Thomas S. Court

4 Mar 1871 - 23 Sep 1957


Thomas S. Court

4 Mar 1871 - 23 Sep 1957
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Thomas S. Court (4 Mar 1871 - 23 Sep 1957) at Provo City Cemetery in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Thomas S. Court
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Thomas S. Court


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


June 26, 2011


June 21, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Thomas S....

We found more records about Thomas S. Court.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Thomas S.


Thomas S. Court is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



President Court

Contributor: dvdmovieking Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago Vai Sikahema For the Deseret News Aloha! The first Mormon missionaries who came to Tonga were Elders Brigham Smoot and Alva J. Butler, who arrived in Nuku'alofa on July 15, 1891. There were religious and political reasons beyond their control that resulted in their unsuccessful efforts, but suffice to say, in 1897, the First Presidency recommended missionary work closed in Tonga. A decade passed before the president of the Samoan Mission, Thomas S. Court, sailed to the Vava'u Group on March 19, 1907 to determine if it was suitable for missionaries but also to buy horses for the mission farm. According to the book Unto the Islands of the Sea - A History of the Latter-day Saints in the Pacific by R. Lanier Britsch, "When President Court returned to Samoa, he reported that the prospects were ‘very bright’ and he intended to send elders there soon. ... President Court told ... missionaries that friends he made in Vava'u had asked the Church to send elders to open a school and preach the gospel. According to Ermel J. Morton's account of the Tongan Mission, the man who asked President Court to send missionaries to Vava'u was Iki Tupou Fulivai, harbor master" (434-435). Here’s my great-grandfather Iki Tupou Fulivai, harbor master of Neiafu, Vava'u, which was one of the busiest and most beautiful harbors in the Pacific. Until recently, this was the only portrait of him that existed, probably taken in the late 1800s in Sydney, Australia because he was educated there. Iki was well traveled, working on ships that took him to China, Europe, and even to America - rare among Tongan men at that time. He especially loved the Orient, and as a little boy, I remember playing on his estate Esia, which I didn't realize until I was an adult is the Tongan transliteration for "Asia." Tonga was so remote that it was also rare for Tongans to wear Western clothing, but Iki is sporting exactly what was fashionable at the time in London, New York, and Philadelphia right down to the handlebar mustache. As the son of a nobleman, Iki and three of his peers were sent to Australia to study because the Tongan government hadn't yet established public schools. The other three boys grew homesick and returned to Tonga, but Iki stayed and learned to speak English, although he didn't complete his education - he simply dropped out to travel. Because he was fluent in English, the governor of Vava'u later appointed him harbor master, piloting the tow boat that brought large ships into Vava’u’s scenic Port-of-Refuge harbor. Presumably, that's how Iki met President Court, whom he invited to stay in his home when he learned he was a minister looking to buy horses. The next morning, Iki took the mission president to a neighboring village and introduced him to a family friend who owned horses. President Court selected two plow horses for purchase. Iki later recalled that President Court produced a handkerchief in which he saw gold coins that he offered for the horses. But true to the Tongan custom of the day, the friend refused the money. President Court was so indebted that he asked Iki how his kindness could be repaid. Iki responded by asking President Court if he could send teachers to educate his children. According to family lore, President Court famously replied, "I will send you two teachers." Two months after President Court returned to Samoa with his horses, he sent Elders William O. Facer and Heber J. McKay to Vava’u on June 13, 1907. They lived with Iki’s family, teaching all of his children to read and the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. The youngest of Iki’s 14 children is my grandmother Toa'ila, who wouldn’t be born for another 13 years and is alive today at age 94. Five years ago, I was thumbing through a copy of this BYU Studies booklet a friend had given me. My friend gave me this issue because the family of a former missionary to Tonga in the 1930’s, named Thomas Whitley, published Elder Whitley’s missionary photos. Among them was this picture. This is the only photograph that exists of my grandparents Iki Tupou Fulivai and his wife Leva’itai, who appears to be wearing a silk dress that Iki probably bought in China. Here is what the caption beneath says: “Missionaries from the LDS Church initially entered Tonga in 1891 but withdrew six years later, when the extensive proselyting had produced only a handful of members, not all of whom remained faithful. When missionaries returned in 1907, Nopele ‘Iki Tupou Fulivai invited some of the first LDS missionaries to teach in Neiafu, where they opened a branch and a school. When the Tongan government instituted education in Vava’u in the 1930s, ‘Iki Tupou Fulivai became one of the first students to graduate. His wife Leva’itai was part Fijian and worked in the Relief Society. Fulivai had contact with many people from different parts of the Pacific because he was the pilot who helped bring large ships into Neiafu harbor with Fredrick Wolfgramm’s boat, Olga.” As a nobleman, Iki was pressured by the Tongan monarchy, who were mostly members of the Free Wesleyan Church, to remove the missionaries who lived in his home and to cease teaching his family and neighbors the restored gospel. He refused at great personal cost. Until the 1930s, when public schools were established in Tonga, Iki charged the Church $1 per year for the school property on his estate where missionaries taught in order to satisfy a Tongan law, making it affordable for the Church. Generations of Tongans learned to read and write and were baptized because of Iki Tupou Fulivai. Iki Fulivai's great courage and enormous sacrifice, I believe, is partly why Tonga is among the most literate countries in the world and why Tonga, at 57% according to Church census, has the highest LDS membership per capita in the world. That figure may explain why the Church uses an extraordinary amount of its resources in such a small, remote place.

