William David Fairbanks

14 Mar 1810 - 14 Dec 1896

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

William David Fairbanks

14 Mar 1810 - 14 Dec 1896
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Written by a great, great, grandaughter Kathryn Fairbanks Kirk. Mary (Polly) Brooks, daughter of David and Patience White Brooks was born at Princeton, Worcester, Massachusetts on 16 Feb. 1780. At the age of 23 she married Joseph Fairbanks of Templeton, Massachusetts, 3 Oct. 1803 in Princeton, Worce

Life Information

William David Fairbanks

Married: 26 Nov 1838

Payson City Cemetery

901 E 400 N
Payson, Utah, Utah
United States


May 21, 2012


March 20, 2013


May 20, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of William David


William David Fairbanks is buried in the Payson City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Brief History of Mary (Polly) Brooks 1780-1860

Contributor: SunnyATB Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Written by a great, great, grandaughter Kathryn Fairbanks Kirk. Mary (Polly) Brooks, daughter of David and Patience White Brooks was born at Princeton, Worcester, Massachusetts on 16 Feb. 1780. At the age of 23 she married Joseph Fairbanks of Templeton, Massachusetts, 3 Oct. 1803 in Princeton, Worcester, Massachusetts or Peru, Bennington, Vermont. To this couple 13 children were born. Shortly after their marriage they took up residence in Peru, Vermont, where seven of their children were born. Next they moved to Sandy Hill, New York, where five more children were born. They lived there but a short time; in the spring of 1826 they moved to Rockaway, Morris County , New Jersey where their youngest child was born. They left there in 1830 and moved to Meads Basin, now known as Mountain View, Bergen County, New Jersey. Her husband Joseph was a stonemason and contractor He contracted the Morris Canal in New Jersey which is still in use. Polly was a very capable homemaker and housekeeper. Everything in and around her home was in order - neat and clean. Her kettles were as shiny as could be. She taught her children how to work, and told them that what they did in life, they must do well. Harriet, one of her daughters knitted all of her own stockings when she was but six years old. Joseph hired many men and often Polly would cook for them. It has been said that she made into bread as much as one barrel of flour (200 lbs.) in a day. As a young woman, Polly was quite tall. As she grew older, she was described as a large, strong woman who was very thrifty and not afraid to work. When her youngest child was about eighteen years of age, Polly became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Her husband and five of her children also embraced the gospel. Elder John Leach baptized them at Meads Basin, New Jersey, in 1843. In the summer of 1844, Polly, her husband, Joseph, and five of their children journeyed by team to Nauvoo, Illinois, to join the “body of Saints” there. Because of mob violence and persecution, she left Nauvoo for the west in company with her husband, their children David, John Boylston and their wives, Nathaniel, Henry, Harriet and her husband Dr. Henry John Doremus. They came as far west as Winter Quarters (now Florence, Nebraska). While there her husband became ill and died, 28 Feb. 1847. It was a sad thing to have come into her life at this time when she needed him so much. However, she continued her journey west with her children. Her son Nathaniel went on with Pres. Brigham Young’s company which arrived in Salt Lake Valley on 24 July 1847. Her youngest son Henry was called to serve with the Mormon Battalion in the war with Mexico. The rest of them continued on their journey west until they reached Salt Lake Valley on 6 Oct. 1847. Her son David was called to be the first Bishop of the First Ward in Salt Lake, with another son, John Boylston, as the ward clerk. When Henry returned from serving with the Mormon Battalion, he was somewhat discontented, and so he went back to Iowa where he married Rhoda Ann Davis. Nathaniel decided to go to California; he drowned on 29 Mar. 1853 while crossing a rive near Stockton, California. Losing Nathaniel almost broke Polly’s heart. She loved him very much and relied on him for comfort and support. Inasmuch as Nathaniel was not married, his brother David went to California to settle his affairs. Polly and her family remained in Salt Lake until 1851, at which time they went south to Payson, Utah, to settle. Those who went with her were her sons David and John Boylston, and their families together with Henry Nebeker, John Van Wagoner, James Smith and their families. (Upon arriving at Provo, however, James Smith and John Van Wagoner located there for a time). Upon their arrival in Payson, they were told that there was not sufficient water for them to locate there. They were obliged to go three miles eat of Payson to Pond Town (Salem) to settle. There they found water; they made a dam across a ravine, the water from which was sufficient for their needs as long as they remained there. However, the Indians became so troublesome, that they were forced to return to Payson. Upon their arrival back in Payson, they found that the original water problem had been solved and they were able to settle there permanently. By this time, Polly was seventy-three years old. The long hard tedious journey west, the rigorous pioneer life, the loss of her companion and her son, had taken a toll on her health. In 1858, David built a room onto his home for his mother, so she could be by herself when she so desired. This enabled her to still be near her family, while at the same time maintaining some degree of independence. Her children whom she left in the East never joined the Mormon Church, but they did keep up a continual correspondence with her, and were always thoughtful and kind. She raised an honourable family of sons and daughters, was a true and loving wife, a loving mother, and a faithful Latter-day Saint. She died at the age of 80 on 24 Jan. 1860.

