Thelma M. Calder

12 Mar 1938 - 13 Jan 1947

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Thelma M. Calder

12 Mar 1938 - 13 Jan 1947
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

EDGAR HAGUE (TED) CALDER AUGUST 31, 1893-AUGUST 28 1958 Written by Daughter Valene Calder Hubbard 1996 Minor arranging by Grandson Val Hubbard 2014 According to information in Aunt Lillian Calder Salisbury’s history, my father, Edgar Hague Calder, fifth child of David George and Elizabeth Hague Ca
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Thelma M. Calder
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Thelma M. Calder


Orem Cemetery

1520 North 800 East
Orem, Utah, Utah
United States

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Thelma M....

We found more records about Thelma M. Calder.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Thelma M.


Thelma M. Calder is buried in the Orem Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Edgar H Calder History

Contributor: trishkovach Created : 4 years ago Updated : 4 years ago

EDGAR HAGUE (TED) CALDER AUGUST 31, 1893-AUGUST 28 1958 Written by Daughter Valene Calder Hubbard 1996 Minor arranging by Grandson Val Hubbard 2014 According to information in Aunt Lillian Calder Salisbury’s history, my father, Edgar Hague Calder, fifth child of David George and Elizabeth Hague Calder was born in the ‘old house.’ This was on a beautiful summer day, August 31, 1893. He weighed ten pounds, and he was teased a bit through the years being told he didn’t grow too much after birth. (His average weight as an adult was 125 pounds). My grandparents lived in one side of the duplex home on the corner of second avenue and C Street, Salt Lake City, Utah. It was built for my grandfather David Orson Calder’s two wives. On the lot there was also a large rock barn, with a library in the upper part. This barn burned one night, much to everyone’s sorrow. When the banks failed this fine property was lost, and my grandparents then moved to a home on 4th south in the tenth ward. Grandpa wanted to buy this home, but a neighbor woman killed her husband. My grandmother was superstitious and wanted to move. They then moved to “F” street between first and second avenues for about a year. Aunt Lillian said ‘Ted,’ whom she called “Teddy” to tease him, saved the life of a little girl named Susie Obry who had fallen in a ditch across the street. He was about five years old then. The last home they moved to in Salt Lake they purchased at 945 South 700 east, across from the Liberty Park. It had 8 rooms, 2 hallways, a large pantry and a bathroom they added. After the family moved to Provo Bench (now City of Orem) in 1905, the home rented for $16 per month. Apparently my father didn’t start school at age six, as he was three years behind the normal age for the fourth grade I have records for. In Salt Lake City he attended Hamilton School, at least for the fourth grade. His teacher was Jessie Harroun, Principal W. W. Barton, and D. H. Christensen was superintendent of Schools. In 1905 after the move to Provo Bench he was in the sixth grade and attended Lincoln School. His teacher for the sixth grade and also the seventh was H. M. Aird, who was also the principal. Lars Eggertsen was County Superintendent. My father wasn’t an ‘A’ student, though he received good grades. Spelling though seems to have given him a bit of trouble for a while. One of my father’s toys was an iron fire engine, with iron horses and a bell. There is still a small remnant of it around. Another of his valued possessions was a small scratch pen, made from tin instead of the usual wood. He had asked me not to take the pen, but I did so, and lost it on the way to school. I could not find it on the road. I have never forgotten that incident. He was good at parlor games like Pick-up-sticks, (the old balsa wood ones in different shapes and picked up with a tiny wire hook on the end of a short stick), Pit, Cribbage, Checkers. I don’t know if he played chess, but imagine he did. When we played games as a family on winter evenings, it seems he usually won. Many parties were held in our home for my parent’s friends. They had a great time playing games. I remember his Pierce Arrow bicycle with its narrow tires, like those of today. It still worked well enough that he took Vance and I for rides on it, and even took me to school on it. I guess I didn’t have time to walk and be on time. He spent an enjoyable year attending the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. It is my understanding he lived with the Walker’s. I thought they were related. The relationship goes like this: my grandmother Calder’s brother George married Angelina Snelgrove, but they were divorced a few years later. Angelina worked for Mr. Walker and eventually married him. My grandmother kept in touch and visited often with and her daughter Lena who never married. From the letters my father wrote home he must have been a bit homesick, however. One dance he attended was the Foot Ball Dance ASUU. Friday November 24, 1911, Oden. Apparently the football team did well as they won 4 games, tied one and lost one—to Colorado. The dance numbers listed are: Oceana Roll, Spring Maid, Sparkling Eyes, The rage, Who are You With Tonight?, A Chocolate Soldier, That Antiquated Rag, Swedish Pete-Barn Dance, Chicken Reel (by request), The Pink Lady, That Beautiful Rag, The Vision of Salome, A Sugar Moon-barn dance, A Dream, Just a Dream, The Bachelor Knights, Hampton, Hamilton, Holmstead and Good Night Dears. In 1913 he stayed closer to home and attended BYU for at least 6 months. He was absent quite a bit, so his grades weren’t all that great. Even though he was twenty years of age his parents had to sign his report card. He apparently attended a couple of ‘Balls’ at the BYU: Ragout Ball and Punch All Ball. He danced the Fox Trot, the Two Step and waltz’ quite well. I remember the only dance when I danced with my father. He taught me how to dance the Fox Trot. He also taught me the rudiments of the Charleston when I was ten or eleven. It was popular at the time. Apparently ‘Ted’ was well liked by the young ladies of the ward, as well as by his male friends. In 1915 he made a trip to the Los Angeles/Long Beach CA area. My grandmother had relatives living in that area. Many of his friends wrote to him saying they missed him and most of them wanted him to bring them mementos from there. My father really enjoyed sports activities and was one of the lightweight participants. He was a good sprinter. I remember, also, how he could stand on his hands and walk that way. I envied him this talent. He sprained his wrist later when he fell off a ladder he was testing out after repairing it. He could not do hand walking any more. He and a group of friends got together and formed a sports club called the ‘Alegresso.’ Their gym was one room of the river bottom house, which Uncle D. O. Calder built, and later was our family home from 1919 until November 1926. They spent many happy hours there wrestling and boxing. Basketball and baseball teams were also formed in the area and they competed with other Utah County teams. There was a real good-natured rivalry between the Orem (Sharon) team and the Vineyard team that lasted for many years. Both were mighty good teams. Members of the Sharon ward even had wrestling matches among their members, and it was held in the lower floor of the church building. My father, at 125 pounds was in the ‘light’ weight class. The program I have doesn’t say if he won his bouts. Later he belonged to the James G. Stratton Fruit Company sponsored baseball team. As well as physical sports, he also enjoyed hunting and fishing. He always looked forward to the deer hunt each year, a climax to hard summer’s work, though the work went on with the sorting and selling of the fall apple crop. The deer meat helped the family budget, (I think?). In 1918 the first Scout Troop was organized and my father became the first Scoutmaster. In 1916 he was made aware of a certain beautiful young lady in the ward. Her name was Melba Vance. She had a close friend, May Newell. Both of them loved to dance, so were to most of the dances in the area. '‘Ted and his close friend LeEarl would also be there and managed to take the girls home. Finally Melba and May rebelled and said if the ‘boys’ couldn’t ‘take’ them to the dances they couldn’t take them home either. They had ‘dates’ from then on. My mother’s sister Nina and George Stratton were married in the summer of 1917. Uncle George told my father how wonderful it was to be married, so ‘Ted’ decided to ask my grandparents for permission to marry Melba. Since my mother wasn’t eighteen yet, my grandmother Vance rode with them to Salt Lake on the train. They stayed all night with relatives, then each received their endowment and were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple, December 12, 1917. Grandma Vance came home, but Ted and Melba stayed over for a one-night honeymoon. Friends waiting to greet tem at the depot had to wait another day to have a wedding supper and wish them well. I was their first child, Dorathy Valene, born September 2, 1918, in the family home. They made up my name from the word Valentine. They didn’t know the name was already in existence. Edgar Vance arrived two years later in the home of my grandfather and grandmother Vance, September 1, 1920, though his birth certificate lists it as the second. Another September baby, Robert Bruce was born in our home in the river bottoms, September 12, 1923. David Grant broke the September pattern and was born May 20, 1927. Two years later on June 17, 1928 Melba June was born. This seemed to be the extent of the family, but the