Zella K Hope

1906 - 1962

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Zella K Hope

1906 - 1962
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

I now take the greatest pleasure in starting my life’s history on this day June 29, 1941. I am now the age of 35. My name Zella Keppner Hope. Born feb. 23, 1906, in Hibbard Ward, the town Rexburg Madison County, State of Idaho, and Country America. My father’s name; Hyrum Keppner, born Dec. 5, 1
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Zella K Hope
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Zella K Hope


Rexburg Cemetery

312 Cemetery Rd
Rexburg, Madison, Idaho
United States


August 9, 2011


August 8, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Zella K...

We found more records about Zella K Hope.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Zella K


Zella K Hope is buried in the Rexburg Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Contributor: Pieinthesky Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I now take the greatest pleasure in starting my life’s history on this day June 29, 1941. I am now the age of 35. My name Zella Keppner Hope. Born feb. 23, 1906, in Hibbard Ward, the town Rexburg Madison County, State of Idaho, and Country America. My father’s name; Hyrum Keppner, born Dec. 5, 1881 in Logan Utah. His father’s name Karl Keppner, His mother’s maiden name Carry Christena Larcena Nelson. My mother’s maiden name Laura Rozella Saurey born June 3, 1887 in Rexburg. Name of her father, Charles Saurey. Her mother’s maiden name Laura Barber. My great grandfather’s name is John Keppner. Great Grandma’s maiden name Elizabeth Doerle. I was blessed May 6, 1906 in Hibbard ward was Fremont Stake, now Rexburg Stake. By Bishop George Hibbard. I was baptized Feb. 23, 1914 in which was called the Ricks Academy now called Ricks College. Fremont Stake which is called the Rexburg Stake now. I was baptized by, W. J. Flowers, and confirmed March 1, 1914 in Hibbard Ward by Hyrum J. Lucus. When I was three years old my father contracted hay in Horseprarie, Montana. We went in a covered wagon. He contracted for two years. While we were there Mother taught me to sew. I started a set of quilt blocks when I was three years old and finished them when I was six years old. When I was five years old we came back home. I brought a pet cat home with me. We had to camp two or three nights and every morning when I would get up, no cat to be found. How bad I did feel but with good luck the cat was found every morning. We arrived home and my father bought a farm 2 miles north of the Hibbard Church house. I started to school at the age of 6 years 7 months at the north Hibbard school. My first few days were very exciting especially to some of the older children there was only one teacher for all the pupils. The teacher in which I had was a very cross sort of a person her name was Miss Akens she had three colors of hair. To a great surprise the second day she ask her first grade what the word Mother was of course not one of us knew the word and I was the last one she ask and I guess it made her mad and she took me and gave me a hard shake and tore the sleeve lose from my dress. I had that teacher until Christmas and the Trusties sent for another teacher from Swan Valley to take some of the grades. She took the smaller grades and how happy I was. He name was Miss Gutchey. She was a short heavy set woman with a very sweet personality. We all thought the world of her, she taught us for two years. The teacher for the next two years was Miss Walker. She taught one year then she got married and her name was Mrs. Sermon. She also was a wonderful teacher. They had the love for the children. I lived about one block from the school house. I went my four years being neither absent nor tardy. I received certificates each month for good attendance, at the end of the years I received large ones. Thas was my attendance for the first four years. We then moved out to the South part of the ward which my Father rented his sisters farm. Which was the Jones place ½ mile East of the Hibbard Church House. I lived ½ mile from the school house. I was in the fifth grade. I had always been in good health, but to the greatest surprise that year after Christmas I got very ill, my mother discovered that I had measles. I had to stay out of school for seven days, that hurt my feelings very much. Then I was able to go back to school. That was the only time I stayed out in my eight years of grade school. My teachers