Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles

6 Aug 1925 - 24 Aug 2010

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles

6 Aug 1925 - 24 Aug 2010
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Earl was born in Springville, Utah at the family home at 360 West and 1st North to James Albert Giles and Ellen Biggs Teasdale Giles on February 21, 1931. He has three brothers: Kenneth, Max and Marlin; four half sisters: Ruth Giles Diamond, Berniece Teasdale Bartholomew, Amy Teasdale Murdock, Edith

Life Information

Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles

Married: 13 Aug 1947

Evergreen Cemetery

1876-1998 North 2000 West
Springville, Utah, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Children: Fred, Erick, Dave


June 21, 2012


May 25, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Wilbert Anthony "Bill"


Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Earl Biggs Giles

Contributor: balenstar Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Earl was born in Springville, Utah at the family home at 360 West and 1st North to James Albert Giles and Ellen Biggs Teasdale Giles on February 21, 1931. He has three brothers: Kenneth, Max and Marlin; four half sisters: Ruth Giles Diamond, Berniece Teasdale Bartholomew, Amy Teasdale Murdock, Edith Teasdale Miner; and two half brothers: Wilbert Giles and Melvin Teasdale. My Journal (Compiled from three different records written by Earl) I was born 21 February 1931 to James Albert Giles and Ellen Biggs in Springville, Utah. I was given the name of Earl Biggs Giles. (One record states that they couldn’t come up with a name for him for about three months and his parents called him ‘Oly’. They also thought of naming him ‘George’). My father James Albert Giles was born in Springville. His father and mother, James Giles and Mary Ann Giles lived next door to where I was born. My mother Ellen Biggs was born at Garndiffaith, Monm., Wales and came to Utah with her parents, Thomas Bigs and Emily Carey. She was married to William Henry Teasdale and they had four children before he was killed in a (coal) mine. She moved to Springville and worked in a store. There she met and married my father. Dad had been previously married to Bertha Mae Powers and they had three living children and two that were stillborn. His wife died in childbirth. I was blessed 5 April 1931 by Mathias Wahlin, and on 23 April 1939 I was baptized by Claude Joseph Salisbury and confirmed by my father, James Albert Giles the same day. His parents would put him in the baby buggy whenever they needed to walk anywhere, but it was not long before they ended up carrying him and pushing the empty buggy, as he refused to stay in the buggy. The boys didn’t like the crust on the bread so they would leave them under the edges of the table. When I was small I was naughty and my mother chased me with a willow, but I ran and she couldn’t catch me. When I came back she really beat me with that willow. I had one accident. A dog pulled me off a bicycle and bit me on the leg. The Giles family loved to go up to Schofield and stay at Uncle Tom and Aunt Mable’s home. When they attended church it was mostly with the Biggs family. I attended 3 years of Primary and won a purse for perfect attendance. During my growing up years can’t remember much until I reached the age of 5 or 6 years. Max was the only brother we teased all the time. Marlin chased Max with a knife one time and he also threw a shoe at Max and he ducked, the shoe went through a window. Marlin was spoiled. Grandma threatened to paint them black if they didn’t stop complaining about their clothes. My sister Edith used to take me to Kindergarten on her bicycle. It was quite a ride. My elementary school teachers were: First grade, Mrs. Roylance; Second grade, Mrs Carson; Third grade, Mrs. Mattie Davis; Fourth grade, Mrs. Rowland; Fifth grade, Mr. Wendell Nielson; and Sixth grade, Mr. Victor Frandsen. I attended all my schooling in Springville, Utah. Max and Earl made Star rank in scouts. (Earl told me that he never liked scouting). Kenneth, and maybe Marlin made Eagle. Uncle Tom gave lectures on playing table tennis on Sunday’s when his family would come for Sunday dinner. We worked on dad’s farm until he went to work for the city. He then rented the farm out to Wallace Harmer. On the farm we cut and put up hay and grain. Harvested peas, beets, corn and just about everything imaginable. We had chickens, pigs, cows, horses, dogs and cats, as well as a big garden. I worked for Wallace Harmer every summer and made enough money to buy clothes and enough spending money for the school year. Ruth worked with Earl and Lloyd Hodson