Spicer Wells Crandall

31 Dec 1822 - 14 May 1879


Spicer Wells Crandall

31 Dec 1822 - 14 May 1879
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Spicer Wells Crandall (31 Dec 1822 - 14 May 1879) at Springville City Cemetery in Springville, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Spicer Wells Crandall
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Spicer Wells Crandall


Springville City Cemetery

200 West 400 South
Springville, Utah, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Spicer born in Lancaster, N.Y. Mary born in Dublin, Ireland


January 3, 2012


January 1, 2012

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Spicer Wells...

We found more records about Spicer Wells Crandall.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Spicer Wells


Spicer Wells Crandall is buried in the Springville City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Horace Spafford

Contributor: gpsguy Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

- Compiled and written by Helen McKenzie Jackson Horace Spafford was the son of an army man, born in Bergennes County, Vermont on January 23, 1797. His parents were Colonel Elijah Spafford and Irinda Skinner. Horace grew to manhood in the neighboring county of the birthplace of Joseph Smith, founder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In early manhood, Horace married Martha Stiles and they had eleven children, six girls and five boys. He was a quiet, unassuming man, devoted to his family and community. Through his industry he was able to provide some comforts for his family who were reared in the prevailing religious teachings of that time. When the LDS religion was introduced to Horace and his family they became very interested and soon joined the church. At this time they moved to Pike County, Missouri. In January of 1840, Alma was born. The family endured all the persecutions of the members of the church at that time. It was during this same time that their oldest daughter, Caroline, married Joshua Kimball and left the church. They never heard from her again. This was one of the first of many sorrows. In the spring of 1850, unable to endure the persecutions any longer, they sold their possessions and outfitted themselves to make the trek across the plains to what is now Utah. At this time there was another wedding in the family. [Daughter] Irinda married Spicer Crandall. Spicer was also a member of the church and he and bride planned to go west with the family. They joined a company with Aaron Johnson as captain. There were 135 wagons in this train of pioneers. All seemed to go well with them until they reached the Platte River. As they made camp one night, Martha made biscuits with flour and alkali dust for her family. That night many members of the family became very ill. That morning Irinda and her infant daughter were dead. Within the next four days, two other daughters and two sons and their mother were also dead, victims of cholera. Alma was just a small boy [of ten] and was also very ill with the dread disease. While he was burning with a high fever, he crawled to the edge of the river and sat with his feet in the water all night. By morning his fever had left and he was apparently well. He often said this saved his life. He was the only member of the family who had cholera and lived. After the deaths of his wife, five children, and one granddaughter, Horace wrapped their bodies in a feather bed and quilts and placed them in one grave on the edge of the Platte River in June of 1850. They placed large stones over the grave to keep wolves and other wild animals from digging up the bodies. If any man's faith was tested, it was Horace's, for now he was fifty- three years old, had no home, owned only his wagon and a few possessions, his wife was dead, and only three sons and two daughters were left from this once large and happy family. But his faith was strong and he squared his shoulders and once more joined the company to come west. On September 2, 1850, this weary company arrived in the Salt Lake Valley and camped at Emigration Square. There they rested from the long journey. That night, Brigham Young, the President of the LDS Church, came to the camp to greet these weary people. He counted out the first eight wagons and told them that he wanted them to go south to the shores of Utah Lake and there build a fort and make their homes. Horace's wagon was one of the eight. They rested for seven days and then started out. It took three days of travel and on September 18, 1850 they arrived at the future site of Springville and camped on a little bluff. Here they corralled their wagons and their long journey of 1,100 miles was over. The previous five years had been a state of unrest and uncertainty but here they found rest and a place to expand their energies. Now they were all settled as far as future wandering was concerned. On the day of arrival they nooned at Bullock's Springs, south of Provo, Utah. About 2:00 that afternoon they drove down across the big pasture and crossed Spring Creek where it is now spanned by the the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad. The location was one of natural beauty, one to fill their hearts with joy and thanksgiving. High mountains surrounded the beautiful valley, tall grass waved in the breeze, and the beautiful lake to the west made it a picture never to be forgotten by these delighted home seekers. Early the next morning, these hearty pioneers were up and busy. Some gathered grass for hay and others hauled logs for the fort which was built on the rising ground just south of the corralled wagons. The fort covered one and a half acres and was constructed to serve also as a home. The fort was completed before the winter storms set in and it served as a protection for the members of this new church. In the spring, the town site and lots were surveyed and Horace and his family were given a plot of ground between Center Street and 100 North and between 200 and 300 West [in present-day Springville]. He built his log house on the northwest corner and set up homemaking for his motherless family. During the year of 1851 he married Rachel Robison Ford, a widow. She was a wonderful woman and loved Horace's children and raised them to adulthood. She was called Grandmother Ford. After nineteen years of peace and rest from persecutions, Horace passed away in Springville on December 12, 1869 (at the age of 72).

