Walter R. Bronson

21 Oct 1902 - 31 Mar 1976

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Walter R. Bronson

21 Oct 1902 - 31 Mar 1976
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Adella Adams (1896-1983) My History Della Adams Jensen Bronson Procrastination! Procrastination! How I regret waiting so long to write a bit of my experiences. I find it very perturbing and frustrating to recall the events of so long ago. I think I must be in my third childhood now. But don't ask me

Life Information

Walter R. Bronson


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States


April 5, 2015


April 5, 2015

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of Walter R.


Walter R. Bronson is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Adella Adams (1896-1983)

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Adella Adams (1896-1983) My History Della Adams Jensen Bronson Procrastination! Procrastination! How I regret waiting so long to write a bit of my experiences. I find it very perturbing and frustrating to recall the events of so long ago. I think I must be in my third childhood now. But don't ask me my age as I lose my memory when it comes to that. For years and years, Jack Benny and I were thirty-nine years young for so long that I became confused. Now Jack is dead, and I must confess my true age, eighty-one years old and on December 14, 1978, I will be eighty-two. Of course you won't believe I am that young, or will you? My Birth The stork arrived December 14, 1896, at Verdure, Utah on a cold bleak, snowy day leaving a baby girl named Adella (Della), daughter of George Albert Adams and Nancy Evelyn Mortensen Adams. At that point in time I was the sixth child of a family of eleven. Grandmother Mortensen was the mid-wife. She always did the honors when the babies arrived. Before moving on I will relate my plight in proving I was born, that was in fact many years later. The law was enacted that everyone who was a working citizen must have a Social Security number. Being a law abiding citizen, I made application for my number as I was in deed a worker. I wrote the State Capitol but there were no vital statistics at the time I was born. Finally, with my eldest sister's signature and with records of the church showing my birth date, I was granted my number. I now have a legally signed and notarized certificate to prove that I was born. I presume it won't be needed at my passing. Having lived through eight plus decades it is difficult to remember all. The horse and buggy days were definitely in! We weren't the elite set, we only had a team and a wagon, but we always reached our destination. My Father I remember my father as being a Scotch, Irish, German Yankee with immense talent and humor. With my most serious idiosyncrasy of bashfulness, I was quick to get the punch line, and I would sit back embarrassed, thinking someone was reading my mind. The worse cuss words of my Father were "gosh, gall durn, and golly ****." I am sure he must have said worse things, because he would come in from the corral after feeding and milking the cows with it up to his ankles, at least manure. After Father's return from his Mission he was called to settle Monticello. He served as Bishop and also in the Stake Presidency for many years. He held many prominent positions, superintendent of school, Justice of the Peace, County Assessor and County Attorney. He was a State Representative in the Utah House of Representatives. My Mother I remember mother was always doing something for her neighbors. She was an approved midwife, and was always available during epidemics of typhoid and the flu of 1918 when so many people died. During the flu siege everyone wore white masks over their face to prevent spreading or getting the flu. When anyone went to the store or out in public they did't know who they might run into. Mother was Stake Primary President for thirty years. With other Sisters and Brethren, they would tour the Stake twice a year. They traveled by horse and buggy and would camp out at night, as there were long distances between the Wards and Branches. They would leave their families to be taken care of by the older members of the family. Verdure My early days were spent in Verdure. I guess I was always tied to Mother's apron strings since I was the next to the youngest child at that time. I loved Verdure because I loved to hear the crickets chirp, and the coyotes howl. There was probably no more than six families at Verdure at that time. We lived in a three room log house. It's hard to believe we all lived is such a confined area. We always had relatives and wayfarers. Mother would cook, cook, cook. No one ever left their home hungry, and there was always a place to sleep if needed. Mother and Father's home was like Grand Central Station. Of course, in the pioneer days