Thomas Richards

25 May 1846 - 12 Feb 1920


Thomas Richards

25 May 1846 - 12 Feb 1920
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

(Written by Ellen Richard Dayton Jackson) My Grandma (Elizabeth Bowen Richards) came from Wales to North Ogden, Utah for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She brought four small children with her (among them Tom, my father), and left four more in Wales with heir father, Grandpa Willia
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Thomas Richards
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Thomas Richards


Wilford Cemetery

225 N Rd
St. Anthony, Fremont, Idaho
United States


May 24, 2012


May 17, 2012

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Thomas...

We found more records about Thomas Richards.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Thomas


Thomas Richards is buried in the Wilford Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Ellen Richard Dayton Jackson

Contributor: Jeanette_Allan Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

(Written by Ellen Richard Dayton Jackson) My Grandma (Elizabeth Bowen Richards) came from Wales to North Ogden, Utah for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She brought four small children with her (among them Tom, my father), and left four more in Wales with heir father, Grandpa Williams Richards. Later, when father was a grown man, he sent money back so two more brothers could join him. Reece and John came. Reece put in a Blacksmith shop in Brigham City, and John settled in North Ogden. My father, Tom Richards, told of his first great testimony, which occurred while coming from Wales, with his mother and a group of Saints, in an open sail boat. Each time the wind started to roll those big waves, they’d all kneel down and pray, and the waves would calm right down. The first day after grandmother’s and Fathers’ arrival in North Ogden (while camped with other emigrants in the public square), a little girl named Adelaide Rose, (later to be my mother), came along that street on her way to primary. She was astonished to see among those new emigrants, a little boy with a little blue cap on his head, (Tom Richards) for she had seen him previously in a dream in which he had pulled her from a hole. She ran home to tell her mother the unusual experience and was told “maybe he will be your future husband, Adelaide”! As a way of explanation, mother never knew until she was nearly eighteen years old that her own mother, Minerva Clothier Rose, had died when she was 9 days old in Council Bluffs, Iowa. She had been raised by her Father’s sister-in-law, Mary Rose (wife of George, a brother to Grandpa Ralph Rose). Mary Rose had no girls and so mother was raised with her nine boys, believing them to be her real brothers. Grandpa Ralph Rose married again to Sophronia Rose, so Aunt Sadie Woodfield is Mother’s half sister, also Mary and three half-brothers, “Jode” Willard, and Wilson (killed while hauling hay). As far as any full brothers or sisters which my mother had, we have no record, but I do remember Mother going to Provo to see someone she called “Sister Minerva” and she gave her a cow. What Aunt Mary had told my mother did come true, for she and Thomas Richards were married in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. They had ten children. I was number five. Tom, William (Bill), Elizabeth (Lizzie), George (fulfilled a mission in Oregon), Ellen (Nell), Pearl, Minerva, Addie (died of diphtheria of the heart at approx. 6 years old), Reece, and Daisy. My parents lived in Malad for a few years where Tom and perhaps some of the others were born. Then they moved back to North Ogden where I was born December 13, 1877. We lived near (Tillo) Williams, then later near them again in Chester where my son Glen married one of his granddaughters. I went to school in North Ogden with Mame Taylor, and in 1948, renewed acquaintances with her as Mrs. Hillam. My first testimony occurred when I heard Eliza R. Snow speak in tongues in church one day when I heard Eliza R, Snow speak in tongues in church one day. It frightened me then for I was only a child, until another lady, Zina R. Young, explained and interpreted it as a message from God. They didn't know one boy from another, but they named and picked each one from the front row who would fulfill a mission when they grew up, each one of them did too. I was in several plays in Ogden’s theaters while only a child. Once I was to be thrown over a precipice, at the exciting moment some lady in the audience was so overcome, grabbing my mother cried, “Adelaide! They’re going to throw Nellie (as I was called then) over the precipice” which mad the whole audience roar. Lizzie Hickenlooper (a great aunt of my youngest son’s wife) taught me a song to sing before a Stake Conference in Ogden’s tabernacle when I was six years ole. I sang it many times and step-danced on many occasions too. We farmed Henry Barker’s place, and one day Mother had this table all set for thrashers when I took a swing on the edge of the drop leaf of the table and tipped the whole table over. Uncle George and Moore Rose (two of the 9 boys Mother was raised with) wouldn't let her whip me, so