Walter H Ludlow

29 Aug 1883 - 15 Apr 1959

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Walter H Ludlow

29 Aug 1883 - 15 Apr 1959
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

As told by his daughter, Thelma Ludlow Our father, Paul Ludlow, was born at Ovenden, Yorkshire, England September 27, 1876. He was the third child of Enoch and Lavinia Horsefall Ludlow. His two older brothers, John and Thomas Edwin, were also born in England. When Paul was two years old his father,
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Walter H Ludlow
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Walter H Ludlow


Benjamin Cemetery

8435 S 3200 W
Benjamin, Utah, Utah
United States


June 1, 2011


June 1, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Walter H...

We found more records about Walter H Ludlow.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Walter H


Walter H Ludlow is buried in the Benjamin Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Memorizes of Paul Ludlow

Contributor: dbknox Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

As told by his daughter, Thelma Ludlow Our father, Paul Ludlow, was born at Ovenden, Yorkshire, England September 27, 1876. He was the third child of Enoch and Lavinia Horsefall Ludlow. His two older brothers, John and Thomas Edwin, were also born in England. When Paul was two years old his father, mother and their three little boys, his grandfather, Nathaniel Ludlow, his grandmother, Mary Ann and their youngest child, Walter, emigrated to America. With the exception of his mother, Lavinia, all the members of the families had embraced the gospel and were members of the Mormon church. The Ludlows embarked at Liverpool, England, September 14, 1878 on the ship "SS Wyoming." The destination was Utah. Letters received by Lavinia after her arrival in Utah tell of the weather during the ocean voyage. I quote from one of her father's letters. "We are so glad that you have landed safely. We felt certain you would all be sick, as the weather set in here on the day you sailed extremely rough and boisterous and remained so for nearly a week. We oft remarked that you would have had a proper tossing." Grandma told little interesting incidents of the ocean voyage. She said the boat's captain called Paul "that white haired squealing little pig." We can assume that the "tossing" did make him sick and irritable and that he gave vent to his miserable feelings by crying a great deal. John and Thomas seemed to fare a little better. The cook took them to his galley several times and gave them little tidbits to eat. Uncle Thomas always said that he faintly remembered this. When they reached America they completed the remainder of the journey by railroad from the east coast to Utah. They arrived in Salt Lake City in October, 1878. Paul's grandmother Ludlow had a sister, Ellen Huish who had previously joined the Church and emigrated to Payson , Utah. After spending a week in Salt Lake City the Ludlows went to Payson and remained during the winter with Ellen and her husband, Jim Huish. In the spring Paul's father, Enoch moved his family into a house at Lake Shore and later into a dugout. They remained there until fall then moved back to Benjamin to what was called the Stewart Ranch. Much of that ranch still remains in Benjamin. There is a large house with a barn, shade trees and spring water. Stewarts live there still and I think they still use the ranch as a gathering center for the family. Enoch's family lived at this ranch site one and a half years. During this time Paul;s oldest brother, John, met and accidental death in Payson Canyon where he had gone with his father to get a load of wood. He was eight years of age. Paul always said that he could well remember the sadness of that tragic event. Enoch obtained another piece of land in east Benjamin and moved his family there. Their first dwelling consisted of an old granary and a dugout. Then they built a log house which they occupied until it was destroyed by fire. They were compelled to live in an old honey house while they were building a brick house which remained many years. During these years many more children were born to Paul's parents. They were Nathaniel, Jesse, Walter Horsefall, Enoch Jr., Richard, Fred and Priscilla, the only daughter. Now, even without John there were eight boys to help do the difficult tasks involved in clearing and cultivating the land. There were many trees to be cut, stumps to be removed and endless hours of plowing, leveling, and digging of irrigation ditches. Paul often talked about the hardships of those early days. They all went barefoot as long as the weather allowed. During the winter they wore wool sox that their mother was constantly knitting every time she sat down for a break. They had one pair of shoes made by the town shoemaker. We can assume there were boots for them to wear in the corral. Paul's schooling was very irregular. He could attend school only a short period in the winter when it was impossible to do farm work. He was compelled to leave school as soon as the spring work could begin on the farm. He has told us that he cried because he wanted to remain in school. As soon as they were settled on their farm, Enoch planted fruit trees and berry plants. Every year they planted and meticulously cared for a wonderful vegetable garden. This was a lot of work but it provided good, wholesome food for those hungry, growling boys. Lavinia baked ten huge loaves of bread every day and somehow it always disappeared. They raised their own meat and eggs and they were all fond of fruit and vegetables. These eating habits carried through life and Paul and his brothers had good gardens and orchards when they acquired their own farms. Their store rooms contained bacon, hams and every type of bottled meat to be used when fresh meat was unavailable, as well as fruit and vegetables. As a youth Paul became a musician. He bought himself a cornet (trumpet) and with the assistance