large loaf of bread given to the Indians. It is too bad that these stories couldn’t have been written up first hand where they would be more accurate, but even as they are I am glad to have them in my records. Annie I. Matheson

Oliver DeMill Gifford, Sr.

Contributor: denis_ashton Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

OLIVER DEMILL GIFFORD, SR. Born 10 December 1854 in Manti, Sanpete, Utah, Oliver DeMill Gifford was the 4th of 10 children of Samuel Kendall Gifford, Sr. and Lora Ann DeMill. He had 5 brothers and 4 sisters: Alpheus, Cornelia, Cyrus (who died at age 12), and Samuel Kendall Jr. (who died at age 10), Sophronia (who was born dead), Freeborn DeMill, Lora Ann (who became my great grandmother), Adelia Mariah, and Moses Elias. In about 1860, Oliver was given a Patriarchal Blessing by one of his father’s dearest friends, Isaac Morley, though just a boy of about 6. He was promised many great blessings which were all fulfilled in his life. Oliver’s parents were pioneer immigrants to Utah. They arrived on the 11th of September 1850 in the Thomas Johnson Company and in November 1850 settled in Manti, Sanpete County. Oliver’s father was born 11th of November 1821 in Milo, Yates, New York, the son of Alpheus Gifford and Anna Nash. His grandfather, Alpheus, was a prominent member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from his baptism in mid –1830 to his death in Nauvoo in 1841. His grandmother Anna came with his parents to Utah. Oliver’s mother was born 2nd of June 1828 in Colesville, Broome, New York, the daughter of Freeborn DeMill and Anna Knight. His grandparents were among the early members of the L.D.S. Church in 1830 as were his great grandparents Joseph and Polly Knight. During most of the 12 years the Gifford’s lived in Manti, they had to “keep constant vigilance against the Indians.” They had to have guards and lookouts at “strategic points” who were constantly on the alert no matter what the settlers were doing whether herding cattle, hauling wood, or farming outside the fort. In 1856 when Oliver was less than 2 years old, 3-year old Cyrus was stolen by the Indians who kept him for three days. Finally the Indians brought him home because he cried too much and traded him back to his very relieved parents for their best horse and a large loaf of bread. Cyrus was so glad to be home that when he came in the house and saw his mother bathing little Oliver, he kissed him all over. In November 1863, when Oliver was nearly 9 years old, his family moved from Manti to Washington County in Southern Utah to help settle the little town of Shunesburg. Shunesburg had been founded by his uncle Oliver DeMill the previous year. Oliver was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints the 15th of May 1864 by his father, probably in Shunes Creek. In 1864, when he was 10, Oliver accompanied his 15-year old brother to Salt Lake City via ox team with a load of cotton. It took them six weeks to make the round trip. In 1865 the Black Hawk Indian War began. Oliver was too young to fight, but his father and older brother, Alpheus, both served in the war. The Indians continued to cause the settlers some uneasiness even after the war was over. Oliver remembered when he and two of his brothers had gone across the river from Rockville to dig Oose root for soap. The sun was shining brightly and some of the people in town saw the bright reflections from axes and though the Indians were coming. The alarm was sounded and a posse of mounted and armed men was quickly on its way across the river to intercept the “Indians”. Oliver used to say, “I tell you we were frightened when we saw those men coming and we put down our axes in a hurry. We made our way as quickly as possible to where the men could see us and tell that we were not Indians. They laughed about the incident in later years but it was no laughing matter at the time. Another time, Oliver noticed the Indians go up the canyon past the sorghum mill quite a few days in succession. Finally he got curious and went to see what was going on. He discovered they had been getting molasses from the mill and making candy with it, They had candy spread out over all of the flat rocks in the area to cool and harden, they thought they had been pretty smart! Not all of the Indian encounters were funny as several settlers were killed by them during those years. Oliver remembered going with the men to help hunt the bodies of Whitmore and McIntrye when they were killed by Indians near Pipe Springs. He also helped find the Berry’s who were killed by Indians. These terrible tragedies took their toll on the settlers and many never got over their fear of the Indians even when they knew that the danger from them was over. In August 1868, at age 14, Oliver hovered near death and was miraculously brought back by the power of the Priesthood and completely