Vivian Twitchell Reid

24 Feb 1919 - 15 Feb 1980


Vivian Twitchell Reid

24 Feb 1919 - 15 Feb 1980
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Vivian Twitchell Reid (24 Feb 1919 - 15 Feb 1980) at Provo City Cemetery in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Vivian Twitchell Reid
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Vivian Twitchell Reid


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


Father, Mother


June 4, 2011


June 2, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Vivian Twitchell...

We found more records about Vivian Twitchell Reid.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Vivian Twitchell


Vivian Twitchell Reid is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Life Sketch for Ethel Tyler Twitchell Campbell

Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

My grandmother, Ethel Tyler, died two months before my 9th birthday. Grandma lived in Provo while I was growing up in Southern Utah; consequently, our shared time and experiences were few and far between. In spite of that I have fond memories of her. Also, dad had a wonderful relationship with his mother and over the years he helped me come to know her and the road she traveled. My attempt here is to tell her story and share my memories of her as best I can. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I knew my grandmother as Grandma Campbell. She was born in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas, 12 October 1898 and grew up there until age 16. Although I know very little of her growing up years, I've learned that she had some pretty tough challenges. Sadly, her later years closely resembled the early ones, making for a generally sad life which resulted in a difficult and relatively short mortal existence. In the 1900 US Census Grandma is found with her father, Alexander Breckenridge Tyler and mother, Emma Louise Jennings. They were living with Emma’s parents, William and Martha Jennings together with Emma’s sister and three brothers. I've been unable to determine why the Tyler family was living with the Jennings family. One can only assume that Alexander and Emma had as yet been unable to establish a home of their own. Thus – the first chapter of Ethel’s life seems to have been of meager means and circumstances. Having limited detail, I have pieced together a series of events that Ethel Tyler experienced before she was a teenager. Following 5 June when the 1900 Census was taken, while laboring as a railroad worker, Alexander was crushed between rail cars - taken by horse and buggy toward St Louis for treatment but died en-rout, 8 September 1900. Emma must have been about four months pregnant at the time giving birth to twin girls, Catherine and Ellen, 19 February 1901. So here we have a young mother, less than six months a widow, living with her parents and finding herself with a barely two year-old child {Grandma Ethel} and twin babies. Then the unthinkable happened – Emma died {presumably from complications of child birth} 1 March 1901. At the same time or shortly thereafter, Catherine, one of the new-born twins, also passed away. Thus Grandma and her infant sister Ellen were suddenly orphaned without ever really knowing their father and mother. Thankfully family members stepped up and evidently provided necessary care. Clues about the next phase of Grandma’s life are found in the 1910 US Census. Here we find Ethel and her sister Ellen in the household of Rufus Black and Mary Ann Tyler. As it turns out Rufus is Grandma’s uncle – her father Alexander’s older brother. April 30th 1910, the day the census was taken, we find Rufus, his wife and six children of their own, caring for nieces Ethel and Ellen. Subsequent to recording this story, Ellen's son, Joseph Hughes, filled in some gaps. He references a narrative written by his mother I'm inserting here: "In my mothers story, she says that Emma Jennings Tyler's mother, Martha Ellen Brown Jennings, also died within a short time after Emma's death leaving William Jennings with a congregation of babies and children, so he appealed to the Rufus Tyler family to take the children. From all I’ve been able to learn, Rufus and Mary Ann were the kindest and warmest of people and raised Grandma and her sister as though their own children." Evidence of this fact is that Rufus and Mary Ann were converted and baptized in the LDS faith 29 May 1902. All twelve of their own children as well as nieces Ethel and Ellen were subsequently and regularly baptized near or sometime after their 8th birthday. This period of Grandma’s life seems to have given her the foundation, stability and structure she otherwise lacked when her parents were taken at such a tender age. Another excerpt from Joseph Hughes: "Railroad insurance money became a bit of contention between the Jennings and Rufus Tyler families, so my mother states that she was told not to have anything to do with the Jennings, so she knew little about them. Because of the numerous children in Rufus and Mary Anne's family, Ellen and Ethel were 'farmed out' to Mary Anne's Parents and another lady that cared for orphans until they were teens, then lived with the Tyler family in Pocahantus (sp), near Walnut Ridge. My mother also commented that her Uncle Rufus just bundled her up and sent her on a train to live with her sister without her consent or desire." At a recent Tyler family reunion I learned a little about this phase of grandma's life. Seems that shortly after her mother passed away, Rufus and Mary Ann ended up with four children - two daughters of their own plus grandma and her infant sister - all less than four years old. A family story was told to me by a granddaughter of one of those four: On several occasions while caring for four babies Mary Ann would throw her hands in the air, sit down in the middle of the floor and cry out "...I can't do this anymore!!" Right about that time, the sewing machine had been invented and became available for home use. To help alleviate his wife's suffering, Rufus sold his prize horse, took the money and purchased a sewing machine to ease Mary Ann's burden. From that time forward all the children had fine, homemade clothing and Mary Ann became an expert seamstress. What a blessing this couple was to my grandmother, her sister and the generations that follow. How Grandma Tyler and Grandpa Twitchell became acquainted is a mystery to me and no one has been found to fill in the blanks. From here on, my story is developed from recorded dates and events plus a few vague memories and comments from family members. In the end I’m left with deductive reasoning and some down-right guess work! Here’s what I know: Grandpa Twitchell served an LDS mission to Arkansas beginning in 1913 at age twenty five. Grandma was nine years old when she was baptized in 1907. I imagine they met and associated at church functions sometime during the years 1913 – 1915. Grandpa returned home to Utah in late 1915; Grandma followed him shortly thereafter. They were subsequently married 8 May 1916, he age twenty eight – she six months following her seventeenth birthday. I know nothing of the why’s and what-for’s of romance, courtship or dating. What I have learned, mostly from my father and mother, is that there wasn’t much of romance, intimacy or affection in their relationship, before or after marriage. A couple of stories will suffice: My mom, Mae Twitchell, had a good relationship with her mother-in-law. Over the years mom told me numerous times of the occasion when Grandma arrived in Utah and Grandpa met her {at the train station as I recall}. As mom tells it, the first thing Grandpa said to Grandma was “…not sure why you came, but you can stay if you want or go back where you came from – makes no difference to me one way or the other.” Obviously she stayed, but apparently not because of any warm and affectionate welcome she received! Dad, Vaughn Twitchell, told similar stories – some he witnessed – others related to him by his mother. Seems Grandpa Loren was not an affectionate person. Freight hauling was one of his occupations; as such he was away much of the time. Upon returning home from a trip of several days, and sometimes weeks, Grandma would hurry to greet him, excited to see her husband after a prolonged absence. Seemingly on nearly every occasion, Grandpa would brush Grandma aside without so much