William Clyde Gourley

24 Nov 1895 - 29 Dec 1960

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

William Clyde Gourley

24 Nov 1895 - 29 Dec 1960
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Summary LaVern Gourley Johnson McClellan, age 68, died April 25, 1992 in a Salt Lake hospital after a courageous battle with cancer for many years. Born January 28, 1924 in Springville, Utah to William Clyde and Bessie Averett Gourley. Married Bishop Delbert Leon Johnson; he died November 21, 1964.

Life Information

William Clyde Gourley

Married: 11 Oct 1922

Evergreen Cemetery

1876-1998 North 2000 West
Springville, Utah, Utah
United States


Children; Jane--Lois--Lavern--Wilma


June 27, 2011


April 10, 2020


April 21, 2020

Aunty Bec

April 7, 2020


April 8, 2020


April 15, 2020


June 26, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone

  • Bessie Averett Gourley
    Buried here
    23 Feb 1897 - 25 Apr 1983
  • Jane Gourley
    Others not buried here
  • Lois Gourley
    Others not buried here
  • Lavern Gourley
    Others not buried here
  • Wilma Gourley
    Others not buried here

Relationships added by users


Grave Site of William Clyde


William Clyde Gourley is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



William Clyde Gourley - Find a Grave.com + Obituary Springville Herald

Contributor: crex Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

William Clyde Gourley - Find a Grave.com Birth: Nov. 24, 1895 Goshen Utah County Utah, USA Death: Dec. 29, 1960 Salt Lake City Salt Lake County Utah, USA Family links: Spouse: Bessie Averett Gourley (1897 - 1983)* Children: Lavern Gourley Mcclellan (1924 - 1992)* *Calculated relationship Burial: Evergreen Cemetery Springville Utah County Utah, USA Plot: Sec. A Lot 27 Pos. 4 Springville Herald - Springville Man Dies in Vet Hospital. William Clyde Gourley, 65, died Thursday evening at the Veterans Hospital in Salt Lake City following a long illness. He was born Nov. 24, 1895, in Goshen a son of George and Minnie Rose Finch Gourley. He received his education and spent his early life in Silver City and Goshen. He married Bessie Averett on Oct. 11, 1922, in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. He was a member of the LDS Church holding the office of Elder. During his life he was employed by the U>S. Forest Service and as an Iron worker and construction worker. A veteran of World War 1, He was a member of the American Legion. Surviving are his widow of Springville; parents of Brigham City; six daughters, Mrs. Dan (Jane) Evans and Desmond (Virginia) Geslinson, Spanish Fork; Mrs. D.V. (Lois) Montague, Billings, Mont.; Mrs Delbert (LaVern) Johnson, Salt Lake City; Mrs. Art (Wilma) Meredith, Orem; Mrs. Thomas (Margaret Varney, New York; 18 grandchildren; a great-grandchild; two brothers and a sister, Ira Gourley, Ogden; Roland Gourley, Brigham City; Mrs. R.V. (Eva) Sorenson, LaCanada, Calif. Funeral services will be conducted Monday at 1pm in the Springville Fifth - Seventh LDS Ward Chapel under the direction of Bishop Leonard James of the Fifth Ward. Friends may call at the Wheeler Mortuary Sunday from 7 to 9 pm, or Monday prior to services. Burial will be in the Springville Evergreen Cemetery with military rites by American Legion Post No. 28 of Springville. (Added by Debbie Anderson) Find a Grave.com - Maintained by: Rose Wright Originally Created by: Utah State Historical So... Record added: Feb 02, 2000 Find A Grave Memorial# 134995

Jane Benson Evans Obituary with pictures,more info.