I ran out in the sad Cherry patch, while they helped her pick up the broken dishes and re-set the table. I stayed hid, too, until father came, for I knew he wouldn’t let her whip me either. Many times we went from North Ogden, east up over the pass to Ogden Valley, to pick thimble berries. My father helped kill the largest bear every seen in those parts, which had been killing livestock. It took eight men to load him to bring him back to Ogden for the reward which was offered. We raised lots of fruit and berries. I helped father pick them. He often said there wasn’t a tree in North Ogden I had not been to the top of. The other girls wrapped and packed the fruit, and then I went with Father to Ogden to sell it. I use to hold the horses for him. When I was twelve or thirteen years old we moved to Idaho, settled in Twin Groves Ward, and farmed along the Snake River. Father was in the bishopric and many other war offices. I worked away from home a great deal- housework, washings, and ironings. I also worked for Hansens, Nelsons, and Joe Andrasen in a cheese factory at Salem, near Rexburg. I was about fourteen years old when I took care of mother with one of her last babies (perhaps Daisy). The mid-wife, Mrs. Wilson, took sick the morning after the baby was born, so it was up to me. I washed the baby every morning on Mother’s bed under her directions and changed her bedding and so forth. That was the pattern of my whole life. In 1897 I married Don C. Dayton. We lived at Wilford, Idaho with Don’s Father and Mother. Grandpa Dayton was a very religious and noble man. He was in the Bishopric, I believe. Anyway he attended all his church duties. They quarreled a lot over polygamy. My first baby, Addie, was born in Twin Groves at my Mother’s home, while Don was in Utah working for Mr. Busbee (Elisie Helm’s father). Addie was born prematurely and was very sick for a long time. Grandpa Dayton administered to her two or three times a day. Carl was born in Wilford, Idaho. Then we moved to Twin Groves where San lives now. San was born there. Don died of heart trouble in 1904 at 31 years of age. Kenneth was born shortly after his father’s death at my Mother’s. Don was not a very religious man, but took part in all ward activities, mutual and Play acting (both of us). At Wilford he sang with the Murri Boys and played in an orchestra with Frank Smith, Will Shosted (his daughter married Carl), Charles Dayton, and two Mitchell boys. Grandpa and Grandma Dayton died shortly after we moved to Twin Groves. I married James T. Jackson in 1906. We lived in Twin Groves where Floyd and the twins, Reed and Reva were born. About a week after they were born I took pneumonia and nearly died. I was administered to several times. I lost my milk so the twins didn’t thrive very well, and Reed died when about nine months old, after we’d moved to the basin homesteading at Palisades near Felt. Jim and I had 7 children and raised my other 4 Daytons. He was a very good stepfather to them. We sent Carl on a mission to the Western States from the Palisade Ward about 1918. Crops failed one year, and we had quite a time keeping him on his mission. Several families had to recall their boys. Carl wrote home for money once when we just didn't have any. I fasted and prayed and that very afternoon a man came and paid us a big blacksmith bill he had owed Jim for some time. I knew my prayers had been answered. San was married before Carl left for the mission field. Carl was married soon after he came home. Floyd, Glen, and Reva attended High School at Driggs, but weren't very interested. Daisy didn't go at all. We moved back to Twin Groves in 1928 and up to Chester about 1934. We sold our home in Chester in 1948. Jack (Narvin) went to High School at Sugar City. I was in Relief Society, presiding in 2 different wards: with Sister Nyborg in Twin Groves, with Mary Blanchard, Emma Mclane, and Ellen Lecheminant (later my granddaughter married her son) in Chester and also in the Palisade Ward. I worked with Ollie Thompson in the Primary in Twin Groves, also in the Sunday school in both Twin Groves and Palisade. All my children but one have been through the temple. I cooked lunches one winter in Chester Schools. Allen Winters, Boyd Branson, Ruby Hammond, and Mrs. Miller were the teachers, I enjoyed it very much. I always enjoyed working with and for people. I have delivered many babies all alone, and have helped in over 200 or more confinement cases, many of these my own grandchildren, never charging a cent to anyone. I have been repaid many times by their thank-you card and letters of appreciation. To date April 1949, I have 8 living children, 3 dead, 35 grandchildren living, 12 dead, and 19 great grandchildren, 2 dead and one more due to arrive in May. (Ellen Richard Jackson visited each of her children and stayed with them for a week. She visited Reva last, and it was there that she became ill and passed away on April 28, 1950. Ellen Richards Dayton Jackson.) Note: Although this story claims that Adelaide Rose's mother Minerva died when she was just nine days old, the 1850 Census shows Minerva still living. It is believed that Minerva died in1851. Adelaide was still very young when her mother died.

