Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak)

18 Jun 1917 - 16 Nov 2014

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak)

18 Jun 1917 - 16 Nov 2014
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) (18 Jun 1917 - 16 Nov 2014) at Monticello City Cemetery in Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak)

Married: 21 Jul 1947

Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States

Todd Millett

May 22, 2019

Todd Millett

May 22, 2019

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Veda M


Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Memories of Aunt Veda By Lucille Holyoak Mecham

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Memories of Aunt Veda....She was Ward Sunday School Secretary for a time. She was always pleasant. She worked in the drug store in Moab, and she nursed at Grand county Hospital. The night my first child was born the doctor was out of town and she delivered my baby---with a little assist from Carl.(Lucille's husband). Fathers weren't normally allowed in the delivery room in those days. Aunt Veda also worked years in the hospital in Monticello. She and Earl adopted young twins and finished raising them. By Lucille Mecham

Aunt Veda By Rosalie Holyoak Cooper

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Things I remember about Aunt Veda..... Aunt Veda was always a very sweet and loving person, always kind and helpful. We loved to go visit her every chance we had. I remember her taking us on picnices with her boyfriend Alton Dunn. We'd all climb in the back of his truck and take off for the mountain and have quite a day I also remember being quarantined because we had been exposed to both measles and whooping cough, so they wouldn't let us go to school so Aunt Veda held a school for us all at Grandpa's house until we all got them and over them, as none were too sick to stay in bed. How she stood it all that long. I'll never understand. She had Aunt Etholyn's kids, Uncle Jesse's kids and most of our family so there was a house full of coughing kids. I love Aunt Veda lots. She is special person in my life. I will alys be grateful for all she did for me and for the influence she had in my life. By Rosalie Holyoak Coopere

Aunt Veda By Vilate Holyoak Farnsworth

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Aunt Veda lived in Monticello so I was't around her very much, but I remember going to stay with her one summer for a week or so. She always had our family over on Stake Conference day for dinner. I remember once one of my children had gone some place with Mother and when they got home she told me she had seen that "Kissie Woman", They couldn't remember her name, but she always kissed them. By Vilate Holyoak Farnsworth

Aunt Veda B Betty Joyce Holyoak Foote

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I remember Aunt Veda and Rubie and Grandpa living in a house Glen built for them. They were so happy there. I use to walk up and visit them and get fruit from the orchard. I remember the pretty lilac and yellow rose bushes out front. We use to dig up Jerusalem artichokes to eat. Those are good memories. I remember Aunt Veda working at the hospital as a nurse. I remember some special books Aunt Veda gave me for Christmas when I was a little girl. They were titled "Two Wild Cherries". How I loved to read good books. I have kept them, read them to my children, and they read them, and now my grandchildren are reading them. They look like they have been read a lot but they are precious to me. When Aunt Veda married Earl Pehrson and moved to Monticello we didn't see her often, but she came down for special occasions. When Mother was ill and Daddy and Mothere were staying with me, Veda called and sent a card and even had Rita bring her upwhich was appreciated. Several times over the years when Mother was ill she called or came up. We always enjoyed visiting with Veda at the reunions and Memorial Day when we could come down. She has been a good Aunt over the years, and I love her very much. By Betty Joyce Holyoak Foote

Aunt Veda By Colleen Holyoak Taylor

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I always thought Aunt Veda was so pretty and still do. She had beautiful dark hair. Cousin Louesa and I spent a night at Veda and Earl's home in Monticello during our high school years. We had dates with a couple of boys we knew there to go to the rodeo. By Colleen Holyoak Taylor

Aunt Veda by Louesa Holyoak Pearce

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Aunt Veda has always been a very kind loving Aunt. I think I"ve felt even closer toher since my Dad died. I really enjoyed visiting and reminiscing with her while she was recuperating at Stan and Cheryl Holyoak's home. She always called me when she came to Salt Lake and I always hear from her at Christmas time. Whenever you would go to her house, she would have something for you to eat. She is the only nurse I know that got all of her training on the job. She was very highly thought of by all the doctors she worked with both in Moab and in Monticello. She spent a lot of time with my Dad when he was so sick and I'm very grateful to her for that. When I picture Aunt Veda in my mind, I always see the big turquoise bracelet that she always wears. By Louesa Holyoak Pearce

