William Lafayette Rich

1878 - 1936

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

William Lafayette Rich

1878 - 1936
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of William Lafayette Rich (1878 - 1936) at Salt Lake City Cemetery in Salt Lake City, Utah, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of William Lafayette Rich
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

William Lafayette Rich


Salt Lake City Cemetery

200-250 N St
Salt Lake City, Utah, Salt Lake County, Utah
United States


June 20, 2012


June 5, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about WILLIAM LAFAYETTE...

We found more records about William Lafayette Rich.



William Lafayette Rich is buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Autobiography of Jesse Pomeroy Rich

Contributor: disbell2112 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Autobiography of Jesse Pomeroy Rich, written at the request of his granddaughter Merilynne Rich (daughter of Russell) My name is Jesse Pomeroy Rich, a son of William Lyman Rich and Ella Amelia Pomery. I was born in Salt Lake City while my father was attending the University of Deseret, on either the 8th or 9th of April 1883. I celebrated my birthday as the 9th day of April until I was about nine or ten years old, when my grandmother Rich told me I was born on the 8th. As near as I can tell it is a question of whether I arrived before or after midnight. When I was born Grandmother Rich said if I had been born two hours later I would have been born on Uncle Edwards birthday, which is April 9th. I asked my father which was right my mother grandmother, my mother had told me it was the ninth. My father said he thought my grandmother had the better memory of the two, so after that I celebrated 8 April as my birthday. Father had always wanted more schooling and in the fall of 1882 he decided to take the family moved down to Salt Lake City for the winter and go to school. They said my mother was very much enthused about it, and took as much interest in his schooling as he did. I have often wondered if that is the reason I always liked school and books. Father moved from Paris, Idaho, and what I was three weeks old we all moved back. It was not customary in those days to have babies and hospitals so I guess I was born in a rented house, with the midwife attending. My father at one time tried to show me where the house was, but now I have no idea, except that it was in Salt Lake City. My father was the son of Charles C. Rich and Mary and Phelps Rich, and was born in the fort in San Bernardino, California, on the ninth day of August, 1852. My grandfather Rich and Amasa M. Lyman had bought the San Bernardino Ranch supposedly consisting of 100,000 acres the previous year and were building out that place, when he was born. The company moved back to Utah in the spring of 1857, and were in Salt Lake City when word was received the Johnson’s army was coming. The next year was when the big move south occurred, and my mother was born during that move. The place I have always been told was the Provo Bottoms, somewhere near Salem, in a teepee-like shack there. On the 16th day of June 1858 during a hard rainstorm the identical twins were born, named Ella Amelia and Emma Adlia, to Francis Martin Pomeroy and Irene Ursula Haskell Pomeroy. As soon as the danger of Johnson’s army was over they moved back to Salt Lake City. Francis Martin Pomeroy came from the state of Massachusetts and Charles C. Rich came from the state of Kentucky. The first thing in my childhood that I remember was when I set our new house on fire. This was in the fall of 1886. My parents at that time had been living anywhere they could find a place to live in. Father had done considerable work on the railroad in getting out real-time and mother had gone in camp with them and cook for the men, and thought it was now prepared to build a new house, and had built one during that summer, just got moved in. There was a spare bedroom where the curtains and bed were up in the floor carpeted with straw under it. I was hunting some of the family and along in November in this particular room and set the candle down here the lace curtains. The curtain immediately caught fire. I remember I stood there looking at it and thought the sun was blazing up, until I saw that the curtain was gone, then I began to get scared and ran out and shut the door. I looked in a time or two afterwards to see what was happening, but the blaze had died down so I left and said nothing. The fire had burned a big hole in the carpet and straw and the baseboard, and had gone out itself. Then my parents began asking questions to find out who had done it, and I wondered why they kept asking me questions about it and not the other children. Finally father said, “if you will tell me the truth I won’t with you,” and I said, “well, Pa I done it.” He said, “did you do anything to try to put the fire out?” And I said, “yes I spit on it.” This house still stands in Paris. The family had just got moved in the new house and we're getting straightened around when Pres. William Budge, who was the stake president at the time, call father to be Bishop of Montpelier. At that