Brief History of David Fairbanks 1810 - 1895

Contributor: SunnyATB Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

This sketch was written by his daughter, Martha Alice Fairbanks Keeler, 1930 David Fairbanks was born 14 March 1810 in Peru, Bennington County, Vermont. He was seventh in line of descent from Jonathan Fairbanks and his wife, Grace Smith Fairbanks, who were married 20 May 1617 in the Parish of Halifax, West Riding of Yorkshire, England. They came to Boston, Massachusetts, in America in 1633. This couple built their first house at Dedham, Massachusetts, in 1636. This house, with its quaint architecture, is still in a state of good preservation. David’s ancestors in America were deacons of the church, Indian scouts, and revolutionary soldiers. His father and mother, Joseph and Mary (Polly) Brooks Fairbanks, settled in Vermont where David and his brothers received their educations and learned their trades. He and his older brother joined with their father as contractors in the building of bridges, locks, docks, and canals. They helped install the first system of waterworks in the city fo New York, known as the Groten Water Works. They were also contractors on the Morristown Canal in New Jersey. On 26 November 1838 David Fairbanks with their three children, William Henry (12 September 1839), Mary Jane (2 February 1841) and Cornelius Mandeville (23 October 1843), moved to Nauvoo, Illinois. The other members of David’s family who had joined the Church, including his father and mother, also moved to Nauvoo. While there, their fourth child was born, Susan Jones Fairbanks (4 February 1846). Fully expecting to make a permanent abode in this new area, David purchased a farm of 160 acres four miles east of Nauvoo and erected a good brick house. The hate and envy of the enemies of the Church became such, however, that it was necessary for the Saints to leave their beautiful city of Nauvoo and turn their faces westward. David left his property unsold but was well outfitted for the beginning of the journey. While in Nauvoo, David had been ordained an elder by William Smith, brother to the Prophet Joseph Smith (1844). In 1846 he was ordained a high priest and early in that same year they started on their way westward. They went as far west as the Missouri River and made their first camp at Winter Quarters (later known as Florence, Nebraska.) The camp here was divided into wards and David was called to preside over the Third Ward. Crops were raised to provide food for the perilous journey yet to come, for the Rocky Mountains were their destination. Five hundred of their most able-bodied men enlisted in their country’s service in the Mexican War, and their wives and children were left behind for the others to care for. David offered his services but was advised to remain and assist in caring for the needy. The winter of 1846 and the spring of 1847, he was assigned to assist in providing sod-huts and log cabins for the families of the soldiers, the widows and orphans, and to help the sick and succor the destitute, of which there were almost endless numbers. During the Fairbanks family’s stay in Winter Quarters, David’s father died, 28 February 1847. He had been in poor health during much of the journey west from Nauvoo. David’s Wife and scores of others suffered with black-leg and scurvy, owing to the poor diet. There were absolutely no fruits or vegetables to be had. In the spring of 1847, six hundred families were chosen to follow Brigham Young’s company across the Great American Desert. They were to be among the first to travel to “Zion.” David’s family were among those chosen. They traveled in John Taylor’s company, Willard Snow’s fifty, and John B. Fairbanks ten. This company arrived in the Valley of the Great Salt Lake 6 October 1847. Two daughters, Elizabeth Ann (26 February 1848) and Barbara Matilda (22 June 1850) were born in Salt Lake City. When Salt Lake City was laid out into wards, David Fairbanks was called to be the first bishop of the first Ward. Janvarin Dame and Daniel Henry were selected as his counselors. He was one of the first Justices of the Peace elected in Utah and took an active part in many of the stirring events of the early settlement. He was an explorer and pioneer in all that these terms imply. While David Fairbanks was bishop in Salt Lake City, he made a trip back to Fort Laramie with Brigham Young and some of the brethren. In speaking of this trip in some of his notes he says, “I had the pleasure of having Uncle John Young with me in my own wagon.” In those early days shoes became quite a problem. David made himself a pair of boots. The following Sunday he attended services in the Bowery. Orson Pratt was on the stand in his bare feet. He was the speaker. David said he had never heard such an inspired talk. He said he felt so unworthy to sit with his feet clothed and listen to a servant of God delivering such marvelous truths. At the close of the service he waited. As Orson Pratt came down from the platform he asked him if he would accept his boots as a gift, which Brother Pratt gratefully did. David said, “If you will preach the sermons, I will do what I can to provide the boots.” In 1851 David Fairbanks was released from his duties in Salt Lake City as he wanted to locate land elsewhere so that he and his boys could farm. Brigham Young blessed him and promised him that he should never want for bread because of his loyalty and service to the great cause of truth. He and his family went south from Salt Lake City, intending to locate at American Fork, but decided to go as far as Payson. Brother James Pace who was presiding in Payson, was afraid there would not be water enough for more than the sixteen families who were already located there. Since there were four families in David’s company, they went east of Payson and discovered a fine spring of water with a beautiful stream and dam site. The three other families besides David’s were those of his brother, John B. Fairbanks, and of Henry Nebeker and David Crockett. These four families here established a little town and called it Pond Town. The land was excellent, a fine sandy loam, in which they raised beautiful crops. But later, as the Indians became more troublesome, it was thought unwise and unsafe to remain there, so the four families moved into Payson. In later years the name of Pond Town was changed to Salem. At present (1936) there is a beautiful little resort at the pond which is now called Loafer Lake, David undoubtedly skated often on that pond in his day. He was an expert skater, the best in Payson. He could cut his name “David Fairbanks” in the ice as he skated. David settled in Payson and raised his family there. Margarette (25 July 1852) was born in Pond Town. David Brooks (17 August 1853), Joseph Warren (2 January 1856), Ralph Jacobus (26 December 1857), Martha Alice (29 June 1860), Nathaniel (29 March 1863) and Nicholas Jones (25 November 1864) were all born in Payson. Later he acquired a very beautiful farm over the hill northeast of Payson where the family spent many happy days during the summer months, returning to live in town during the winter. He was a splendid provider and there was always plenty of good food in the house - but the sugar bowl was held in great respect. It was always on the table, but the sugar was very seldom used. David Fairbanks and his family were very kind to the Indians in those early days and always had their respect and good will. (The Indians called David “Weeams Monch,” meaning William’s father, and called his wife “Weeams Peage,” meaning William’s mother.) William was the Fairbankses’ oldest son and much loved by the Indians. One time when the Indian were particularly troublesome in the area it was learned that they were going to kill some of the Church authorities, who were in Nephi and preparing to return to Salt Lake City. No one seemed to dare to go to warn them until David Fairbanks volunteered to do so. He rode unmolested through the night. He was told later by Ponewatt, an Indian who was devoted to him, that as he rode along toward Nephi the word passed from watching Indian to watching Indian, “Weeams Monch, don’t shoot!” This same Indian Ponewatt, at one time sold his baby to a band of horse traders for a horse. These traders were on their way to California. Ponewatt’s wife was broken-hearted and came in her grief to tell David’s wife, Susan, about it. Susan Fairbanks sent for Ponewatt. She told him he was a very bad Indian to sell his baby and that because of this he could never come to their house again. In three days Ponewatt was back with his wife and baby. Susan was astonished to see the baby and asked the Indian how he got the baby back. He said he had followed the traders and watched in which tent the baby slept. Then in the night he crept in and stole his baby from the traders. He now wanted her to forgive him and promised that he would never do such a thing again. The fact that Ponewatt still had the trader’s horse didn’t seem to bother him at all. In 1864 David Fairbanks was called to the Muddy Mission, and in February 1865, he joined the settlers who had preceded him to that mission. There he remained two years, when, on account of ill health caused by hardships encountered, he was released. His son, Cornelius, remained until the mission was abandoned. David also filled a short mission to the Eastern States in 1872. He was always a leader. He held the positions of city marshall, school trustee, city counselor, etc. - serving in all these offices without pay. He was also president of the High Priests’ quorum in Payson, having been set apart to this calling in 1860 by Brother John Young. He operated one of the finest farms in the Payson area and held membership in the first Utah Agricultural Society. He often carried his prize products to the territorial fairs in Salt Lake City. But David Fairbanks’s greatest happiness came from serving the LDS Church; he never faltered nor wavered in his testimony or good works. He had been a member of the School of the Prophets in early day Nauvoo, where he learned many of the beautiful truths of the gospel and his duties as a member of the Church. His later years were devoted to Church service and his family. When the Salt Lake Temple was nearing completion, the Saints throughout the Church were urged to do their utmost to provide labor or money for the temple. Brother David Fairbanks continually visited his Quorum members in Payson, urging them to not fall short in their contributions. He was always willing to place his “all” on the altar. In 1890, he was obliged to give up public duties as his health was broken. He died at Payson 14 December 1895 at the age of eighty-five. He was buried in Payson, Utah.

