Wayne Elisha Kartchner

20 Jan 1903 - 8 Jun 1988

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Wayne Elisha Kartchner

20 Jan 1903 - 8 Jun 1988
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Wayne Elisha Kartchner (20 Jan 1903 - 8 Jun 1988) at Mifflin Cemetery in Gahanna, Franklin, Ohio, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Wayne Elisha Kartchner
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Wayne Elisha Kartchner


Mifflin Cemetery

Olde Ridenour Rd
Gahanna, Franklin, Ohio
United States

Headstone Description


Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Wayne Elisha...

We found more records about Wayne Elisha Kartchner.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Wayne Elisha


Wayne Elisha Kartchner is buried in the Mifflin Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Contributor: vwsheldon Created : 4 years ago Updated : 4 years ago

LIFE OF ELLEN IRETA HAYMORE BRADSHAW I was born in Douglas, Arizona the youngest child of Franklin Demarcus Haymore and Mary Ellen (Mazie) Wilson Cluff Haymore. My brother Franklin was 3 ½ years older than I was and we two grew up together. We had many half brothers and sisters already grown and married with families before we came along. Many of their children were close to our ages and became our dearest pals. In Douglas where I spent my earliest years I remember my brothers Adrum and his wife Mary Ann and their family. They lived next door to us on 8th Street. Anna Lee was my dearest friend and pal and seemed like a sister and Franklin had Roscoe for a close companion. Other brothers I remember in Douglas along with their wives and families were Lynn, or David F., Ed, Walter, Millard and Lester. Of my sisters I remember Emma and Tenna living at home with us before they were married only briefly. Mildred was married and had a family and also Pearl. Family dinners and get-togethers were great fun and I used to look forward to them. We children had many good times together. We moved to Gilbert and lived on a farm when I was still in elementary school. A few miles away on the base line lived my brother Arthur and his wife Abby and their large family. Also nearby lived my brother LeRoy Cluff and his family and my sister Mildred and her family. Going to visit them was always fun and exciting. I remember hearing my father say that a farm was a better place to raise a family than in town. We had our orchard and our garden and our cows and chickens. My parents worked very hard to take care of us. Then my father became very ill and had to have an operation and was never well again. I remember how excited we were when he finally came home from the hospital, after many months away. He used to love having his married children come to visit him. When Adrum and Mary An would come from Douglas I remember he would always ask my father to play the violin. After some persuasion my father would pick up the old violin and play “Dixie” with my mother accompanying him on the piano. He liked music, but felt bad about the fact that he was never taught to sing. I never heard him sing. His favorite hymns were Rock of Ages and Redeemer of Israel. I graduated from the eighth grade at Gilbert and then we moved away, but before this we took a trip to North Carolina where my father was born and raised. He wanted to go back home one more time and show it to us and also he felt the need to gather genealogy. The trip was arranged this way. My mother and father rode the train along with Arthur and Abby and their youngest child, Ruthie, who was only a baby, while the rest of us drove two cars. Lynn and family in one car and in the other car Frank and I and my sister Emma. It took us about 10 days by car, as we didn't hurry, and my father and all were glad to see us when we arrived. I remember we were at one of the relatives homes when we all got together and he was so happy to see us all and glad to know we had a safe and pleasant trip. He pulled me down on his lap in the big rocking chair he was sitting in and I remember him telling everyone, “You know, the older I get the more I appreciate my family.” That instance is one of the fondest memories I have of my father. Then, a year or two following this trip my father built us a new home in Mesa and we moved to Mesa. A year later both my parents died, it was the summer of 1931. Frank had just graduated from Mesa High School and I was just a freshman. It wasn't a happy year there in Mesa because my parents were so ill, especially my father, and he suffered a great deal. He called for the Elders to administer to him several times. On one of these occasions I remember that after wards he said to us, “Just as soon as they put their hands on my head the pain left me.” So, for awhile he was free of the terrible pain, but for many months he had to endure it. He died on the 8th of July 1931 in Douglas. My mother had died just a month before on the 7th of June in Phoenix following an operation for removal of a goiter. Her death was sudden and tragic. We were called in the middle of the night to rush to the hospital and soon after we arrived they told us she was dying and so we watched her die. She was buried in Douglas, My father was already in Douglas. He was taken to the funeral in an ambulance and just a month later he died too. I stayed the summer in Douglas with Mary Ann and her family. About two years before this her husband Adrum and son Roscoe had been killed in a plane crash, and also a daughter Katie, a lovely young woman, had died in an automobile accident. Lester took sick and died suddenly and was buried in Mesa. His wife Erma and son Lester Jr. and daughter moved to Salt Lake City and we didn't get to see them very often after that. So Mary Ann and her lovely family helped me get through the summer. They took care of me and I stayed in their home. Anna Lee was everything to me then. Before school started I received a letter from Tenna inviting me to come to Prescott where she lived with her husband, Merle Allen and two daughters, Adonna and Joan, inviting me to go on a trip to Washington to see our sister Emma and her family. So I did this and we had a nice trip and when we got back to Prescott I stayed with them and made my home there. My brother Franklin was called on a mission about this time. He filled an honorable mission to the Northern States. I stayed with Tenna for several years and attended High School in Prescott. This was a happy time. She was always so sweet, kind and patient, loving everyone, and Merle was so good too, making me feel one of them and doing so much for me. Then, one summer while visiting Douglas with Mary Ann and family I was invited by Leah, Anna Lee's oldest sister, who was married by then, to come and stay with her family in Palo Alto, California where her husband, Wayne Kartchner, was teaching and going to school. This was a tempting offer and I decided to take it, and I spent a wonderful year with them in California. They helped me so much, inspired me to do better, and encouraged me to finish school and study music. They had two small daughters then, Joyce and Wynnette, and their home w always a nice place to be. The following year I attended B.Y.U. High School in Provo, Utah. Wayne helped me get enrolled. After graduation in spring I spent the summer in Prescott with Tenna. Then in the fall I went to Provo again and attended B.Y.U. for a quarter. Then Anna Lee and I journeyed to Phoenix, Arizona and enrolled in the Phoenix School of Beauty Culture. After a few months there I met a boy, Elmer Willis Johonson. We fell in love and were married April 1, 1938. We lived in Salt Lake City first, then in Prescott, Arizona, then in Mesa, Arizona, where our first child was born. We named him Elmer Walter Johnson. When he was only about a month old our country was thrown into another war when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. When Walter was 2 years old my husband was drafted into the U.S. Army and I again moved to Prescott to be near Tenna during my time alone. Soon after moving to Prescott and living near Tenna in the little house in her back yard, I found that I was pregnant again. Adonna was married and home again too, as her husband was in the service and she was pregnant, too. So that year we had our babies. Also, my dearest friend, Nina Bell Tenney Parry had another baby that year. Leslie was born in Prescott while his father was away. He came to see us on leave when Leslie was a month old on his way to the South Pacific. We didn't see him again for a long time or know where he was exactly, but we wrote letters and looked forward to the time when we cold be together again. Then, finally the war was over and he came home again. We were happy, but not for long. He had changed and I had too. Finally I could see I had to start a new life, so I divorced him in 1948. My brother, LeRoy Cluff, living on a dairy farm in Chandler, moved us to his farm where we lived in a small house of his, and he took care of us. Both he and Helen, his wife, were so good to us. I was completely dependent on them. I remember at this time my brother Millard Haymore sent me $100 on each of the two Christmases I spent in Chandler after I was divorced. I appreciated it so much. At this time I had a hearing problem with a 75% to 80% hearing loss, and wore no hearing aid. I read in the newspaper that the State helped handicapped people to become self supporting through the State Department of Vocational Education. I looked into this and they did help me and I was able to get a hearing aid and go to school again. I graduated from a school of Cosmetology in Phoenix and passed the State Board Exam and got my license to work in a beauty shop. I found a job in Mesa and worked there for several months and was able to become partly self-supporting. Then Pearl came to see me out at Chandler and brought a friend with her. He was a nice looking middle-aged man, and single. Pearl said after the introduction, “He's just like your are, divorced and alone.” So I met Samuel Leonard Bradshaw. He promptly asked me for a date. That night when he came he brought flowers. I was 33 and he was 40. We became acquainted, he told me his story, and I told him mine. He was a good man, religious and devoted to the church just as Pearl had said. She also said he would never be rich, which was true too. Anyway, he had four children, two boys and two girls, Sam, Jeneane, Sue and Charley. Charley and Leslie and were the same age, 6 years. I got the impression he wanted to get married again that very first night we met. Sure enough he proposed within a few days and since I thought he was great and was quite crazy about him by then, I accepted and we were married in the Temple June 23, 1950. We lived in Mesa at 137 East 1st Street near his parents. We had six children to start with and immediately I became pregnant. Bobby was born the next year (Robert Lynn) and Frankie the following year (Franklin Gene). Jimmy came next (James Loren) and Bret last (Bret Alan). Walter and Leslie were adopted and sealed to Leonard and me. We moved to our present house at 1647 East 1st Place before Jimmy was born, nearly 14 years ago. Sara, Jeneane, Sue Walter and Leslie are all married and Charlie plans to be married in June of this year. We just found our last night. (March 15, 1970) Bob is 19 now and old enough to go on a mission and wants to. Frank will be 18 in June and will graduate from High School this spring. Jimmy will soon be 13 and Bret is 11. Leonard and I are coming along in years. Nearly 4 years ago Leonard was in a serious car accident which left him with many bruises and broken bones and his health has not been good since. However, he is trying to work again and I am working, too. Bob and Frank work part time and go to school. We hope they all turn out well. We hope we do, too. My brother Ed, Millard, Walter, Lynn and Arthur are all dead now, also my beloved sister Tenna. But their children and grandchildren are here, all wonderful relatives to be proud of. I still have two wonderful brothers left, Frank and LeRoy, who have loved and helped me throughout my life and have raised wonderful families. And I still have two wonderful sisters, Mildred and Emma. I love both of them and their families. I, too love and appreciate my family and loved-one more as I get older. I know I should, too, because they deserve it. Walter was called to the Southern Eastern Mission. He left in January 1962 and filled a mission there. Leslie was called to the Swiss Mission in August 1963 and filled a mission there. He then went into Italy when that mission was opened.

