Wyman Hardison Redd

4 Nov 1922 - 10 Feb 2010

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Wyman Hardison Redd

4 Nov 1922 - 10 Feb 2010
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Our Daddy, Wyman Hardison Redd, was born on November 4, 1922, in the 'Little Dirty House' which his parent rented here in Monticello. He was the second child and first son of A. Jay and Marie Redd. His older sister, Imogene, was 3 years old. Just a year later, close to Thanksgiving, his little broth

Life Information

Wyman Hardison Redd


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States


April 5, 2015


April 5, 2015

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Wyman Hardison


Wyman Hardison Redd is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Life Sketch of Wyman Hardison Redd that was given by his daughter, Julie Ann Baird at his funeral on February 20, 2010 at the Monticello Stake Center.

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Our Daddy, Wyman Hardison Redd, was born on November 4, 1922, in the "Little Dirty House" which his parent rented here in Monticello. He was the second child and first son of A. Jay and Marie Redd. His older sister, Imogene, was 3 years old. Just a year later, close to Thanksgiving, his little brother, Stephen Joined the family. Wyman and Stephen became constant companions. It was a very difficult experience for the whole family when only 4 years later Stephen passed away after a short illness. I can't imagine what it was like for our father, to lose his "little companion". How does a 5 year comprehend this loss? In order to cope, the little family of four moved to Southern California and fulfilled a six month service mission. It was here that Daddy served his very first mission, pulling his little red wagon with missionary pamphlets......trying his best to sell the Gospel. He was 7 when his little sister Alene was born and they moved into their new home. When he was 8, he was baptized by his father in their very own bathtub. At age 10, his younger brother Mason joined the family and 14 when Whitney, or "Buddy" came along. He attended elementary and high school here in Monticello. I can remember being really proud that I went to the same school that my father did.....for a few years anyway. He was elected student body president his senior year. Some of his favorite classes became his hobbies and prepared him for his family life. In shop class he made his first pair of skis which he used on scouting trips. When he attended the World Boy Scout Jamboree in Washington D.C. he had made his own tent and back pack. He joined the photography club and learned darkroom procedures which he used for years making family Christmas cards. I will always remember saying up late at night to watch him work his homemade box which would magically expose the negative to paper. Then the picture would magically appear in the pan of chemicals. It was delightful to watch this amazing talent. He learned how to play the trumpet (after his mother backed over the violin) and even played in several dance bands. After graduating from high school in 1941, he attended Utah State Agricultural College at Logan. He was a member of the ROTC band and did very well in school. In March, 1943 he was inducted into the United States Air Force. After basic training, he was classified to train as a fighter pilot and was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in June, 1944. He learned to fly the P38, P39 and the P51. I MUST say that we all love his military photos. No one was more handsome in uniform than OUR DAD. In August, 1945 he was assigned to the Philippines and was eating a buffalo steak dinner when they got word that the bomb had been dropped on Japan, ending the war. He was among the first group to occupy Japan after the war and after spending a year there he was released from active duty in August 9f 1946. Following the war, Daddy attended BYU for a year studying business. It was here that he met Mary Louise Madsen who was at BYU looking for her very own "Y" man and was thrilled when she met Wyman. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple on June 30, 1948 and they made their home in Monticello. Daddy worked for his Dad in the mercantile business until 1950. After that he did a few odd jobs until getting on a the Monticello Uranium Mill. There he started a a utility man and worked his way up to chief chemist. I will always remember watching for him to come home for dinner when the whistle would go off at 5:00 p.m. It was a signal that Daddy would be home soon. In 1959 he became partners with his younger brother, Whitney, in the Redd Livestock Company, and for 30 years he worked almost 24/7 with cattle, horses, fencing, tractors, etc. He always worked very hard and i believe it was because he was taught at a very young age....the value of work. To quote Dad: "As I look back over the years, I see how Dad (Granddad) tried very hard to instill in our lives good principles that would help us be successful in governing our lives. I remember as a boy, he gave me the job of catching mice in the old store--a job I handed down to Mason, and he in turn, to Buddy. I would get 5 cents per mouse. I was to check the traps each day, emptying and resetting them. At home I was expect to milk the cow, gather eggs, chop wood and weed the garden. Each spring about lambing time, I would go to the sheep camp with Dad and bring back the doggie lambs. We would usually end up with about 12-15 lambs to bottle feed all summer. I swatted flies for one summer and received 5 cents per 100 flies. I spent a lot of time in our old pig pen that summer. Another job I had was picking dandelions for my neighbors who used them for making dandelion wine. I believe we were paid about 10 cents a gallon!" Our Dad was raised in an active LDS home and through many experiences, choosing to be obedient, serving in various callings, he always set the example as one who had a very strong testimony of the gospel. I remember always having Family Home Evenings and Dad being involved in Stake Mission callings. After I left home, he was in the Bishopric and on the High Council. In 1989 he was finally able to serve a full-time mission with Mom to the Canada Calgary Mission which I know he enjoyed very much. I have been told by many people, that our Daddy was a dedicated home teacher....that he was their favorite home teacher. He was a gentle, kind, happy man always ready to give a hug. He had a special sense of humor and he kept it until the very end. Until just a few years ago, he never just walked, he sort of did a running/skip wherever he went. He could whistle andy tune and he would whistle while he worked,. There was nothing he couldn't do. If he didn't know how, he would figure it out. He is probably most famous for his garden and his candy making. Christmas became a most special occasion because of his chocolates and everyone wanted their own box. Today, I have just briefly touched on the highlights of his life. I, personally, have so many special memories of him that I don't think I could choose just one. So, I'm going to say that this last year has been one very SPECIAL tender mercy from my Heavenly Father. Even though he couldn't tell us our names, his face would light up brightly and he would smile so BIG when we came to be with him. He knew we were his children. There were so many precious moments......caring for him, trying to get him to dance while we walked to the bathroom, sharing the same tune, making silly faces.....and tucking him in at night. I would kiss him and say, "Good night - I love you Daddy" and he would clearly say, "I love you too." A few years ago, when he was asked WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST REGRET? He simply said, "Sorry, but I have no regrets." I am thankful daily for the blessing of having Wyman Hardison Redd as our Father. Thank you for being with us today and honoring him. I say, these things, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Stephen Ekins Redd