Aunt Veda BY Ben Holyoak

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I remember going to Grandpa Holyoak's place many times in my younger years. We used to dig artichokes along the ditch bank nex to the house. During the summertime we enjoyed the June Apple trees, grapes, currents, gooseberries, cherries, and pears. During he winter months Aunt Veda would let us go to the root cellar to get apples. The floor was covered with starw with wood dividers. There we would find Jonathan, Yellow Delicious, and winter permian apples. One thing I could never understand....with all the fruit we ate out of the orchard, how could there be so much in the cellar. I remember going to Grandpa's house and Aunt Veda always had the homemade butter on the kitchen table with the salt and pepper shakers and a cloth over the top to keep the flies off. Many times I sat and watched Aunt Veda make butter in a wooden churn, turning the handle until the cream turned into butter.She then drained it off and worked the butter with a paddle, adding salt and molding it into one pound cubes. They alwas had plenty of butter and homemade bread. Working in the hay fields (day light to dark) we always ate lunch and Aunt Veda cooked the meals. She was a very good coo0k. By Ben Holyoak

Aunt Veda By Dorothy Holyoak Hagner

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Aunt Veda always the well loved nurse. I remember Dr. I.W. Allen had the highest regard for her nursing skills and she did't even go to nursing school as I can recall. To my knowledge she was trained at the old hospital, and then worked at Monticello Hospital with Dr. Goon until she retired. I remember spending time with them in Monticello and getting a sore throat and she was right there to doctor with antibiotics etc. She made rum sauce to go on plum pudding for Thanksgiving dinner. She always has a smile and kiss for all the family. Aunt Veda always made good homemade candy for the holidays By Dorotyh Holyoak Hagner

Aunt Veda By Wynona Holyoak Dalton

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I remember Aunt Veda working at the hospital and I went there to see her all the time. i would wait in the basement for her to get off work and then walk home with her. I always wanted her to fix me up when I was sick. I went on Aunt Veda's honeymoon with her and Uncle Earl. In fact the whole family went with them. When we came home it was night time and I pretended I was asleep and Uncle Earl carried me into the house. Mom got after me for doing this, and Aunt Veda just laughed. When Aunt Veda moved to Monticello, I would go stay with her and we always made filled cookies They sure are good, and they still are today when she makes them. Aunt Veda is a very good cook and when we stopped going to Nana's (Aunt Etholen) for Thanksgiving , we started going to Aunt Veda's. I don't know how we all got in her house, but we did some how. We are always welcome when we go to Aunt Veda's even if it just to use the bathroom. Aunt Veda, you are a verey special Aunt and you have always been there when I needed you. You know I hate shots, but you give the softest one (if that is possible). I want you to know I love you. By Wynona Holyoak Dalton

Aunt Veda BY Roberta Holyoak Knutson

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

What would my life be like today without Aunt Veda. She taught me so much and is still teaching me today. What can you say about an Aunt that allows not only me, but my 2 sisters and Mom and Dad go on her honeymoon for the full time. I would say that was pure love. It was pure love when she helped take me to the hospital that Thanksgiving Day when I fell on the hot oven door of the wood burning stove and burned my arm. She stood by my side as gruff Dr. Allen bandaged my arm. It is pure love she showed by allowing me to spend some of each summer at her home where she taught me things such as the love of making crafts, cooking her favorite things and learning about my heritage. Pure love was and is poured into each Thanksgiving as she prepared dinner, first for all in the Holyoak family, later as the family grew and wanted their own dinner, she still prepared dinner for ours and her family. She started a tradition that is very special to me. I look forward to Aunt Veda's sweet potatoes, her Parker House rolls, her cranberry sauce , her turkey gravy and even though it is not my favorite, her suet pudding, which is my mothers favorite. Pure love has always been shown as she has helped me with my many mediaal troubles and problems, sometimes in the middle of night, on the phone, here and there....not everyone has a private nurse. I'm thankful for mine. Almost pure love has been shown as she sat and let me cut her hair real short and gave her a perm; which I stopped after a time because she had natural curl and did not need a perm. She just thought she did. Aunt Veda, you've been another mom to me, given me lots of love, taught me many important things and have been a great support in my life. Everyone should have an Aunt Veda in their life. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your life. By Roberta Holyoak Knutson