THE BUILDING YEARS by John Arnold Haymore

Contributor: vwsheldon Created : 4 years ago Updated : 4 years ago

THE BUILDING YEARS by John Arnold Haymore (written in July 1993) My interest in building things started very early. Maybe a bit earlier than 1929. Around home at 1143 8th , Douglas, Arizona I built pigeon pens, rabbit hutches, and elevated slide consisting of a wide plank and 1x2 guides on the plank and another board with matching 1x2s underneath to keep it from jumping the track. We would grease the ways and the car we would ride on would really come zipping down the plank. Continued building rabbit hutches wherever we lived in Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Mesa and Saint David. In Grammar School in Douglas I could pull As in shop. Built a small pine box with a sloping lid that is quite good. I still have it today and use it for keys etc. I also built a magazine rack and a piano stool. These last two have become lost in all the moves, but, I did get the blue ribbon at the Cochise county fair. Still have the ribbon on our wall. Incidentally, in our garden five years ago, here in Saint David, this would be 1988 I grew the largest banana squash in the world according to records in the library. It weighted 48 lbs was 52 inches long and took first prize and grand prize in the San Pedro Valley and Cochise County Fair. In Douglas High School shop was one of my favorite classes. I had a very fine teacher named England for shop, auto mechanics and driver ed. He taught me tool sharpening, how to dress down a board by squaring it up. Plane one face, square one edge, reduce to width, plane one end, reduce to length. Learned from Mr. England no monkey-shines. He was really all business in class. We got along fine and he rewarded me with grades to match. In College at the B. Y. U. I also took shop classes learning more about tools, about stair building, concrete and it's additives. While in Los Angeles in the early 1940ies I took night classes in drafting and blue-print reading. Here I built a bunk bed in my spare time in a small basement under our apartment. We only had one bed room and we put this in the dining room for visitors. This bed was well-made with ladder and slats. Wish I had it today for we have a small bed room where it would work just fine. My memory fails me where it could be. In Los Angeles worked as a helper for one of Uncle Millard's friends on apartments. Of course, I was plenty green as to the construction of buildings, but I was an eager learner. In other areas of construction I was way ahead of the helpers. I could build saw-horses way better then any they had and in fitting boards, also way ahead of time. In 1943 we moved from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City and bought a home on Highland Drive from Bernard P. Brockbank a neighbor across the Street. Little did I know at the time the importance he would be to me the rest of my life. I worked for him as a Carpenter building home in Rose Park. (yesterday, July 8, 1993) In Wilcox, Arizona I met one of our Missionaries who lives in one of the homes in Rose Park in SLC). I later worked for Bernard a short time as a Real Estate Salesman. Later we built a couple of homes together. We went on hunts together in Cedar Valley, etc. Bernard was called to be the Mission President to Scotland and Dan was called there on a Mission. Later Bernard was called by Pres. McKay to be a General Authority. When we were called to the Iowa-Illinois Mission, Bernard was our Area Representative and came to all our conferences. So it has been a long association of over 40 years. Most tenacious man I ever knew, and smart. In Rose Park Bernards foreman put me in charge of building the septic tanks and lines for each house. The soil was beautiful sandy clay and easy to dig. I could dig by hand the tank, form it and pour it in one day. I made collapsible forms for the inside walls of the tank and dug the earth square enough to be the outside forms. This is called single forming. I had forms for the li to one side with a couple of rods for reinforcing. The second day I would dig the laterals (three) of them that began at the distribution box and fanned out 30 or 40 ft long. The truck would bring the gravel and dump it for me so I could wheel and dump it in each lateral leveling it with a transit. We were using clay pipes with holes in them, then the third day I would complete operation and ready for the next house. I quite enjoyed the hard work and did them a good job, making the tanks and trenches as square and nice as I could. Once asked our foreman Harv. Why then didn't have a backhoe do this phase of the work and he said I was doing it for less than the backhoe could do it. They were probably paying me 10 to 12 dollars a day. I became an expert on septic tanks and then they asked me to go up to another subdivision they had with more expensive houses which I declined for I wanted more experience actually framing and building them. I'm an expert on new ones but would rather now be an expert of used ones. We have had some problems with ours here and I would rather move than open one up. In about 1944 we were still living on Highland Drive in the Holladay Ward when they asked asked me to be the M-Men Teacher and Coach the Basketball team. Our Mutual President was Ken Biesinger, really a nice guy. Ken had just received the Contract to construct two huge barns at the Salt Lake Stock Yards. He asked me to come to work for him and run these jobs and at a larger wage than what I was getting. I made the change and it worked out fine. Learned a lot about barn building and concrete pouring. Also, I met Ken's brother, Arvil, who I worked for building houses when Ken was not busy. Arvil was a builder who believed in staying small and doing most of the work including forming the walls for the basement walls using joists and sheeting materials from the floor and roof. Plus, he mixed his own concrete and poured the walls. It was hard work and I enjoyed it. On a shovel few could out do me. Three would work on the mixer, two on wheel-barrows and Arvil would handle the spotting and tamping. Once we started we had to mix and pour until finished. Some time this would be 35 to 40 yds of concrete. We had to build the runway completely around the inside of the house and a ramp up to push the wheelbarrows. It took strength and balance to do this and plenty of skill in dumping the barrow so as not to spill too much. The next day we would start stripping the forms and framing the house. Thru Arvil I met their uncle George Biesinger and worked for him building Chapels. Rush Christensen was their foreman, whom I had met when we were machinsts for Const. Engineers and Remington Arms during the war. While working for the Biesingers I met George Ebert and a wonderful friendship followed. After our jobs played out George and I formed a partnership and built several houses together. George was far more successful than I was. He paid more attention to bidding. He and his sons now build chapels and they have done very well. Rush was now the foreman for Oakland Construction and they built fine homes and chapels. I went to work for them and continued working for others also. There is nothing permanent about construction work except ending and starting. Also worked twice for Layton Construction. Once for Brown Construction. Wanted to build for myself and the opportunity came when we bought a lot from my Sister Ada Olmstead. We built a two story home with a full basement next door to Ada and this is where most of the children were raised and Elaine and Joe are still there. We kept improving and expanding until we had four rooms and a bath downstairs plus fruit room and two bedrooms and bathe on the main floor and three bedrooms and bathe upstairs. The upstairs was also built as an apartment with an outside stair to the upstairs. This was a real challenge for me as I did the carpentry with some assistance on the roof, all the concrete and all the painting. Poor neighbors, I would sometimes be up at 3 a.m. Hammering and sawing to complete it and the temp 10 below. With several sons coming along the opportunity for them to work for us and earn some money for themselves presented itself with few problems from customers. On occasion I would get some static from others, but, as soon as they would see these boys of ours work and the skills they had the complaints vanished. One elderly couple wanted to adopt Bruce when I got back from a job in Cedar City, Utah and they had complained the most when I left him in charge of their job and he was I think 14. The opportunity to work with the boys and to teach them to work was a great blessing to our family. They learned a trade and earned some money which stayed in the family. We knew where they were and what they were doing. Most of them started coming to the job when they were six or seven. By the time they were a Junior or Senior in High School they were carpenters and cement finishers. Oh, Dan was fast at nailing up the finish work. He went with me to Richfield, Utah and nailed the window casing as I cut and fitted it. We were working for Glen Tucker, one of the grandest guys I ever worked for. Dan was probably a Soph in High School, still, Glen let him work outside and let John do our cooking and cleaning in the motel. He was probably 12. We worked hard and played hard. The manager of the Standard Station we were building knew where the fish were on Fish Lake and we would be thru by about 2 or 3 we had started early and we would load up our gear and roar up to the lake. Our guide would take us out in his boat and chum the fish with some corn and we would go to catching. It would be late when we got back but a diversion and a lot of fun. The next day John would cook the fish and we would invite our boss to supper. He thought John was A OK. One of Glen's workers complained about the boys working when so young, but that is what is needed not. There are so many young people running around with nothing to do their parents need jailing. The association with Glen Tucker was a choice one for me. We were in the same Ward and I worked for him all over Utah building Service Stations. Although Glen was not active he was a gentleman and one of the fairest in the land. Letting me keep my own time and never a question. Leaving me in charge of the job when he had to attend to another one. Worked for Glen until he fell from the scaffolding with a heart attack. We