Leo Delbert Murdock

11 Jan 1891 - 22 Sep 1978


Leo Delbert Murdock

11 Jan 1891 - 22 Sep 1978
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

From remarks given at his funeral service by his granddaughter Annette Merrill Bair on 25 Sept. 1978 [Leo Delbert Murdock] finished his elementary schooling in Thomas and then went on to two years at Brigham Young Academy located at Logan, Utah. At this time he was interested in becoming a doctor. A
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Leo Delbert Murdock
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Leo Delbert Murdock


Riverside Thomas Cemetery

939-949 State Highway 39
Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho
United States


December 4, 2013


July 29, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about leo delbert...

We found more records about Leo Delbert Murdock.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of leo delbert


Leo Delbert Murdock is buried in the Riverside Thomas Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Taking Things a Bit Too Far

Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

From remarks given at his funeral service by his granddaughter Annette Merrill Bair on 25 Sept. 1978 [Leo Delbert Murdock] finished his elementary schooling in Thomas and then went on to two years at Brigham Young Academy located at Logan, Utah. At this time he was interested in becoming a doctor. About the closest he would come to this dream was later in life when he had back surgery. [It was 1933, and] a bone had to be removed from his leg and fused in his back. The doctor gave him a local anesthetic so he could watch the procedure for himself.

Frances Dance Part 1: The Honeymoon Period

Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

FRANCES DANCE MURDOCK (Continuation of my life story after marriage) By Frances Dance Murdock, written April 1975 and passed to descendants On February 25, 1913, two country kids, Frances Dance and Leo D. Murdock, of Thomas, Idaho, hitched Leo’s horse, Sport, to the buggy and drove into Blackfoot and boarded the train for Salt Lake City to be married in the Salt Lake Temple. As we arrived in Salt Lake, men in their cars were waiting to tribe those who arrived on the train to hotels or rooming houses in different parts of the city. We stayed at a rooming house over night and the next morning we took a taxi to the Temple, and as we had never been there before we walked up the walk to the temple and stopped, deciding where to enter, and a Temple worker was coming out and he spoke to use and said, “Young lady, now you have got him this close don’t let him back out on you.” Then he told us where to go to enter the Temple. And we were married February 26, 1913. After the ceremony we went to a Motel closer to the center of town so we could take in the sights. The next day we took the train from Salt Lake City to Ogden, Utah, and went to visit my Aunt Mary and Uncle Lewis Bitten and family. We stayed with them over night and the next day we hired a horse and buggy from the livery stable and drove out to Wilson Lane to visit our uncles, aunts, and cousins and see the places where we both lived as children before moving to Idaho. On our return home we lived with Leo’s folks for a few weeks while they were finishing our house. Leo’s father arranged the purchase of 40 acres of land, all sage brush, and Mr. Hess, a carpenter who lived in Blackfoot, was building us a small two room house on the farm. The house had two rooms with a partly enclosed porch on the front and a small room we called a pantry which was a place to store our food, and shelves for the dishes and groceries, so we felt we had a good home to begin our lives. This small house was built on the East corner of our farm where our home has always been. When our house was completed we bought the furniture that was necessary to begin with and moved in. Leo’s father gave him a team, plow, harrows and a cow, and my father also gave me a cow and so we had some of the necessitys to start life with, and also a few chickens. So we began plowing the sage brush up and picking it up and putting it in piles and then burning each pile. We soon had enough cleared to start planting grain. I helped pick the sage brush up and burn it. Then we had to dig a well by the house and it was an open well with board frame above the ground about 4 feet and frame over the top with a wheel pulley and rope with the bucket on each end so we could draw the water up to water the horses and cows and for use in the house. We planted an orchard of apple trees and currant and gooseberry bushes and a garden, so we had plenty to eat. We had to build a stable for the horses and a corral for the cows and later other buildings for grain, pen for pigs and a place for chickens and a cellar for potatoes. On January 31st our first child was born at home. There were no hospitals at that time and the doctors had to come from Blackfoot with a horse and buggy and it was too long before they arrived so our baby girl only lived a short time. Before she passed away my mother had my brother, Philip Dance, who was the Bishop at that time, come and name her and we gave her the name of Enith Murdock, and she was buried in the Riverside-Thomas Cemetery. We were very sorry to part with our first baby girl but hope to be with her again some day.

