Wilson Allred

1876 - 1944

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Wilson Allred

1876 - 1944
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

WILSON ALLRED November 26, 1876 – September 20, 1944 MARY LAURA JOHNSON March 2, 1881 to May 14, 1957 Wilson was born on 26th of November 1876 to Wilson Monroe Allred and Elizabeth Ivy at Rabbit Valley (Loa) S. Utah. The following is a brief history of Wilson written by his daughter Ila Allred Rob

Life Information

Wilson Allred


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States


July 11, 2014


July 10, 2014

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Wilson


Wilson Allred is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Wilson Monroe Allred

Contributor: kevsha Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

WILSON ALLRED November 26, 1876 – September 20, 1944 MARY LAURA JOHNSON March 2, 1881 to May 14, 1957 Wilson was born on 26th of November 1876 to Wilson Monroe Allred and Elizabeth Ivy at Rabbit Valley (Loa) S. Utah. The following is a brief history of Wilson written by his daughter Ila Allred Robson around 1986. Wilson Allred went to work when he was very young. His father was 50 years old when he married his wife, Elizabeth Ivy. A few years later he married another girl named Barbara. He had fourteen children by these two wives. Because of his age and a leg injury received during the Civil War in Texas. Wilson’s father was never able to support his large family very well, so after going to school until he finished the sixth grade, Wilson had little jobs to help the family. He mostly farmed out to local farmers to help them on the farms and this was where he learned to love livestock. As he grew older, Wilson moved farther away from his family and home Price Utah. It was while working for the Larsen brothers in Greenriver that he met Laura (Mary Laura Johnson). The oldest of the Larsen brother was married to Laura’s sister, Lottie. Laura was very friendly with the Larsen’s and it was through them that Laura met Wilson. Just what Wilson was working at when he married Laura is not known but a letter to Laura sent by Wilson about six months after they married, places him at Coyote and the Cross H Cattle Co. Bishop D A Johnson married FYI, Wilson and Laura at Moab on January 18, 1899. About the first seven or eight years of their married life Laura and Wilson lived in LaSal, which was knows as Coyote because of the great numbers of coyotes around. This was all very wonderful for Wilson, who, who had the job he wanted as head of a big new cattle company. He loved working with animals and even thought most of the men he was in charge were older than he, he proved to be very capable in him job. It was a different thing for Laura as she was alone most of the day and used to her large happy family and friends in Moab. She also missed her church and spent many lonely days and nights alone without even any close neighbors. It was a two mile walk to the friend she visited the most. A lady by the name of Prewer. Mrs. Prewer was from England. They had a small but pretty ranch in the center of the large Cross H Ranch. It was like an oasis with its green pastures, orchards and grape arbors where we often had a cool drink with cookies after the long hot walk in the dusty road. Our nearest neighbor was a Mrs. Savage, but she spent most of her time in Moab where her two oldest daughters lived. There was a Mrs. Cunningham who only stayed during the summer months and a Mrs. Carpenter, whose husband owned part of the ranch. She was never friendly and never visited the ranch very often. Carpenter and Cunningham bought out the farmers who owned what is now LaSal (Coyote then). My father worked for the cattle company for ten years. When he quit, his brother-in-law, Wash Johnson, became foreman. Laura traveled to Moab to have her first three children, Horace, Ila and Eugene, but before Julia was born they bought a little two-room log house at the foot of the hill on the southeast side of Moab. Julia was born in this little house. I remembered it as such a nice place to live. I can remember many happy times and sad times there. There were 4 children now and our father was seldom home. One thing about a half a block away lived Uncle Orris and Aunt Mil and their grown children who took us under their wing and helped my mother. They spoiled us children. Our mother never needed a baby sitter with these kind people nearby. Wilson still worked at LaSal for a few more years and Laura missed him as well as did Horace, Eugene and Ila. Julia was just a few months old. We had many happy years in the little log house at the foot of the hill. Laura had her parents, her family and her church to keep busy, and Wilson was at home as often as his work allowed him to be. The soil was so rocky around the house we couldn’t have a garden or even a small lawn. Laura did try to raise a few chickens in the back yard but a big tomcat took care of them. Ila remembered Horace and her catching the cat one day and took it back into the hills and tied it up. Horace threw a big rock at it and then we ran home as fast as we could. A few days later we got brave enough to sneak back to see if it was still there, but it had gotten loose and was gone. We never did see it again, but Laura gave up on chickens for the time being. Toys were unheard of in those days for us, but we had a matchbox each and we had our toy beans in them. The red and white beans were our cows and the white