William Buckley

28 Nov 1838 - 28 Nov 1920

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

William Buckley

28 Nov 1838 - 28 Nov 1920
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Corrections are in brackets. William Buckley died on 82nd birthday on Provo. William Buckley passed away Sunday at his home in the Fourth Ward where he has lived for forty years. Yesterday was his birthday and he was born 82 years ago in Nottinghamshire [Derbyshire] England. He came to this state wi

Life Information

William Buckley


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


June 6, 2011

Aunty Bec

April 4, 2020


June 5, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of William


William Buckley is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



William Buckley's Obituary Nov. 29, 1920, Provo Herald

Contributor: jbozzo Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Corrections are in brackets. William Buckley died on 82nd birthday on Provo. William Buckley passed away Sunday at his home in the Fourth Ward where he has lived for forty years. Yesterday was his birthday and he was born 82 years ago in Nottinghamshire [Derbyshire] England. He came to this state with the pioneer settlers in 1871 and has lived in the Provo Fourth Ward for forty years. [Part of the time ward boundary changes put him in the Pleasant View Ward.] He was prominent in many of the activities of this community and has been a faithful church worker and has done much to help give this city the splendid reputation which she now has as one of the leading musical centers of the west. He was one of the first pioneer settlers to bring music to this valley. More that 46 years ago the late Mrs. Buckley purchased an organ for him which he was in the habit of taking to the old tabernacle on Sundays and playing same for the accompaniment of the singing. He helped erect the Knight Woolen Mills and was foreman of the spinning room for more than 30 years. He was a faithful father, a noble citizen and one of the pioneer builders of the Garden City. He was loved by all who knew him and was a most excellent citizen and a splendid Christian worker. About four weeks ago Mr. Buckley fell and injured his knee and this together with general debility was the cause of his death. He leaves eight children, 25 grandchildren and ten great grandchildren. The children are Mrs. Leo H. Bean, Ernest F. Buckley, John S. Buckley, Albert E. Buckley, Mrs. Fred Richan, Miss Florence Buckley, Mrs. Clark Newell, and Mrs. L.D. Stewart. The funeral will be held in the Fourth Ward meeting house.