Frances Dance Part 2: Growing Family and Property

Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Continued from part 1 I was still secretary of the Thomas Ward Sunday School when we were married, serving from 1911-1915. I was also a teacher in Primary and Sunday School. In 1911-1915, I was first councelor in the M.I.A. with Julia Sproul as President. Then on January 25, 1915, a baby boy arrived at our house and we were so happy and named him Merlin Leo Murdock. Now I had more to do inside the home but still found time to help in the garden and other things. We had a wood stove so the wood had to be chopped and carrie dingo the house to make a fire and sometimes we used some of the large sagebrush but mostly ceder wood. In the winter they went to the lavas and hauled enough wood to last during the summer and until the crops were harvested. We had to draw the water from the well and heat it in a wash boiler to wash the clothes, at first using a wash tub and wash board to scrub the clothes on, but we soon bought a washing machine that we could turn with a handle and it made the work much easier on wash day. Then World War one came along and we were all worried about our husbands going to the army. On June 6, 1917, they all had to go to register and those with one child were told they may have to be called. On June 5th, 1917, our second boy, Wayne, was born so when Leo had to register the next day he was saved from going. Wayne saved his father from being drafted in the war but later gave his life for our country in World War 2. My mother passed away on Sept. 28, 1918, so only our first two children, Merlin and Wayne, had the privilege of knowing and visiting their Grandmother Dance. Our daughter Elaine was born June 16, 1919, and we were very happy to receive a daughter as one of our family. As our family grew we bought more land from some of our neighbors who wanted to sell their farms and move away, so we had more work to do and had to hire some of the neighbor boys to help haul hay and we had a big job when thrashing time came around. I had to have some help to cook the meals. They had a steam engine to run the threshing machine and I had to cook breakfast for the men who stayed all night with the machine and then dinner and supper for the men who ran the wagons to haul the grain from the field and some to take care of the grain as it was threshed and hauled to the granary and also stack the straw, so it was usually 10-12 men or more. When Clinton, our third son, came on Sept. 25, 1921, we had been cooking for the threshers for two days and Cora Covington had been helping me while we had the threshers so we stayed with me for the next two weeks to help. When we had a new baby the doctors had us stay in bed for 10 days before we could get up so when we did get up we didn’t feel like doing much for a few days. Then on Feb. 26, 1924, our daughter Rowena was born and she came as our wedding anniversary present of eleven years. She had also been a wonderful daughter and help to the family and I had two girls now to help me in the house. On Feb. 9, 1926, our last son, Reed, was born so Lee had 4 boys growing up to help do the work when they were old enough and we found small chores they could do as soon as they were a few years old. Then on April 24, 1928, another daughter, Wilma, came to bless our home. Then as our family increased I was chosen councelor in the Primary to work with Minnie Van Orden and I used to hitch the horse to the buggy and take our children to Primary at the Thomas Church. As the family grew our small two room house could hardly hold us all so we bough a frame one room building that was for sale and moved it over and placed it behind our house and used it for a kitchen and later build a roof over the part between the house and kitchen and made a bedroom for the boys. Our neighbor George Webster had a house and 40 acres of land just across the land and East of our place and he wanted to sell his place so we bought his 40 acres of land and he had a Lava rock house and rock granary and an apple orchard and raspberry patch right on the Southwest corner of the place, and as our house was over crowded we decided to build a new house, so we moved over in the rock house while Joe Goodwin and his brothers built us a new house. It had a full basement and five rooms and is the house our son Reed now owns.

Frances Dance Part 3: Family Life

Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Continued from Part 2 When our children out grew the Primary I was chosen to be counselor in the Relief Society to work with Julia Williams in 1935 and later as Secretary in Relief Society until 1944. Also as social Science teacher in Relief Society for several years. When the ward was divided in Oct. 24, 1954, I was chosen as a teacher in the Junior Sunday School and taught for six years. I served as visiting teacher in Relief Society when Sister Jane Covington was President for several years until I was chosen as Secretary in Relief Society. Since the ward was divided in 1954, I have served continually as a visiting teacher for 20 years until 1975. We have had many family outings and taken our family along, to American Falls when they were building the dam and one fishing trip I remember in the summer of 1924 when Rowena was just a baby and Minnie Van Orden and some of our friends and we camped out at night. During the summer after Reed was born we made a trip to Southern Utah. My Sister Duella married Gus Williams whose home was in Teasdale, Utah, so they made their home down there. So we took our family and went down to visit them. It sure was an interesting trip. It was close to the mountains and Gus and his two sons Orwell and Dyle and Leo and Merlin and Wayne each had a horse to ride and they took at rip up on the mountains and it was interesting and educational to see the hyrogliphes and Indian writings that had been written on the rocks and by the caves in ancient times and they took pictures of all these things so we would have them to remember the trip. Then when Leo was President of the Mutual they took all the boys and scouts along with Bishop John R. Williams and other leaders on camping trips to different places. Our children walked to school each day to the Thomas townsite and later at Rockford. When it was too much snow in the winter Leo or Dan would take them in the sleigh and then in later years when there was more children they had a sleigh and team with a covered top and a man to drive them to school in winter. They all graduated from the 8th grade and later went to college. We had more farm now than Leo and boys could do all the work. So they hired Lloyd Denlinger to come and work for us. He was a very good and dependable worker and he worked for us for many years. Merlin would soon graduate from high school so he and Wayne were lots of help. In march 1933 Lee had to have an operation on his spine as he was having trouble with his back so Dr. Beck had a Dr. Tyres from Salt Lake City come up and perform the operation, and he was in the hospital for a month or more. So that is why we appreciated our hired man Lloyd so much because he took care of the work with the help of the boys as well as if it had been his own. He married Matilda Anderson and they lived in the rock house we had bought on the Webster place. And when I went to the hospital to see Leo she would take care of Reed and Wilma for me as they weren’t in school yet. For some time after Leo came home he wasn’t supposed to be able to do much work, but as soon as he could get around he was was doing things as usual. We bought a piano so the children could take music lessons and started Merlin, Wayne and Elaine out. I don’t know how interested Merlin was but I know he didn’t have time enough from work to do much practicing so he didn’t take lessons long. Elaine and Wayne went far enough so they could play duets together and soon just Elaine was taking lessons and she has continued her music all her life and is a wonderful musician. During their high school days from Elaine on they all had a musical instrument and play din the band. Elaine the piano, Clint the trumpet, Rowena the violin, Reed the clarinet, and Wilma the flute. When they graduated from high school we were able to send each one to college.