healed. He was ordained an Elder at that time by his father and Walter Stringham. He never forgot that incident and it added much to his great faith in the Power of God. In June of 1870, when Oliver was 15 years old, his mother passed away at the age of 41. She had never fully recovered from the birth of her last child in June of 1869. This was a great sorrow to the Gifford home and family. By the time Oliver was 18 he was “keeping company” on a regular basis with 18 year old Alice Virginia Allred (see picture of Alice on Page 15) Alice was born the 27 of April 1854 in Smithville, Clay, Missouri, the eldest daughter of John Jones Allred and Mary Young Bridgeman. She came to Utah with her parents at age 7, arriving in Utah in 1861 with the David H. Cannon Company. The Allred family spent the first winter in Coalville, Summit County, but did not like the cold weather there. So in 1862, when President Young asked for volunteers to move to Southern Utah, they were among the families who agreed to go. They were one of the first families to help settle Shunesburg in Washington County. Oliver’s older brother, Alpheus, was courting a young lady from nearby Rockville, Sarah Elizabeth Hanson, at the same time. Both couples had decided to get married and so made it a double wedding. They were married on the 11th of September 1873 in Rockville. Oliver and Alice made their home in Shunesburg. Oliver and Alice’s marriage was solemnized in the St. George Temple the 1rst of February 1877 by Erastus Snow one month after the temple’s completion. Oliver and Alice had 14 children, 5 sons and 9 daughters. The first 4 children were born in Shunesburg: Oliver DeMill Jr., born June 1874 and died at less than a month old; William Henry, born October 1875; Sarah Jane, born October 1876 and died as an infant; and John Jones (named for Alice’s father), born October 1877. Because of extensive flooding, in 1874, Oliver’s father moved his family from Shunesburg to Springdale, 6 miles up the Virgin River. In the fall of 1875, Oliver moved his family to Springdale. He later described the area thus: “The Rio Virgin which flows through the canyon was a narrow clear stream with sodded banks and the bottom, or lowlands, was covered with a heavy growth of timber. Grass covered the hills and plains everywhere. As additional settlers came in, timber was slaughtered and hills grazed and in time the rains made heavy inroads all through the valley until now fully fifty percent of the land has been taken away, the river bed being from fifty feet to one quarter mile wide.” It was in Springdale where the rest of Alice’s children were born. Mary Emily was born May 1879 and Lora Ann (my grandmother) was born March 1881. Emerett was born November 1882; Rozette was born February 1884; Adelia was born October 1885; Sylvia was born February 1888; Margery was born February 1890; Florence was born May 1892; Samuel Kendall was born April 1894; and Thatcher was born June 1896 and died at age 14 months. Besides the land in Shunesburg, Oliver owned several acres up in what in now Zion Park (that plot is now a campground); about an acre in the middle of Springdale, and six acres at the lower end of town. After moving to Springdale, he joined his father and brothers in the family chair shop part of the time. The chairs they made were wooden frames with rawhide seats. The wooden parts for the backs, rungs, and legs of the chair were made on a foot powered turning lathe. Cow “hides were soaked in lime water and then the hair would be scraped off, after which the hide would be stretched and tacked to the bare floor and the cutting would be from the center. The scraps were boiled into glue which was used in putting the chairs together.” The chair was then put together and the strips of rawhide woven into a seat. Then “the finished article [was] freshly painted and puttied [and] was stood out of doors to dry. Many an old traveler will remember them gleaming brightly in the sunlight.” Oliver also worked for homebuilders Christian Larsen Christensen and helped build homes all over the area. He also helped build both the St. George and Logan temples. Oliver came from a very musical family. His father played the violin and taught music to his own children and others. His oldest brother, Alpheus, played the piccolo, the violin, and banjo; Oliver played the fife and drum (note the picture on page 16 of Oliver with his drum); and his younger brother, Freeborn, played the drums. They played in the Rockville Martial Band organized by Major Edward Hommer Duzette, who was the former leader of the Nauvoo Legion Brass Band in Nauvoo. Major Duzette even taught some of the Rockville Band members to play their instruments. The band played at all the public gatherings for years and in towns all over Southern Utah. For years the band awakened the town every 4th and 24th of