at the celery plant. Ruth would fill the crates with the celery and Earl and Lloyd would put the crates on the truck. I was ordained a deacon 2 May 1943 by James Albert Giles, a teacher 31 March 1946 by D. Merle Sargent, a priest 9 May 1948 by Glen A. Christensen, an elder 4 March 1951 by James Albert Giles, and a High Priest 10 December 1978 by Jack A. Rampton. I received my patriarchal blessing at the hands of Brother Peter Nielson in the Springville 3rd Ward on 12 Dec. 1948. We all wanted a car so bad but dad wouldn’t buy one. Now I’m glad because there were six boys and we would have just fought over it. I like movies, dances and building model planes and cars. The movie ‘Tom Sawyer’ was the most outstanding. In my junior high school I played on the basketball team. Can’t remember too much in my junior high years. Sophomore year I again played basketball which was my whole life. All my brothers played basketball in front of the barn after the chores were done. I attended three years of seminary. While a junior in high school made the team again. This was a fun year. Went to the Junior Prom with Ramona Leonard. Took her to the dance in Wilbert’s ‘41 Chev coupe. I was quite fond of a red head by the name of Ellen Loback. She was a telephone operator. Took her home one night. It was snowing and blowing. We didn’t go straight home. We rode to Spanish Fork and on the way home we ran into another car which was stalled on the road and knocked the grill head lights out of my sister’s ‘47 DeSoto. Should have stayed home. I also went to the basketball state tournament in my junior year. We stayed in the Hotel Utah for three days and four nights. In my senior year (1949) I played ball again. Came down with a cold which ended up in rheumatic fever. The doctor put me to bed for six months, then in 1950 went back to school and graduated. (He missed school for those six months and in order to graduate had to return the next school year). After I graduated from high school Utah State Rehabilitation came to my home and talked to my parents. They wanted me to take some tests to see what vocation I would be most interested in. I decided to take up jewelry and watch repair. The state then went to see J. Melvin Duke (Duke Jewelry) and I started with him. They paid him $30.00 a month to teach me. They also bought all my tools except a watch cleaner, which my dad bought. Melvin Duke and Earl purchased cameras and loved photography. (Val could never figure out how to use the camera and whenever she wanted to take a picture she would have to call Earl at work to instruct her on each individual setting to use). I worked with Mr. Duke till 1955. By the way, I met a girl on a blind date while I was working for Duke. Her name was Valeen Ferre. I knew she was the one because she liked to go to church and do the things I did. We later got married on Feb. 17, 1954 (in the Salt Lake City Temple). Dad died in March 1957. We were down visiting dad on a Sunday night. When we left he stood out in the road for the longest time watching us go home. When we arrived home that night, my sister called and said dad just passed away at my brother’s home (Kenneth). He died in a chair. Mother died 20 March 1951 at my home in Springville. They both died of heart trouble. His mother had radium treatments for cancer for two years. When Ellen died Max was home teaching and Earl was at home and was sent to his sister Edith’s home to tell her what had happened. Our first car was a ‘49 Chevrolet we bought from my bother Kenneth who was on a mission in the Great Lakes area (Fort Wayne Indiana). Then we bought a 1950 Olds. Later, Mr Duke took his son-in-law into the business and started to train him. So I left. Didn’t find a job for a while. Then the State Rehabilitation made an appointment for an interview at Hill Air Force Base and I started to work there in April of 1956. We rented from Jay Webster from ‘56-‘58 at 194 West and 1st North in Kaysville. We then bought a home in Happy Home Subdivision in Kaysville. We paid it off in 1979 and saved 5 years and received $611.00 for paying off the loan early. East winds are bad here and tears up everything. Blessed with three daughters and one son. Debra Leigh, February 2, 1957; Alan Earl, August 19, 1959; Sue Ann, February 19, 1962 and Sandra Joyce on May 8, 1966. Alan lived only three months and died from Subendocardio-fibroelastosis of the heart on November 21, 1959 and is buried in the Kaysville City Cemetery). My first job at Hill Field was an instrument mechanic in Bldg. 212. This meant we overhauled test equipment and aircraft instruments. I went from a WG5 - to a WG10; then went to an on-the-job instructor (OJI) WG11. I went TDY in about 1965 (was actually in 1967) to Montana (Miles City), Fortuna, North Dakota, Finley, North Dakota, then back to Glasgow, Montana. While we were in North Dakota, Harlow Hays and his wife and myself went up to Canada to see the Royal Mounted Police Post at Regina, then down to Wolf Creek and than back to Wiliston, North Dakota. Quite a fun trip, which I won’t forget. If it wasn’t for Harlow and his wife I would get more sick than I was. While I was there in Wiliston, Val and Debbie came to stay with me for a week and a half, that was really neat. The little lady I rented from was really super. I had a bedroom upstairs and used her kitchen, also I mowed her lawns and helped with her garbage. Stayed on TDY for 101 days. Sure good to get home. Then in 1968 moved to Bldg. 100 where I worked in material support as a GS7, then moved in scheduling GS9 where I worked till 1979. My job at present is supervisor for material support as a GS-11. Hard to get used to, because I like to do the work myself instead of getting people to do the work. It is quite an adjustment for me at the age of 49. Earl was always particular about everything he did. For example, he would mow the lawn in one direction, then mow it again on the diagonal. Once in a while he would ask Debi to mow it while he was at work or we would just decide to do it and surprise him. When he would get home he would go out and critique the job. It never quite met his standard as he was always able to see at least one blade of grass which was a different height than the rest. Phyllis Whitesides (a neighbor) said that one day Earl stopped to visit with them as he was walking home from work after getting off the bus. She said that in the middle of a sentence he looked toward our front yard and saw Val up in the top of the flowering crab apple tree. He quickly terminated the conversation by saying that he needed to get home and see what was going on as he was afraid she would fall and hurt herself. Early in 1983 Earl started having health problems and having check-ups at the doctor’s offices, but they could not pin any particular problem down. Over the years he would take a lot of Malox to calm an upset stomach. Every time he would try to swallow pills he would gag. By July of this year he was really feeling upset and was having a hard time eating as he said it was hard to swallow. In September 1983 surgery was scheduled as it was decided the only way to find the health problem was to go inside and check out the situation. Earl died on October 28, 1983 at his home which was located at 104 West 250 South in Kaysville, Utah. He was buried at the Kaysville City Cemetery on November 1, 1983. Positions in the church have been, Y.M.M.I.A. secretary, Elder’s Quorum counselor, 2nd assistant in the genealogy class, ward financial clerk, Sunday School counselor, High Priests 2nd Counselor and served as a stake missionary from 27 April 1969 to March 29, 1972. His missionary companion was John Stewart. Memories of Earl: He was always willing to help others in areas where he had some talent, and it was always without thought of payment, except for parts. Whenever he was ready to start a project he would carefully read all instructions, then think it through step by step before ever starting. One trait that he had that was very special was the ability to start a conversation with anyone, in stores, on the street, etc. If he came up missing while we were on camping trips, we knew he was at another campground making friends. Our children’s schooling meant so much to Earl. He would brag about their grades to anyone he could corner. From comments others have made, I know that he talked a lot to those he worked with about his special family. From Debra and Sue: Dad taught me to fix a watch. I could take it apart and put it together, but it never worked. He’d put it together afterward and it worked every time. Dad would ask us to mow the lawn and then mow it again because every blade wasn’t perfect. Debi taught Sandy to ride a bike and forgot to teach her to stop. Dad was supposed to catch her and he missed. She crashed one block down on DeWayne Jay’s lawn. No matter what time we came in from dates, Dad could tell us what time it was, and we thought he was asleep. REFLECTIONS OF MY DAD By Sue Ann Giles Parsell My dad was a very special father, but even more, he was my special friend. No matter what time it was or what he happened to be doing, when I needed to talk to him, he was always there. I especially remember these talks at times when the steps seemed steepest such as graduation, college, marriage. He never was one to give me “instant solutions”, he just listened – the kind of listening when I could feel deep inside he understood and cared. I especially appreciated his sound advice in his letter when I was away at college. If I had to pick the part that helps me most, it would be the following: “Take advantage of every opportunity you have in this life. Be patient and things will come and fall in place. This life is like a big puzzle, we don’t know where the pieces fit, but pray to your Father in Heaven, work with Him, and it will turn out fine.” Our family always came first with dad. He spent the majority of his time with us. He was always there when we needed help with anything–be it school work, fixing cars, fixing watches and jewelry or “just being there.” By his actions he taught me how important a family unit is. Dad would rather have his family around than be alone–he disliked being alone. I remember many times him protecting our family and making sure it was secure. Along with building strong family ties, dad taught me the action verb “work.” He always took us to the Stake Farm, as well as teaching us to tend a garden and yard. Dad never played favorites. We girls always coaxed him to tell us which of us were his favorite, but he never would. I believe there are qualities in each of us he admired and that he really had no “favorite.” Dad showed us by how he related to our mother how much he loved her and respected her. He never let us get away with anything that showed even a little disrespect toward her. I know dad’s personality has not changed just because he has moved on. Because of this, I know he misses her now. As for myself and my personal memories of him, I would want to mention the following: 1. Growing up, I was the “game player” of the family. No one else cared for games except my dad. He taught me to play chess and we spent many happy times being together in a game. 2. Dad had a special humor about him I’ve never seen before. He loved people and was quick to have them feel at ease around him. I was always proud to be with him because of the ability he had to converse with anyone–be it a close friend or a newly met acquaintance. 3. Dad took to teasing well. One day I assured him there was no bucket of water waiting for him as he stepped into the backyard in his suit. Finding a huge bucket of water hitting him as he passed through the door surprised him, but he quickly regained composure and tried to get me back. 4. One camping trip Bill (Naegle) was chopping logs. My dad wanted to be productive, so he went and chopped twigs. Since then the nickname Twiggy has stuck along with other already acquired (Earl the Pearl, Skinny). 5. I remember Dad sitting in the middle of the living room and we girls when we were younger running around him, waiting for him to reach out and try to grab us. Little did we know at the time he made it a fantastic game by pretending he couldn’t reach us. 6. I was never content to sit and visit at the outdoor family parties we went to. I always wanted to hike and see “what was on the other side of the hill.” I never had to beg my dad to come with me even though he usually didn’t feel up to it. He always gladly went just to make me happy. 7. I used to meet him after work on the bike at the bus stop just so he would pump me home. I thought I had an appreciation of what having a patriarch of the home meant, but now that he is gone and I see the “hole”, I realize even more how our family was blessed to have him in our home. I remember somehow dad got a turkey and put it in the backyard for awhile. I think he got it as payment for fixing a watch. After awhile he decided it was time to kill it. I can’t remember who he had with him but the two of them chased it around the yard with us watching. I still remember it running with it’s head off. I often “got” to help dad grease the car. I hated the job because I never held the grease gun right. Dad and mom would take us camping every year. Mom was always so well prepared and that’s why I’m sure we had such an enjoyable time. One year I remember that we had the tent set up and then someone found a better place so we picked up the tent by the poles and moved it. The other campers wondered what in the world was going on. Items not in his history: Earl said he and his friends would hang younger kids on coat hooks at school. He loved to take long walks with his brown and white cocker spaniel, Babs. Earl said they went to Salt Lake on the Bamberger train one day. They took his mother in one side of Kress’es store and out the other and she was lost. He tried to teach his father how to drive his green Oldsmobile. Instead of watching where he was going, he watched his feet and went into the ditch.