Frances Dance Part 5: Spotlight on Wayne

Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Continued from Part 4 Wayne also graduated from the University of Moscow, Idaho, in 1940 with a degree of Bachlor of Science in Agriculture. He was Treasurer of the Ag Club at the University, and a member of the Alpha Delta. The first tractor owned on our farm Wayne won on his 20th birthday in a prize essay competition sponsored by International Harvester Company and Spritzer Bros. Implement Co., local dealers. Glen Dick was District manager. The reward was for writing the best essay sponsored by the company in four states. After graduation Wayne worked for the Inland Empire Dairy in Spokane, Washington until he enlisted in the Army Air Corp. After finishing his training he was the pilot on a B-17 and served in the European theatre from England until January 11, 1944. Wayne was home in the fall on leave before going overseas for a week or so. When we took hm to Pocatello to leave for Europe we met his crew who were on the plan with him and they told us how much they thought of Wayne and how considerate he was of them and that if they had to go over seas there was no one they would rather fly with than Wayne. When they arrive din England they were assigned to the 8th Air Force Bomber Squadron that was making raids over Germany. Clinton arrived in England and he saw Wayne at Christmas time. Then on January 11th the group of planes were sent out with our escort to bomp a munition factory at Oscherlebin, Germany. Wayne’s plane was one of the group planes that was shot down, his radio man was killed and the rest of his crew bailed out. They said they saw Wayne leave the plane but they didn’t know what happened unless his parachute failed to open or caught in the door as he left the plane, but they didn’t find him and the rest of his crew were taken prisoners by the Germans and held until the war ended and then they returned home. We heard from them after returning home and they told us what they knew about the case. While Wayne was in training in California we made a trip with Clarence and Agnes Cox down there to see Wayne. Their daughter Neola and her husband Carl Clark were down there, he was in training also. Einer Nelson and his wife were living there also at the time. He had some position in the Army and they were very good to Wayne. When Wayne received his commission upon graduating from advance pilot training at Mather Field, California, Mrs. Einer Nelson pinned his wings on him in place of his mother and they always treated him like he was their son. He completed his training on the four engine Pilots Transition course at Hobbs Army Flying School on the B17-F type airplane as pilot July 14, 1943. I remember very well that Elaine was home on Saturday morning Jan. 24, 1944 when a young girl from the Western Union came to the door and handed Elaine a telegram from Sec. of State telling us that our son 2nd Lieutenant Wayne E. Murdock was reported missing in action since Jan. 11, 1944 over Germany and she took the telegram out to Leo who was doing the chores. That was a very sad day for us and we hoped that we would hear later that he had been located, but the next word was that he had been killed in action over Germany on Jan. 11, 1944, that was Leo’s birthday and a sad day for us all but he loved his country and gave his life for it as many others have done.