we never know of a Grand Central Station. My First and Last Debut This incident was told to me by Stella Perkins, daughter of Parley Butt, who was our close neighbor at Verdure. She said that I was a darling baby at two months of age. She would come to Mother's when she gave me my daily bath and with a great deal of persistence and persuasion Mother would finally consent to her taking me, dressed only in a diaper, in her little apron and going from house to house for display. Being only two months old, I can't verify this story. Father Called on a Mission When I was three years old my father was called to serve a two year mission to the Southern States. It was a real challenge to leave his family to provide for themselves. It was my Mother's lot to take care of and make a living for the family. With the aid of her brother, Uncle Rulon, they rode the range caring for the cattle. With my eight year old brother, Bert, ten year old sister Zola, and thirteen year old sister Nean, they milked thirty five to fifty cows each day. Mother made cheese and butter using a fifty gallon vat for processing the cheese. Oh, how we kids would love to stand by to get trimmings from the cheese when it was taken from the press. Some of the cheese would weigh thirty or forty pounds. The butter and cheese would be taken to Durango, Colorado to market in exchange for other supplies. It would take two or three days to make the trip one way with a wagon and team of horses. Rattlesnake One day I cried to go with Mother to the garden for some vegetables. As we trudged along the path we came upon a big rattle snake which we luckily avoided. It was the last time I wanted to go for vegetables. Little Red Hat One day we visited at the Bob Hott ranch which was two miles west of Verdure. He was the foreman for the Carlisle Cattle Co. It was a fun place. They had turkeys, peacocks, ducks, geese, and a water well from which they got their drinking water. I was wearing a little red hat Mother had purchased in Durango. It was my Sunday hat but I wore it every day. While investigating the process of bringing the water up from the well in a bucket attached to a pulley, my curiosity got the better of me and my hat fell in the well. I went home and hid under the bed for a few hours until I mustered enough courage to tell the fate of the red hat. Housecleaning Time One big event as kids was when house cleaning time came. The bed ticks were emptied and filled with new clean straw. These were used as mattresses and we bounced on the straw ticks until they were mashed flat again. Straw was also put down under the homemade carpets. Trips to Monticello I remember when I was about three or four, we would go to Monticello in the wagon. We always wanted to stop and pick wild flowers but Father always said that we didn't have enough time. As we neared Monticello and could see a few homes, we would start to sing, "I can see Monticello now." Move to Monticello I was five years old when we moved to Monticello. We lived in a small three room log and lumber house. I recall the wallpaper in the bedroom was newspaper, which was hard on my nerves and eyes. My sister Fay was born there. I remember she was carried around on a pillow for months because of a bad burn she suffered on her shoulder, leaving a scar which she has to this day. The Two-Holer I mustn't forget the on or two holer "out houses." They were kept as sanitary as possible by putting ashes or lime in the holes. First Chapel Our first church was a one room log building. We always went to Sunday School and Primary. Our weekly bath each Saturday was a preparation for this event. The water was heated on the stove and then put in a number 3 tub. A little more water was added as each child took their turn. New Home The first modern brick home in Monticello was built by my Father, with plenty of room for our large family. My brothers Leon and Donald were born in this home and it sill stands today and is preserved and kept beautiful by my brother, Donald, and his wife Dorothy. School Days It wasn't the little red school with a book and slate, but similar. My first school years were held in one room with one teacher for all grades, first to eighth, leaving little time to spend with each grade. It is amazing all that we learned under those circumstances, we must have had the best of teachers. My schooling ended with the ninth grade as there was no high school in my growing years. I was good at reading, writing, spelling, English, and arithmetic, I'm bragging. Algebra slowed me up a bit. I stood in the corner many times, and stayed after school until I mastered my lessons. If I had been asked what I liked most about school, I would have said, "recess." Even the accomplishment of ninth grade schooling paid off. I was always so shy and bashful it really hurt, and I would disappear when