Contributor: crex Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Birth: Apr. 6, 1915 Death: Dec. 15, 2006 OBITUARY: Born in Springville, Utah. Daughter of James D. Benson and Bessie Averett Benson. Married Daniel R. Evans October 10, 1932 in Springville, Utah. Marriage solemnized in the Manti LDS Temple May 22, 1965. Attend schools in Bingham, Tremonton and Springville, Utah. Employed at Del Monte Cannery, along with husband. Also employed in the school lunch program. Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving as an officer in the Primary organization. Member of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers Desert Flower Camp. Lived in Spanish Fork her entire married life. Found great joy and pride in her family. Three sons: Allen D. (Stella), Blaine (Linda), and Gary (Cheryl); son-in law Robert Lewis; sister Wilma Meredith; 22 grandchildren, 78 great grandchildren, and 10 great, great grandchildren survive. Predeceased by parents, husband, their daughter JoAnn, a granddaughter, a great granddaughter, a grandson and two sisters. BIOGRAPHICAL: * Her parents divorced when she was a small child. She had very few memories of him, except that on several occasions she saw him drive by her new house to watch her play. * Her mother remarried a good man, Clyde Gourley, and felt like she owed him a debt of gratitude for raising her like she was his own. * She loved her three sisters. They were very close and supportive. Later in life, they planned lots of get togethers for their children and grandchildren. * Growing up in Springville, she had lots of Barker and Averett relatives close. * Worked summers at the Del Monte plant. * Sewed very well. Made all of daughter's, JoAnn, clothes. * Quilted very well. Made a full sized quilt for all nineteen grandchildren. * Was a very thoughtful gift giver. Held family get togethers in holidays. *Was a hard worker and a fast worker. Lived life at a fast pace--rushed around and got lots done. * Loved a bargain. Bought only on sale. Remembered the prices of everything she ever purchased, and rehearsed it to her friends on the telephone. * Totally involved in her family. Didn't have interests outside of children, husband, and their farm and home. * Humble. * Described by JoAnn as the most selfless person she had ever known. * Loved taking care of grandchildren. Had close relationships with them. Treated them to special things that she wouldn't have given herself, like sugar cereal and penny candy from Dick's Grocery. *Served in the Primary for several years and as a visiting teaching supervisor for many years. Loved talking on the phone, but never said "good-bye", just hung up. Talked fast. * She was really proud of her pioneer ancestry and told grandchildren stories of their faith. Family links: Parents: James Delillian Benson (1896 - ____) Bessie Averett Gourley (1897 - 1983) Spouse: Daniel Rodger Evans (1910 - 1993) Children: JoAnn Evans Lewis (1942 - 2004)* *Calculated relationship Burial: Spanish Fork City Cemetery Spanish Fork Utah County Utah, USA Maintained by: ValerieC Originally Created by: John Warnke (inactive) Record added: Jan 07, 2007 Find A Grave Memorial# 17341142 Jane Benson Evans Added by: ValerieC Jane Benson Evans Added by: Anonymous Jane Benson Evans Added by: ValerieC There is 1 more photo not showing... Click here to view all images... Photos may be scaled. Click on image for full size. - LFB Added: Jan. 21, 2009 ***************************************************************************

Lois Benson Montague Obituary

Contributor: crex Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Lois Gourley Montague 1919 ~ 2005 Lois Gourley Montague, age 86, of Orem, passed away Sunday, July 10, 2005. She was born February 3, 1919 in Springville, Utah to William Clyde and Bessie Averett Gourley. She married David Vernile "Pete" Montague on August 13, 1938 in Springville, Utah. Their marriage was later solemnized in the Salt Lake Temple September 12, 1961. He preceded her in death May 26, 1985. Lois lived most of her life in Billings, MT, Ogden and Salt Lake City, Utah. She made many quilts for babies at Primary Children's Medical Center and the University of Utah. She was a member of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. She is survived by two sisters: Jane Evans of Spanish Fork; Wilma (Art) Meredith of Orem; and extended family with numerous nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by one sister, LaVern Johnson. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Saturday, July 16, 2005 at Wheeler Mortuary, 211 East 200 South in Springville. There will be a viewing held at the mortuary Friday evening from 6 to 8 p.m. and Saturday one hour prior to the services. Burial will be in the Springville Evergreen Cemetery. Special thanks to Orchard Park Care Center for the care given to Lois. Condolences may be sent at. (Deseret News Obituary - July 14, 2005)