Frances Dance Part 6: Spotlight on Elaine

Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Continued from Part 5 Elaine went to the BYU three years, it was just a small school then compared to what it is today. Then she taught two years at Grandview, Idaho. Then she returned to Logan at Utah State for 1 year when Rowena went to college there also, and Elaine graduated from Utah State in 1943. Leah Dance also went with her and they were room mates. Elaine also attended Albion State Normal school at Albion, Idaho for one summer. She also taught school at the Eagle Rock School as it was called then at Idaho Falls for two or more years. On August 23, 1945, Elaine was married to Dean Day Watt, in the Salt Lake Temple at Salt Lake City, Utah. As Dean had scholarships to different Universities and also taught classes while there they have lived in many different states. They have 3 girls and two boys. Sharon their first girl was born in Cleveland, Ohio, Nola Jean born in Ames, Iowa, Barbara in West Lafayette Indiana, David in Mandeville, Louisiana and Stuart in Mandeville, Louisiana, and they lived in Tempe, Arizona, Overland Park Kansas, and are now living on Omaha, Nebraska since 1969 and Dean in eating at the Creighton University in Omaha. We have been to visit them in the different states and they have had some beautiful homes to live there in with years and flowers and gardens. We visited them in Mandeville, Louisiana and went town to New Orleans and crossed a lake on a bridge 25 miles long. In New Orleans we saw many things that were old world customs in the French part of the city. The cemetery was different as they could not bury people in graves underground on account of the water but all were in cement tombs on top of the ground. We have been in most every state in the United States going to visit Elaine and attending Reclamation Conventions while Leo was one of the canal board members and on the Committee of Nine. At time of this writing, April 1975, Dean and Elaine have 6 grandchildren and their son David is on a mission in Seoul Korea and Stuart is the only one still at home. Dean and Elaine come home to Idaho every summer to see his family and ours and to go fishing during the vacation. Elaine and Dean have held a lot of positions in the church, Elaine is Relief Society president and has students she gives music lessons to each week besides all her other activities.

Frances Dance Part 7: Spotlight on Clinton

Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Continued from Part 6 Our next one to join the family was another son born on Sept. 25, 1921, the night we finished threshing the grain and cooking for the men. We named him Clinton Van Murdock and it wasn’t long until we had another helper to do the chores and help milk the cows and take them to the pasture and back at night. He also walked to school and when he was old enough to play in the band he played the trumpet. I think he must have been born to be a pilot because I can well remember his first flight. Leo wasn’t home this day and I don’t know how much help he had but he fixed up something to sit on and fastened it to the end of a rope and the other end of the rope to the top pole of the hay derrick in the stack yard and the other end of the rope to an apple tree in the orchard below the house and sailed through the air from the hay derrick to the apple tree. After graduating from grade and high school Clinton attended the Southern Branch of the University of Idaho at Pocatello one year and one half year at the University of Idaho at Moscow. Then he enlisted in the Army Air Corp at age 20 and went through training in the different states and graduated as a pilot at Williamsfield, Arizona. Then he trained on a troop carrier plane in Texas. He advanced to the office of a Major when the war was over at the age of 25. Clinton served in England, Italy, and France. He was in the Normandy invasion on D. Day and has seven campaign stars. He helped carry supplies and drop them to trapped soldiers in the Battle of the Buldge on Christmas Day in Germany in 1944. It was a happy day for us to have him back safe and well after V E day April 1945 when the German Army surrendered to the allies. He finally found the girl of his choice and married Joan Packham on June 19, 1947 in the Idaho Falls temple. They lived in the house across the street form us for about six months. We had bought that place from Joe Stewart. Then Clint and Joan made their home in Groveland on a 20 acre ranch for 2 1/2 years until they were able to get more land. Leo had a chance to buy land west of Rockford that was dessert land at that time so he bought some that had been homesteaded but had been left because of no water yet to farm. When a house was ready to live in on their farm, Clint and Joan sold their place in Groveland and moved to their farm. They have 7 children, Andrea, Patricia, Douglas, Holly, Bruce, Robert, and Brian and 5 grandchildren now and have a beautiful home and improvements on their farm. They continued to buy more land joining their first farm so they have a large farm now.

Frances Dance Part 8: Spotlight on Rowena

Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Continued from Part 7 On our eleventh wedding anniversary Feb. 26, 1924 we received a most wonderful wedding present, a beautiful little girl baby and we named her Rowena. Now Elaine would have a playmate and some one to help take care of. As Rowena grew older she had to help in the house and help take care of a younger brother and sister and she attended Rockford grade school and graduated from the 8th grade and was chosen valedictorian of her class in 1942 at Thomas High School. She attended the University in Logan, Utah for one year and then found the young man of her choice, Clifford G. Merrill, and although she was our fifth child she was the first one to married. They were married in the Salt Lake temple on July 1, 1943. I went down to Salt Lake with them and went through the temple with them at the marriage ceremony and then returned home on the bust the next day and they spent their honeymoon in Salt Lake and also visited Cliff’s brother and other relatives in the City. They had a home in Moreland the first few years and our first grandchild Annette Merrill was born March 27, 1944 and we were very proud of her and we still are. She has grown up to be a wonderful mother and church worker and neighbor. When Rowena and Cliff’s second child Roger was born and Leo and I were going to the Legislature at Boise we had Rowena and Cliff take care of our chores. While we were away they were living across the road in the house on the 40 acres we bought. Clinton was home from the war and Wilma and Reed were away to college, so Clint thought he could get along cooking for himself at home but he soon got tired o that and had Rowena, Cliff, Annette, and Roger move over to our house to stay until we came home. Clint said he learned Roger to walk, so at least he had some of the family for company. After Annette was born Cliff had to serve his turn in the service so they lived across the road and later with us until Cliff returned and they moved over to Moreland and bought a farm and built a new brick house where they still live. They have seven children living and the last baby girl died. They have three girls and four boys. Annette, Sue, Gaye, Roger, Brent, Kent, and Jerry.