people came to our home. Pear Adams Decker, who taught at the BYU Academy, gave me elocution lessons. She was my cousin and I was privileged to give a reading under her tutorship and participate in several local theatrical plays. Piano Lessons I took a few piano lessons from Lucy Harris who lived in Monticello for a winter. I learned to read music and with persistence I learned to play the church hymns and some popular music. My Best Friend Hortense Redd was my closest friend at that time. What did we do for fun? We of course, made our own in those days. We were always together, always making honey candy, what we called a "candy pull." Hortenses Mother, Grandma Redd as I called her, was always cooperative. We rode horses and burrows that came to town with the Mexican sheep herders. They roamed the streets at night and it was great sport to catch them, put a rope around their neck and ride them bareback. We played basketball outside, baseball, hide and seek, hide the thimble, charades, and run sheep run was my favorite. My Baptism Hortense and I were baptized June 6, 1902 in a reservoir that was back of Jim Black's present service station. Johnnie Rogers baptized us on Saturday on Hortenses birthday and I was confirmed by William W. Bronson, father of Fletch, Arch, and Clint. It's as vivid today as it was at that special time. Ice Skating While skating one night on the big town reservoir, Hortense, Heber Frost, Arah Shumway, and myself were holding each others hands when the ice broke and we went under the water. The boys were able to retrieve us and we built a big fire to dry out, but to no avail. So we had to go home to report our disaster which could have been fatal, (saved again). Horseback Riding Hortense and I were riding an Indian pony bareback named, "Piutecy," when Hazel jumped out from a culvert on the road and frightened the horse and he ran away with us. We were fortunate we were not hurt, but after the horse stopped, Hazel really got it, and the horse too. My First Hair Cut My hair was long and blonde and had grown to my waist. One day Elsie Edwards, and Blanch D. Hammond, and I braved the storm, and had our long hair cut. I cried when I way what I looked like and it took a long time for me to accept the change. There was the "Marcel Wave," and the "Hot Irons" methods of curling hair in that day and I tried them all. My Brother Roland I remember the whole town was alerted the day Roland disappeared when he was very small. However, he was soon found asleep in a post hole that had been dug for a fence. Homesickness When I was eight years old I went to Sanford, Colorado with my sister Nean who was working in a clothing sore for our Uncle Swen Peterson, and she lived with their family. I remember being so homesick. I boarded a train at LaJara, five miles from Sanford, which took me to Durango to meet my Father who was there for supplies. Oh, what a happy day because I was really sick. I recovered immediately when I was met by my family. Hans Hans was born December 31, 1986 and in 1912 he came to Monticello from Ephriam, Sanpete County, Utah, in what we might call the "Horse and Buggy Days." He had worked for his father who was a butcher. Through the persuasion of the Pehrson brothers, June, Horace, Gilbert, John, and Rodney Pehrson, he came here to file on a homestead. It took eighteen days to make the trip with a wagon drawn by two horses, with almost no roads. One of his buddies came with him. They camped each night where they could get water for their horses. Hans was very ambitious and could do the work of two men. He was good looking and had a humorous disposition. Our Courtship and Marriage I was young and fell pretty hard when Hans asked me to go to a dance with him which led to our marriage on October 15, 1914. I was seventeen years old and Hans was twenty-seven years old. With two dollars we bought a marriage license. We spent that winter feeding livestock for my father at Verdure. We had a big room at Mother's home when we came to town each Sunday for church. Transportation was a bob sleigh drawn by two big horses. Our First Child Fawn, our first child was born at Mother"s home with Mother and another midwife, Sister Harris in attendance. After two weeks in bed and another week to recover, we moved to our first home to call our own. The Homestead When Hans and I moved to our farm of 320 acres, five miles south of Monticello, we toured the land in a wagon to see the immensity of the farm. We drove down to the edge of the canyon and Hans said, "Now you can see as far as the eye can see," and I said, "I didn't know there was an "Ikan Sea" there." Our First Home Our first home consisted of a boarded up tent with a dirt floor. There was room only for a bed, a rocker, a kerosene lamp, a supply of candles, a table, two chairs, and a little cook stove. The 320 acre