William Ingman Jacobson

6 Apr 1829 - 8 May 1872

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

William Ingman Jacobson

6 Apr 1829 - 8 May 1872
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

OUR HERITAGE Ingman Wilhelm and Catharina Jacobina Jacobson Family Our Heritage begins on the island of Gotland, Sweden located in the Baltic sea south of Stockholm, Sweden and north of Poland. Hakan Jonsson came to Gotland in 1660 from mainland Sweden and he bought Rangsarve (large farm) in 1694. H

Life Information

William Ingman Jacobson


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


June 8, 2011


April 7, 2020


April 4, 2020


June 7, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of William Ingman


William Ingman Jacobson is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Ingman Wilhelm and Catharina Jacobina Jacobson

Contributor: dbknox Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

OUR HERITAGE Ingman Wilhelm and Catharina Jacobina Jacobson Family Our Heritage begins on the island of Gotland, Sweden located in the Baltic sea south of Stockholm, Sweden and north of Poland. Hakan Jonsson came to Gotland in 1660 from mainland Sweden and he bought Rangsarve (large farm) in 1694. His wife’s name was not available. They had a son Bengt Hakansson born 1667 at Amlings, Linde, Gotland, Sweden. He married Magdalena Jacobsdotter born 1673 at Norrgarda, Hamra. Bengt Hakansson was given Rangsarve by his parents in 1695. He later also owned Havor and Ringome (large farms). Bengt and Magdalena had four sons and they gave each of them a farm. Hakan was given Rangsarve, Jakob and Marten divided Havor and Nils was given Ringome. Bengt and Magdalena’s son Hakan Bengtsson was born in 1698 at Rangsarve. He married Margareta Pedersdotter born at Vennes in Sundre. They had a daughter Magdalena Hankansdotter born 1724 at Rangsarve. She married Lars Olofsson who was born in 1715 at Mulde, Frojel. Rangsarve was given to him as dowry by his father-in-law. Lars and Magdalena had a daughter Magdalena Larsdotter born in 1765 at Rangsarve. She married Olaf Olafsson born in 1755 at Bottarve, Oja. Rangsarve was given to him as dowry by his father-in-law. They had a daughter Ingrid Christina Olafsdotter (Olsson) born in 1787 at Rangsarve. She married Jacob Persson who was born in 1788 at Alveskogs, Eke. Rangsarve was given to him as dowry by his father-in-law. Jacob and Ingrid Persson had four children. 1. Olof Petter born in 1817, Farmer at Rangsarve; 2. Jakob born in 1819, Farmer at La Allmungs, Havdhei; 3. Greta Stina born in 1825 and married to Garda; and 4. Ingman Wilhelm Jacobson born 6 April 1829 at Alfa, Gotland, Sweden. He was a farmer at Myrungs (large farm) located almost in the middle of the island of Gotland, near a small village called Linde. Ingman Wilhelm was given Myrungs in 1850. He married Catharina Jacobina Lorentina Jacobsdotter 15 July 1852 who was born 11 November 1833. Her parents were Hans Johannes Jacobsson born 21 April 1802 at Gotland, Sweden and Dorothea Elizabeth Hanson born 1 January 1795 at Gotland, Sweden. Ingman and Catharina had eight children: (1) Jacob Johannes Ingman born 12 February 1853; (2) Antone Reinhold Peter born 11 June 1856; (3) Augusta Wilhelmina born 13 August 1858; (4) William Lars born 13 December 1860; (5) Matthew born December 1862; (6) Mary born 22 February 1865; (7) Emil born October 1867; and were born in Linde, Gotland, Sweden. Those children that were old enough attended district and later Baptist schools in Sweden. Ingman Wilhelm Jacobson’s farm consisted of land he farmed, timber land where he operated a saw mill, a wind grist mill, meadows dotted with white birch trees, a fish pond, large L shaped barn and a long two story home. The vast Jacobson holdings in Gotland, Sweden have been verified by James McMurrin (Mary Jacobson’s husband), by Emil Jacobson (Augusta Wilhelmina’s family), Ray and Pat Jacobson (Ephraim’s family) when they visited the Jacobson estate in 1980 and by Marlo Menlove, Vera Stringham and Helen McCollough (grandson, daughter and granddaughter of Jacob I Jacobson). Ola Sward Peterson, daughter of Augusta Jacobson Sward, gives her Mother’s description of the Jacobson estate in Sweden as being comparable to the vast holdings of European feudal lords. The place was practically self-sustaining with a natural tar pit, lime deposit, vast forests and ample water supply. The large white home was approached by a long path lined with evergreen trees and a large fountain was in front of several steps which led up to the massive doors of the home. Ingman Wilhelm managed the farm with large groups of hired help during the harvest season. There were five tenants who lived nearby to help with the work. Some of his faithful helpers, when they married, were offered small plots of land, a little cottage, and a start of chickens and hogs. Ingman Wilhelm raised Clydesdale type horses, carriage horses used by the royal family of Sweden, and propagated what is known throughout the world today as the Gotland pony. Seamstresses, tailors and cobblers came to the farm for periods long enough to make a years supply of clothes and footwear for the family. Food was prepared and preserved in large quantities. Sausages were buried in lard and in the summertime pounds and pounds of butter were submerged in a tube of salt water. Many kinds of meats, fruits and herbs were dried. On Christmas, Catharina Jacobina’s father Hans Johannes Jacobson was the official baby tender and before they had their own breakfast, they put out feed for the birds. Sheaves of wheat were tied to small poles and stuck in the snow. Lumps of sugar were fed to the horses and ponies. Grandpa Hans enjoyed taking the children for rides about the estate in a pony cart. The Jacobson Farm, called Myrungs, is almost in the middle of the island of Gotland near a small village called Linde. When Nanlee (Billie) Laxon (granddaughter of Augusta Sward) first visited Myrungs in 1952, Mrs. Petterson (Ingman Wilhelm sold Myrung to the Pettersons) was still alive. She took “Billie” through the home seeing the old clock and bentwood chairs dating from Jacobson times. Outside, the house looks just as it did in 1850, but inside it has been modernized. The Jacobson farm was a monumental undertaking, engineered by an efficient, farsighted man who seemed to be forecasting what the ideal country life should be like on a successful scale. Like most people of Swedish birth, the Jacobsons were devout members of the Lutheran State Church. They attended the Lutheran church each Sunday going in a large carry-all drawn by a magnificent pair of horses. They later joined the Baptist church. Then two Mormon Elders, Alexander Hedquist (Provo, Utah) and John Erickson (local missionary) and Lars Allen (missionary for ten years in Sweden) taught the gospel to the Jacobson family. After heated discussions and attending some meeting over a period of about a year, Ingman Wilhelm joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in 1866. Catharina Jacobina joined the church a year later on the 20 June 1867. Jacob Johannes Ingman and Peter Reinhold Antone were baptized the same day. When they joined the church their friends turned against them, especially Catharina’s side of the family. On one occasion Ingman Wilhelm was walking through his timber land