A Day in the Life of Provo 4th Ward, 1910

Contributor: jbozzo Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

It was the Sabbath, May 1, 1910. Members of the Provo 4th Ward had come to their ward house in Provo to worship in the regular monthly fast and testimony meeting. At 1:00 that afternoon, Bishop Alfred L. Booth called the meeting to order. It was only the third fast and testimony meeting that William Ashworth had ever recorded. He had been sustained as ward clerk the previous February, replacing James A. Oliver, who had served in the position for over a decade. Ashworth, 65, was still trying to find his own style. Oliver had jotted down notes and then typed them out after the meeting was over on loose pages of lined legal-sized paper. Ashworth never typed out his minutes. He was, nevertheless, a sturdy speller and a man of administrative talent. Born in industrial Lancashire, Ashworth emigrated to Utah while he was still a child. His family settled in Beaver. He later returned to England as a missionary, and after returning to Utah, made a living superintending the Beaver Woolen Factory. In those days, the largest wool factory in Utah was in Provo. It made sense that Ashworth would want to move up. In the early 1890s he moved up the road to Provo, where he became manager of the Provo Milling and Manufacturing Company, over which a young Reed Smoot, the future apostle, was president. Ashworth wrote his minutes in ink in a flowing cursive hand. He wrote on the same paper Oliver used and adjoined his pages with Oliver’s typed pages. Together, these loose pages were later bound together as part of a running record of the ward’s activities. Ashworth’s method seemed fine with Bishop Booth, a Provo attorney. Booth, 45, was married to Ashworth’s daughter, May. The two men understood one another; Booth could see no reason why Ashworth could not imprint his own style onto the minutes. One thing remained constant between the two clerks. Oliver often wrote a line or two summarizing what each of the testimony bearers said every month. Ashworth carried on the tradition. The lines weren’t so much a summary of the content as an expression of the heart or spirit of the person. It said a lot about a person simply to note that they stood and bore testimony of the Gospel. May Ashworth Booth, the bishop’s wife and the clerk’s daughter, was the first to stand that day. Ashworth’s spare minutes read: she “bore her testimony, was thankful for the blessings of hearth enjoyed [by] herself and family.” That was the entire summary. (He wrote "hearth" but may have meant "health.") He lavished no more attention on preserving his daughter’s words than he did anyone else’s in the ward. Mary Ann Anderson, 35, stood next. A widow of two years, she had her hands full in raising five young children alone. She must have been grateful for all the church was doing to help raise these children. She “was also glad to be present,” Ashworth wrote, “and wondered if we appreciate the privileges and blessings we enjoy. We should be more sympathetic toward each other—and encourage each other more.” One wonders if there was any regret in these words. Did Anderson wish she had said more encouraging words to husband before he died suddenly at the age of 48? William Buckley, 71, an old-time British emigrant who lived on 9th north and Academy (later University) Ave, wanted to “corroborate” the testimony of Sister Anderson. “We should always do good,” he said, “and show acts of kindess to our fellow man.” The congregation knew Buckley as a man who loved to sing the hymns. On another occasion, he told the ward that he took “great pleasure” both in reading the “songs of Zion” and in singing them. He thought the Psalms, in particular, were “the most beautiful sentiments.” Then it was the turn of the aged sister from Wales. Ashworth may not have known her first name; he simply called her “Sister Monk.” She was, in any case, “thankful for the knowledge she had of the Gospel.” James A. Oliver, the former clerk, stood next. By day he worked as the superintendent of the Utah County Infirmary. Oliver “desired that he might enjoy the spirit of the Lord. He rejoiced in the Gospel and encouraged all to be faithful and live worthily of the blessings of the Lord.” During this period of Mormon history, it was not customary for children and youth to stand in fast and testimony meeting, as they do today. Only adults bore testimony on this day. Hugh Holdaway, 23, was the youngest speaker. A newlywed of 8 months, he was also a student at BYU, which was then located exclusively on the Academy (now Provo City Library) block of Provo but was soon to expand to its present location on the crest of what locals called "Temple Hill." Holdaway spoke as a young man whose faith was growing and whose life was just beginning to take off. He “bore his testimony and hoped to continue faithful.” By this point, Ashworth had caught the spirit of the meeting and felt moved to stand up and say a few words. There may have been a lag in the testimonies, prompting Ashworth to step in the fill the space. “Bro. Wm Ashworth,” he wrote of himself after he sat down, “felt desirous of appreciating the blessings of health enjoyed.” By 1910, temperance reform was a topic on the lips of many people. Many U.S. states had already gone dry, and some people in Utah—most vociferously Apostle Heber J. Grant—argued that it was an embarrassment that the Beehive State had not done the same. The state legislature had just finished months of heated debate on this issue, with the local option position—that communities should make their own prohibition laws—winning out. It would be another half dozen years before Utah would pass statewide prohibition as a run-up to nation-wide prohibition. William Ashworth’s testimony reflected these debates. He clearly favored temperance reform, though whether the local option or statewide prohibition is not clear from the minutes. (Latter-day Saints were divided on this issue.) He “said how much better the world of mankind would be providing they were all as good as the Latterday Saints [at] present are (with all our weaknesses and they are many). There would be no saloons, no houses of ill fame and other faults practiced by the people of the world.” After Ashworth sat down, Sarah Baker, 55, came to the front. She, like Ashworth, was an English convert and an emigrant. She was also a widowed mother of ten. She appears to have held nothing against God