Wilda Clark

11 May 1906 - 25 Sep 1925

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Wilda Clark

11 May 1906 - 25 Sep 1925
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

History of WILDA CLARK 1906-1926 Wilda Clark was born in Dublan, Mexico, May 11, 1906, and was blessed by her father, Arthur Benjamin Clark. Her mother was Ethel A. Shirley. In about five years the family came to Utah and settled in Hyde Park. Wilda was always full of the joy of living, curious abou

Life Information

Wilda Clark


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States


July 11, 2014


July 10, 2014

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of Wilda


Wilda Clark is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Wilda Clark

Contributor: kevsha Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

History of WILDA CLARK 1906-1926 Wilda Clark was born in Dublan, Mexico, May 11, 1906, and was blessed by her father, Arthur Benjamin Clark. Her mother was Ethel A. Shirley. In about five years the family came to Utah and settled in Hyde Park. Wilda was always full of the joy of living, curious about everything, wanting to learn everything and sample everything. She would also share everything. One year she got into the Christmas candy, shared with the other children in the family, until by the 25th of December there was no hard tack left. Father punished her by not letting her have any Christmas presents. But Mother just couldn't let Wilda go without anything, so none of us got any gifts from Mother until Father had gone back in a day or two to wherever he was doing dental work at the time. Then she gave us all our presents, including Wilda. In the meantime Fred and Martha Clark came to visit us for Christmas and Martha felt so bad for Wilda that she gave her a quarter to go to the store and buy herself a gift. But guess what- Wilda came back from the store with a present for each of us. She got nothing for herself. When Wilda was about three years old, Mother came in one day from hanging out the clothes to find her sitting on the table on her little rocking chair, holding the baby (Florence) in her arms. Another time when Mother put something on the top shelf of the cupboard 'out of Wilda's reach', then went out of the room, Wilda immediately climbed up and got it. When she was a young teenager she scared the neighbors half out of their wits one night showing her face at their window with a red scarf around her head and a knife between her teeth. Another year when she earned some money she picked out her own Christmas doll in the catalog and sent for it. When the package came Wilda opened it alone by herself in the bedroom, then came in to show us her beautiful doll. But on Christmas morning Florence and Bertha found two very similar dolls under the tree. Wilda went to school in Hyde Park and Preston, Idaho. Then the family moved to Logan, Utah and Wilda began her preparation for school teaching. She had graduated from the two year Oneida Academy at Preston, gone to the Brigham Young College in Logan one year, also one year at the Agricultural College, including summer school. She inherited her father's talent for music, playing the piano by ear as well as by music, and singing solos in the church and community. She played first violin in the B.Y.C. and A. C., attend her classes, then stay at school practicing with somebody for something, walking home again late in the evening. Wilda received her teaching certificate and left in the fall of 1926 to teach school in Monticello, Utah. She was 19 years of age. She prepared her own wardrobe, making several dresses. She taught school for two weeks and in that two weeks, besides teaching the fourth grade, as planned, she was also teaching art in the seventh and eighth grades. She was giving piano and violin lessons, she was curling women's hair, she was the Sunday School organist and she had made many, many friends. At the beginning of the third week, Wilda was horseback riding with some friends when she felt a pain in her side. In one week she passed away from a ruptured appendix. The people with whom Wilda lived told Mother that shortly before her death Wilda would keep calling out, "Oh, I can hear such beautiful music, let me go, let me go!" and would push against the foot of the bed with her feet, trying to get closer to the music. Those same people, Mr. and Mrs. Redd, asked to have Wilda buried in their family plot at the cemetery. When Mother returned from after the funeral President Shepard of the Logan Temple said to her, in effect, that Wilda was so full of ambition-always reaching and struggling to attain more, that he was sure she had accomplished all that she came on earth to do and was fully prepared to advance to higher knowledge and achievement. Of course we had all been aware of her exceptional ambition and curiosity about everything. When a new fad was started, she was one of the first to master it-for instance, making braided hats, wool and beaded handbags, and marcelling hair. We all feel that Wilda lived a full and complete life and that when she passed from this existence into the realms above, she continued her searching for knowledge and helping others, just as she had been doing while here with us, even possibly to a far greater degree. Source: Book of Remembrance of Arthur Benjamin Clark and Descendants. Compiled and edited by Verla Clark Cook July 1971

