William Ralph Hoover

5 Jul 1890 - 7 Jun 1963


William Ralph Hoover

5 Jul 1890 - 7 Jun 1963
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of William Ralph Hoover (5 Jul 1890 - 7 Jun 1963) at Provo City Cemetery in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of William Ralph Hoover
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

William Ralph Hoover

Married: 23 Sep 1914

Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


Mother - Father

Headstone Description

Salt Lake Temple


June 26, 2011


June 21, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about William Ralph...

We found more records about William Ralph Hoover.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of William Ralph


William Ralph Hoover is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Margaret Naomi Park Hoover

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

BIOGRAPHY OF MARGARET NAOMI PARK HOOVER. She was born May 13, 1858 in a pioneer home located on 6th South and 7th West, Provo. She was the daughter of John and Louisa Smith Park. Her father, John Park, was the son of James and Marion Allen Park. He was born May 11, 1802 in Cambaslang, Scotland. Her mother, Louisa, was born near Faversham Kent England on the 24th of June, 1818. She was the daughter of William and Mary Ann Staples Smith. The Smith family decided to leave England in search of a new home. Canada being a new country, they felt it offered greater opportunities for the rearing of a family. When they arrived there, they found the land covered with brush and timber. The father lost no time in making the land ready for the crops. Louisa showed the true Pioneer spirit by going out and helping her father burn the brush and logs. John Park, a young man with ambitions, left his home in Scotland to find. a new home which offered greater possibilities. Canada appealed to him as the place. After being there some time, he made the acquaintance of a very fine young lady by the name of Louisa Smith, a school teacher. She received her education in England and was readily accepted to teach school. John Was 37 years of age and she much younger, but when love comes into two persons lives, all barriers such as age are put aside. In 1839, they were married. Soon after their marriage they embraced the Gospel of Jesus Christ of. Latter Day Saints and came to Utah in 1847. He died at the age of 66 years being completely worn out through hard work. He left his widow with a large family of young children. She died Friday, October 23, 1891 at the age of 73 years. They were the parents of 12 children. At the time of her death, there were 62 grandchildren, 1 great grand-child. Margaret was the youngest daughter of this couple. The family lived in the house where she was born until she was five years of age. Then they moved into a small house with a dirt-covered roof. Later they built two rooms a short distance from the home. After Margaret was married, she and her husband lived in this place for three months. Her parents were amongst the first settlers of Provo and lived in the first fort and shared the hardships of These early Pioneer settlers. It was in this fort their first sons were born. Being twins, it created a great deal of curiosity as well as excitement, not only among the whites, but the Indians also. These boys where born Dec. 29, 1849 being the second white children born in Provo. Margaret's father died when she was nine years of age. Her mother had to work very hard to make ends meet. All the children were taught to work at an early age. The four eldest children in the Park family were girls. Jane and Mary were the oldest• When the twins came, Jane cared for William and Mary, John. Jane assisted the mother with the house-hold duties with the younger girls help. Mary helped her father with the farm work. She also assisted her father in making chairs and other furniture for the home. Margaret, being one of the younger children, her responsibilities was not as heavy as the older girls although she was required to do her share. When her sister Mary married Isaac Brockbank, they went to Big Cottonwood (now Hyland Drive) to make their home. Margaret was only seven years of age, but she went to the home of her sister for company as the husband was away from home part of the time and they lived in a very lonely place some distance from neighbors. She stayed there for several months at a time. She amused herself by riding horseback and sleigh-riding in the nearby hills. She was always interested in watching the Ox teams haul the huge granite blocks to build the Temple. Many times she walked a distance of over two miles to State Street to visit at her cousin's home. She also attended school some while living there. She went to Mrs. Oakley's school in Provo, also the Dusenbury Brothers school in the Lewis Hall building which later became the Brigham Young Academy. Margaret was in the first classes taught by Karl G. Maeser. The young people at that time had to make their own amusements. Most of the homes had bare floors and groups would get together for dances in the different homes if they could get someone to play the fiddle or accordion