for her lot. Ashworth said she spoke “of the goodness of the Lord unto her.” Elias Gee, 41, spoke next. Ashworth had Gee saying that he “rejoiced in the work of the Lord." Gee and his wife Frances were both second-generation Mormons who had been born and raised in Provo. They had known tragedy, but like many Mormons their age, they had known less of it than their parents' generation had. Gee had steady work as a clerk at the church's mercantile outfit (ZCMI). He “did not think there was another [people] in the world that were more comfortably situated as a whole than were the Latter-day Saints,” he said on another occasion. Elias and Frances were the parents of seven children, just one of whom had already died (at the age of 2). As scientists found vaccinations for age-old epidemics like small pox and diphtheria, younger families like the Gees were beginning to see fewer childhood deaths. The Gees' other six children were all under eighteen and still lived with their parents. It was must have been a very busy time for the Gees. Elias Gee “was glad,” he said, that “he had received such good counsel he had received [sic] from his parents.” William Ashworth did not record what that counsel was. Gee's parents, George and Sophina Gee, were longtime Provo residents who would have been known to many in the audience. Moreover, Frances' parents, James and Harriet Bean, were members of the Provo 4th Ward. Elias Gee's reference to "parents" may have encompassed both sets of parents. His reference to the "good counsel" he had been given was a public tribute to the older generation who had shaped the man he had become. Mormon wards in this period often sang a hymn in the middle of testimony meeting, breaking up the testimonies, which tended to go on longer than the usual hour and ten minutes allotted to the meeting today. On this day, the rest hymn seems to have come rather late. After the congregation sang “The Spirit of God like a Fire Is Burning,” Emma Westerman Ashworth arose. She was the last testimony of the day. Emma Ashworth was William’s wife. Like her husband, she was born in England, in Nottingham, converted to the church, and emigrated to Zion. Emma Ashworth was not, however, the mother of May Ashworth Booth, the wife of Bishop Booth. Emma Ashworth was the second of William’s two wives; May Booth had been born to the first. William and Emma had married in Utah in 1884, after the federal government had stripped Mormon women of the right to vote and made “unlawful cohabitation” (code for Mormon polygamy) a crime punishable by fine and jail sentence. By 1884, Mormon leaders thought of new plural marriages as a sign of loyalty to the church. Five years later, Ashworth would be indicted and convicted of unlawful cohabitation in a Beaver court. Many polygamists, including high Mormon leaders, continued to cohabit and bear children with their plural wives after the Manifesto of 1890 signaled the beginning of the end of plural marriage. William and Emma followed this course. William’s first wife, Mary Elizabeth Shepherd, bore her last child in 1892. Emma bore children in 1891, 1893, and 1894. William had made marriage covenants in holy places with these women, and in his mind the sacredness of these vows trumped—and indeed, preceded—what he could only have thought were the unjust laws enacted by prejudiced men. But he would have to suffer the consequences for fidelity to these covenants. In 1894, seven months after Emma had given birth to their child, William was again arrested—this time with Emma—by a deputy marshal in Provo and charged with adultery, a more severe charge than unlawful cohabitation. The outcome of the case is unknown; after 1890, other such cases were often dismissed by friendly judges. William's reference to the problem of "houses of ill fame" in Utah can be read as a lament that the old Mormon order had disappeared. Many nineteenth-century Mormon sermons argued that polygamy made prostitution unnecessary and that "houses of ill fame" arose because Americans had not adopted the Mormon marriage system. Whether the argument was valid or not, people like William would not have used such terms arbitrarily. William believed he had done right to follow God's law; "houses of ill fame" were Satan's counterfeit. William Ashworth's two wives lived next door to another on 5th North in Provo. The 1910 census listed William living in the same household (167 West) with his first wife, Mary Elizabeth Shepherd, along with the four children they had still living at home, ages 17 to 24. Emma Ashworth, meanwhile, was listed as the head-of-household (155 West) of four children ages 17 to 23. All told, William’s two wives bore him 13 children. Emma Ashworth struck others as a strong woman. At the time of this fast and testimony meeting, she was then serving as head of Religion Classes in the ward. Her title was "superintendent." That meant that she was in charge of all the after-school religious instruction for every child in the ward. The Mormon seminary system was still a few years off, and the Religion Classes were precursor to seminary, only for grade school and older children alike. The program was phased out a few decades later when Primary and Seminary were deemed sufficient organizations for after-school instruction. “The Lord knows our hearts and desires,” Emma Ashworth said as she took the stand, according to the minutes kept by husband William. “If we were judged by our outward appearance she feared we would come short of our expectations.” It was comforting for Emma to know that the Lord could see into her soul and on this basis judge her fairly, even if members of her ward did not. Sister Ashworth’s testimony seemed like a good place to end the meeting. Bishop Booth stood and brought the services to a close by asking the choir to sing “If the Way Is Full of Trials.” The benediction was then offered by Oscar Russell. With that, William Ashworth’s job was done for the day. “Wm Ashworth clerk,” he signed at the bottom. Sources: Minutes, May 1, 8, June 12, 1910, Provo 4th Ward, General Minutes, 1909-12, LR 7224 11, v. 19, Church History Library, Salt Lake City; “Personal,” Salt Lake Herald, Jan. 15, 1884; “Beaver Court,” Salt Lake Herald, Sept. 10, 1889; “Milling and Manufacturing Company,” June 7, 1892; “Charged With Adultery,” Jan. 12, 1894, Salt Lake Herald [Utah Digital Newspapers]; “Emma Ashworth Passes Away,” Provo Evening Herald, Feb. 10, 1936 [Newspaper Archive]; Family Search.