and red ones were our horses. We had twigs for corrals and we often spent hours with our cows and horse. The side of the hill had been scrapped away and we dug roads and tunnels in the soft earth. It was here in the little house beside the hill that Laura came down with scarlet fever a month or so after Julia was born. Shortly after that Eugene came down with the fever also. They say that nursing babies do not get scarlet fever, but if Julia had it, it was so light that it was not noticeable. Horace and Ila never did get the fever, but Laura was very sick and the doctor nearly gave up on her, and poor little Eugene nearly chocked to death. Ila said she still can hear him beg to scratch his back. Their first great sorrow was when Uncle Orris died. He had been like a kind of grandfather to them. Horace finished second grade and Ila finished the first grade before their parents bought the big house on the east side of Moab, closer to the river. About the time they bought their house in the north end of Moab, their dad Wilson, and his brother Bert made a successful bid to carry the mail, freight, and passengers from the D.R.G. RR station at Thompson, Utah to Moab. This changed their whole way of life. The home they bought was a dream house to all of them who were used to life in a two-room log house. It was a large six-room house, with bay windows in the living room and in one of the bedrooms. It had a large vine covered porch and a grape arbor in the rear of the house. There was a large orchard with all kinds of fruit trees; Ila said she could still remember the blackberry patch as well and a raspberry patch. The people that had owned the home before made their living off the grapes that grew on the lot, and the fruit on the many trees. Wilson had h is other interest and way of making a living, so soon the trees in the orchard were cut and the land planted in alfalfa. The year 1910 found them in their new house with Wilson and his brother operating a mail route. It was a stagecoach operation. Wilson drove the freight wagon that was pulled by four horses. Horses were held at Thompson and they would be driven to a half waypoint between Moab and Thompson where there was a rest station. Horses were at the rest station and Mr. and a Mrs. Farrol ran the station. Mrs. Farrol would serve the meals and Mr. Farrol would hitch up fresh horses for the stage and coach. It took a great many horses to keep the operation going. The near tragedies that nearly happened to the mail route was when their cousin set fire to the hay stack while playing with matches and the time their Uncle Lee, Wilson’s half brother, got drunk and drove the stage coach full of passengers into Seven Mile Wash that was in flood stage and nearly drowned everyone. There were threats of lawsuits because of the accident, but in those days the lawsuits were not pushed like they are today. After the first mail contract ran out, Wilson and Bert bid again for the contract, but this time it was a contract to carry the mail and freight not only to Moab but also as far as Monticello. It was on this stay over several nights a week that Wilson became interested in filing on a dry farm His small heard of cattle had also increased to the point where he was interested in looking for range land to place them on. So when the contract to rebid on the mail route came up again in 1916, Wilson and his brother, Bern, did not put in a bid. Wilson bought a home in Monticello and moved his family to Monticello in 1917. Bert went in to the sheep business in Moab with a brother-in-law. Many things happened to the family while living in Moab. One of the most important was the building of the bridge across the river. There was an old ferry that the family crossed with the freight wagons and horses. It was a great day in Moab when the bridge was opened and a big celebration was held. Another event that Ila remembered was when the first cars came to Moab. Bert and Wilson, after looking into the matter, decided to buy two passenger cars. They hired a mechanic by the name of Newhart to keep up the repair and also to drive one of the cars. Bert was also a driver. Wilson would never give up his horses to drive one of the cars. Very few people in Moab had ever seen an automobile, so most of the town awaited their arrival. They were supposed to be in about 5 p.m. but it was around midnight when they arrived. The dirt roads were full of ruts and the sand was deep in some places. The mechanic had to keep very busy just to keep them up. They were very good cars for their day. They were Rambler Cars. Ila said she could remember the day Carl was born. Laura did not feel like going to the 4th of July parade so Julia and Eugene went with Horace and Ila. They got to the main street in Moab to watch parade, when there was a cloud burst and Pack Creek flooded and the water ran two feet into the street and into the stores. It was two feet high in places. It ruined the parade. They had to go into a store until it was over. The store was crowded with people. They were in a store until it was over. Ila said they were like drowned rats by the time they arrived home and their mother was sick with worry. She couldn’t come to get them and she didn’t know what had happened to them. There was another time, in Moab when Carl fell into the coals and burned his hand. Wilson had been killing pigs and heating the water and scalded them with a wood fire at the end of the orchard. After he was finished the fire appeared to be