farm gave us plenty of room for storage, that is, if we had had anything to store. With two tubs, a scrub board, and homemade soap to do the washing, the clothes were hung outside on bushes to dry. Our quilts were filled with bats which we made after buying the wool, then washing it, carding it, and putting it into bats. The clothes were washed on a scrub board and the white clothing was boiled on the stove to keep them white. Everything was starched and before ironing they were sprinkled and rolled tightly, then ironed with an iron that had been heated on the stove. When baking, the temperature was tested by putting my hand in the oven. We hauled water in a fifty gallon barrel from a good spring a quarter of a mile away. A little sled was used to haul it from the spring. That's the way it was in those days, the Horse and Buggy Days. With us it wasn't buggy days, because we had only a wagon. I didn't realize until several decades of living under those circumstances, that we were indeed, "Pioneers." The farm was cleared of brush by a grub hoe. It was a slow process, but with ambition and strong backs for the burden or a burden for the back, I haven't decided just which, we endured all the tests of work and survival. I was a little embarrassed of our circumstances when Mr. W. J. Paxman from the A. C. College came from Logan to see the results of our experiment with grain, grass, and feed, which we were privileged to try. Fawn Lost We raised white pigs and they were so round and cute. One day we missed Fawn, and after hunting for some time we discovered her little foot prints following an old sow with ten little pigs. We finally reached her about two miles away at the Hyde Ranch. Another time we discovered Fawn happily stuffing little baby chicks one by one into a long black stocking until they all suffocated from her loving care. Entertainment We would never miss a dance in town which was about the only social event at that time. When Fawn was a baby we would take her to the dance too, wrapped in a quilt and we would put her on top of the school desks and benches which were placed around the sides of the dance hall for seating. She would sleep through all the noise and dancing until midnight when the dancing was over. My Niece Norma I nursed Norma Perkins, my niece, for about two months. I moved in from the farm so I could share a portion of my milk as I was also nursing Fawn who was also a baby. Every concoction of nourishment was given to me to make a jersey out of me, but to no avail. My Father said that all that was wrong with the baby was that she was starving to death, so he proceeded to give her some mashed beans. Luckily it neither killed or cured her. Finally a formula was found that she could assimilate and she grew to be a beautiful girl and mother of nine children. She is special to me and is now taking care of her mother who is 93 years old. Laying the Floor I wasn't too happy about the dirt floor in the tent so one day while Hans was working on he farm two miles away, I took the bed out and with enough boards left from framing the tent, and with a saw, and a hammer, I proceeded to lay a floor in the tent. Believe it or not when Hans came from work, the floor was laid except one area where the stove stood and I needed help to move that before I could finish the job. I made a bed for Fawn that day in a No. 3 tub. It was really serious business then but now I laugh at what a predicament it really was. I don't know whether it was mind over body or body over mind that saw us through those pioneer experiences. And to think we lived through all those experiences to enjoy the many modern conveniences of today. I am thankful for it all. I feel I have grown more in mind than body. I was blessed with strength and endurance. We often hear the remark that so-and-so isn't "all here" but so far I feel I'm still "all here" and my greatest wish is that I'll still be "all here" as long as I'm here. Ha, ha! Building Permanent Home By fall of 1915, we knew we must make arrangements for better living quarters, so with the already mentioned carpenter tools, we built a three-in-mansion. It was a real large house, we thought. The bedroom in one end, the dining room in the center, and the kitchen in the other end. We used imaginary drapes between for privacy. As each child arrived it was necessary to move to town for each blessed event. We rented the only available house, at least for Ned's arrival on April 22, 1918. Then Rex Buckley who was delivered June 23, 1921. Move to Monticello We moved to Monticello permanently when Hans decided he wanted to try his fate as a butcher, and Fawn was old enough to enter school. Meat Market Hans opened a meat market on main street, next to Robert Anderson's office, as soon as we moved to Monticello. Duke Edwards who worked for Hans after school each day