Mina Malinda Wilson History

Contributor: Jeanette_Allan Created: 7 months ago Updated: 7 months ago

History of Mina Malinda Wilson Richards Mina Malinda Wilson was born January 18th 1883 in St. George, Utah. Her father, Henry Hardy Wilson Jr. was born in Nauvoo, Illinois in 1841 and was with his mother Francis Kelly Wilson and 6 brothers in the exodus from Nauvoo. After arriving in Salt Lake Henry Jr. was called to ‘Dixie’ and settled in St. George. There he married Adrienne Barlow November 6, 1878. Mina was the 2nd child of six children having an older sister Adrienne(named after her mother) and younger sisters Catherine, Frances, and Hazel with Henry Levern her baby brother. Their family lived in Fairview, San Pete County when Catherine, Frances and Hazel were born (1885-1891). They had moved to Twin Groves, Idaho before Henry Levern was born in July 1895. Mina married George Riley Richards April 4, 1901 in Twin Groves, Fremont, Idaho at the age of 18 and George being one month shy of 27. Their first baby son was born January 4, 1902 but died the same day. Soon after this sad event George was called to serve an LDS mission to Portland, Oregon. Mina, George, and his father left for Salt Lake at the beginning of April 1902 and attended General Conference in Salt Lake City, Utah. While there George was set apart by Elder J. G. Kimball on April 5, 1902 and said goodbye to George’s father Thomas Richards. On the 9th of April Mina and George left Salt Lake with Elders Thomas, Merrill, and Brown and headed north. In Pocatello Mina boarded a train for home to St. Anthony, Idaho and George with the other Elders boarded a train for Portland, Oregon. They would be apart for the next the next year and a half. George returned from his mission in January 1904. Mina and George’s second baby was born November 28, 1904 but lived only a month and died December 21, 1904. This must have been very hard on the couple to lose their first 2 babies. Their 3rd child Rulon George was born August 1, 1906. He was a healthy boy and lived a long life. Lois was born September 8, 1908, Eva was born August 14, 1909, and Selma was born February 16, 1913. All of these children were healthy and lived long lives. On June 18, 1917 a baby girl, June Wilson was born but only lived 10 days. On March 12, 1921 Franklin Dean Richards was born and on January 21, 1924 Betty Ruth Richards was born. These last 2 children lived long although Dean was sickly as a child. Most of the children were born in Twin Groves, but Selma and June were born while the family was living in Palisades, Teton, Idaho and Dean and Betty were born after the family moved to St. Anthony, Idaho. Mina lost her husband in 1925 at the age of 42, when he passed away June 11 at the age of 50. He had been hurt earlier in a logging accident and the family thought that his death was connected in some way to the earlier accident. At this time Rulon was 18, Lois 16, Eva 15, Selma 12, Dean 4, and Betty 1 years old. Mina looked for work to make money and would work in the early hours of the day(sometimes starting at 12 AM) baking all of the Cakes, pies, donuts, rolls and whatever was on the prepare list for the day at the Idaho Hotel Café in St. Anthony. She would be back home at 4 am to wake up the children to do chores to help earn money. Mina also worked at the hospital and in a sewing room to help earn money. She had her farm and dairy cows. There was no running water in the house at this time so cleaning and washing was even more work with having to haul water which Betty remembers doing, and she hated Mondays because that was wash day and she would spend a good part of the day hauling water in a wagon. Sundays at 10 AM and then again at 6 PM (Sunday School then Sacrament meeting) they walked to church a few miles away. They didn’t have a car until about 1934 when the older children(who had moved to Los Angeles and Hollywood to work) bought a model T