out. It was a sad day for them. Eugene had to hold Carl’s finger calling for Laura to come help. Eugene was as white as a sheet. According to Ila, Eugene had a tender heart. In 1917, Wilson and Laura moved to Monticello. Page was a baby and Horace could hardly wait until his next birthday when he would be 20 and could join the Marines. Their house in Monticello was much smaller than the one in Moab and they were crowded. They had electric lights but the water still had to be packed from outside. In fact, Monticello had just put in electricity and water to homes for a few years. A number of years later a bathroom was put into the house. Laura hated the wind, but it made it cool in Monticello. They had a nice garden spot and a young fruit orchard. Laura loved all of the outdoor work she did not like housework. Things went well the first year. The next year Horace left to join the Marines. Around Thanksgiving the Allred’s received a telegram that said Horace had the flu with complications and was not expected to live. Wilson left to go to Mare Island in California where Horace was; Laura couldn’t go because she was pregnant with Waldo. Wilson left instructions that he had several head of cattle still at the dry farm that had to be brought to town because there was no feed or water for them at the ranch. Eugene and Ila saddled up old Collie and another horse a day after Wilson left to be with Horace, to ride the cows to the forty acres east of town. Things went well for the two until just before they reached the Vegie. Then a sudden thick snowstorm came up. They could not even see the road, they had to get off and lead their horses and prod the cows to keep going. They finally made it but it was an experience they never forgot. Eugene was about 12 years old when Horace went to war but their father needed his help and Wilson was not an easy man to work for. Wilson had been born to a father who was a cripple from the Civil War and had two wives with a combination of twelve children between them. Wilson being the oldest was farmed out to help different farmers for his board and room and a little money, which went to help out his family. Some of those farmers were very good to him, and some were not. Horace had passed his crisis by the time Wilson got there, and was released a short time later from the Marines. After he got home he met and married Ila Walton and was on his own to earn a living for his family. Horace spent one year after the war going to school in Salt Lake, but he wanted to get home so he did not take advantage of the training the government would have given him. Wilson and Laura found life was very different. They had been used to a steady income all of their married life and now they were dependent on the once a year sale of their wheat, and as any farmer knows you cannot always depend on that. Many years the crops failed for different reasons. To help with the income Laura turned to selling a few quarts of mile for a little cash, then when this sale started to bring her in a little money it just seemed to grow. Wilson brought in an extra cow to milk and they started selling cream and butter. When times were good, Wilson placed a mortgage on his dry farm to buy a tractor, but with the war ending (World War I) and the depression setting in, he found he could not pay the loan off, so he like many others in San Juan County lost his farm. By now, however, Wilson had built up a small cattle business and was able to keep going. Wilson and Laura really had three families. Horace and Ila were both in school when Julia and Eugene came along, and by the time Wilson and Laura moved to Monticello she had Carl and Page. Waldo the youngest was born in Monticello. Carl was a good natured, handsome boy with big brown eyes and everyone fell in love with him. He started out early with accidents when he was just a toddler he stumbles into the coals from a fire. He had cripple fingers the rest of his life. He loved sports and followed a basketball team to Cortez he lost his life in a car accident. Carl was a leader and people followed him. Page was named after a man who had been good to Wilson when he was a boy working around for different farmers. He was always Page to Wilson. Page was the next one to pass on after Laura and Wilson. He was in the Navy during World War II, and had just finished his training when the war ended. Wilson died on September 20, 1944 from injuries received from an accident he had while driving a load of hay from the forty acres to feed the cattle. The wheel came off and he fell to the ground breaking several ribs. The doctor did not realize how badly he was injured. When Wilson lay sick in his hospital bed and water was filling his body and the doctor would not let us give him any water, he said, “Get Page, he will get me a cool drink of water.” Laura lived for several more years, dying of a stroke in May of 1957. 1. Wilson Horace Allred, 10/19/1899 – 1/31/1978 md Frances Ila Walton #2 Florine Burr 2. Ila Allred Robson, 10/3/1901 – 4/25/1990 md Gordon A. Robson 3. Eugene Wayne Allred, 10/10/1906 – 10/22/1995 md Sarah Bethel Watts 4. Julia Allred Hyde, 9/22/1908 – 6/19/1987 md Carlos Leo Hyde 5. Carl Nielse Allred, 7/12/1912 – 3/8/1955 md Maxine Bailey 6. Page Monroe Allred, 3/5/1917 – 2/22/1961 md Melva Baker #2 Thelma Carter 7. Waldo Francis Allred, 6/22/1920 – 3/22/2000 md Bernice Estella Parker Originally written by Ila Allred Robson in 1986 Retyped and made small changes by Joyce A. Hunt September 2012