gives his recollection of the first few years. He said that Hans would bring in meat from the farm and when that was gone he would return to the farm to kill another beef to sell. He gradually added other items such as hoop cheese, coffee, and Prince Albert. The meat block was made from a large tree that Hans cut down. One of Dukes jobs was to haul six blocks of ice, weighing 100 pounds each from the ice house, which was located near Herm Butt's present home, to the store and place them above the room used for storing the meat. This was enough ice to keep one ton of meat cool for the day. The ice was originally cut from Lloyd Hansen or Pete Bailey's reservoir with an ice saw and then hauled into town on a sleigh where it was stored and covered with sawdust. Another job that Duke had was to deliver two loads of sugar, one ton each, every two months to the bootleggers from Summit Point and Coalbed, who would of course, pick up the sugar out of the city limits. The freight came in on two wagons pulled by six head of horses with one driver every seven days originating in Thompson. Later, freight would also come in from Durango. The day that Rex Buckley died, Duke recalls seeing Hans running home and he watched him until he rounded the corner where the old bank was. Duke said that Hans was the stoutest man he ever knew for his size. He could handle a beef by himself and hauled his meat is a little Model T Ford pickup. Illness I was very ill one year when Dawn was about two years old. I had been to Salt Lake with Mother to attend Primary conference. When I returned home, I became seriously ill. Dr. Sherman was the only Doctor in San Juan County at that time. It happened on a Sunday morning when I blacked out and I thought I was going to die. Hans left to get Mother and Grandmother Mortensen and when they saw me they realized I was very low. They sent a car to Blanding to get Dr. Sherman. He gave me heart medicine for about ten days but I continued to get weaker each day. About twelve o'clock one night they decided to take me to Cortez to the Hospital. I was treated by Dr. Johnson for three weeks and the nurses were so good to me. I had Hans contact two Elders who administered to me. I came back home still very weak and exhausted. I stayed in an upstairs room at Mother's for two months and I could not have company. Louie Frost cared for Dawn, and my oldest daughter, Fawn who was twelve or fourteen years old kept the home fires burning. I owe my life to my sister Zola for the two months comfort and tender loving care she gave me. I was hanging on for dear life and I am still here to prove it. I wonder now if I ever expressed my appreciation to her. She loved me and brought me through many crucial times in my married life. She attended me when Betty was born. Primary Organist I was organist in the Primary for many years. This took much of my time, especially when we were practicing for a Primary program. My own children always participated in such things which always lifts any parent ego. They were most often dressed in costumes made of crepe paper. No doubt I thought my children were the best as I was a little prejudiced. Trip to Las Vegas Hans and I went to Las Vegas with his sister Maud and her husband Bannard Mattson. They lived in Salina and Bannard was the Forest Supervisor of the LaSal Forest Reserve for many years and they had five boys and one darling daughter. The boys were full of the devil and could whip any kid in town, as I remember. Las Vegas was just a wide place in the road at that time, probably about 1917 because Fawn was two years old and was left in Salina with a baby sitter. The gambling was going full speed, a place of shelter. There were no beautiful casinos as now. They would quickly nail up lumber shakes and there were no doors to the gambling houses that were open twenty four hours a day. It was decidedly a construction town. All of the homes were quickly constructed of lumber and some seemed to be made of cardboard. They were used mostly for construction workers on the Boulder Dam who came and left, but there were good wages and Vegas was really growing. The comparison of that time and the present in unbelievable. My Working Days My timidity or bashfulness was most painful from which I never really recovered until it became necessary to have the responsibility of making a livelihood. Meeting people was a necessity and I loved it, the high and lowly alike. I had a lot of experiences meeting salesman, salesladies, attending market in Salt Lake, Ogden, Denver, Phoenix, which was enlightening. One time when I was at market in Salt Lake City, I recall one of the attendants said to me, "Oh, you live way down in San Juan, such a long way." I informed him that it wasn't any farther down there than it was up here. I grew accustomed to my pace, never neglecting my