of some older musicians he learned to read music and play his instrument. When he was thirteen years old a brass band was organized at Benjamin. Paul was a member of that band. Paul played in dance orchestras throughout the valley. he would work in the field all day then ride a horse to where ever the dance happened to be. One night he played at Spanish Fork. It was a stormy night and Paul was very tired. On the way home he tied the cornet to the saddle, tied the reins to himself and went to sleep allowing the horse to find its way home. All at once he awakened with water surrounding him. The bridge of Spanish Fork River had been washed out with the storm and the horse had taken to the stream. Paul arrived home a very wet young man. By the time the large, roomy house was completed, the boys were helping a little financially and the family was prospering. Paul took the initiative in landscaping their yard. He planted lawn and flowers, trees and shrubs and it was a pleasant environment for the large family. We must mention Paul's favorite sport which began as a youth and continues through his adult life. He loved to go wild duck hunting. He position should be to get the best results. He never failed to bring some game home. When the young people had "contest hunting" he was always among the first to be chosen when they had two sides competing. Paul also enjoyed playing baseball and marbles. He said that as a very young lad he was champion marble shooter. After a while his friends would not play with him because he won all their marbles. Paul and all his brothers helped Grandpa Enoch financially as they grew old enough to obtain remunerative work. They played their instruments in bands and orchestras, and worked in the Tintic mines during the winter when there was no work to do on the farm. At Tintic they usually did their own cooking and house work to save money. They kept only enough of their wages to by the absolute essentials, and gave the rest to their father. As he matured into a young man, Paul served in practically every position in the Church. He told how he also played the lead in many of the Church and town dramas. This continued even after his marriage and Adlinda didn't approve to highly of this. She told how Ione had a convulsion one night while dad was performing at one of these plays and she was there alone with the sick child. The other children were sleeping. Paul said that his first introduction to Mother (Adlinda) was at the open door of her home at Spanish Fork. He used to go there with his father to peddle fruit and as they passed Mother's home they could see through the door the table set with a clean cloth and enticing food. he said he used to wish he could sit at that table and sure enough he did,----- many times. He becomes better acquainted with Adlinda Lewis as he played for dances at Spanish Fork. She was a dance enthusiast and rarely missed one. When someone would sit in for Paul he would leave the orchestra and dance with her and so they became well acquainted. He discovered that she was a school teacher. On June 28, 1899 Paul married Adlinda Lewis in the Salt Lake Temple. They moved to Eureka, Utah and Paul worked full time in the mines. I do not know why Mother did not have her picture taken in her wedding dress. It may have been because they did not have a large reception, -- just a social given by Grandma Lewis for the family. Back on the farm Lewis, the first and only boy was born. Uncle Enoch presented him with a pair of overalls the day he was born. Everyone though that now Paul had someone to take over the farm when he retired. This was not to be. Lewis just couldn't care less for a farm and he did very well without one. As the years went by Paul improved his farm by putting in a drain, buying new farm implements and rotating his crops. All this time he kept busy working in the Church and community and going to the mines to earn extra money when it was desperately needed. Paul and Adlinda had a great desire to educate their children and this was a hardship. Each year Paul would borrow money from the bank to pay the school tuitions and pay it back as soon as the harvest checks came. He never had trouble borrowing money because he had an excellent credit rating. Agnes had studied piano for some time and she was ready to enter the university music department at BYU. She stayed with an aunt (Priscilla) in Provo the first year. We three oldest girls rented a housekeeping room in Provo the next year, then Paul decided to move Adlinda and the family to Provo while he went back to the mines for awhile. This was done and Agnes continued with her music and also completed a course in business. The rest of us who were old enough attended BYU High School. Fern was taking pre-requisites for a business course and Thelma and Ione for teaching school. Kay and Lewis attended Parker elementary school. Agnes obtained an office position at Startup Candy Company. She didn't stay there long because she married Nels Black and moved to Deseret, Millard County, Utah. Paul, Adlinda and the two youngest children moved back to the farm again. Thelma, Fern and Ione rented a small apartment and stayed in Provo. After completing their courses they eventually found employment. Later Thelma went back to gain a degree, Kay went later and completed a business course, and Lewis obtained his degree in the sciences. Ione continued to teach school. Back on the farm Paul and Adlinda were very busy working in the church and community. Besides holding leadership positions. in the auxiliary organizations, Paul was made chairman of the Genealogy Committee, was one of the seven presidents of the seventies, was a member of the Church Building Committee to build a recreation hall, chairman of the committee to purchase the church organ and two pianos. All this was done. They also purchased some seats from the old Roxy Theater in Salt Lake City to put in the hall. Francis Lundell hauled the seats from Salt Lake City in a