workers were the pall-bearers. George Herbert was one of them. His patience was amazing which the following story will show. He sent part of the crew to Green River, Utah, to lay out the station and get as much of the brick work up as they could while we were finishing up another. When we got down there they had the brickwork to the square but the building was on the wrong lot. I fully expected a chewing out but Glen blamed no one. He just said ho ho lets start tearing it down. We built two stations in Green River. On the second one is where George got the nick name “Fuzzy.” Glen was always picking up hitch-hikers and putting them to work for a week. He wouldn't tell us their name, just bring them over. I knew this kid was getting more upset each time George called him Fuzzy. By Thursday he said don't you call me Fuzzy again. George and I were in the office of the station which had a ceiling of 14 ft. high waiting for our next order. George hollered down hey Fuzzy bring me a hammer and he sprung up from the floor and started up that 14 ft ladder. George went clear to the top with his head against the ceiling then kept stepping the kids fingers as he came up the rungs and all the time George hollering down boy, down boy. No harm was done George learned his real name and we continued on with the job, except after pay day that week end the kid stole Glen's tools. Glen built a Station in Moab, one in Granger, one in Provo, one in Escalante, Utah. I did the finish work on most of them. Glen appeared as a witness for me on a home I built just thru the block from where Valerie now lives. I made the mistake of giving the people the keys and letting them move in before it was paid for. Glen and his brick crew had done the brick work for me and Rush had helped on it also as had George. Their attorney had gone to school with Frank and me. In questioning Glen he said: I wish I could build a house that good: Rush was great and jumped right back at the attorney when he said the concrete was structurally unsound saying you don't know what you are talking about. You cannot keep concrete from cracking nor can you keep it from leaking water. We won and they appealed to the Supreme Court where we also won. The judges ruling was based on this. Home buyers cannot become judges upon what constitutes passable workmanship. It only has to meet the average of the community and my workmanship and materials was far above average. When we were working the Green River Stations Glen let us work 12 hrs a day and paid us 4 hrs a week to get down there plus our room and board while there. We..., Laird Snelgrove is George's Uncle so he would put us up 3 gallons of ice cream with enough dri-ice to hold until we got there, we would usually stop and test it on the way to wake us up so to speak, then, the waitresses at the cafe where we ate would put it in the freezer for us and after each meal would bring us a dish of Snellgrove ice-cream. We would get paid for 72 hrs a week which really helped. It took four hrs each way. There were lots of Indians down that way and I tried to teach George not to call them: Blanket-Butts; until one day I called them the same. George had put in the tile floor in the rest rooms and a barricade to keep them out. A bus load stopped and headed for the rest rooms. Unable go get in one of them dumped in my tool box. About 1950 I got my contractors license in Utah and started building houses. I would buy a lot, get a mortgage, build the house and then try to sell it. Sometimes I would have a sale before starting. Sometimes the people would have a lot already and plans for me to build from. When every possible the boys would help me and they were truly great. All were adept with their hands and had keen minds. Leonard always kidded me it came from their Mother's side of the family. Jobs were scarce and it was a struggle to keep going. Sometimes I would fall back and work for others both in the carpenters trade and as a machinist as I still had my tools. For about a year I worked as a machinist at night and building a house in the day. It was hard for me to get my sleep even though we tried darkening the room and blinders on me. With lots of children it wasn't fair. I mentioned that we worked and played hard. We worked every Sat. every holiday except Christmas. ½ day on Thanksgiving. We often had a house to the point where we could leave it to go fishing or hunting or to a track meet or a ball game. They boys learned work and for the most part to like to work and in their professions and avocations have far surpassed anything I've done. Will try and include each one of the projects I can remember and also the special qualities each Son has: Dan was the fastest at hand nailing finishing work for me. John was the fastest lay out carpenter I've seen. Remembering several measurements from the blue-print and then laying it our on the plates. Doug the kindest and easy going yet a fine carpenter. Easy for me to see how he is successful with the public. Bruce the fastest to bring me tools and the fastest framer. Dave the youngest to work for me and to stay on the job for eight hours handing me the brick just the right height so I didn't have to bend over. Joe the most meticulous in digging the footings having them straight and square. Also the fastest roof nailer on the little carts. Didn't get to work much with Mark, but he is like Doug so gentle and kind he cannot help but succeed. The Church contacted my to go to Las Vegas and build two houses, a milking parlor, eating and drinking places in the corrals, shade for the cows and to pour enough concrete over the whole corral area. They would furnish housing for three of us or was it four plus excellent wages for all of us. There were three Stakes participating in the TRI-STAKE FARM. Probably the late 50ies or early 60ies. I know when they saw Bruce they were leery of what they were paying for him. I assured them that if he didn't earn every cent and more I would return it. At the end of the first week the Stake Pres. said Bruce had earned it and more. We lived in a trailer right at the farm and took turns with the cooking, cleaning, etc. Las Vegas was an amazing place as President Whipple was also Mayor and Valley Bank Manager. Pres. Taylor was Mayor of North Las Vegas and Pres. Gibson was Mayor of Henderson. Many of the important businesses were owned by L.D.S. People like concrete companies, heating and cooling, lumber, electric, etc. Once a week we would go and eat at one of the places on the strip. Great food and reasonable priced. We built the houses for $7200.00 apiece, which pleased them. Sat. we would have lots of volunteer help show up and we kept them busy. I installed a bulletin board at the gate and by Stake assigned them where to go. They had 160 acres all in alfalfa for the grade A Dairy and watered by the effluent water from Vegas which the church had for 99 years, filed on by Pres. Whipple. It never ran out and the hotter it got the more water they had. When we had lots of concrete to pour the members would furnish me with black finishers and they would do things mighty easy. It was here and on this job that I first saw a walking edger for side walks, etc. One of the Blacks asked me how much land the Church owned and when I showed him the corners of the property he said: Lawsy, lawsy, you all done own half of Las Vegas. The boys worked until time to return to school and Pres. Lines had us over for an outside barbecue. It was here we met one of the greatest families and friends we could ever want. Ed and Ethelyn Peterson. He help me at the farm. We had a standing invitation for Sunday dinner with them. Ed has been a H. C. and Bishop. His son Mark is a Dentist. What great people and Latter-day Saints they were to us. After completion of the Tri-Stake Farm I was so impressed with Las Vegas I bought a piece of property nearly in the middle of the place, sub-divided it and built four split level homes on it. They boys came down and helped me with these. I named the street Valerie after our oldest daughter. Ed Peterson worked for me and Ronald Haymore came down and worked for me. Before we finished them Las Vegas had slipped into a real slump and we could not sell them. The Bank was willing to accept them for the Mortgage and I signed them back to them. Have not been back to see their condition. This I can say for Las Vegas. They are as fine a Latter-day Saints there as any place I've been. I you get off the strip would would think you were in Mesa. Fine Chapels every other block. There is 14 Stakes there now and a Temple on a bear hill we used to pass going to the farm. The farm is now a fine golf course. Las Vegas means the springs. It was founded by the Mormons and was half way between San Bernardino and Salt Lake. It is over 20% L.D.S. I could show my Temple Recommend and cash a check. I don't know of any way to keep the building stories in the exact order in which they happened and the important thing is to get them into print and hope they will be of use in the future to someone. Thru Leah and Wayne I became acquainted with an Elderly couple from San Jose that had purchased a lot in St. George and needed a builder to built them a home there while they went on a 2 year Mission for the Church. We met and they mutually agreed to have me build it for them. I was to pick out the plans, built it, decorate it and have it all ready for their return. It was one block north of the Temple and two blocks west. We used plans from Intermountain Precision Homes in Ogden owned by the Wade Bros. This became an association for years that was advantageous to both of us. They boys and I became experts at erecting these excellent partly fabricated houses. They furnished the plans and materials and shipped them by truck to our location. Dave was not yet 6 years old and had missed the date by a couple of months to go to school so he accompanied me to St. George. I had a friend by the name of George Midgley living in St. George that was going to help with the construction. When he saw 6 year old Dave and he was supposed to help on the job all week he was not too overjoyed thinking we would be baby tending a lot of the time. Dave and I had the cab over camper to stay in and after work, the Dairy Queen, then the Library we would pull down by the river and camp for the night. This was long before the boom in St. George and no one gave us a problem. We worked long hours and the house shot up. Dave was a great comfort