Contributor: balenstar Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

The stork arrived on September 11th, 1889 in Springville, Utah at the family home bringing a son they would name James Albert Giles. He was the son of James Giles and Mary Ann Giles. Albert’s mother, Mary Ann Giles married her first cousin, so never changed her name when she married. Albert guesses only one woman in a thousand who gets married doesn’t change her name. Albert was one of four children. He was the only son, his three sisters were: Sarah Ann, Lucy Jane, and Mary Emma. Lucy died March 13, 1887, two years before Albert’s birth. Albert’s sister married James Ellis, and she died October 14th, 1912. His sister Mary Emma never married but stayed at home. Mary Emma died April 3rd, 1939. Albert started school in the Third Ward School at the age of six. He also attended the Dinwoody School, the Washington School, and graduated from the eighth grade in 1905. He was baptized September 11th, 1899, in Springville, Utah, by O..M. Mower in the Mower home (now Cragun’s Market). At the age of twelve, he was ordained to the office of Deacon; at fourteen, a Teacher; at sixteen, a Priest; and at nineteen, an Elder in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. After graduating from eighth grade, he took a bookkeeping course from I.C.S. School, but never did anything with it. He went to work hauling coal and lumber with his father for Deal Brothers and Mendenhall Store. Albert did this for many years, and then bought a farm from his Uncle George Giles. Albert and his father farmed for a few years until Uncle Sam called Albert into the Army in the First World War in September of 1918. He served five months in Camp Kearney, California. This was about four months after he married Bertha Mae Powers. Bertha Mae Powers came to Utah with her aunt and uncle, Mr. & Mrs. J. O. Leet from Kentucky. They met at her aunt and uncle’s place in Springville. She lived with them in the old Mark Cook home, which was on the old road south of Eddington Cannery Factory. Cars were very rare in those days so most of the courting was done on bicycles. Albert would ride his bicycle out to see her, and then ride it back home (a two mile trip each way). Sometimes he took the horse and buggy. He and Bertha were married May 8th, 1918 in the Salt Lake Temple, and were sealed for time and eternity. To this union, three daughters and two sons were born in Springville, Utah. Albert Powers, born April 20, 1921, died shortly after birth. Ruth, born June 4th, 1922. Baby Giles, born April 7th, 1924, and died shortly thereafter. Wilbert Anthony, born August 7th, 1925. Another daughter was born February 15th, 1929, but was stillborn. Bertha was very sick all the time she was carrying her children. She had to be very careful, and had to have help with her work because of her ill health. Albert was very good to her and did much of the work around the house. He also cooked many meals, and baked cakes and pies. Bertha Mae Powers Giles died February 16th, 1929 in childbirth. Their baby daughter also died. This left him with two young children to care for. Albert had been happily married for eleven years and it was a great loss to him when his sweetheart died. His mother and sister lived next door to him and they helped look after the two children. Shortly thereafter, Ellen Biggs Teasdale moved to Springville from Castlegate to live with Grandma Teasdale and her son, Joseph. Joseph married Mabel Jensen from Brigham City. Ellen decided to move to an apartment with her four children, which was about three blocks away from them, and continued working in her grandmother’s store. Especially at night Albert would suffer great loneliness, and would walk uptown to try to get his mind off his sadness. Ann Teasdale ran a grocery and confectionery store, which stayed open until about nine o’clock. Albert usually stopped there and visited with the clerk, Ellen Biggs Teasdale, who was helping in the store. He found out that she lived in the same neighborhood as he did. Ellen was a daughter-in-law to the manager. One night he asked Ellen if he could walk home with her. She said, “Yes.” They walked home together almost every night after that. Ellen, too, was very lonely, as she had lost her husband in a mining accident in the Castle Gate coal mine just ten days after Albert’s wife died. He was riding on the last coal car coming out of the mine. When the car reached a certain point, a big rock fell and broke his back in two places. He lived for twenty-one hours after the accident, never regaining consciousness. The doctors said he probably would have been cripples and in a wheelchair the rest of his life if he had lived. He was very independent and didn’t want anyone to wait on him, and would have had a difficult time adjusting to this condition. She was left with four children: Amy, who was 12; Edith Mildred, who was 11; Berniece, who was 8; and Melvin James, who was 5. One evening, when Albert was dating Ellen, they went to a movie. After walking her home and bidding her goodnight, the police stopped him and frightened him to no end. That night a robbery had occurred on one railroad car that a railroad worked used often. He said that after that robbery, he was really frightened. When the police saw who he was, they let him go. After this incident, he never did walk down Fourth West by the railroad tracks. He would go up to Third West, over to First North, then half a block west to his home. Albert and Ellen married May 22nd, 1930 in the Salt Lake Temple for time only, as Ellen had previously been sealed to William Henry Teasdale. They had quite a unique honeymoon after their marriage. They took their six children – two of Albert’s and four of Ellen’s – on the honeymoon with them. They went to Salt Lake City for four or five days and went sightseeing on the bus. They went to the Utah State Capitol building, Lagoon, Saltair, Liberty Park as well as other places of interest. The family took a train ride to the different points of interest in the city, as they didn’t have a car. Albert and Ellen rented a room in the Hamilton Apartments with a kitchenette and two double beds. The newlyweds