Sterling Harold Roylance

26 Sep 1930 - 15 Jan 2011

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Sterling Harold Roylance

26 Sep 1930 - 15 Jan 2011
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

LIFE STORY OF STERLING HAROLD ROYLANCE Harold Lorenzo Roylance and Janetta Marie Ferrin met at harvest time in Pleasant View UT. He was a water monkey on a combine and she was helping feed the crew. They were married on Oct. 4, 1922, in the Salt Lake Temple. Her father gave her permission to marry b

Life Information

Sterling Harold Roylance


Memorial Gardens of the Wasatch

1817 Shoshone Dr
Ogden, Weber, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Children: Loree, Becky, Judy, Annette


January 6, 2012


January 5, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Sterling Harold


Sterling Harold Roylance is buried in the Memorial Gardens of the Wasatch at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

LIFE STORY OF STERLING HAROLD ROYLANCE Harold Lorenzo Roylance and Janetta Marie Ferrin met at harvest time in Pleasant View UT. He was a water monkey on a combine and she was helping feed the crew. They were married on Oct. 4, 1922, in the Salt Lake Temple. Her father gave her permission to marry because Janetta was 17 at the time. Harold was 20. Harold was raised in North Ogden, UT one of six children. He went to school thru the 8th grade. He was a truck driver by trade. Janetta was raised in Huntsville, UT where the Pine View Dam is located. She was one of thirteen children. We think she completed high school. After their marriage, they moved to Harrisville. There the first four of eleven children were born. Marjorie, Wanda, Gordon and Della. About 1929 they bought a home in Wilson Lane for $800.00. The next three children were born in this home. I was born Sept 26, 1930. Weighing 10 lbs. Next came Hazel and Janetta. The last four children Duane, Samia, Shana and Adin were born in the McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden, UT. Here are some of the things I remember about my childhood. On one of my birthdays, I was about 10; my Father took me on his truck route throughout Northern UT to deliver groceries. On the way home thru Logan canyon we caught a rattlesnake. We brought it home to show our family. Mother was not happy. My Dad gave me the nickname “Huck” it stuck with me the rest of my life. Some of my presents were candy bars or money to buy a drink. My favorite toy was my first bicycle. I enjoyed riding through puddles and over dirt piles in the brush. The Tooth Fairy usually left us a penny or a nickel for lost teeth. We never got an allowance. I could always make money working for local farmers. I worked in the sugar beets and cucumbers from planting thru the harvest. I hauled hay for a neighbor, Jack Spiers. We could always find a way to make money. When I was paid, the first thing I did was ride my bike to find a hot dog stand. I could buy a drink and a hot dog for a quarter. A quarter would pay for a movie in town on Saturdays. When I was in about the fourth grade my friend, Gerald Stanger (Curly) and I left school. We went to a stockyard, where Parsons Cement Plant is now. We stole a baby lamb and put it in a gunnysack, thinking we would take it home after school. The owner found the lamb and brought it to school. After some time we admitted that we had taken it, we were in serious trouble. The worst spanking I remember from my Dad was when my brother Gordon and I were supposed to be on an overnight campout with the boys. We left the campsite to visit some of the local girls. We were shocked when Dad rode up on his bicycle. He used a switch on us all the way home. We did not forget that for a long time. The only game I can remember my parents playing with us is blanket toss at family reunions. My Mother told me about the time she and her brother Parley tried to bring a baby skunk home for a pet, this activity back fired. They were squirted. When they got home, Grandma Ferrin would not let them in the house. They had to burn their clothes and bath in tomato juice; they spent the rest of the week outside. I never went to a hospital as a child, our Doctor made house calls. I had my tonsils out on the kitchen table. I remember the time Gordon was pulling our push mower; I tried to grab the roller and cut the tip of my finger off. Someone ran next door to call the Doctor. Our neighbor, Rose Speirs, wrapped my finger with a dishcloth; Rose never found the rag and said it must have been sewn into my finger. My Father never owned a vehicle until after I went into the service. When we went camping or fishing, he would borrow a truck from his work place. We would go up Ogden Canyon on the 4th of July to fish and sleep in our canvas tent. I remember when my sister Wanda got sick. My parents brought her down from the canyon to the hospital; she died from Spinal Meningitis at the age of thirteen. Some of my outdoor activities were killing birds with my home made flipper, swimming in the irrigation ditch and sleeping overnight outside with my friends. Pigeons were plentiful and became one of our favorite camp food. We did have pets, mostly dogs and cats. We raised pigs, rabbits and chickens; we didn’t make pets of them because they were food. Some of my fondest memories of home are my Mother’s cooking and canning. Her handy work and quilting. Spending time listening to the radio and visits with family and friends. Our home had a front