time it was a common practice to call a man from one town to be Bishop of another. Father thought that was asking much too much of mother to ask her to move out of that new house, moving to an old house they could get in Montpelier. He talked it over with her, and she said, “well William we have been called, let’s go.” This was in the winter time and they moved out of that nie new house into an old dirt roofed[sic] house that was a terrible old thing. We boys slept up in the attic and we had to climb up on boards nailed to the wall [sic] two by fours. Since I have become a man I have often thought about that incident, and I have been lad that he accepted that call. Near that same time my mother’s brother, Ashbel Pomeroy, who married my father’s sister, Mary Ann Rich, graduated from a medical course and was looking for a location to start practicing medicine. They came back to their home in Paris, Idaho. There was some kind of a religious social, to which the ward was invited, Uncle Ashbel had been away from home a great deal since his mother died, when he was eleven years old and had not kept up his connection with the church, and had been in the East studying medicine. The Stake President let it be known that he was not supposed to come to this social. He became quite offended and said he would go to another place to live, he would not live in such a **** narrowed minded community. He settled in Cheney, Washington, and practiced medicine there all his life. They were well respected in the community, and had four children, two died when they were young, the other two were married and had children, but they are all dead now, except one daughter, who is now approximately seventy-five years old. He wasn’t treated very well when he came home looking for a location, but in leaving the church he hurt himself worse than the hurt anyone else. When this last daughter dies his family will be extinct, while my father has 192 living descendants, and they are increasing all the time. I know of other cases that have turned out about the same way. I had a brother, William Layfette, and a sister, Qula Cole, other than I, the next one I the family younger than I, was my sister Mable, who married Dr. Richard J. Sutton. They are both dead now, but left 9 living children. Their second son is now practicing medicine in Gurley, Idaho. Father was bishop of Montpelier for about six years, and was then called into the Stake Presidency, to be second counselor to President Budege, which caused him to move back to Paris. While in Montpelier, my two younger sisters were born, Gertrude, who married Fred J. Price, and Hazel, who married F. Leslie Shepherd. At that time Polygamy was being practiced in the church, and the word went out that all Bishops were expected to take another wife, so my father married his cousin, Almira Holmes. Her children are Iris, who married Hahonri (Honnie) Collings, and Lyman Holmes Rich, who just recently retired as State Extension Dairyman at the Utah State University, but his mother died when he was born. When my father was released as Bishop of Montpelier, and made Counselor of the Stake President we moved back to Paris as that was the stake headquarters of Bear Lake Stake, and he was in the Stake Presidency of that Stake for something like thirty years. When Charles C. Rich was called to settle Bear Lake Stake, y Grandfather, Francis Martin Pomeroy, went with him; but he was bothered with rheumatism, and in 1877 he and his family moved to Mesa, Arizona. That was when my father and mother got married; my mother’s twin sister had married Hyrum Grimmet two years earlier. When father moved to Montpelier, just after Christmas 1886 he sold the house he had just build, so when we moved back in June, 1893 we moved into a house them owned by Edwin Woolley on Canyon Road, where Woodruff Stucki now lives. Father later bought the house and owned it when he died. He built onto it and made it his home until he moved in to the Hyrum Woolley place, right across the road from the Paris First Ward meeting house in 192? Which place I just recently acquired. (May 1967—it was later bought by Iris Cullings and torn down). Mother wanted to visit her folks in Arizona, so in the fall of 1893 she and her twin sister, Emma Grimmett, took [sic], Hazel, Frank and Fracelle Grimmet there for the winter. When she went, Father’s second wife, Aunt Mira, as we called her, came to our place and took care of us kids and the management of the house. We got along very well, and my Mother was enjoying herself in Mesa, until the latter part of January, 1894 when she had a paraletic stroke. That was a terrible blow to all of us. Father immediately went down and when she was well enough brought her home the last of March. Aunt Mira went back to the house she had been living in before she left it, which was about two blocks East of where we lived, on the same street. Mother was able to walk around some when she came home, but had little use of one side of her body. Father got a woman to come in and do the housework so we got along pretty well. The following May 12, 1894, a baby boy was born to Aunt Mira, he lived but she died. The baby was brought to our house and father hired