An Interview with My Mom About Her Mom, Lilly Viola Malm Clark

Contributor: kevsha Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

On January 25, 2018, I (Katheryn Jo Kleier)interviewed my mother, Phyllis Jean Clark, about her mother, Lilly Viola Malm. Lilly was born on December 2, 1905, in Blackfoot, Idaho. [1] She had three siblings; Elmer Malm, Alice Louise Malm, and George Alexander Malm. Elmer died the same year he was born (1902). [2] My mother has little recollection of Lilly's parents' because they had both passed prior to her birth. She didn't recall Lilly ever talking about them. My mom didn't have any recollection of her mother telling her about her growing up years. She only remembers that her mom's life was very "simple." She did talk about her dolls often and instilled a love of dolls in her. She did remember her stories about traveling later in her life - no specifics, however. I recently heard my mother say that Lilly never liked her name. I asked her about that today, and she said she didn't really know why. My mom has never liked her name and thought maybe her mom shared that with her to make her "feel better." I asked my mom what stood out to her about her mother, from a child's perspective? She said that she can't remember her mom ever raising her voice at her. She said her mom "was a very gentle woman" and "very soft-spoken." She said it was a good thing her dad was the stern one because her mom wasn't. She said, "she spoiled me rotten." She said her mom would "make her clothes, galore." She said she "always looked like a little doll, the way she would dress me." When my mom was in grade school, Lilly would take my mom to the store and look at the clothes. She would then make little sketches and then make her own patterns out of paper and then make the dress. I asked my mom how she felt about her mom making most of her clothes? She said that she thinks she took it for granted and didn't really think much about it. She did say, however, that there were times when she would have liked something bought from the store. With that said, Lilly made sure she was dressed in the latest fashions. My mom was never embarrassed to wear what her mom lovingly made for her. She said her mom, "instilled a love of clothes in her, quite young." Lilly was an excellent seamstress. She even made her father's dress shirts. Lilly made all of my mom's baby doll clothes. She told me about the first doll she really got excited about. She was about five. It was after attending a Christmas Eve meeting at church. When her family returned, she got to open up one present. That year, it was a doll, she named Tommy. He was an Indian doll in a little papoose. He was black. She had never seen a black doll before. She still has Tommy. My mom really "loved that doll". We talked more about Lilly's love for dolls. She and her sister, Louise, would make dolls together. Louise would make the doll (porcelain) and Lilly would dress the ones that weren't quite perfect. Often, Lilly would go to the "DI" (Deseret Industries) and find sad looking dolls, with no clothes. She would find great joy cleaning them up and making beautiful clothes for them. My mom remembered Lilly always in the kitchen and was allowed to be in there with her. However, after my mom got married and she would ask her mom for a recipe, Lilly would say it was "a pinch of this" and a "pinch of that." My mom soon learned that just like Lilly's sewing without a pattern, she cooked without formal recipes. "She just knew how to do it." Lilly could do it all! She said that when she was in school, Lilly would sew for wealthy women. The last little job she had out of the home was at Kilpatrick's, a department store. She thinks that was in Omaha, Nebraska. She didn't know about her work before she married. She said her mama (that is how she referred to Lilly) did not go to college. Lilly loved cats. At one time, they had 20 cats! Sadly, because they were unable to care for and find homes for all of those cats, her brother-in-law, Charles Blockburger, was directed, by Lilly, to get rid of them. My mom only remembers having one dog growing up, named Penny. She was five. She recalled that one day Penny was no longer. She believes her parents had to get rid of Penny because the mailman would no longer deliver their mail. Lilly was 24 when she married Lawrence David Clark, a widower. They were sealed in the Salt Lake City Temple. [3] She was considered an "old maid," according to those times. Her prospects for marriage were slim. Lawrence had three children, the youngest a six-month-old. He was in need of help, and a mother