when he was attacked by seven drunken men, headed by his father-in-law, who said they were going to do away with him. Ingman Wilhelm was a relatively large man (200 pounds) and he was able to beat the men off with a cane that he carried with him. About this time, Elder Hess delivered a message to Ingman Wilhelm from Apostle Albert Carrington, President of the European Mission, requesting that Ingman Wilhelm and his family emigrate to Utah with the next company of Saints. He also requested that Ingman Wilhelm give financial help to as many LDS families as possible so they could emigrate with the next company of Saints to Utah. Arrangements were made by President O. C. Olsen from Mayfield, Utah of the Scandinavian mission, for Ingman Wilhelm to pay passage for other emigrants whereby each family signed a promissory note to repay Ingman Wilhelm after they had reached Utah. He financially helped twenty-nine families and only three ever repaid him. Every conceivable obstacle was put in the way of Ingman Wilhelm and Catharina Jacobina’s family when they decided to dispose of their property and emigrate to Utah. The property was sold below value because the people of the locality were so prejudice to them for joining the LDS church. In the fall of 1868, Lars Allen was released from his missionary duties and was chosen by Ingman Wilhelm to be the guardian to Jacob Ingman and Reinhold Antone while they were in Stockholm, Sweden to learn the English language from Professor Green from New York City. Professor Green was visiting Sweden after touring Germany. In preparation for their trip to Utah, Ingman Wilhelm had a large copper kettle made at the city of Visby, Gotland, Sweden. The kettle was made of Swedish copper taken from the Eskel Tuna mines which were over six hundred years old. The kettle cost one hundred sixty crowns and was used to bring the silverware, fine linens and woven shawls to Utah. A locked iron lid covered the kettle. This kettle is now at the Utah Daughters of the Pioneers relic building at Soiouette Park, in Provo, Utah (better known as the North Park). There are two kettles there and I have been told that Ingman Wilhelm’s kettle is the larger one although his name is on the smaller kettle. With everything taken care of or settled at Myrungs, Linde, Gotland, Sweden; Ingman Wilhelm and Catharina Jacobina with their children Augusta Wilhelmina, Lars Williams, Mary, Matthew and Emil traveled to Stockholm, Sweden on 10 April 1869 where they were united with their children Jacob Ingman and Reinhold Antone. With several other emigrant families they went to Copenhagen, Denmark where they stayed one week with other Saints from Sweden, Denmark and Norway. From Copenhagen they sailed across the North Sea to Hull, England which was a very rough trip. From Hull they traveled across the country in big wheeled carts and carriages to Liverpool, England. On 1 May 1869 the Company of seven hundred fifty Saints left Liverpool, England aboard the steamship “Minnesota”. They were the first Mormon emigrants to sail by steamship across the Atlantic Ocean. This trip took eleven days and twelve hours before they landed at Castle Garden, New York. They rode by train from New York to Omaha, Nebraska. From Omaha they traveled on the new Union Pacific Railroad consisting of some old battered passenger coaches used in the Civil War. Three engines were used with one pushing and two pulling ahead. Some of the ties and rails had just been laid on the plains over buffalo grass which made it slow going and a tiresome trip. Ephraim was born 1 August 1869 while they were traveling on the train near Chicago. Arrangements were made by Ingman Wilhelm to have part of the car petitioned off with heavy red curtains and a Scotch maid or mid-wife took charge. Janet Irvine, the mid-wife, later married Joseph W. McMurrin. The trip was hard on Catharina Jacobina and their young son Emil who needed milk and special care. Fresh milk was scarce and hard to get. At the Platte River there was a short stop and Ingman Wilhelm tried to find some milk and was left behind. He was picked up by Road Master’s car which followed and he caught up with the family at Ogden, Utah. They left the train at the Weber River (near Ogden) and camped there until the church teams came and took them into Salt Lake City about 13 August 1869. This date disqualified these Saints as pioneers because the qualifying date had been established as 10 May 1869. The Ingman Wilhelm and Catharina Jacobina family, with the company of Saints, camped at the Old Tithing Yard, visited friends for about three weeks and prepared for travel to their new homes. Ingman Wilhelm purchased a team and wagon and headed towards Richfield, Utah. When they arrived in Provo, Utah they were met by Lars P. Nelson who referred them to George W. Gee who had been on a mission and had visited them in Gotland, Sweden. Both Lars P. Nelson and George W. Gee persuaded Ingman Wilhelm and his family to stay in Provo. The Jacobson family decided to do this when they learned of Indian hostilities in Sanpete and Sevier counties at that time. Ingman Wilhelm bought a few acres of land with a log cabin just outside of the old wall (south side) built to surround Provo. The walling project, never completed, began in the spring of 1854 during intermittent Indian troubles associated with the “Walker War” named for a hostile Ute chief. The wall was to extend from sixth south to fifth north and from seventh west to University Avenue. It was to be 12 to 14 feet high, 4 to 6 feet wide at the base and tapering to a width of two feet at the top. An eighteen inch layer of rock was to provide a foundation. Here, near this incompleted wall, the Ingman Wilhelm family of ten made their first home. They moved into a little two room log cabin, a pitiful contrast to their Swedish mansion. Catharina Jacobina’s life in Sweden was like a wonderful dream experience; her life in America was about as opposite as could be. Catharina was at least five feet eight inches tall with a lot of black naturally wavy hair, large eyes and a wonderful Swedish skin and Swedish disposition. She never really adjusted to life in Utah although she was a wonderful cook, cured and preserved meat, made candles, and corded wool which was used to make clothes. Their water was drawn from a well with a rope and bucket. Even though she was pregnant as they started their trip to Utah, this was no deterrent for her to venture out into the unknown. Ingman Wilhelm was an ardent convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and despite the severe tests he faced he remained staunch in the faith. Ingman Wilhelm was a vigorous and hard working man. With his boys, they worked early and late on the farm and made frequent trips to the canyon for wood which they used for fuel and building purposes. He was anxious to get buildings built and he was buying land as fast as he could arrange for it. It was said that he carried a money belt around his waist containing gold coins. Jacob Ingman (son) indicated there was a great spirit of happiness and freedom as they worked digging ditches, grubbing brush and leveling ground. They had hardly got settled when Emil and Matthew took sick with mountain fever, as they called it then, but known later as typhoid fever. Emil died in October 1869 and Matthew lingered and