William Lewis

3 Sep 1878 - 2 Aug 1939

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

William Lewis

3 Sep 1878 - 2 Aug 1939
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

by Ruth Brown Lewis William Lewis was born Sep. 3, 1878 in Benchcreek, Utah. His father’s family were from wales, and his mothers were from Pennsylvania and Germany. He did not have a chance to get much schooling. His grandfather’s family built a one-room schoolhouse, and most of the students we

Life Information

William Lewis


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


June 27, 2011


April 12, 2020


April 5, 2020

Aunty Bec

April 5, 2020


April 3, 2020


April 3, 2020


June 23, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of William


William Lewis is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Contributor: crex Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

by Ruth Brown Lewis William Lewis was born Sep. 3, 1878 in Benchcreek, Utah. His father’s family were from wales, and his mothers were from Pennsylvania and Germany. He did not have a chance to get much schooling. His grandfather’s family built a one-room schoolhouse, and most of the students were his cousins. He said he went three years in the winter and finished the third grade. Money was very scarce and each child had to help make their own way. He chopped fire wood to earn his education. School was a few months in the winter when there wasn't much work to do, and it was cold. He would have chopped a lot of wood. He started herding sheep on the hills above their little home until he was old enough to go to the west desert. His wages never stopped until he was married. He took a dictionary and taught himself to read and write in those lonely hours in the desert at night, so he could write letters home. The herders lived in sheep wagons, which could be moved with horses or mules. Sheep needed new places to feed. The sheep wagons had a double bed, a wood burning stove with an oven, a table, and a small cupboard Their food was very limited. They baked their own sour dough bread. They killed a mutton as was needed for camp meat. They bought cheese and eggs. There were usually two men to herd the sheep. They had horses. Their job was to keep the herd together and protect them from mountain lions, bears, coyotes, and wolves. At night they would get the sheep settled and then the herders could go to bad. (They didn't have electric lights. radio or television.) They would not have much light. The men shared a bed as there was only one bed. One time Bill said that one herder had such bad breath he couldn’t tell which end was on the pillow. Even with their herding they sometimes found some dead sheep in the morning. It was a very lonely life. especially in the winter. There were three busy times with the sheep. The buck pens were opened in the late fall so that in the spring, after about six months. it was lambing time. The reason they were in the desert was because there was very little snow, so the sheep could get to grass (and what ever they eat) In the spring it was time to have the sheep sheared. The sheep needed to be rid of the heavy wool they had grown to keep them warm through the winter. Shearers were brought in to shear, the hundreds or thousands of sheep. The wool, especially in those days, was a good part of the income from raising sheep. After shearing the sheep and delivering the lambs it was time to take them to the mountains where spring brought new growth and there was plenty of feed for the sheep. In later days when Bill had a car he often put lambs in the back seat of the car if the mothers died, and the lambs must either be given to another ewe or be fed with a bottle. You might wonder how he could take them in the car, but Bill said the sheep paid for the car so why shouldn’t they ride? In the summer the sheep were taken high in the mountains where the food was good. As soon as Bill's boys were old enough they were taken to herd the sheep. They were taken out of school a little early for lambing and herding. In the fall they were brought to school a little late to help get the sheep to the market Bill said his kids were smarter than other kids so it wouldn’t hurt them. When Bill married his sweetheart Pleasant (Pleasy) Maud White, they both dreaded the separation they would have to face so they decided to go to Millard County, Utah. and try another way to make a living Bill couldn’t get work so he ended up in the mines, but after all the living out doors with sheep he was very unhappy with being shut up in the mines so together they made the decision to go back to Uintah Basin to the work he knew. Bill was able to get work with David Smith. They became friends, almost like family and Bill worked for him for nineteen years. He took part of his wages in land and sheep. He also homesteaded some land in Sand Creek, Duchesne County In this way he became successful. Bill even tried the cattle business and had his cattle up around the Grand Daddy lakes. (My husband. Ray, remembers being up around the lakes one summer and he loved it). He ran out of feed for them and his old friend David Smith let him have some until he could get the cattle sold. He decided the sheep were best for him. The most difficult time for Bill was in the winter when he wanted and needed to get home. In 1905 they went over Wolf Creek on horses and used pack horses. Later there was a very narrow road over Wolf Creek Pass. As he was going down some of the steep roads the children would run ahead to stop any wagons to come up, as there was no room to pass some times in the early spring or late fall When there was light snow Bill would go over the mountain in snow shoes The road was closed in the winter and the only way to get home was going around by Price. That was a long way with a wagon and horses. It was a hard life, but at the end of Bill's life he said if he could go any place in the world he would go back to Uintah Basin. In the spring of 1920 he went in business with Joe Peterson Each one had enough sheep to go on the desert about 4,700. For the summer they leased the land in Red Creek from the Indians. About 1925 Bill and his two sons Elvin and Cliff, bought Joe Peterson out. They trailed their sheep out on the West Desert south of Myton. The summer range was Tabby Mountain (6 000) acres. They bought the Crandall ranch (the land where Elvin and Angie live.) In the fall it was time to separate the lambs and take them to Kansas City to be sold. They had to be herded into Heber City to the stock yards put on the train in box cars. Bill always went with them, and sometimes he took some of the boys. On at least one occasion he took Pleasy. They all enjoyed the trip, and it was always hoped the market would be up so they would get a good price for the lambs. Then it was time again to take the ewes to the desert. Then two herders were with the sheep in the winter range. During the depression Bill was able to hold on to the sheep and land he owned. He was a successful business man. He gave his family a good home to live in plenty of food, and all the things they needed. Although he was out with the sheep a great deal of the time he was active in church and did what he could He was a High Priest and loved his family, especially his very special wife, and he had a firm testimony of the Gospel.


