William Morris Dale

10 Jan 1925 - 9 Feb 2007


William Morris Dale

10 Jan 1925 - 9 Feb 2007
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of William Morris Dale (10 Jan 1925 - 9 Feb 2007) at Larkin Sunset Gardens in Sandy, Salt Lake, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of William Morris Dale
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

William Morris Dale


Larkin Sunset Gardens

1702 E 10600 S
Sandy, Salt Lake, Utah
United States

Headstone Description



July 24, 2013


May 21, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about William Morris...

We found more records about William Morris Dale.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of William Morris


William Morris Dale is buried in the Larkin Sunset Gardens at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Contributor: JENKINS-CANADA Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/print/1112730/Obituary-William-Morris-Dale.html William Morris Dale January 10, 1925 ~ February 09, 2007 Our beloved husband, father, grandpa and friend passed away at his home on Friday, February 9, 2007 after a long life of service to his family, church, country and community. Born January 10, 1925 in Salt Lake City to William and Mary Morris Dale. He was welcomed by two sisters, Helen (Torgerson Strong) and Elizabeth (Plowgian) and the family would later be joined by his brother, James Roger Dale (Betty). Dad married his sweetheart and eternal companion, Lynnette Barrus in the Salt Lake Temple and always considered her the crowning blessing of his life. Father to five children: Mary Lynn (Jim) Mickelson of Big Piney, WY., Nita Ann (Scott) Milner of Lindon, UT, W. Paul (Suzette) Dale of Gilbert, AZ, Karyl Bee (Tom) Vett, formerly of Dallas, TX, and Amy Jo (Peter) Schulz of Salt Lake City, UT. Grandfather to fourteen grandchildren and seventeen great-grandchildren. Preceded in death by his parents, sisters, and daughters Karyl and Nita. Dad watched as World War II developed, and served in the U.S. Navy from 1943 to 1946. He was a student of the war and believer in the cause of freedom for all people. His mission to New Zealand (1947 to 1949) resulted in a great love for the Maori people and blessed him with many special friends. He received a Master’s Degree in social work from the University of Utah. Dad’s 34-year career with the 2nd District Juvenile Court began as a probation officer in 1953. He later served as Director of Probation, Director of Court Services, and Assistant Administrator of the Utah Juvenile Court. A devoted, faithful member of the LDS Church, Dad enjoyed serving in many Church callings throughout the years. Fulfilling a lifelong dream, he and Mom left in 1988 for the Singapore Mission, which included Malaysia and India. They also served in the Salt Lake Inner-City, Self Reliance Mission. Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at the Imperial 2nd Ward, 2738 S. Filmore St.(1535 E), Salt Lake City. Friends may call on Monday, February 12, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Larkin Mortuary, 260 E. S. Temple, and Tuesday at the Ward from 9:30 to 10:45 a.m. Interment Larkin Sunset Gardens.


Contributor: JENKINS-CANADA Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

"The war came home quickly. I turned 18 on January 10, 1943 (a little more than a year after Pearl Harbor). As required by law, I registered for the draft the day after my birthday because the 10th was a Sunday, and within a couple of weeks received notice to report for my first physical and was classified 1-A. By March I had orders to report for induction. I remember being one of a hundred or so men in a very large room. We were ordered to remove our clothing and moved from one area to another. In the afternoon (still in my birthday suit), I stood before a table with a couple of men seated across from me. One spoke, congratulating me for passing all physicals and saying I could choose the Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard. I had understood that when drafted, all men went into the Army. I quickly indicated “the Navy” and, with three or four others, was taken to the Navy Recruiting Office. There we went through the whole physical process again, were sworn in and had a date in two weeks to depart for Navy Boot Camp at Farragut, Idaho, one of several Navy training centers for recruits at the time. The two weeks preceding my going to boot camp were rather exciting. In those years 'all young men were in service.' There were so few young men around that those who were received less than a friendly treatment. All young men wanted to go! In Burton Ward nearly every man under 40, married and single, had gone or was in process. Eventually Burton Ward had over 200 men in military service . . . six being killed in action. In spite of “wanting to go,” it was hard leaving home and I had to deal with homesickness for a time." Source: Dale, William M. William M. Dale - A Personal History, p.144.