Brief History of Joseph Fairbanks 1778-1847

Contributor: SunnyATB Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Written by a great, great, granddaughter, Kathryn Fairbanks Kirk. Joseph Fairbanks was born in Templeton, Massachusetts on 15 Oc. 1778. He was the only son of Joseph Fairbanks and Asenath Osgood Fairbanks, although they had five daughters. His father was a Revolutionary soldier, having enlisted when he was fifteen years of age. He was also a Minuteman who answered the Lexington alarm in 1775 and the Bennington alarm in 1777. Joseph married Mary (Polly) Brooks on 3 Oct. 1803 in Princeton, Worcester, Massachusetts, or Peru, Bennington, Vermont. Their marriage was the uniting of two fine old New England families. To this couple, thirteen children were born, nine sons and four daughters. Shortly after their marriage, they took up residence in Peru, Bennington, Vermont, where seven of their children were born. Next they moved to Sandy Hill, Warren County, New York, where five more children were born. In the spring of 1826 they moved to Rockaway, Morris County, New Jersey. Here their youngest child, was born. They left there in 1830 and moved to Meads Basin, now known as Mountain View, Bergen County, New Jersey. Joseph, by trade, was a stonemason and contractor. He contracted New Jersey’s Morris Canal which is still in use. In the summer of 1844, Joseph, his wife and five of their children, David, John Boylston, Harriet, Nathaniel and Henry, having embraced Mormonism prior to that time, journeyed by team to Nauvoo, Illinois, which was the headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Because of mob violence and persecution, they left Nauvoo on 25 April, 1846. They journeyed westward, camping for the winter at Winter Quarters, which was located on the Missouri River six miles north of Omaha, Nebraska, the present site of Florence. Because of the severity of the winter, Joseph Fairbanks died on 28 Feb. 1847 and was buried at Winter Quarters. After his death, his widow continued on to Utah with their children. Joseph and Polly’s children who remained in the East never joined the Mormon Church.

Biography of William Henry Fairbanks; author unknown; from the personal records of Merrill Ray Carter