Contributor: crex Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

by Ruth Brown Lewis When Pleasy passed away December 25, 1932 it was so hard for William. She was his sweetheart. She had born him twelve children, and the care of them had fallen so much on her. He had worked hard to give her fine homes money to feed clothe, and house a large family. Now he was alone, with three children unmarried. It was so hard to be alone He married Grace Wilcken in 1935 I married their son Ray in 1933 I never knew his mother Pleasy, but Ray has talked so much about her, and from the history she wrote I know the kind of woman she was. I am very proud of the heritage our nine children have from William and Pleasy Lewis. I met William the night before we were married, but didn’t see him again until we moved from Arizona in 1935. William had sold their home in Provo, and he and Grace moved to her little home in Tabiona He and Elvin were taking care of the sheep. All the other boys decided the sheep business was not for them and they got other jobs where they could be with their wives and families. For three different winters William rented apartments near where we lived, and we enjoyed having them close. By then we had two children, Rose Maurine and Wendell. They enjoyed going to Grandpa's house. William must have liked oranges because he used to have a bowl of them. Wendell would look at them and say: "I haven't had an orange for a long time, have I?" So Grandpa always had one ready for him. While they were living in Salt Lake, Marcellas decided he wanted to go on a mission. It was quite unusual, even in those days, but he was afraid Bliss wouldn’t be there if he didn't marry before he left, so they decided to have a wedding before he left. Right after he left Bliss found out she was going to have a baby while he was gone. So William sent Marcellas money for his mission, and when Bliss had her baby he also sent her money. I have great respect, admiration and love for my father in law. He worked hard all his life, and raised a good family and set a great example for them. He used to talk to me and I found out he was a great man. He was having problems and came to see my father, who was a doctor in 1936. Dad took him to a specialist July 19, 1938 and called Ray in and told him that his father had cancer and there was nothing in those days they could do for him. They never did tell William what his problem was. He went Uintah Basin until winter, and he came back again for the winter Dee was the only one home and he usually came with them. William (Bi11) didn’t go out for lambing the next spring as he was not well enough. He told me he had never seen spring in the spring for years as that was when he was busy with lambing and their shearing the sheep. When we took him up the canyon on a picnic he said: “I’ve been on a picnic a11 my life and didn’t even know it.” He stayed out in Uintah Basin for a little while in 1939 than came back in June to see my father. He was rea11y suffering Dad was very sympathetic, but couldn't really help him. We moved him to one of our apartments upstairs. The only thing that could be done for him was to ease his pain which Dad did Dad would come, and give him a shot of morphine every morning. When Dad came the last morning he looked at my father and said: "You'll get your reward in Heaven." He passed away August 2 1939. He was oniy sixty one years old. At his funeral it was very fitting that they had someone sing, "Home on the Range". He passed away and went to his beloved P1easy.

Life timeline of William Lewis

William Lewis was born on 3 Sep 1878
William Lewis was 5 years old when Eruption of Krakatoa: Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa in the Dutch East Indies began in the afternoon of Sunday, 26 August 1883, and peaked in the late morning of Monday, 27 August when over 70% of the island and its surrounding archipelago were destroyed as it collapsed into a caldera. Additional seismic activity was reported to have continued until February 1884, though reports of seismic activity after October 1883 were later dismissed by Rogier Verbeek's investigation into the eruption. The 1883 eruption was one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events in recorded history. At least 36,417 deaths are attributed to the eruption and the tsunamis it created. Significant additional effects were also felt around the world in the days and weeks after the volcano's eruption.
William Lewis was 15 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
William Lewis was 27 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
William Lewis was 39 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
William Lewis was 42 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
William Lewis died on 2 Aug 1939 at the age of 60
Grave record for William Lewis (3 Sep 1878 - 2 Aug 1939), BillionGraves Record 27287 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States