as a hug or kiss or even a kind word of greeting. Hard as it is for a grandson to imagine, in my grandparents’ sixteen or so years of marriage Grandma received little or no affection or loving kindness from Grandpa. Not to excuse Grandpa Loren, but I have learned over the years that this insensitive, non-affectionate characteristic is a Twitchell trait – most prominent in Twitchell men. I’ve been accused of carrying the same malady from time to time. Needless to say, Grandpa’s cold and distant attitude caused Grandma much unhappiness. Grandma gave birth to five children in their marriage. Sometime after delivering the fifth, my uncle Bernell in 1927, apparently Grandpa was unfaithful to Grandma. Once again, left to my own imaginings, I can only wonder at the devastation Grandma must have felt. The end result was divorce – sometime after April, 1930 and before August, 1933. For whatever reason, Grandpa retained custody of the children leaving Grandma – the girl from Arkansas who had given up everything for marriage and family – homeless and without a family. The 1910 Census for Sugar City, Fremont, Idaho records a Benjamin Campbell family including a third child, newborn Claud Leon. Then the 1920 Census finds the Benjamin Campbell family in Cannonville, Utah with ten year old Claud Leon – and again in the 1930 Census we see Claud Leon, twenty years old and single. Here again I’m imagining and guessing. I do know that Cannonville, Utah is a small town; population in 1930 somewhere between two and three hundred people – at most. Everyone knows everyone, is related to most everyone and pretty much knows everyone’s business. Grandma Ethel, recently divorced and without home or family, was not without friends. She knew Leon Campbell; and although eleven years his senior, having been married for 16 years prior and given birth to five children – she fell in love – check that – they fell in love and married 15 August 1933. By 1941 Grandma had delivered three children, all boys, to this second marriage. For at least eight or nine years – from 1933 to 1942 – Grandma lived and raised another family not far {no place in Cannonville is very far from any other place in Cannonville!} from where she had lived and raised her first family for sixteen years; and that family was still living there! If you’ve ever lived in a small town you must know how difficult – even uncomfortable – such a situation might be. Having said that, this is not a unique story – certainly such things have happened before and after. But this one hits poignantly close to home! Again I find myself wondering at the emotions and feelings experienced by my Grandma during those years. Now we are coming close to my memory of things. We’re also at a point where my Dad’s memories of his mother are pretty good – and he shared some of those with me. Did I mention that Dad and Grandma had a very close bond? Dad made it clear that he was his mother’s favorite – and that is how I remember it also. She even had a special nickname for him - “Botchie” – no idea where it came from or what it meant; but Dad spoke of it affectionately and took pride in being someone special to his mother. While the two families lived apart in Cannonville, Dad spent a lot of time at his mom’s house. He even served as a baby sitter for his young half-brothers from time to time and remained close with the Campbell boys over the years. I’ve come to believe that Grandma did all she could to develop and maintain those family ties particularly between Dad, Leon and the three boys. Due to her efforts, my mother, my brothers and sisters and I have maintained that same close relationship with the Campbell family. Interestingly, and I don’t know why, I only knew Leon as “Uncle Leon” never as grandpa; but my memories of him are good ones. Sometime after 1941 and before I was born in 1944, Grandma and her second family moved to Provo, Utah and lived in the southwest part of town. Their home was near the main line railroad tracks. Anytime we visited I remember hearing the trains pass by. Dad was driving a semi-truck for Paul Steed at the time, hauling lumber from the saw mill in Escalante to North Salt Lake. He stopped to see his mother on a regular basis and maintained contact with her in that way. I remember visiting and staying with Grandma many times in my childhood and those memories are all of a kind, gentle woman and the aroma, and flavor, of fresh-out-of-the-oven raisin-filled cookies. My last memory of Grandma is also the most vivid and poignant. 1951 marked the end of the polio epidemic in the United States. The Salk vaccine was introduced and distributed throughout America beginning in 1952 followed eight years later by the Sabin oral vaccine. By 1979 polio had largely been eradicated in the United States. As luck would have it though, my brother, {less than two years old at the time} and I contracted the polio virus in the summer of 1951. To aid in our recovery, Dad and Mom were advised to seek a warm moist climate. Dad received a call to go to Florida and assist in developing a large Church-owned cattle ranch. Forsaking all else, we pulled up our Cannonville roots and moved what seemed at the time a world away from family and friends. I only became aware in later years that Grandma’s health had begun failing at the same time we were stricken with polio. The fact that her favored child, my Dad, was forced to leave her must have been torturous for both of them. I have no idea if that experience added to her declining health – but it certainly didn’t help. We remained in Florida for just over one year when Dad became ill from his work clearing swampland. The decision was made to return to Utah. Having no home to come back to, we settled in Springville for a time in the fall of 1952 – presumably because we would be near Grandma. In all the commotion of 1951 and 1952 I had turned eight years old and had not yet been baptized. At my Grandma’s insistence arrangements were made for me to be baptized in her ward. My memory of that day is as clear as though it were last week – for several reasons. It was a frigid January day in 1953. I was coming down with a severe cold, but it was determined to go ahead with the baptism. Afterward I was taken to Grandma’s house where she put me to bed on her overstuffed sofa and proceeded to prepare a batch of her world famous raisin-filled cookies – just for me. I don’t recall ever feeling more loved and nurtured than on the day of my baptism by a wonderful, caring grandmother. We moved back to Cannonville shortly after my special day and I think that is the last time I saw my Grandma alive. She passed away six months later on 11 July 1953 three months shy of her 55th birthday. Three years ago on Memorial Day, 2012 I took a private tour of cemeteries to visit the burial sites of my ancestors. I ended my trip at the Provo cemetery where Grandma Tyler is buried. I hadn’t been there for a number of years and so had some difficulty finding her grave. After locating and photographing her headstone I pondered and studied the location. I was surprised and somewhat shocked to realize how isolated and alone Grandma is from an earthly perspective. She is buried in a plot of ground more than a hundred yards from other family members also buried in the Provo cemetery; hundreds of miles from the Cannonville cemetery where many of her first family members rest; and thousands of miles and eons of time from her birth place in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas. I confess my realization of this isolation saddened me. It highlights the difficult, sad and often lonely life she led. I’ve attempted to find some consolation in telling her story. My father, Vaughn Tyler Twitchell left this mortal existence 11 November 2014. I believe with all my heart the first person to greet him as he passed to the other side was his mother, Ethel Tyler Twitchell Campbell. What a reunion that must have been! I imagine they laughed and cried, exchanged hugs and kisses and celebrated their eternal relationship. I look forward to the day I might join them in that celebration. In the mean time I've come to a realization that both Grandma and Dad are hard at work encouraging you and me to tell their story by searching out and binding us together for eternity. If you are reading this story in Family Tree, you are part of the team!