huge threshing truck. In April 1932 Paul was appointed bishop of Benjamin Ward and he served in this capacity for nine years. Under his leadership the chapel was remodeled, a heating system installed, carpet and drapes added and an adjoining recreation hall was built. During this time he kept up his farm and served on the Spanish Fork Irrigation Board. Eventually Fern married A. Melvin Thomas and moved to San Francisco, California. (Later they returned to Salt Lake City, Utah) Ione married Glen N. Mitchell and moved to Midvale, Utah. Kay married E. Taylor Day and lived in Salt Lake City. Taylor was a manager of one of the divisions of US Rubber Company so was transferred to various cities during his career. They married Nina Blank and moved to southern California to which he returned after serving in the armed forces during the second World War. Thelma remained an unmarried career woman. Having his only son and three grandsons called into the service during the war was one of the most unhappy interludes of Paul's life. During the last years Paul served as bishop of the ward Adlinda became handicapped with arthritis. The children worried about her being alone so much while Paul was performing his church duties. The children expressed this feeling to the president of the stake and in due time Paul was released from being the bishop. By this time Paul had paid off all his obligations (financial) on the farm and the title was clear. Free of the heavy church duties he had been carrying, Paul spent more time with the farm. His ambition was as great as ever but it was becoming apparent that he could not keep up with the physical demands. Adlinda, also, was unable to help as much as she always had. It was decided that they should sell the farm and move to Salt Lake City where they would be near to some of their children. Ione was in Midvale, Thelma Fern and Kay were in Salt Lake City, Agnes was in Delta, Utah and Lewis was still serving in the middle east with the armed forces. In February of 1945, Paul and Adlinda left the farm which had been sold to Newland Hansen. They moved to a home they had purchased at 1833 Lincoln Street, Salt Lake City, Utah. They became active members of the Richards Ward. Paul worked in the yard planting shrubs and tress. He covered an irrigation ditch in the front street thus greatly improving the safety and appearance of his property. Although Paul was retired from the farm at 68 of age he felt much too young to retire completely. He found employment as a carpenter's helper at the Salt Lake City Transit Lines. When that work was cancelled he did odd jobs at Petty Motor Company. He continued this light-type of work feeling useful and still earning a little money until his final illness forced him to stop. Paul attended his church meetings and did his home teaching regularly as long as he was able to be out. One woman in the ward who had become inactive in the church said that through his efforts she was brought back into church activity, and her little boy was baptized,. He later filled a mission from the Richards Ward. Although their home in Salt Lake City was smaller than the farm house, Paul and Adlinda kept "open house" for their children and grandchildren. Many happy visits occurred out on the patio in the back yard. One of the big events of the family occurred June 28, 1949. This was the golden wedding anniversary of Paul and Adlinda. It took place in Benjamin in the recreation hall Paul had built while he was bishop of the ward. Many friends and relatives gathered to honor Paul and Adlinda and to enjoy the program presented by their children and grandchildren. A dance followed the program and refreshments were served from a beautifully decorated table. The morning the Golden Wedding social, Paul's family gather at his home and a photograph of the entire family was taken. This was the last time the entire family was together while he still was alive. During the ten years following the Golden Wedding, Fern's husband, Melvin became ill with an inoperable brain tumor, and Paul and Adlinda were there to help whenever they could. By the time Mel died Fern had had quite a struggle, and it was will that she knew she had strong parents to back her up. There were other problems too, but whether the sufferer be child or grandchild we could depend upon Paul and Adlinda to be there when needed. One day in 1957, while at work at Petty Motor Paul had a stroke and became unconscious. The company manager called Adlinda and told her they were taking Paul to the hospital. She called the girls and they went right up. He did not have recurring strokes but became conscious and steadily improved. He came home in a week and was soon back at work as he wanted to be. The following year Taylor and Kay who had been living in New York City for several years were being transferred back to San Francisco. Taylor had a heart attack in the airplane on the way back and died just as the plane reached Salt Lake City. In the meantime Fern had developed terminal cancer. While the family was still trying to recuperate from these shocks Paul contracted a lung infection and had to be isolated at home. Adlinda stayed with him and we children called there to see them every day. During this time Paul especially enjoyed the visits and assistance of Ione's husband Glen who had become, more or less, a real son to him. The treatment Paul had to take was severe, and although his lungs tested negative in a short time his heart had been strained and he carried water in his tissues. The doctor sent him to the hospital to treat him for this condition thinking he would be back in about three days. In a matter of an hour or so after arriving at the hospital he suddenly died, February 15, 1959. Adlinda and we children took Paul back to Benjamin ward for his funeral services February 18, 1959. Bishop Henry Andersen of the Salt Lake City Richards Ward went to Benjamin to be one of the speakers. Paul was buried in the Spanish Fork Cemetery.