slept in one double bed and the six children slept crosswise on the other one. The children ranged in ages from twelve to four. The six children surely enjoyed the honeymoon. It isn’t often that children get to go on a honeymoon with their parents. Albert asked Ellen prior to their marriage if she would rather have a bathroom or cellar fixed in the house. After some thought, she decided she would rather have a bathroom. The bathroom was put where the pantry had been. In due time, she also got a cellar, a wash house, a granary and two more rooms added onto the house. Albert was a farmer most of his life. The family arose early and retired late. He took care of thirty-five acres of ground. The crops planted were alfalfa, wheat, barley, sugar beets, corn and potatoes. In the summertime, the whole family was kept busy thinning, blocking and hoeing beets, weeding corn and potatoes, hauling hay and shocking wheat and barley. He always had cows; horses, pigs and chickens, and he raised most of the feed for the cows, chickens and pigs, except for the mash. Most of the animals were raised for meat, such as pigs, calves and chickens. The money wasn’t too plentiful, but his family never went hungry. They always had their own butter, milk, eggs and meat. He also used to buy flour from the wheat he sold. Ellen made her own bread, usually baking eight loaves every other day, and buying some when she ran out. During the winter months very little farm work was done. Albert did the chores each night and morning. He also helped Ellen with her work. He liked to listen to the radio and one day while he was listening, they were giving recipes. If he remembers correctly, Ellen was at Relief Society. The cake recipe sounded good and when they repeated it, he wrote it down. He made the cake, which was good and a pleasant surprise for Ellen when she returned. During his marriage to Ellen he farmed and worked for Springville City for about nine years. When he retired from Springville City he rented his farm out. Four sons were born in Springville, Utah to this marriage: Earl Biggs, born February 21st, 1931. He died of cancer at his home in Kaysville, Utah on October 28th, 1983. Kenneth Biggs, born August 28th, 1932; Max Biggs, born April 4th, 1934; and Richard Marlin, born July 20th, 1935. All were born in the family home at 360 West 100 North, Springville, Utah. It was quite a surprise to Albert when his wife, Ellen, didn’t have to spend much time in bed when she was pregnant. He was so concerned about her health that at times she became upset with him. All of the housework Ellen did with the help of the children without having to hire anyone to do anything for her. Each child had his or her chores and did them well. One daughter did the washing and another did the ironing. The other two daughters helped with the dishes and cleaning and the sons helped with the chores. As a family, they made many adjustments. It was very hard to try to raise three different families in one home, and to have perfect harmony. It takes time for each to adjust to the others. They all had to learn to work toward the same goal. It really takes a wonderful man and woman to blend their families, and then have a third and rearing them all well. Some children seemed to make the adjustment better than others. When Albert and Ellen were married, Albert would stay home from Sunday School and prepare dinner (including cake) while the rest of his family went to church. One Sunday morning, he announced he was going to Sunday School too. He went every Sunday from then on, unless he was ill or unable to go. He told his wife that if it wasn’t for having dinner right at noon, he would go to church. Ellen said she could arrange to have dinner at noon and the whole family could still go to church. The family would get the vegetables cooked and set them back on the stove to keep warm. They would cook the roast before church and leave it on the back part of the stove, away from the direct heat. Someone would make the Jell-O the day before, and when church was out, dinner was soon on the table. When Albert’s first wife was ill so much of the time, he devoted all his time to her. He would stay home with her and prepare dinner. They were creatures of habit, and it took a while to get back in the habit of going to Sunday School again. It was quite a sight to see all the Giles’ family as they came to church. There were ten children and two adults, making twelve in all. They were in church unless they were ill. They trained their children from babyhood so they were well behaved. At one time, the Third Ward Elders hired a ‘one man’ (blind) orchestra from Provo. They had a series of dances for several winters and Albert and Ellen enjoyed them very much. They also enjoyed going to picture shows. All but one of the children finished high school. One married after she finished the tenth grade. Albert’s stepdaughter, Edith, went to LDS Business College in Salt Lake and received a diploma. Two sons were in the Armed Forces – Melvin was in the Army, and Wilbert served in the Navy. All the children were married in the temple. This was a good sign of the excellent training and example set for them by their parents. Most of the children were healthy except for the usual children’s diseases such as mumps, chicken pox, and measles. Two of the boys had their appendix out, and two others had rheumatic heart or rheumatic fever. Around the 4th of July 1950, Ellen was diagnosed with uterine cancer. Edith took her to Salt Lake City for treatments, which consisted of x-ray treatments for twenty days, then four days of radium treatments. Every three months she had to go back to Salt Lake for checkups to see if the cancer had spread. Sorrow struck on March 20th, 1951 when Ellen passed away from a heart attack. She had an appointment with her doctor in Salt Lake for a checkup, but she never kept it. This event left Albert with four unmarried sons. He accepted his responsibility willingly and did a wonderful job. His son, Kenneth, fulfilled a mission in the Great Lakes Mission for two years, and also served two years as a Stake Missionary in the Kolob Stake. After Ellen’s death, his daughter, Ruth, and