and help to me. We did our own brick work and Dave handed me most of the brick preciously the way I wanted them so as not to tire my back. Hard wood laying and brick laying is a back breaking job. While bringing the fire place brick thru the roof I was listening to the radio and the news of Pres. Kennedys assassination was announced. I could not believe it. This could not happen in America. It was 11:30 a.m. So we went to the Dairy Queen. The more I thought about it the sicker I got and lost my lunch. Another time they were oiling the street in front of the house and would have us blocked out for the day. We climbed in the truck, bought some steaks and headed for the camp grounds in Pine Valley. They were delicious and we enjoyed the stream and the outing. I found out later that Elaine had an emergency and needed help so she called Frank and he called the Sheriff in St. George and they tried unsuccessfully to locate us. Completed the house choosing the colors of drapes, carpeting, washer and dryer, etc. The Ostegars had put the money in the Bank with instructions to release draws to me as the building progressed. While building this I became acquainted with Ken and Marge Cannons who were Temple workers and wanted a new home on a lot one block south of the Temple. We picked out the plans, agreed on a price and started in and a wonderful association with the Cannons followed. They were wonderful people and Sr. Cannon had pecan trees that soon yielded some delicious pecan pies to help the work progress along. Ken worked every day with me as hod-carrier for the brick and any thing else that was needed. Wayne helped with the footings and John and Brent Birtcher came down on the weekends to shingle the roof. Ken Cannon and his wife were both retired school teachers and very kind and helpful to me. Even offering me a lot on the west corner as they had several to sell. Both these couples are gone now but I used to visit them when in St. George. Ken once took me thru the Temple and into the basement showing the spring of water that caused some problem at the beginning of construction. It is contained in a curbing that diverts it underground and away from the Temple. The offer on the lot was on condition I would build a home there and this was long before the boom started. There are three lots left near the Temple. I looked at them this year. On across the street N.E. From the Temple $129,000.00. Two three blocks north of the Temple $95,000.00 each. When I was building it was a quiet and peaceful town and not much stirring. I've always liked St. George and when George Ebert and I were working together we came down to look around and explore the place. We slept in the City Park and found a whole square block just south of the Temple that we took an option on buying and paid the owner $200.00 a month for several months while we had plans started and explored Fanny Mae to build apartments . The Government did not think there was a market for Apartments and we gave up our option and pursued other options. The Church now owns the square block and has built apartments for Temple worker. We move now to an A frame cabin I built for Bishop Pehrson in Driggs, Idaho. Took Dan, John and Bruce with me and Dave and his younger Brother that had arthritis so bad drove up in their car. (Pehrsons). We had the Cabin shipped up by the Ogden firm. I had gone up the week before and put in the footings and layed the foundation wall. We got along fine except for the rain which came down most of the time. This cabin was right on a fine fishing creek and the boys brought their tackle. We had the truck and camper and stayed right at the job-site. By Sat. night Dave Pehrson and John had the shingling done on the steep roof and he headed for home. It was rough working thru the rain but all the boys stuck in there until we had it completed. Have been back a couple time over the years and the cabin still looks fine. This is the first place I heard and saw a sand-hill crane. I could not believe, a racous call like that could come from a bird. They stand nearly 4 ft. tall and the Male has a red top on its head. We now have thousands of them that come to the Willcox plays each year. Built a home for Carl ____________in Provo, Utah. At the time I was building two four plexes for Keith and Pearl Stott in SLC, and a Phillips station in Cedar City, Utah. I was swamped trying to keep up with these three jobs and so far apart. I had Carls far enough along so it was closed in and the roof was on. I needed to be in Cedar City so I put Bruce in charge of Carls and he about had a kitten to leave a 14 year old boy in charge of his job and run off to Cedar City. I assured him I would be back in a week and fix any goofs Bruce made. When I came back Carl and his wife wanted to adopt Bruce and were amazed how much he knew. Bruce was living in the basement and staying right there on the job. I was hungry when I got back and Bruce invited me to eat with him. He had been paying for groceries etc, and when he saw the amount of cool-whip I had put on the jello he exclaimed “Dad that is a quarters worth.”' I really had a time finishing the Cedar City Phillips Station and without Bruce's and George Herbert's help probably would not of. I ran into some real crooks down there. Finally fired the brick masons and layed them myself. I stopped payment on their check and contacted the Contractors license bureau in SLC and they lifted their license as they were in trouble with the lumber and other suppliers. George came from Douglas with his tile and carpenter tools and stayed right at the job even working Sundays to help get the roof on while I went to SLC to see about the other jobs. John, Bruce and Randy Haymore came down and helped me with the punch list to get my final draw and then went on to Mesa where I had located a job framing for them. John and Doug took over the Stott job for me and pulled me thru on that one. Leonard Haymore had contacted me to build a house for him in Douglas. George and I finished up the Station, I collected the final draw from Carl and we headed for Douglas on Jan 1. We slept over at the Dam and arrived the next day in Douglas. Leonard had the water and power on so I went right to work on the foundation and floor. I had the truck and camper and Leonard let me stay at his first ranch which I enjoyed for it was peaceful and quiet and I would hunt coyotes on the way to work and again in the evening. I had some Eddy Arnold recordings plus other and listened to them most of the day and half the night. It is a large adobe with split shingle roof. George did the tile work and also helped with the carpentry. I also built Georges new home while there. He later put in a full basement to the rear with the largest living room and nicest I've seen. It is huge with a fireplace clear across the south end and gobs and gobs of tile and decorated as only Evelyn can decorate. I also built a house on A Avenue and 5th st. for Heber and Edna. This was the fartherest Ogden had ever shipped the components. George and I built that in six working days. One day I heard some brakes squeal and the Douglas inspector bounded in and informed me trusses would not pass the Douglas Code. The last time he has passed this corner it was vacant and three days later a house with a roof on was there. In quizzing me the inspector found out I knew more about building than he did when I informed him these trusses passed FHA and VA codes. Besides the only thing they were holding up was sunshine. Do not recall any of the boys coming down to help on these three houses. Built a house in Coleville east of SLC for a friend from Mesa who wanted a summer home where it was cool. This was an Ogden components and we started it a little late in the year and ran into some cold weather before it was finished. In fact we dried in the roof and shingled it next spring. It was a walk out basement to the east with a great view of the mountains. Ada came up each day and helped me with the cleaning. Mel Hagen was my painter and about the best I've seen. He smoked like a chimney and this was when there were lots of articles being written against smoking. Suggested he give up smoking but he said I'll give up reading first. Built a house for Alva Maxwell's Brother Elldrege in SLC. We got along fine and he and Alva helped me with the heavy work. Alva was excellent help and I liked to use him when I could. So dependable and conscientious. Went to work for ____________ Butcher and did the finish work on four houses in Kemmer, Wyoming, and four houses at Fontenel Dam in Wyoming. I would play the music night and day. Really liked the music by Bach and Beethoven. I could listen to it all day and half the night which I did. Kemmer, Wyoming is where the first J. C. Penny store was built. I used to go in it and look around and also to Pennys home there. It was winter time and so cold I could keep ice-cream on the window sill. Thru a recommendation from Louis Robbins a ___________ Peterson contacted me and wanted some apartments framed up. John was now a Frosh at the Y. and Bruce was 14 or 15. Doug was a Senior at Olympus and Joe was around 12 or 13. These apartments were four stories and half of the first story was in the ground. All were close to the center of SLC. Peterson had an elderly superintendent we called we called Ade same as my Dad. He was extremely helpful and a fine carpenter, but, from the old school and not used to speed. I purchased a fine cut off saw and Randy Haymore built a four wheel trailer to pull it on. I think Bruce still has it and Joe sold the second one that I used in Tucson on John's house. When we got organized and underway we did indeed frame apartments. John worked week-ends when he came from school, holidays etc. Haymores work, then they work some more. We could unbolt this saw from the trailer and as we completed one floor we would move it up the next. Peterson was paying each one of us wages to start with until we contracted them by the completion of each floor. We learned to put both the sub-floor, the insulation board, then the three-eights plywood down before we put up the interior partitions and we would shoot those things up a floor a week. John would lay out, one was on the saw, and all would haul materials. All would nail and away we would go. $4000.00 we would make some weeks. Oh yes Dave Pehrson would come and help us and he was good. He kept us looser as he wasn't as serious as Haymores, but, a fine