Victor LeRoy Oaks

20 Nov 1905 - 27 Jun 1984


Victor LeRoy Oaks

20 Nov 1905 - 27 Jun 1984
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Victor LeRoy Oaks was born the 20th of November 1905 in Maeser, Uintah county, Utah, the seventh son and the ninth child of William Hyrum and Janett Bethers Oaks. Seven more children were born to this couple making a total of sixteen children in the family. They all lived to maturity except two boys
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Victor LeRoy Oaks
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Victor LeRoy Oaks


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


June 4, 2011

Provo City Cemetery

January 1, 1970

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Victor LeRoy...

We found more records about Victor LeRoy Oaks.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Victor LeRoy


Victor LeRoy Oaks is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Victor LeRoy Oaks Written 1955-59

Contributor: finnsh Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Victor LeRoy Oaks was born the 20th of November 1905 in Maeser, Uintah county, Utah, the seventh son and the ninth child of William Hyrum and Janett Bethers Oaks. Seven more children were born to this couple making a total of sixteen children in the family. They all lived to maturity except two boys who died in the adolescent period of their lives. He was born and reared in a two-room log cabin in the town of Maeser, with the exception of about two years when the family homesteaded property in the Roosevelt area. His father was a farmer, trapper and produced lime and plaster for a living. With such a large family to support, all members of the family necessarily cooperated in the various enterprises. They tell many interesting stories about their trapping experiences. The Oakses were always good friends to the Indians and strangers that passed their way. They took them in and fed them many times. When Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid would rob banks they would pass through William Hyrum's farm and get fresh horses. By doing this they were able to stay ahead of the pose on their way to the Hold in the Wall hold out. They would leave a gold piece in payment. The boys of the family slept out of doors or in the log grainery, which was a short distance from the house. Roy recalls that in the winter time they would warm themselves by the kitchen stove, loosen their shoe strings, etc. And then make a run for the grainery and jump into bed before they got too cold. They woke up to find snow on their beds at times when they slept outside. They slept three in a bed and since Roy was younger, he was usually in the middle. He attended the Maeser elementary school up to and including the eighth grade, and then Uintah High School. They walked too and from school, a distance of at least a mile to the elementary, and two and one-half miles to the High School. Roy excelled in Arithmetic and spelling. he also recalls that he drew an excellent picture of a ship (the May Flower) when he was in the fourth grade. His teacher complimented him on it and told him to take it home and save it, that he would be proud to have it some day. But he felt embarrassed about it and destroyed it before reaching home. He recalls that at Christmas time they set out bowls on the table for their gifts. In them they would receive candy, nuts and then their gifts would be hid in all kinds of places around the house and they would hunt until they had found them. That was part of the fun. They couldn't hope to receive many or big gifts. If some members of the family seemed too disappointed in not receiving some gift, they might receive some additional gift on New Year's Eve. Gifts always consisted of clothing. They were all greatful for what they had and enjoyed each other a great deal. Roy had a pleasant disposition and was a leader in his group of friends. He did his share of boyish pranks and teasing the girls. He related that one time when his pockets were bulging with all sorts of things, his Dad took him by the heals and turned him up-side-down to show a neighbor lady what he had in his pockets. They had a good laugh over it but Roy found it difficult to not hold a grudge toward that lady. In those days boys wore knee dress pants. When Roy got his first pair of long pants and wore them to church, some kids made fun of him so he would not go back to church for almost two years until other boys were wearing long pants also. The family got logs from the mountain, had them sawed and built a new home on the same lot, just in front of the old home. Eunice and Iris were both born in the new home. Electricity came to the Oaks home when Roy was in the seventh grade. He recalls that as they plastered the kitchen in the new home, his older brother said they would let him help with the plastering. How proud he was and cli8mbed up to do his best on the job. But the place they had chosen for him to work was over an electric wire so that he received a severe shock. The boys got a big laugh out of that. When they first got electricity in the home, people were afraid of it. Each time an electric storm came up they would have a switch thrown so that lightening wouldn't come in and burn the house down. The control switch was in the Oaks' attic. Weston went up there had worked a long time to fix a string on it so it could be turned off and on from down stairs. Roy recalls that when he was small he and Lloyd spent most of the summers herding cows in the road. They were always without shoes all summer except to go to church. One summer day as Roy and Lloyd herded the cows, Mrs. Rudge drove by on her way home from town. She stopped and gave the boys twenty-five cents. They debated what to do with the money. They decided it surely would be fine to have some candy. They stopped the next carriage that came along the road going to town. There happened to be a man in it that they didn't know. They asked him to take their quarter to town and bring them some candy. He did and they all had a big treat that night. When he was baptized, Nettie took him in the single buggy to the tabernacle in Vernal for the baptism. A brother Hardey, a member of the High Council, performed the ceremony. When we started home after this important occasion, a boy hit me on the side of the head with a snowball with a rock inside of it. It hurt a lot and I used some profanity about the kid. Nettie threatened to take me back to have me baptized over again. When Weston, the oldest boy, finished high school the family managed to send him out to the Brigham Young