Aunt Veda BY Cheryl Holyoak Nyland

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

When I stayed at Aunt Veda's plae when I was small, she always worked at night at the hospital and slept in the day. She is a good cook and makes the best candy and cookies. Thanksgiving was spent at Aunt Veda's. i will always remember her rolls, sweet potatoes and rice pudding. She'd never measured anything in a recipe and expect us to cook like her. Aunt Veda's sideboards has always been full. She let me play with her old records when I stayed with her. She had candy for us, which goes to prove candy doesn't hurt kids. When I lived in Monticello she kepot me from losing my mind. She tried to teach me how to make rolls , but I was unteachable. She always has had a large storage and canned a lot of fruit and veggies. Aunt Veda is always willing to help anyone, anytime...I see her white uniform and white nylons hanging in the bathroom. She is a wonderful nurse. By Cheryl Holyoak Nyland

Aunt veda By Stan Holyoak

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I don't remember much about Aunt Veda in my younger years. She always lived in Monticello and was a nurse at the hospital. I do remember that she always kissed me when I did get to see her. Aunt Veda came to see me whe I was in the University of Utah burn Unit. It was great to see her. I really got to know Aunt Veda a few years ago when she fell down Rits's stairs. It was a misfortuenm for Aunt Veda, but a blessing to my family. She came and stayed with us for a few months.. What a wonderful experience to get reall acquainted with this marvelous lady. I discovered she was as sweet and lovable as could be. She has a memory like the elephant (she doesn't forget). Her memory is a "wealth of information" on our heritage. Everyone of us should take the time to visit with her and listen to the"Holyaok Past" and write it down. Aunt Veda, I'm so glad you came and stayed with us! (Me, too - The Editor). By Stan and Cheryl Peterson Holyoak

Aunt Veda By Ron Holyoak

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I remember going to Aunt Veda's to eat lunch at every Stake Conference. Sometimes she would stay home from conference to fix the dinner for all of the family. Aunt Veda kept a remembrance book full of snapshots, newspaper articles and etc. of the Holyoak family and she would let us look at them. Aunt Veda raised rabbits, and sometimes she would even feed them to us. Aunt Veda adopted the twins, it made her life complete. She was so happy to have them. Family is very inportant to Aunt Veda.She attends every wedding, family party, and reunion that she is able. Aunt Veda is a wonderful dedicated nurse. She delivered Dr. Jim Redd. Aunt Veda always has a hug and kiss for everyone. By Ron Holyoak

Aunt Veda By Veda Christine Ramey

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I'm the oldes daughter of Aunt Veda's only sister and so it's just natrual that my name should be Veda also. As a small child I was told that I was named after her because my Mama loved her only sister so much. I was also told that I looked more like Aunt Veda than I did my Mama, but I'm sure that was because I didn' have Mama's red hair and blue eyes. As a small child I remember spending time in Monticello with Aunt Veda and Uncle Earl She was a nurse and I wanted to grow up and be a nurse just like her because I was named after her and wanted to be like her. I can remember going to Monticello to see Grandpa Holyoak when he was staying with her. I remember when they finally decided to adopt; my Mama told me not to be jealous of Rita and Ronald and love them as cousins. They were part of my family. We didn't see a lot of Aunt Veda after Ann was born and when Mama died in 1966, I took Ann with me to California to live. We did move back to Moab for a while but didn't see much of Aunt Veda until Uncle Earl got sick and came to Grand Junction's hospital every day.It was wonderful to renew that relationship and get to know Aunt Veda again.. She is a wonderful person with many special talents and I love her and I'm glad that Ann and my children got to know her. Because even though her and my Mama were so different in a lot of ways they were sisters and were alike in some ways and she is the closest person my children have to a grandmother. By Veda Christine Ramey Black.