for his children. My mother described her mom's marriage as one of "convenience." Lilly did not like being the "second wife." Lawrence and Lilly wanted children together, but after 10 years of trying, they were unsuccessful. Her infertility has something to do with perhaps endometriosis (my suggestion, as my mom, couldn't remember the name). Lawrence, in particular, wanted a boy. Their first attempt at adoption was for a boy. However, at the last minute a biological grandparent stepped up and that adoption fell through. This had to be devastating, especially for Lilly who deeply wanted a child of her own. My mom said her mother never dwelled on this incident, but she knew it made her mom sad. Not long after, they got a call from a nurse from the same home (for unwed mothers) that there was a baby girl, 3 or 4 months old, that no one had yet claimed, and that if they were interested she could make an adoption happen. Lilly now had the little 'doll' she had always wanted; a girl! My mom said that she could always tell by Lilly's face when she talked about her adoption that she was thrilled; "I was meant to be there." My mom is the only child sealed to Lilly. I asked my mom what stands out to her most about Lilly? She said she is "comforting and safe." She said she always felts safe around her. "She was a comforter." My mom said her mom wasn't a "scholar" like her father but that she was "well-read." They would take trips every summer. When my mom was 14, she and Lilly traveled to Europe for the summer. Lilly loved to travel abroad. She and Lawrence served a mission in Guatemala. While serving, some children were playing with firecrackers during a celebration and one was thrown near her. She lost much of her hearing at that time, which she talked about often. She never wore a hearing aid. Lilly was a great "souvenir collector." She would bring back and save postcards and brochures of the many places she and Lawrence traveled during my mom's adult years. She enjoyed collecting small dolls, lace, fabric, doilies, and other specialties of the places they traveled. My mom said that Lilly was one of the "most dedicated women she knows accepting callings." She was always a leader in the wards and branches they lived in. She often had two callings. She was always visiting the sick, from the time my mom was a child and into her adult years. Her "on the go" was not going to the mall, it was serving others. My mom often felt she was just being "drug along" on these errands. She said her mom was extremely "family oriented." She kept in contact with everyone, family, and friends, through letter writing and visits. Lilly began painting larger pictures after my mom left the home, but all of her life she was taking small paper/boards and painting little pictures. She is an original DIY-er! She never took formal lessons. She was self-taught. My mom describes her signature painting style as "primitive" - very distinct. She looked at things or pictures and just painted them. I asked my mom what she thinks Lilly would want her posterity to know about her? She said, "I think my mom would really want her to be recognized as a good mother, a good wife, and a good person." I asked her if she ever heard her mother bear her testimony? She said she never heard either of her parents' bear their testimonies. She remembers going to conference with her parents. She knew that the gospel was the center of their lives, however. She knew that her living the gospel, as an adult, was important to her mother because being active in the Church was where she would find happiness. Knowing that her posterity's lives are centered on the gospel would bring them happiness. The life-lesson my mom learned from the example of her mom, was to be "just the kind of women she was." She said, "that is the kind of woman she wanted to be." My mom knew that she was loved. Lilly was a mother, the greatest influencer of all! Lilly passed away on August 21, 1994. (4) Sources Cited 1.Birthdate for Lilly Viola Malm verified on FamilySearch.com. 2.Birth and death year of Lilly's brother, Elmer Malm, was verified on FamilySearch.com. 3.Marriage/sealing date of Lawrence David Clark and Lilly Viola Malm verified on FamilySearch.com. 4.Death date for Lilly Viola Malm verified on FamilySearch.com.

Life timeline of Wilda Clark

Wilda Clark was born on 11 May 1906
Wilda Clark was 8 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Wilda Clark died on 25 Sep 1925 at the age of 19
Grave record for Wilda Clark (11 May 1906 - 25 Sep 1925), BillionGraves Record 9306763 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States