a practical nurse to take care of him. He was named Lyman Holmes Rich and was one of the fattest, cutest babies anyone would wish to see. He grew to manhood, joined the army in the first world war, and just recently retired as extension dairyman at the Utah State University. My mother got along pretty well but got pregnant and in the following March, had a baby boy and she and the baby both died and were buried in the same coffin. Hannah Jepson then took over as housekeeper, and worked for us for a number of years. I was then not quite twelve years old. I attended the district schools in Paris, and in particular I remember two teachers, John J. Miles and Oliver Dunford. Miles was an old Englishman and use the strap considerable. I remember one day I was trying to get some ink out of an ink bottle and shook it pretty hard, when he called me up he asked me how long it had been since I had had a whipping. I told him I didn’t remember but it was quite a long time. He said, “You are hid bound, your hide needs loosening up. Hold out your hand.” I did and he hit it a few times and sent me back to my seat. He had the knowledge all right and taught us something. When I went home and told about the above incident I learned afterwards that Father said he thought it wss none of his business how long it had been since I had had a whipping, but he never said a word of it to me. Oliver Dunford came later. He used to live in Bloomington and rode a horse over to Paris to teach school. He was quite an inspirational teacher. I remember he came up to me and tapped me on the head one day and said, “who says he will not be a William Jennings Bryan.” That was when Bryan was the great orator of the country. I am just wondering that was one of the things that led me into the field of law. They had a church school in Paris part of the time and when they did Father always saw that attended. I remember one teacher I had in the church school was W. W. Billings. He lived quite close to us and had a brown and gray horse. IN the winter he drove them on a cutter, and how he did love to race them. They were just a couple of plugs, but when they got hooked onto that cutter, they sure could run. As I remember he was never beaten. He was a pretty good teacher, too. I now have a very vivid recollection of what he told us about the destruction of Jerusalem by General Titus in 70 A.D. The L.D.S. Church about this time conceived the idea of a new building for a school to be conducted at Paris. The site they chose was on the hill just west of the town of Paris at the west end of Center street. IT was a beautiful spot from which you could view the whole valley, but it was quite a climb to get up to it. The Stake Presidency then consisted of William Budge, James H. Hart and my father. However William Budge was made President of the Logan Temple about this time and Joseph R. Shepherd, his son-in-low, succeeded him as Stake President, which Father as first counselor. The building was finished and they started teaching school in it. As I remember in the fall of 1902 with Richard T. Haag as the first principal. After my mother died my father married Emily Matthews, the daughter of Samuel Matthews from Liberty, just west of Ovid, Idaho. This was on July 1, 1896. She was a very good woman, but it is a very thing for a woman to come in and be step-mother to a family of eight children. After that we had a pretty rough time of it at home at times. Father went on a mission for the L.D.S. Church in August 1898 and labored in the state of New York for about two years, during which time my brother Will was on t a mission in the Southern States. Leslie Cole took charge of the ranch and fed the cattle while Father was gone, and he did a good job of it. In the Fall of 1901 my cousin Abel S. Rich and I came to Logan and attended the Brigham Young College. We boarded with a Mrs. Shelton, whose husband had just died of Smallpox. She lived on First West right across from the school. The next winter he and I, my sister Zula and Eliza Jenson from St. Charles rented three rooms in a little house just west of Main Street on Third North in Logan and kept house. We three went to the Brigham Young College while Miss Jenson taught school. The following year we two boys rented a room from a Mrs. Hurst, South of Center Street and East of Main Street, and we did our own cooking. We got along on $15.00 per month. When school at Logan was just in the thinking stage I remember I told Father that I would like to talk to Uncle Ezra about which school to attend in Logan and he said I think I can decide that for you, it will be the Brigham Young College. My brother Will had attended the Agricultural College and Father didn’t like some of the ideas he had gotten on religion, so he decided that I was not going there. When I registered I decided to take German. I had always wanted to go to Rome, and I thought that if I studied German they might send me to Germany on a mission, and I might get to go to Rome. We got along pretty well that year and the next year we attended the Fielding Academy at Paris. A number of other boys had attended school in Logan in 1901-02 and they also went to the Fielding academy at Paris