LaVern Johnson McClellan's Obituary 1992

Contributor: crex Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Summary LaVern Gourley Johnson McClellan, age 68, died April 25, 1992 in a Salt Lake hospital after a courageous battle with cancer for many years. Born January 28, 1924 in Springville, Utah to William Clyde and Bessie Averett Gourley. Married Bishop Delbert Leon Johnson; he died November 21, 1964. Married Hugh D. McClellan. Active member of the LDS Church, she served many years as ward librarian, as a dedicated visiting teacher and was active in doing temple work up until the day she died. Her beautiful flower garden brought joy to LaVern Gourley Johnson McClellan, age 68, died April 25, 1992 in a Salt Lake hospital after a courageous battle with cancer for many years. Born January 28, 1924 in Springville, Utah to William Clyde and Bessie Averett Gourley. Married Bishop Delbert Leon Johnson; he died November 21, 1964. Married Hugh D. McClellan. Active member of the LDS Church, she served many years as ward librarian, as a dedicated visiting teacher and was active in doing temple work up until the day she died. Her beautiful flower garden brought joy to many.The family wishes to thank the doctors and nurses that gave great care and love to their wife and mother, Dr. Difiores and his nurse Carol; Drs' Keller, Rasmussen, Voorhees, Litton, and Wilcox, and nurses, Sonni Lloyd, Julie Duerden, Kara Segalla, and Diana Jackman. Survived by husband; one son and five daughters, Delbert Ray Johnson, Salt Lake; Barbara Ostler, Orem; Patricia J. Troff, So. Jordan; Janet Johnson, Salt Lake; Karen Linton, Taylorsville; Jeana Kay Bruse, Draper; 34 grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; three sisters, Jane Evans, Lois Montague; and Wilma Meredith. Funeral services will be held Tuesday, 11:00 a.m., in the Millcreek 8th Ward, 4600 South 600 East. Friends may call Monday, 6-8 p.m. at Jenkins-Soffe Mortuary, 4760 South State, and Tuesday at the church from 10-10:45 a.m. Interment, Springville Everygreen Cemetery. T 4/26 N 4/26 (This is from the Deseret News in Salt Lake City, Sunday April 26, 1992.)