History of Walter Horsfall Ludlow and Sarah Inez Stewart Ludlow writen by Lynn Stewart Ludlow (their youngest son)

Contributor: dbknox Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

A History of Walter Horsfall Ludlow and Sarah Inez Stewart Ludlow Written by Lynn Stewart Ludlow (Youngest son) Walter Horsfall Ludlow Walter Horsfall Ludlow was born in Benjamin, Utah on 29 August 1883. His parents were Enoch Ludlow and Lavinia Horsfall Ludlow, who were citizens of England. Enoch and Lavinia fell in love and were married in England on 15 August 1872. Enoch, as a youth, and his parents were converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. His wife, Lavinia, became a member of the Church after they immigrated to the United States. Her parents had objected to her becoming a member of the church when she was in England. On 14 Sepbember 1878, Enoch and Lavinia along with Enoch’s parents, Nathaniel and Mary Ann, an done brother, Walter, and three of Enoch and Lavinia’s children; John, Thomas Edwin, and Paul, embarked at Liverpool, England on the ship “S.S. Wyoming” for the United States. Their destination was New York and then on to Utah. They desired to be closer to the headquarters of the Church and to provide them with a new life in a new country. They arrived in Salt Lake City in October 1878. They then went on to Payson, Utah, where they spent the winter. Enoch’s mother had a sister, Ellen Huish, who had previously joined the church and had immigrated to Payson. The following spring, they moved to a location in West Benjamin where they remained until fall, then they moved ot what is called the Stewart Ranch. (The Stewart Ranch was developed by Andrew Jackson Stewart, a brother of Benjamin Franklin Stewart, who was the father of Luther Kimball Stewart and the grandfather of Sarah Inez Stewart.) They lived at the ranch site for one and a half years. During this time their oldest son, John, who was eight years old, met an accidental death in Payson canyon where he had gone with his father to get a load of wood. Enoch, through the Homestead Act, obtained an acreage of land in east Benjamin and moved his family there. Their first dwellings consisted of an old granary and a dugout. Enoch then built a log house which the family occupied until it was destroyed by fire. After the fire, they were compelled to live in an old honey house while they built a new brick home which remained at that site for many years. During the next several years on this farm, additional children were born to Enoch and Lavinia. They were Nathaniel, Jesse, Walter, Enoch Jr., Richard, Fred, and the only daughter, Pricilla. It was here as the family grew that they became an influential family in the growth and development of the community of Benjamin. The family worked together on the farm developing it into one that would support and provide for the family’s needs. The work was not easy and there were many difficulites, but working as a family unit, they developed it into a well-established, productive farm. They incorporated into the farm operation livestock, planted an orchard, acquired bees, and they always had a large garden space. Bricks for the beautiful brick home that was constructed were obtained in payment for the labor of the boys working at a nearby brick kiln. The home and farm became a place of joy in which many memorable family events were experienced. It was in this rural farm setting that Walter was able to grow into manhood. He was a responsible and contributing member of his family. He learned the value of hard work and the blessings that come from honest labor. He grew to be very handsome and tall in stature. He stayed close to the Church and was able to progress in its priesthood. He fulfilled all his Church assignments and callings. Walter loved all sports and developed into an excellent baseball player. His position, the one he excelled in, was first base. He was always on the town and school baseball team even though he was often much younger than the other players. He enjoyed music and was a member of their family band as well as a member of the Benjamin Brass Town Band. He played the French horn and the bass horn. He took advantage of the schooling available at that time, and was able to complete schooling thru the eighth grade. Walter had an uncle named Walter Ludlow, who also lived in Benjamin at this time. As Walter got older, confusion between the two Walter Ludlow’s became apparent. Mail was often delivered to the wrong Walter. To correct this confusion, Walter, my father, went by the name of Walter H. After his uncle passed away he want by the name Walter, Walter H., or just Walt. Sarah Inez Stewart Sarah Inez Stewart was born in Benjamin, Utah, on 8 January 1883. Her parents were Luther Kimble