Veda and Rubie - Our Sister Cousins

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Uncle John is my fathers older brother so all his children are our first cousins, but Daddy was 45 when he married so us kids were much younger than most of his children. Rubie was only two years older I think. Veda and Rubie were like sisters to us. One memory that really stands out is when I was 6, Mama was gone on an emergency trip to Colorado and left Veda tending us kids. Sara Ann was 4, Dan was 3. It was winter, just after Christmas. Veda was ironing when Roy came. He told her that her mother had been badly burned and was in the hospital. I felt so sorry for Veda. Aunt Hat (Hattie) died and Uncle john and Rubie went to live with Arnel and Myrtle, and Veda and we all rode the bus. When school was out we'd wait for Veda or go find her. One day Sara Ann had wet her pants in school because she was afraid to ask the teacher if she could go to the bathroom). The water ran back under Delbert Olivers desk. The teacher scolded Delbert and Sara Ann didn't say anything. When Veda asked her why she was wet she said, "Delbert Oliver did it." I thought Veda was so beautiful and smart. In those days the whole town went to all the high shool plays and anything the school did. I remember one play in particular that Veda was in. She was so good. I think she was the mother. I can't remember the exact name but it was something about life with father.The line I remember best was father saying "Many's the night I had to go to bed hungry because there wasn't enough corn meal mush to go around'. (Aunt Veda said the named of the play was "Big Hearted Herbert". I guess I remembered that because I couldn't stand corn meal mush. We really enjoyed the play and to us Veda was the star. I don't remember when their new house was done and they went home again, but I know we hated to have Veda leave. She was still our sisiter and we spent a lot of time together. I remember Rubie coming up a lot. We could hear her long before she got there. She had a beautiful strong voice and loved to sing. It didn't matter the time of day or night. She wasn't afraid of the dark or anything that I knew of. I admired her self confidence. She knew everyone and loved them. I think she was as charitable a person as I ever knew. She liked to hear Mama sing all her sad songs and we'd all sit and cry while we listened and peeled peaches, shelled peas or whatever.Our hearts really went out to "Poor Litttle Joe", "Only Me", , "Stay in Your Own Back Yard", Just Plain Folks", "Don't Take My Little Home, Sir", "Where the Silvery Colorado Wends It's Way",. They were all tear jerkers, and we really had a great "beller sesson" and all felt better after. I guess that filled a need for all of us and yet I think we were all happy. Rubie never seemed unhappy. I wasn't there when she broke her leg. I remember the whole tribe got chicken pox at once and then we weren't allowed or made to go to school until all the scabs were gone, so Veda taught school at her house for all of us. School was never so good. We hated to see the scabs go and tried to keep them as long as possible. I'll bet Veda was glad to get rid of us, but we couldn't tell if we were a trial to her. She was always very loving and kind. Veda was a mother type. She kept house, cooked and washed, and in general took care of things. I remember her trying to teach Rubie to do the same, but Rubie was a happy-go-lucky day dreamer. I remember when our washing machine was broken and we went to Uncle Johns to wash. It wasn't just us. Monday morning Arnel would hitch up the mules and load their laundry and the laundry of who ever was living with them at the time. They would pick up members of the tribe who didn't have a washer all along the way and we'd all do our laundry at Veda's house. The washer was in the basement. When one was done and hung, we'd start on the next one. It took all day, but it was summer and days were long and hot. They dried quickly. As one of the kids we hated laundry day. We got the job of hanging all the clothes and bringing them in for who ever they belonged to . This was a social time. Everyone brought food and we put it all together. We appreciated the chance to do our laundry even though us kids thought it was hard, washing on the board was harder. We were glad when our washer was fixed. I'll bet Veda was too. summer was haying time and since our hay was cut and put up along with everyone and we had cows to feed it to, we helped with the work. Of Course like kids do , we had to have fun doing it. Veda cooked dinner for all the hands when we were doing their hay. She was a very good cook and dinner at noon was the best part of the day. Then, guess who did the dishes? That's right, Veda and Rubie, while all the hay hands stretched out all over the front room floor for a half hour snooze.I always wondered who kept track of the time to make sure we only had 1/2 hour.They all seemed so sound asleep, I don't know how they knew when time was up but they did---then it was back out in the heat. Well, Veda went to work at the hospital. It was the 1940s, and war time.She was a nautral nurse and many in San Juan and Grand County and Dove Creek, Colorado learned to love heer. Grand County hospital was the only one in the area and they were short of nurses, so in 1945, I graduated from school and Veda got me a job too, I don'r know what year she met Earl Pehrson. I don't remember if she met him at the hospital. I know there were others who fell in love with her there. I think one was Earl's cousin. Anyway, she married and moved away to Monticello and out of my life. I know I am very grateful to have a sister cousin like her. Most everything she predicted came true. I know one thing that didn't. Berdene Winbourn told me that she asked you, Veda, if you thought I would ever marry and you said "No" she's too much of a Mama's girl", which I was, but I did marry. I still think of Veda and Rubie as my sisier and I'm so glad they are part of my life. By Genevieve Holyoak Johnson

