Wilford Ernest Thatcher

7 Feb 1888 - 3 Mar 1959

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Wilford Ernest Thatcher

7 Feb 1888 - 3 Mar 1959
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Wilford Ernest Thatcher (7 Feb 1888 - 3 Mar 1959) at Provo City Cemetery in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Wilford Ernest Thatcher

Married: 20 Mar 1918

Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Mother, Father


June 27, 2011


April 7, 2020


April 9, 2020


April 18, 2020


June 21, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Wilford Ernest


Wilford Ernest Thatcher is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Memories of Great Uncle Wilford and Aunt Mary

Contributor: srodyx Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

My mother's mother had passed away before I was born. My only memory of her side of the family were visits with my mother to Uncle Wilford and Aunt Mary in their Provo home. Aunt Mary was such a kind, sweet person who always seemed happy to visit with us. Their home is still standing and is the same home that my grandmother was raised in. Her father, I believe, built it and it was a simple adobe pioneer home. I remember sitting in the front room and looking into the kitchen..which was a step down while Aunt Mary prepared food for us. As I listened to the conversations it was a connection for me to people long gone but important to my family roots. I believe Uncle Wilford introduced my parents and helped a long line of family members as they attended BYU. One vivid memory I have is sitting under a grape vine arbor in the yard. The plantings around were pioneer vintage. It seemed like a link to me of ancestors who planted them.

Autobiography of Wilford Earnest Thatcher

Contributor: srodyx Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

The year 1888, the 7 day of February, I came into this world, one of a family of 13 -- six boys and eight girls and one half brother. Three of my brothers died the first year of their lives. One girl was born after me but did not live. My father was 64 years old when I was born. The first thing I remember was when he was working in the Woolen Mills and I would go with my sister to take his dinner to him. He would always share it with me. When I was four years old I was taken by Eddie Holt to the Brigham Young Academy to a kindergarten class they were having there. I learned little poems that my father was always glad to hear. I could tell he was proud of me. I started to school when I was six in the old Franklin Grade School on 7 west and 3 South in Provo. My mother was 20 years younger than my father and she was a very good housekeeper. We children were kept clean and spotless. She spent her time looking after her family and keeping boarders. She would let me help her cook and I became a fair cook, which stood me in hand when I was older and had to cook my own meals. When I was about six years old my father became sick with the Palsy and he could not go to work anymore and this is why Mother took in boarders to help keep the family. I was always an outdoors kid. I liked to hunt, swim, and fish. I was happy if I had a gun or a fishing pole over my shoulder and on my way to the river. I learned to swim while very young and I was a very good swimmer. The Provo River and Utah Lake were both model places for a young boy to grow and enjoy life. The hills and mountains around Provo were also good factors in the life of a growing boy. When father was sick I used to have to go and take him for a ride in his buggy and an old mare that my sister Hattie's husband gave him so that he could get out. I took him down to see how far the lake had come up toward Provo. At one time about 1897 it had come up to and passed Walter Cox's place and was well up toward the railroad that went across Main Street. As I remember there was not near the fuss made over it as in the Spring of 1952. About 1904 I went to Garfield when they were building the smelter. I was driving a dump cart and I thought I was really grown up. I worked until the horse backed over the dump and the boss fired me. This was my first experience at being laid off but it was not such a good job as I have discovered since, but I have had worse ones. While there I was almost crushed with a big rock that was thrown in the air three or four hundred feet and landed almost on me. I have had many narrow escapes since then. I have worked on construction most of my life. I worked in Eureka, Utah in the Blue Rock, Iron Blossom, and Colorado mines, but I did not like mining. In 1909 I left Provo and went to Idaho and worked for some time in and around Idaho falls. I worked there in the summer and in the fall I would return to Provo. Thin in 1912 I went to Soda Springs, Idaho and made my home there for 21 years. In 1913 I was working in and around Malad, Idaho and I had my recommend in the Malad Ward. From there I had it moved from there to Milo, Idaho and from there to Soda Springs and then to Meadowville in the Idaho Stake. In 1914 I homesteaded ten miles north of Soda Springs. I worked at different jobs that I could get. Some times in the timber and sometimes on construction. I was very active in the Church, although I was an habitual smoker and it was in 1917 before I quit and I have not had one smoke since then. I was ordained to the priesthood in 1916. In 1918 I was ordained a High Priest. In 1917 I went to Chesterfield, Idaho to work for Kepler Sessions. While there I met Mary Rose Tomlinson whom I married about one year later in the Salt Lake Temple, March 20, 1918. The fall of 1918 I went into the U.S. Army and was stationed in San Diego, California at Fort Rosencran [Rosencrantz]. I was discharged in December and returned to my home in Soda Springs. I have worked in the Church wherever I have been. I was ordained a High Priest at 30 years old. I have been a counselor for two bishops and one presiding elder. I have served as a home missionary in 4 different stakes going as far as 25 miles in a snow storm to attend a meeting by appointment. I have had a very interesting life, I have been able to make a living for myself and family wherever I have been and under any condition that has presented itself. The Lord has blessed me more than I can say. [Added: Wilford and Mary also lived in Roosevelt, Clawson, and Provo, Utah. They were the parents of six children, three girls and three boys. Five were born in Meadowville, Idaho, near Soda Springs. The last was born when they lived in Roosevelt, Utah. Wilford died 3 Mar 1959 doing what he loved, fishing. He had gone with his cousin, Jim Halladay, to fish on Utah Lake early in the morning. During the day a sudden storm came up and their boat was capsized. Though they were both experienced fishermen, and knew the lake very well, both were drowned. Wilford's body was recovered the following day, March 4th. Jim Halladay's body was not recovered until six weeks later. Wilford is buried in the Provo City Cemetery in the Thatcher plot with his father, mother, and other family members.]

Life timeline of Wilford Ernest Thatcher

Wilford Ernest Thatcher was born on 7 Feb 1888
Wilford Ernest Thatcher was 5 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
Wilford Ernest Thatcher was 21 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
Wilford Ernest Thatcher was 29 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Wilford Ernest Thatcher was 40 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Wilford Ernest Thatcher was 43 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Wilford Ernest Thatcher was 56 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
Wilford Ernest Thatcher died on 3 Mar 1959 at the age of 71
Grave record for Wilford Ernest Thatcher (7 Feb 1888 - 3 Mar 1959), BillionGraves Record 26976 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States