History of Early Missionaries

Contributor: dvdmovieking Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Thomas Samuel Court Birth date, place 4 March 1871, West Jordan, Salt Lake, Utah Territory Baptism date 4 September 1879 Baptism by Robert Leek Father's name Owen T Court Mother's name Louisa Sarah Swinyard Samoan May 1893–Unknown Age Called: 22 Samoan Islands Set Apart: 19 May 1893 Priesthood office: Seventy Quorum: 33rd Priesthood: 33rd Seventies Called From: West Jordan, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Set apart by: Rulon s Wells Samoan September 1904–June 1908 Age Called: 33 Served as Mission President Samoa Set Apart: 2 September 1904 End Date: 11 June 1908 Priesthood office: Seventy Quorum: 123rd Priesthood: 123rd Quo Seventy Called From: Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Set apart by: Francis M Lyman

Memorial / Obituary / Personal History

Contributor: dvdmovieking Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Reported by Thomas S. Court, from "Memories of Thomas S Court", "My grandfather, Thomas Court was called to preside over the Milton Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, January 25, 1857. On August 3, 1862 they moved from Milton to Feversham, at the request of Elder John Needham, who was president of the Kent Conference to take the president's office of the Feversham Branch. Thomas Court and family moved to America in the year 1870.

Memories of Thomas S. Court by Florence Court Shields

Contributor: dvdmovieking Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Memories of Thomas S. Court History of Thomas S. Court, second son of Owen Thomas Court and Louisa Sarah Swinyard. Compiled by his oldest daughter, Florence Court Shields, for the Provo 5th Ward High Priests' Quorum. Information gathered from genealogical records, personal journals and a good part of it from memories of his wife, Florence Ell a Pratt Court, as she had been told by various members of the Court family. The following is copied from a family history started by Thomas S. Court some years ago: "I was born i n West Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, Marc h 24, 1871. The house in which I was born was situated among the willows on the west bank of the Jordan River, about one and a half miles north of the Old Gardner Flour Mill , and about 13 miles south of Salt Lake City. " M y parents had been in this country about a year and a half when I was born; they having arrived from Ospring, Kent, England, when my brother, George Ed - ward Owen Court was about six months old. They had arrived i n Ogden, Utah, on the sixth immigrant railway train to arrive at that point, (the train that had had a bad accident) and settled i n Salt Lake City, October 28, 1869. A t the time of my birth, March 24, 1871, my parents were living with my mother's aunt, Mrs. Louisa Higgins and family. M y father worked on the Salt Lake and South Jordan Canal, but a few months later returned to Salt Lake City. " M y father, Owen Thomas Court, was the only son of his parents, Thomas Court and Ameli a Owen. He 3 followed his father's trade of bricklayer. In England, it was necessary to have good chimneys and fireplaces, so it was quite an accomplishment to be in demand to build chimneys and fireplaces. For several generations, the men in the Court family were first class bricklayers, and they found this type of work in the new land. "My grandfather, Thomas Court was called to preside over the Milton Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, January 25, 1857. On August 3, 1862 they moved from Milton to Feversham, at the request of Elder John Needham, who was president of the Kent Conference to take the president's office of the Feversham Branch. Thomas Court and family moved to America in the year 1870. "My mother, Louisa Sarah Swinyard, was the only living child of her parents, Samuel Swinyard and Maria Weller. They were also from Milton, Kent, England." Samuel Swinyard was a gamekeeper on the grounds belonging to the King of England; also assisting with the caring of the horses and stables. Louisa used to follow her father around the Royal Grounds as he worked. When Louisa joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, her family disowned her and turned her out. Some time later, however, her parents joined the church too, and her father was disowned by his family. It was found when the records were being searched for genealogy, that one of Louisa's uncles, William Swinyard, had felt so disgraced by his brother's joining the Church, that he had left the Shire where the family lived and had gone to live in another part of the country and changed his name to Smith. Returning once more to the personal record: "When I was about six years of age, we moved to South Bountiful, into a house about one mile north of what was known then as "Becks Hot Springs." I remem- 4 ber that my father helped to build a schoolhouse right near the house that we lived in. I also remember that the people in the vicinity held their Sunday meetings at my Grandfather Court's home about a half mile north; also of attending President Brigham Young's funeral, having seen him many times before; and of brother George and others being baptized in the Jordan River, a mile or two west of where we lived. "We stayed there only about two years, and then moved back to West Jordan, where I was baptized on September 4, 1879. " My father worked at farming and at his trade as a bricklayer. We moved around in the Ward several times until finally he bought a small farm of 18 acres from William Wardle, who owned a one-fourth section. "It was in this ward that I grew