Memories of Grandma Bessie Averett

Contributor: crex Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Memories of My Grandmother – Bessie Averett Benson Gourley Many happy memories are with my kind and loving Grandmother Bessie Averett. She was always so positive, great faith was her legacy and every time we would visit her she would tell us about faith-promoting experiences that had happened in the family. Many close to home and some of pioneers. Growing up in a family where people all around me were seeing Angels, visions, spiritual experiences all the time—was a great way to grow up. This is not surprising since both my mother LaVern Gourley Johnson and my father Delbert L. Johnson's lines both run into Joseph Smith's lines. We found this out by going to relationship finder, that we go to Lucy Mack Smith and Emma Smith. Also, that we are related to eight prophets—Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley, Jeffery R. Holland, James Faust, and others. Bessie grew up in a large family who were faithful and devoted to God and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Their ancestors, were pioneers who came across the plains. Fourteen families that are related to me had property in Nauvoo. We are related to Aaron Johnson who settled Springville, Utah; and the Averetts, Masons, Bensons, Gourleys, Barkers, Hones, Miners, Birds, Evans, Bakers, Pres. Harold Bingham Lee and many others. Her parents were George Edward Averett and Mary Alice Mason. They had sixteen children, most who lived, but a couple died at birth. When George E. Averett went up the Hobble Creek Canyon to check the cattle the rain had washed out part of the road and the wagon wheel slipped as the wagon rolled down the mountain. When they found George and took him home, the doctor arrived and pronounced him dead. All the relatives were there mourning. After several hours—he sat up and told them that he had gone to heaven and asked Heavenly Father if he could come back and raise his children—he was granted this request. He told his family how wonderful and beautiful heaven is—with flowers of many brilliant colors, and several different colors on each stem. Many more things he told them of the glories in heaven and the radiance of Heavenly Father and Christ. At the end of his life—George E. Averett was helping a friend move a house and the electric wires caught the top of the roof and he was electrocuted—and this was now his time to return to God. Bessie was called the “Sunshine Lady” in Springville because she was always pleasant, kind and loving, encouraging and uplifting people. Her church calling was Compassionate Service and sending out cards for those in ward and family at times of birthdays or other events in their lives. She always had a house full of people who dropped in to visit and enjoy her friendship. You can imagine with so many siblings and relatives—who were close and connected spiritually and emotionally to each other that they had lots of family get-togethers as well as reunions, church and town events—there was always a lot going on. She married James Delilian Benson when she was Seventeen and he was about 18 years. They were so happy together and had two children together—Jane Benson Evans and Lois Benson Montague. Bessie and James would laugh and play with the children. He would swing and twirl her around on the lawn and had so many happy memories and times together. The Great Depression came and work was very scarce and James was not able to find a job to support his family. The only thing he knew what to do was to make corn liquor in the woods and sold it to a lady in Salt Lake City who owned a brothel. Bessie found out about it and thought, “Well if I go home to live with my parents a couple of days, then he will stop doing that.” But James was hurt that she would leave him—so he took off to find a decent job to support his family. He went to another state and saved a large amount of money to bring home. But this took him two years. He never thought to write to her in all that time, but thought to come home and surprise her. During this time her parents really thought he was dead because he had not written to her. They wanted her to get married again. Bessie felt she was a burden to them in the house since they had such a large family. She was encouraged to marry William Clyde Gourley, as a means to support her and her two children. Bessie eventually gave in and married Clyde Gourley, which was a much more challenging marriage and lacking the great love and relationship she had had with James D. Benson. They had two more children named LaVern and Wilma. James Delillian Benson came home soon after Bessie was married again, wanted to see her and support his children—but George would not even let her talk to him. This broke both their hearts—Bessie and James. He was not even allowed to see his children. Bessie was kind and spiritual in nature and very devoted to God and the Church, while George was more stern and logical. She tried to make the best of the situation and create the happiest home and environment that she could for her family and children. While Clyde worked at Ironton Steele Plant scrapping out the insides of the black smoke stacks, which from this eventually he got 'black lung disease'. He was in a comma for about ten years in the Veteran’s Hospital in SLC. The family had a couple of fasts that he would pass on since he was not conscious all at this time. My parents would go visit him even though he was not aware they were there. In 1960 he died and went on to his eternal rest. Lois Benson hired a professional genealogist to try to track down her father James Delillian Benson, and to get his temple work done. There were so many happy memories when going to visit Grandma Bessie Averett. It was always fun and joyful to go visit her or spend a few days at her home. She would tell us lots of spiritual experiences and true stories that