Fast and Testimony Meeting: Provo, Nov. 1909

Contributor: jbozzo Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

It was a typical fast and testimony Sunday in the Provo 4th Ward. November 7, 1909. Ward clerk James O. Oliver captured the gist of each testimony in one or two sentences that he jotted down and later typed onto legal-sized paper. Patriarch Andrew Watson, now beginning his seventy-eighth year, was the first to the stand that day. He was often the first to stand at fast and testimony meeting. (He may have had the advantage of sitting on the stand, closer to the podium.) A Scottish emigrant, he had pulled handcarts across the plains in the ill-fated Willie Company, a half century earlier. Watson saw much death along that journey and in the years since. Yet, as he grew older and felt the power of God flow through him, he marveled more at what the Lord preserved than at what He took. Watson “rejoiced that the Lord had given to his priesthood the power to heal the sick.” The reference to healing triggered thoughts in other members of the congregation. After Watson sat down, another old-timer named William O. (“Oscar”) Sperry stood up. A native of Connecticut, Oscar and his wife Eliza Ann Cloward joined the Mormons way back in 1849. They came across the plains and settled in Provo when it was just a tiny fort populated with a few dozen families who engaged in occasional skirmishes with Ute Indians. Like Andrew Watson, Oscar Sperry had seen a lot of sickness and death in his seventy-seven years. On this day, he “bore testimony that he had witnessed the healing under the hands of the priesthood.” Mary M. Boyden, treasurer of the ward Relief Society and a member of the ward's Old Folks Committee, stood up next. She “had seen the sick healed,” the minutes recorded. The concern for healing in the testimonies reflects a tension within the Mormon mind at the time. The advent of germ theory in the 1880s had changed the way western medicine was done. Scientific medicine was having more success than ever before and was thus gaining in repute. To the extent that this medicine healed their loved ones, Latter-day Saints welcomed these advances. But they also found scientific medicine threatening because it tended to encroach on the realm of faith. Many Latter-day Saints felt the need to preserve a realm where only priesthood healing blessings could go, where the knowledge of doctors fell short. By testifying of spiritual healing practices, Mormons like Boyden, Sperry, and Watson affirmed Mormonism’s superiority over other systems of knowledge then in ascendance. Elmer E. Hinckley (the future uncle of Mormon president Gordon B. Hinckley) stood next. He may have felt uncomfortable with the direction of the testimonies and stood to provide a gentle corrective. Hinckley had a medical degree from St. Louis University and by 1910 was working as chief medical examiner at BYU. The talk of healing reminded him more of his missionary labors in Alabama in the mid-1890s than his present work at BYU. He too had witnessed remarkable healings. Just as important, he “had learned by experience that if we bear our testimony the Lord will open our mouths and give us words to say. The power of the Lord had been witnessed in the mission field and he knew that doctors could do more in their labors among the sick if the aid of the Lord was sought.” Doctors, in other words, were useful. Some Mormons still felt like doctors should be shunned and priesthood blessings were all that was needed to heal the sick; Hinckley believed a combination of approaches—science and religion—worked best. Mary A. Hillman, whom the minutes described as a “visitor” to the ward, “felt to bear testimony for where she had been living it was harder to live her religion than here in Provo.” The 1910 census listed her as living in Lehi. At the time she bore her testimony, Hillman was 41 and on her third marriage. During this period of Mormon history, an intermediate hymn often broke up fast and testimony meetings into two halves. Such meetings tended to go longer than the hour and ten minutes they are allotted today. They could go more than two hours, making a rest hymn useful. The congregation and choir now sang a rest hymn, “Oh My Father,” after which Kirsten Hansine Petersen stood. Peterson was a second-generation Mormon who was born in northern Utah, in Cache Valley, to Danish converts to the church. Her father’s surname was “Pederson”; she married a Danish-Mormon by the name of “Peterson.” She and Wilhelm had five children, ages 14 to 4. He had difficult work stoking the fires for the Denver & Rio Grand Railroad. Though the couple started out married life giving their children thoroughly Scandinavian names like Neils and Olaf, they gave younger children more Mormon-sounding names like Willard and Eliza, perhaps indicating their deepening commitment and enculturation in the faith. Kirsten “bore testimony of how the Lord had answered her prayer and given her a testimony of the Spirit World.” Pedersen, 34, would have had access to family names through her parents, who were the link to the old country. She may have performed vicarious ordinance work for the dead in Mormon temples and sensed that her efforts had been accepted in the world where people went after death. Ellen (“Nell”) Harris then stood to speak. Born in Northumberland, England, Harris emigrated to Utah as a child. She was now 42, a widow, and a mother of three sons and a daughter who lived with her. To put food on the table, she took in boarders, though occasionally the ward pitched in by giving her fast offering funds. She told the congregation that “her heart was full of thankfulness to her Heavenly Father for the many blessings that he has lately given her.” The next speaker clerk James O. Oliver listed in the minutes was a “Sister Rupp”—Oliver may not have known her first name. The 1910 U.S. census listed no Rupps living in Provo that year. Sister Rupp may have been a visitor. In any case, she “felt that the Lord will strengthen us for the duties we have to perform.” William Buckley, an English emigrant in his early 70s, followed Sister Rupp. The year was coming to a close, and only one testimony meeting remained in the year 1909. Buckley sensed the window closing. He said he “desired that his name should go on the records as one that had borne his testimony this year.” At this point in the meeting, Bishop Alfred Booth stood to say a few words. What he had heard in the meeting doubtless impressed him, but it was not sufficient. Nine people had born their testimonies, five women and four men. Only one in the group was a priesthood holder under seventy years of age. Where were the younger men? Booth said he “felt that some of the brethren holding the priesthood should occupy some of the time and called up on the Ward Clerk for the names of persons that had born their testimony.” James A. Oliver then read the names of those of those who had spoken. Oliver, 48, remained to bear his testimony. No other younger men were forthcoming. After Oliver sat down, John G. Jones, a convert from Wales, stood and concluded the testimony bearing for that day. Jones, a patriarch, was in his eightieth year—the oldest speaker of the day. Source: Minutes, Nov. 7, 1909, Provo 4th Ward, General Minutes, 1909-1912, LR 7224 11, v. 19, Church History Library, Salt Lake City.