up with my brother George, who was two years older than me, and my sister who was two years younger than me. It was in West Jordan that I obtained my primary education. The first teacher whom I can remember was David R. Allen. The next and last was George D. Gardner. These were schools of one teacher, who taught all classes. "During this time, my parents always set me a good example in their own lives and I liked to attend Primary, Sunday School and Mutual, as well as Sacrament Meeting. I remember being much impressed by the study of the New Testament. The teacher being Brother Niels Lind. A number of the boys of this class, asked Brother Lind if he would not hold a class during the week, to which he consented, and we held a class in the middle of the week for several weeks. "I was ordained a deacon about 1884, a teacher in 1887 and a seventy, December 16, 1891. On March 4, 1893, I received a call from President Wilford Woodruff to go on a mission to the Samoan Islands. "During my boyhood days, I worked with my father 5 at his trade as a bricklayer, and became quite familiar • with that work; also worked for the Utah Mattress Factory and also many other jobs, incident to a country boy living on a farm. " M y travels had been confined to my native territory, Utah, and a part of Wyoming. The traveling being done by following cows or sheep from place to place. Consequently, I was out on Hams Fork of the Green River, Wyoming, when my mission call came on my birthday. "There is an incident in connection with the call to Samoa that impressed me very much, for I believe that it is one of the strongest testimonies I ever had, that the Lor d knows our thoughts and desires. "I had always been interested, and am now, in what the Elders are doing in the mission fields, and for a year or two prior to my call, I read everything that came into my hands about their work. Especially was I interested in what President Joseph H . Dean of Samoa had written in the Juvenile Instructor, and I had a longing i n my soul to go there and fil l a mission in that land. I had said nothing to anyone about it. I felt that no one but myself and the Lor d knew anything about it. Hence, unless the Lor d had inspired President Woodruff, why should I have been called there, for they were needing missionaries just as much in every mission in the world, and it was only one chance in twenty-five that I would have been called to Samoa. The wording of the letter was definite: 'You r name has been suggested and accepted as a missionary to Samoa. We would be pleased to have you make your arrangements to start from this city at an early date, so as to leave San Francisco, Ma y 25, 1893.' " M y answer to President Woodruff was sent right away with enthusiasm: T will be ready to go!' The Salt Lake Temple was to be dedicated on the sixth of April , so two weeks were all that I could stand to remain away 6 from home, and prepare for what I wanted to do before going to Samoa. "About the first thing that Bishop John A. Egbert asked me to do was to assist in baptizing 30 or 40 people in the canal near West Jordan meetinghouse. On the day appointed, myself and another Elder baptized them; the ice was flowing in large chunks. "The day that our ward was to go to the dedication of the Temple, I was asked to be one of the ushers. From the 6th to the 24th of April, 31 meetings were held in order to permit as many people to attend the dedication services as possible. Each day groups were appointed from certain wards or stakes of the Church. "During these few weeks, a general preparation was made. On May 16th we went to Logan for the purpose of spending the next day in the temple. It was there that I met the two Elders who were going to Samoa with me: Elders George B. Freeze and Louis B. Burnham. The Salt Lake Temple was not yet ready for ordinance work to be performed in. My father and mother, my brother, George and his wife and child, went to the Temple that day. On the 19th of May, I was set apart by President Seymour B. Young and Rulon S. Wells, Brother Wells being mouth. They laid their hands upon my head and gave me a wonderful blessing and promises which were all fulfilled. "Two days later, Sunday the 31st, I left the West Jordan meetinghouse and went to Salt Lake City, where I met the other Elders again that were going to Samoa with me, as well as the ones who were going to New Zealand on the same vessel (SS Monowai). At 4:30 p.m., May 25, 1893 we left the wharf and started out through the Golden Gate Harbor for the Pacific Ocean. On June 1st, we arrived in Honolulu. We met the Elders who were laboring in Honolulu and we were taken to see the beautiful city and visited the mission home. 1 "We were permitted to hold a meeting on board the ship and a wonderful spirit prevailed. " A t 12:30 p.m., June 8th we dropped anchor about one-quarter of a mile from shore in the Api a Harbor of Upolu, Samoa. Upolu is an island of wonderful beauty; I haven't the language to describe it. A s far as we could see, it looked like a great garden of most beautiful trees and plants, bordered with a shore line almost as white as snow, with white coral sand which the waves of the ocean kept absolutely clean and fresh. "In a short time President George E. Browning and some of the Elders came out in a boat belonging to the mission, to meet us and take us to the mission headquarters at Fagalii, which was located about 3 miles east in a pretty little bay of the same name. "In a day or two we were assigned to our fields of labor and not many days passed before my companion, Elder Ransom M . Stevens and myself walked across the island single file to