July with their lively music. They also organized an orchestra which played for dances and parties all over the area. They usually played for President Brigham Young when he visited Rockville or Shunesburg and the band had the privilege of playing for the Prince of Sweden when he visited Zion National Park. Oliver and three other band members also played for President Harding when he visited the park. On June 1882, Oliver married Emily Ann Hepworth (see picture of Emily and Oliver with some of their family on page 15) as his plural wife. Emily was born 12 of December 1865 in Smithfield Cache, Utah, the daughter of Squire Hepworth and Emily Dyson. She was known as “Aunt Em” to all of Alice’s children and Oliver built her a home across the street from Alice’s home in Springdale. She bore Oliver 6 children, 2 sons and 4 daughters: Jesse, born August 1883; Esther born November 1884; Minerva, born March 1886 and died at age two; Alpheus, born August 1889; Ethel, born January 1895; and Cornelia, born June 1899. Throughout those years the threat of prosecution for living polygamy was very real. Those living in Southern Utah were somewhat safer than in the north due to the distances the enforcement officers had to come and the availability of hiding places in the many canyons around, but the threat was still there. My grandmother, Lora, used to relate stories about how she and her brothers and sisters had to be taught to be wary of strangers and never to reveal the whereabouts of their father to anyone they didn’t know. On June 1885, Oliver was ordained to the office of Seventy by Edward Stevenson and Jacob Gates. Oliver had a great deal of respect for an ox team, especially after the following incident took place. “One time he and Gus Durfee went out to Long Valley for some lumber. As they were coming home, a large herd of wild cattle overtook and surrounded them. They were obliged to walk back and forth beside their load with their black whips constantly beating at the bellowing animals. After what seemed to them an eternity, the leader of the herd gave a great puff, pawed the ground with fury and very suddenly whirled about and galloped away, his herd close behind him. They ran for a distance of about three miles, turned, pawed the ground and came back again. Once more they seemed about to attack. The leader looked at them, again pawed the ground and finally gave a great puff and galloped away again.” Oliver said “some of those horns looked like great arms reaching out to them.” He always felt the Lord had been watching over them or they would have been killed. On 6 November 1887 when the Springdale Ward was organized, Oliver was ordained a High Priest and set apart as the 2nd Counselor to Bishop William R. Crawford (his brother-in law). He served in this capacity until 5 September 1895, when Bishop Crawford was released and Oliver was ordained and set apart as the new Bishop of Springdale Ward by Apostle Francis M. Lyman. He held that position for 18 years, until 1913. (See picture of Bishopric on page 17 and other Priesthood leaders on page 16). “Bishop Gifford” as Oliver was called the rest of his life, got a lot of enjoyment out of the youth of the Ward. He told of one group of boys who gathered at his place and were going to change the wheels of his wagon. They didn’t know that the bishop, himself, was standing in the shadows close to his house and could hear every word they said. They talked about how they would put one front wheel on the back and the back wheel on the front. Since the wheels on the back of the wagon were much larger than the front wheels, the result wouldn’t be very good. “Imagine their consternation when they heard the Bishop’s voice out of the shadows; ‘Now boys, I don’t believe I would do that if I were you, it might make it tippy.” Bishop would laugh and tell how quickly those boys scattered. Another time, a group of girls decided to exchange milk cows for some of the neighbors. They took the cows from one neighbor’s corral and put them into the corral of another neighbor and then took the second neighbor’s cows and put them in the corral of the first. The next morning they waited for fuss they thought they had caused, but nothing happened. Finally, when they couldn’t stand the suspense any longer, they asked about the cows. No one knew what they were talking about as all the cows had been in the corrals they belonged in. They finally learned that a group of boys had had the same idea the same night, so the cows just got changed back into the corrals they belonged in. Bishop Gifford got a very good laugh out of that one. Oliver “wasn’t very sympathetic with people who were smart allics”. One day a young fellow of this type was visiting at his place and seeing a peculiar looking round flat object up under the eaves of the house said, “I’ll bet I could knock that down with