Buckley Family History by Genie (Eugenia) Richan Hatch - 2015

Contributor: jbozzo Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

CHAPTER I Buckley Family History The following account of the Buckley history was written in the 1970s by my father Raymond Buckley Richan who originally titled his work, "A Short Account of the Lineal History of Descendants of William and Jane Lockett Buckley". Some notes and updates by Raymond 's daughter, Eugenia, are italicized and in brackets . While working through the Buckley genealogy lines it was quite interesting to see how and where the family names were handed down, so I have endeavored to trace these down to the present time and include a little family history from a rather personal point of view. This record starts with the birth of our great-grandparents, Samuel and Sarah Unwin Buckley as that is as far back as we presently have a record, and it begins with the baptismal record in the little parish of Chorley, Lancashire, England, which states that on October 13, 1815, Jane the daughter and Samuel the son of William Buckley and Jane were baptized. The birth date of Samuel was given as March 1, 1813, but the birth date of Jane was not given. Presumably she was just an infant. A subsequent record states that she died at the age of three. This baptism, of course, took place in the Church of England. At the present time we do not have a record of any other children of William and Jane. [The exceptions may be a census record showing a John Buckley who lived near Samuel Buckley in Shirebrook (see following page) and a son Jonathan born in 1805 to a William and Jane Buckley in Stockport near Manchester.] In that same year of 1815, in the neighboring town of Shirebrook is recorded the birth of a daughter on December 17, 1815, to George Unwin Dabourer] and his wife Ann Wass [seen as Wasp in some records] Unwin and they named her Sarah. 1815 was a memorable year, historically. Napolean was defeated at Waterloo by the English General Wellington. How much effect this had on the Buckleys and Unwins we do not know but probably not much on young Samuel and Sarah. [A marriage record has recently been located for William Buckley and Jane Lockett. They were married 18 Aug 1805 in Cheadle, Cheshire, England. Cheadle is a suburb of Stockport which is a borough of Greater Manchester. Greater Manchester lies in Lancashire to the north and Cheshire to the south. There is also a John Buckley found in the early LDS church records in the same branch as Samuel and hisfamily, so it seems likely that Samuel and John are brothers, as well as the previously mentioned Jonathan B.Hinckley. The following story is related by James and Lavelle Moss: "During his last visit to Chatburn and Downham in 1838, Elder [Heber CJ Kimball experienced a great spiritual moment as the children of the villages walked the mile between them singing hymns and holding hands, while their parents called down blessings upon Elder Kimball from their houses. He reported that he wept so profusely at the time, he had to leave the road three times to bathe his eyes in the nearby streams so he could see the road. He felt the Spirit so strongly he removed his hat and felt like removing his shoes as well. Finally, he bestowed an apostolic blessing upon the whole region in response to the great spiritual manifestations he received. "When he returned to the United States, Elder Kimball reported the experience to Joseph Smith. The prophet then told him: 'Did you not understand it? That is a place where some of the old prophets travelled and dedicated that land, and their blessings fell upon you.'" (Church News, week ending June 18, 1994.) Samuel and Sarah Unwin Buckley Children born to Samuel and Sarah Unwin Buckley Date of BirthPlace of Birth William - 28Nov1838 - Shirebrook, Derbyshire, England Jane - 03 Feb 1841 Mary - 14Aug 1843 John - 01June1846 - Calver, Derbyshire , England Samuel - 04Dec1849 George - 04May1852 - Brampton , Derbyshire, England Jonathan - 24Nov1853 - Calver, Derbyshire, England Sarah Ann - 18 Sep 1856 - Calver, Derbyshire, England Samuel and Sarah grew up and in the year 1838, in the parish church at Pleasley, Derbyshire , England, Samuel Buckley, age 23, and Sarah Unwin, age 22, according to the parish register, but a little older actually, were married on April 15, and they duly signed their "x" marks as did their witnesses. The Buckleys were living in Pleasley and the Unwins were living in Shirebrook some two and a quarter miles away. The bride and groom listed their occupations as cotton spinners, so their romance may have blossomed in one of the neighboring cotton mills. On November 28, 1838, their first child was born, a son whom they named William after his grandfather no doubt. In 1841they had a daughter whom they named Jane, after her grandmother. Little Jane died in 1844. Their next child, a daughter whom they named Mary, was born in 1843. [They were all born in Shirebrook and christened in Pleasley, because there was not yet a parish church in Shirebrook.] St. Michael's Parish Church in Pleasley where Buckleys and Unwins were christened and married. In 1846 they had another son whom they named John. By now the family was living in the little hamlet of Calver [pronounced Carver] near Bakewell. In 1849 another son was born and he was named Samuel, undoubtedly after his own father. He was always referred to as Sam. In the meantime, as a matter of history , the Mormon missionaries had come to England and were making converts. Apparently Sarah Unwin Buckley was the first of the family to be baptized and this was on March 25, 1847. Her husband Samuel was baptized February 14, 1848, and son William was baptized November 12, 1849, he being the only child old enough at that time. However, no other members of the family were baptized until they became adults as far as we have record. In the 1851 census the family was still residing in Calver . [According to early LDS Church records in 1852 the Buckleys were living in the village of Brampton near Chesterfield.] A son George, named after his maternal grandfather, was born there May 4, 1852. [Actually, George was born in Brampton .] From May, 1852, to September, 1853, they lived in the seaport town of Hull in Yorkshire. Their baby George died in Hull in 1852 and in 1853 they returned to Calver. They had a daughter, Sarah Ann, named after her mother and maternal grandmother, born September 18, 1856 and a son, Jonathan, born November 24, 1857. Sarah Ann died in 1865 at the age of nine. Cotton Mill in Calver where the Buckleys worked.from about 1848 to 1865, now converted to an apartment house. 1851 census shows the Buckley family visiting with an LDS missionary, John Brewitt Milner from Nottingham. Elder Milner also emigrated to Provo, Utah. He later spoke at the funerals of Sarah Rose Buckley and Samuel Buckley in Provo. Samuel, no doubt, continued to work in the cotton mills, as did the children when they became old enough, but while they were living in Calver he went into the business of peddling yeast. He had a horse and buggy and traveled around the countryside. He must have made a fair living as they had a harmonium (small organ) in their home and the children all received a fair rudimentary education. The children were also given the advantage of musical training as provided in the church choirs (Church of England) since they all had good voices. In the 1871 census the Buckleys were residing in New Street in Bakewell, a town near Calver. By this time two of their sons William and John had married and become widowers, and the care of their children was left some of the time to Samuel and Sarah. Early LDS church records in Bakewell show Sam and Jonathan were baptized April 19, 1868. COITON SPINNING Cotton spinning seems to have been a way of lifefor several generations in the Buckley family. Adults and children worked long hours in the mills, usually 12 to 14 hours a day, six days a week. Children