the village of Siumu. The traveling was strenuous, sometimes dense and sometimes rocky, and by the time we had walked the 20 miles, carrying books and tracts as well as clothing, I was ready to stay there for good. It took us all day that first time, but I was to make the trip many times, and i n four hours. " A t this place, my first missionary work began. M y companion was one of the very best and capable Elders in the Islands. " M y parents had come from England about a year and a half before I was born, so I had only the education of the ordinary boy of that time. I had always liked to attend the meetings and classes of the various organizations of the church, but now found myself confronted with a new experience. I learned to know what it was to work and pray, for a great deal of the time was spent out i n the jungle under the Banyan tree or out under the bananas or palms. One of these places was visited every 8 day and often many times a day, and I poured out my soul to my Father in Heaven in gratitude for the joy and blessings that we had in this work. I began to learn the language. "There was a war between the countries of Germany, Great Britain and the United States, which went on all of the time I was there. Each country trying to domineer the natives and teach them his way of life. On the island, Upolu, nearly all foodstuff was very scant and most of it was sent to the army on the other side of the island, leaving us very little to eat for many months. The President of the mission, Brother Thomas H. Hilton, seeing my condition, near the close of the year 1894, released me from the mission that I might return home; a thing that I regretted very much. "I had $10.00 that I had not spent on my mission, and the unemployment depression was still on and everything was quite cheap. Before I arrived home, I resolved to go to the B. Y. Academy at Provo and get at least $10.00 worth of education. When the academy opened after the Christmas holidays, I was there. Before I left home, Bishop John A. Egbert and the YMMI A officers of the ward desired me to take the MIA class; which was a course offered for 20 weeks to prepare young men for M IA work in the wards and stakes of the church. "I did not expect at first, to be able to stay the full 20 weeks, but by borrowing another $10.00 from another student and by being economical on costs, and also by using all of the daylight every day, and all the electric light every night, (it went out by 1 a.m.) I was able to stay and felt I had made wonderful progress. "At the close of school, I found myself President of the class of about 75 young men. The exercises of the graduating classes were all very inspiring to me, and the association of the great men of the school and church. Some of them were: Dr. Carl G. Maeser, Principal B. 9 Cluff, Jr., Prof. G. H . Brimhall, Dr. Milton H . Hardy, and many others of the faculty and general authorities of the church. Al l that was said during the graduating exercises and during the 20 weeks have left their impressions on my life for good. Whether I would return to school again or not, had not been thought of by me, as I had completed the course I had come for. I had heard many students promise each other that they would meet again when the acadeny opened after the summer vacation; but as for me, I had graduated from the course that I had taken and had received my certificate, besides I could not see any means in sight to pay back even the $10.00 that I had borrowed. I rather felt that I had had my chance to study in that Institute. I was the last one who seemed not to be in a hurry to leave; finally deciding to leave. I turned to go and came face to face with Dr. Maeser at the door. He did not say many words to me, but when he shook my hand and said, 'I hope you will come back again,' I had about decided that I would return to school. "Work the following summer was very hard to obtain; but I managed to earn about $60.00 and board out of which I returned the ten dollars to my fellow student, from whom I had borrowed. I was about 3 weeks late in getting back in school. I entered as a normal student and belonged to the class of 1900. I rented a small room and lived alone to cut my expenses to the minimum, and helped in the library to pay for my tuition. A t the end of the school year, I had passed in all my studies and felt very much satisfied with my work. "During the following summer, I worked at canvassing for the Church publication and "Preaching and Public Speaking" for Professor N . L . Nelson of the B. Y . A . I did not do very well financially, but returned to school the latter part of August, 1896 in time for the opening of the B. Y . A . I expected to again help in the library, but instead I had been given the position of Registrar by 10 President Cluff. So with this work, I was able to take only about two-thirds of the usual study courses. "At the beginning of the school year, 1897-98, besides being Registrar, I was appointed Deputy Treasurer to W. H. Dusenberry. He was treasurer of the B. Y. U. Board of Trustees and President Joseph F. Smith was president of that Board. In addition to this work, I taught Theology and some mathematical classes every day, as well as taking studies in the various classes with the hope of graduating some time. I did take out a special certificate in plain surveying, and a high school diploma. I also had about two years of collegiate work done by the end of the school year 1903-04. "November 23,1898, in the Temple at Salt Lake City, I was married to Miss Florence Ella Pratt, of Provo, Utah; daughter of John Orson and Annabell Jacques Pratt. A wedding