room, kitchen and one large bedroom; two small rooms were on each side of the bedroom. Our clothes were washed in a ringer washer, and rinsed in a large tin tub. We got water from a pump in the back yard at first. Later my Father and Uncles drilled a well in the kitchen and installed a pump. My Mother was thrilled with the new convenience. We still used the outhouse for many years. It was still there when our girls were small and they loved using it. We heated our house with a stove in the front room and a range in the kitchen. We never had a phone in our house while I lived there; we usually used one of our neighbors. I went to Wilson Elementary, grades one thru nine. We walked to school one mile each way. Our teacher was Mrs. Paulsen. One time I got in trouble, a group of us boys were peeking thru the cracks in the girl’s bathroom and we were caught. Another time my teacher kept curling my hair around her finger, I got mad and went home and had my Mother butch it all off. I learned to drive while working at Parks Ranch in Huntsville, when I was about 14. The ranch was located where the Monastery is now. I graduated from Weber County High School in 1948; it was located at about 12th and Washington in Ogden. We were able to ride the bus to school there. My favorite teacher was Miss Cooper. I participated in football, boxing and baseball. I was a good athlete and had very good teachers. I enjoyed being in the choir. I didn’t attend many school dances. We teased and played jokes on our teachers, all in fun. During my senior year, I worked for Weber Central Dairy. I was the first of our family of 11 to graduate from High School. I joined the Navy while I was still 17; my Father had to sign me in. I spent 4 years in the Navy stationed in the states. I went to school while in the service to become a Naval Air Mechanic. When I was stationed at Alameda naval Air Station in California, I bought my first car. My favorite duty was Fallon Nevada. I got out of the serve in 1952. I enjoyed my years in the service. My sister Janetta had moved to Huntsville to live with the Hart family, she was a good friend of Billie. Janetta, Billie and her younger sister Colleen came to my apartment in Ogden for a ride to Huntsville; this is when I met Colleen. Our first date was to a friend’s reception, I fell for Colleen the first time I met her. We went for rides and dances. I proposed to Colleen while we were in Salt Lake City for an outing. She said yes right away, but wanted to finish High School. We dated for 2 years. Our wedding was held in the Huntsville School gym on July 8, 1955. We had a western band and everyone had a good time. My best man was Ralph Avis, he had married Billie the year before. Colleen’s maid of honor was Dorothy Bailey. When we left for our honeymoon, we got a flat tire and I had to change my suit on the side of the road. We went to Yellowstone for our honeymoon with a $50.00 loan from my boss Bruce Walker. Our first apartment was in a second floor of a house in Ogden. Then we moved to a duplex that was owned by a family named Taylor, they owned a pet shop in Ogden. They really looked out for us. Our first home was on Monroe Blvd in Ogden, the price was $5000, $500 down, $50 per month. We had fun fixing it up. We moved several times during our 50 years of marriage. When we got married, I worked at a gas station in West Ogden for Bruce Walker. I was there for about 5 years. Then I went to Stevens Heneger College on the GI bill. There I received a degree in business and accounting. I found a job at the Weber County clerk’s office; I worked there for about 4 years. From there I worked at IRS for a short time, and retired from HAFB in 1987. When I retired, I started to do wood work. First supplying work for tole painters. Then shelfs from 1 foot to 12 feet, benches and tables. We had them in several stores; it was a fun time for me. We have four daughters, Loree Ann, born 1956, Becky Sue, born 1957, Judy Gail, born 1959 and Annette, born 1961. I enjoyed by daughters, they made life a lot of fun and kept us busy. My family will remember my favorite breakfast food is a spam mac muffin. We spent a lot of time camping with our family. Smithfield Canyon and St Charles were our favorite places. I could get up early and catch fish for breakfast. We went from a tent, then the back of a pickup truck shell, next came a camper on a truck. We moved up to a motor home, then a truck and trailer, finally back to a motor home. We have enjoyed many good trips. Our most memorable holiday celebration was on the 4th of July, we were asked to be in a movie called Independence Day. We took our motor home to Wendover UT, at the old airport. We were in various scenes on the Salt Flats. We enjoyed being there for three nights while they filmed; the staff took very good care of us. We got lots of pictures. The period of my life that I have enjoyed most was raising our family. Spending time with our grandchildren and at this time have 8 great grandchildren. If I could, I would like to visit them all. For my 80th birthday, my daughter Becky and her husband Doug had a party at their home in South Weber. Many members of our family came, by brother Gordan came down from Casper WY, he and I were always close. My advice to my family would be to enjoy life and keep close to your family. Be honest and work hard, take time to play. Keep a diary. Harold passed away Jan 15, 2011. Written by Colleen assisted by Harold