responsibilities with my wonderful family. Our Children Fawn was the oldest and was very responsible, dependable and was such a joy. She was full of fun and had many friends. She would tell me her troubles and joys. Most childhood illnesses were had without too many serious effects. Fawn at eighteen months developed whooping cough while living at the ranch. She became very sick and we rushed her to town to Mother's home in our slow mode of traveling in a wagon. As we neared Monticello at the creek south of Town, my dear baby went into a convulsion from the terrible cough. We were frantic and stopped at the creek to revive her. We laid her out for dead more than once in the three weeks. She had two nurses, Grandma Nielson, as she was called, and Mrs. Weber, who took turns assisting in her care. Many times we called the Elders for a blessing. It just was not her time to go. After three weeks of constant care she recovered. She was quarantined for three weeks, when we went back to the ranch. Ned ruled the roost and always had a house full of friends. He liked to cook, making pigs in blankets, and hot chocolate. He had scores of friends and I doubt if he ever lost one. They loved to come to eat Mom's baked beans. Jay Wilson, Keith Halls, and Gordon Woods still remind me of those times when I see them. He had a lot of wit and was always kind to everyone. Ned was my mainstay after returning home from serving his country in World Way II. His school days were ended because we needed help at the store. Hans was ill for many years and Ned came to my rescue. Rex Buckley was loaned to us for only eighteen months and died very suddenly the day after Christmas, December 26, 1924. Betty had a witty personality, was a tomboy and could beat all the boys playing marbles. She had ten pounds of marbles she won. She played their games and loved it. She confided in me with here minor and major problems and I loved that. Betty had many boy friends. As a small child Betty was very ill with the flu. She was only relieved when I was constantly holding her hand as I sat by her bed. Thanks to mustard plasters, onion plasters, castor oil with orange juice, a homemade cough medicine, etc. and tender loving care she recovered. Dawn the youngest was also a doll. As a child she had the house full of paper dolls to play with as well as the real life dolls that came to play. Dawn was terribly ill with intestinal flu and had a temperature of 105. I remember Dr. Spearman gave her a drop of liquor every hour to stimulate her heart. He thought there was no way to save her. We called in Elder Jay Redd and Bert Redd to administer to her. After the blessing her fever broke and she was on the way to recovery. Schooling for our Children It was my desire to send my children to college, although none received a degree they came through with flying colors. Fawn attended BYU. Ned attended the AC at Logan until he was called for duty during World War II. Betty graduated from LDS Business College and attended the University of Utah. Dawn went to the University of Utah and graduated from Chillicothe Business College in Missouri. My 2nd Husband, Brons Walter R. Bronson (Brons) was born October 21, 1902 to Hugh Bronson and Mary Ann Batterson in Spencer, Iowa and was the 7th of 9 children. His sister Fritz says, "Walter was a mom's baby boy who sometimes upset the apple cart as he did at Elactra White's house. He ordered coffee when he was supposed to ask for milk or water. Although his cousin drank much of his oatmeal gruel, he has lived to be a "ripe old aged" gentleman. Walter renamed his sister Mildred, and his name "Billy" has stuck. His autograph will be another success story with a silver lining in every cloud. One of the brightest linings is having Della for a partner. How lucky can an old man be in this day and era?" His desire to become a lawyer while at St. John's University in Minnesota was curtailed when his father died. He then went into sales in Minnesota and after came west and was engaged in the grocery and packing house business for several years in South Dakota. He was thirty years old when he met his first wife, Virgainia Wilcox Harrison at Hot Springs, South Dakota and they were married there September 26, 1932. They later moved to Grand Junction, Colorado, where their daughter Barbara was born. Virginia had two daughters by a previous marriage, Jean Gardner, and Ella Moss Dagonhart, and they took good care of Bobby after her mother's death. Brans entered the mining business and was mine superintendent and production manager for several uranium and vanadium companies, including Four Corners Uranium for 9 years. He often said, "The mining business is a **** good business to stay out of, it is uphill and downhill all the time." He moved to Monticello in 1939. His personal mining venture began when the only means