Stewart and Catherine Lydia Haskell Stewart. Both of her parents were children of early pioneers who had joined the church [The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints] and became part of the Mormon migration to Utah. The town of Benjamin received its name from her grandfather, Benjamin Franklin Stewart. Inez's father and mother loved the outdoors and soon after they were married on 23 December 1875, they took up a homestead in Benjamin. The land area included in that homestead became the center part or heart of Benjamin. Through hard work it became a productive and successful farm. A beautiful home was built on the property. Children born to Luther and Catherine were Nora, Ethel, Luther K. Jr., Sarah Inez, Lynn D., and Wendell L. A sister, Edith Catherine, and brother, Bernard, died in infancy. Through the influence of her father, who was studious and an educator, Inez was encouraged to obtain as much education as possible. . Through his encouragement, support, and influence she was able to complete a high school level of education plus attend the Brigham Young Academy. Inez still had time to enjoy many other experiences as she grew up in Benjamin. She enjoyed the plays, the dances, the picnics, and the association with many other young people of the area. Inez was small in stature, attractive, vivacious, and athletic. She was positive, definite, determined in attitude, and very strong-willed in personality. A good example of her character is reflected in this story: When she was in her early teens she exhibited the same display of excitement and fear as the other girls when a young boy of their group, who had found a snake, chased the girls. It was okay until he cornered Inez. Then after teasing her, he threw the snake at her and it hit her. This she did not like. She immediately picked up the snake, chased the boy, threw him down, died the snake around his neck and walked away. It was during these years as young people in Benjamin that Walter and Inez had many opportunities to become better acquainted with each other. They both came from influential families of the community, they were in the same age group, and they were actively involved in church, school, and civic activities. Walter was tall and handsome and Inez was petite and beautiful and as time went on their association with each other became first that of friendship and then that of love. On 15 June 1904, they were married in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. Walter and Inez Soon after their marriage they followed the same pattern as many other young couples of that time, that of working in the silver mines near Eureka, Tinic, and Mammoth. There was a need to develop a financial base for these young families and miners were well paid. Walter spent a few months working as a miner in the Eureka-Tinic area while Inez stayed at home with her parents. It did not take long for both Walter and Inez to realize that they would rather be a farm and livestock family than a miner's family. To start their farming and livestock career, Inez's father gave Walt and Inez approximately 8.32 acres of land on which they could build a home and other essential farm support buildings. It provided them with some acreage to start their farming operation. Later they purchased approximately 7.26 acres of productive farm land East of Benjamin store or intersection. It should be noted that everything in Benjamin was located based on its direction and distance from the Benjamin store or intersection. Several years later on March 15, 1919, another parcel of land consisting of approximately 160 acres was purchased. This land was to be used for irrigated crop production and natural pasture. It was known as the West Mount Farm and was located approximately 3 miles West of their home. In the settlement of Inez's father's estate, a pasture of approximately 10 acres was added which was located on both sides of the Benjamin slough as it crossed the road to the West Mountain Farm. (All of these properties were located in the Salt Lake Base and Meridian. A complete legal description of the location of each property can be found at the end of this history.) These acreages provided the basis for a livestock and poultry farm operation. Then with the addition of grazing permits on the Uintah National Forest Land, U.S. Strawberry Reclamation Project Lands, and Western Desert Lands, their farm operation capabilities were increased. With the land and grazing permits came livestock increases, the construction of a home, a barn, pig pens, sheep sheds, chicken coops and other essential farm buildings. Then followed the drilling of essential domestic well sand the acquiring of water rights to develop efficient irrigation systems. With hours of hard work and wise