then died December 1869. Matthew had begged that he did not want to die. Two more rooms had been built on their home and a kitchen, dining room addition had been started to be built when Ingman Wilhelm took sick with typhoid fever in the fall of 1871. He could hardly be kept in bed because he wanted to go on with his work. Two doctors attended him including Dr. Simmons from Payson but Ingman Wilhelm died in May 1872. This was a very trying time for the Jacobson family. Catharina Jacobina missed her husband very much because he was always so staunch and firm in his religion and mode of living. She was frequently bolstered up by his strong will power. He was a natural leader and was loved and respected by everyone. Jacob Ingman was the oldest son, and the burden of the family became largely his responsibility. He worked on the farm while Antone worked in a grist mill at Lehi, Utah. Catharina Jacobina adjusted to their conditions and was soon helping in the work and caring for the families welfare. Faith and courage were surely manifest during these trying days by the Jacobson family. Jacob Ingman found employment helping build the big rock building of the Provo Woolen Mills. Here he met and shook hands with President Brigham Young, Senators Clark of Montana and Garfield of Ohio. James A. Garfield later became President of the United States. Jacob Ingman also helped build the Second Ward meeting house, known later as the Old Social Hall. Augusta worked at the Provo Woolen Mills for five years to help the family prior to her marriage to August Sward. It has been said that Catharina Jacobina could not speak English very well and that she became bitter towards the LDS church because money the Jacobson family had given to pay passage for many families to come to Utah had not been paid back to them as promised. Six years after the death of Ingman Wilhelm (1878), Catharina Jacobina married Hans Johannes Johnasson (known as Johnson). They lived in the Catharina Jacobina home at 600 South and 617 West. Hans Johnson was a cattle and sheep man and he had race horses was a care-free opportunistic type man. His weakness was alcohol and it affected his life considerably. They had one daughter Katherine born 17 April 1879. About four years after Catharina Jacobina and Hans were married they were divorced and their daughter Katherine (Aunt Kate) took the name of Jacobson while still a small child. Catharina Jacobina became a rather sad and depressed woman before she died 21 January 1899 at Provo, Utah. She is buried in the Provo cemetery. Children of Ingman Wilhelm and Catharina Jacobina Jacobson were: (1) Jacob Ingman who was born 12 February 1853 at Myrungs, Linde, Gotland, Sweden. He attended district school for three years and then a Baptist School for four years. He studied the English language under Professor Green in Stockholm. Jacob Ingman was sixteen years old when the Jacobson family came to Utah. In Sweden things were well developed, but in Utah, there was still some pioneering to be done. He helped his father digging ditches, grubbing brush, and leveling the land. One of the saddest experiences he had was in October 1869 when his brother Matthew was near death and he pleaded to Jacob Ingman that he did not want to die. When Jacob Ingman’s father died in May 1872, Catharina Jacobina could hardly stand up under the trouble she had experienced. She thought back to the comfort of their old home in Sweden with comfort and plenty, how the emigrants had failed to pay back the money they had borrowed from them, and all this brought her grief and discomfort. The children did all they could to comfort her and she responded by showing faith and courage during these trying days. All of the children who were old enough to work found jobs to help support the family. Jacob Ingman was the oldest child and he accepted a great deal of the responsibility around the home. In 1875 while delivering a load of coal in Salt Lake City, Jacob Ingman met a young blue-eyed girl, Mary Elenora Nielsen, who alter became his wife. They were married 26 September 1878 in the Old Endowment House. Mary Ellen (Elenora) Christopherson was born on a farm 2 January 1861 in Lolland, Denmark to Ellen Krog and ____________ Christophersen. Her father died when she was six years old. A few years later, Ellen Krog Christopehrson married Christian Willard Nielsen. He was a tailor by trade and built a tailor’s shop on their farm. Ellen Krog (Mary’s mother) became interested in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints through the missionaries and she attended their meetings and let them hold meeting sin their home. After two years of study, Ellen Krog and Christian Willard Nielson joined the church. Ellen Krog wanted to go to Utah but Christian Willard objected to leaving Denmark at that time. He would come later. The missionaries told Ellen if she desired to go they would help her while she was aboard ship and help her get placed in Utah. She was a very courageous woman to leave their farm (left to her by her first husband) with just enough money to pay for their travel expenses and to live while aboard ship. She was depending on making her own living when she arrived in Utah. After she had made the decision to go to Utah she made the necessary arrangements for herself and her two children for transportation on the ship. They had to walk two miles to the ship. She brought two satchels of clothes and a small express wagon to carry luggage and to carry her small son Peter who was slightly crippled from a fall off his father’s tailor table that broke his hip. Peter died in 1890. Mary Ellen was twelve years old when she came with her mother and Peter to Utah. The ship was very crude and they often had trouble. They had not gone far when the Captain discovered a small leak in the ship and he made everyone throw overboard any heavy articles. This was the day Mary Ellen learned to speak some new English words. So many of the women were afraid the ship was sinking that they walked up and down the deck wringing their hands and crying “Oh dear”, “Oh, dear” and Mary Ellen joined them. When they reached Salt Lake City in 1873, the missionaries took Ellen Krog and her children to the home of George Q. Cannon and introduced Ellen Krog to him as an excellent cook. He took them into his home, the BeeHive House. He had several wives at the time and they all ate together in a large dining room. Ellen Krog cooked and Mary Ellen cared for the children and attended school to learn English. While setting the table, she put each article down and named it aloud in English. George Q. Cannon helped her a great deal in learning the language. Ellen Krog was at the Cannon home about a year when her husband wrote that he would sell their farm and come to Utah. When he came they moved to Provo and bought a home on 100 West and 200 North. He built a tailor shop on Center Street and had a very good business but he died of pneumonia in 1889. Mary Ellen continued to work at the Cannon’s and Wilford Woodruff’s homes. When the St. George temple was completed she went with these two families to St. George, Utah. She was baptized for hundreds of members of the Cannon and Woodruff’s families. She often spoke of the good times they had climbing up to the Sugar Loaf Mountains of St. George. When they came back to Salt Lake