Graduate School of Social Work

Contributor: JENKINS-CANADA Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

"University for the most part was a very satisfying experience. Once I established the direction of my studies, college became much more meaningful to me. In graduate school I did well, following what seems to be a pattern . . . keeping at least the B grades necessary to remain in graduate school and ending up with all A’s. I was awarded a small scholarship in my second year of graduate school. I enjoyed graduate school, writing a thesis (completing it early) and having an internship in an agency. Writing a thesis was a pleasant experience. We had been informed it must be written, bound and presented before we could meet with a committee for orals, before graduation. I completed my thesis in March, while unknown to me many in the class had barely started. Near the end of the year, some of the professors announced special assignments and exams. Members of the class, struggling to complete their thesis, protested and each professor withdrew his or her assignments. Mine being done, I had little to do the last few weeks. "During my second year of graduate school, I was assigned to the Juvenile Court for “field work” (internship) placement because I had stated a preference for “corrections in social work.” I immediately had a good feeling at the court and enjoyed the placement for eight months. I became good friends with the staff and with Judge Rulon W. Clark who had been judge since 1926 (the year after I was born). He was a New Zealand missionary many years before I was, but that gave us a common bond upon which future relationships were established. As I neared the end of my second year of graduate school, I was informed that my GI Bill of Rights funding would expire a month before graduation. I met with the administrator of the GI Bill at the U and at his suggestion, manipulated my benefits to considerable advantage. I was short by one month, so it was determined I should “buy back” one month previously used and thus regain the month to carry me through to graduation. The month I purchased was from before marriage and cost $75 as that is what I received as a single student. The month I gained, my last month, paid $125 (married student allowance), paid my graduating costs (including rental of robe, etc.) and paid for copies and binding my thesis, including paying Lynnette for typing my thesis at $1 per page and $5 per graph. My thesis was 101 pages and had quite a few graphs, so we felt we had done quite well after the initial fear of the funds expiring. "Having started at the U in September 1942, with interruptions of three years in the Navy, more than two years on a mission, and graduating in June 1953, I was a university student for eleven years. By the time I had finished I have to confess I was very tired of the never ending pressure and anxiety. This led to some satisfaction as I re-read my Patriarchal Blessing in which I was admonished to “persevere for an education.” I believe I met that challenge." Source: Dale, William M. William M. Dale - A Personal History, pp.139-140.

Hui at Taupo

Contributor: JENKINS-CANADA Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Eric’s [Tahau, "wonderful friend, counselor and missionary companion"] brother, a soldier in the Maori Battalion, was killed in action in Africa in World War II. He was awarded a high honor medal by the British Crown and a memorial was erected in Taupo for him, which in typical Maori fashion became a big Maori hui. All the members and missionaries were invited. Some elders rode on top of a load on Eric’s truck, the load covered by a large tarp. Before we arrived at Taupo the elders complained of a bad odor. We learned the source when we unloaded the truck, it was crates of dead chickens for the hui. The elders were put to work plucking and cleaning the chickens. The plucked birds were blue, smelled bad and we all vowed we would eat no chicken at this hui. At this time, Elder Robert Parson became sick and was taken to a member’s home and put to bed. The good sister, “Annie,” decided she would help Elder Parson get better so she made him some chicken soup. After feeding him she came to the rest of us and announced what she did, and then added, “and I’ve made enough for all of you, haere mai ki te kai.” We ate reluctantly! "On the first afternoon at Taupo, Eric took a few of us to a small lake south of Lake Taupo to get fish for the hui. The fish had been caught that morning and were in gunny sacks. They were huge trout, none of them under twenty inches. Then at another part of the small lake we observed many children standing in shallow water filling bushel baskets with small, fresh water crayfish (about the size of a man’s hand). As we watched, some of the children would hold up a crayfish and proceed to eat it alive, carefully getting a flailing claw or leg in their teeth and biting it off. We took at least four bushel baskets of these crayfish back to the house where we were staying, leaving the baskets on the floor a short distance from where we slept. During the night most of the crayfish crawled out of the baskets and were all over the house. We found them everywhere, in our shoes and in the beds. It made for a memorable hui." Source: Dale, William M. William M. Dale - A Personal History, pp. 201, 205-206.