name that year was Miss Rasmussen, she also was a very good teacher. That following summer I had exema on my face and arms to my shoulders, it was very uncomfortable. I wasn’t able to do anything in the house so I had the privilege of hearding cows. To pass the time away I took my knitting and knitted me a scarf I was then the age of 12 years. June 15, 1915 I was 9 years old my father and mother went to the Salt Lake Temple to be sealed to each other and I was sealed to my parents. Fall soon came, I started to school again, I was in the sixth grade. I had a man teacher, the first man teacher I’d had. I was very afraid of him at first but he was the best teacher I’d had. His name was Mr. Jesse Roberts from Sugar City. That winter the 18th day of Dec. 1918 we moved again to the place which was the John Evans place, one mile east and ½ mile south of the Hibbard church house. That winter the flu was very bad, I and Mother had the flu the same time just before we got sick Father had it then it was Mothers and my turn to have it. We were very bad, but with good care and faith we were permitted to get better. That was the time so many people lost their lives. The summer before that I had two uncles and one cousin go into the world war one. My Uncles’ names were Levi Saurey and Fred D. Saurey, when he was in the training camp took sick with the flu and died. He was sent home for burial. He was married, he died Oct. 20, 1918. My cousins name was Will stout. When I was in the seventh grade Mr. Roberts also taught me. I was very fond of helping outside so I had the privilege that summer helping out in the field beside milking cows, I’d milked cows ever since I was 6 years old. That fall when school started again I was in the eight grade, my teacher that year was Mr. Wm. Hoskins, he was a brother to Elmer Hoskins which married an aunt of mine, Mrs. Edith Saurey Hoskins. The following spring, May 6, 1920 I graduated from the eighth grade, there were nine in my class, eight girls and one boy. We loved our teacher very much. Our class colors were purple and white, our dresses were skirts and middies and a purple tie. We didn’t like the idea of that kind of dress to graduate in, but Bro. Hyrum Manwaring spoke to our graduation exercises. He highly honored us for the way we looked in our graduation dresses and how took part on the program. He also presented us with our diplomas in which we were very proud of. Our teacher also presented us with a lovely red rose bud. I certainly did enjoy my eight years of grade school. When fall rolled around again I started to high school which was called the Ricks normal College. I rode back and forth with other children for three years. When I was the age of 14 I was a Beehive girl. I had very good times in my young days going to dances and parties. When I was the age of 16 I was a teacher in the primary class at Sunday School. I also was a secretary in the mutual. I worked with those two for 1 ½ years, then I was released from them. Then I was sustained a assistant secretary to the Sunday School. I certainly did enjoy my work with the church. I was always ready to try. I payed my tithing every year. My father would allow five dollars each year for me. My parent also were the president of the mutual. Mother was president of the young women and Father president to young men. They always encouraged me to attend my church duties. I then came the age of 18 years 8 months, I was married the 15 day of October 1923 to Clarence Dewey Hope in the Salt Lake L.D.S. Temple. We then moved to Burton on the place which was the old Ed Ricks place across the road north from A.M. Carter. Five miles west from Rexburg. The year of 1924 Aug. 23 a baby boy was born to us, we named him Clarence Lennis Hope. We were very much thrilled over him, he weighed 7 ¼ pounds had a head of black hair. The year March 9, 1926 another boy was born, he was a large baby weighing 10 ½ pounds, we were also happy over him. We named him Hyrum Lauris. The year 1928 another boy was born, we named him James LeRoy. We did want very bad a baby girl, but after he got here safe and sound we were satisfied and very happy to greet him here. He weighed 9 pounds. The year 1929 March 18 with a great surprise and also happiness another baby boy was born, he was also a nice baby weighing 8 pounds. We named him Keppner Eldon. After that we give up all hopes and almost lost faith in having a girl. The year 1931 Sept. a little black headed baby girl was born, that was the thrill of our life, we named her