Lord had other plans and two sweet sisters were added to the family. Thelma Mae was born March 12, 1938 and Matilda Beth, named for both grandmothers, on February 22, 1941. These two, who loved each other so much, the last to be born, were the first to leave the family as well. Matilda Beth drowned in the canal that runs through the property north of the house on May 13, 1943. It took my parents a long time to feel peace. After a long struggle with rheumatic fever, Thelma returned to our Heavenly Father January 13, 1947. A Motel ‘T' Ford truck was purchased in 1919. I don’t remember when the original bed of the truck wore out, but my father built a new one for it. Being able to construct things was one of his talents, and all three boys inherited the same talent. The seat bed of the truck was used many times I understand, for me to take naps on, as my father would take me with him to irrigate, etc. my mother told me. After my Uncle Harold returned from service in the Navy during the First World War, the farm was mortgaged to buy a new Nash touring car for him, as an incentive for him to stay and work with Grandpa and my father. However, he didn’t feel inclined to do so and the farm inherited the Nash along with it’s debt. The farm would not have supported three families. A few years later we went to the home of my Aunt Angie and Uncle in Draper for Thanksgiving. We had an enjoyable time, but it started to snow before we left and continued to snow very hard. I don’t recall the top still being in very good shape, so trying to keep dry somehow and my father trying to see the road to drive the twenty miles home were quite a challenge. I don’t recall another car on the road. Home looked mighty good that night, even if we were already cold and had to walk into a cold house. The Nash was even used as a pickup truck for a while, as I remember, until a new ¾ ton Chevrolet truck was purchased in 1934. My Aunt Tillie and Uncle Ray were invited to our home for a venison dinner one Sunday. They weren’t told it was a venison roast. After the meal Aunt Tillie made the comment that that was the best beef roast she had ever eaten. My father really got a kick out of that! Aunt Tillie made, or cooked great roast beef dinners herself. One year our family and other families, all friends, went to Strawberry Reservoir for a nice vacation. All were farmers. That was just before I started school in 1924. Bob was a year old. These friends also enjoyed a trip to Fish Lake, I believe. One September, 1930 I believe, for a vacation after the peaches, pears and prunes were all sold we took off for Fish Lake. Near Gunnison the driving pin fell out of the old Nash and we miraculously landed upright across the barrow pit on the side of the road. Some Wolf River apples we had put on the ledge of the back seat were jostled around a bit, as we were, but stayed there. Our first night and early morning were spent in the garage owner’s vacant building. The owner was really a fine person and didn’t take advantage of our situation. We did get to the lake and enjoyed (?) white caps on the lake, etc. my father was blessed to be able to get us safely back to shore through the white caps that day. It was a bit cool, as well, and the warm cabin and supper were enjoyed so very much. I don’t remember how many fish were caught, but they were most likely a little more expensive, possibly than the deer meat. My father liked to tease. He didn’t like to be teased, but my Aunt Lillian teased him all she could. Aunt Catherine called him ‘Fritz.’ I never learned why that nickname. We had a dog by that name. My father had a good time teasing Aunt Tillie when she put a henna rinse on her hair and it turned a bright orange color. One Sunday Aunt Catherine and my grandmother came to visit one time, and unknown to Aunt Catherine my father put a rubber pillow on her chair under the regular pillow. It resembled an inner tube. When she sat down the air was pushed out and it made the most embarrassing sound. (I had thought the incident was just the reverse, but Vance corrected me). The following however did happen to my father. One of our chairs (we really had none to spare) was much in need of repairs. My mother had mentioned it a number of times. One day, we were waiting, as usual for my father to come to the table so we could have the blessing and eat. When ‘daddy’ sat down on the chair, it completely collapsed. We rather held our breath for a few seconds, then really had a good laugh, as he started to laugh, also. The chair was not repairable. I understand my father was in the first group to climb Mt. Timpanogos from the Provo Canyon side of the mountain. Years later, in 1934, we as a family and some cousins hiked to the top in the annual hike held in July. This was a most memorable experience. It started to rain so was a bit cool. We couldn’t come down the usual route, down the glacier, so had to come down the long way with the rangers. Daddy carried June, 5 on his shoulders. The rangers found two people on the trail badly in need of help. They carried the young girl down. Aunt Tillie and Uncle Ray Elliott were at Aspen Grove with us. We had tents so we could sleep overnight. There was a program the evening before the hike Aunt Tillie had a delicious meal prepared for us when we got back, wet and weary. We went the next year also, but not the whole family as before. June received the award for being the youngest to make the hike the previous year. She had her picture taken with the oldest man to make the hike to the top. It was printed in the paper. My father worked hard on the farms along with his father. I don’t know how it would be to work with your parent as a married adult and have to go to him for all your needs. In one letter that Grandpa Calder wrote to ‘Daddy’ reads more like he was talking to a child. My grandfather died in 1926 and my father then had full responsibility of the farm. My mother felt he worked too hard during his young years, and during the First World War, working day and many nights irrigating, spraying, cultivating, harvesting and all that goes along with caring for fruit orchards and alfalfa fields on four different farms. (Many were away to the War). He also had charge of the Liberty Bond drive for the First World War. Farm work, did become a bit easier as the boys became old enough to help and an Allis Chalmers tractor and new truck were purchased. Also, the one piece of farmland known as the “Irons” place was deeded to my Uncle Jack in the early 1930’s. In conjunction with his farming activities he acted as watermaster for the Provo Reservoir Water Users Association for 40 years. One year the cows got out and ate apples stored in the barn. There were so many apples some of them were put there (In the barn). Three of the cows died. June didn’t especially like housework, so she helped outside with the farm work, driving the tractor, etc., while the boys were in the service of Uncle Sam during WWII. My father’s integrity was ‘A’ plus when it came to the sale of the fruit. His customers knew that the fruit in the bottom of the basket was the same quality they could see on the top. One time they had to purchase some pears from someone else to fill their orders. When they dumped the fruit into the customer’s containers, out rolled these small pears. My father wouldn’t go to the seller, but my ordinarily calm mother was so upset she went to the party and told them off. This ‘party’ thought everyone did that—it was just the thing to do. My mom was upset because she sorted most of the fruit that was sold. When my father had small fruit or culls he sold them as such. We had two large Bing cherry trees, along with others of normal size. My father hated to prune those trees back, but they finally grew so tall we couldn’t pick the cherries, even climbing the tree. Besides, it wasn’t much fun trying to pick the cherries that high up in the air, swaying a bit in the light breeze you could feel that high. My son Gary remembers how Grandpa got upset one time because the load of fruit wasn’t ready to go to Vernal when he thought it should be. His temper was a thorn in his side for many years of his life, but he was able to master it very well as he became closer to the Lord. I couldn’t blame him for getting upset at the cows. They were rather ornery critters at times. I don’t know just how long it was, but he was bookkeeper for my Uncle George Stratton. During the construction of the Utah Power and Light Company Hale plant at the mouth of Provo Canyon my father worked at something he really cared about—as an engineer. He also worked on the surveyor’s crew for Utah Pomeroy Morrison Company during the construction of the Geneva Steel Plant. He gained friends there who were from other parts of the United States. One couple lived in their trailer home under the trees across the canal. January 3, 1939 he was appointed to the office of Deputy County Field Assessor. He really enjoyed this work, too. It most likely took him longer than most as he enjoyed visiting with people. He became a good friend to the Syrian and Lebanese families in the area. They were fine people. Martha Sawaya and Mary Reesha were two of my classmates and friends. He worked in the Elder’s quorum, and possibly other callings when I was young, which I don’t know about. He was the first secretary of the Sharon Stake YMMIA. Later, he enjoyed serving as ward clerk for 8 years. It was great for him to be able to work with members of the Bishopric whom he loved and respected. He was a good Gospel Doctrine teacher. From notes he kept he studied well for this calling. Two winters our family lived in the Stratton home on State Street and west Center in Orem while Uncle George