City, Mary Ellen went to Provo to visit her Mother and while there she again met Jacob Ingman Jacobson. She was seventeen and he was twenty-six. They decided to get married and went to Salt Lake City in a lumber wagon to be married in the Endowment House. The Endowment House authorities would not accept the recommend given to them by Bishop Loveless of Provo because Jacob Ingman had not been ordained an Elder. Jacob Ingman decided to appeal to President Woodruff to see what could be done in Salt Lake about a recommend. He found President Woodruff hoeing weeds in a garden and told him his difficulties. President woodruff first told him he would need to return to Provo and be ordained an elder and then asked Jacob Ingman who he was to marry. After telling him Mary Ellen’s name and that she had cooked many meals for him, President Woodruff said, “Why bless your soul, is it little Mary?” Jacob Ingman told him that he thought that was what they called her. President woodruff then said, “I’ll sign your recommend, because I know if you had not been a good Latter-Day Saint, that she would never have consented to have married you”. They were married 26 September 1878. After returning to Provo, Jacob Ingman worked on the railroad and bought a home known as the William Ellison place 565 West 300 South. This was originally an old schoolhouse known as the Second Ward School and Meeting House. They lived there until 1889 when they moved to a new home built on their farm at 950 South and 500 West. This is where most of the family were born and raised: Augusta Elnora born 14 August 1879, Marguerita Christiana born 12 November 1882, Emil Jacob born 2 October 1884, Laura Merenda born 14 November 1886, Raisa Johanna born 29 March 1890, Rufus Ingman born 19 August 1892, Eva Marie born 12 February 1896, Vera Odelia born 2 September 1898, Edna Neoma born 26 April 1901 and Clyde Elbert born 11 March 1903. Jacob Ingman served as a Ward Teacher, Sunday School Teacher and many offices in the Priesthood; serving as President of the High Priest Group of the Second Ward for many years. Mary Ellen died 28 Jun 1921. Jacob Ingman sold his home to his son Rufus in 1928. After this he lived with his children, principally with Raisa and Jay Beardall. In his older years he was assigned by the Bishop to visit the sick and he was given other special assignments in the Ward. Much of his time was spent doing genealogy and temple work. In 1933 Jacob Ingman Jacobson gave the following testimony: “I now want to bear my testimony to all my children and all posterity that I have a perfect testimony that the Church to which I belong is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The only Church now upon the earth that is organized exactly the same as the Church organized by Jesus Christ and his apostles in the former days, and I also do testify that it cannot be Christ’s church unless it is organized exactly the same as it was in His life time upon the earth. Therefore, I would advise all my posterity to hold fast to the principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. This is my testimony to all”. Jacob Johannes Ingman Jacobson died 14 August 1943 at Provo, Utah and he was buried in the Provo cemetery. (2) Antone Reinhold Peter Jacobson was born 11 June 1856 at Linde, Gotland, Sweden. His schooling was very similar to that of his older brother Jacob Ingman. He attended district schools and the Baptist school for a few years. In the fall of 1868 Antone Reinhold and his brother Jacob Ingman were placed under the guardianship of Lars Allen a released missionary to learn the English language from Professor Green of New York. Mr. Green was visiting Sweden after touring Germany. Antone was thirteen years old when the family arrived in Utah. He helped his father and Jacob Ingman get wood from Provo canyon, dug ditches and grubbed out brush. When his father died of typhoid fever in May 1872, Antone went to work in a grist mill to help support the family. Information was not available concerning his marriage and later divorce, but we do know he lost most of his arm in an accident at the grist mill. After the loss of his arm his wife divorced him. After the arm healed, he was riding his horse home from work at Lehi (Grist Mill) when the horse stepped in a hole and fell, throwing Antone to the ground injuring again what arm he had left. This injury became infected and Antone died 16 June 1890 and he was buried in the Provo City cemetery. (3) Augusta Wilhelmina Jacobson was born 13 August 1858 in Linde, Gotland, Sweden. Her childhood days were spent on their large estate much like those of her brothers Jacob Ingman and Antone Reinhold except Augusta had periods of poor health which prevented her from attending school regularly. Augusta remembered how kind her grandfather was to her and how much fun she had feeding the birds, giving lumps of sugar to the horses, and riding in the pony cart with him. When Augusta was eleven years old she remembers the loud cries of her beloved grandfather as they left to go to America. Leaving the old home was a series of heartaches for Augusta. She was eleven years old when they arrived in Utah. After her father died in May 1872, August worked at the Provo Woolen Mills for five years to help the family prior to her marriage to August Sward, Jr. on 18 August 1880. From this union four children were born: Elena, Arna, Arthur and a daughter that died at birth. August Sward, Jr. was born near Malmo, Sweden in 1856, the second son of Elena and August Sward, Sr. His father was a cabinet maker. The Sward family joined the church and soon after August emigrated to Utah with his sister Annie. They were preceded by their brother Andrew and sister Inger. Their parents and three sisters Hannah, Chasta and Christine came to Utah later. August owned and operated a combination blacksmith shop and carriage making establishment in Provo. He was a hard working, jolly, good natured man yet a serious man in many of the things he did. He died with pneumonia in 1888 and he was buried in the Provo cemetery. A year later Augusta married August’s brother Andrew. Four children were born to this union: Ola, Robert, Vena (Teddie) and Darwin. The two boys died when they were about nine years old. Andrew Sward was born near Malmo, Sweden in 1845 the oldest son of Elena and August Sward, Sr. After the family joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Andrew and his sister Inger were the first to emigrate to Utah. They came in one of the last sailing ships that crossed the Atlantic. The trip took almost three months. There was much sickness, both physical and emotional, among the homesick emigrants. It was reported that Andrew with his versatile entertainment gifts was the cheer captain of the ship. He organized a choir, told stories, and worked up humorous dialogs, and performed clog dances in his wooden shoes. He spent many nights sitting up nursing the sick. In his early days in Utah, Andrew earned a living for the family by being a gifted repairman and house painter. While still a bachelor, he made a trip back to Sweden to visit his brother Olaf who refused to join the Mormons. On his way, Andrew was delegated to select an approve the purchase of the Provo tabernacle organ, and he supervised the installation of the organ on his return. Andrew married his brother’s