History of Veda Marie Holyoak Pehrson by Veda Marie Holyoak

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I was born June 18, 1917, the ninth child, first daughter after eight big scraping boys, to Henry John Holyoak and Hattie Elizabeth Lutz, in our home in Moab, Utah. There was no doctor in Moab except an old man named Dr. Williams, but he didn't deliver babies. So I was delivered by a mid-wife, Sarah Stewart, who was a relative of mother. My father and mother and eight brothers welcomed me with open arms. I was told I was very small and premature, and my bed, for quite awhile was a cardboard box lined with flannel. I had blue eyes and brown hair. Because of my size , I was kept on the warming oven of our big black cook stove in the kitchen. My father stated several times he didn't dare hold me because I was so tiny. I grew up with the loving care of my mother and father and my eight big brothers. We grew up on a farm 2 and a half, (I really thing it was just a mile or so. RK) out of town. I can remember we had about every kind of animal you could ask for, horses, cows, pigs, goats, chickens, pigeons, ducks, turkeys, geese, guinea hens, rabbits, dogs and cats. We raised most everything we ate, and traded cheese which my mother and father made. We traded eggs, butter, and cream for things we needed to buy out of the store. My mother was warm wonderful person especially to have had 10 children. Mother made nearly all the clothes we wore, except shoes and stockings. I can remember I was in the seventh grade before I had my first store bought coat. Mother had a stroke when my baby sister was born and then never was very well after. Father took her to Salt Lake City to a doctor when I was 9 years old, she had a sever stroke on the right side. She wasn't well enough to do anything for a long time. With help she finally was able to walk about and was able to walk to church and back. She was able to take feed to the chickens and gather the eggs, but was never able to speak or correspond with her family. then when I was 15 years of age, I was off baby sitting for Aunt Etholen and Ruby was up to Arnel's place. Father got up and helped her dress. He built a fire and went to do the chores; while he was out , Mother tried to put a log in the stove in the front room and caught her apron on fire. while trying to get out to the correll to where Dad could help her, she was severely burned. Her clothes were all burned off except her corset .She would not let Dad hitch up the team and wagon to take her to town, so he put a quilt around her and walked with her to Wash Johnson's place, half way to town, where Wash took her and Dad to the hospital. She was burned so badly she only lived from 8:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. the next morning. Mom lived long enough to have everyone of her children at her bedside. Mom was 58 years old when she died. she was buried in January 1933. She loved and cared for her children well. She was a very good cook and housekeeper. She had a beautiful voice and could play the organ. She loved to raise her own garden and had many beautiful roses and flowers in her yard. Mom did all her canning and would always have homemade bread, cakes and pies and cookies for us to eat. I missed my mother very much after she died. I tried to be a tom boy and wanted to play with my brother , Ray, who was four years older than I, but he protested loudly so I didn't get to very often. We raised all our own garden produce plus hay, grain and corn. We had our own fruit orchard and had nearly every kind of fruit we could grow. We also had gooseberry and currents and, raspberryies strawberries grapes and dewberries down at the bottom end of our orchard. The year I was to start school, I got the whooping cough and couldn't go to school until after Thanksgiving. Then I had to take the 1st grade over and boy was I mad at my mother for making me take it over, but I caught up with my cousin in the second grade. I remember having contests with my cousins to see how many gooseberries we could put in our mouth and chew up with out pulling a face. They were my father's favorite pie buy, oh, they were stickery to pick. They made delicious pies and preserves. I, being next to the last, didn't have to pick too many. When I was four years old our number 10 child was born, Aug. 15, 1921. A red headed, blue-eyed girl. How happy I was to have a baby sister, so I got to help mother a lot with the taking care of her. We grew up and went to school in Moab. We didn't have a car so we either walked or father took us in the wagon pulled by a team of horses or in winter months we went on the bob-sled, pulled by a team of horses. By the time we got to school we had picked up every kid on the street for 2 1/2 miles. It was all the horses could pull sometimes. Our home was a big house, had three great big bed rooms, a large kitchen, pantry, bathroom, and a large dining room with a fireplace, a large front porch and a large back porch where our washer was kept.. Some of the older brothers slept out on the big back porch. We had apple trees on the north side of the house, rose bushes, lilacs and a Catalph tree on the south side and pink, red, and yellow rose bushes and holly hocks all out in the front. Mother always had lots of flowers for Decoration Day. Our irrigation ditch was on the north side of the house