Contributor: SunnyATB Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

William Henry Fairbanks, son of David and [Susan] Fairbanks was born September 12, 1838 at Bergen County, New Jersey. Arrived at Nauvoo, Illinois two days after Joseph Smith was executed. The family moved with the Mormons to Winter Quarters. William was eight years of age the year they spent there. His grandfather died and was buried there. When William was nine years old they started for Utah. He drove his grandmother's oxen and wagon across the plains. This was the second group to cross the plains. They arrived in Salt Lake City [on October 6, 1847.] They lived in Salt Lake until about 1851. While the family was still in Salt Lake City David Fairbanks, William's father, was appointed the first bishop of the first ward formed in Salt Lake. [Nathaniel] Fairbanks, William's uncle, came to Utah with the first group with Brigham Young. He joined the gold rush and went to California in 1849 and several years later he was drowned in the Sacramento River. One other uncle, [Henry Fairbanks] was with the famed Mormon Battalion. William with his family left Salt Lake later in 1851 coming south. Upon arriving in Payson, where they had planned to settle, they found little water. The families that were already there didn't think there was enough to accommodate any more [people], so William and his father started to look for water. They discovered Salem Spring and made the present dam located there. The family moved to Salem and lived there til the Indians ran them out and they returned to Payson. William made three trips across the plains. The first when they came to Utah, the second when he was thirteen years old. He was night herder for the stock with the group who went to rescue the hand cart company that was snow bound. The third was with George Montague. The went to Omaha, Nebraska. They and several other men left in March and returned in September bringing back the first threshing machine. Between trips he was a night guard at the Payson Fort. William married while he was quite young. He and his first wife had one baby, a little girl named Annie. His first wife was Annie Ellsworth. They separated soon after the baby was born and William's mother cared for the baby so the mother [Annie] could get work and support herself. In about 1863 or 1864 he and Sarah Knight were married. She was a widow with two small boys. As a young man William became interested in freighting. With a six span mule team he freighted from Peoche, Nevada to San Diego and from Sacramento to Virginia City, Nevada. In 1868 William went to Sacramento. He later sent for his wife Sarah and she and the family along with two other companies went to California. They returned to Utah in the summer of 1869. William and Sarah had three children, two boys and a girl. They are William Lot Fairbanks born in Payson February 28, 1865; Sarah Matilda Fairbanks born in Payson May 13, 1867 and John Franklin Fairbanks born in Sacramento, March 30, 1869. Soon after he and Sarah returned to Utah they separated and he later married Ann Elizabeth Hardy and they made a home on Peteetneet Hill. They had four children, three boys and one girl; Susan Daisy Fairbanks born March 25, 1879, William Henry, David H and Clarence M Fairbanks. The last twenty years of his life he was blind. Despite his blindness, he was jolly and sociable and interested in what he was doing. He died August 10, 1923 at the age of 85 and is buried in Payson City Cemetery.