and Aunt Nina and family spent the time in California. That home eventually became the home for the supervisor of the L.D.S. Bishops Storehouse built on the East of the property. There was a large potato storage area on the East of the property. It was a very nice home for that day. We were living there on November 11, 1926 the day my grandfather Calder died. That was the first time I remembering ever seeing my father cry. Besides being a ‘whiz’ at things mathematical and being able to build things, he had the talent to make people laugh as he took part in the ward and community productions and plays. One ward play in particular, that I remember was especially humorous to me. I would give him his cues when he was learning his part, so I learned most of the play myself. On the night of the performance I laughed until tears rolled down my cheeks—he ad-libbed so much of it. However, he always managed to give the other players the right cues. Everyone else laughed too, but most likely wondered why I laughed extra hard. When he took the part of the ‘Chick Young Thing’ who just happened to ‘drop in’ at a ward function he was really something dressed in my mother’s old chiffon dress and wrinkled hose, wearing some old wig. It was most likely a Halloween one. He told one joke one of the times that I’ve never forgotten, nor have the children of Mr. Kitchen. Mr. Kitchen was from Jewish background. “One night Sammy came home and his wife Edith was rocking the baby, singing ‘by lo, by lo.’ Sammy, who was tongue-tied, replied with his lisp, ‘That’s right Edith, you teach him to buy low and I’ll teach him to sell high.’” It brought the house down, at the saying goes. He and my father did remain friends. He was Mr. Interlocutor for the Orem Chamber of Commerce Minstrel. (He was also Chamber Secretary). It was a great production and took a lot of time and effort. Today, 1996, you wouldn’t be allowed to put on such a production. My father, David and Vance grew beards for the 1947 Pioneer Centennial celebration. Dad was the spittin’ image of Gabby Hayes with his beard and minus his teeth. My mother and father eventually did skits together, to the delight of the ward members. One time my mother carried him physically off the stage, much to his consternation. She thought three bows was enough. The audience really roared, thinking it was part of the act. He didn’t speak to my mother for two days. “Daddy” could even cook for special occasions. He made great oyster stew and chili. My folk’s friends always seemed to enjoy coming to our home for their parties, though it wasn’t as modern as most of the friends homes. One Halloween thy all came in costume. It was a really fun party. Daddy dressed up (really a riot), then slid down the porch support pole, knocked on the door and I let him in. it took the group a long time to figure out who it was. He finally spoke in his natural voice, then they knew. I remember one moonlight winter night when I was about 6, and still lived in the river bottoms the group had a sledding party. It was ideal weather and the snow was just right for sleigh riding down the hill from the house. No lanterns were needed. It was a gorgeous night. Daddy tried to make Valentine’s Day special for me. I usually didn’t receive too many Valentines. He would drop the Valentine on the porch from the upstairs porch. They were keepsakes Valentines and he tried to disguise his signature, but I knew whom they were from. I really appreciated the Valentines and still have them. My father did all the shopping for groceries and most of the clothing when we were young. At Christmas time he waited until Christmas Eve to buy the Christmas tree and most likely most of the gifts. I remember going with him one time to Provo. ‘Santa’ was having a good time visiting with friends in the store—no other children beside myself anywhere to be seen. ‘Santa’ looked at me a bit awkwardly. After we were in bed and asleep the tree would be set up and decorated and gifts put in their respective places. Christmas day was usually spent with the Calder side of the family, and Thanksgiving with the Vance relatives. One Christmas day, however, was a little sad for us. Daddy had the flu and was really sick and delirious. His friend LeEarl Burr came to see him and laughed. He either thought it was funny the crazy things Daddy was imagining or he was embarrassed and didn’t know how to act. That year Uncle Harold was our ‘Santa’. Don’t know if my mother got to go with him, but don’t think so. Anyway, gift-wise it was very nice. When we were living in the river bottoms I remember one cold morning seeing daddy come in from doing the chores with a mustard plaster on his chest. He had quinsy so bad he had to crawl back to the house. It is terribly painful, I understand. He had very bad teeth, which most likely didn’t help him health-wise. He was finally able to have them pulled and get his dentures when he was nearly 50. He bought his first pair of glasses about the same time. He kept a diary for a few weeks, along with an account of the weather for the same period. They had frost late in the year. He writes of going to Sunday School and Sunday School Union meeting, but nothing about Sacrament meetings in the evening. I guess we didn’t get there too often when we children were young. We always had the blessing at mealtime, and we were taught to say our prayers. I don’t remember family prayers while I was at home. When I was a teenager he said he would give me $25 if I would read the Bible through. I never did earn the money, though. I don’t know when he started paying tithing regularly. I feel he always had a testimony, but it really became strengthened as he served in his church callings. He and my mother had their Patriarchal Blessings in 1948. It was a special time for my parents when they were called to fill a mission for Orem Stake in 1957. My mother finished the term of their mission after my father died. My father was always proud of his family heritage. Both the Calder family and the Hague family were pioneers. He and his father were both good in art, and I have always felt badly to think he wasn’t able to pursue this talent more fully. Like my grandfather there just didn’t seem to be enough time along with everything else that had to be done and other things they enjoyed doing. Grandson Gary Hubbard remembers Grandpa used to feed their dog, Chris at the table, not to my mother’s delight, however. Chris was allowed in the house. There were many other dogs acquired in previous years in one way or another, but they were strictly to be outside. The dog we three older siblings enjoyed was named Fritz as I recall. He used to go with me to get the cows from the river bottoms pasture. He would go round them up and bring them to the gate for me. We really cried when someone poisoned him. It was most likely a neighbor who didn’t have dogs and apparently didn’t like them. My father always wanted to do things well and wanted the same for we children as well. When Leo and I and the children were living in Nebraska my father decided to write me a letter, and of course wanted it without mistakes. However, my mother said she finally got tired of seeing the unfinished letter waiting to be finished. So she finished it and sent it to me. A family friend, Bill Berry said that one day when he came out my father was ironing some greenbacks. I guess they were left in his pants pocket and went through the wash. I guess that is a bit different than the usual term “money laundering.” The year he was 55 years of age he didn’t feel too great. He just didn’t have any energy. My grandfather Calder died from cancer, and he was afraid he had cancer also. . He was told everything was fine, except he had the heart of a 90-year old man. It made my father feel badly when Val and I came to visit from Lincoln and he couldn’t pick Val up or carry him. Dr. Westwood told him he had to keep going or he would die lying in bed. This was a blessing for he was appointed Orem City Treasurer and worked at something he really loved. He was able to work there for the last ten years of his life. He was able to help people in a personal way as well as in a professional way. He was able to enjoy many activities associated with being a member of the City work force. My mother also enjoyed some of the activities as well. Grandson Gary Hubbard remembers how much fun it was to be able to go to the City Hall to see Grandpa. August 28 1958 was a beautiful late summer day. My father went to work at the City office. The rest of the family spent a very busy day picking, sorting and loading the truck with peaches to be taken to customers in Vernal, Utah. Everyone was so tired by the time everything was done that my father, who felt really well that day treated them to dinner at Bill and Iva’s Café, the favorite place to eat out at that time. Grandson Bruce was visiting during that time. After enjoying time with the family the Lord saw fit to call him home. He died of a heart attack that evening. The doctor had told them he would not die from a heart attack, but from something else. A viewing was held the night before the services. We stood in line for 4 hours there were so many that came to express their love. Many who came, like Mrs. Keeler, we hadn’t seen for a number of years. Funeral services were held in the Sharon Ward chapel on my birthday anniversary, 2 September 1958. The chapel was filled to overflowing with family and friends. I remember as we were in the limousine getting ready to go to the cemetery I looked out and saw Mrs. Bird, a neighbor to my parents, walking to the sidewalk really crying. Daddy had befriended and counseled with her, which she greatly appreciated.