and it was always cool out under the apple trees by the ditch. We had a screen wire and wood frame cooler that was covered with burlap sacks, which we kept cool with water from the irrigation ditch. this cooler was where we kept or milk, cream, butter and anything we needed to keep cool. Our favorite Sunday dinners consisted of light rolls, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, chicken gravy, salad and vegetables while they were in season and rice and raisin pudding or cake and ice cream when there was ice or snow. We always had plenty to eat. I can't ever remember going hungry.. In fact my father and mother always gave food to less fortunate people, never a stranger was turned away hungry. I can remember a whole lot of Indians would gather in the fall of the year at our place, after Grandfather Holyoak died, and Dad would give them squash, flour, and bacon from our storage. They would build a fire out in the back yard and dance and sing all night. Then the next day they would go on their way. Dad would feed them and their horses. I remember we lived in between two creeks. Pack Creek on the South and Mill creek on the North. In summers, when it rained hard, we would always have a flood down both creeks. It would wash out the bridges and we would have to go up through the fields to get to the big bridge across Mill Creek, by John Peterson's, before we could go to town or wait until the floods had all died down. Then sometimes we would still have to take our shoes and socks off and wade across to get to the other side. Sometimes it would wash out our city water line and we would have to either draw water in all the buckets and kettles we could find and fill our bath tub or else haul water from town until they could get the line fixed. The creek bottom land was always full of reeds and tamarack bushes. The coolest place in summer time and the warmest in the winter time. We only had a one way lane for a roadway. Fences on both side and cottonwood trees. the neighbors below us had plums, apples and walnut trees on his side of the fence, as well as grapes growing along the south fence. It was always nice to stop and pick some on the way home to eat. We were always starved by the time we got that far on the way home from town. Mr. Matt Martin owned it when I was young; he always said help your self and I did. My brother, Ray, had a bicycle and I kept wanting to ride it. Dad kept saying girls didn't ride boys bicycles, but one day I had to try it. I was going down the road and someone was coming up in a car so I tried to get up on the side of the road , out of the way; I turned the bike over and skinned my knees and arms and tore my socks and dress. I decided my Dad was right , girls didn't belong on boys bikes. I never tried that again. I remember in the 6th grade, I received a certificate for not being absent or tardy in the whole school year. I was pretty proud, as well as my parents,. It was quite an accomplishment in those days, not many kids got one. Our school building was a big red brick building. it had two front entrances. The first four grades were down stairs, 5th and 6th were up stairs. We had lots of stairs to climb. The library was up near the 6th grade and the principles office. A lot of us that lived out of town had to take our lunch. Sometimes they would let us all go in one room and eat, but most of the time they made us stay out side. Our games were jump rope, hopscotch and jacks. They also had slides and swings out on the school grounds or we played basket ball, or football across the street in the ball park. When I was ten years old. Father had to take Mother to Salt Lake City for medical help. She had not been well since my baby sister was born. She had several small strokes and was on the verge of being a diabetic. We went to Thompson, Utah by wagon and then took the train to Sal Lake City. My first train ride, how thrilled I was . There were lots of Popular, Cottonwood, and Mullberry trees at the fairgrounds and track and football field, which gave us a lot of shade in the summertime. There were lots of caterpillars and how I hated to have them fall out of the trees on me. Some of the boys would get them and throw them on the girls just to hear them scream. One boy brought a water snake to school and teased all the girls with it. He started to put it down my back, I thought I was going to die, but I was determined not to scream. Deciding that it wasn't much fun it I wasn't going to scream, he threw the snake away. The other girls thought I was so brave. Some of my teachers were Miss Lemon, Miss Loveridge, Miss Bethel Watts, Mrs Neva Kirk, Mrs. Eddie Kimball, Miss Lyda Tripler. I went through grade school, can't remember any special happenings. Then we went to 7th grade, that was a big change. We had more teachers and some men teachers. The work seemed harder. In Mr. Evans Biology class he asked us to draw a fish and name the parts. He embarrassed me by holding up my drawing. I couldn't draw for sour grapes. He said, "Oh look here, if it didn't have fish parts beside it I'd say this was an airplane". Everyone laughed and I was almost in tears, and my artwork grew steadily worse as I progressed in school. Most of my older brothers had married and moved away from home when I got in high school , except my youngest brothers Glen and Ray. Mr. Evans kept saying, "Ray is good in my classes why aren't you?" I got so mad one day and said "Well I'm not Ray, so you'll have to treat me as me and not Ray". So finally he got off my case. We had our first car when I was eleven years old. A Chevy with Isen glass side you could take off. Boy, we enjoyed riding in it. Dad drove it just once. He forgot how to stop it and yelled "Whoa", but it didn't stop; when the boys got it stopped, he go out and said"it's not for me, I'll drive my horses..