widow in 1889 at the age of forty-four. He was associated with the Taylor Brothers Furniture Store and was a partner in this store for several years after its establishment. Andrew was a man of many talents in music, painting, pencil etching and interior decorating. He loved nature and the habits of animals. He was a ventriloquist and loved to entertain people. When the Mormons were having trouble with the Indians in southern Utah they took Andrew with them and he would throw his voice and talk to the Indians. It helped stop the trouble they were having. When the diphtheria epidemic hit Provo, Andrew went with the doctors to help them. He was a man that liked everything in its place and was very strict about this. Also, good manners were taught by him to his children. They were never allowed to leave the table until the meal was completed. He loved people and children, but cared little about the business aspects of the home. Augusta took care of these matters. Andrew died in 1925 at Provo, Utah and he is buried in the Provo cemetery. He was seventy-nine years old. Augusta loved people and she enjoyed them. She was an excellent cook and made her home very comfortable and it was always clean. She always kept a canary and loved to care for it. Augusta was very ambitious and even in her 80th years she did her own washing, ironing and cooking. People said her pies were the greatest. Augusta had a very affectionate disposition and wanted it in return. Always smiling, she was an optimistic person both in sickness and in health. Anytime anyone came to her with their problems they were always unburdened, feeling relieved and better after talking with her. She made rag rugs and was known throughout Utah County for her artistic ability in making interesting stirpes and borders in them. Her husband Andrew, brought yards of rags from the store for her to use to make rugs. She had a large loom, eight feet long and about six feet high, in a room all by itself. It took her several hours to thread the loom which had large rocks on the back for weight to hold it in place. She worked all day and sometimes hours into the night to finish her orders for rugs. The rugs could be laundered and they lasted for many years. Augusta was very talented in crocheting and did many hundreds of pieces of beautiful work such as potholders, luncheon cloth corners and she gave each grandchild one. She also made each one of her children a bedspread. Augusta has been quoted as saying: “The Lord has been so good to me. He has let me work like a fool all my life”. She suffered far more tragedies than the average person with almost no sign of self-pity or bitterness. Augusta appeared to have a strict rule never to bother anyone with her demands, moods, needs or aches or pains. Helpfulness was her watchword. Fortunately, she also had many blessings of which she was ever mindful to compensate for her trials. Ola Sward Peterson, a daughter of Andrew and Augusta Sward wrote: “It would require a book to do justice to the shiny mission Augusta performed as daughter, wife, mother and grandmother. The book should be entitled “An Angel Came To Earth”. Ola Sward Peterson joined the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints February 1979 at the age of eighty-six. She said “It was a dreamlike experience that I shall never forget. I still have that inner feeling that it was the right thing to do, and I have had a peace of mind such as I have not had in a long time, if ever. Mormonism, I find, is not just a church, but a way of life”. After a year, Ola Sward Peterson went through the temple to receive her endowments and be sealed to her husband. Augusta died 1 June 1956 nearly one hundred years old and she is buried in the Provo cemetery. (4) William Lars Jacobson was born 12 December 1860 in Linde, Gotland, Sweden. He was nine years old when they arrived in Utah. Not much is written about William as a child growing up in Provo. He was a handsome young man, good and kind to all that knew him. He was a very studious student and worked very hard. But constantly on his mind was his club foot and he suffered great humiliation from it. William planned to be a lawyer. He had taken an examination for a scholarship, had passed the examination with very high marks and was told he would receive a scholarship. Instead, the scholarship was given to a son of a prominent man in Provo. About this time he was also engaged to be married, but his bride to be gave him back his ring as she had found someone else. William believed his club foot was the reason she did not want to marry him and he threw the ring through an open window into a plowed field. All this was too much for William and at a despondent moment he went to the stables and hung himself. A jury concluded that William came to his death by strangulation: the act committed by himself. There is no doubt but what his deformity had a great deal to do with prompting his actions. William died 26 December 1887 and he is buried in the Provo cemetery. (5) Matthew Jacobson was born in December 1862 in Linde, Gotland, Sweden and was seven years old when they arrived in Utah. They arrived in Provo, Utah about 15 September 1869 and Matthew died from typhoid fever December 1869. Jacob Ingman, Matthew’s oldest brother, relates how Matthew pleaded to him that he did not want to die. Matthew was buried in the Provo cemetery. (6) Mary (Aunt Mame) Jacobson was born 22 February 1865 in Linde, Gotland, Sweden. She was three years old when they arrived in Utah. She attended school in Provo and at age sixteen she obtained employment in Salt Lake City and moved there. Her mother had married Hans Johannes Johnson and he was very mean to both her Mother and the other children. Mary could not stand the trouble in the home so she moved to Salt Lake City. On 16 March 1887, Mary married James Leaing McMurrin who was born 26 March 1864 in Salt Lake City, son of Joseph and Margaret L. McMurrin. Before his marriage, James L. McMurrin was engaged in teaming and surveying. In 1884 he was called to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Great Britain. He labored first as a traveling Elder in Scotland and later as President of the work in Ireland. At the end of two years he was released from his mission to return home. Not long after he returned home he met and married Mary Jacobson in the Logan temple. They were blessed as parents to have six daughters and a son: Vera Leaing, James LeRoy, Neoma Mary died as an infant, Arleen Margaret, Marie Afton, Janet and Thelma. James McMurrin first embarked in the hay and grain business with R. C. Easton and their business prospered for several years. Later, James established a home in Clifton, Idaho where he engaged in farming. He took a very active part in church work and became prominent politically. In 1897 he represented his county as a member of the lower house in the Idaho Legislature. Two years later he was elected a member of the upper house and served there until the spring of 1899. James was selected to give the nominating speech for Governor Steunenberg’s second term. In 1899 he was called on a second mission to Great Britain and served as First Counselor to President Platte D. Lyman of the European Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He was a fearless and aggressive worker and through his earnestness