DF&SM Story Written by Colleen Keeler Jones

Contributor: SunnyATB Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Story added to FamilySearch Colleen Keeler Jones was my grandmother and the great-granddaughter of David and Susan Fairbanks David Fairbanks and Susan Mandeville were married on 26 November 1838. The couple made their home at Mountain View, or Meads Basin, Passaic County, New Jersey, where their first three children, William Henry, Mary Jane and Cornelius Mandeville Fairbanks were born. It was also there that they first heard the gospel explained by Mormon Elders. David's father, Joseph, had invited the Elders to his home to preach to his family. Susan had heard only ridicule and unfavorable reports of the Mormons and she wondered what her father, (Col. Mandeville), would think if he should learn that they had entertained Mormons. Susan excused herself and took her little baby girl upstairs so that the baby would not disturb the preaching of the Elders and the discussion that followed. By the time the meeting was underway, the baby was asleep. The door leading into the parlor from the hall was open. Susan could plainly hear the voice of the first speaker and her attention was strongly attracted. Taking her knitting, she sat on the top step of the stairway. Being eager to catch every word, Susan leaned forward and the ball of yarn rolled from her lap, down the stairs and into the room where the Elders were preaching. "I could not be found eves-dropping, so I followed the ball down and listened." After a short period of investigation, Susan received a burning testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel and she was the first of the Fairbanks family to be baptized. She was baptized on 18 July 1842 by Elder John Leach. David had said that he was never favorably impressed with any of the doctrines of any faith or denomination, but when he learned the doctrines of Mormonism, he proclaimed, "that was the sweet morsel I was waiting for!" He was baptized 15 March 1843. The baptism day of David's parents, Joseph and Polly, has not been found, they were baptized sometime between July and September of 1842. David's sister, Harriet, and his brothers, John Boylston and Henry, followed David into the waters of baptism on 16 March 1843. Nathanial was baptized in August of 1843. None of the other children of Joseph and Polly were ever baptized. David and Susan could see that it would be difficult for them to continue to live in New Jersey because of the extreme dislike that people there had for the "Mormons". They decided to follow the Prophet Joseph Smith's advise and "Move to Zion". It must have been hard for the Mandevilles to accept Susan's new religious direction. But despite differences of opinion, their love and respect for each other remained. Susan's parents resisted her move to Nauvoo, because it would separate them by such a great distance. They feared that the trip would be a hardship for their daughter who had been raised with all the refinements that could be afforded. Her family sent young Ned, a black slave, to her, to go along to be her servant. She gently explained that there are no slaves in the Kingdom of God, and Ned was returned to the Mandeville household. When Susan bid farewell to her beloved parents, it was the last time that she was to see them in this life. In July 1844, David and Susan sold what properly they owned and moved with their family to Nauvoo, Illinois, along with the other members of the Fairbanks family who had joined the church. Nothing in their experience could have prepared them for the kind of struggles they would encounter, nor the ultimate length of their journey. Their first trial came before they arrived in Nauvoo. A rider, whom they met along the trail, told them of the death of the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother, Hyrum. With heavy hearts they traveled on to Nauvoo. David and Susan were thrilled with the building that was going on in the beautiful city of Nauvoo. Fully expecting to make a permanent adobe in this new area, David purchased a farm of 160 acres four miles east of Nauvoo and erected a good brick house and raised beautiful crops. Susan wrote home that the corn was the most beautiful she had ever seen. David was present at the meeting when Brigham Young was chosen to be Prophet of the church. He was called to work on the temple with all the able bodied male members. He was ordained an Elder by William Smith, brother to the Prophet Joseph Smith. The hate and envy of the enemies of the Church turned into severe persecution and great trials for all "Mormon Saints". It was decided by their leaders that they would have to move westward to avoid extermination. They made necessary preparation to move, but they did not know their destination. David was ordained a High Priest early in 1846. In January of 1846, various rooms of the top floor of the temple were dedicated for the purpose of ordinance work and David and Susan were anxious to receive their endowments and sealing, but they did not have that opportunity for several years, perhaps because Susan was expecting her fourth child any day. Susan Jones Fairbanks was born on February 4, 1846, and on that same day the exodus from Nauvoo began. Two weeks later, in wagons and in the bitter cold, the Fairbanks family joined the exodus from their beautiful city of Nauvoo. David had to leave their property unsold, but he made sure they were properly