on the hill the following year, so that made a second year class. It was the first year they had conducted school in that building. The next year they did not have a third year course at the Fielding Academy so Abel S. and I came back to Logan to school. That was my last year in school, and I think it was the best time I ever had in my life. I got to taking out a friend named Ida Stock and Abel S. took Edith Hendricks from Richmond, and we really had a good time. On an examination Abel S. and I nearly always got about the same mark, so for the time we spent in Logan our marks were within a fraction of one per cent of each other, but for the year at the Fielding Academy I had a little better marks than he did. At the end of the four years at school I was up for valedictorian, but Edith Hendricks got it. I never hears just how our grades compared, but Herschel Bullen was Secretary of the school and he had married her sister. I don’t know what effect that had, but she got it and I took second place. She was a very fine girl and had a great admiration for me, but somehow I never got started going with her. If I had I think I might have married her. She was keeping company with Abel S. when he started teaching at the Fielding Academy, but Alice Redd was a teacher there and she got him. We graduated in the spring of 1905, and that summer I received a call to the Swiss German mission. I don’t remember when I was ordained a Deacon or a Teacher, but I do remember that at one time I was president of the Deacons Quorum with Abel S. Rich and Daniel C. Rich as my counselors. I was ordained an Elder by James H. Hart, and got my endowments at the Logan Temple on November 10, 1905, and right after Christmas left Paris for a mission. I left ahead of the company I was to go with, because my brother Will was studying Medicine at St. Louis and I wanted to visit him and go to Washington, D.C., which I did, and met the rest of the company at New York. We crossed the ocean without incident, and went through London and Paris without seeing much, then landed at Zurich, Switzerland, the headquarters of the mission. Serge F. Ballif was mission president and I was sent to the Leipzig conference, as it was then called. Edwin Spencer was conference president, and after staying in Leipzig for a few days I was sent to the city of Bernberg of the Saale. This was a city of about 30,000 inhabitants, and a Mormon Elder had never labored there. Wilford Boren was at Choeton, a place about the same size, about ten miles away, so he went over with me and helped me get settled in a room and left me. The German I had studied came in pretty handy. I immediately started tracting, and rather upset things when I put out more tracts than anyone else in the conference. At that time they did not take a course in the Mission home in Salk Lake City, and all the instructions I got I received from Golden Kimball so set me apart. I told him I did not at that time have a testimony of the gospel, and he said to go ahead, that I would get one. When I was tracting in Bernberg a man asked me if I knew there was a God. Up to that time I had never said that I did, and I didn’t tell him that I did, but I went to my room and put my problem up to the Lord. I told him that I either had to know or I was going home. Very shortly after I was sitting at my desk studying, when I began to burn all over, and something said to me just as plainly as if a person had spoken; you don’t need to worry there is a God who will take care of you. Ever since that time I have never worried. I have always said I claim to know only two things; That I am alive and that there is a god. I felt I knew one about as well as the other, and I never hesitated to say so after that. I contacted a lot of people there in Barnberg. I found the Schlote family, who later joined the Church, and the three boys came to America, the youngest Erich, is now living in Ogden, while Ernest and Guido, were at Dallas, Texas the last time I heard from them. The two girls are still in Germany. They wanted to marry Mormon Elders, but it never happened that way, but I think they are still faithful members of the church. I stayed there until the following June, when president Heber J. Grant came to Zurich, and a general conference of all of the Elders was called at that place. I knew this was coming so I had been saving my money and was prepared to go. I went and after the conference twelve of us took a trip through Switzerland and Italy, south as far as Rome and Naples back over Venice and down the Rhine, over Frankfort, Worms, Gotha, Eisenbach, and back to Leipzig. After that I was assigned to work in the City of Zrfurt, a city of about 100,000 inhabitants, where a branch of the church had been established. Wildford Boren was my companion and later is was Clyde Lindsay, from Ogden, Utah. I was tracting one day when a man seemed suddenly interested and asked me if I had anything to sell, and I offered him a little pamphlet for about three cents. Then he told me he was a policeman and took me down to police headquarters for selling books without a license. They put me in jail over night and the next morning released me and told me to get out of