Rozella. She weighed 7 ½ lbs. 1934 another baby boy came to our family which was very welcome, we named him Darrell E. Hope. He weighed 8 ½ lbs. He was one year 7 months old and my Mother died Oct., 26, 1935. Twelve days after that , Nov. 8, 1935 another baby girl was born, we named her Laura. I was at the Middleton Maternity home. She weighed 9 lbs. and was a beautiful baby with lots of black hair. The year 1938 March 22 another baby was born which we were very happy. We named him Charles LaVere, he weighed 7 2/3 lbs. He was the one I declared wasn’t ours because he was ball headed. I was also to the Middleton Maternity with him. The year 1939 Nov. 13 another baby boy was born, we named him Sylverus K. Hope, he weighed 7 ½ lbs. He was also a grand baby, he is our baby boy up until this time. My Aunt Mrs Ella Keppner took care of me at my home at that time. The year 1942 June 11 a big husky black headed baby girl was born which was a very sweet baby. She also was born at the Middleton Maternity home, she weighed 9 ½ lbs. We named her Phyllis Hope. She was attractive to everyone that seen her head of hair. Aug. 23, 1943 Lennis our oldest child became the age of 18, World War II was raging and he was called into the service of our country. He was called into the Navy, he took his training at Foggarett Idaho for two months then had a leave for Christmas for two weeks, then he was sent to Great Lakes Illinois to take a 6 weeks course which was the day another baby girl was born to our family. We were also very happy over her, she weighed 7 lbs. We named her Lenna Marie Hope. She and all the rest are the thrill of our lives. That was the end of our family up to this time, Feb 3, 1948. We have a family of 7 boys and 4 girls and are very happy they are all in good health. Lennis was sent to Brooklyn New York where he worked in the Hospital for 6 weeks then he was assigned to a ship which was called the USS Samual Chase ship. He was one of the group that was called to the Front to help with the wounded soldiers. He then worked himself up in higher ranks until he became one to help the Dr. do operations. He was overseas 6 months, then his ship was sent back to the United States to be repaired. We new nothing about him being back until he called one morning and asked if we wanted another one home. That was really a happy moment. He was home one week then sent back to New York expecting to be sent back overseas but the ship needed more repairing than what was expected so he was sent to Virginia. He worked there in the hospital until he was discharged then he returned home May 17, 1946. What a happy day for us all. Another boy from our family, Hyrum Lauris, enlisted Feb 10, 1945, in the Navy. His call came May 17, 1945, he took his training in San Diego Calif. He was home on leave two months later then he was sent to Pearl Harbor. The name of his ship was the USS Grapple, he was there 10 months then he sailed for home. War was over before he had to go overseas, that did make us all feel happy. He was then discharged and we were a happy family again. He returned home July 27, 1946. I was asked to teach the New Testament class in Sunday School. When I had one child I was a teacher about one year then I was asked to be a teacher in the primary. I taught the zion girls and boys. I enjoyed myself very much. Sept. 14, 1942, I was set apart for BeeHive Keeper in the mutual, I was beehive teacher for three years. Feb 28, 1943 I went to Salt Lake to have my operation, I’d been to the Dr. a few times and they had found that I had gall stones so they had to be removed. I was operated on March 2, 1943. It was a bad operation so the Dr. said but I got along real well and returned to my home March 18, 1943, and from then on I was in good health. Jan. 6, 1946, I was sustained first assistant in the girls committee with Sister Alice Smith as President and Sister Marion Spaulding second assistant in the Burton Ward. Feb 1, 1948, I was sustained as second counselor in the Relief Society of the Burton Ward to Sister Grace Smith President and Sister Myrtle Beattie as first counselor. I have enjoyed myself thus far in helping in any organization which they ask me to help in. I’ve always been in good health up to this date, Feb. 3, 1948. The house in which I was born in was 2 ½ miles north of the Hibbard church house in a two roomed log house in the east end of my Grandfather Saurey’s farm. A few years the house was pulled down. (I guess this us tge way I got my name). I remember hearing father and