reception was held for us by my mother, brother George, and my sister Florence in the old home in West Jordan. My father was in England on a mission at the time. There were quite a number of old friends from West Jordan, besides the relatives and a number of people from Provo. This occurred on Thanksgiving Day. The marriage ceremony was performed by President John R. Winder. I was in school again on Monday morning, being absent only one school day. "At the close of the school year 1901-02, I was appointed by Provo City to act as Deputy City Engineer and by the Utah County Commissioners as Deputy County surveyer, to Caleb Tanner. "Near the close of the school year of 1903-04, the First Presidency of the Church wrote me that my name had been suggested for the Samoan Mission. My answer to President Smith was about as enthusiastic as the one I had written to President Woodruff eleven years before, for when I left the Islands the first time I had a very strong impression that I would again return. 0290614 H 7i¥W£ „ lA V £ÊNÊALOGICAL SOCIETY OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OP LATTER-DAY SAINTS "Because of this my mind was fully made up to accept this call of President Joseph F. Smith's to return to Samoa, not withstanding that President George A. Brimhall of the University, when he heard of my call, told me that I need not go on a mission, that I was doing a good work where I was among the youth of Zion, in that institution and wards around Provo. I was secretary of the Utah Stake YMMI A Board, also teacher in the Sunday School and a class leader in MIA, Provo 3rd Ward. I felt however, that the re-call to Samoa was the will of the Lord and His will should be done, not mine or anyone else's, for the Lord had already opened up the way for me to go. "I never thought however that I would not return to the B. Y. U. when I was released and returned home, but then I had as little knowledge of what I would do when I returned home as I had at the time of what would be expected of me when I arrived on Samoa and from then on, or how long I would stay. "I worked at county surveying up to the last of August. On the 28th, the 3rd Ward where we resided gave me a most splendid farewell, and on the 2nd of September 1904, I went to Salt Lake City to be set apart and receive such instructions as the authorities saw fit to give me and companion missionaries. Before I left home a number of relatives and friends called at the house and still more at the R. G. W. depot to bid me Godspeed on my mission. But to leave my dear wife in tears, and my three little children who could not know, as they were so young, what it all meant was the greatest trial of my life. The realization of such a parting can never be known except to those who have passed through it. "On arriving at the office of the First Presidency, I was handed two letters: one for President M . F. Sanders of the Samoan Mission and one for myself which read as follows: 12 July 21, 1904 Salt Lake City, Utah Elder Thomas S. Court Dear Brother: Elder Martin F. Sander, having been released from labors to return home, you have been called and appointed to succeed him as president of the Samoan Mission. It will now become your duty to take charge, as president of the mission, all interests therewith, to see that the Gospel is preached, as far as possible throughout the islands where the Elders now labor, and as the Lord shall open the way to sieze any new opportunities which may present themselves for the introduction of the Gospel to regions where it has not yet been preached. In short, we desire you to go forth as a servant of the Lord Jesus Christ, fully equipped for the discharge of every duty connected with your calling and to preside with wisdom and dignity over all the affairs of the Church in those islands; with full power to regulate everything connected therewith, and to make such changes, releases and appointments as may, in your judgment, under the direction of the Spirit of the Lord, be necessary for the welfare, spread, and prosperity of the work of the Lord and the warning of the people in the field where you labor, and over whom you are appointed to preside. And that you may be fully sustained and qualified for these high and responsible labors, we beseech God our Eternal Father, to endow you with power from on high to fill you with His Holy Spirit and all the gifts that pertain to your office 13 and calling; that you may be a blessing and saviour to the children of men in your ministry and carry with you an influence and power that shall be felt for good by all with whom you are brought in contact. It is our earnest desire that you shall be an example in humility, in patience, in long suffering, and in all the gifts and graces of the Gospel, to all men. That your words may be words of the Lord to the people whom you address, and that you may feel that there is a power and spirit accompanying you that is not of man. Praying to God our Eternal Father to bless and qualify you for this work to which you are called, and asking Him to preserve you and yours from the hands of all your enemies, and from every evil during your absence, and bring you home in purity, peace and safety, we remain Your brethren, Joseph F. Smith John R. Winder Anthon H. Lund "In the afternoon, I went to the annex of the Salt Lake Temple, where I was set apart by Apostle Francis M . Lyman, to preside over the Samoan Mission. "Before we left the Temple, President John R. Winder, representing the First Presidency, took me aside and gave me certain instructions in connection with the Samoan Mission. Among other things, he told me that President Samuel