stepdaughter, Edith did the washing and ironing for their father and brothers. After Edith moved, Ruth did it alone. By this time, Albert’s four unmarried sons were dating, and only those who have several sons dating at one time can really understand the number of shirts washed and ironed by Ruth. Ruth said that in one week she had 47 shirts to iron. She starched one of Kenneth’s shirts so stiff it would stand alone. In June 1952, Edith and Harold moved to Bakersfield, California. Edith had always been very close to her stepfather, partly because their birthdays were in the same month, and partly because their tastes were quite similar in most things. They always had a double celebration. Slowly Albert’s sons were marrying and leaving him alone more often. His children were very good to him and took him with them on trips, etc. No one realized the many lonely hours Albert spent at night after his children had gone back to their families. He spent much of his time visiting his family, going on outings with them, going to shows and watching television. While Earl and Max still lived at home, they bought a television, and left it for their father to enjoy when they left home. This helped him to fill some of his lonely hours. At this time he started to physically go downhill as to his health. He knew he had done his job of seeing his family reared properly and were married to lovely companions. He was ready to go whenever his Father in Heaven called him home. Albert lived all his life on the same lot where he was born, and never traveled much. His wife, Ellen, used to talk about going on a plane ride, but Albert said he would never ride in a plane unless he could keep one foot on the ground. Albert’s remarks concerning his plans for the future were “to live a good life as long as he was permitted to live.” He was married for a total of 32 years – some happy and some sad. He had lots of joy and some heartaches, but knew we can’t have all joy without some sorrow. Up to now he feels he has lived the best he could. He hopes he can live a long time yet to enjoy his sons, daughters and grandchildren. Albert’s stomach started giving him trouble. His son persuaded him to go to the doctor, but the doctor couldn’t find anything organically wrong with him. His teeth weren’t good, so he had four upper teeth pulled and a plate made. Nevertheless, he would not wear it very often. On March 17th, 1957, after Albert had been to his ward for meetings, he went to the Tenth Ward to Kenneth and Zella’s meeting. They were releasing Kenneth as a Stake Missionary that afternoon. After church, he went to Kenneth’s home for dinner, as he didn’t want to go home. Albert’s stomach was bothering him, so he asked Kenneth if he had some Alka Seltzer. Kenneth gave him some and he took it. He sat down in the armchair. Kenneth looked up after hearing an unusual noise, and found his father was stiff. The doctor and fire department were called, but it was too late and they could not revive him. He had a heart attack and quietly passed away. He was buried March 20th, 1957 in the Evergreen Cemetery next to his first wife, Bertha and one of their children. At the time of his death he was a High Priest in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was quite a shock to Kenneth and to Zella who was pregnant and due to go to the hospital at any moment. In fact the doctor was more worried about Zella than he was about Albert. Zella was all right and the baby was born the end of March. Ken and Zella gave up their apartment because they couldn’t bear to go in it. They moved in with Zella’s mother. It was doubly hard for Kenneth, as he had been with his mother, Ellen, when she had her heart attack and passed away. Uncanny as it may seem, it was six years previously that his wife, Ellen had died. She passed away on March 20th, 1951 and was buried March 23rd, 1951. Albert passed away on March 17th, 1957 and was buried March 20th, 1957. Although Albert’s children and stepchildren and their spouses were sad at his death, they would not have called him back to his great loneliness. They all felt their father and stepfather would be much happier with his wife, Bertha, children, parents and the rest of his family who had preceded him in death. If they, as Albert’s children, can live worthily as Albert did, they will have no regrets when they are called to meet their Father in Heaven. His children are all married and raising families. Earl worked for Duke Jewelry and is now an instrument technician at Hill Air Force Base in Ogden, Utah. Kenneth worked for Pine Tree Service in Provo. He is now working for the Federal Fish Hatchery in Springville. Max drove Milk Truck for Grant Robbins. He is now working for Pole Line in Provo. Marlin is working for Utah Service, Inc. in Springville, Utah. Wilbert is a cabinetmaker at Ferre’s Mill in Provo, Utah. Melvin worked at Ironton, and is now working for Reily Tar and Chemical Company in Provo, Utah. Ruth works at Utah Valley Hospital in Provo, Utah. Edith works as a stenographer for Utah County Welfare, now known as Reg IV Division of Family Services in Provo, Utah. Albert has five grandchildren on the Giles side, and fifteen grandchildren on the Teasdale side, making a total of twenty prior to his death. Written by his stepdaughter, Edith Teasdale Miner Additions by Shirley C. Giles, daughter-in-law: Positions he held in the church that we are aware of: Secretary and counselor in the Elder’s Quorum. He served as a Ward Teacher for many years. As a boy he chummed with Richard Johnson and George Witney, the Coffman boys, and also William Witney. William died 2 months later while undergoing a heart test on Dr. Judd’s table and there wasn’t anything they could do to help him. When it is our time to go, we will go. During his life he had the opportunity to serve on jury duty, which he accepted as his duty. It was a murder trial. While serving he had to stay at the Hotel Roberts in Provo. They weren’t allowed to go home until the case was finished. He almost always wore overalls as his clothing while working. When it was time to clean up he changed into pants and a shirt or a suit. Always looking neat and clean.