worker. We worked for Peterson for 2-3 years until he saw how much we were making and learned how to do it then he got his own crew. But, it was an excellent job, close to home, good pay and good experience. I won the bid on a roof at the U of U. This was the joists and plywood. The same crew with Rodney Haymore from Mesa joining us. I bid it O.K., but the carpents had put the plate bolts right where the joists belong and we had a lot of extra work. It was hard work and I was glad when it was over. We made little 12x12 inch plywood seats with four rollers the size of skate wheel we would screw to the bottom AND the boys would sit on these to nail flooring and the plywood roofs. The jobs speeded up with this. Now they have the nail guns and go several times as fast. We built several fine homes near ours on 3350 so. Most of them in the snooty loop area and most on corner lots as they were the last to go in Sub-divisions, but they were excellent to build on. All of these fine brick homes with full basements, ginger-bread in the way of beautiful stone stone from the N.W. Corner of the State we used around the main door entrance or maybe the garage door entrances. Beautiful white color and I had a friend who could really lay that stone in the walls. We were not making anything on these, but the boys were earning and learning and this helped. One I sold to Kline Strong an Attorney in town for $45,000.00. After completion of the deal he gave me an extra grand. He was now in the Ward and we became good friends and he was good to our Sons in scouting etc. He loved to shoot pigeons and we would go out to Cedar Valley and bang away. I don't think he ever beat me but often vowed he would some day. We built the finest home I've ever built across from the Skaggs home. This had nine bedrooms, five baths and a four car garage and car port. It was finished up and down and a beautiful home with big shake-shingle roof. George came up to do the tile work and shingle the roof. He brought a fine Mexican helper with him. When they got to Spanish Fork he asked George what kind of a fork was a spanish fork. George didn't know and then they came to American Fork and they were puzzled what kind of a fork was an American Fork. George was unacquainted with the history of the Pioneers that came and how they named these two towns. I really wanted this home as my crown to all the houses I had built. With 15 of us in the family it would be the right number of bedrooms and baths, especially the latter. It cost me $90,000.00 to build and I figured we could pay the mortgage off in fifteen years. It was close to the Ward and would always be a credit to our skills as builders. But , it was not in the cards. Too many became involved in the plans and it was dropped. I was taking a Business Law class at the U of U and our teacher was _________ Rooker from Calif. And he and his wife were looking for a house. When they came and visited this one they agreed to buy it for $65,000.00. We would fix the front driveway which involved jack-hammering out and re-pouring a section which we did. Years later he built in Draper, closer to the Y where he was teaching. Don't know where he is now as they are divorced. Years ago I became interested in finding a parcel of land large enough to sub-divide and keep me busy for a few years. In driving around Pleasant Grove there was a sign on a whole square block, near third east and twelfth north. The party was in Calif. And thru correspondence and phone calls we were close to making a deal. I made out a proposal with a release clause after paying so much. I think in four years it would be paid for but a release clause of ¼ when a certain amount was paid. Made arrangements to meet them and John went with me and we consumated the deal with the local Bank holding the releases and the monies. The property divided into 24 lots and I built two houses and twelve apartments on it. Most of the lots were deeded to the subs that I owed for $1000.00 per lot. Pleasant Grove was a miserable place to build and the Mayor and City Council impossible to deal with. In spite, I named the cul-de-sac (Pass the buck circle) and one councilman jumped up and said he was not going to approve plans with a name like that. Then I would spend thousands on improvements and the next council and Mayor would have to have changes. Then the city inspector was so miserable to work with it was a wonder some one didn't shoot him. I made so many changes and endured wrath for so long , one day I got about 4 inches from his face and asked if I was paying the bill for the sewer and if he was hired to hurt me or to help me? We got along great after that and he did become a help rather than a hindrance. Another young guy appeared on the scene and wanted to pour some concrete for me. I needed a basement poured plus sidewalk and gutter which he agreed to do. I had to go to Arizona and when I came back the work that he had done was a disaster. The City would not accept it so I did not pay him and told him he would not be paid until he tore it out and re-did it, which he refused to do so we had a Mexican standoff. Bill Jarvis and I were framing one of the houses and he appeared on the scene and jumped on me. He was young and stronger and could easily of hurt me but Bill intervened. I secured a restraining order against him and proceeded to continue with my building program, little knowing this kid's background nor the trouble he was in with the concrete and lumber companies around town. He continued to harass me about the pay and I continued refusing to pay until he corrected the lousy job. It was so bad it was a disgrace. I finally put a gun in my truck, one in each closet and had them loaded and ready for this nut. I went to the Police Chief and informed him what I had done and he was excited and said I couldn't do it, for I told him the next time that kid came in the house I was going to shoot one leg, then the other and if he kept coming one arm and the other and I would have for I was afraid of him and I had found out he was in trouble all over town. A Deputy Sheriff had been listening to our conversation and followed me out to the truck. He said Mr Haymore do you know whoMark is? He is the Chief's nephew and a no good so and so. Don't shot him in the leg. Shoot that SOB right between the eyes, then he can't testify. Well, the kid disappeared into Wyoming and haven't seen him since. Again George came to my rescue. We tore out the lousy concrete job with pick, sledge hammer, hauled it to the dump. Formed and poured new sidewalk curb and gutter. I sold the last house I had and left for Arizona. Some of my subs that accepted a lot in lieu of cash for $1000.00 sold them years later for 13, 14 thousand dollars. Leah and Wayne wanted me to build them a four-plex on a lot they had one block south of the Mesa Temple. Martin Young drew the plans for us and Wayne and myself plus others put up a beautiful building of slump block, huge four car carport with walk-on roof deck. For years they lived in this until we moved them to St. George. We (Rosezeal and I lived in the adjoining apt) until well after our Mission call. Leah and Wayne all their lives have been good to us and we were good to them. We built an apt. next door with a full basement which I formed by hand with Dan and Shane Nelsons help. We finished it up and down and it eventually had six units that the City didn't like. We built runways so we could wheel in the concrete just like when working for Arvil Biesinger in Utah. It was here that we had a birthday party for Ada. Forgotten how young she was. Frank and Lela were there as was Ann and Ray, Ellen, Wanda and Ray, Erma and Dick. Floyd and Ducky, etc, etc. While living in our new apts., we were called to be set apart Temple Workers by Pres. Wright and a very rewarding and spiritual experience. These were excellent apartments and close to the Temple an easy one block walk which we loved to make. I also built a full basement home for us in Douglas. I bought a lot across the street and two houses west of the 15th street chapel. We had a time digging the basement for it was caliche. A father and 2 sons from central Utah brought their Simmons forms and poured a house for me at Portal and also ours. They are from the same burg as Shawn Bradley. I drew the plans and poured the concrete, layed the white block, all the carpentry and all the painting. We had a beautiful paneled room downstairs three free standing wood fireplaces. A huge Western Room on the back upstairs, double garage, fruit room with concrete on six sides, ½ bath in garage. We were on the sewer so we had a bath in the basement. The plumber never had never put in plumbing with a full basement and was unable to comprehend how to do it even after shooting it with the transit and showing him there was plenty of fall and he needn’t run the line so shallow. After reaching the sewer he had a four foot drop nearly straight down to enter. Rosezeal truly loved this home. Her kitchen looked out on mountains and the open spaces. Only 2 minute walk to Church. Only home I ever owned with a garage big enough to back a truck and camper in and with a workshop and ½ bath. I got the itch to move to Mesa and she was willing to go along. To my knowledge it is the only full basement home in Douglas with a bath in the basement. They had to run the sewer that deep for the new Chapel above it. It had both a double garage and a large double carport, 2200 sq. ft of living space in the house not counting the garage and carport. Along the way I overlooked a few building projects so will not catch them up. Dave and my Daughter Gloria bought a nice lot not too far from our place and close to Valerie. They boys and I helped build their house. It was an Ogden Precision built and a fine full basement house. The boys and I donated our labor and we soon had it up. Bruce was 12 or 13 at the time and was in the concrete helping us pour the basement floor and footing; Bishop Pehrson came by and marveled at the way one so young was moving that mud around. Bishop Pehrson was one of the grandest men I've ever known. While still living in SLC Leah and Wayne wanted a double garage built with a combination kitchen and bath included in their place in Etna, California and asked me if I would come and help. We did the whole thing from footings to painting. The roof was 3 ft sections of metal and long enough to reach from peak to overhang below. We built our own trusses and Hurst