at times were apprenticed as young as the age of five. One tender mercy was thefact that families usually got to stand together as they worked and the children would learn from the parents. Below is a photo of the Calver Mill School where the Buckley children likely attended school. The building was built in 1817 as a Sunday School, but later was used as a mill school after the passage of the 1833 Factory Act. The Factory Act of 1833 was an attempt to establish a regular working day in the textile industry. The act had the following provisions: (taken from Wikipedia) •Children (ages 14-18) must not work more than 12 hours a day with an hour lunch break. •Children (ages 9-13) must not work more than B hours with an hour lunch break. •Children (ages 9-13) must have two hours of education per day. •Outlawed the employment of children under 9 in the textile industry •Children under 18 must not work in the night •Provided for routine inspections of factories Calver Mill School Today, even adults would not like working under these conditions, but before the 1833 Factory Act conditions were much worse. Work in a cotton mill was noisy, hot in summer, cold in the winter, and often dangerous, especially for children. Bits of cotton were always floating throughout the factory and could sometimes cause COPD or pulmonary lung disease . In 1874 Samuel, Sarah, young Sam and granddaughter Elizabeth, William 's daughter by Elizabeth Jepson, emigrated to the United States [on the ship Wyoming where Samuel listed his occupation as that of a miner in the ship's manifest] and came directly to Provo since son William was already settled there as were John and Jonathan. Samuel went to work in the woolen mills. They had a home (below) located at 491 North 300 East in Provo. Endowment House in Salt Lake City. Apostle Daniel H. Wells officiated. Samuel and Sarah are buried next to each other in the Provo City Cemetery. They had previously purchased a large plot in the cemetery where several Buckleys were subsequently buried. This plot is located at 6th West and Main Street in the cemetery . This has been a brief glimpse of Samuel and Sarah Buckley, and now I'll turn to their various children with a little more detail... Young Sam never married and continued to live with his parents. He died in 1887. Samuel died two years later in 1889 and Sarah followed about a year later in 1890.The home was then sold and the money divided among the four surviving children. On 14 October 1880, Samuel and Sarah were sealed for time and eternity in the [Before continuing with Raymond's narrative, I would like to add a little more about Samuel and Sarah as written by their granddaughter, Jennie Buckley Newell and given to me by Marilyn Hicks, a granddaughter of Jennie.] Wrote Jennie: As was customary in the Foreign Countries, children were put to work early - usually following the trade or occupation of their fathers. Thus my Father [ William] received his early training in the cotton mills....This was to stand him in good stead and also prove a blessing in later years in the development of the woolen mill industry in far off Utah, a land to which my Grandparents and their children turned their eyes in faith. After they had accepted the Gospel, which they did when the glad tidings were carried to England by the very first Mormon Elders sent out from Zion, they had the urge always foremost in their hearts to gather to Zion ... My Grandmother kept open house always for the bearers of the Gospel message and many times my Grandfather was compelled to seek new employment when the news was broadcast that the Buckleys were giving shelter to the despised Mormons again. In one instance he appealed to Bro._ and said, "I am again given the choice, either I can refuse to give shelter and food to the Elders or give up my position, " to which Bro.replied, "Bro.Samuel, do as you feel best - but this I promise you- as one door is closed another will be opened." This statement was indeed a prophecy for Grandfather secured much better work and was able to save more money which was always put away with the sole purpose in view of immigrating to Utah. # CHAPTER 2 Children of Samuel and Sarah Buckley John, Jonathan, Mary and William William Buckley William was the oldest son of Samuel and Sarah. He was born in 1838. We don't have the exact date that William was married to Elizabeth Jepson, a girl some ten [3] years his senior, but it probably occurred in 1863 [20 September 1862]. They had a daughter born in 1864 who they named Elizabeth Ann after her mother. Wife Elizabeth died in 1865 and the infant daughter was taken in by the Jepson grandparents and raised for the next few years. [How ever, census records show that she lived with her Buckley grandparents, at least at the time of the 1871 census, and she emigrated to the United States with them]. More later about little Elizabeth [and William]. William was ordained an Elder in the church June 18,1856, at the age of 17. It was at this time that he is said to have served a mission for the LDS Church in England. (Provo Fourth Ward Record- Life Sketch) Mary Buckley Continuing now with the children of Samuel and Sarah, we come to daughter Mary. She was born in 1843 and was married in England to John Smith. They later came to America and lived in Rock Springs, Wyoming, for many years before finally moving to Provo where they both died and are buried. They were members of the Episcopal Church. They had six children that I recall . There were daughters Sarah, Clara, Theresa , and Jane, sons Steve and Harry. I think Sarah was the oldest of the family, and Jane the youngest. [Actually, Mary and John had 11 children, 9 born in England (Sarah, William, Sam, Theresa, John, Jonathan, Harry, Clara, and Mary) all of whom came to America in 1881, and two (Jane and Stephen) who were born in Wyoming. Steve was the youngest .] Recalling a few memories of the Smith family, I remember Aunt Mary quite well . She was quite a large woman and had a large goiter. She talked with a decided English accent and wheezed a good deal because of the goiter. I barely remember her husband who was called Uncle Smith (because we already had an Uncle John). He preceded Mary in death by many years. They lived just through the pasture from grandfathers on what is now 150 East in a little frame house now long gone. Mary Buckley Smith with some of her children. Back: Theresa, Clara, Front: Janie, Mary, Steve, circa 1888. Sarah, after she married and raised two children, came back to live with her mother in later years. Janie also lived with her mother until she got married rather late in life. Harry, I believe, never got married . He lived off and on in Provo and in Rock Springs where he operated a laundry. Theresa married and lived in Provo until later in life when she moved to Salt Lake. Clara lived in Montana. Aunt Mary died in 1931 and is buried in an unmarked grave in the Provo cemetery. She has no descendants living in Provo as far as I know. Theresa's daughters may still be living in Salt Lake. [According to census and cemetery records, two of Theresa 's daughters, Claire and Elizabeth , taught school in Provo and are buried side by side in the Provo City Cemetery.] John Buckley John, the next son [after William] was born in 1846. He first married Eliza Comery while living in England. She died in December of 1870, followed in April 1871by the death of their son Arthur age six months. It is recorded that John was baptized into the LDS Church in 1868 but apparently Eliza was not a member when she died in 1870. Whoever was raising their infant had him baptized in the Church of England on April 6, 1871, about two weeks before he died . Subsequently John married Hannah Ince while they were still in England. [FamilySearch records show they were married in Provo in August of 1872.] In 1872, John, along with brother Jonathan immigrated to America. After working around the eastern part of the country for about