E. Wooley of the Hawaiian Mission had been called to Samoa to go with us from Honolulu, and look over with us certain lands then under consideration for purchase; or any other lands, that a suitable place might be purchased to become a gathering place for the native Saints to make their homes. Whatever Presi- 14 dent Wooley would recommend, would be their mind on the matter. "We spent the following day packing books, tracts, and various articles that were being sent to the Islands to the Elders who were laboring there. The next day I was accompanied to Ogden by two former Samoan missionaries and there wives for the purpose of having a visit with Brother George E. Browing, who had presided over the mission in 1893 when I had been there on my first mission. We had a wonderful visit with him. The next day, Sunday, at 2 p.m., I met the rest of the company who was going west and we started our 5,000 mile journey, which took about 3 weeks with many interesting occurrences. We went aboard the S.S. Sierra which left the dock at 2:15 p.m., only 15 minutes late, even though we had been ready for a long time. The vessel was quite well loaded with passengers, so there were many fond and sad farewells. The ship averaged about 370 knots per day, and on the morning of September 14th, arrived in Honolulu, and remained there about 18 hours. We spend the day visiting the Elders and important places, and President S. E. Wooley traveled the remainder of the way to Samoa with us." (Remainder of story told by Florence Court Shields, eldest daughter of Thomas S. Court.) My father, Thomas Court served for nearly four years on the Samoan Mission, during which time he was given Power of Attorney to act for the Presidency of the Church in the purchasing of lands for the Saints to gather. Considering the times and conditions for communication and travel a great deal was accomplished. Some of the building, etc., that was done at the time is still in evidence. Not too long after dad left for his mission, mother gave birth to their fourth son, during which time both 15 mother and baby came near to death. Surely the Lord looks after his own. Dad returned from his mission in July 1908 and went immediately to Canada to visit his family. He returned to Provo and sold their home which he had built on 7th West and 3rd North; moved his family to Canada and purchased a farm in the vicinity of Raymond, Alberta, Canada. Raymond was a small settlement that had been founded by Utah Pioneers, who were sent by the First Presidency to open up and colonize a part of Southern Alberta. The country was barren and flat, and considerably different from the Salt Lake and Utah Lake Valleys. The first crop harvested, was what is known as a bumper crop and after the harvest was over, dad was hired by the Knight Sugar Company as bookkeeper in their office, for the winter months. It turned out to be a long cold winter and having spent four years in the tropics, Dad suffered extremely with the cold. He planted and harvested not as good a crop in 1909. In November of that year, he sold out in Canada and returned with his family to Provo. Through the efforts of his brother-in-law, W. P. Silver, he obtained employment as an engineer for the Sinaloa Land and Fruit Company in Mexico. Mother and their five sons remained in Provo until school closed, then she took the boys and went to Mexico in June 1910. They had quite a struggle in Mexico, because of the heat and the many inconveniences that living in a tent would entail. Snakes of various kinds and sizes seemed to be one of the most objectionable items to contend with, they could be found almost anywhere anytime; stretched across a child's path, curled up on clothes which were removed at night. In February of 1911, the Americans were driven out of Mexico, because of internal strife, and mother and the 16 smaller children left first. Dad and the oldest boy soon followed, but they were held up for 48 hours while a bridge that was burned out was repaired. All of their possessions had to be left behind. Mother's parents, John Orson and Annabell Pratt had left Provo and moved to Trenton, Cache County in 1910; and that is where mother and dad went from Mexico. Dad obtained a job surveying for the West Cache Canal Company, so he purchased a lot and built a small house, and moved his family. Dad was next made principal of the West Cache High School. The following year, he was appointed rural mail carrier for West Cache County, and continued with this until the spring of 1917, when after the death of his father, he returned to Canada to assist mother with her farm. He purchased land of his own and remained in Southern Alberta for 20 years. During their years in Trenton, my mother gave birth to three more children, two boys and a girl, myself, Florence. This bringing the total to eight children. While this narrative is really a history of my father, and his accomplishments and activities, we must not lose sight of the fact that mother worked hard and sacrificed a great deal of time, energy and health, in helping dad achieve his desires, and while dad was in the heart of his family, mother was hundreds of miles from her, and because of the numerous demands made upon her, by us children, her life didn't expand out of our yard far, nor was she able to mix socially very much. These things along with many unnamed difficulties, mother bore and helped overcome without complaining. We children were never made aware of the really rough times we had, in that rough, rugged, sometimes cruel, but to me, wonderful country of Canada and more specifically southern Alberta. During the years in Alberta, dad