ford and brought it up to the family so Dean and Betty could drive Mina to and from work and church and around town. Many of the winters Mina and the younger children would spend in California and then went back to St. Anthony in the summer to care for the cows and other farm animals, fruit trees and garden. In about 1937 Mina rented her home, sold her cows and moved to Hollywood, California with her 2 youngest children, her older children were already there working. They lived on Sunset Circle. In 1941 Mina suffered a nervous breakdown and Betty quit school and went to work. Mina’s children were grown and she was living on Fountain Ave with Betty and Selma who was divorced and living with the family along with her 2 children Bob and Sherrill. She had graduated from beauty school and working at a shop. Eva married in California in 1938 but divorced a few years later. Lois married Claude Ray Perkins in 1941, Rulon had married Grace Clear in 1945 and Dean had married Ellen McKensey in 1946 When they wanted to attend the temple they would drive to St. George Utah where Mina was born. This was a long trip in those days. Mina’s youngest daughter Betty served an LDS mission in the New England states in 1947 and 8. Mina and Eva moved to Salt Lake City, Utah in about 1949 and lived with Betty. She was working for ZCMI after returning from her mission. Betty married Vernal Earl Chellson on October 16,1950 in the Salt Lake Temple. Sometime after that Eva and Mina moved back to Hollywood, California. She lived there with Eva until she became ill. Her married sons and daughters lived in the Los Angeles area with Betty and Vernal Chellson’s family moving there late in the year of 1959. The last 2 years of her life she had dementia and didn’t know her children most of the time. She passed away July 8, 1964 at the home of her daughter Selma. Mina’s funeral was held in her Hollywood ward and then Selma, Eva, and Betty borrowed Deans’ truck and arranged for Mina to be buried in St. Anthony in the Willford cemetery next to her husband George and her 2 baby sons and daughter. Mina’s children remember her as a hard worker, someone who had a great sense of humor and liked to pull some pranks. She was a fabulous cook and a very talented person. Life was hard but good.

Life Timeline of Thomas Richards

Thomas Richards was born on 25 May 1846
Thomas Richards was 13 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
See More
Thomas Richards was 14 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
See More
Thomas Richards was 29 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
See More
Thomas Richards was 37 years old when Eruption of Krakatoa: Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa in the Dutch East Indies began in the afternoon of Sunday, 26 August 1883, and peaked in the late morning of Monday, 27 August when over 70% of the island and its surrounding archipelago were destroyed as it collapsed into a caldera. Additional seismic activity was reported to have continued until February 1884, though reports of seismic activity after October 1883 were later dismissed by Rogier Verbeek's investigation into the eruption. The 1883 eruption was one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events in recorded history. At least 36,417 deaths are attributed to the eruption and the tsunamis it created. Significant additional effects were also felt around the world in the days and weeks after the volcano's eruption.
See More
Thomas Richards was 45 years old when Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
See More
Thomas Richards was 58 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
See More
Thomas Richards was 68 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
See More
Thomas Richards died on 12 Feb 1920 at the age of 73
Grave record for Thomas Richards (25 May 1846 - 12 Feb 1920), BillionGraves Record 1194114 St. Anthony, Fremont, Idaho, United States