Dillman helped us hoist them up. For a break Wayne and I would go coyote hunting on Hursts Ranch nearby. We got some too. Felt bad that Wayne used plumbing under the concrete floor that he had accumulated and save for umteen years. Heard later they had to dig some of it up. For it was crummy and no place to save. They payed well and it was a fun trip. Later the whole family went with me up there and we rode Hursts horses and had a ball, kinda like the trips to James ranch in Ariz. during Christmas break. After Roland's death it weighed heavily on me Ada's financial situation. They had an extra size double garage and we decided to build a 2 bedroom apartment in it. This was probably in the 1945s or 1946s. This had worked out fine for Ada and the girls. Some of them have used it on an interim basis. Elaine and I used it while building our house next door and I think we had 3 or 4 children. Just this year Shirley said they had it rented for $300 a month which isn't peanuts. Doubt we could rent our 5 bedroom home here in St. David for much more. It has been a real help to them for nearly 50 years. During my years at the Y my track Coach was Floyd Millet from Mesa, AZ. He and his family moved to SLC and he asked me to build his new house. It was on the East bench and a dandy lot. Two events happened while building this fine home of note and never happened to me before. Floyd and I staked out the perimeter of the house and we had it well along and it had a full basement too. One day Floyd informed me we had it on the wrong lot. I was devastated until he told me the adjoining lot was owned by a friend and they just switched lots and had them recorded. Also, while pouring the huge full basement I was busily emptying a truck load of mud and failed to see another truck pull in on the other side and the driver back up without any guidance and backed right into the basement bursting forms and dumping his load. I called the Co. and they had a half-track which they rushed out and we pulled the truck out that was sticking skyward with the front shells and cab sticking nearly straight up in the air. It was such a sight I went to my truck where I had a polariod and that bright yellow truck made a very unusual picture. We quickly removed the concrete, repaired the forms, and they sent an extra truck of mud. While working in the garage and listening to young Drysdale he pitched a no hitter. See where he died last week. Floyd and his wife were great to work for and we built them a fine home. One time I was working on Leonard Haymore's ranch house and also staying there. One hot evening I decided to have some pie and ice cream and sit on the porch and enjoy the electrical storms to the east. I did not cut the pie and just plopped a quart of ice cream in the middle when up drives Leonard. He saw me sitting there with a whole pie and a quart of ice cream on top and was quite amazed. I invited him to join me but he had other responsibilities being Bishop etc, and started for Douglas when I noticed him making a turn. He said he would like to join me. What a tremendous friend he has been over the years. He is the main one in the story to follow. After our divorce I moved to Douglas and lived with George and Evelyn, at Leonards Ranch, in the camper etc. Leonard had a friend in Cotton City, N. M. that had asked him if he knew a carpenter that might be interested in building his house. On the next trip over with a load of feed I met Clyde Richins at his office in the Cotton Gin. He also had some large acreage into cotton and milo-maize. He let me take the house plans back to Douglas and I said I would have the bid in one week. I was just bidding the labor so it wasn't that big a job to have the bid ready, which I took back to Clyde the next week. Which came to ($9000.00) plus 2 ********. I would do the concrete and carpenter work. It was a huge three story house of 7200 sq. ft. (most are 1500) and would sit in the cottonfield with no neighbor within a mile. Clyde and his wife accepted my bid and I went back to get a material list ready and start lining up the subs. Clyde showed me where I could put a travel trailer so it would be out of the way. The only cottonwood tree for blocks was a short distance away. I could use the pump well water for drinking ½ mile away, bathe in the irrigation ditch, use the corn-field across the ditch for private matters and they loaned me a lamp to read by. No power and no phone. I loved this part and who could be lonely. The neighbors were a mile away. Clyde was wonderful to work for and we soon had his house underway, excepting no one in that area knew who to dig a full basement. We tried a couple of guys and I finally used one of George's friends from Douglas, 80 miles away and a new back-hoe. He lives now right here in Benson and we see each other and reminisce on occasions. Putting two ******** in the contract just had to be inspiration. Clyde had some working on the farm all the time any way and an old adobe building for their quarters. He brought me two and they were in their early twenties and from Nueva Casas in Chihuahua, Mexico. One was especially good and I soon had him trained how to help with concrete and the basics of troweling concrete. A bunch of masons from St. David layed up the concrete block walls 8x12x16. These were a handful and it took two masons to set them in the mud. Clyde brought in a huge truck of lumber from Las Cruces, New Mexico and we dumped it close to the job site. What a blessing it was to have work where no one was around and I could work from daylight to dark six days a week. Two guys to help me with the hard work. We had the roof on working inside when I see the Border Patrol pull up and stop. They espied my ******** legs thru the low upstairs window. Like that my help was gone. One week later they were back and had walked from Nueva Casas probably 100 miles distance. The house had a huge porch across the south and needed to be anchored securely to the concrete. I showed Clyde what they looked like and we would put one on each post. Each week I would leave early Sunday morning for Douglas with my washing, which I wold do before church. This was before the three hour meetings so after the evening meeting I would visit with George or Leonard, and head for the trailer. It was a two hour drive and I didn't mind it for I was usually watching for coyotes along the way and nearly every trip I would see one or several . I had a Volkswagon Beetle which gets excellent mileage. One time I caught a coyote between two steep bluffs each side of the road and maybe 50 yards long. He ran out on the road then couldn't get off the road then couldn't out run me. They seldom make a boo boo like this. They are one smart animal. A terrible wind storm had come up while in Douglas and blew the long porch up over the roof of the house into the front yard. Took us seven days to repair an anchor it securely. This house had a curving stairway that was quite a challenge to build. The downstairs was simple enough but not the curving one. Felt good upon the completion and so did the Richins. They had a fine home and I had lots of pleasant memories. Clyde and Norma said I was the best carpenter they were acquainted with and Norma said her bother was a carpenter. On one of my trips to Douglas, Leonard invited me after Church to come and have ice cream with them. He, of course, knew how little I ate. And upon arriving a beautiful widow was there and said she had a new baked pie at home to send with me........ Lester Haymore found me my next job. It is not in the proper order as it is before the Richings job. It was for Elder Richard LeGrande's daughter and husband an attorney in SLC and on the east Bench near Hogles Zoo. They were a delight to work for and we built them a fine home. Actually I goofed, his name is LeGrande Richards of the 12 Apostles and a Grande man he is. One of the greatest missionaries ever to come to planet earth. I was privileged to meet him during construction of the house and later at his birthday party at Brattens in Sugar House. During construction of the house the hunting season intervened. I had drawn the elk permit and Marv Miller who was the electrician had already teamed to go together whoever draws. Brother Boyer asked me when we would be back and I said when we get our elk. He got quite a chuckle out of this. Saved the best for last. Built Frank and Lela's house in Spanish Fork and it is a fine home. Full basement, with double garage. Five bedroom, three bath with the finest storage room under the garage (self supporting concrete ceiling, steel doors. Concrete six sides. Also a concrete powder and gun storage room that ain't too shabby. We used again a precision package from Ogden and the house moved right along excepting for a hunting break to two. I bought an Arabian horse and put it in Frank's pasture without prior consent and he was quite amazed when he saw this fine animal out there grazing. This is the same stupid horse Doug and I hauled clear to the La Sal mountains SE of Moab just so it could throw me off then roll on me. But that has been told in another story so back to building. In order to support the garage floor we had to place a steel beam down the center with plenty of re-bar thru-out. We built a plywood decking and put enough braced 2x4s with whalers to support and tapered wedges to take up any slack. As I remember it was 8 in thick. Must be OK it hasn't fallen down in 20+ years. It is an excellent home and well built isn't it Uncle. The approach to the front entry. My Uncle did this and it resembles a freeway ramp. Really does and I would be awake a night or two dreaming up one this fine. Frank is really a fine craftsman. Any thing he does is Mangum in scope. Don't know about roofs however as at least once a year he reminds me that the trusses we put on are too light. He has been my favorite Uncle, brother, father, hunting companion for 75 years. He is six years my senior so he fits the above categories perfectly. His reasoning on the roof would be: If 2x4 will hold it 2x6's would be better. Mine would be : If 2x4s will do why use 2x6s. No kidding Frank is the finest craftsman I know anything about and I've employed and been around some good ones. He phoned me last week and mentioned he had to have the roof shingled. Been over 20 years so it is due. Uncle while they are at it you might have them put in a few 2x6s. OK. J. Arnold Haymore St. David, Arizona July 12, 1993 3 a.m.