town, which I did, going back to Leipzig. When I got there I found a letter saying that Edwin spencer had been released and I had been appointed conference president in his place. As I remember this was in September 1906. I worked out of Leipzig after that time with Gotha on one end of the conference and Bernberg on the other end. A branch of the church was organized at Bernberg. The next summer I with three other elders, Abe Cooley, Lysle Smith, and Ivan Dahlquist, took a trip up through Russia, Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark and back over Northern Germany to Leipzig. It was a wonderful trip and we saw a lot of country. When we got back to Leipzig there was a notice there that I had been convicted of holding a meeting without registering it and was fined thirty marks, which was about $7.50, or given the chance to serve three days in jail. On Saturday I went down to the police station and told them I would like until the next Monday to decide which I would do. I wanted to go to meeting there Sunday. My request was granted so I went back the following Monday and told them I would serve the time. I wanted that experience, and have never been sorry that I served the time. After I got out of jail they banished my from Saxony, so I had to leave Leipzig, and went to Gera and made that my headquarters. T here was a sister Berner, a member of the church, from whom I got a room and stayed there. She surely treated me fine. The following summer, Clyde Lindsay, who was then in charge of the Berlin Conference, wanted to take a trip so they transferred me to Berlin to take charge of that conference while he was gone. When he came back, an Elder named Burdette P. Bull, whose name was changed to Burdette P. Burdette, came from Salt Lake, drowned while swimming in the North Sea, and I was released to come home with the body. This was about the first of August, 1908. I had planned a trip to Austria, back over Paris and London, but inside of two weeks I landed in Salt Lake City and then Paris, Idaho. It was some change after where I had been to come back to Paris, but I was tired of travelling and ready to settle down to another kind of work. I helped Rather on the ranch and got married to Louise Rogers on the 8th of October, 1908 in the Salt Lake temple. I had been engaged to teach the Winter course in the Fielding Academy. We lived in the house of Aunt Harriet Rich, and the next July Lothaire was born. That was the last year they had the Winter course so I wrote life insurance the next year. For some reason, I can’t now quite figure out why I wanted to study law. They had the quarter system at the University of Chicago, and I figured out that I could go through law in two and a quarter years and be elected County Attorney of Bear Lake County in the fall of 1912. I submitted my credits to that school and they replied that I did not have enough and said not to come. I put the letter in my pocket and went back anyway. It took me three days to get in but they finally registered me and I went to work. I went back with Ernest Brinhall, who had been principal of the Fielding Academy He got in an argument with the board, so to bring them to time he resigned, and much to his disappointment and surprise it was accepted, so he was out of a job and decided to go to summer school at the University of Chicago. At the end fo the first year they kicked one third of the first year class out of law school but I managed to survive, and go through school in the two and a quarter years and was nominated County Attorney of Bear Lake County while I was still there, but it was a terrible grind. I nearly worked myself to death, which it took me years to get over. On January 5, 1912 Russell and Rhea were born. The following June, Louise and the three babies came home and I stayed until September, when I graduated, and came home. I was elected that fall as County Attorney by a small margin, but I was too vigorous as a prosecutor, and a poor politician, so I was defeated at the next election, and moved to Preston, Idaho. I formed a law partnership with Arthur W. Hart in January, 1915. By this time there were four children in the family, as Nada was born at Paris in September 1913. We lived at Preston for six years when there appeared to be an opening at Logan so moved there. By this time we had three more children in the family. Elna and Elda were born in July, 1917 and Sterling was born February 4, 1919. I came to Logan in January, 1921 and the family came down the following June and moved into the house where we are now living, at 335 West 2nd North. I had a deal to buy it from George D. Casto. It wasn’t much of a place but it was the best we could get at the time. Louise has been quite insistent about fixing it up, so it isn’t quite so bad now. Louise always wanted a new house, but I had about all I could do to keep food on the table and clothes for the family so we never got one. The situation looked good in Logan, as four attorneys had just gone out of the general practice of law. A.E. Bowen had moved to Salk Lake City, his former partner, Ray D. Thatcher had been retained by the First Security Bank system, so he took no private business except some