a rock.” Now Oliver did not enjoy showing off, so he just kept still and let the fellow throw. He was a good shot and brought down the object he had thrown at, but he didn’t enjoy the reaction of the wasps. He found out that he could run, too, but didn’t brag about that either! Bishop Gifford was an excellent farmer and was particularly known for his wonderful melons. However, he always felt keenly his lack of formal education. One time he was entertaining a very well educated guest at his home. His visitor was particularly fond of melons, so Bishop took him out in the field to get a good melon to eat. “He started to pick one up and the visitor said, “How can you tell when they are ripe? [Bishop] pointed to quite a number of nearby melons and said, “Oh I just tell by the looks. Now that one is green, this one almost ripe enough to eat, but not quite. This one is ripe, we will take it.” He picked up the melon and started toward the house. The visitor looked at him with awe and said, “And you say you are not educated.” In 1906 or 1907, Oliver and his brother-law, William Crawford bought the mill and cable on Cable Mountain from the Flannigan’s. It was estimated that in one year they put out 125,000 feet of lumber. In the time they owned the operation, they put out over a million feet of lumber. To do the work more rapidly and easily, they bought new, heavier wire for the cable and a new engine for the saw mill. This cable system was used until the Zion tunnel was built through the mountain, making possible vehicle travel between Washington, Kane, and Garfield counties. Mail and other things were also hauled up and down on the cable. One of the summers he was part owner in the cable, he worked at the bottom taking lumber off and sending supplies up. A story has been passed down through the family about how, supposedly, Oliver and the man at the top of the cable had a misunderstanding and Oliver is said to have kept putting heavier and heavier rocks on the cable to be pulled up the mountain with the load until the poor man finally begged Oliver to stop the rocks and agreed to meet half way down the mountain to settle their dispute. After the practice of polygamy was stopped in the Church, Oliver stayed with Alice and her family, though he provided support for both families. In September 1923, Oliver and Alice celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary with their large family. In about 1927, Alice broke her hip and could no longer get around. With the assistance of their daughter, Florence Fairbanks who came down from her home in Salt Lake City to help, Oliver took care of Alice until her death on the 26th of Oct 1928, at the age of 74. She was buried in the Springdale Cemetery. Oliver then went to live with Emily and her family for the next four years until his death on the 3rd of September 1932 at age 78. He was buried beside Alice in the Springdale Cemetery. Emily died on the 23rd of October 1936 at age 71 and was buried beside Oliver and Alice. Oliver had 20 children, 16 of which grew to maturity. Most lived to be in their 80’s and two in their 90’s. Two children never married, but the other 14 all raised large families that were a credit to their parents and grandparents. His many posterity remember him or the stories about his dedication to duty, his delightful sense of humor, and his musical abilities with great fondness. Compiled by: Virgie c. Stromberg, Great Granddaughter, August 1986, Riverdale Utah. Submitted to Daughters of Utah pioneers, Weber County West Company, Riverdale Pearl Child Camp, 23 April 1987. Rewritten with new information January 1989 and resubmitted 23 March 1989. Sources: “The Latter-Day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia”, Andrew Jensen; Vol. 4: Deseret News Press; Salt Lake City, Utah; 1901: Pages 538-539 “An Enduring Legacy”, Daughters of Utah Pioneers; Vol 4; Utah Printing Company; Salt Lake City, Utah; 1981: Page 361 “Bands and Orchestras”, Lesson for October 1976; Kate B. Carter; Daughters of Utah Pioneers; Salt Lake City, Utah; Pages 125-126 “Journal Book”, Samuel Kendall Gifford; dated 3 September 1864; from L.D.S. Church Archives; published in “The Gifford Family”, Gifford Family Organization; St George, Utah; 1984-85: Page 419. Book of Wards and Stakes of L.D.S. church at Ogden Genealogical Library, page 829. “History of Alpheus Gifford”, by daughter Elsie Gifford McGee and submitted to Daughters of Utah Pioneers by granddaughter Myrna McGee Smith, 17 May 1956. “A History of Carnelia Gifford Crawford” written by granddaughter Annie Isom Matheson, about 1967. “A Brief History of Zion Canyon and Springdale to 1947” by Nancy C. Crawford and Merwin G. Fairbanks; J-Mart Publishing Company. Spanish Fork, Utah; 1972 by Gifford Family Organization. Personal records of Virgie C. Stromberg; 5180 South 1225 West, Riverdale, Utah 84405