Contributor: vwsheldon Created : 4 years ago Updated : 4 years ago

MEXICO TRIP written by John Arnold Haymore Monday November 26, 1984 Wayne and Leah Kartchner, Frank and Lela Haymore, and J. A. Haymore For several years Leah and Wayne wanted me to take them to the Sonora Colonies and farther South along the Bavispe River to the Mexican town of San Miguel where Leah and my Sister Katie lived with Mother and Dad, when the girls were like 3 and 5 years of age. Dad was managing one of the Haymore retail stores in the town of San Miguel. Today the town has around four thousand Mexicans. No whites. Not one. Plenty of dogs to bark at the whites and their trucks, however. Leah was born in the Mormon Colony of Oaxaca as was Frank Haymore. Lela, Frank's wife had never been to his place of birth and this was an added incentive to go down. Also, we wanted to obtain pictures of the old homesteads where our folks lived, the spot in the Bavispe River, where Leah was born, the grave sites where Grandma Adeline Taylor Haymore is buried and where my Sister Adeline is buried, having died in infancy. We left Mesa at 8 A.M. Monday morning in March of 1984. Frank and Lela in their 4x4 Ford with low camper. Leah, Wayne and myself were in our Ford with an over-the-cab camper. We arrived in Douglas, Arizona early in the afternoon and Frank and I took the vehicles to Agua Prieta, the Sister City to Douglas, in Mexico to obtain permits and see about insurance for the trucks, ice for the frig's and gasoline. We stayed in Douglas overnight. Leah and Wayne at Rosezeals and my house, which our daughter Wendy Maddux was renting from us. Lela and Frank stayed in their fancy streamline trailer and I slept in the cab-over camper. We arrived at Agua Prieta Customs at 8 A.M. Tuesday morning and quickly moved thru Customs, obtained the insurance, the ice and gasoline. Even though Leah and Frank were born in Mexico and once spoke Spanish fluently, 70 years had taken its toll. Lucky for them they had a guide experienced in crossing the line and dealing with the Mexicans, ahem. The Spanish language is beautiful to hear, kinda like the French and easier to learn. My Nephew Vern Nelson, says it is really easy. “Just put an O on the end of all your words: Taco, ocho, mucho, amigo, camino, mango, truco, campo, plus a lot of arm gesturing and he is nearly right. There are an amazing lot of their words that end with an O. The Mormon Colonies in the State of Sonora were started during the days, when 2 to 3 % of the people were asked to practice pologamy. Grandfather Franklin Demarcus Haymore had two wives and had to flee the U.S.A., or be jailed. He helped with the Colonization of Colonia Oaxaca and Colonia Morelos, both on the Bavispe River and about 60 miles below the border from Douglas in a Southeastern direction. Due to the poor roads it is a five hour trip, averaging about ten miles an hour. The two sites were chosen because of their fine farm land and the Bavispe River, which they diverted from it's bed to irrigate the farms, orchards and vineyards. The Haymore Family Group also had a huge ranch operation called the “Pulpit Ranch” comprising about one hundred thousand acres on which they ran cattle and raised horses. Even today it takes a day in a car to cross it. It is named for an impressive rock that looks like a pulpit. It is watered by the Bavispe River and Pulpit Creek. The land rises from the river of Bavispe into the Sierra Madre Mountains. From desert land to pines. When the Saints arrived in the land it was covered with ample grass and had enough rain to sustain a fine cattle ranch. Of recent years until 1983 and 1984 the whole country has experienced a drought. During my youth and even up until a few years ago I have hunted on the ranch: deer, turkey, javelina, quail, doves, ducks, coati mundi and lots of predators : coyotes, bob-cats, foxes, mountain lion etc. When the folks were there they lost horses and cattle to “El Tigre”: a huge spotted cat like a tiger. There are some still farther down in Mexico along with “El Lobo” a Mexican wolf. Their tracks I have seen. We arrived in Colonia Morelos about 2 P.M. This is where my brother Roscoe was born, also Ada and Adeline. Also where the folks were living when Pancho Villa persuaded the Saints together with advice from Salt Lake to leave their homes and head for the States. Our brick house is still standing, plus the brick store Dad ran for the Haymores. There are probably two dozen Colonists homes left and occupied by the Mexicans. These were all built with a red-brick fired in a kiln and of fine quality for those days. The Mexicans occupying our former house permitted us inside to see the rooms (due to my expertise in Espanol and many Por Favors, plus a little mordida. An American dollar in the palm of the hand. The exchange rate is 200 to one, so you can quickly see the advantage to them. But, this is the home Mother and Dad were when the Rebels came, using one of the rooms for their headquarters. They butchered their milk-cow in the street, rode their horses thru the garden, put the bottled fruit on the fences for target practice and even invaded Mothers Kitchen, which was a no, no. One drunken rebel finding out the hard-way when a cast iron fry pan persuaded him to mucho vamose. When we arrived in Morelos the Mexicans were butchering a beef, in the street, using the same methods that prevailed 75 years ago. They do not use a block-and-tackle to hoist them, but shoot them in the cabeza, turn them on their backs and start skinning, being careful to keep the hide between the meat and the dusty road. There were many relatives arriving to get their favorite portion. The Mexicans make chorizo. A very spicy concoction of beef, pork and spices, and chilles stuffed into the intestines looking like an elongated weeny. It is really a favorite food for them because it is so spiced up they can throw it over a rafter or whatever and it will keep much like jerkey. Again my Spanish secured pictures of the natives surrounding the bloody beef on the road-side. Actually they were nearly in the middle of the road, for we had to detour around them. We called many of the young, shy Mexican children to get in the pictures and then handed each a Mexican Dollar, about the size of ours but worth one-half penny in American. The L.D.S. Chapel and School House the Saints used has been raized and the new school and fenced school ground occupying the former place. This has just been done in I think 1982. I do have pictures of the Chapel where the family attended Church and where my Sisters and brother went to School. It was a fine red-brick building and built of large timbers from the nearby mountains. It had a basement and a high-beamed ceiling. About 2 miles S.E. of Morelos, they – Mexican government has built a small diversion dam on the Bavispe River at a spot called the “squeeze” by the Saints. It is of rock and concrete and consists of a rock and cement canal that takes the water to the farms in and near Morelos. They have excellent soil and fine farms. The orchards and vineyards of the former Saints are gone, however. The Mexicans in this area are more inclined to cattle, hog and poultry raising. The climate is slightly warmer than Douglas and at an elevation of 3500 ft. similar to St. George, Utah, though not as warm. The Saints did raise peaches, apples, pears, pomegranates, grapes, peanuts, figs, sweet potatoes and of course lots of Hay, you know more-hay. When ever any one asks me to spell my name “I just say Morehay backwards.” Trouble is some of my friends call this. We camped for the night at this diversion dam and listened to the pleasant sounds of falling water. Always a pleasant sound to an Arizonian. Leah and Wayne had beds in my camper truck and I slept fine on a foam mattress and sleeping bag. On the way back to Oaxaca and Frank and Lela, we stopped to see Mother's former friends the Langfords. They are former Saints, who never came out during the expulsion by Pancho Villa, but their Parents at least still practice polygamy (they have been excommunicated ) and there are four fathers, all Langfords with their wives and 75 children. They were happy to see us and remembered Mother well. They are builders by trade and some of the men folks with the young men were laying up an addition to their “long house”. They have a teacher come daily from San Miguel to instruct the children. One of them works in the States to obtain cash, while the others three tend the farms, orchards, vineyards and cattle. Most of the children were blond, like Bruce's Jeremy. One was red-headed with freckles, that really guided us to the compound on the river we having come across him earlier, riding his pony. They all agreed to gather for a picture, which Leah has and we continued on to Frank and Lela. One of the young wives was from England (quite interested in Mark, as she had a daughter near his age). She met her husband in St. George and was converted to her present day life-style. A very outgoing friendly and very decidedly English. We arrived in Oaxaca by evening and stayed overnight. The next day we visited the Cemeteries to try and locate Grandmother Haymores grave. She died in child-birth with Uncle Walter Taylor Haymore, who was raised by all the Haymores. My folks taking their turn. Uncle Walter grew to manhood and was the largest of all the 27 children of Franklin Demarcus Haymore. Elaine and I have 13 children and more have lived to maturity than Grandfather Haymore raised from 27, due to the extreme living conditions. Many dying during infancy with child-hood diseases and the lack of Doctors (I guess) in the land of “Manana..” We found the cemeteries but only one marker in the whole grave area. This was of a recent Langford, who died at the Commune. We did take pictures of the Oaxaca and Morelos Cemetery and some rocks nearby. I have a special rock and Leah the pictures. We also obtained red-brick from the footings of the former Chapel in Oaxaca, (it is now completely gone and the foundation even covered with silt, from a canyon flood). I knew where the site was and with a pick and shovel retrieved a dozen bircks and now have them here in Mesa. We returned to Douglas Friday and to Mesa Saturday, having in six days covered about 5 or 6 hundred miles and seeing first hand the houses, farms, the huge ranch (the Haymores finally received 16 cents an acre for it). Three days of our trip was traveling on the ranch lands. At one time there were 600 people in Oaxaca and more in Morelos. Not one Norte Americano is left (You know the Mexicans call themselves Americans) and distinguish themselves by calling us Norte (North) Americans. Sometimes they have called me “gringo” and sometimes worse than that. But, they are a great and in the main a gentle extremely kind and loving people, very, very fond of their children and their dogs. And, the “Day of the Lamanite” is here. They now comprise the majority of the numbers in our Church. They are joining the Church in gobs. Lehi's descendants are “Blossoming like the Rose” See D&C 49:24. Two weeks ago Rosezeal and I were permitted to help with the largest gathering of Lamanites in the History of the Church. Due to prior planning Indians from Utah, New Mexico and Arizona came to the Mesa Temple. Hundreds of them and we helped them. One Session of 145 even conducted their own group, officiating in the Session and conducting their own people thru the veil. The young man I helped was about Mark's age and knew the ceremony perfectly. To see a dozen of these young people bringing their own people thru the veil was a moving experience. Love to all VAYA CON DIOS, JAH