decisions, Walter and Inez developed a productive farm-livestock operation that provided them and their family with the basic needs to be a prosperous and envied family unit. Inez and Walter and the family members worked together as a team. The family consisted of 5 children: Beulah, born 19 October 1905; Aldon Walter, born 3 September 1908; Fay, born 2 April 1912; Dean Stewart, born 7 September 1913; and Lynn Stewart, born 26 February 1918. Walter and Inez's prosperity has continued to grow until at this time July 1994 there are 17 grandchildren, 59 great grandchildren, and 59 great-great grandchildren. Walter and Inez were always trying to improve their farm operation to make it more productive and to improve the economics of their farm. The following are a few unique examples of their efforts to improve the economy of their farm operation. A creamery was constructed as part of the Benjamin store and through an agreement with its owner, Walter and Inez had a pipeline built that ran from the creamery directly to their pig barn. Skim milk, buttermilk, etc., from the creamery was delivered directly to the pig barn. This expedited and improved the growth of the pigs making them more marketable at a better price. This prosperous operation continued until the creamery closed. They then converted their effort from pigs to cattle, sheep and poultry. Two large chicken coops were constructed to provide for a thriving egg production business. The kitchen in the home was often used to help the young chicks get through the early cool weather growth period. The kitchen was also used to boil fish that had been delivered from Utah Lake. These cooked fish were mixed with farm produced grains to provide higher mineral based feed for the laying chickens. This enhanced feed mixture resulted in greater egg production and made this part of their farm operation more profitable. As Inez once stated, cooking the fish in the kitchen left it with a “far-out, carry-over odor.” Their capable skills were also demonstrated in the joint preparation of eggs to be cleaned, candled, and made ready for market at a top price at the Utah Poultry Producers Association. A water system was developed from an artesian well which provided a continuous water supply to the home, the garden, the lawn, the barn, the chicken cook, the pig pens, the sheep sheds, the cattle feeding sheds, etc., or wherever needed. To make the most economical use of the production from the irrigation crop acreages of alfalfa and grain, and from the by-products of sugar beet pulp and sileage from pea's delivered to the cannery, they would feed and fatten for market, prime cattle and sheep. Walter became an expert on how and when to market the livestock. Because of the high quality of this livestock, he was always able to receive top price from the livestock market. Inez often stated that he paid more attention to the cattle and sheep than he did to her. She said he knew his animals by a name he had given them as a “look-alike” to someone he knew. A book could be written on their cattle, sheep, poultry, and pig operation. The above are just a few examples. They also had horses for work; horses to pull the wagon, to plow the fields, and to haul the hay and grain. This included riding horses to assist with the sheep and cattle operation and there was always one gentle riding horse for the children and grandchildren to ride. Later as economics changed trucks and tractors were purchased to replace the work horses. Inez and Walter were proud of the home they build just West of the Benjamin store. The home and its additions were jointly planned and much of the construction was done by them. Walter was quick to point out that the red sandstone rock used for he foundation was hauled by him with a wagon and team of horses from Spanish Fork canyon. The same effort was exerted in obtaining most of the other material used in the home. In the beginning it was a four room home plus a small room called the pantry. Also included was a covered porch area in the front plus an uncovered porch in the back. The four rooms were kitchen, dining room, living room, and bedroom. The dining room served at one time as the living room and the original living room as a bedroom. Near the back of the home was built a fruit and vegetable storage area plus a coal and wood storage shed. Just adjacent to and farther behind the house and storage shed was constructed the buggy shed to protect the vital transportation vehicle. Located just to the side and back of the buggy shed was the essential outside two-holer privy. Years later and attached to the original home and extending back to the food storage shed, two bedrooms were added and the bck concrete porch was covered by the same roof. This served the family well