Life timeline of Vivian Twitchell Reid

Vivian Twitchell Reid was born on 24 Feb 1919
Vivian Twitchell Reid was 11 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
See More
Vivian Twitchell Reid was 21 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
See More
Vivian Twitchell Reid was 25 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
See More
Vivian Twitchell Reid was 37 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
See More
Vivian Twitchell Reid was 50 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
See More
Vivian Twitchell Reid was 54 years old when Vietnam War: The last United States combat soldiers leave South Vietnam. The Vietnam War, also known as the Second Indochina War, and in Vietnam as the Resistance War Against America or simply the American War, was a conflict that occurred in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia from 1 November 1955 to the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975. It was the second of the Indochina Wars and was officially fought between North Vietnam and the government of South Vietnam. The North Vietnamese army was supported by the Soviet Union, China, and other communist allies; the South Vietnamese army was supported by the United States, South Korea, Australia, Thailand and other anti-communist allies. The war is considered a Cold War-era proxy war by some US perspectives. The majority of Americans believe the war was unjustified. The war would last roughly 19 years and would also form the Laotian Civil War as well as the Cambodian Civil War, which also saw all three countries become communist states in 1975.
See More
Vivian Twitchell Reid died on 15 Feb 1980 at the age of 61
Grave record for Vivian Twitchell Reid (24 Feb 1919 - 15 Feb 1980), BillionGraves Record 9400 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States