of mining was with pick and shovel, hauling the ore out by mule. When he acquired the Wilson Shaft east of Monticello, modern methods of mining were available. His uncanny sixth sense for mining was highly respected by others who sought him out for advice, which brought more success to them than to himself. His word was his bond and he was always prompt in taking care of his obligations. Marriage I first met Brons at Joe Weston's who managed apartments. We were married on December 27, 1954 in Las Vegas and my brother Leon and his wife Beryle went with us, then we drove on to California to see my sister Fay and Mac. Brons was honest, dependable and industrious. The word "quit" was not in his vocabulary. He didn't know what it meant to give up. He enjoyed people and his charity was never known to others. His sense of humor was unsurpassed, but he came by it naturally. All of his brothers and sisters also have a great sense of humor. One of my daughters told me that I should write a book about his humorous sayings. Broken Ankle Brons was always good and thoughtful to me regardless of the circumstances. I broke my ankle one night as were leaving our home to go to the bowling alley, and I thought my life had come to an end. I was crippled pretty badly for at least two full years. Brons was a dear, he became chief cook, kept the house clean, and did the laundry. One day I missed him and wondered where he was and soon found him in the laundry room ironing sheets. Bowling We loved to bowl and when it looked like Monticello was about to lose the bowling alley, Brons made arrangements to purchase the business with a partner. Fishing Brons was an avid fisherman and we spent many hours in our boat, at Flaming Gorge, Lake Powell, etc. and we had many close calls when wind and storms would come up suddenly on the lakes. Wayne and Cleo Rasmussen went with us many times. Brons called me "Punk" and he also gave our boat that name. Retirement After Brons retired he spent several hours each day with his friends at the Café settling national and world affairs at what he called the "Round Table." He was really perturbed at the state of our nation and the great changes taking place. He loved his friends and sometimes his sense of humor was a little hard to take until he was fully understood. Business Trips Brons always insisted that I go with him on his business trips. Most of the time was traveled by plane to the mining conventions. Attorney Robert Anderson, and Dwayne Frandsen traveled with us many times and I did enjoy the association of those good men, but I thought many times if I had my choice I would do the business different. World Series We went to the World Series in Milwaukee and mingled with a lot of big shots. One of our friends planned a way to get into the stadium without walking a long way, by showing crutches and telling the people at the gate that we had a cripple, and were allowed to drive right up to the grand stand. All Star Game One year we were fortunate enough to go to St. Louis to see the All Star Game, but I became very ill with the flu. We called the hotel doctor and had to forget the game. The next day we got to see "My Fair Lady," and went window shopping. I discovered never to say that something was pretty because Brons would buy anything he thought I liked. When Brons was about 68 years old he was restricted physically with heart problems. He later developed cancer and as his many friends came by to see him they would encourage him to get well. He would always say, "there is no way of getting out of this world alive." The last two months of his life, he insisted that I be with him constantly. That I will never regret. He died March 31, 1976. Politics Just a note of politics - after supporting Bennion Redd, my friend for twenty-eight years, an opportunity came to support my dear nephew. You know blood is thicker than water, so I put my shoulder to the wheel and showed my loyalty to Bruce Halliday, my nephew. I figured he would be just as good as any Democrat as long as he behaved himself. It was fun, fun! When Charles Hardy Redd chose to run for State Represenative, I knew that he was the man and he won big. Following are letters and ads concerning my political activities: Letter to Editor by Della Bronson Well, I hear there is to be a national election November 7th, so don't forget that. I would like to impress on each eligible voter to vote for Hardy Redd, whom we hope will be fortunate to represent our own San Juan County, also Wayne County, and Garfield County, the three counties of God's own wonderland, of all nature... Lake Powell, Bullfrog, Rainbow Bridge, farming, mining, oil, irrigated and dry land of beans and grains, boating, fishing, and more and more possibilities. We need an intelligent, capable, trustworthy man, and we have the man if we will all vote for