HISTORY OF JOSEPH HEPWORTH
Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago
Joseph Hepworth was born 11 Sep. 1816, the third child (second son) of the nine known children born to Richard Hepworth and Hannah Wilkinson. He was born at Hug Mill, a village in the township of Shitlington, Thornhill parish, Yorkshire, England. Joseph spent a good share of his young life moving from town to town in the Thornhill and Tong area of Yorkshire. Both areas abound in coal, and at the time of his birth, his father was listed as a coal miner, the profession Joseph and most of his family later followed.
Richard and Hannah Hepworth had their son christened when he was about one month old, 6 Oct 1816, in the Church of England parish of Thornhill.
No more is known about Joseph's early life until his marriage. On the 9 April 1837 in Batley parish, Yorkshire, England, the home parish of the bride,
Joseph Hepworth married Mary Hirst. Mary Hirst was born 8 Nov 1820 at Drighlington, the daughter of John Hirst and Jane Dunwell. At the time of their marriage, Mary was 17 and Joseph was 21.
They were the parents of 11 children: Richard, 20 July 1837; William
26 May 1839; Edmund, 7 March 1841; SQUIRE 4 May 1843; Hannah, 13 March 1845;
Sarah, 14 March 1847; James, 3 March 1849; Joseph Jr., 28 May 1850; Elizabeth,
16 April 1852; Ann, 16 Jan 1854; and Mary Jane, 23 Dec. 1855
1847 was an important year for the family! Their home was "opened" to the Gospel about 1844. They heard the missionaries and were converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They chose to be baptized by 1847. Mary was first on 11 Aug 1847; the following Dec. 19th was Joseph's baptism. Their children were baptized in later years. Joseph's baptism marked the beginning of a life-time of devoted service to the church.
The 1851 census, in which the family was listed as living at Nethertown,
showed Joseph Hepworth and his sons William (11), EDMUND (10), and SQUIRE (7)
to be coal miners.(their coal would be known as lignite here) The boys did various jobs around the mines, such as running errands for the miners, moving emptied coal cars back to the miners, pushing loaded coal cars out of the mine, etc. Each day they walked to the mine. Once at the mine they would go down a long way on the elevator (called the shaft) then walk through the low tunnels to their various jobs. Joseph's 7th child, James, records that the boys and their father worked from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. with little break. Edmund is quoted as saying, "We went to work before daylight, we came out of the pit after dark, we only saw daylight on Sundays. William and I worked together. Many's the day we worked on a penny loaf of bread, nothin' to it, not even a drink of water to it. On Sundays there was a little meat for those who worked, the children never had meat to eat. We saw the children only on Sunday, on the other days they were in bed when we got home and were still in bed when we went to work in the morning." When they returned home at night after a hard day's work and sat down to supper, they would often fall asleep at the table before finishing dinner.
The mines meant a living for Joseph and his family, but also brought tragedy.
In the Spring of 1851 in a mine at Drighlington, an explosion of gas half buried William in coal and dirt. Although Edmund had been working at his side, he moved away just before the accident, narrowly missing harm. William lingered four days, then died. He was Joseph's oldest living son, 12 years old.
Life was not easy for the family. The brothers' biographies record that food was minimal. Meat was a rarity, cheese a luxury. Joseph Jr. recalled that he and his younger brother Samuel had to wait until the older brothers had eaten before they could have what was left. Sometimes the family had only dried bread to eat.
Education was very expensive and the children had to work to help support the family. One early record Joseph signed with an X, indicating he couldn't read or write. In i860 he was still using a mark, but by 1865 he wrote to his children who were living in America.
Shortly before 12 Oct 1861, Joseph moved his family to Howly Back Brick Row near Batley. It was here that Joseph spent a great deal of time aiding and assisting the L.D.S. Missionaries. Samuel Smith, a nephew of Joseph F. Smith, was on a mission in Drigh1ington. Joseph offered his home to hold meetings and as a haven for the missionaries to sleep and eat in. He also went on the streets preaching and holding meetings with them.
Joseph's sons Edmund and Squire and their wives emigrated in 1864 to
America, eventually settling in Oxford, Oneida, Idaho. At some time during this period, Joseph's wife, Mary Hirst Hepworth, emigrated with her three youngest children. Joseph's daughter, Hannah, later emigrated with two or three of her children. In 1870 she was married and sealed to Charles Balmforth, an L.D.S. missionary in 1863 in the Drighlington area. That same day her mother Mary Hirst Hepworth was sealed to him also.
In 1870 Joseph Hepworth emigrated on the ship Idaho to America, then on to Salt Lake City, Utah. He stayed a short time, and finding out how things were with his wife, Mary Hirst, he left and went to Oxford, Idaho, where his sons, Edmund and Squire, and their families were living.
During Joseph's years in Howly Back Brick Row, which is to the south of Upper Batley and to the east of Batley, he became acquainted with the John Hobson family. John's wife Ann Lambert Hobson's niece, EMILY DYSON. married Joseph's 4th son, Squire. These families must have known each other well because when Ann's husband, John, died, Joseph mentioned it in a letter to his children.
After Joseph left England for the U.S., Joseph Jr. lived with Ann Lambert and
her sons, Jesse and Alma. Ann Lambert and her sons, Jesse and Alma, emigrated on the ship Wisconsin on 2 July 1873. Joseph had lived in Oxford for three years before Ann came over. During this time they communicated with each other through Joseph Jr., as Ann was unable to read or write.
On 27 Oct 1873 Joseph and Ann took out their endowments and were sealed at the Endowment house in Salt Lake. Joseph, Ann, and their sons, EDMUND, SQUIRE Hepworth, Jesse Hobson, and Alma Hobson, and their families all lived in Oxford for many years.
Joseph lived in Oxford for five years; he died on 18 April 1878 and was buried in the south-west section of the Oxford cemetery. It is believed that Edmund's 2nd wife, Eliza Sant, and some grandchildren are in this plot. Joseph's beloved wife, Ann, was laid to rest by his side 19 April 1903.
Hinckley Academy/High School
Contributor: Will Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago
The old Hinckley Academy located at 55 N. 200 W. in Hinckley (Millard) was under construction from ca. 1909 to 1912, the result of private, church and local monetary contributions. From 1910 to 1923 the building was known as the Millard LDS Academy. From 1923 to 1953, the building served as Hinckley High School. Harold Hepworth and Don Morris, both graduates of the school have fond memories of days long ago when the Hinckley High School Mustangs won the State Basketball Championship.
Harold’s wife Anna Lee points out that many graduates became notable LDS Church and State leaders. In 1982 the building was placed on the Utah Historic Register.
Over the years the school has been purchased and sold several times and various business ventures have come and gone. In the mid-1970s the Hinckley Elementary School made use of the academy building. It even served as a disco around 1978. The disco, called The Total Eclipse, operated for only about 18 months. In the 1980s, a swimming pool and water slide were built and soon closed again.
Next to the old academy, to the south at 54 N. 200 W., is the old gym. It too has played several different roles over the years. It housed the Review Sportswear Inc. where sports clothes were sewn. Later it became a place where large slabs of rock were polished. It was placed on the Utah Historic Register in 1985.
There was a time when the building was almost demolished because of its dilapidated state. However, the current owner, Heinz Lehwalder, who purchased the building in 1997, is starting to breathe new life into the building. His ambitious plans call for complete renovation of the structure and eventually turning it into an art emporium.