Life timeline of Sterling Harold Roylance

Sterling Harold Roylance was born on 26 Sep 1930
Sterling Harold Roylance was 11 years old when World War II: The Imperial Japanese Navy made a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, intending to neutralize the United States Pacific Fleet from influencing the war Japan was planning to wage in Southeast Asia. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Sterling Harold Roylance was 27 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Sterling Harold Roylance was 34 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
Sterling Harold Roylance was 42 years old when Munich massacre: Nine Israeli athletes die (along with a German policeman) at the hands of the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group after being taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games. Two other Israeli athletes were slain in the initial attack the previous day. The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, in which the Palestinian terrorist group Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them along with a West German police officer.
Sterling Harold Roylance was 59 years old when Cold War: Fall of the Berlin Wall: East Germany opens checkpoints in the Berlin Wall, allowing its citizens to travel to West Berlin. The Berlin Wall was a guarded concrete barrier that physically and ideologically divided Berlin from 1961 to 1989. Constructed by the German Democratic Republic, starting on 13 August 1961, the Wall cut off West Berlin from virtually all of surrounding East Germany and East Berlin until government officials opened it in November 1989. Its demolition officially began on 13 June 1990 and finished in 1992. The barrier included guard towers placed along large concrete walls, accompanied by a wide area that contained anti-vehicle trenches, "fakir beds" and other defenses. The Eastern Bloc portrayed the Wall as protecting its population from fascist elements conspiring to prevent the "will of the people" in building a socialist state in East Germany.
Sterling Harold Roylance was 61 years old when The World Wide Web is opened to the public. The World Wide Web (WWW), also called the Web, is an information space where documents and other web resources are identified by Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), interlinked by hypertext links, and accessible via the Internet. English scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web in 1989. He wrote the first web browser in 1990 while employed at CERN in Switzerland. The browser was released outside CERN in 1991, first to other research institutions starting in January 1991 and to the general public on the Internet in August 1991.
Sterling Harold Roylance was 73 years old when Invasion of Iraq: In the early hours of the morning, the United States and three other countries (the UK, Australia and Poland) begin military operations in Iraq. The 2003 invasion of Iraq was the first stage of the Iraq War. The invasion phase began on 20 March 2003 and lasted just over one month, including 21 days of major combat operations, in which a combined force of troops from the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and Poland invaded Iraq. This early stage of the war formally ended on 1 May 2003 when U.S. President George W. Bush declared the "end of major combat operations", after which the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) was established as the first of several successive transitional governments leading up to the first Iraqi parliamentary election in January 2005. U.S. military forces later remained in Iraq until the withdrawal in 2011.
Sterling Harold Roylance died on 15 Jan 2011 at the age of 80
Grave record for Sterling Harold Roylance (26 Sep 1930 - 15 Jan 2011), BillionGraves Record 565394 Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States