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Stephen Ekins Redd was born November 26, 1923 thirteen months after Wyman Hardison Redd was born. He and Wyman, so close in years and in companionship, seemed more like twins. They used to play together and walk together holding hands. When some older boys stopped and teased Wyman, Stephen came to his rescue with, "Don't you hurt my little buvver." Marie sewed cute suits for both boys. Jay built a fence around the "Dirty House," which was just south of the store, to keep the children from wandering off. Stephen, when he was three years old, got out of the yard one afternoon and wandered down the street. Jay, who was sitting at the counter in the store, looked out and saw Stephen hanging by his fingers to a culvert across the street, just minutes from being sucked under by the swift current. Jay ran across the street and grabbed the child into his arms just in time. He, being very upset, spanked Stephen and took him home. Jay, normally quite ruddy of complexion, was very pale. Another experience that same summer frightened Marie in a similar way. Stephen had again gotten out of the yard. Marie saw him across the street hanging between the hind legs of a horse. She feared she would never get across the street in time, but she did. She rescued Stephen and took him home. Later Marie and Jay felt these incidents had been a forewarning of what was to come. In October of that same year, Stephen, just shy of his fourth birthday, became very ill with what was thought to be stomach flu. Marie was very worried about him. Stephen, seeing her tears, asked, "Mama, are you laughing?" Marie told him she was, which contented him. When she told him they were taking him to the hospital in Moab, Stephen, in mature perception, told her if they took him there, he would die. Jay and Marie took him to Moab to the hospital as there were no doctors nor facilities in Monticello at that time. Marie wanted to stay with Stephen at night, but they would not allow her to do so. After a couple of days and Stephen was still sick, the hospital staff admitted to Jay that the doctor hadn't examined him yet. They advised Jay to take the boy home. Before they could get away, however, Stephen showed signs of worsening. Very shortly he was dead. Nothing had been done for him at all. Jay felt certain the doctor, a heavy drinker and a woman chaser, was negligent in this case, and this negligence caused Stephen's death. They carried the dead body back to Monticello in the car; Marie said she couldn't look at him. She said that when Wyman found out, he lay on the floor and screamed. Jay and Marie never completely got over this terrible experience. Although, Jay tried not to dwell on the memory of it, Marie mourned it the rest of her life. Taken from excerpts in "A Bridge in Time--Biographies of Amasa Jay Redd 1895-1984 and Alice Marie Ekins Redd 1895-1985" written by A. La Raine M. Redd, 1986.

Life timeline of Wyman Hardison Redd

Wyman Hardison Redd was born on 4 Nov 1922
Wyman Hardison Redd was 8 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Wyman Hardison Redd was 18 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
Wyman Hardison Redd was 35 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Wyman Hardison Redd was 47 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
Wyman Hardison Redd was 56 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
Wyman Hardison Redd was 58 years old when Mount St. Helens erupts in Washington, United States, killing 57 people and causing $3 billion in damage. Mount St. Helens or Louwala-Clough is an active stratovolcano located in Skamania County, Washington, in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. It is 50 miles (80 km) northeast of Portland, Oregon and 96 miles (154 km) south of Seattle, Washington. Mount St. Helens takes its English name from the British diplomat Lord St Helens, a friend of explorer George Vancouver who made a survey of the area in the late 18th century. The volcano is located in the Cascade Range and is part of the Cascade Volcanic Arc, a segment of the Pacific Ring of Fire that includes over 160 active volcanoes. This volcano is well known for its ash explosions and pyroclastic flows.
Wyman Hardison Redd was 71 years old when The Rwandan genocide begins when the aircraft carrying Rwandan president Juvénal Habyarimana and Burundian president Cyprien Ntaryamira is shot down. The Rwandan genocide, also known as the genocide against the Tutsi, was a genocidal mass slaughter of Tutsi in Rwanda by members of the Hutu majority government. An estimated 500,000 to 1,000,000 Rwandans were killed during the 100-day period from 7 April to mid-July 1994, constituting as many as 70% of the Tutsi population. Additionally, 30% of the Pygmy Batwa were killed. The genocide and widespread slaughter of Rwandans ended when the Tutsi-backed and heavily armed Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) led by Paul Kagame took control of the country. An estimated 2,000,000 Rwandans, mostly Hutus, were displaced and became refugees.
Wyman Hardison Redd was 79 years old when The September 11 attacks, a series of coordinated suicide attacks killing 2,996 people using four aircraft hijacked by 19 members of al-Qaeda. Two aircraft crash into the World Trade Center in New York City, a third crashes into The Pentagon in Arlington County, Virginia, and a fourth into a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. The September 11 attacks were a series of four coordinated terrorist attacks by the Islamic terrorist group al-Qaeda against the United States on the morning of Tuesday, September 11, 2001. The attacks killed 2,996 people, injured over 6,000 others, and caused at least $10 billion in infrastructure and property damage. Additional people died of 9/11-related cancer and respiratory diseases in the months and years following the attacks.
Wyman Hardison Redd died on 10 Feb 2010 at the age of 87
Grave record for Wyman Hardison Redd (4 Nov 1922 - 10 Feb 2010), BillionGraves Record 13422417 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States