Life timeline of Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles

Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles was born on 6 Aug 1925
Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles was 5 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles was 19 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles was 30 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles was 39 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles was 52 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles was 64 years old when Cold War: Fall of the Berlin Wall: East Germany opens checkpoints in the Berlin Wall, allowing its citizens to travel to West Berlin. The Berlin Wall was a guarded concrete barrier that physically and ideologically divided Berlin from 1961 to 1989. Constructed by the German Democratic Republic, starting on 13 August 1961, the Wall cut off West Berlin from virtually all of surrounding East Germany and East Berlin until government officials opened it in November 1989. Its demolition officially began on 13 June 1990 and finished in 1992. The barrier included guard towers placed along large concrete walls, accompanied by a wide area that contained anti-vehicle trenches, "fakir beds" and other defenses. The Eastern Bloc portrayed the Wall as protecting its population from fascist elements conspiring to prevent the "will of the people" in building a socialist state in East Germany.
Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles was 65 years old when Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison outside Cape Town, South Africa after 27 years as a political prisoner. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was the country's first black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism and fostering racial reconciliation. Ideologically an African nationalist and socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 1991 to 1997.
Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles was 79 years old when Facebook, a mainstream online social networking site, is founded by Mark Zuckerberg. Facebook is an American online social media and social networking service company based in Menlo Park, California. Its website was launched on February 4, 2004, by Mark Zuckerberg, along with fellow Harvard College students and roommates Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes.
Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles died on 24 Aug 2010 at the age of 85
Grave record for Wilbert Anthony 'Bill' Giles (6 Aug 1925 - 24 Aug 2010), BillionGraves Record 1522126 Springville, Utah, Utah, United States