Frances Dance Part 9: Spotlight on Reed

Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Continued from Part 8 Time passed by with all the work we have to do in raising our family and on Feb. 9, 1926 another baby boy arrived at our house and was welcomed by all the family. We named him Reed Dance Murdock. As he grew up he had brothers and sisters to play with. he and Rowena had some baby lambs to feed and take care of. He walked to school at Rockford, and attended Thomas High school and played the clarinet in the high school band. They had a concert in the church on May 2, 1944. Ten students played cornets, 4 students trombones, 3 students Hornes, 4 students drums, 12 students clarinets, 3 students saxophones, 3 students flutes, 1 Base drum, 1 Baritone. They were directed by their teacher Mr. Thorne. I happened to find this one program that was printed in my keepsake box. After high school Reed attended school two years in Logan and then he stayed home to help with the farm work. When Wayne left after his graduation from pilot training schools he was sent to England and he gave Reed his car to use while he was gone. So now he had a car to go to the dances and other places. When he found the girl of his choice living in Blackfoot, Darlene Howell daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Newell Howell and they were married in the Idaho Falls L.D.S. Temple. After the ceremony they left on a two weeks honeymoon through Utah, Arizona, California, and Mexico and on their return they made their home in the house across the street from us where all the other members of our family lived until they bought farms of their own. Reed and his father had been working the farm together for years since the other boys left and we decided to sell the farm to Reed. So in 1952 we had a new brick house built on the place and Reed and his family moved over in the house we had all lived in for years. Reed has kept buying more land because he has a large herd of cattle and needs pasture for them. They have 3 boys, Ronald, Steven, and David, and one girl, Linda. The past year we have also sold our shared of the cattle to Reed and his boys as they are all working together now an chis two oldest boys are married.