outfitted. Many valued possessions were left behind as they turned their faces west and began their trek across the "Great American Desert". They had been in Nauvoo just two short years. They crossed the Mississippi on ice and camped with thousands of others, in Sugar Creek in the Iowa Territory, about nine miles from Nauvoo. They spent nearly a month in their camp on Sugar Creek. They could have been housed comfortably in their homes in Nauvoo if it had not been for the fierce hatred of their enemies, who had no regard whatever for their comfort or safety. They had been driven from their homes in midwinter and were exposed to such cold that the Mississippi River froze completely over and deep enough to support a wagon train. The Sugar Creek camp was broken up in March and the Saints made their way across what is now the state of Iowa to the Missouri River. Most of the roads and trails were wet or muddy and nearly impassable, but with each mile these brave and courageous souls tasted the sweet feeling of freedom from hatred and the conviction that a Heavenly Father looks after his people when they obey the direction of their leaders. Sadness and hardship were a part of their daily life and they had to accept it and keep moving. It had been determined by the general authorities that the Rocky Mountains, far to the west, would be the place of refuge for the Saints, however, it was decided the wiser course would be to regroup and wait until spring to go on to the Rocky Mountains. The saints made camp along the Missouri River, on both sides, near Council Bluffs, Iowa. The Fairbanks family joined saints in a camp, on a high plateau overlooking the Missouri River, which was given the name of "Winter Quarters". It is now called Florence, Kansas. It was while in Winter Quarters that the patriarch of the Fairbanks family, father Joseph, who had invited the missionaries to his home to preach the gospel to his family, died. He was buried there with many other great and faithful members. The City of Winter Quarters was divided into thirteen Wards, and a Bishop was appointed to preside over the spiritual and temporal needs of the members of each ward. By the end of the winter of 1846 the number of wards had increased to twenty-two. David Fairbanks was ordained Bishop of the Eighth Ward. The first time Susan Mandeville Fairbanks went to church in Winter Quarters, she wore her beautiful silk clothes and fine bonnet. When she saw the destitute condition of the clothing of many of the sisters she was ashamed to be dressed in such finery. She went home, took off her silk clothes and put them away, never to be worn by her again. Long after the family arrived in Utah the dresses were made over into lovely clothes for her daughters. Food and medical supplies became scarce and sickness was rampant among the camps. Many were near starvation. The Bishops saw to it that everyone shared what they had, and all suffered alike from lack of fruits and vegetables. The Bishops were also kept very busy burying the dead and comforting those who remained. In the spring of 1847, six hundred families were chosen to follow Brigham Young's company across the desert. David and Susan and their family were to be among the first to travel to "Zion". They traveled in John Taylor's company, Willard Snow's fifty, and John B. Fairbanks's ten. This company arrived in the Valley of the Great Salt Lake on October 6, 1847. David's brother Nathaniel was with Brigham Young's company which arrived on July 24, 1847. David was called to be the first Bishop of the First Ward in Salt Lake City. He was one of the first Justices of the Peace elected in Utah and took an active part in most of the stirring events of the early settlement. He was an explorer and pioneer in all that these term imply. Susan gave birth to two daughters in Salt Lake City. They were, Elizabeth Ann and Barbara Matilda. In 1851 David was called by Brigham Young, as were many Bishops, to move to Utah Valley and colonize a new area, where he could have a farm and build a home for his growing family. Brigham Young gave him a blessing and promised him that he should never want for bread because of his loyalty and service to the great cause of truth. David and Susan's family, their aging mother, Polly Brooks Fairbanks, and the family of John Boylston and Sarah Fairbanks settled Pond Town, (now Salem, Utah), but because of problems with the Indians, they moved to Payson, Utah. It was in Payson that rest of their seven children were born. They were: Margarette, David Brooks, Joseph Warrne, Ralph Jacobus, Martha Alice, (our Grandmother and Great Grandmother), Nathaniel, and Nicholas Jones Fairbanks. David and Susan, finally, received their long-awaited endowments and were sealed on March 28, 1867. They traveled to the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. It had been twenty-one years since they left Nauvoo. David died in Payson on December 14, 1895, at the age of 85. Susan followed him in death four years later, on March 2, 1899. They are buried in the Payson City Cemetery. There is so much more to the history of these wonderful convert and pioneer grandparents. Their history parallels the history of the Church and of the State of Utah. Many more exciting stories and adventures can be found in two books: "The Fairbanks Family in the West" by Kathryn Fairbanks Kirk, and "Build Thee More Stately …" compiled by Daniel Mandeville Keeler, a Grandson of David and Susan Fairbanks.