Melba Vance Calder History

Contributor: trishkovach Created : 4 years ago Updated : 4 years ago

THE HAPPENINGS OF THE PAST WHICH I DO AND DON’T REMEMBER BY MELBA VANCE CALDER With additions by her Daughter Valene C Hubbard and Grandson Val Hubbard I was born at home, in Provo, Utah County, Utah on February 4, 1900, so I will be 100 years old in the year 2000. I wish to express my appreciation to my dear father and mother for their willingness to bring children into the world. I was the ninth child and seventh daughter, 2 more daughters arriving on the 30th of June 1902 (Bernice), and Lorene on the 1st day of January 1905, making 11 children. I must have kept my first estate to have had the privilege of being born of such wonderful parents and having brothers and sisters who have many gifts and talents. I recall one day mother had ladies in to quilt and I ‘acted up,’ as the saying goes. I was just 2 at the time. Mother said she couldn’t understand it for I was always so happy and good-natured. I guess I wanted to be noticed. Another time mother was peeling potatoes and I asked for one, but she said she needed them all to cook, so I sat down on the step and pouted. Just then father came home and said, “What’s the matter with my little girl?” and he picked me up in his arms, threw me into the air several times and kissed me and I forgot to pout any more. Father taught us many, many songs and I still can remember them. When I was in the 1st grade at B.Y. Training School, I was asked to sing with 2 other girls for parents visiting day. We sang, “Hurrah! For the Red, White and Blue,” and we had flags to wave. Mother made me a beautiful red dress, and one girl had a white dress and one had a blue dress. Mother and father were there to witness the event. Miss Hermese Peterson was the teacher. When I was in the third grade I wrote a story. Nina thought it was pretty good, also my teacher, Miss Elizabeth Lindsey, so it was published in the Y News. At that time the B.Y.U. Paper was called, “The White and Blue.” How proud I was. I also had a poem published that same year. I attended the B.Y. Training School until the 5th grade. Besides Miss Lindsey and Miss Peterson, I had Miss Gilchrist and Mr. Karl G. Maeser Jr. I loved school so very much and remember reciting poems etc. at many parent day occasions, also singing, as Karl G. Maeser Jr. taught us many songs. It didn’t take me very long to learn to read and the older children said I always could be found with a book in my hand reading. I had a good friend and pal to play with, Thelma Eggertsen, and I loved her so much and was over there at her home so much. One day I asked mother to let me go over, and she said, “No, I was over there too much.” I coaxed and coaxed and she said “No.” Finally I went in the bedroom and prayed that mother would let me go over and this time she said “yes.” The first letter I ever received was from father, as he was away teaching school in Thistle. I was 7 years old. It was such a thrill to get a letter of my own, and such a wonderful letter, and I could read it all by myself, too. Tillie and Ray used to give me so many presents and wonderful gifts. I remember especially the beautiful doll. I loved it so very much and enjoyed it for a long time, but some boys broke my doll one day and just about broke my heart too. I didn’t dare to tell Tillie and Ray for a long time afterward. I used to get the younger ones to play school with me. I was always the teacher, of course. There were Bernice and Lorene, and Jeralee and Clay, Angie’s children who were living with us. We did arithmetic, reading, spelling and singing. I would fix chairs for their desks. I may have taught them something, who knows? When I was 8 years old I was to be baptized and I was just going out the door to go, when mother was called to go over to the neighbors. I was so disappointed, but found out later the lady had a baby and mother had to help her get it. I waited until March 22, 1908 and was baptized then, in the small font next to the tabernacle. When I was around 10 years of age I started to take piano lessons from Ida Evans. I took just a few, then money got scarce, so I had to tell her I couldn’t take them any more. But she said I had done so well and had such a lot of promise (whatever that means), she wouldn’t charge me anything. I know I cried, and she did too, but I had to stop, but determined to go on by myself. (1) Father helped me and I never gave up wanting to play the piano and the organ too, and have been organist for all the organizations in the church, and chorister also, but of course would have done better with more training. I can remember going on picnics and having glorious times. On one occasion we were traveling in the surrey to the lake at Geneva for a swim and picnic and were going thru some swampy ground when Clay fell out of the buggy and the back wheels went over his body and frightened us nearly to death, but it didn't hurt him at all for he went right down in the soft mud. That was one time a swamp came in handy. We were grateful all was well. I played with Clay and loved him very much, but one day I was teasing him and holding him down and wouldn’t let him go, when all of a sudden some force took hold of me and I let him go—I have never forgotten this experience, and I know there is another world and power beyond our control. I think I was 9 and Clay was 6 years old. This is something I can never forget and a testimony of a love and concern for every soul born into this world. We sometimes think we are not of much worth, but every human soul is important and has a place in the universe. I was 10 years old when Clay died from peritonitis, (2) and I can remember it very well, and how terrible we all felt. I had a feeling Clay would come back and talk to me, and when I told Angie how I felt, she said, “Oh how she wished he could come back and talk to her, for she would be so glad if he could.” I didn’t understand then, but I do now after losing loved ones, you long for them to come back to you, if only for a moment. We moved out to the farm on the “Bench,” as it was called then, when I was around 12 years of age. Mrs. Cunningham came from the East and taught at the old Sharon school where father was principal, and I was in her class. Every student loved her very much for she was an excellent teacher and she taught here in Orem for many years. She also taught me when I was in the Eighth grade. She always had me ‘recite,’ when the school trustees visited our class. Sometimes she had me read some chapters out of the book she was reading to us in the first 30 minutes of class each day. Father taught me in the 6th and 7th grades at school, and these 2 years I enjoyed and loved so very much. Some children say they do not like to go to school, but I can really say I loved school all my school days. Aunt Marintha (4) had a big family of boys, and mother had girls, and occasionally we would visit at their home in American Fork, and then they would visit us. What good times we would have. Mother made 2 gallons of ice cream frequently to supply everyone. We also loved to go to Alpine where we had many cousins. These good times will never be forgotten. We attended Cousin Inez Clark and Edward Burgess’ wedding supper. Three groups partook of a huge wedding feast. I can’t remember how many there were there. I attended Lincoln High for