for many years but was improved in the late twenties when pressure water was piped into the home and the pantry was converted into a bathroom. In the 1950s the food storage room became the furnace room and a hot water heating system was added to provide the home with a central heating system. The home had previously been heated by a coockstove in the kitchen and a heatarola in the dining room and/or living room. With these changes it became a more convienent and modern home. Surrounding the home was a beautiful, well-kept green grass yard with Inez's rose garden and other flower beds scattered about. To the West of the home was the large productive garden, the envy of everyone. It produced vegetables of all kinds and provided the vegetable requirement for the family year round. Friends and neighbors also shared in its harvest. Walter and Inez were always strong in their testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints. Their faith was tested early in their married life. In 1909, after the birth of their first two children, Walter was called to serve a two year mission for the LDS church in England. He accepted the call and served well. For the first year and a half of his mission, Inez and the two children lived with her mother. The home that they had built was lived in my Walter's two brothers, Jesse and Enoch and their wives. For the last six months of his mission, Inez was able to join Walter in England and they both served the Church. The two children, Beulah and Aldon, stayed with Inez's mother and father. Upon returning home from England, Walter and Inez continued to be active in the Church and community. Walter served as Superintendent of the YMIA and he served in the Superintendency of the Sunday School. He was the Coordinator and Leader of the Bejnamin Religion Class, which was the forerunner of today's LDS Seminary. For 19 years he served as a High Councilman in the Nebo Stake. He was always involve din choir and musical activities and he was the Director of the choir and of many ward musical plays. He was often called upon to sing at various functions in the community. He played the french horn in bands in both Benjamin and Payson. For years many people enjoyed the band concerts held at Payson Park. Walter was active in improving the community and in support of the agriculture and livestock industry, Walter served as a Director of the Strawberry Water Users Association, Director, Utah Farm Loan Association, a member of Spanish Fork Livestock Association, and a charter member of the Utah Poultry Producers Association. Each of these organizations were vital to the interest of the area. Inez served as a teacher in many organizations. For many years she was the Ward Relief Society Secretary. She was a charter member of the Benjamin Stewart Camp of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. She was continuously called upon to assist in the health and welfare of the people of Benjamin. Time and time again she was called form her home to assist those that had a health problem in their family. In many ways an dfor many years she served in the role of community nurse. Inez fulfilled a commitment to her mother to see that her mother received an insulin shot three times a day to help control a diabetic problem. Regardless of the weather Inez made the walk to her mother's home to provide this service. This she did over a period of several years. Walter and Inez were indeed a part of the growth and stability of the community of Benjamin. Throughout their lives, they were a popular and fun-loving couple. They loved to dance and seldom missed the church or community dances. They were considered one of the better dance couples in the area. On one occasion they entered a dance contest at the famous Saltair Resort on the shore of the Great Salt Lake. As contest participants were eliminated, Inez and Walter were one of the two couples remaining. After several efforts by the judges to render their decision, the judges finally selected the other couple as the winner. Not because that couple were better dancers, but because they were a better balanced couple due to their relative height. Walter was tall and Inez was short. Walter had a special charm which benefited many people in Utah County. Where the charm came from is a secret, how it worked is still a secret, but hundreds came to his home to have him “charm” off their warts. Many testimonies were given that through his wart removing procedure or “charm,” their warts disappeared. Walter and Inez were a vital part of and an influential couple in the community of Benjamin. Walter served as personal confidant to many. He and Inez lived and taught by example and they maintained high principles and standards throughout their lives. They were friends