Life timeline of William David Fairbanks

William David Fairbanks was born on 14 Mar 1810
William David Fairbanks was 16 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
William David Fairbanks was 22 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
William David Fairbanks was 30 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
William David Fairbanks was 49 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
William David Fairbanks was 51 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
William David Fairbanks was 65 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
William David Fairbanks was 75 years old when Louis Pasteur successfully tests his vaccine against rabies on Joseph Meister, a boy who was bitten by a rabid dog. Louis Pasteur was a French biologist, microbiologist and chemist renowned for his discoveries of the principles of vaccination, microbial fermentation and pasteurization. He is remembered for his remarkable breakthroughs in the causes and prevention of diseases, and his discoveries have saved many lives ever since. He reduced mortality from puerperal fever, and created the first vaccines for rabies and anthrax. His medical discoveries provided direct support for the germ theory of disease and its application in clinical medicine. He is best known to the general public for his invention of the technique of treating milk and wine to stop bacterial contamination, a process now called pasteurization. He is regarded as one of the three main founders of bacteriology, together with Ferdinand Cohn and Robert Koch, and is popularly known as the "father of microbiology".
William David Fairbanks died on 14 Dec 1896 at the age of 86
Grave record for William David Fairbanks (14 Mar 1810 - 14 Dec 1896), BillionGraves Record 1166870 Payson, Utah, Utah, United States