probate. Albert A. Law had just been elected District Judge and George Gardner, who was just getting started here, was instantly killed by electricity. However the business was largely controlled by the banks and they each had their own attorneys so we, who weren’t in the banks, had pretty tough picking. However I managed to survive. Albert Law died before too long and Melvin C. Harris was appointed in his place. He was County Attorney and I was about the only one available to take his place so was appointed to that position, and elected to the following term. But I made too many enemies. If I had ever learned to play up to money I might have got somewhere; but that was one lesson I never seemed to be able to learn, so was defeated in the convention for the next term. I developed a very bad case of Rheumatism in the Fall of 1926 and was very bad that winter. In March Father took me to Arizona where I took sunbaths which helped a lot. I don’t know what would have happened to me if he hadn’t done that as I was so bad that I couldn’t get out of bed alone, nor dress myself. Uncle Ezra helped me a great deal, too, but the trip to Arizona turned the tide. Father paid my expenses. The family, with what money I could scrape up, managed to get along, but they had a pretty tough time. The next year Father got me a job teaching Seminary for the L.D.S. Church at Hurricane, Utah. That brought me up to 1928 when there was an opening for City Judge at Logan. With the help of man of my good friends here I was nominated and elected to that position and with the exception of about four years have held it ever since. I still have some rheumatism but I managed to get around, and gradually wore it out. I got along better as Judge than I did as an attorney. My trouble as an attorney was that I just could not collect fees, and I find that it is very important in the law business. I have never been a money maker, for which my family has had to suffer. In June, 1928 Father died and I took over the probate of his estate. That fall we sold $10,000.00 worth of cattle, but it took all of the money to run thte place, and the next year we sold all of the cattle. Cattle prices were up and took in over $24,000.00 and divided up the estate as well as we could. We sold the bank in Paris and took in over $8,000.00 from that source for the estate. We couldn’t sell the real estate so the family took it over. Clarency, Lyle, Naomi and Lois took over the Church Ranch and Aunt Emm the home. Zula got Grandmother’s old home, Iris got the home she was living in, that is the part that hadn’t been paid for, and some land and the rest of us took over the ranch east of Paris and what was left of the real estate. Through the years this has gradually worked out pretty well. Clarence worked the Church Ranch and I bought, in time, the other ranch from the rest of the family. Rolla, Aunt Emm’s second son, had been on a mission and when we sold the cattle had some of his own in the herd and bought himself a car. He was attending US.A.C. at Logan. One morning when he went to school he wasn’t feeling well. The teacher suggested that he go back to his room. He started driving the car down the hill and fainted. It ran into a cement wall and broke his neck which killed him instantly. His mother took over what was left of his share of the estate. This happened May 29, 1930. He had been taking his final exams. The depression came on and in 1932 Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected president of the United Stated on the Democratic ticket. This defeated most Republicans who were running for office. At that time the City Judge had to run on a political ticket for office. I have always been a Republican, but managed to survive that election; but four years later the Democrats carried the election by four to one. E.M. Wright, who had been elected Probate Judge on the Republican ticket seven times in Burley, Idaho had been defeated and moved to Logan, and ran on the Democratic ticket for City Judge. I couldn’t overcome a majority of four to one so was defeated in 1936. Before Wright served out his term he took a stroke, but was re-elected in 1940. However he died shortly after the beginning of the next year, and I was appointed to the office. We then got busy and had the election of City Judge changed to the City election, where it wasn’t in Politics. This threw the next election of City Judge in the City Election of 1945. In that election most of the political organizations were against me, but the people with me, so I won it, and have them all since. I had no opposition in 1957 and got it without a contest. I didn’t intend to run again. After moving to Logan we had two more children. LaRelle was born August 24, 1924 and Yvonne July 19, 1931. Rhea was the first one to get married, having married John Vernon Garr October 24, 1931. Lothaire married Ruth Nielsen, May 11, 1932 in the Logan temple. I had told Lothaire and Russell that the first one who could get $300.00 saved up I would send on a mission. Russell made it so he was sent on a mission for the LDS Church to Germany in 1931, after he had finished one year in school at the Utah State Agricultural College. While serving on his