Contributor: denis_ashton Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

ALICE VIRGINIA ALLRED GIFFORD BIRTHDATE: 27 April 1854 Richmond, Platte County, Missouri DEATH: 26 October 1928 Springdale, Washington, Utah PARENTS: John Jones Allred & Mary Young Bridgeman PIONEER: 16 August 1861 David H. Cannon Wagon Train SPOUSE: Oliver D. Gifford MARRIED: 11 September 1873 Shonesburg, Utah DEATH OF SPOUSE: 3 September 1932 Springdale, Washington, Utah CHILDREN: Oliver DeMille Jr., 22 June 1874 William Henry, 8 Oct. 1875 Sarah Jane, 27 Oct. 1876 John Jones, 16 Oct. 1877 Mary Emily (Russell), 6 May 1879 Lora Ann (Christensen), 13 Mar 1881 Emerett (Johnson), 30 Nov 1882 Rosette (Lemmon), 15 Feb 1884 Adelia (Dennett), 24 Oct. 1885 Sylvia (Dalley), 9 Feb. 1888 Margery (Johnson), 2 Feb. 1890 Florence (Fairbanks), 11 May 1892 Samuel Kendall, 8 April 1894 Thatcher, 5 June 1896 (died as an infant) Alice Virginia was born 1854, Missouri into a family who were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When she was seven years old they crossed the Plains. They arrived in August, 1861, and settled in Coalville where they remained for the winter. They were later called to settle in Shonesburg. Her father had rheumatism and was unable to work. Alice Virginia helped to do the farm work. She also worked at a loom in the Washington Factory and wove carpets. On September 11, 1873 Alice Virginia married Oliver DeMille Gifford in Rockville, Utah. This was a civil marriage, but was later solemnized in the St. George Temple. Their first home was a cellar with a willow or bark roof covered with dirt. She was terrified of the snakes that could enter through the roof and was happy indeed when she could move into a little log house with a board floor. Alice Virginia supported her husband in his church callings and cared for her family while he served as bishop for nineteen years. She did much of the farm work, raising chickens, milking cows, and tending to a fine garden. She gleaned wheat, dried fruit, gathered straw and braided hats, and gathered pine nuts from the mountains. She also made all the clothing for her family. She entertained many notable people in her home. When her husband entered polygamy she loved the other wife and became the best of friends. In addition to her own children, she raised three little granddaughters. In later years, Alice suffered from rheumatism and a broken hip, but was patient and never complained. Pioneer Women of Faith and Fortitude Volume II F to L. Pg.1084 International Society Daughters of Utah Pioneers “Alice Virginia Allred was entertaining her best beau in the family dugout and a large snake dropped through the dirt roof onto his lap. Nevertheless, these dugouts meant home and shelter to them”. Pg. 349 UNDER DIXIE SUN, Washington County Chapter D.P.U. Printed by Garfield County News Panguitch, Utah

Life Timeline of Oliver D Gifford

Oliver D Gifford was born on 10 Dec 1854
Oliver D Gifford was 6 years old when American Civil War: Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate forces. The American Civil War was a war fought in the United States from 1861 to 1865. As a result of the long-standing controversy over slavery, war broke out in April 1861, when Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina, shortly after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated. The nationalists of the Union proclaimed loyalty to the U.S. Constitution. They faced secessionists of the Confederate States, who advocated for states' rights to expand slavery.
See More
Oliver D Gifford was 25 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
See More
Oliver D Gifford was 30 years old when Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is published in the United States. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a novel by Mark Twain, first published in the United Kingdom in December 1884 and in the United States in February 1885. Commonly named among the Great American Novels, the work is among the first in major American literature to be written throughout in vernacular English, characterized by local color regionalism. It is told in the first person by Huckleberry "Huck" Finn, the narrator of two other Twain novels and a friend of Tom Sawyer. It is a direct sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
See More
Oliver D Gifford was 44 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
See More
Oliver D Gifford was 49 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
See More
Oliver D Gifford was 60 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
See More
Oliver D Gifford was 73 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
See More
Oliver D Gifford died on 3 Sep 1932 at the age of 77
Grave record for Oliver D Gifford (10 Dec 1854 - 3 Sep 1932), BillionGraves Record 3243516 Springdale, Washington, Utah, United States