University at Provo to College. He did well and when he finished there, he borrowed money and went to Philidelphia to medical school. After completing his work there, he and his wife spent a short time at Vernal with the Oaks family. The Oaks children were all quite impressed with their sister-in-law. They thought it was something when she took the broom and swept the kitchen floor to help out. She was having trouble with her shoe strings breaking. Roy and Lloyd took a nickel they had managed to save and went to the corner store and bought her some new shoe strings. The Oaks family did not own a car before their mother died. She was taken to Provo to the hospital by Joseph McKee. Later the Oakses purchased that car form the McKees. It was a great shock to the whole family when mother Oaks died. (Nettie came home from college to take over the role of mother.) Nettie, the oldest daughter, took charge of the home. Roy had never been popular with her. He had been too much of a tease. Father Oaks had never been companionable with his boys and now with added responsibility he didn't concern himself with the older children. In less than a year after his mother's death, in July 1922, Roy felt not wanted at home to such an extent that he decided to leave. Roy left home and went out to Heber City area to his Uncle Zed Bethers' place. He was there for a couple of weeks. Then he managed to find a ride to California. An older brother, Ervyn, was married and lived in California. Roy caught a ride and went there. He worked with his brother and learned the carpenter trade. However, his training in other things while there was not so good. His brother smoked heavily, and coffee was served in the home. They never went to church. Ervyn had been a soldier in World War I and when Roy lived in his home in California, he had become a heavy smoker. His wife was not LDS they never went to church. Coffee was served every AM for breakfast and Roy learned to enjoy it. After a year of this Roy decided that was not the life for him. On the 22 of March 1923 he arranged for a ride back to Vernal. He swallowed his pride and went back to high school with younger students. Then in the fall of 1927 he went to Provo, set up house keeping in one room along with another fellow and they fired a furnace to pay the rent. He joined the National Guard and got work at the barns taking care of the horses that were a part of the Guard equipment at that time. He went to work at 4:30 in the morning and again after school at night. The pay was 25 cents an hour. He continued this type of activity for three years of college. In the summers his brother, Weston, asked him to go back to help his Dad on the farm. He said if he would do this he would loan him the money to pay his tuition in school. At school Roy was a conscientious student, but very reserved and quiet. He didn't participate to any great extend in extra curricular activities because during high school he always had to hurry home to help do the chores. During college he was always busy working to sustain himself outside of school hours. At BYU in September 1928, I met my future wife and companion, Rozena Ann Nelson. We enjoyed many pleasant hours together. We were married the 8th of September 1930 in the Salt Lake Temple. We spent the first nine months of our married life finishing college at the Y. In June 1931 as we finished college, the country was in the depths of the depression. There were hundreds of people out of employment. I was not one of the few lucky ones to find a position, so we spent a year in Bear Lake, Idaho where I was employed doing farm work. Our eldest son, Hyrum LeRoy, was born there 4 October 1931. We spent the next two years in Logan where I worked at the college and picked up a few classes. In 1934 we moved back to Provo where we bought an old home and remodeled it. With Weston's help I established the Provo Clinical Laboratory which I operated. I also received my Master's Degree from BYU in 1936. Our second son, Harold Rasmus, was born 20 June 1936 and our first daughter, Annette Rozena, arrived at the Utah Valley Hospital 29 November 1940. We left Provo in April 1941 and moved to Vernal where we made our home for two years, then we bought a home in Roosevelt and I accepted a teaching position at Roosevelt High School. We also had about a thousand chickens to care for and two cows. Ferron Ross was born at Vernal 21 November 1942 and Charlene Ann arrived while we lived at Roosevelt, 1 Jun 1944. In the summer of 1944 we sold our home at Roosevelt and moved to North Ogden our present home, where I began teaching for Weber County School District. It was war time and many government instillations had been established in Weber County. Houses were most difficult to find. We were blessed to locate a very old, rock constructed home with two and one-half acres of ground surrounding it. It remodeled beautifully and provided a lovely home and surroundings for us. Our youngest daughter, Elaine ReNee arrived while we lived here. She was born 17 January 1948. She was an RH negative baby and it was only through a great blessing from the Lord that we have her with us. We were not so fortunate with out seventh child. She was still born 23 May 1953. The LDS Church has been the greatest influence in our lives. Through activity in it we have enjoyed great peace and happiness. Over the years I have worked as teacher in the Sunday School, Priesthood groups, and YMMIA, Assistant Supt of the Sunday School, Assistant and Supt of YMMIA, General Secretary of the Aaronic Priesthood and of the Adult Aaronic, Stake Genealogical Committee Chairman, First Counselor of the Ward Bishopric, a member of the High Council, an ordained temple worker, and a Supervisor in the Ogden Genealogical Branch Library. I have worked in various positions in the scouting program for 36 years. I earned my Eagle badge along with Hyrum and completed five palms with Harold. My Patriarchal blessing which I received in 1929 stated specifically that I was to teach in the institutions of learning. This has been my profession and I have enjoyed it. Even though many other positions pay better monetarily, none could bring more satisfaction. I receive a great thrill when one of my former students greets me enthusiastically and says in one way or another, "Thanks, you have helped me in my life." When it was necessary I worked as a carpenter during the summer building homes and when we built our new church I was one of the night supervisors there during one winter and I spent the next summer helping to put in walks and finishing up the building and grounds.