(I was told he drove it thru the back wall . RK) I participated in nearly all the school plays, operettas, and class plays which I enjoyed very much. Most of the parts I played was the part of a mother. Mr. Evans said I was cut out for the part. After I graduated from school our old home needed so many repairs that my brothers Glen, Ray Dad and I decided to pool our wages and tear the old home down and rebuild a smaller home. I went to work at the drug store and helped ten children and ended up taking care of Mr. H.B. Evans family while his wife was very sick and in the hospital. I surely was scared to work for him and his five children, but we got along fine and I really got better acquainted with Mr. Evans and we were good friends after that. We had the new home completely built and furnished in a couple of years. Father, my two youngest brothers, my sister Rubie, and I lived there and I kept house for them until I got married. I worked for several years at the drug store. I worked behind the soda fountain, uner the ownership of Mr and Mrs. John and Grace Davies and they then sold the store to the Ross Bradfords. I then worked for them and helped them learn the ice cream making and fountain service. I filled two Stake Missions for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints. We worked in Moab, LaSal and Monticello East Branch. I was a councilor in M,I.A. in Moab for several years and worked for 12 years in the Sunday School as secretary and was a Primary teacher. I was called as secretary by F.M. Schafer , my brother LeRoy Holyoak and Milton Johnson as councilors. After my brother Glen went into the service in 1942, he owned a second hand Ford car. It was my job to take Dad to the Flat Ranch to do the chores and tend the water. I had to learn to drive the car in two months That's why I really do not enjoy driving now. I then worked for Dr. I. W. Allen. He asked me several times and as I had always wanted to be a nurse, I decided to give it a try. Needless to say , I was nurse for 43 years until I retired in May of 1985. I had good teachers at the hospital, mostly Dr. Allen and two R.N's who helped me tremendously. I learned very quickly to love the work and had many various kinds of experiences; some very rewarding. I made many friends for life during my hospital working years. i still meet friends made during this time of my life. In 1946 I met Earl Pehrson who was brought in as a patient. He was brought in from a wrecked road patrol while on his way home from Price, Utah. He was bringing the patrol back to Monticello after being repaired. the workers failed to put transmission oil in the patrol after being repaired and on the way home it froze up and locked and turned over on him, near the old C.C.C. camp down in Dry Valley. He was badly hurt, the crushed cab had to be pried off of him to release hi,. When he arrived at the hospital he had large gashes and cuts on his face and forehead and seven broken ribs, broken arm, fractured pelvis and leg and head lacerations for which he spent 45 days in the Old Moab hospital. After he got out of the hospital , our courtship started. I worked as manager of the Moab Hospital for one year, the year of 1946 to June 1947, kept books for Dr. Allen, plus give the anesthesia. In June 1947 I handed in my resignation and we were married on July 21 1947 in the Manti Temple, Manti , Utah with Earl's father and mother and my father as witnesses. I left Moab and moved to Monticello, Utah. We lived in a small two room apartment above George and Lydia Dalton's home for a couple of months. We then went back to Moab where Earl was working for the State Road. We had to carry our water upstairs and wash ,on the board and carry our water back down stairs. we used the out side John and bathed in a number 3 galvanized wash tub at Lydia's. When we moved back to Monticello we lived in Earl's parents home until we got our home finished. Earl, my brother Arnel and his wife, Myrtle, Dad and I worked at getting our home built, which we still live in. We hauled the logs from the Manti/LaSal Mountains from off our own land,which Dad and by brothers owned. My brother Glen and my cousin Desmond Young owned a saw mill at the time and we rented an old army truck from Tulley Harvey and hauled them ourselves on weekend and when Earl was off work. Fay Gage was out carpenter and he tired Tom Black to help him as errand boy. we moved in the fall of the year 1948. We didn't have all our plumbing done but got it done gradually. I had moved from Moab to Monticello, during the flood season back to Moab. Then back to Monticello, then moved from Mrs. Dalton's to Earl's parents place then to our home in about two years time. I said I hoped I never had to move again. So far I haven't. dad told Earl when he asked for my hand in marriage that where his cook and housekeeper wen he went also,,earl said , "fair enough." continue in story 2