Frances Dance Part 11: The Golden Years and Opportunities for Travel

Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Continued from Part 10 My father’s birthday is on Nov. 23 so in 1950 it came on Thanksgiving day and he was 90 years old so we had a family reunion in the gym at the Thomas High School and every one brought their Thanksgiving dinners and we all had a good time and most all of his families were in attendance from other towns where they live as well as those in our community and I am sure we were all glad we celebrated that birthday because he passed away the following year on Feb. 18, 1951 and was buried in the Riverside-Thomas cemetery. In 1955-56 Leo was a Senator from Bingham County in the legislature and he had been going down there for the past 18 years and after our family were all married I went down there with him and we rented an apartment to live in and the legislatures wives had an organization and had a meeting once a week, we had lunch and a program and book reviews and different kinds of entertainment so the year 1955 and 1956 I was chosen Vice President of the ladies organization and Mrs. Keithly from Washington Co. North Idaho was President, she was a very nice person to work with and we enjoyed our association together very much. In 1953 on Dec. 20 Leo’s mother passed away in the Bannock Memorial Hospital, she hadn’t been dry well for some time and had been living with each of her children for the past few years so now both of each of our parents were gone. Ever since the 2nd world war was over and we thought about losing our son Wayne, Leo had been wanting to go over to Europe so the last year we were at the legislature we made good friends with Dean and Estella Orme who were down there from St. Anthony also at the legislature and we decided to make the trip to Europe, so on Monday May 10, 1954, the beginning of a wonderful trip. … [Several pages of journaling from the trip are included in the life history at this point, but I have recorded that separately.] … We decided our family had things well under control, as Reed, Clinton and boys had all the first crop hay in the stack and that was earlier than they usually have it taken care of when we are home. One of Wayne’s crew members, Art Roswell, who was on the plane when it was shot down over Germany, and his wife came to see us while we were in Europe. We were sorry we didn’t get to see them, but the family talked to them and entertained them and let them stay in our home over night while we were gone. We spent the rest of the summer taking care of our lawn and garden. Leo had plenty of work to do helping the boys irrigate and take care of the crops the rest of the summer and fall, and the cattle in the winter. Another trip we enjoyed with Dean and Estella Orme was when we went back to the Dacotas to see the Passion Play in the evening, held outside on a hillside, portraying the trials of the Savior and events at different times in his life. We visited desolate pine clad black hills of South Dakota rising from the Western plains. The hills are visited by one million tourists every year. Here stands 6,000 foot Mount Rushmore on whose smooth granite walls a team of sculptors led by Gutzon Borglum labored 14 years to blast, drill the faces of four U.S. Presidents, Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Theodore Roosevelt, each face measuring some 60 feet from chin to forehead. There was a museum near by and father on the Indian villages where they were living and where they were having trouble with the white people living close by. We decided to follow the pioneer trail home, and by doing that we could see how difficult it was for them, and there were many graves along the way. As we came through Wyoming there is a hill or a big stone or pillar of rock by the side of the road where there were graves and the pioneers had carved their names on the sides, and as we were reading the names we found Leo’s Grandfather’s Name, Lewis Dunbar Wilson among the names on the rock, and in his history of his life he tells about being to Joseph Smith’s home and sitting on his lap while he told them stories. His father was one of Joseph Smith’s body guards and he gave his father his sword, and it has been handed down to his son and grandsons and is still in the family. As we followed the trail we passed many graves along the way and we could see how it was so difficult for them to reach Salt Lake Valley. My Great Grandfather Willard Snow and his wife Amanda Melvina Snow also came across the plains and arrived in Salt Lake City in 1847. So our parents were born in Utah and then came to Idaho in the 1900’s. In 1965 our friends the Ormes and us decided we would like to make a trip to the Hawaiian Islands, so we made arrangements at Idaho Falls to fly there, and so in a day or so we boarded a plane at Idaho Falls at 2:00 and arrived in Honolulu at 12:00 in time for dinner. We spent about a week there and visited all the different Islands and the pineapple plantations and were shown through the factory where they can the pineapple and gave us samples to eat off the different ways they used them. We picked coconuts off the coconut trees and other kinds of fruits growing there. Dean and Estella had a relative living there and they invited us out to their house one day for dinner, and then took us on a sight seeing trip around part of the country and to the beach at Waikiki and the Hawaiian garden and we went to a native Hawaiian Luau and sampled their food. Charles Wood, son of Owen and Phelma Wood, was serving a mission there and one day we met them in a cafe and he wanted to take us sight seeing in their car, so the next day we invited them to dinner with us and then they took us around to the church school in Hawaii and other interesting places. We also attended church services on Sunday in one of the wards. Marie Anderson’s daughter, Ila Marie, married Joseph Hoapi, and they live in Hawaii. They invited us to their home one evening and we enjoyed the visit very much and they made arrangements to take us to the Temple in Hawaii the next day. The temple isn’t as modern as the new ones in our country, but it was still very nice and they have since started remodeling the temple. They took ust to the cemetery where many of the soldiers of World War Two were buried in one part of the cemetery. We walked along the beach where the waved rolled up on shot so far we had to back up to keep from getting wet. We attended several entertainments where the Hawaiian boys and girls would go through their different dances and songs in very beautiful consumes of all different colors that they wear, and it was very entertaining as well as educational to learn about their way of life and things they enjoy. One day we hired a small car and drove all alone on one side of the small Islands and we could stop and see all the places that were interesting to us. We also went to the tourist attractions, but the names of the places I have forgotten a lot of them now, but I can still remember what they looked like. I wish I had written a diary of each day, but it seemed e were so busy all the time, we didn’t have much time to write, and I suppose that will be the last journey we will make. We have traveled to many of the states while Leo was one of the directors in the Production Credit Association and the Reclamation Association where they held their annual meetings in different states each year. Our daughter, Wilma, lived in Las Vegas, Nevada, for many years and we often wen tot see her and her family. Now they have moved to Reno, Nevada, and last April 1975 we made a trip to see them in their new home and they have a nice large house and garden spot there. We have visited our daughter Elaine and her family in Omaha, Nebraska, since they over there and now I suppose our traveling days are bout over as we are getting most too old to drive the car long distances and we enjoy going in the car as we can take our time and stop where we wish. So from here on we will try to be contented taking care of our home and garden and trying to be helpful to the family. After 63 years of married life we are still happy and love each other very much and try to be contented at home in taking care of each other and enjoying our family. March 12, 1976.