and devotion he made many friends. While on this mission he developed cancer but refused to be released until his mission was completed. He returned home in 1901 and entered the hospital in Ogden, Utah where he was given special treatments, but none of them corrected his condition. He died 7 August 1902 and was buried in the Salt Lake City cemetery. The headlines in the paper read “Death Claims a Good Man”. Mary McMurrin of 28 East Second North Street died in 1949 at the age of eighty-four after a lingering illness. She is buried in the Salt Lake City cemetery. She was a member of the Twentieth Ward for twenty years. (7) Emil Jacobson was born October 1867 at Linde, Gotland, Sweden. He was two years old when they arrived in Utah and died form typhoid fever about six weeks after they arrived in Provo, October 1869. Both Matthew and Emil became sick about the same time but Matthew lingered until his death in December 1869. (8) Ephraim (Uncle “EPH”) Jacobson was born 1 August 1869 in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois on a west bound train while the family was en route to Utah form their home in Sweden. Arrangements had been made by Ingman Wilhelm (father) to have part of the railroad car petitioned off with heavy red curtains and a Scotch Maid or mid-wife took charge. Janet Irvine was the mid-wife and she later married Joseph W. McMurrin. With the birth of Ephraim, the conductor smilingly told them all that he was born while the train was going forty miles per hour. Ephraim’s father died when he was about two years old and when he was about nine years old his mother married Hans Johannes Johnasson (Johnson). Ephraim’s half-sister Katherine (Aunt Kate) was born 17 April 1879. Life became very unhappy for Ephraim as he was often mistreated and made to work very hard. At one time, he and a companion went to Green River, Utah to work on his step-fathers ranch but life there became so unbearable that they decided to return home. They walked the entire distance with very little to eat. When Ephraim was still a young man his Mother divorced her second husband Hans Johannes Johnson. A great deal of the care for the family now became Ephraim’s responsibility because his older brother’s and sister’s had either married or gone away to find employment. When he was sixteen years old he worked ten hours a day on the railroad and helped manage the farm. A few years later, Ephraim went to Eureka, Utah and worked in the mines. After his mother’s death in 1899, he bought her home. Ephraim married Rilla Leetham on 15 January 1901 and they lived in Eureka for about fifteen months where Ephraim worked in the mines. Glen, their oldest son, was born in Eureka. The family moved to Provo in March 1902 and lived in the old Jacobson home that Ephraim had purchased earlier. The rest of the family, nine children, were born there: (2) Erma, (3) Thessa (Tass), (4) LeRoy Leetham (died when three years old), (5) Kenneth Thomas, (6) William M. (7) Reta (twin), (8) Rilla (twin), (9) Raymond Marlin, and (10) Evelyn Afton. Ephraim managed the farm and later engaged in the dairy business where he was known as “Honest Eph”. Ephraim was a kind husband and father, a good provider, a great worker and he was an example and inspiration to noble, straight forward, honest and upright living. He was always there to help where help was often needed. Ephraim died 15 March 1936 after a short illness and he is buried in the Provo cemetery. (9) Katherine (Aunt Kate) Johnson half-sister to the eight Jacobson children listed above was born 17 April 1879 to Catharina Jacobina Lorentina Jacobson and her second husband Hans Johannes Johnson. She and Ephraim, her half-brother, were always very close friends. When Katherine’s mother died, Ephraim was made Katherine’s guardian. It is written that the families of Katherine’s other half-brother and sisters ignored her and she did not feel welcome in their homes. When Katherine was about twenty-one years old she had a baby boy, but she never married the childs father. The baby was given up for adoption, but died, when only a few years old. Katherine went to work in a restaurant and hotel in Denver where she met and married Frank Rodgers. They made their home in Reno, Nevada. They were only married about four years when her husband Frank died. Later she married Williamson Greigson, but they were only married a few years when Katherine died on 14 December 1920 in Provo, Utah. Katherine died in Provo because she had written a letter to the Ephraim Jacobson family saying she needed her tonsils removed and she wanted to have it done in Provo. She stayed with the Ephraim Jacobson family. After her tonsils were removed, Glen (Ephraim’s oldest son) went into the bedroom to see how his Aunt Kate was feeling. Aunt Kate had a strange look on her face and Glen told his parents. Katherine died at this time from a heart attack and she is buried in the Provo cemetery. Katherine’s funeral was held in the home established by Ingman Wilhelm and Catharina Jacobina Jacobson. This home has been occupied and lived in constantly since 1872. Four generations have been reared in this home with many births, deaths, funerals, marriages, birthday celebrations and reunions being held there. The house was built two room at a time, each with a separate rock foundation and high ceilings. Now there are six rooms and a bath (formerly pantry), and a very large back porch which was used as a summer kitchen where hundreds of quarts of fruit, vegetables, meat, jam, pickles, jelly and etc. were canned. Funerals held at the Jacobson home are as follows: BornDied Emil JacobsonOctober 1867October 1869 Matthew JacobsonDecember 1862December 1869 Ingman Wilhelm Jacobson6 April 18298 May 1872 Lars Wilhelm Jacobson12 December 186026 December 1887 Antone Reinhold Peter Jacobson11 June 1856June 1890 Catharina Jacobina Lorentina Jacobson11 November 183321 June 1899 LeRoy Leetham Jacobson8 May 19087 June 1911 When Emil died, age two years, there wasn’t a house built on the property, October, 1869. At this time the Jacobson family were living in a very small log cabin, standing about where the old granary stood. There was a fire at the Provo cemetery, burning all the records and markers of graves, so the Jacobson family do not know where the graves of Ingman Wilhelm, Emil and Matthew Jacobson are located. Some say they were buried close by a fence. Emma Jacobson, wife of Glen Jacobson, furnished this historical information to John Charl Brown (grandson of Jacob I. Jacobson) who compiled it for distribution at the Jacobson Family Reunion August 7, 1983. This compilation comes from contributions from many progenitors of the Jacobson family but it is not considered complete and may contain errors. We are in need of a picture of Ingman Wilhelm Jacobson. If you have additional information, corrections or any other suggestions please contact John Charl Brown, 1251 South 250 West, Orem, Utah 84057. Telephone 801-225-8687. I thank my wife Kathryn Bennett Brown for typing this History. We all should be grateful and share some responsibility for maintaining the blessings given to us in OUR HERITAGE. P.S. We learned on Memorial Day that Ellen and Christian Nielson and their son Peter do not have headstones at their graves. A good project next year would be to get headstones for these graves.