a year [about 5 months] they came to Utah. John had quite a large quantity of music packed in his trunk and put it to use after he got to Provo. He was a good musician, having a very fine baritone voice, and he played the organ well. He was organist at the old Fourth ward church in Provo for many years. After William moved to his property on north University Avenue, John purchased a lot from William, next on the north side and built a small home there. As a youngster I remember going over to Uncle John's on an evening with grandfather_ where they would sit and talk about many things , but the evening always ended the same when grandfather would say, "Now Johnny what about a bit of music before we leave?" and then Uncle John would play a few selections on his organ. Hannah was an impeccable housekeeper even though their little house had no modern conveniences. They even had to carry their water from an outside hydrant. John was a plasterer by trade. One job I remember his working on was when the Provo Tabernacle was remodeled about 1917. He and Uncle Jack replastered the new ceiling. It was quite a job, but it kept his fingers supple so he could play the organ. Sometime around 1930 they sold this place and moved to a little home they owned on about 520 N. Third East. They spent the last years in a home with modern conveniences. In their younger years they had a number of children but none of them lived. A few years before Uncle John died he gave me some of his old music, including several books he had brought from England. John died in 1934 and Hannah died a year or two later. Brother Jonathan , as the closest living surviving relative , inherited their property including the organ, which I would love to have had. Sam Buckley Sam, the third son of Samuel and Sarah, was born in 1849. He came to America with his parents in 1874 and they settled in Provo. In the family he was always spoken of as the best musician, particularly for his organ playing. He served as assistant organist in the old Provo Tabernacle until shortly before his death. He never married. His health had become impaired and he died of tuberculosis in 1887 at the age of 38. Jonathan Buckley Jonathan, the youngest son of Samuel and Sarah, was born in 1857. He came to America with brother John about a year before his parents and subsequently married Elizabeth Hatton. They had a large family. He had sons named William, Sam, Arthur, Ross, George, and Harold, and daughters named Mamie [Mary Elizabeth], Edith, Hannah, and Maude. Mamie, I believe, died young, but all the others grew up, married and had children. Jonathan was the tenor of the family, and in addition to singing he played the fife for many years in Provo's martial band. After the death of his first wife, Elizabeth, Jonathan married Lucy Wasden, a widow who also had children. During his later years he became blind. Jonathan died in 1939, the last surviving child of Samuel and Sarah. Elizabeth Hatton and Jonathan Buckley In 1970, with the cooperation of Rachael Davis (Ross Buckley's daughter) and other grandchildren of Jonathan and through our side of the family we were able to have headstones placed on the graves of Samuel and Sarah Buckley, Sam Buckley, and John and Hannah Buckley, who had lain all these years in the family plot without grave markers. We did not have a very close relationship with Jonathan's family as we never had a family reunion. I had speaking acquaintance with most of the boys but Edith was the only daughter I knew. Sam and his wife Robena (Beany) lived in Knightville for several years and we knew them better than any of the others, although later in life I became fairly well acquainted with Ross as he worked in a lumber yard where I frequently traded. Family of Jonathan a.."ld Elizabeth Hat.ton Buckley . Left to right, top Edith, George , Mamet Wills, Sam, Arthur. Middle row: Eli2abeth Ross Alvin, Jonathan.Maude, Hannah, Ra.rold .Rainer . CHAPTER 3 The Buckleys-Pioneer Music Family in Provo A family sketch presented by Raymond B. Richan to the 19th Century Club in Provo, November 20, 1952 Intense interest in music and excellence of performance has been traditional throughout England for centuries. From such an environment came the Buckley family, who arrived in Provo in the early 187o's. The family, consisting of mother, father, four sons and a daughter, lived near Manchester, the great cotton manufacturing center. The early musical interest of the children encouraged by the parents was stimulated by church choral training and participation in the various festivals. They also had a harmonium (reed organ) in their home. They received some instruction on the instrument but the proficiency they attained was largely through self-training . A family vocal quartet composed of three of the boys and their sister achieved considerable local fame there. The two older boys were employed in the cotton mills. Their musical activity was practically limited to Sunday since they worked from dawn to dusk, six days a week. William, the eldest, was about 32 years of age when he immigrated to Utah with his wife and infant son. They came directly to Provo, arriving in the year 1870. Scarcely had they settled down when William's music talents were enlisted. The Provo Meeting House (known also as the "old tabernacle") had only been recently completed. An organ had been secured and a choir had been formed under the leadership of James E. Daniels. William was immediately made organist and with his musical knowledge and training in good repertoire the choir took on a quality that had been lacking hitherto. He also had a fine bass voice. Two other Buckley brothers, John and Jonathan, arrived in Provo about two years later. They brought with them a trunk full of music-such things as Handel's Messiah , Haydn's Crucifixion, and numerous other choral works and anthems that had not been sung in Provo. Good church music in Provo can really be considered to have received its start from this time . John was generally considered to have been the best musician in the family. He was possessed with a baritone voice of remarkable quality, and he had completely mastered the reed organ, was a ready sight­ reader, and could play accompaniment to all the choral works with great skill. William relinquished his position as organist to the more proficient Jon and became a member of the choir. In 1873, as further encouragement to her husband's music activity, William's wife purchased an organ for their home with some legacy funds she had received. This was one of the earliest organs in Provo and it was transported around to many functions in the community. The organ is still in family possession, in good playing shape. (See photo below.) In 1875 the remaining members of the family came to Utah, that is, their mother, father, and youngest brother Samuel. As an organ virtuoso the young Samuel excelled the others. He had exceptional talent and the temperament of a musician. Unfortunately , his health had become impaired and he was to die of tuberculosis within about ten years after his arrival in Provo. John relinquished his organist duties to Samuel and Samuel continued as organist at the Provo Meeting House until shortly before his death. Jonathan was the family tenor. Most of his musical activity was as a singer although he did play fife in Provo's first martial band. Their sister Mary married in England and though she eventually came to Utah she took no part in the family music activities. The Buckleys were never professional musicians in the sense that they earned money by music. William found employment as soon as he got to Provo doing construction work on the Provo Woolen Mills then nearing completion. As soon as the mill was put in operation he went to work in the spinning room, serving as foreman in that department for many years until he retired in 1898. John became a plasterer and worked at that trade all his life. Such a trade as this would hardly be