Life Sketch of Leo Delbert Murdock

Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

LIFE SKETCH OF LEO DELBERT MURDOCK Given 25 Sept 1978 at funeral service by granddaughter Annette Merrill Bair On jan. 11, 1891 a third son, Leo Delbert Murdock was born to a young couple in the Marriott Ward, Weber County, Utah—just west of Ogden. The couple was Daniel J. Murdock and Martha Vilate Wilson. Although they had been born and raised in the Ogden area they had spent one winter in Idaho: because there was no way to earn a living in Idaho they had returned to Ogden. In 1895, four years later, they again left home and settled at Riverside, Bingham Co. Idaho. It was there Leo went to school and Sunday School and was baptized. He was responsible for getting in the wood for the stoves. Rather than chop all the wood, he gathered it, and then laid it across the ruts in the road. As the wagons went by on the road the sticks were broken and the could gather it for the stoves, thus saving much chopping. Oh! The ingenuity of a young boy! Leo’s father filed claim on 40 acres of land where part of the Rockford townsite is now located. They had to live there for a few months each year to make improvements, thereby proving their claim on the land. At this time the area was known as Burrow Basin. His father was away from home much of the time working and Leo and his two older brothers were left at home to care for his mother and sisters. There was no water for irrigation or domestic use, so the boys were expected to provide it by hauling it from the Snake River in a wagon. Leo, his father and brothers, Le Roy and Dan., were instrumental in building the canal system that seres this area today. The Peoples Canal had approached close enough to the homestead by 1902 that the family and neighbors dug a smaller canal to their land. What an excited time when the first water trickled upon that dry earth! The men waved their hats, the women, their bonnets and they with the children all shouted for joy. Leo’s “job” was to herd the cows out on the desert each day and bring them in at night; along with his horse and dog he spent many days at this task. As told by him at the Family Home Evening a few years ago, it was here he learned at the age of about 12 the true value of personal prayer. On one particular occasion he was unable to find his cows when it was time to bring them home. He looked everywhere—to no avail. He remembered his mother telling him many times that he could go to his Heavenly Father in prayer for help. There on his horse he confided his plight to the Father. As he finished he was impressed to go in a direction which he hadn’t suspected. There over a hill he found the cattle waiting to be started on the path for home. He found this to be just a beginning for help from his Heavenly Father. He finished his elementary schooling in Thomas and then went two (2) years at Brigham Young Academy located at Logan, Utah. At this time he was interested in becoming a doctor. About the closest he would come to this dream was later in life when he had back surgery. A bone had to be removed from his leg and fused in his back. The doctor gave him a local anesthetic so he could watch the procedure for himself. As a young man he was like many young men—interested in speed and a good set of wheels. Maybe in a little different style than boys of today, but nevertheless, just as exciting. He and Grandmother won many a horse and buggy race in their courting days with Leo’s faithful horse Sport. One of his admirer’s of days gone by wrote on the occasion of their 50th Wedding Anniversary: “I’d watch you and admire how manly you looked, how particular you were with your clothes, your horse and buggy.” These traits were carried forward implicitly for the rest of his life. When he returned from college he was married to the sweetheart of his youth, Frances Rosetta Dance, on Feb 26, 1913 in the Salt Lake Temple. As they approached the Temple wondering where to enter, a temple worker spoke to them and said, “Young lady, you’ve got him this close, don’t let him back out on you.” And, indeed, he didn’t. He has certainly been an exemplary husband, father and provider to her, always showing her the greatest respect. They came home to a 40 acre farm where Leo & Frances have since resided, raising their family of eight (8) children: six of whom survive him (besides his wife): Merlin and Clinton of Rockford; Reed of Thomas; Elaine (Mrs. Dean Watt) of Omaha, Nebraska; Rowena (Mrs. Clifford Merrill) of Moreland; and Wilma (Mrs. Fullmer Barlow) of Reno, Nevada. All the children love and respect their father and have shown it by the loving care they gave him in helping grandmother in this past year. Wayne, their second son, was killed in active duty in World War II and Enith their firstborn lived only a few hours. Grandma has loved and supported Grandpa in everything he has done. She was so dedicated to him and his causes. Her tender loving care and the lovely orderly home she made for him helped him to accomplish his goals in this life. He was anxious that the womenfolk of the family be modest and feminine, which Grandmother always did. As he expanded his farming operation to include his sons, so his interest grew in other areas. He served on many Civic Boards & Committees—many to do with water and reclamation. He was a director of the Peoples Canal, Aberdeen-Springfield and Lindsay Ditch boards, also the Snake River Committee of 9. He served as President of the National Farm Loan board and for 22 years on the Eastern Idaho Production Credit Assn. board of directors—as trustee for School Dist. #48—he was always interested in quality education. Politics became interesting in the life of Leo Murdock and he served in the Idaho State Legislature for 5 terms in the House of Representatives, and 3 terms in the Senate. He loved his work there and made many lifetime friends. The respect these people, both in and out of the Church, had for him are a tribute in itself. One of his former board (PCA) companions, Sam Dunn, said that through all his years with him he never knew him to indulge in anything he didn’t believe in, even when the social and business pressures were great. He had a special talent for making people feel comfortable and he always remembered someone once he’d met htem. It was very embarrassing to him when his memory began to fail and it was difficult for him to put a name with the face of the people he met. During his lifetime he held many positions in the Church, from teacher, at which time he was very effective—in Sunday