Ingman Wilhelm Jacobson

Contributor: dbknox Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Emigration of Ingman Wilhelm Jacobson 1866 - 1872 (Told by Jacob I. Jacobson) In the year 1866, my father, Ingman Wilhelm Jacobson joined the L.D.S. Church. Later in the year 1867, my mother Catharina Jacobina Lorentina Jacobson, brother, Peter Reinholt Antone Jacobson, and myself, Jacob Johannes Ingman Jacobson, joined the L.D.S. Church. Baptized in Sweden, 20 June 1867. The missionaries that converted our family were Mr. Alexander Hedquist (from Provo, Utah), John Erickson (a local Missionary), and Lars Allen (also a very successful missionary, for ten years, on the Island of Gotland.) My Father started in the year 1868 to dispose of property and belongings. Extensive holdings were auctioned off at three different auctions. The property was sold below value, because the people of the locality were so prejudice to us, for joining the Church. In the fall of 1868, Lars Allen was released from his missionary duties, and was chosen by my father to be the guardian to brother Antone and myself, while we were in Stockholm, to learn the English language from Professor Green of New York. Mr. Green was just a visitor to our country, and had been touring Germany. About the tenth day of April 1869, my parents and family had all things settled, and came to the city of Stockholm. The younger children of our family that were emigrating with us were: Augusta Wilhelmina, Lars William, Mary, Matthew, and Emil. We left the city of Stockholm with other L.D.S. Saints and went to Copenhagen with Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian Saints. From Copenhagen we sailed to Hull, England. This journey was very rough across the North Sea, between Denmark and England. From Hull we traveled across country in big two wheeled carts and carriages to Liverpool. We left Liverpool on May 1st on the Steamship Minnesota. The first L.D.S. emigrants to cross the Atlantic Ocean by steamship. It took 11 days to cross. My father was asked, by Pres. O. (Christian or Carl) Olsen (from Mayfield, Utah. He married a Stockholm girl.) of the Scandinavian Mission, to help aid the emigrants from their Scandinavian countries to Liverpool, and to pay the steamship passage for them to cross the ocean from Liverpool to N.Y. He also payed railway fare, from N.Y. to Utah, for 29 Adults and their children. Seven hundred and fifty Mormons of different nationalities gathered in N.Y., and left for Utah by train. My youngest brother, Ephraim C., was born while traveling on the train, about two hundred miles south-west of Chicago on 1 August 1869. Arrangements were made by father to have part of the car petitioned off with heavy red curtains, and Scotch maid or mid-wife took charge. (Relative of McMurrin family.) Out next stop was Omaha. OMAHA MEMORIES OF JACOB I. JACOBSON (1869) When Antone and Jacob spent the night in Omaha Neb., on their way to Utah, they stayed in a four-story frame hotel. One of the best in Omaha at the time. Uncle Antone crawled in between the white sheets before Jacob, and all of a sudden he says, “There’s lice in this bed. They’re biting me.” Jacob said, “They’re not lice. I believe they are ‘Veigger-luce’, “meaning wall lice.” “I’ve never seen them before, but I’ve heard of them.” Before the night was over, they were well acquainted with them. After scratching and fighting them for an hour or two, they got out of bed, lighted the lamp, and spent the rest of the night sitting in the chairs. The next morning the owner of the hotel said that they were bed bugs, and that they came in with some lumber. We then went from Omaha on the new Union Pacific R.R. that was just completed. We had to wait over at the Platte River while they relined the R.R. lines, and blast with gravel. The ties and rails had just been laid over the buffalo grass on the plains. Fresh milk was scarce and hard to get, but father left the train to find some for my little brothers. The train left before he returned, and he didn’t catch up with us until we reached Weber River. We left the train at Weber River, and camped until the Church teams came and took us into Salt Lake. After staying in Salt Lake a few weeks, we left intending to go to Fort Gunnison, in southern Utah, where O.C. Olsen lived. When we came through Provo, father met George W. Gee, a former Missionary on our island, and he had us stay in Provo, and took us down to meet Lars Peter Nelson (A Swedish family). He and Mr. Gee persuaded us to stay in Provo, as the Indians were fighting under Chief Black Hawk, in Salt Creek Canyon, and had recently killed two families. We bought land and established our new home in the Second Ward of Provo, on the south side of the twelve foot dirt wall that was then built around Provo. That fall we paid $60.00 in gold for 10 bushels of wheat to Daniel Vincent Sr. He had the only wheat available on account of the grasshopper war. We bought potatoes that had been planted in July, after the grasshopper war. They were the size of a walnut, and cost $2.00 a bushel. My father took ill in September 1871, and died. My two little brothers, Mathew, seven, and Emil, two and a half, died the fall we came to Provo, and in the spring of 1872. I was left head of the family, and found it difficult as I was only 18 years old, and food was very scarce. The only fruits to be had was wild plums, and ground cherries which we gathered.