Life timeline of Victor LeRoy Oaks

Victor LeRoy Oaks was born on 20 Nov 1905
Victor LeRoy Oaks was 9 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
See More
Victor LeRoy Oaks was 24 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
See More
Victor LeRoy Oaks was 34 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
See More
Victor LeRoy Oaks was 36 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa. Nazi Germany is the common English name for Germany between 1933 and 1945, when Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party (NSDAP) controlled the country through a dictatorship. Under Hitler's rule, Germany was transformed into a totalitarian state that controlled nearly all aspects of life via the Gleichschaltung legal process. The official name of the state was Deutsches Reich until 1943 and Großdeutsches Reich from 1943 to 1945. Nazi Germany is also known as the Third Reich, from German Drittes Reich, meaning "Third Realm" or "Third Empire", the first two being the Holy Roman Empire and the German Empire. The Nazi regime ended after the Allied Powers defeated Germany in May 1945, ending World War II in Europe.
See More
Victor LeRoy Oaks was 47 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
See More
Victor LeRoy Oaks was 64 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
See More
Victor LeRoy Oaks was 67 years old when Munich massacre: Nine Israeli athletes die (along with a German policeman) at the hands of the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group after being taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games. Two other Israeli athletes were slain in the initial attack the previous day. The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, in which the Palestinian terrorist group Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them along with a West German police officer.
See More
Victor LeRoy Oaks died on 27 Jun 1984 at the age of 78
Grave record for Victor LeRoy Oaks (20 Nov 1905 - 27 Jun 1984), BillionGraves Record 9446 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States