School, MIA, and Priesthood Quorums to Ward and Stake Sunday School President and Councilor. He was also a councilor in the Bishopric. In all the things he did, it was methodically thought out and well executed. Grandpa always enjoyed horses and cattle. He handled them very well and had many spirited animals, work and buggy horses. As a young man of 82 he still rode his horse which the sons and grandsons had difficulty handling. He was in the dairy business and eventuality he beef cattle, raising Registered Herefords—which were his pride. Even last Sunday night he went out to feed his beloved cattle. In 1972 Grandpa was nominated to the Eastern Idaho Agricultural Hall of Fame as a tribute to his accomplishments and service to agriculture throughout his life. He was very humbled and grateful for this honor. Grandfather and Grandmother traveled extensively together, going to almost every state and to Europe. They enjoyed traveling whether for pleasure or business and enjoyed most their traveling companion who have become some of their dearest friends. We grandchildren often received small tokens of remembrance from these trips. Grandpa was a man of straight-forward manner—exemplifying his virtues of fairness, honesty, integrity, thrift, gratitude, loyalty and work. If he had something on his mind, he said it. He was respected for his deals and steadfastness in working toward what he believed was right. He has always been a great patriot and the example he was set for his children and grandchildren will long endure. I don’t remember of a Family get-together or a program that we didn’t hear from Grandpa about our great country or some political view or a way we could encourage patriotic ideals or deeds. He always felt that if a person knew how to work he could do most anything in his life. He took great pride in the fact that he may have helped someone learn this great lesson. He has never been a man to praise lavishly for things done, but when you did receive his praise you knew you had done something well or worthwhile. Grandpa has always been interested in hearing what his grandchildren were doing and willing to help them achieve in any way he could. His appreciation of his family and their lives has become more evidently expressed through the years as he told us so many times. Grandpa was always willing to shed a “little light on the subject” being discussed, or give some timely advice, as most of us have discovered, was usually correct. All were encouraged to stay out of debt as much as possible. One particular time with him comes vividly to my mind. When I was going to school in Pocatello he invited me to have lunch with him. He was planning on eating with Mr. Dunn & Mr. Hill of the PCA board. He introduced me to them and made me feel very important. Not once did I feel like he was not proud of me, or the fact that I was his granddaughter. He has always been proud of all of his family and he let us know that he expected much from us. I found a talk he had written for some occasion and he said: “I feel life has been good to me, I have had many opportunities to obtain wealth, to serve the public, to do good and do bad, to serve the Lord—but of all the opportunities that have been mine, at age 75, the one that seems most important to me is that of raising a family and watching them grow to man & womanhood. Of having had the opportunity to try to direct their concept of life so that they will be a great improvement on their dad.” Then, he wen ton to say whether our way is easier or harder than his, the will to do is more important, And then: “To reach our greatest potential in life should be our goal. May we all conduct our lives that it may be said of us, that the world is better by us having lived in it.” He had a burning testimony of Jesus Christ and His Gospel.” Grandpa is survived by his wife, his 6 children and by his 6 lovely sisters: Mrs. Edna Bingham, Moreland; Mrs. Grace Taysom, Mrs. Hazel McKinlay and Mrs. Reva Disher all of Pocatello; Mrs. Lilla Romrell of Shelley and Mrs. Vera Romrell of Murray, Utah; also 30 grandchildren and 57 great grandchildren. On Friday, Sept 22, at the age 87, while lying in his hospital bed he opened his eyes, looked up and smiled as though someone were there smiling at him. Then he closed his eyes and passed quietly to the other side of the veil. May I read this poem that reminded me so of Grandpa: “As Grandfather sat in his old easy chair Thinking of things that were past, He remembered the times in his younger days When Time went by too fast. How his heart longed for the strong legs & arms He once used in farming fine, In driving the team, milking the cow, And helping his family, nine! His old feeble body refused, anymore to be quick, though he tried his best, He longed for the joy of busy times When hard work gave life such zest. He bowed his head in silent prayer To the God his kind heart knew, And prayed, ‘O Father, when I come home Let there be work to do.’” This prominent pioneer has set an excellent example for all of us to follow. Indeed, he has followed the admonition—If there is anything honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, lovely or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.” May I take this opportunity to thank the family for the privilege to eulogize this great man—and express my gratitude for him and his life, and for the spirit I have felt while preparing this Life Sketch. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Life timeline of Leo Delbert Murdock

Leo Delbert Murdock was born on 11 Jan 1891
Leo Delbert Murdock was 15 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Leo Delbert Murdock was 26 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Leo Delbert Murdock was 37 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Leo Delbert Murdock was 49 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Leo Delbert Murdock was 51 years old when World War II: The Imperial Japanese Navy made a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, intending to neutralize the United States Pacific Fleet from influencing the war Japan was planning to wage in Southeast Asia. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Leo Delbert Murdock was 62 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Leo Delbert Murdock was 74 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
Leo Delbert Murdock died on 22 Sep 1978 at the age of 87
Grave record for Leo Delbert Murdock (11 Jan 1891 - 22 Sep 1978), BillionGraves Record 6047553 Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States