one year, then attended the B.Y. High for one year. Nina paid for me to take vocal lessons from Professor Reid for that year at B.Y.U. High. I stayed with Aunt Lucy (5) during the week days, then came home for the week ends. I rode the “Orem” interurban train back and forth—sometimes my friend Ted Calder would take me in his buggy. I learned many of the hymns by memory, for always before we ate breakfast we would sing a hymn and then kneel in family prayer. We would gather around the piano in the evenings and sing for hours together. Mother made red pleated dresses for the girls and father taught them to dance the Scottish dance, “The Highland Fling.” Mother and Nina visited California at the time of the fair in 1915, I think it was, and the younger girls stayed home with father. (Poor father!). Mother didn’t forget us on the 4th of July, but sent us some dresses she had made in California. One sister, Dora, had also made some so we were well fitted out to go out on dates. I always went with Zola so she wouldn’t have to go alone, so I started to date early, but I was big enough, for I was bigger than Zola who was four years older than I. We had good times together. The boys marveled at mother, for she would joke with them and they enjoyed it. I helped father on the farm hauling hay, picking fruit, etc. One Sunday at church I met Ted Calder. I had a good pal named May Newell, and we had good times together. Ted and LeEarl Burr would always take us home from the dances but never escort us there, so we made up our minds to say “No” when they asked to take us home. After this happened just once, they always escorted us to the dances, etc, with the horse and buggy, that is. In the year 1917 my sister Angie decided to marry James (Jim) Rawlins; 27 June 1917. Then that September my sister Nina married James George Stratton. I guess it gave Ted and me the fever, as the saying goes, so on December 12, 1917 Edgar Hague (Ted) Calder and I were married in the Salt Lake Temple by Joseph Christensen. Mother accompanied us there. I was 17 at that time. It wasn’t long until we were blessed with children, first, a girl Valene, then Vance, Robert (Bob), David, June, Thelma and Beth. Ted was very active in church positions, mostly as a teacher, and I was chorister r organist. We were in plays also, when time permitted. A fruit farm takes many hours of hard labor, with all the family having many tasks to do, but it was a happy life. I have sung solos many times at funerals and at church meetings. I also sang with my sisters. One year five of us sang in the Salt Lake Tabernacle. Sister Florence Madsen directed, with Melba Pyne directing our stake chorus in preparation to go. There were Tillie, Nina, Zola, (Zola was organist of the Stake Chorus), Bernice and myself.(6) We have a picture of the chorus in our dark skirts and white blouses. It was thrilling to see President McKay so near. Whenever my brother Ronald came around, we always begged him to sing. He had a most beautiful voice and he always gave freely of his talents. I can remember John A. or Jack, as we called him, whenever he came home he would pick me up, toss me in the air and recite this poem: “Only Melb, only Mob, only sweetest little dob.” I was smaller at that time. He used to recite many poems for us. Mother brought home, Mary, my cousin, Aunt Eunice’s baby to take care of as Aunt Eunice had died. We were the same age, but Mary wouldn’t take the bottle. My family always kidded me by saying it didn’t seem to hurt me any, for I’m just a little on the husky side. Grandfather Jesse B. Martin died in 1908, and my parents let me take the younger children down to grandmas home to view grandpa in his casket and visit grandmother. We were a little awed to see him that way. I was 8 at the time. When mother took me down to grandmas house I always played with a little brass bucket she had, so when I was 8 years old she gave it to me and told me to always keep it. Sister Sadie said she would give me a great deal of money for it, but I’ve held on to it as a keepsake. (7) Aunt Fronie and Uncle Orson Twelves lived in Provo, and I can remember many happy associations with them and their family and also Aunt Eunice & Uncle Roz Ferry’s family. My mother and my sister Bernice, the nurse, have helped me at the birth of my children and I express my deepest appreciation and thanks and love to them for this kindness and help, and other kindnesses; also to all my brother and sisters who have been so good to me; to father and friends and neighbors and relatives who have influenced my life for good. Ted sold our fruit in Vernal for many years and I have gone out and met the people. They are wonderful people there, a very friendly community. In 1929 a group of friends got together and organized a club, now known as the Orem Literary Club. I can’t begin to describe the happiness and joy this association has meant to me through the years. So many outstanding club programs and numerous fun parties we have enjoyed together. Friendship is as eternal as love. I am acting as president at the present time, 1969. (8) What a glorious time we had on Mother and Father’s “Golden Wedding Anniversary Day,” in 1931, with aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers and sisters. All the families assembled at Nina and George’s big home. All the children participated on the program in the evening at the Sharon Ward Chapel, a never to be forgotten day. In my family, Valene married first; to R. Leo Hubbard, July 21, 1939 in the Manti Temple. A reception was held in the Sharon Ward recreation hall, gaily decorated for the occasion. Then Robert met Marjorie Sinclair while they were both attending B.Y.U. Marj was from the state of Washington. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple June 7, 1946. Their reception was held in the Joseph Smith Building on the campus. Thelma was flower girl (9) and David Christensen was escort. (*) Vance took Lois Williamson of Salt Lake for his bride the same year in the Salt Lake Temple, August 21, 1946. A reception followed at the Williamson home. Three years later June was married to O. Calvin Bird at home, August 12, 1949. The reception was held in the Sharon Hall. David finally decided he would take the fatal step after meeting Shirley Erickson, from California, and who was going to school at B.Y.U. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple August 19, 1954. A reception was held in the Vermont Ward Hall, and one at her home in California. Ted and I were able to attend both, going to California with Glen and Herbert Aiken. I love to travel. I recall the lovely trip to Nebraska with Vance and family to visit Valene. We also went on to Nauvoo and Carthage, Illinois. Then I returned to Nebraska later for the arrival of Val Douglas, Valene’s son, into the world. I prophesied a little girl, but he was a huge baby boy. No more prophesying! In 1966 I visited Yellowstone Park, etc. for the first time along with grandchildren Irene and Todd Hubbard (Val Hubbard also). I enjoyed every minute of the trip and the scenery and fabulous sights. I worked in the Salt Lake Temple for one year, then family responsibilities kept me at home. I will never forget this great spiritual experience. I have taught in Primary and was Activity Counselor in M. I. A. But mostly I was busy in music activities. Our children enjoyed having their friends visit, and Ted would join in their activities. Uncle Harold, Ted’s brother, gave us a pool table which all enjoyed. A great sorrow came to us when Beth was drowned in the canal, which ran through the farm. She was 2 years and 3 months of age. Four years later Thelma passed away from the disease of rheumatic fever. At that time Valene, Vance and Robert were married. My sister Lorene passed away February 10, 1935. Father was struck by a car and killed on the highway in front of their home just 18 months later, at the age of 81. Mother lived to be nearly 93 years of age. She passed away March 19, 1955. The three boys were called into the service to serve our country in the 2nd World War. Vance served in France, Bob in Italy and David in Japan and Korea. It was a great joy to have them all safe at home again after the war was over. Prior to going into the service, Vance had the privilege of serving on a mission in the New England Mission. The faith of the whole family was strengthened and our testimonies increased while Vance was on his mission. In 1957 Ted and I were set apart as Stake Missionaries in the Orem, Utah Stake. I hesitated about accepting on account of Ted’s health, but he said he wanted to do it even if he weren’t able to finish his mission. He passed away suddenly on August 28, 1958 and our 2 year mission would have been completed the following January. I was released in December, and remember I had to speak in church the night of my release. It was a wonderful experience for us both. It brought us very close and we had many wonderful visits with people in the Stake. I took the tour to the Hill Cummorah Pageant and New York and had a glorious time. Angie went with me. We will remember the many states we visited, and all the famous shrines we visited also. The Pageant was so magnificent, especially the appearance of the Savior as he descended from the sky. It was a glorious performance. I would like to see it again. I have been to California several times to visit Zola and Dora and families, and my sister Sadies children and grandchildren. I sold some property in the “River bottoms” in 1959, and bought a new home close to the 18th Ward Chapel and have enjoyed many gatherings of the children and grandchildren. This is the year 1967 and I will soon have a birthday and will be 67 years of age. I have a wonderful posterity having had 7 children, have 34 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. My greatest pleasure is in mingling together with my posterity. I am ward organist at the present time and I do enjoy this privilege of playing the melodious “Allen” organ in the Chapel. I would like to tell my children to be faithful to the principles of the gospel, for we can obtain happiness and joy in no other way. I do know the gospel is true. I have had many happenings in my life which have given me this testimony. Love one another and be forgiving to one another. Seek for the good qualities in each other, and my prayer for us all is that we might be worthy to be together in God’s Celestial Kingdom forever. <><><><> At the request of #1 son, Vance, I wrote this. By Melba Vance Calder (yr.?) The first time I recall seeing E. H. Calder (Ted), was at a sacrament meeting at Sharon Ward Chapel. He sat right behind me and we visited a little. I think I was 15 years old at that time, I’m not sure. When I was attending school at Sharon in the 6th and 7th grades I had a terrible case on Blaine Pack. Father was my teacher. I loved it, to be the teacher’s daughter. He often had us do racing, and I always won, except one day Blaine Pack said, “I’m going to win today.” So, I let him. In the 8th grade at Spencer school all students from the region attended, Edgemont, Pleasant View, Vineyard, Lake View, Lindon and Provo Bench. All graduated. Mrs. Ora Cunningham was a splendid teacher. (3) When authorities visited, she had me recite poems and sometimes read chapters in our current story in the morning. I played the piano for the students to march in and out of the building. I attended the first year of High School at Spencer, then went to BY High, taking vocal lessons from Professor Reid. I stayed during the week at Aunt Lucy’s boarding house, then came home week ends. Ted often took me back to school in the horse and buggy, and sometimes I rode the Orem Interurban, as it was called. Zola, May Newell, Nina and I rode the Interurban to dances at Pl. Grove, Am. Fork, and Lehi. We also went to Geneva Resort for dancing. At Geneva we met the Clegg brothers, Lewis and Joy. I thought Lewis and Zola would decide to join hands in Holy matrimony, but I guess it wasn’t to be. I went out with Arthur Anderson and Samuel Helton from Pl. Grove and Courtney Featherstone from Lehi, and also Ted, with May and LeEarl. Dances were held often in Sharon Ward amusement hall and we always had good times because there were so many of our own age group living in Sharon ward at that time, and many came from different places to the dances. My sister Zola was 4 years older than I, so we often went together. She was old enough, but I was bigger and looked older. Zola, Nina and I picked fruit for Ted’s father, D. G. Calder. We picked cherries and raspberries. The farm was well kept, without weeds. George Stratton was ‘going with’ my sister Nina and the 4 of us had some good times together. A great number of friends of ours were getting married, Roy Park and Lillie Burr, Kezia Carroll and Clifton Pyne, Ray Cutler and Rachel, Nellie Burr and Virgil Bullock, Minnie Crandall and Curtis Gordon, May Newell and LeEarl Burr, Dean and Bertha park, George and Nina, etc. George used to tell Ted how wonderful married life was, so I guess Ted caught the fever. He asked me if I could be ready in three weeks, and I said, “Yes,” so on the 11th of December, Ted and I and mother took the train to Salt Lake. We stayed at a hotel that night. Mother had made me a pretty blue chiffon dress for the occasion. I loved it so much and wore it until it was almost worn out, then mother made Valene a dress out of it. It was real cute. Mother was an excellent seamstress, but I didn’t inherit that talent. Well, we were married on the 12th of December 1917 in the Salt Lake Temple. Mother returned home that day, but Ted and I waited till the next day where a group chivaried us, as they called it. Friends and relatives gathered at the Calder home where we enjoyed ourselves. Larry Salisbury enjoyed playing the record on the Phonograph, ‘Why I Picked a Lemon in the Garden of Love, Where they say only Peaches Grow.’ We lived at the Calder home with Uncle Frank until April when the folks came back from staying in Salt Lake for the winter. When Valene was 7 months old we moved to the River bottom house of 3 rooms, no electricity and only water from the canal to use for all purposes, drinking, washing, etc. In 1926 when Ted’s father died, we moved back to the Calder home. Ted’s mother moved to Salt Lake with her daughter, Catherine. Vance and Bob were born while we lived in the River bottom. Valene, David, June, Thelma and Beth while we were living in the Calder Home. Ted asked me if I wanted a diamond or a ruby and I said a ruby, so he got me one that had been in a stick pin. It was Judge Whitecotton’s ruby. (It was beautiful). . MELBA V. CALDER HISTORY CONTINUES FROM 1967 Maxine Stringfellow died with cancer in 1967. It is now the year 1979 and I am now 79 years of age and as I’m still around I’ll finish up my history from 1967. On May 17, 1968 Bernice died suddenly from a heart attack which made me so very sad, and I missed her so much because we were often together and I loved her dearly. She was just 2 years younger than I. She had joined our Orem Literary Club just the year before. Both Lorene & Bernice were wives of Ertmann Christensen. He is now married to Nola. Both Marvin and Francis Calder passed away that same year, same month, sons of D. O. Calder. I worked for a year in the Salt Lake Temple as a receptionist, driving up and back by myself. Five O’clock was the hour to be at the temple, and I arrived home between 11pm and 12am. I stopped my assignment to assist June. Her husband Calvin had a serious operation with brain malignancy. He died March 8, 1969. In January 1970 I went to the hospital with shingles. They are horrible things, and I hope I never have those things again, wow! (She did have them again, however, 14 years later in 1984, but got over them again!) I went to Salt Lake to help Catherine, Ted’s sister, as she had broken her hip. Catherine died 17 July 1970. June and Gerald, Sherry and Blayne and myself journeyed to Washington to visit Bob and Marj. We had a grand time up there. Gerald didn’t want to come home. On our way home we visited the Fair at Spokane, Washington, the only World’s Fair I have ever attended. It was great! In 1971 Harold and Leora persuaded me to go on a trip to Hawaii with them while Harold’s malignancy was in recession. We had a glorious time on the Christopherson Tour. Not a word of complaint from Harold. First time on a plane for me. I’ll remember it forever. (10) (11) Harold died in 1972. I gave his history at his funeral. The Provo Temple was completed in 1973 and I was called to act as receptionist. I worked for 4 1/2 years and loved every minute of it. I resigned as I was having some heart (and hearing) problems. I go there as often as I can, trying to do my 4 endowments each month, sometimes more, sometimes less. (12) The Senior Citizens of Orem organized a Fun Band and I have acted as Director. It has been a wonderful privilege to be in the band. We have had many happy performances together. We have been performing for 5 years, and this year of 1979 will be our 6th year together. (This year we will give it up). The first grandchild to pass away was Richard Alan Calder, 9 years of age, son of Vance and Lois, a very sad occasion to us all, the cause of his death being a bad case of chicken pox. He died April 3, 1973. Little Shalah Nan, daughter of Michael and Gayle Bird passed away April 30, 1978. In April 1976 Bob sent me the plane ticket to come visit them in Washington for 3 weeks. I had such a good time. Bob and Marj took Grace and I and Marty and we went to Victoria, Canada, crossing over on the Ferry. That was fun. Victoria is a pretty city. Returned home rested and refreshed to carry on life at home. This date is September 6, 1979. I’m still ward organist, (13) member of ward choir, chorister of D.U.P., Camp Timp View, member of Orem Literary Club for 50 years, member of Senior Citizen Organization, Director of Fun Band, age 79. (Resigned at end of year and fun band was disbanded.) The Calder clan visited with Lillian Calder Salisbury September 5. She is 90 years of age, but doesn’t look it. She’ll be 91, March 9, 1980. Our posterity consists of 5 married children, but June and Valene’s husbands have passed away and two of our children died when children; 18 grandchildren married, 41 great grandchildren, making over 100 descendants all together. On July 4, 1979 our family celebrated together at the Orem park, 69 present of my family and 35 not present, making a total of 102. Glorious time. Bob and Marj and some of their children were here on a visit, so more of us could be together at that time. I’m looking forward to July 4, 1980, when we plan to be together again, as many as possible, that is, so hope there will be a huge crowd and we all have fun being together again. (She was able to attend 6 more, the last one July 4, 1986, 6 weeks before she died.) Valene took a month’s vacation and went to Greece to visit Irene and Manousso. She has given programs of her visit, so we feel as though we had traveled there also. She should have been rested up, but came home with a cold. She said the house looked as if she had been gone for a year. My Rambler gave up the ghost as the saying is. That was the last day of November. I now have another car, a Chev. Nova I purchased on the 26th of December, the day after Christmas. Val and the boys fixed it all up good, so it runs really fine. I’m really thrilled about it when I can get over my fear of driving it out in traffic. March 2, 1980. I feel fine driving now and really enjoy it. (The price of gas is horrible). My 80th birthday anniversary was celebrated to the fullest, and I had a grand time, one I’ll never forget. First, a dinner at Chuckarama with a wonderful program. Bob surprised me with his presence, as I didn’t know he was coming, which meant all the family were there. Marj didn’t come, but they all sent Bob for my birthday present. Marcia wrote a poem for me. Wasn’t that something? Even John and Bernadine Herbst came to help celebrate from California. The open house was just perfect. I enjoyed it so much and had a glorious time. Many calls on the phone, lovely cards and letters. It was just wonderful. Monday night a turkey dinner was enjoyed by 11 grown ups and the doings were taped. Ert and Nola took Nina and I out to dinner on Friday and we had a Grand time, one I’ll never forget. First, a dinner at Chuck O Rama with a wonderful program. Bob surprised me with his presence as I didn’t know he was coming, which meant all the family were there. Marj didn’t come, but they all sent Bob for my birthday present. Wasn’t that something? (Marcia wrote a special poem ). Even John and Bernadine Herbst came from California to help celebrate. The open house was just perfect. I enjoyed it so much and had a glorious time. Many calls on the phone, lovely cards and letters. It was just wonderful. Monday night a turkey dinner was enjoyed by 11 grown ups and the doing were taped. Ert and Nola took Nina and I out to dinner on Friday and we had a good time visiting and eating. Bob left on Wednesday as Marj was sick with a strep throat. This Sunday starts the new schedule of Sunday meetings. Everyone seemed real happy with the change. Beth and Dallas had the baby named today, Clint Thomas Bock. Jody was baptized yesterday, the 1st of March and then confirmed the 2nd, which was today. Deaths, 1973, through 1979 Leo Hubbard, July 18, 1976Zola Malone May 24, 1977 Marie Williamson, May 28, 1978Corine Partridge, June 5, 1978 Helen Borquist Sands, Sept. 29, 1975Shallah Nan Bird, April 30, 1978 Matilda V. Elliott, Dec. 4, 1973Raymond Elliott, March 1, 1974 John A. Vance Jr., Jan 11, 1974Erastus S. Borquist, June 13, 1974 Dora V. Borquist, Jan. 7, 1975Angie V. Rawlins, April 8, 1976 Helen B. Hadley, Feb. 19, 1979 <><><><> The following notations, written by daughter Dorathy Valene Calder Hubbard. 