to everyone and were always ready to assist anyone in trouble. In 1920, during the great flu epidemic, they took into their home a young boy, Jack Berge. Jack's parents had died and left seven children. Members of the community of Benjamin were asked to open their doors to these orphaned children so that they could continue to live near each other. Walter and Inez were one of the first to respond to this request. Jack lived with them until he completed high school. Walter and Inez illustrated the beauty of life; they enjoyed it to the fullest. They reflected often on home and family and on the time they spent in England during Walter's mission. They relived their visit to the San Francisco World Fair. One highlight in their life was their Golden Wedding trip to Washington, D.C., New York City, Hyde Park, Niagra Falls, and Palmyra, New York. Walter was always greatly impressed with President Franklin D. Roosevelt, so the trip to Hyde Park was very special to him. They enjoyed many family get-togethers. These often included family dinners and always a family dinner on Thanksgiving and Christmas. At these gatherings the adult family members were always ready to play a game of sluff, a popular card game. Inez was an expert at the game having been taught by her father. The grandchildren enjoyed these get-togethers as well, playing on the farm and having a great time playing with cousins. Walter and Inez had a great love for their family. They made regular visits to family members and were always concerned about the accomplishments and achievements of their children as well as their grandchildren. They were always willing and often extended a helping hand to any family member in need regardless of the cost or inconvenience to them. Walter completed his life's mission on April 15, 1959 and Inez hers on May 26, 1967. They were interred in the Benjamin Cemetery close to the community they both loved. The community of Benjamin was their love and life. This excerpt, from a letter written by a son, reflects the feelings the children have for their parents: “My personal feelings in regard to Mother and Dad are ones of everlasting gratitude and appreciation. I am sure that the same feeling exists within the heart of each ofyou. To list the many things that they have done for us would be impossible but this is definite; Mother and Dad are not obligated to us for anything, in fact, we are obligated to them for everything.” The life of Walter Horsefall and Inez Stewart Ludlow was full and complete and sets an example that could and should be followed by each member of their posterity. ### This history was written by Lynn Stewart Ludlow with added comments given by Fay Ludlow Lewis, during July 1994. ### The following are the legal descriptions of the property owned by Walter H. and Sarah Inez Stewart Ludlow. All these properties were located in the Salt Lake Base and Meridian. *The 8.32 acres given to Walter and Inez by her father. This property was located in Section 29, Township 8 South Range 2 East. **The 7.26 acres of farm land east of the Benjamin store or intersection. This property was located in Section 28 Township 3 South Range 2 East. ***The 160 acre West Mountain Farm located approximately 3 miles west of their Benjamin home. This property was located in Section 23 Township 8 South Range 1 East.

Life timeline of Walter H Ludlow

Walter H Ludlow was born on 29 Aug 1883
Walter H Ludlow was 10 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
Walter H Ludlow was 22 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Walter H Ludlow was 34 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Walter H Ludlow was 37 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Walter H Ludlow was 47 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Walter H Ludlow was 58 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa. Nazi Germany is the common English name for Germany between 1933 and 1945, when Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party (NSDAP) controlled the country through a dictatorship. Under Hitler's rule, Germany was transformed into a totalitarian state that controlled nearly all aspects of life via the Gleichschaltung legal process. The official name of the state was Deutsches Reich until 1943 and Großdeutsches Reich from 1943 to 1945. Nazi Germany is also known as the Third Reich, from German Drittes Reich, meaning "Third Realm" or "Third Empire", the first two being the Holy Roman Empire and the German Empire. The Nazi regime ended after the Allied Powers defeated Germany in May 1945, ending World War II in Europe.
Walter H Ludlow died on 15 Apr 1959 at the age of 75
Grave record for Walter H Ludlow (29 Aug 1883 - 15 Apr 1959), BillionGraves Record 6674 Benjamin, Utah, Utah, United States