Madras, India

Contributor: JENKINS-CANADA Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

"In Madras we learned how to survive in India, including knowing what stores sold western foods and how to get to to them by auto-rickshaw, even though across town. The best of these was Nilgiris with stores in most large cities. There, we could buy Tang, Cadbury chocolate and candy bars, Horlicks malt powder, Carnation powdered milk and Vick’s Vaporub but few other known brand products. These familiar brands were continued from the time of British rule and the companies had established local production plants. We could get dry cereal (corn or wheat flakes), bread, bottled jams, very good butter (made from water buffalo cream), flour (we learned to ask for maida), and most other staples. We were amused on several occasions to witness the differences in merchandising practices. One day in Nilgiris a plastic bag had broken, spilling about two pounds of corn meal on the floor. A young woman swept and gathered the grain, picking up little pinches of it and putting it in a new bag. After picking it up, she stapled it closed and put the bag back on the shelf with others. We learned quickly that food is not wasted in India. Another store, Spencers, carried a very good jam and jelly product in jars. We kept a good supply in our apartment. After a short time, there was none of our favorite flavors at the store, though there was a fair supply of one or two flavors we had tried and did not like. After a couple of weeks of not being able to buy the jam of our preference we asked a manager when he would have more of the preferred flavors. He matter-of-factly informed us that he would get the preferred flavors only after the unpopular ones were sold. "As for produce, we really had it good! There were hawkers with carts all over the streets and vendors sitting on the streets selling their fruits and vegetables. India has some of the most delicious fruits, which we bought for a few rupees: bananas, pineapple, papaya, mango, apples, oranges, etc. In Madras we walked a mile down Usman Road to Panagal Market (wetshops as they call them) where we bought beautiful fruits and vegetables. The walk itself was a major part of the task as it is one constant mass of moving humanity in both directions, bumping and crowding us all the way. We usually bought a lot of produce making it a heavy burden to carry home the same way. When we entered Panagal Market the vendors in their booths would see Lynnette’s blond hair and cry out, “Madame! Madame!” while holding up anything they could quickly grab. It was fun being such popular customers. In Madras I had to pump two buckets of water early each morning and carry them upstairs. We would boil the water for 40 minutes and pour the boiled water into a filtering can. After going through the filter we drew water from a spigot in the lower can into bottles which we stored in the fridge. We always had pure, cold water to drink, but it required constant attention. Because of erroneous info at the MTC, I thought neighbors were stealing our water when I heard hand pumps outside about 4 a.m. That was frightening, but I always got my two buckets full and later one of the servants (Subhea) filled our buckets because of my bad back. When members came to our place they would often ask for a drink of water. Most of them think cold water is not healthy, so we learned to ask if they wanted cold or “regular,” meaning not cold. We bought a lot of soft drinks and kept a good supply of Limca (like 7-Up) and orange drink in the fridge. We were somewhat amused to find a drink called, “Campa Cola” written in the same trademark script as our Coca-Cola. Coca-Cola had once been processed and marketed in India, but was expelled for refusing to give their recipe to the Indian government. "We had a small, circular electric oven which Lynnette used to bake delicious bread, cookies and brownies. Each batch was baked with the question in mind, “When will the power go out?” All in all, we had it pretty good! During my mission in New Zealand I never had a companion who was as good to me as the one I had in Singapore Mission . . . and there were no changes of companions for missionary couples. We had a pretty young girl, Mari, come each afternoon and scrub our floors. Wearing a sari, she bent over from the hips and mopped the whole floor with a disinfectant scrub water and a rag. For her six days a week (she would have included Sundays but we would not let her), we paid her 100 rupees a month – $5.88 (about 29¢ per day). Each day after doing the floors, we gave her a bottle of cold soda pop which she sat down on the floor to drink. On a few occasions she brought a friend to help her, so it cost two bottles of pop. I felt guilty for not paying her more, but our Relief Society president complained we were paying her too much. "After we had been in Madras a couple of weeks a man came to our door and we had a difficult time understanding him, except that he wanted money. In a discussion with Elder Solomon he told us the man is known as a “very brave man” and we lived in his area which he patrolled at night, a night watchman as it were (self-appointed). That explained the noise we heard regularly at night as he walked by striking his lathe (billy club) on fences and gates. We paid him a few rupees each month. Source: Dale, William M. William M. Dale - A Personal History, pp. 327-329.