1999 (1) Grandfather was too proud to accept things he could not pay for. But how generous he was himself. (2) Clay had a ruptured appendix, thus the infection (3) Mrs. Cunningham taught me in the ninth grade, which was her last year of teaching. (4) Marintha and Grandma Matilda Vance are sisters and married brothers. Marintha had nine boys and two girls and grandmother had nine girls and two boys. (5) Lucy Wasden was the daughter of Great grandfather Martin and his second wife. (6) I never heard a trio I enjoyed more than my mother, Aunt Bernice and Aunt Nina accompanied by Aunt Zola. (7) Mom didn’t have a mixing bowl so her precious brass bucket was well used for this purpose. Many a batch of biscuits, pancakes and cakes were stirred up in her ‘mixing bowl.’ I only remember her making one batch of cookies when we were young, but she made dozens of them after she moved to her new home, but still using the brass bucket. (8) A group of friends also formed a bridge club. She loved to play bridge, and brought home many of the prizes. She and her sisters played cards also. They didn’t just play for fun, they were out to win! (9) Thelma and Irene (granddaughter) were flower girls wearing identical dresses I made. The dresses were made from a soft plastic-type material as material was still hard to get at that time. David and Thelma were for my reception. (10) In 1973 Uncle Harold and Aunt Leora convinced Mom to go with them to Hawaii. She bought a swimsuit, wore her wig and had a wonderful time. Uncle Harold had leukemia and it was the last trip he and Aunt Leora could take together. Mom and Aunt Leora were always good friends. (Mom and Aunt Lillian were also great friends besides being sister-in-laws. They didn’t get to visit each other very often, but had fun conversations on the telephone quite often.) Mom enjoyed two trips to Disney Land, the last one being to see the Rose Bowl parade after spending New Year'’ eve enjoying a nice meal and listening to Lawrence Welk and his Orchestra. I went with she and Aunt Nina on the Senior Tour. She acted as historian on her bus and did a great job of writing up the experiences of the trip. We went to other places as well. In April of 1986 was her last trip, and it was to California with Aunt Nina and family members. She wasn’t too well, but felt much better down there. She and Aunt Nina enjoyed the sights being wheeled around in wheelchairs. Mom had to be talked into the wheelchair but came to realize the wisdom of doing so. (11) She was on a 747 and she saw that the wings would move up and down a little in the light turbulence. The pilot was walking by and she asked him about it. He told her they were designed to flex up to 6 feet. After that she felt better about flying. Val Hubbard (12)In 1972, she was called to work in the Salt Lake Temple. She really enjoyed it, but said it was a bit scary once in a while as she drove home by herself in her Rambler at 11pm. There wasn’t too much traffic on the road then and she said the shadows on the road were a bit frightening at times. Once in a while she rode with her friends, the Wilbergs. (That was sometimes scary, too).In 1973 the Provo, Utah Temple opened and she served as an ordinance worker there for 4 ½ years, asking to be released then, as she wasn’t hearing too well. (13) When she asked to be released as organist (because of her hearing problem) Bishop Crandall was reluctant to do so and kept putting it off for over a year until she insisted. She told me later she was sorry she had quit at that time. Even though she felt like she was playing too loud, the Lord was blessing her and everyone loved to hear her play. She played because she loved it and it was evident. Her grandson, Lynn Calder sold organs (the fun kind), and purchased one for her, which she enjoyed for a few years. She didn’t play much the last year of her life as she didn’t feel much like it. Added by Grandson Val Hubbard. From my memory when we interviewed Grandma Calder about her life about 1980 If I find the original transcript I will update. Hardest thing in life? Death of her 2 daughters. Thelma died from complications of Rheumatic fever. They knew she was sick, but the fill in doctor at the time said it wasn’t Rheumatic fever. After many months their original doctor returned (was in the army?) and properly diagnosed the problem, but by then the damage to the heart had been done. Beth drowned in the Canal. They were very careful with the canal. There was a 6 foot fence with gates they locked when crossing the Canal. She was with Beth and Thelma when she noticed Beth was gone, not more than a minute. After 40 years Grandma Calder doesn’t know how Beth just 2 years and 3 months old got over the fence and fell in the canal. Grandma Calder would never leave anyone that was really sick alone. She did once early in her life when she had to go get something for treatment. When she returned they had died alone. She was not going to let that happen again. We asked her what liberated women? Without any hesitation she said, “THE WASHING MACHINE!”. That has done more to free up time for the family than any other thing. Sadly we don’t always use this extra time to help one another as we should. Dishwasher wasn’t that great, they were called children. Why didn’t you tell anyone about how Valene was born? She was a young bride and embarrassed that people would count the weeks. Valene was a honeymoon baby that came a tad early. Grandma Calder took a buckboard ride for 20 miles to the ward picnic and back the day Valene was born. (I don’t think Valene likes to be jostled to this day.) What was the most amazing thing? Men landing on the moon. The phrase that was prevalent when she grew up was “I could no more do that than go to the moon”, but we finally did! We found out that day that Grandma Calder was a space nut. She had kept a scrapbook and followed the space race all the way to the moon. She could hold her own in space discussions with most anyone then, but she hardly if ever mentioned it to the family. Did she ever go on the family hunting trips each year? Only once, she remembers they had to stop every mile to pump up one of the tires in the model T. They finally found it was only a loose valve stem. She said after that trip it was no vacation for her, but was for the men. So she decided that when the men would all go on a hunting vacation, so would she. She stayed home with little to do and it was a vacation. Normally she did cooking, washing etc. for the family and all the farm hands and many times for whoever else was living with them. She could make almost any cake from scratch and memory. Cakes were easy and fun. She made Kool-Aid in her later years for the grandkids, but she doubled the ingredients, Kool-Aid and sugar. She grew up drinking fruit juice and the Kool-Aid had to be strong enough to be drinkable. Grandma remembered that as a child she could run well. One Fourth of July celebration when she was small they had a 100 yard dash with 50 cents (a lot of money for a kid then) as the prize. This was at Geneva Park by the lake. She said she ran as hard as she could, but was going so fast at the end she couldn’t stop and ran into the belly of a big fat man. She won the prize. All her sisters learned to dance the Highland Fling, but for some reason Grandma Calder never learned it growing up. She regretted not learning it when she was younger.

Life timeline of Thelma M. Calder

Thelma M. Calder was born on 12 Mar 1938
Thelma M. Calder died on 13 Jan 1947 at the age of 8
Grave record for Thelma M. Calder (12 Mar 1938 - 13 Jan 1947), BillionGraves Record 17191 Orem, Utah, Utah, United States