and someone to call for the square dances. There was little round dancing at that time. When the fruit season was on, they worked as well as played. Peaches and apples were gathered by the bushels. Some of the boys and girls peeled, quartered and cored the apples while others cut the peaches and removed the stone. Then the fruit was taken to the roof, or better still if they had scaffolds, it was spread out to dry. After the fruit was thoroughly dry, it was stored away for winter use or sold to the stores in exchange for merchandise. These affairs mere called Cutting B’s. Ground cherries were gathered in the fields When they were ripe, then shelled, scalded and dried the same as the fruit. Many of the young people earned a little pocket money in this way. Margaret met John Whitmer Hoover Jr., son of John Whitmer Sr. and Mary Elizabeth Coursey Hoover. He was born at Springville, December 2, 1857 while his father had charge of the Houtz Grist Fill, one of the first in Utah County. Their courtship developed into marriage. Before going through the endowment, it was necessary for John to be rebaptized. Although it was the coldest month in the year, John was brave enough to break the ice on the mill race and was baptized in the cold water. They traveled to Salt Lake by team in a covered wagon to protect then for the cold. After a tiresome journey, they arrived at their destination and were married in the Endowment House Jan. 8, 1880. The trip took several days going and coning. On their return, they went to live at Margaret's old home. Their home furnishings were very crude and not many of them. Both of them having Pioneer parents, they inherited the true Pioneer spirit and were willing to works and in the end achieve the things they lacked at that time. After three months’ time, they moved to a house on the corner of 4th West and 3rd North (later the property of David Stagg). Their first child, John Whitmer II was born there. They next moved into a one-room log house on the site of her present hone. Later other rooms were added. as the family increased. As each child cane into the hone, the mother had to work harder and do more planning. She made all the clothing the children more besides the house work and making soap, Churning, washing, ironing, baking, sewing rags together for carpets for some of the floors and quilts for all the beds, and many other things necessary with rearing a large family. Although they worked very hard, they made time for recreation too. Sister Hoover says, "I think it is doubtful if there are many living now, if any, that remember the good times the Sons and Daughters of the 1847 Pioneers had in John Coltrin's time. He did a lot to wake up the sons and daughters. We had many socials and parties. On one occasion, we took a picnic to Pleasant Grove, and we had many fine social gatherings." When the children were young, the family moved to a farm in the river bottoms near the mouth of Provo Canyon* John decided he would like to be a farmer and intended buying this farm. After being there six months, Bishop Myron Tanner asked John if he would take over the management of his mill. He was no doubt very familiar with the workings of this mill as his father had charge of it when John was a boy. He accepted the proposition and hired Parley Hind-marsh to help him. Margaret was very happy for now she could move back again to her home. Although it was a humble one, it looked good to her. When John left the Tanner Mill, he went to work at the Houtz Mill in Springville. He again was following in his father's footsteps, and also the place of his birth. He did not move his family there but drove back and forth in a buggy accompanied each day by his young son John. After his father purchased the Beebe Mill on 5th North. John went into partnership in the milling business with his father but his heart was still set on owning a farm. This business grew and was greatly appreciated by the farmers and people in general, as they took their wheat to the mill and in return received flour. Some years later, the father retired and his sons took over the business which was called the Excelsior While working as Miller, John purchased two ranches. The first one was above the Deer Creek Dam which was used for farming and dairying. The second ranch was about two miles below the dam. During the summer, Margaret spent her summer on these ranches with the children. She cooked and helped supervise the work as her husband was still working at the mill. The eldest son, John, bought the upper ranch where he carrier on the same as his father building up a very fine herd of dairy cows. Then the Deer Creek Dam was built, John Jr. was forced to sell his land. Which in now covered with water. Three of the other boys purchased the lower ranch, Albert, Ferris, and Glen have nice hones amid the beautiful surrounding country of the most beautiful scenery. It is truly a beauty spot of Provo Canyon. Margaret Hoovers has passed through many hours of anguish and suffering, though sickness, accidents, and death. On the 1st of July in 1879, her youngest brother, Albert Park, age about 16 years, was on the Public Square (now