Wilson Allred Cowboy and Businessman

Contributor: kevsha Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

By Sara Allred Watson Spring City, Utah Sara, Eugene, Wilson, Wilson Monroe, William Hackley, James, William, Thomas Wilson Allred was the first child born in the remote Rabbit Valley, today known as Loa, located in Wayne County, Utah. His father and mother, Wilson Monroe Allred and Elizabeth Ann Ivie, were brand new settlers in the area. Wilson, their first child, was born November 26, 1876. At the time Wilson was born, the young family had been in Rabbit Valley for only a few months. Earlier in the year, his parents had followed their uncle, Andrew Jackson Allred, who was sent to create a settlement there. However, by 1878, Wilson Monroe and Elizabeth moved seventy-five miles north, back to their extended families in Spring City, the town founded by the grandparents of Wilson Monroe, James and Elizabeth Allred. When he was a very young teenager, Wilson, accompanied by his younger brother Birten, left Spring City forever. They traveled around, hiring out as cowboys to whatever ranches they happened across. After several years of roaming through southeastern Utah they ended up in Moab. The Johnson family, early settlers of Moab, had a ranch just outside of town. More importantly, they had two lovely daughters, Laura and Anna. Wilson and Mary Laura Johnson met at a dance and were married January 18, 1899. D.A. Johnson, uncle of Laura, performed the marriage ceremony and a wedding dance followed attended by the huge, extended Johnson family. Two years later, Birten married Anna. The two couples remained close all their lives. Several years later, when Wilson and Laura moved south to Monticello, Laura missed her sister and family very much and always thought of Moab as her true home. Wilson, who remained a cowboy at heart all his life, was employed by Carpenter and Cunningham as a foreman on their LaSal cattle ranch. Wilson and Laura spent the early years of their marriage at the ranch. Their first two children, Horace and Ila, were born there. After the children started coming, the little family moved into town. They bought a home and some farmland in Moab. Here, they raised corn, hay, had a large garden and some fruit trees. There was a spring on the hillside of their property that supplied water for their household and irrigation water for their garden and trees. Five more children were born to the family in Moab: Eugene, Julia, Carl, Page and Waldo. In 1910, Wilson and Birt embarked on a com- mercial freight hauling enterprise known as Allred Transportation Company. Their lucky break was landing a mail and freight contract. At first, horses, buggies and wagons were used to haul the loads from the Denver and Rio Grande Railway at Thompson Springs. Relay stations were estab- lished along the route. Keeping the freight moving was very difficult. The roads could barely be classified as roads. There were frequent heavy rains and floods, which washed out the roads, and sand storms that hindered travel. They hauled the freight in areas such as Courthouse Wash, which is now part of Arches National Park. It was rough and dangerous territory. Until 1912, they had to ferry the freight across the Colorado River. After that, they had the beautiful Dewey Bridge to cross. The Allred Transportation Company was so successful that, in addition to the Thompson to Moab route, the brothers were awarded the con- tract from Moab south to Monticello. This route required one relay station at Looking Glass Rock. They also supplemented the horses, buggies and wagons with two Rambler automobiles. The Allred Brothers sold their stage lines in 1917. In the spring of 1918, Wilson and Laura moved to Monticello. They bought a home and 60 acres of land. Wilson began dry farming west of town. He also a large herd of cattle and raised crops necessary to keep the livestock. Laura sold milk, eggs and butter in town to supplement the family income. She raised a large garden and canned the food necessary to keep a growing family. East of the house, she also had a large flower garden in order to supply flowers for weddings and funerals. South of the house was an orchard which kept the family in fruit during the long Monticello winters. West of the house was an icehouse. The ice was kept all summer. Laura could always be depended upon to have home- made ice cream for all-important occasions. With the addition of chickens and pigs, the family always had plenty of good and nourishing food. Laura was a famous cook and Wilson was known as a hard-working man, a good provider for his family. The children grew, married and settled close to their parents. On Christmas Day, the whole clan would gather at the family home. While Laura cooked the big turkey dinner, Wilson would hitch up his famous team of horses to the sleigh and drive around collecting all the children and grand- children. What wonderful memories exist of those times. While hauling a huge load of hay, in the sum- mer of 1944, Wilson suffered a tragic accident. A sudden lurch of the horses caused him to tumble from the top of the load. He died a few days later. None of the sons were interested in farming, they had gone on to other endeavors, so Laura sold the livestock and, over the years, sold most of the farmland. She stayed on at the homestead, kept a few cows and continued to sell milk and butter that she carried to town every day. Wilson Allred was a taciturn man with an unassailable reputation for honesty and integrity. He was a man of honor.

Life timeline of Wilson Allred

Wilson Allred was born in 1876
Wilson Allred was 13 years old when The Eiffel Tower is officially opened. The Eiffel Tower is a wrought iron lattice tower on the Champ de Mars in Paris, France. It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower.
Wilson Allred was 22 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
Wilson Allred was 27 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Wilson Allred was 38 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Wilson Allred was 44 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Wilson Allred was 63 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Wilson Allred died in 1944 at the age of 68
Grave record for Wilson Allred (1876 - 1944), BillionGraves Record 9295246 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States