had happened in the family, and among relatives and ancestors. This fired our souls with a great love of God and how God blesses and helps each of us in our lives. Her faith and testimony continually to us, resulted in developing our own testimonies and faith in God. This I will always be grateful to her for her wonderful influence in my life, and all of our lives. I wish I had been able to go visit her and talk to her before I got married because she had great wisdom and I know that I would have made a much better decisions and choices just by talking with her. A great memory for all of us are Christmas Eve get togethers at Grandma's house. Grandma Bessie would have a fine dinner with a turkey and all the trimmings. Each family would contribute to this delightful dinner and occasion together. She would be so happy to have her family there and play all kinds of games with the grandchildren—pop-goes-the-weasel, pick-up-sticks, ring-around-the-rosie, and other games. A special delight that is joyful in our memories are the birds in cages on her tree--which would sing beautiful songs and chirping. This was something we had never seen or heard about before, which we loved watching them. When all her children would come with the grandchildren at Christmas Eve—we would sleep on beds that covered he whole floor in the front room and dinning room. Adults got to sleep on the couch hide-a-beds. Whispers of excitement over Santa coming, singing songs and wonders of being together with so many loved ones around us filled our hearts with joy. In the morning Grandma would always come in and ask if we heard the bells on the roof-top during the night. With excitement we would pass out presents and watch as they were opened one at a time. Cheering and congratulating each other as children do—created great memories in our hearts. Lots of hugs and kisses as we were always reluctant to leave and go home—but joy and happiness filling out hearts and memories. Grandma Bessie loved to teach us to work. She would at times have us take everything out of her cupboards, clean the shelves and put everything back in neatly. She would at times have us irrigate her yard, which she did twice a week. Actually it was a lot of fun and we loved to be there at those times. We got to shovel water running over the grass onto the higher parts of the yard to make sure all the flowers and bushes got their share of water. There would at times be a muskrat come down the ditch and once she hit one with a shovel. The large apricot tree was a delight to pick every year and she would bottle fruit for all the family. This tree had a swing hanging from a branch and we spent many hours as children out there. There was a peach tree that my mother planted a pit when she was a child, we enjoyed picking and eating those also. There was a field of real peppermint and grandma would give us a kettle of hot water and we would have tea parties on a blanket in the yard making our own peppermint drinks. Memories of the old wringer washing machine on the front porch was a novelty and new experience for us. I was always concerned to be careful that I did not get my fingers in the rollers. But a lot of fun to try this ancient way of washing, as I thought. It was always fun to help grandma, no matter what we were doing. She was just fun to be around and it always cheered our hearts. There were some small mice that were just born and still blind, which she found in the house. She gave us a match box and some cotton and let us keep them as pets for awhile. We fed them milk with a dropper and thought they were so cute and fun. Always she like to let us have pets. Once my parents gave us a rabbit for Easter and after a few months it became pretty large. So we brought it to Grandma to give to one of her relatives, as several of them had farms. While she still had it in a cage in your back yard, she felt sorry for it being in a cage and would let it out in her yard. Then she would run around and catch it again for the night, which was quite a chore as she had long scratches all down her arms from the rabbit trying to stay free and not to go back into the cage. We would go on walks around Springville with her to visit many of her relatives, friends, see nature and the flowers, or enjoy the beautiful mountains. Sometimes we would go to reunions up in the canyons with them. Often there were reunions in a ward house, dinner for all, talent shows, lots of hugs, kisses, greetings of friends and dancing for everyone. It did not matter if you danced with a child, girls together or anyone. My father only knew one step and he danced it to every song. The band was several relatives who loved to play music and loved participating. These were truly happy times and lots of fun. My father said that he had no happy memories from his childhood, because his father was an alcoholic and the family traveled town to town finding work. My father only got to go to school through 6th grade, because he had to work to give money to his mother for food for the family. (So my parents goal was to make sure that their children had lots of happy memories of their growing up years, which we really did have. They took us to a musical singing and dancing movie at the Avalon each week, also out to a restaurant to eat, rides in the canyon, camping, hiking, fishing about two Saturdays a month. We went to every circus, fireworks, or major event in SLC or Springville. Plus at least once a month a reunion with my mother and her sisters or relatives.) Every year we would all go to Disney Land, Pacific Ocean Park, Sea World, Knotts Berry Farm, Farmer's Market, San Francisco, the Big Rock Candy Mountain and Yellowstone National Park. Always going along the ocean coast to watch for whales, swim in the ocean and run on the beach and see the most possible. Letting the children have lots of fun experiences. All along the way we would visit relatives and have lots of fun. Grandma Bessie would wake up every day at 4 am and read the Book of Mormon and scriptures. As a result of this she developed a photographic mind and memory. Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley at a fireside said, “I promise you that if you will memorize one scripture a day—you will develop 'a perfect mind and memory'”. Then Pres. Monson got up and said, “Well, I promise you that you will develop a photographic mind and memory—if you will memorize two scriptures a day”. Grandma read the scriptures so much that those promises really came upon her. She had all the relatives addresses, phone numbers, zip codes and family member's names memorized. She also had all of hundreds of genealogy lines, dates, places and etc. memorized. When I was a teenager I went and stayed a month and copied by hand all of her genealogy records. The records were about 3 inches high when I got finished, and these were the long ordinance sheets. Though Grandma Bessie lived in a modest home and lived on only $88.00 a month, she would always sent us to the store to buy what we liked of cereal, treats and etc. that we wanted. I am not sure how she did this. Root beer making time was fun also, with the bottles capped and put in the root cellar to season. But the yeast taste was way to strong for me, I liked the peppermint drinks. Most of her life she had an out-house in the back yard. My father built her an inside bath room, tub, sink and all—she just loved it. Then she was able to take a bath without heating water to pour into a tub. Everybody loved Grandma Bessie because she loved everyone, was kind, loving, positive and spiritual. Grandma would send my mother all over the hills to gather herbs for her and her mother Mary Mason Averett, so they could make medicines to use in midwifery, helping to birth children. Whenever my mother would go hiking with us she would be pointing to and naming the names of flowers and plants to us. This is something I wish I had paid more attention to. Grandma would do the same thing. Every week or two she would go clean Uncle John's house, who was quite elderly and alone. Once she took me to a quilting bee in a pioneer home and lots of women working and laughing a lot. I went to the same Grand elementary school in Springville, Utah that my mother and my grandmother went to, which is quite unusual I think. When I had lunch time at school, I would go to Grandma's house, which was just a block away. She would feed me a sandwich and teach me how to sew. The first thing she had me sew was an apron with a tulip on the pocket. We had lots of talks and happy times during lunch breaks. Grandma Bessie had several important visions. She saw Angels and ancestors and they spoke to her and told her things. She saw Jerry while he was being born, but he appeared as two years old and told her not to worry about Wilma, his mother, that things would turn out OK. She saw others of her grandchildren before they were born. She told us about lots of spiritual experiences with relatives and ancestors. Her father George Edward Averett had a whole book full of Spiritual experiences and taught his children to love God, be faithful, keep commandments and stay close to the Spirit and God. She was eighty-eight years old and she still had so much energy. She told me she felt just the same at that age as when she was a teenager. Grandma always reminded me of the Beverly Hillsberry grandma who had so much energy and enthusiasm in life. She climbed the ladder and picked apricots to bottle food for the family. She sent a lot of jars to my family, many of them were sugar free with some vinegar used as preservative, with the natural juices of the fruits. She would cut out poems from newspapers or ward bulletins and send them to me and other grandchildren. She would always send us a birthday card and letters with personal information and care, always saying things to make us feel like we were very special to her and loved. One great memory was how Grandma would let us bring lots of boxes out of the wash-house she used for storage. She would let us bring all her boxes of cereal, canned food, and things out of her cupboard in the house out and play store with it all. The only thing was when we were done playing, we had to put all the food, boxes and things back in the house or wherever it belonged. Now I am thinking, maybe this was a way to teach us to work and to clean up and put things away after we finished a project. Grandma Bessie loved her beautiful flowers, fruit trees, gardens and grass and able to enjoy being out in nature a lot. She would say, “I wish one of my grandchildren could have this property, apricot tree and places to play. But her daughters sold the house and split the money to use on their newer homes. She was the person I could talk to best in all my life, as she would show me how to look at things the way other people might see things, or how they might feel. She seemed to understand whatever you were feeling or talking about. She was a great treasure in our lives and we will always love her forever.

Life timeline of William Clyde Gourley

William Clyde Gourley was born on 24 Nov 1895
William Clyde Gourley was 13 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
William Clyde Gourley was 16 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
William Clyde Gourley was 25 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
William Clyde Gourley was 44 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
William Clyde Gourley was 50 years old when World War II: Hiroshima, Japan is devastated when the atomic bomb "Little Boy" is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
William Clyde Gourley was 57 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
William Clyde Gourley died on 29 Dec 1960 at the age of 65
Grave record for William Clyde Gourley (24 Nov 1895 - 29 Dec 1960), BillionGraves Record 28204 Springville, Utah, Utah, United States