William Ingman Jacobson

Contributor: dbknox Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Biography of William Ingman Jacobson Came to Utah in 1869 Written by Laura Jacobson Weeter His Granddaughter Of Camp Grandview Of Daughters of Utah Pioneers of Utah County Provo, Utah Emigration of William Ingman Jacobson 1866 - 1872 William Ingman Jacobson was born April 6, 1829, at Gotland Sweden. He received a good education in his early years, attended school at Stockholm Sweden. He inherited property and being a very ambitious man he soon became owner of a great deal of land. His employees who helped cultivate land lived in small homes built on his property for them. He was very generous and kind to them. He was always a very religious man belonged to the Baptist Church. He married Kathrina Lorantina Jacobson in 1850. They had a family of eight children six sons and two girls. Mr. Jacobson joined the church in 1866. Mrs. Jacobson joined in 1867. They were very kind to missionaries. The missionaries who converted his family were Mr Alexander Hedquist of Provo, Utah, John Erickson and Lars Allen. Mr. Allen was a very successful missionary he served for ten years. In fall of 1868 he was released and Mr. Jacobson choose him as guardian of his two oldest sons Jacob and Antone sent them to Stockholm to school to learn the English language from Professor Green of New York. He then sold property and belongings auctioned off at three different auctions all was sold below value because people and relatives were so prejudice toward them for joining the Latter-day Saint church. In April 10, 1869 the rest of the family went to Stockholm. While in Stockholm he was asked to contribute to missionaries headquarters. And also help other emigrants to go to Utah. This he did willing. He gave a large amount to missionaries and paved the way for many people to get to Utah. They left Stockholm with other L.D.S. went to Copenhagen, Denmark from there to Hull, England. The journey was very rough across the north sea. From Hull they traveled across country in big two wheeled horse carts to Liverpool England. In May 1st 1869 went on steamship, Minnesota the first L.D.S. emigrants to cross the Atlantic ocean by steamship. Arrived New York from there they traveled in old coaches to Ogden from there to Salt Lake traveled by wagon. Four of the men he brought with him to Salt Lake two went down to Sanpete County one settled in Santaquin and in Provo, the one that settled in Provo has a daughter in Provo. The other Mr. Allen has a daughter and Granddaughter in Orem. After a few days at Salt Lake they left intending to go to Richfield, Utah. But stopped at Provo where he met Lars Nelson he persuaded them to stay in Provo as the Indians under Chief Black Hawk were causing trouble in Salt Creek canyon. He bought land south part of Provo. They were soon at work digging ditches, pulling brush, leveling ground. Short by after they settled in Provo there two small sons became very ill, one died in October the other in December 1870. This was quite a shock to them all. Mr. Jacobson was a very man and a hard worker. He often carry large sacks of grain on his shoulders to the old Hoover mill which was in the north part of town. He lived extreme south side of town. In the fall of 1870 after the grasshopper war they had to pay six dollars a bushel for wheat and two dollars for a bushel for potatoes. William Jacobson had a very pleasant personality he was always happy and gay. Sang a great deal I have heard some of the people who knew him in early days speak of him reaping grain with a sackle singing all the while. When others would complain of hardships of this country he always bolstered them up with his cheery remarks. He was a very ambitious man often after working all day he would go to the mountains on moonlight nights to cut and haul timber for building and fuel; He cleared timber and brush from his land on ninth south to masture land on lake edge. He only lived two years after reaching Utah, In the fall of 1871 he took sick suffered for months. He died in May 1872. He was missed very keenly by his friends and family He was always staunch and firm in his religion and mode of living. His family was frequently encouraged by his strong will power and faith. He was a natural leader and loved and respected by those who knew him. Was buried in Provo Cemetery. Children of William Ingman Jacobson and Kathrine Lorantina Jacobson 1- Jacob Ingman Jacobson 2-Antone Jacobson 3- Augusta Jacobson (Sward) 4-William 5-Mary 6- Matthew 7- Emil 8- Ephraim All buried in Provo Cemetery.

Life timeline of William Ingman Jacobson

William Ingman Jacobson was born on 6 Apr 1829
William Ingman Jacobson was 3 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
William Ingman Jacobson was 11 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
William Ingman Jacobson was 31 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
William Ingman Jacobson was 40 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
William Ingman Jacobson died on 8 May 1872 at the age of 43
Grave record for William Ingman Jacobson (6 Apr 1829 - 8 May 1872), BillionGraves Record 12369 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States