mission he toured Europe and covered some of the same ground that I did. He came back and put in three more years at the same school and graduated. He married Margaret Cardon June 3, 1936 in the Salt Lake Temple. He then went into the Church School system teaching seminary, and has been in that line ever since. He wanted to study Dentistry, but I guess I talked him out of it. I thought then and am still of the same opinion that he would be a better school teacher than a dentist, but I told him that if he was going into the school teaching business to get his doctors degree as soon as he could so he could go to the top. He accordingly did it and is now teaching at the Brigham Young University at Provo, Utah. The Latter-day Saints Church had established about thirsty two schools in different parts of the country, when they decided that the general public should pay for the ordinary schooling of its people from the taxes, and thence go the places where the schools were established to take them over and the Church confined its teaching to religion. They established what the called a seminary near the school where religion only was taught. In this way they reached many more students, with less money, than they did through the Church School system. As I remember the Brigham Young College here at Logan was taken over by the City School system about 1926, and a Seminary was established at that school in the place where the school first started. To my mind this is a much better way to teach religion than the way it was taught in the Church School System. Lothaire had considerable talent as a singer, but Walter Welti, who was teaching music at the school here at Logan thought he was not good enough to go to the top so did not encourage him too much in that line. After he graduated from college he did teach school for a while, but quit and went to work in a store at Preston, Idaho. Then he got a job back in Washington, D.C. where he went and studied law in the evening. His two girls were born at this time. After they had been there for a while he and Ruth both worked. TI was pretty tough to get along at first, but Lothaire finally graduated with a degree in law, and when he and Ruth were both working they did pretty well but they wanted to come back out West again, so I helped him to get a job in the war work out here and he came out. He has not got pretty well established. We were both sorry that he did not get to go on a a mission , but I just felt that I never had enough money to send him. Nada went to the U.S.A.C. for two years, and intended to teach school but started working at the telephone office. She had been keeping company with Everett Throp for five or six years and was always quite popular with the boys, but when Barnard P. Brockbank came along she fell for him and they were married on November 1, 1905 [authors note: this date must be wrong] at Washington, D.C. where he was attending school. However the did not stay there too long after that time, but came West and he, after a hard struggle, got established in the real estate business and has done well. Elda was the next one to get married. After graduating from High School she went to the L.D.S. Business College and completed a secretarial course, and worked at that job until she married LeGrand Joseph Bair on June 6, 1940. They tried farming, but were not very successful at it, so he started working as a carpenter. He is now doing well at that business in Salt Lake City. He has been working for Barnred Brockbank since he has been down there. Elna has always liked children and nursing, so she graduated as a nurse at the Dee Hospital in Ogden, in She joined the army and was in Europe during the second world way. She traveled around the country considerably and among other things went to Anchorage, Alaska. There she met and married Henry S. LaFreniert, June 7, 1948. He was a Cholic and a pilot in the U.S. Air Force. After having one child they were divorced. Sterling got through high school and started college, but did not do too well. He went to California and worked in an aircraft plant, and worked there after the second world war started; but later joined the Army and went to Japan where he was at the close of the war. He married Hazel Beth Pocck, February 19, 1943 and is now living in Salk Lake City. LaRelle was called on a mission and was prepared to go, but had been keeping company with Jack J. Saunders, and went down and talked to the General Authorities of the church about ti, and they told her to get married and not go on a mission, which she did on the 6th of June, 1946. Jack later joined the Army just before the Korean war broke out and was called to active duty in Korea. He was taken captive and she never heard anything from him or about him until the close fo the war, when she heard that he just starved to death in a prison camp. He was always a fussy eater, and could not ear the rough food they served I suppose. Sometime after the close of the war one of Jack’s friends named Robert Always came to see LaRelle, and they later got married January 8, 1955. She has worked as a stenographer most of the time since she got married. Robert had considerable work to do in