mother talking and they said they decided before I was born, father said if I was a girl I was to have the name zella because you don’t hear it very often and mother if it is a boy I was to be named Kenneth or Ivan. So I gues that was how I got my name. I had my Patriarchal Blessing April 6, 1940, in Rexburg by Patriarch Alma B. Larsen at his home in Rexburg. Dec. 5, 1946 our second boy Lauris was married to Laura Sutton. They went to Leadore to live March 12, 1947. Our oldest boy Lennis was married to Verla Clark. They went to Leadore to live, Oct 15, 1947. Our third boy LeRoy was married to Maxine Weekes. They lived in Rexburg. The year Sept. 28, 1949, our oldest daughter, Rozella was married to Junior Weekes they lived in Archer. March 21, 1951 our fourth boy Elden was married to Joan Hunter of Kilgore, they moved to Kilgore to make their home. Feb. 13, 1952, our second girl Laura was married to Sgt. Merrill Huffaker, who was in the national guards 116th Engr. He was in Korea nearly one year. Laura was faithful and prayerful and wishing he would get home in safety. Jan. 27, 1952 Merrill arrived home, it was a happy day for us all to see him again. Up to this time we feel proud of our family, they all have been to the Temple to be married. We love them all. We now have sold our place in Burton to Charles Thomason, Feb. 1952. And the place out to Kilgore we sold to Alvin Munns. We have bought three ranches out to Darlington, the Yergison place and two MaCaffee places. Clyde and Alberts places LeRoy is now living out there this day Feb. 24, 1952. Sept. 27, 1947, our first grandchild was born, which was Wayne Hope a son to Lauris and Laura. Oct. 5, 1948, a grand daughter was born which was the daughter to LeRoy and Maxine Hope. Her name is Myrna. July 14, 1949, another baby was born to Lauris and Laura, his name, Roger K. Hope. He was 26 months old when he drowned, Sept. 7, 1951. Oct. 7, 1950 another grand daughter was born , a daughter to Lennis and Verla Hope which is Martha. Nov. 3, 1950, another grandson, a son was born to Rozella and Junior which is Roney. Up to this time we have five grandchildren 4 living. Feb. 24, 1952. March 27, 1952, a granddaughter, a daughter was born to LeRoy and Maxine Hope, her name is Glenda. June 5, 1952 another grandson, a son to Lauris and Laura Hope his name Craig. Aug. 27, 1952 another grandson, a son to Elden and Joan Hope, his name is Berdett Hope. Nove. 17, 1952, another granddaughter was born, a daughter to Lennis and Verla Hope, her name Marjie. Dec. 25, 1952 a grandson, a son to Laura and Merrill Huffaker was born. March 10, 1955 I was called to be the President of the Primary at Leslie Ward Lost River Stake. I then chose my counselors which was Merle Hine, Delma McAffee and Sec. was Bernice Arave. I then stayed president for two years, I was released March 3, 1957. I also was teacher in the Sunday School and speech director in the mutual and have been Relief Society visiting teacher for the past 5 years. July 7, 1957, I was sustained as Secretary in the Mutual.

Memorial / Obituary / Personal History

Contributor: Pieinthesky Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I was never able to meet Grandma Zella but I know that my Grandpa spoke fondly of her.

Life timeline of Zella K Hope

Zella K Hope was born in 1906
Zella K Hope was 11 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Zella K Hope was 22 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Zella K Hope was 24 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Zella K Hope was 39 years old when World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. Thirty-five thousand people are killed outright, including 23,200-28,200 Japanese war workers, 2,000 Korean forced workers, and 150 Japanese soldiers. Nagasaki is the capital and the largest city of Nagasaki Prefecture on the island of Kyushu in Japan. The city's name, 長崎, means "long cape" in Japanese. Nagasaki became a centre of colonial Portuguese and Dutch influence in the 16th through 19th centuries, and the Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region have been recognized and included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Part of Nagasaki was home to a major Imperial Japanese Navy base during the First Sino-Japanese War and Russo-Japanese War.
Zella K Hope was 47 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Zella K Hope died in 1962 at the age of 56
Grave record for Zella K Hope (1906 - 1962), BillionGraves Record 96788 Rexburg, Madison, Idaho, United States