continued being 17 active in the Church, holding such positions, as teacher in the Raymond First Ward Sunday School, Counselor in the Taylor Stake Sunday School, also working in the M IA and I remember as a small youngster of going to Priesthood meeting with Dad on Sunday morning, and standing or sitting beside him while he taught the class. Dad continued with his surveying, he having been asked to run a survey for the United Irrigation District in the Southwest part of the Providence. Also surveying for the Canadian Pacific Railway, and running some of the lines in the Southeast part of the Province in the Cypress Area, extending into Saskatchewan. He also carried on his trades of bricklaying and carpentering, and helped build homes in the town of Raymond. Also, many people remember him as the man who layed the first cement sidewalks in Raymond, and for having one of the first steam engines used for threshing, as well as pulling nine plows or nine discs behind it at a time, he did for Brother Knight, one spring, before putting in grain crop. In the spring of 1926, Dad and some of the older boys went to a new irrigation project which was being opened up for colonization, situated north of Lethbridge across the Old Man River. The project was called "The Lethbridge Northern Irrigation District," and took in quite a sizeable tract of what had become poor dry land farming, and where a good coal mining area had seen more prosperous years. The town near where dad acquired 160 acres of irrigable land, was 13 miles north of Lethbridge and called Diamond City, so named because of the coal which had been extracted from the ground. The town was fast folding up and homes were being moved to other locations, but the surrounding farming acres were being taken over and soon homes were being built. The next spring, mother and we younger ones moved 18 to the Northern, as it was called, and there we started a new life again, and it wasn't the easiest job i n the world. There had been enough of the Latter-day Saints move close to Diamond City, for the Lethbridge ward to organize a dependent branch. However, in 1929, when the Stake Presidency formed the branch into a ward, they called it the Diamond Ward, and appointed dad as the first bishop, which position he held until the fall of 1935, when he resigned to move to Cardston, to work in the Temple there. There was a great deal of hard work to the job of opening up new land and irrigating it, besides building a house and the necessary buildings; as well as planting windbreaks of trees, for the wind really blows in that country. However, with everyone doing his or her share end with the blessings of the Lord, we got along as well as anyone during the depression. With the advent of irrigation came the growing of sugar beets and alfalfa hay. Also we could have a vegetable garden, and grow strawberries and raspberries. While being a bishop and carrying on with the numerous duties that position entails, dad was chairman for the Diamond City Local, Lethbridge Northern Beet Growers Association, during the early 1930's. Even as a bishop, dad didn't forego being an active missionary for I recall that at three different times he served as a stake missionary, and left home for two, week terms and one six week term, in the middle of winter. From the time I was taken to the Albert a Temple in Cardston and was baptized, I knew that dad was a diligent genealogy worker; and as often as was possible, while we lived i n Raymond, mother and dad made the then long journey to the Temple. Afte r we moved to Diamond City, and the transportation methods were improved, dad planned and carried out excursions to the Temple. 19 In July 1935, all of the children were married, except the three youngest who were born in Raymond, they being two boys and one girl, bringing the total to eleven children, nine boys and two girls. Dad had wanted to work again in the Temple so the farm was left for some of the boys to operate and mother, with the three children, went with him to live near the Temple. Dad was soon one of the regular officiators, doing the work he dearly loved, with a man who had been on the Samoan Islands, at the same time dad was there. This man was Ed. J. Wood, president of the Alberta Temple. In 1938, Dad suffered a slight stroke causing almost complete loss of hearing, which made it necessary for him to give up Temple work. So mother with the three younger children came back to Provo and established themselves by obtaining employment and going to school. As soon as dad settled his affairs in Cardston and Diamond City, he followed, and here they are living today. Dad stayed as active as his impaired hearing would permit, but it was soon evident that because he could not participate as actively in the church as he had done all of his life, he was losing interest in what was happening, The world was moving too quickly, with many changes taking place, and to a person who can't hear, what he sees doesn't make much sense. So now he sits, in his sunset years, watching time and people pass his window without really hearing or seeing them, but living in a very real world of his own, full of memories, of people, places and work in the Gospel so dear to his heart. A man who lived for the Gospel and loved people, who can't remember either, but continues to read a great deal, and is happy when he sees a familiar face, but those too are fading from his memory. But he stiU reads, lectures and converses with his now unseen friends; and who is to say but that he is happy. Death came to him September 23,1957. He was buried September 27, 1957 in the Provo City Cemetery. 20