him. Hardy can steer the ship of state or counties which he will represent...that is, with you voting help. He is interested in Wayne County and Garfield County. They are south of the Wasatch Front. He is eligible to assume this responsibility. Don't ask Hardy the party he stands for, we just don't care. We like you and your vote is solicited. The following is a quote from a famous actor and humanitarian, John Wayne... and I quote, "Hell, I've never in my life voted for a party, I always vote for the "man"". A few years ago, or longer than that, as I recall the story, Hardy and good wife, Sunny, will testify to this epistle. Brons and I were stranded on Lake Powell in our boat. Brons, my husband, had been given orders by two doctors, Dr. Goon and a heart specialist, Dr. Wilkinson of Salt Lake City, to not do any strenuous work or exercise because of a heart condition. Our boat stopped suddenly and for about 30 minutes Brons cranked on the boat trying to get the motor started...but to no avail. We didn't have a red flag we could use. We just weren't organized. It seemed like an eternity, but soon the angels of mercy, in the form of Hardy and his good wife Sunny, came to our rescue and within two minutes Hardy had the motor going and we were sailing away on that special lake that we loved so much. One funny note of interest was the fact that I was using crutches because of a crushed ankle that had left me immobile months before. I loved the lake, the boating, fishing, and the many people we me there, so like a child I wanted to make this trip and Brons always insisted that I go along. I have felt a kin to Hardy and wife because of this experience. Good luck Hardy Redd and family. May you Win! Win! And make this a happy experience and success in your life. I recall your father and grandfather were both Utah Representatives in their day. My 82nd Birthday My family showered me with many remembrances and telephone calls when I became 82 years young. A newcomer asked me if I had lived here all of my life, and I had to give her just a simple honest answer, "No no not yet." My Testimony I feel I should bear my testimony as to the truthfulness of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. As the song goes, "God Moves In a Mysterious Way His Wonders to Perform." I have always thought I had a "testimony" of the Gospel, mostly because I was born in the Church and knowledge and training rubbed off on me a little. But, in the last two years I have felt that burning in my bosom we are promised if we but search for that knowledge. I owe my testimony to God, to our Savior, to my parents and to my Sunday School and Relief Society teachers, my wonderful neighbors, and my dear family. I have had two husbands who are relieved of the suffering of this life, and neither were members of the Church, but they were honest and good men. I have always exercised my right as a member to call on the Priesthood in times of need and comfort. Thanks to my parents for they did give me the fundamentals of living right and though I did stray, I hope they will forgive me. I always thought it great to try everything once. Well I probably did. Only once did I do something I regretted, but I did repent and I know I have been forgiven. I am sure of that beyond a shadow of a doubt. I love the Lord and Jesus Christ and my neighbor as myself. We are supposed to love all of Gods children. That is a large commandment, but I truly try. The school of hard knocks is still one of the best, so I am grateful for the experiences of my life, trials, tribulations, contentions, joys, sorrows, I didn't complain because that was the only life I knew. I am just realizing that the early years were indeed pioneering, compared to what we are blessed with today. I have never thought material things of life were the most important, but what we get by the sweat of our brow was really appreciated. Well, under this nostalgic spell, I sit here crying, laughing, and enjoying it all. Mostly all for the love and bonds and ties of a family, the family I love so much. That's what it is all about!

Life timeline of Walter R. Bronson

Walter R. Bronson was born on 21 Oct 1902
Walter R. Bronson was 14 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Walter R. Bronson was 26 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Walter R. Bronson was 37 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Walter R. Bronson was 42 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
Walter R. Bronson was 53 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Walter R. Bronson was 62 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
Walter R. Bronson died on 31 Mar 1976 at the age of 73
Grave record for Walter R. Bronson (21 Oct 1902 - 31 Mar 1976), BillionGraves Record 13419643 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States