school, before he completed work for a degree, but with her encouragement, he finally did it, and is now in the Juvenile Court work in San Mateo, California. Yvonne was the last one to get married. She married Donald Ramsey Quayle, June 8, 1950. He was going to school at the time, and still is. After going through the U.S.A.C. and doing the work for his Masters Degree he tried running his fathers farm, but decided that was not for him, so got out and went back to Columbus, Ohio, to school, where he is still working on his Doctor’s degree. He has had four children and has to make his own way, so it was been pretty tough for him. He has held a full time job almost ever since he went back there. We haven’t heard much from him lately so don’t know just how he is doing. We now have 9 children, 41 grandchildren and 12 great grand children. So much for the family. When I decided to study law, Father was quite concerned over my losing interest in religion and the Church, but I resolved to do two things, to pay my tithing and keep the Word of Wisdom, as taught by the L.D.S. Church. Up to this time I have done that pretty well, and am still active in the church I have often thought though, that I would have done better at some other line of work, either in business or as an engineer. When I went on a mission I was made conference president after I had been in the field about seven months, when I came home I was put in Stake Superintendent of Mutuals of Bear Lake Stake, and made President of the Elder’s Quorum. When we moved to Preston I was made Stake Secretary of Mutuals, after I had been there a short time, later I was made Stake Clerk and held that position until we moved to Logan. During the first World War I was put in as Chairman of the Franklin County Council of Defense a war organization. After moving to Logan, and being there two or three years I was made Superintendent of Logan Third Ward Sunday School and held that position until I went to Arizona on account of sickness. When they re-organized the Bishopric in the Logan Third Ward I had rheumatism so bad that I could hardly get around, so was left out of that, but after I got better I was put in the Stake High Council and held that position for [sic] years, and was released when I left the Stake on account of my health. When the Sons of Utah Pioneers was organized here I was made the head of that organization and later National Vice-President, then President, then later President for one year of the Temple Fork Cap of the Sons of Utah Pioneers. We change every year in that organization. I have never been asked to be counselor in any church organization. I have either been put in as secretary or at the head. From this record it looks like I might have some ability as a leader. If I had gotten started working from some big company I might have gotten some place, who knows. I have taught a class in some Church organization most of my life. I seem to be a natural teacher, and like it, but the reason I didn’t follow that profession I think, was because I had noticed that a teacher generally stayed with that work until he wasn’t any good for anything else then he got let out of that position, broke and no way to make a living, whereas a person can stay with the law business as long as he can deliver the goods. My wife has always been a good housekeeper and very conservative. She always took good care of me when I was sick, and had taken good care of the children, and has many very fine qualities. Our worst drawback has been that we haven’t been able to work together very well.

Life timeline of William Lafayette Rich

William Lafayette Rich was born in 1878
William Lafayette Rich was 10 years old when The Great Blizzard of 1888 struck the northeastern United States, producing snowdrifts in excess of 50 ft (15 m) and confining some people to their houses for up to a week. The Great Blizzard of 1888 or Great Blizzard of '88 was one of the most severe recorded blizzards in the history of the United States of America. The storm, referred to as the Great White Hurricane, paralyzed the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine, as well as the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Snowfalls of 10 to 58 inches fell in parts of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, and sustained winds of more than 45 miles per hour (72 km/h) produced snowdrifts in excess of 50 feet (15 m). Railroads were shut down, and people were confined to their houses for up to a week. Railway and telegraph lines were disabled, and this provided the impetus to move these pieces of infrastructure underground. Emergency services were also affected.
William Lafayette Rich was 20 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
William Lafayette Rich was 30 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
William Lafayette Rich was 39 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
William Lafayette Rich was 42 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
William Lafayette Rich died in 1936 at the age of 58
Grave record for William Lafayette Rich (1878 - 1936), BillionGraves Record 1509414 Salt Lake City, Utah, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States