considered suitable for an organist, but to an advanced age he retained supple fingers and manual ability that permitted playing his beloved instrument. Jonathan was a blacksmith by trade. At one time, during the late 1870s William built a building on Center Street and 300 West, and financed a music business, but the business failed after a few months of operation. A fine old parlor organ was salvaged which became the property of Samuel, and at this death it passed on to John. It remained in fine condition in John's home until his death in 1934. William was called to the Pleasant View Ward where he organized the first ward choir. He led this choir and played the organ there for many years. In addition he played the organ in the old Fourth Ward, sang in the Glee Club, and was generally kept busy one way or another. He kept his great interest in and love for music as long as he lived. His favorite instrument was always the organ. The Provo Tabernacle organ was installed too late for either him or John to play it, but they took great delight in hearing others play it. William died in 1920. An organization in which the Buckleys played no inconsiderable part was the Fourth Ward Glee Club, an organization of 24 male singers led by Professor Henry Giles, head of Brigham Young Academy music department. There were four Buckleys in this group- John, Jonathan, William, and William 's son Ernest . In 1892 at a church-wide festival held in Salt Lake City this group captured $290.00 in prize money out of the $400.00 awarded. John placed first among all soloists. The Giles family and the Buckley family were close friends. The Buckleys were an integral part of Provo's music history, as active performers for many years, as friends of many of the later musicians, and as patrons and lovers of the best in music throughout their lives. Jennie Buckley Newell also wrote about the Buckley family and their love of music. Even though some of the information may be repetitive, it is worthwhile including in this book. Here are her words: In the year 1871, a young Mormon couple, William and Sarah Rose Buckley, with their infant son, Ernest, set sail on the ship WYOMING, leaving their native England they were bound for America and Utah, This was the culmination of their heart's desire. This was the realization of a dream. They set their faces toward a new world and a new life. They left much behind them,parents, brothers and sisters and their home with its variety of musical instruments. But with them they took their proud pioneer culture and their talents for they had been reared in a home where religion, culture and music played the leading part. My grandmother Buckley, being herself musical, had instilled a love for music in the hearts of their children, and had inspired them with a keen desire to accomplish things along this line. In this little family of five children, three of the boys and the only girl played the organ. One brother played the violin, one the flute, and they all possessed good voices. Three of the boys sang in the Church of England Choir in their youth in the village where they were raised. They had an orchestra as well as a well­ balanced chorus in their own little group. They sang the songs of Zion in their native England and pioneer Mormonism long before they came to Utah. My grandparents accepted the gospel when it was carried to England by the first missionary sent over. Arriving in Provo my father became at once identified with the music of the community . Three years later, [1874] soon after the birth of mother's second [third] child, they heard that an organ could be purchased at the Grant's Music Store in American Fork. The trip to American Fork was made by ox team and mother purchased the church organ which she gave to my father, and to one who had all his life been surrounded with musical instruments, you may know the true joy he felt in again being the proud possessor of this church organ. I have often heard my folks tell the interesting story of how the organ was carried over to the tabernacle on Sundays, our first home being on 1st West, one half block from Center St., the task was not a hard one. Father became organist for the choir. They also told how it was taken to a friend's home, perhaps for a wedding reception, or maybe a party. On Christmas Eve, it would be placed in a wagon and the choir members would either ride or walk alongside and would sing Christmas carols while the organist played for them. Three years later John and Jonathan Buckley arrived from England and John being the better organist, tool father's place. Later when my grandparents and their youngest son Sam arrived, Sam, having been organist in the Church of England , of course took the place occupied previously by his brothers... Sources for Buckley chapters Most of the information found in this section comes from the following records: 1.Church of England. St. Laurence's Church (Chorley, Lancashire), Family History Library BRITISH Film #93704. 2.Church of England. Parish Church of Pleasley (Pleasley, Derbyshire), Family History Library BRITISH Film #355585, p.30. 3.UK Census records 1841, 1851, 1861, and 1871. 4.Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Calver Branch Records (Derbyshire). Record of members, Family History Library BRITISH Film #86990 Item 1. 5.Endowment House Records , Family History Library, Temple Records, Film #183408 and #183402. 6.Bishop's Transcripts for Bakewell (Derbyshire), Family History Library BRITISH Film #497,379, p.70, p.771, p.171. 7.Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Membership records, Hull Branch (Yorkshire), Family History Library BRITISH Film #87004 Items 8 - 19. 8.Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Membership records, Chesterfield Branch (Derbyshire), Family History Library BRITISH Film# 86991. 9.LDS Emigration records, European Mission; 1849-1885, passenger list, Film # 025692. 10. Provo, Utah, Provo Fourth Ward Record of members 1852 - 1923 Film #26333. 11.Original manuscript of Buckley history by Raymond Buckley Richan in possession of Eugenia Richan Hatch, Orem, Utah. 12.Copy of original manuscripts written by Jennie Buckley Newell in possession of her granddaughter Marilyn Newell Hicks. Note: Most of the above records can be found now on FamilySearch.org and Ancestry.com

Life timeline of William Buckley

William Buckley was born on 28 Nov 1838
William Buckley was 2 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
William Buckley was 21 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
William Buckley was 24 years old when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring the freedom of all slaves in Confederate territory by January 1, 1863. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
William Buckley was 39 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
William Buckley was 46 years old when Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is published in the United States. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a novel by Mark Twain, first published in the United Kingdom in December 1884 and in the United States in February 1885. Commonly named among the Great American Novels, the work is among the first in major American literature to be written throughout in vernacular English, characterized by local color regionalism. It is told in the first person by Huckleberry "Huck" Finn, the narrator of two other Twain novels and a friend of Tom Sawyer. It is a direct sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
William Buckley was 60 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
William Buckley was 70 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
William Buckley was 76 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
William Buckley died on 28 Nov 1920 at the age of 82
Grave record for William Buckley (28 Nov 1838 - 28 Nov 1920), BillionGraves Record 11345 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States