Life timeline of Thomas S. Court

Thomas S. Court was born on 4 Mar 1871
Thomas S. Court was 10 years old when The world's first international telephone call is made between St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada, and Calais, Maine, United States. A telephone call is a connection over a telephone network between the called party and the calling party.
See More
Thomas S. Court was 23 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
See More
Thomas S. Court was 33 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
See More
Thomas S. Court was 41 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
See More
Thomas S. Court was 58 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
See More
Thomas S. Court was 60 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
See More
Thomas S. Court was 70 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa. Nazi Germany is the common English name for Germany between 1933 and 1945, when Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party (NSDAP) controlled the country through a dictatorship. Under Hitler's rule, Germany was transformed into a totalitarian state that controlled nearly all aspects of life via the Gleichschaltung legal process. The official name of the state was Deutsches Reich until 1943 and Großdeutsches Reich from 1943 to 1945. Nazi Germany is also known as the Third Reich, from German Drittes Reich, meaning "Third Realm" or "Third Empire", the first two being the Holy Roman Empire and the German Empire. The Nazi regime ended after the Allied Powers defeated Germany in May 1945, ending World War II in Europe.
See More
Thomas S. Court died on 23 Sep 1957 at the age of 86
Grave record for Thomas S. Court (4 Mar 1871 - 23 Sep 1957), BillionGraves Record 25532 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States