Continued from page 1 of History of Veda Holyoak Pehrson

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

,, Dad spent three years with us but, he did not like being confined in-doors during those months, and the winters were so bad and long and we had so much snow in 1947, 1958, and 1949. The year of 1950 Dad decided he would live in Moab with my brother Arnel and family during the winter months. When it started to get warm Dad spend the summers with us. Then after his birthday the 28th of Oct, we would take him back to Moab for the winter months. Dad had a severe heart attack when he was 75 years old. Dr. Allen said he would never be able to do hard work again, but he didn't know my Dad. He worked hard as a farmer alll his life and lived to the ripe old age of 90.. Dad he was a good father and provider for his wife and all his children. He gave them all the desire to do their best and work hard. he never turned a stranger from our door. He was as happy when we adopted the twins as he could be. he loved them and had them sit on his lap and told them many stories. After Mother died he was Father and Mother to all of us. He wanted all his children to get t good education and to be active in their church work. He filled a mission in the Southern States. His oldest son Roy filled one there as well, and all of his sons were married in the Temple, for time and eternity. Dad was able to go through the Temple with me and my husband when we got married in the Manti Temple, July 21, 1947. I was so glad he went through with me. Earl's father and mother were there as well. Dad left a large posterity.. In the fall of 1954 we adopted a pair of twins, 7years old. when we went to Salt lake after them to the Children's Service Society, we had $1.38 in the Bank of Ephraim, so we borrowed $500.00 to get us started. Dad stayed in Moab,he was as happy as we were with them. The next summer when he came to stay with us he and the children really enjoyed each other. We went on picnics and fishing and hunting trips and everyone in the Country were tickled for us. My Dad said one day as he looked out in the yard, we had about 20 children out on the lawn, for someone with no children for seven years you surly have a lot now; of course, all were neighbor children except our twins, Rita and Ronald. But they never lacked for friends and neither did we. while the twins were growing up we took several trips to a variety of places, including Salt Lake area, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, and New mexico; many places I had never been before as well.

Life timeline of Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak)

Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) was born on 18 Jun 1917
Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) was 3 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) was 22 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) was 28 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) was 40 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) was 47 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) was 61 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) was 63 years old when Mount St. Helens erupts in Washington, United States, killing 57 people and causing $3 billion in damage. Mount St. Helens or Louwala-Clough is an active stratovolcano located in Skamania County, Washington, in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. It is 50 miles (80 km) northeast of Portland, Oregon and 96 miles (154 km) south of Seattle, Washington. Mount St. Helens takes its English name from the British diplomat Lord St Helens, a friend of explorer George Vancouver who made a survey of the area in the late 18th century. The volcano is located in the Cascade Range and is part of the Cascade Volcanic Arc, a segment of the Pacific Ring of Fire that includes over 160 active volcanoes. This volcano is well known for its ash explosions and pyroclastic flows.
Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) was 73 years old when Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison outside Cape Town, South Africa after 27 years as a political prisoner. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was the country's first black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism and fostering racial reconciliation. Ideologically an African nationalist and socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 1991 to 1997.
Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) was 84 years old when The September 11 attacks, a series of coordinated suicide attacks killing 2,996 people using four aircraft hijacked by 19 members of al-Qaeda. Two aircraft crash into the World Trade Center in New York City, a third crashes into The Pentagon in Arlington County, Virginia, and a fourth into a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. The September 11 attacks were a series of four coordinated terrorist attacks by the Islamic terrorist group al-Qaeda against the United States on the morning of Tuesday, September 11, 2001. The attacks killed 2,996 people, injured over 6,000 others, and caused at least $10 billion in infrastructure and property damage. Additional people died of 9/11-related cancer and respiratory diseases in the months and years following the attacks.
Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) died on 16 Nov 2014 at the age of 97
Grave record for Veda M Pehrson (Holyoak) (18 Jun 1917 - 16 Nov 2014), BillionGraves Record 31302115 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States