Pioneer Park) practicing to put on a sham battle between the Americans and the British to represent the historical event of the revolution for the amusement of the people on the One Hundred and Third Anniversary. Young Park was one of the Cavalrymen and the company had just made a charge on the enemy and retreating in confusion. A companion who was a short distance ahead pointed his pistol behind at the infantry and fired a wad of tissue paper from the pistol which struck Albert in the left breast between the second and third ribs and lodged under the shoulder blade The wad was extracted, but the patient after three days of intense suffering died from the effects of the wound. The whole City mourned and withheld their July 4th common to Independence Day to pay its last respects to one of its citizens. The procession of forty-four vehicles, led by the brass band, followed the remains to the cemetery. This was a great grief to Margaret as she loved him dearly. Twins were born to her Two beautiful boys. They were given the names of William Ralph and Joseph Roy. She watched them with pride grow to young manhood. When Roy was 18 years of age, he was stricken with a deadly disease which the doctors pronounced 'Meningitis". He seemed perfectly normal and well until noon when he was suddenly stricken and was unconscious in a very short time. Everything possible was done to relieve his suffering and the mother stood by helpless to render any assistance. Death was the only relief. On three different occasions, Diphtheria in the most Malignant form came to the home, and it was only through the power of faith and the Priesthood that the children were healed. The last great trial lasted for two years. Her husband was ailing and the doctors said it was a cancer in his mouth. Every skill and care was given him. Again Margaret had to stand by and see her loved companion suffer and was unable to stay the ravages of this dread disease. He died September 13, 1922. Some years before his passing, in 1892, this couple's cherished dream came true. After a lot of hard work and planning and saving, they were able to move into a beautiful modern home, and now in her 85th year, she still resides there. Her son, Jean, has remodeled this home and made it into apartments. She has a very lovely little apartment and he lives in the other. It is a very nice arrangement so that she is not alone. She is still a marvel to all the way she is able to do her house work, even her own laundering. She has been through many trials but has born them all with courage and fortitude. She has been a devoted wife, a kind and loving mother and in her declining years she takes joy and comfort in her fine family of children and grandchildren. She has been a true daughter of her Pioneer parents. Her brothers and sisters have also helped to build up this community and make Provo the Garden City it is. Her sister Mary Brockbank died in August, 1941 being 98 years of age and the last survivor of the Pioneers of 1847. Her brother John S. Park, of Provo Bench, lived to be 90 years. In fact, most of the Park family lived past the allotted age of man. Margaret Hoover has been a good neighbor and friend to those in need. She has been a real homemaker. Her home has always been neat. Not only has she made the inside attractive, but the surroundings and her flowers have been very outstanding, especially her beds of peonies in great masses of hundreds of blooms of different colors. And at this time, she is still interested in her flower garden although she isn't able to do as much as she would like. She is a beautiful woman with her White hair and brown eyes. No one would ever think she is nearing her 86th birthday. Her religion is very dear to her and she values her testimony She a very sacred treasure. She was a relief Society Teacher for over thirty years. She did not stop until her health failed her. She is the mother of ten children, nine of the living. They are as follows: John Whiter Hoover III Married 1st Lorena Brown 2nd Kate Duke Albert Andrew " Hazel Carter Margaret Floss " Don R Davis William Ralph " Velma Bright Joseph Roy died Feb24 1907 Ferris Webster Lillian Taylor Glen Park Alice Cook Jean Arvill Thelma Baker Reed Park Alice Cowan Mary Louise Claud C. Cardell 34 grandchildren and 13 Great-grandchildren written by Maria D Taylor

Life timeline of William Ralph Hoover

William Ralph Hoover was born on 5 Jul 1890
William Ralph Hoover was 13 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
See More
William Ralph Hoover was 22 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
See More
William Ralph Hoover was 39 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
See More
William Ralph Hoover was 40 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
See More
William Ralph Hoover was 50 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
See More
William Ralph Hoover was 63 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
See More
William Ralph Hoover died on 7 Jun 1963 at the age of 72
Grave record for William Ralph Hoover (5 Jul 1890 - 7 Jun 1963), BillionGraves Record 26344 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States