The Taj Mahal

Contributor: JENKINS-CANADA Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

"Missionary couples in India were there on tourist visas. We were told to do some “tourist type” activities because, when asking for a visa extension, we needed to respond to inquiries about our tourist experiences. We were required to leave India the end of December, so we asked the president and received permission to go to New Delhi and from there to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. It was a good opportunity for us to go while the Tretheways were in Madras. On Tuesday, November 29, 1988, we flew to New Delhi and took a taxi to the apartment of the missionary couple (Howard and June Jessop of North Ogden, Utah). They were very kind to us and took us to see the Old Red Fort and the monument to Mohandus K. Ghandi on the site where he was cremated. "The Red Fort, built in the 1500s, was immense and most interesting. Much of the fort was the residence of the maharajah and his harem of wives. On Wednesday, November 30th, we took a 6 a.m. bus to Agra, seeing a different part of India and camels everywhere. It was hard to believe we were at and inside the famous Taj Mahal, probably the most beautiful and most costly tomb in the world. It was built by the ruler Shah Jahan in memory of his favorite wife, Mumtaz-i-Mahal, from which it gets its name. It is one of the seven man made wonders of the world and we felt greatly blessed to be able to be there. The gleaming white marble building with inlaid precious stones is quite a contrast with its surroundings. Agra is old and dirty, and the Yamuna River, which flows next to the Taj, is little more than a cesspool. From the Taj Mahal our tour included a visit to the “Old Fort” that was built in the 1500s. It is huge! It was late when we left Agra to return to New Delhi. As darkness settled about us, the bus driver uncovered a puja (altar of worship) up over his windshield revealing small statues of Hindu gods where offerings and prayers could be made with a plea for our safe journey. We arrived back in Madras on Thursday, December 1st." Source: Dale, William M. William M. Dale - A Personal History, pp. 339-340.

Not An Easy Decision

Contributor: JENKINS-CANADA Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I arrived home from the Navy in May 1946; I was 21. During that summer, Mother and Dad made several comments that the bishop had mentioned to them he was planning on my going on a mission. I had always planned on serving a mission, but I have to admit that after three years in the Navy I was not overly enthused with the idea of going away for two years. Some of my friends in the ward had chosen to not go on missions, but to marry after being in military service. Perhaps having my first serious "like" for a girl who liked me was the major deterrent. At this time I heard my brother-in-law Ken, say to mother, "If the Church could not depend on Bill to serve a mission, who could they? I decided I had to go.

Elijah knocking on the door

Contributor: JENKINS-CANADA Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

"I want to share a bit of genealogy with you. For many years we have been up against a "brick wall" in the Dale family research. My father's father was Hyrum Dale, his father: James Gilbert Dale, his father John Dale. We have had no information about him, seemingly the end of the line. Three weeks ago our mail carrier, Kent Olsen (who lives in our ward) came to the door with a letter from England addressed to mother (Little Grandma) when she lived on Atkin Avenue. He asked if he should send it back, or if I wanted it. I took it. It was from a man in Lincolnshire, England where my father's ancestors were. His great grandmother was a sister to my grandfather, Hyrum Dale. The man, not LDS, was doing research and found that my mother had submitted the family information available in the LDS Family Search program. He wanted to know if she had additional information. I have been communicating with him by email and a couple of packets exchanged with pictures. I now have full information on John Dale and his wife (whose name we did not have), the names and all information of her parents (both unknown) ancestors. I have also received additional information about several people on the pedigree chart. Several questions have been answered, including why the Dales had left so little historical information -- they couldn't write. Documents are signed with an X. We are continuing communication and hope to discover additional info. Love you, Dad (Grandpa)"

Life timeline of William Morris Dale

William Morris Dale was born on 10 Jan 1925
William Morris Dale was 15 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
William Morris Dale was 20 years old when World War II: German forces in the west agree to an unconditional surrender. The German Instrument of Surrender ended World War II in Europe. The definitive text was signed in Karlshorst, Berlin, on the night of 8 May 1945 by representatives of the three armed services of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW) and the Allied Expeditionary Force together with the Supreme High Command of the Red Army, with further French and US representatives signing as witnesses. The signing took place 9 May 1945 at 00:16 local time.
William Morris Dale was 28 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
William Morris Dale was 40 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
William Morris Dale was 52 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
William Morris Dale was 61 years old when Space Shuttle program: STS-51-L mission: Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrates after liftoff, killing all seven astronauts on board. The Space Shuttle program was the fourth human spaceflight program carried out by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), which accomplished routine transportation for Earth-to-orbit crew and cargo from 1981 to 2011. Its official name, Space Transportation System (STS), was taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development.
William Morris Dale was 67 years old when The World Wide Web is opened to the public. The World Wide Web (WWW), also called the Web, is an information space where documents and other web resources are identified by Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), interlinked by hypertext links, and accessible via the Internet. English scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web in 1989. He wrote the first web browser in 1990 while employed at CERN in Switzerland. The browser was released outside CERN in 1991, first to other research institutions starting in January 1991 and to the general public on the Internet in August 1991.
William Morris Dale died on 9 Feb 2007 at the age of 82
Grave record for William Morris Dale (10 Jan 1925 - 9 Feb 2007), BillionGraves Record 4541261 Sandy, Salt Lake, Utah, United States