Wayne Elisha Kartchner prize winning history

Contributor: vwsheldon Created : 4 years ago Updated : 4 years ago

My Ancestry By Wayne Elisha Kartchner As a river becomes a blend of every tributary which empties into it, so do we as individuals become a blend of the ancestors who went before us. These ancestors then become as the continually branching tributaries of a river. In 1750 a boy of ten summers arrived in Philadelphia from Germany. He grew to manhood and married a girl who also came from Germany. Through this union we begin our knowledge of the Kartchner name, and this becomes one of the tributaries leading to me as an individual. A child of this union (John) Christopher Kartchner became a hard working, hard fighting man. He fought with Stonewall Jackson in the War of 1812 and was in the battle when told not to fire until they could see the whites of their eyes. John married a lovely girl, Prudence Wilcox and so two more tributaries came together. From the blending of these two streams William Decatur Kartchner was born. In early manhood he heard that two Mormon elders were preaching in a village a few miles away so riding a horse he wen to hear what they had to say. He remained over night, was baptized and rode back to the farm he and his brother were working. His brother asked if he had joined the Mormons. “Yes, I have”, said William and that ended the partnership between them. This branch of the river became an important stream, warmed by the gospel of Jesus Christ, which let to Utah, to settlement of San Bernardino, California, to colonizing in Nevada and finally to the snowflake area of Northern Arizona. He had married Margaret Jane Casteel while in Nauvoo. The union of these two produced a new stream of Mark Elisha Kartchner, Sr. who was born in san Bernardino. He was called with a group which included William Decatur, all his sons and sons-in-law for the purpose of colonizing Northern Arizona. Before going to Arizona Mark E. had married Phebe Palmer and she introduced another tributary to the stream which had its origin in Canada in one George Palmer. George married Phebe Draper,, and the confluence of these two streams resulted in the birth of Zemira Palmer whose youth was full of hardship resulting from the loss of his father at an early age. His mother then married Ebinezer Brown who became one of the leaders of the Mormon Battalion and Phebe became one of the four women who made the entire march with the battalion. She was very anxious as to the welfare of Zemira who as a teenage boy stood on a box so he would appear taller and be permitted to join the others of the Battalion. The bread baked for the soldiers by Phebe Palmer Brown became burned more often than not so the crusts could be kept for the hungry growing boy. After arriving in California in January 1847 the members of the Battalion were released and many of them were on hand for the discovery of gold by James Marshall. Zemira and his stepfather were among these. They panned enough gold to buy necessary provisions to permit them to join the Saints who by this time had arrived in the Salt Lake Valley. Zemira met and married Sally Knight in Salt Lake and began their work of settlement. They were called by Brigham Young to go to Orderville where until the time of Zemira’s death at an early age he was in charge of the United Order which was being tried here. Orderville is located in that picturesque section of Utah where colorful canyons and cloudless skies blend with the canopy of pines. It was in this setting of peace and serenity that Phebe Palmer was raised and this peace and majesty of nature contributed to the influence she had upon all who associated with her. Mark Elisha Kartchner, Sr., and Phebe began their early married life in Panguitch, Utah, where Mark E. Kartchner, Jr. was born. When the call came to help settle northern Arizona, the St. George Temple was just finished so before leaving for Arizona the entire family of William Decatur Kartchner went to St. George to care for the endowments of their departed ancestors in 1877. The Arizona settlements were not without hardship. Canals which were necessary for irrigation were adequate only when there was little or no water and when sufficient water was available, the canals washed out. Cattle thieves were common and land boundaries and ownership was ever a source of trouble. Mark Elisha and his wife’s brother Alma Palmer started the store and trading post serving saints and Indians, and leading to travel over most of Northern Arizona. Some connected with a mail contract between snowflake and St. John. Mark Elisha Kartchner, Jr., became a blend of the waters of two large long streams; one the sturdy hard working pioneer stock, the other adding majesty and dignity and a desire for learning. So when the schools of Snowflake had served their purpose and additional education was desired Mark E. Junior went to Provo to attend B.Y. Academy and as the need for colonization in Arizona was now past, the entire family followed the next year. Here at Provo, another large tributary entered the stream by the marriage of Mark E. Jr., to Ellen Matilda Loveless. She was the result of the joining of many tributaries who had affiliated themselves with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints almost from the beginning of its organization. John Loveless had come from England about 1770 and soon thereafter married Rachel Van Hook of Kentucky, and to them was born Joseph Loveless, born March 3, 1778 and who was raised in Kentucky, where he met and married Dorothy Rogers who was born in Tennessee and whose father came from Ireland and her mother from Germany. The junction of these two tributaries resulted in the birth of John Loveless who was born June 24, 1807, in Ohio. John worked with his father on the Ohio farm until he was eighteen at which age he married Mahala Anderson of Virginia, but of Scandanavian extraction. To this marriage was born James Washington Loveless as their second child on December 23, 1828, at Fairfield Ohio. John and Mahala moved to Indiana in 1829 and continued farming. On July 4, 1831, two Mormon Elders, Simeon Carter and Solomon Hancock came to their home and the next day, July 5, he listened to one of their sermons and was baptized on July 7, by Solomon Hancock and confirmed a member of the church by Simeon Carter. The elders remained four or five days and built a branch of some thirty members and ordained John a teacher. He was ordained a priest three weeks later by Thomas B. Marsh and Sele Griffin. He later presided over several branches of the church in Indiana. In 1836 he went on a mission to Ohio and upon his release returned to preside over the Indiana branch until it moved to Jackson County Missouri . They were expelled from Missouri in 1838 and in 1844 went on another mission to Ohio and returned from this mission to Nauvoo to find the murdered bodies of Joseph and Hyrum. Other hardships were experienced until on May 21, 1851, they crossed the Missouri river and began their long trip across the plains for salt Lake City where they arrived September 15, 1851, after a journey of nearly four months. They were told to settle in Provo where he took up farming again, but after two years moved to West Jordan where again for two years he continued farming, then moved to Payson, where he built a fine home and had one of the best farms in Payson, where he resided until his death in 1880. James Washington Loveless, who was born as the second child of John and Mahal at Fairfield, Ohio, worked with his father on the farm and moved with him to Indiana and Missouri and joined the church along with the rest of the family and in 1847 married Matilda E. McClellan, daughter of James McClellan and Synthia Stewart. James and Matilda moved to Indiana where he had a good position in a lumber yard, remaining for two years. In the summer of 1851 he received word that the Saints had been driven from Missouri, so in August he went to look for his parents. He found his parents gone and everything burned that would bur. The crops had matured so he harvested the crop and used the produce to live on that winter. He left for Utah in the spring of 1852 arriving in Salt Lake September 3, 1852. Matilda drove a yoke of cows drawing a wagon across the plains. The wagons were so heavily loaded she was compelled to walk the entire distance. After they arrived in Utah they also went to Provo and began farming. James W. Loveless took an active part in the Balckhawk wars, and was a major in the territorial militia. In addition to his farming he was road supervisor, was a member of the city council, Bishop’s Councilor for many years and in 1874 was ordained Bishop of Provo Second Ward which position he held until his death in 1888. He believed in polygamy and married three women who bore him thirty-six children. One of these thirty-six children was James Anderson Loveless born July 19, 1853, at Provo. He worked on the farm with his father until 1876 when he married Julia Ellen Ekins the daughter of George Ekins and Ellen Sykes who were both born in England. This stream continued to run much as the tributaries feeding it and soon after their marriage James Anderson and Julia moved to a homestead on Provo bench where they established a home and raised a family of eight children. He served as a state legislator and bishop’s councilor for a number of years. He died in Provo February 7, 1924. Their first child Ellen Matilda Loveless was born January 20, 1878, and spent her youth on the farm on Provo bench, attending school there and finally to B.Y. Academy in Provo. It was here she met Mark Elisha Kartchner , Jr. and after waiting for him to fill a mission in the Southern States they were married April 11, 1900 and so there came together the last two tributaries of the stream which had as its source the far spread countries of Germany, Ireland, England, Denmark, and Canada, as well as many sections of the United States. As with all large streams, the final waters become a blend of all tributaries, partaking of the warm water, the cold water, the clear water, and some muddy water. So as the final product of this blend, I am proud of the sources and realize that I can place no blame or criticism, as I am a combination of many emotions, trials, and experiences, and must be responsible for the contribution I make to the stream of life. ***NOTE – The genealogy library had a contest writing about ancestors. This was open to all members in two states. Wayne Elisha Kartchner won 1st prize with this articles. A Church book. His wife Leah also won 1st prize, a book for her article on the Beecrofts.”

Wayne Elisha Kartchner - By Wayne E. Kartchner

Contributor: vwsheldon Created : 4 years ago Updated : 4 years ago

Wayne Elisha Kartchner I Wayne Elisha Kartchner was born 20 January 1903 in Provo, Utah. A son of Mark Elisha Kartchner and Ellen Matilda Loveless. My early schooling was in Provo, Orem and Pleasant Grove, Utah. After one year at BYU I filled a mission to Germany before receiving an A.B in geology, the first one to receive a degree in that field. My professors were Murray O. Hayes and Arthur L. Crawford. After graduation I taught general science in Junior High School at Lehi, Utah 1927-28. I was married to Leah Haymore 21 May 1928 at Mesa, Arizona. Our eldest daughter is married to Van L. MacCabe, their son Wayne is studying geology at BYU this year. Our second daughter, Wynnette is married to Darrell H. Car, he is a graduate of the Y. Our third daughter, Beverly married H. Howard Hayes. Both attended the Y. I taught grade school in Pomerene, Arizona 1928-1929. My former professor from the Y, Fred Buss, invited me to teach part time with him at the San Jose Teachers College and attend Stanford University, Palo Alto California, where I received my M.A degree in 1936. Beginning the summer of 1936 through summers of 1942 I was a Park Naturalist at Crater Lake National Park, Oregon. I took a year 1940-41 at University of Arizona to complete requirements of residence, languages, and orals towards PhD and while teaching full time did research and a thesis so as to receive the degree in 1944 while in uniform having entered the army air corps in May 1943. Again I was the only one with this degree in the geology department. I served in the army until 1946, then returned to San Jose State College, California, I being the only geologist on the staff, as Mr. Buss had passed away in the mean time. I became head of the Physical Science department in 1957, geology being in that department, also included Physics, Photography, Astronomy, meteorology and Physical Science. In 1962 this department was divided three ways, two of which I still headed. After the Physics head was chosen I remained head of geology until 1965 when I resigned to take a sabbatical leave. I retired the end of January 1970. Church activities include, counselor in Palo Alto bishopric 1931-37. San Francisco Stake Sunday school, as a stake board member and member of Stake Superintendency 1937-40. Branch President and Bishop in San Jose, California 1946-50. On High Council Palo Alto Stake 1950-52. When San Jose Stake was organized I was set apart as president of High Priest Quorum and 1953 set apart as Counselor to Stake President until 1959. Served later on San Jose Stake High Council. We enjoy traveling, gardening and I teach some extention classes at the college. Our lives have been rich and rewarding. Written by Wayne E. Kartchner, March 1971.

Life timeline of Wayne Elisha Kartchner

Wayne Elisha Kartchner was born on 20 Jan 1903
Wayne Elisha Kartchner was 9 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Wayne Elisha Kartchner was 25 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Wayne Elisha Kartchner was 28 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Wayne Elisha Kartchner was 37 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
Wayne Elisha Kartchner was 55 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Wayne Elisha Kartchner was 62 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
Wayne Elisha Kartchner was 76 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
Wayne Elisha Kartchner died on 8 Jun 1988 at the age of 85
Grave record for Wayne Elisha Kartchner (20 Jan 1903 - 8 Jun 1988), BillionGraves Record 3666 Gahanna, Franklin, Ohio, United States