Spicer Wells Crandall (31 December 1822 – 14 May 1879)

Contributor: gpsguy Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Spicer Wells Crandall, Dean’s 2nd great-grandfather, traveled to the Salt Lake valley in the Warren Foote company arriving in September 1850. He buried two wives along the way. Spicer was born on 31 Dec 1822 at York, Genesee, New York to David Crandall and Mary Margaret McBride. Spicer was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 5 Mar 1837, likely in either Missouri or Illinois. Other members of his family had been baptized a few years earlier. Spicer married Sarah Susannah Gill on 15 Oct 1843 at Quincy, Adams, Illinois. Spicer & Sarah both received their endowments in the Nauvoo Temple on 23 Jan 1846. Sarah died on 5 Jan 1847 at Knox County, Nebraska. A monument was erected to the memory of those that died there, including ‘Mrs. Spicer Crandall.’ Spicer married Irinda Spafford on 30 Sep 1849 at Kanesville, Pottawattamie, Iowa. She died in childbirth nine months later on 30 Jun 1850 in Nebraska. There were a total of 6 members of the Spafford family that died that month. Listed in the 1850 US Fed Census was Spicer and a new wife, Sophia Kellogg, that he had married on 5 Dec 1850 in Salt Lake. Spicer was sealed to Sophia and to his previous two wives on 31 Jul 1852 in President Young’s office. He was also called on a mission to England and applied for a passport in 1852. At the time, he had one child (Irinda) and another on the way (Spicer). Spicer returned from his mission by ship and traveled with the Daniel D. McArthur company for the last part, arriving back in Salt Lake on 26 Sep 1856. This company traveled just behind the Edmund Ellsworth company. Spicer was a counselor to Brother McArthur and was called as captain over half the company. The travel report also mentions that he was called upon to bless a Sister Bathgate who was snake bit! Another member of this company was a young woman from Ireland, Mary Branagan, who wrote of her experiences. Spicer married Mary Branagan on 2 Mar 1857 in the Endowment House. Their first son was born and died the following December. Both Mary and Sophia (Spicer’s other wife) gave birth to sons in 1859. Listed in the 1860 US Fed Census were Spicer & Mary with one son, living in Springville. Listed separately was Sophia with her three children by Spicer, living in Provo. (Within a couple of years, Sophia left Spicer and raised their children with another man, Daniel Cook.) Susannah Wimmer Crandall-Spicer’s brother, Myron Nathan, died on 4 Aug 1860 in Springville. Subsequently, Spicer married one of his brother’s wives, Susannah Wimmer, on 13 Jun 1861 in Springville. (He was not sealed to her inasmuch as she had already been sealed to his brother.) Susannah had three children with Myron Nathan Crandall, only two lived. Shown here are Susannah with Josephine and John. Susannah was born on 20 Dec 1833 at New Lisbon, Henry, Indiana to John Wimmer and Elizabeth Hendricks. First child with Spicer, Tryphena Elizabeth, was born on 19 Nov 1863 in Springville. Second child, Dean’s great-grandfather Myron Newton, was born on 29 Nov 1864 in Springville. Third child, Anna Maria, was born on 24 Dec 1866 in Springville. She died 7 years later. Fourth child, Peter Wells, was born on 16 Aug 1869 in Springville. Listed in the 1870 US Fed Census were Spicer & Mary with three children, living in Springville. Listed separately was Susannah with her two previous children by Myron and her four children by Spicer as well as another son of Myron’s by a different wife. Fifth child, Martha Lily, was born on 26 Oct 1873 in Springville. She died a year later. Sixth child, Margaret Almeda, was born on 24 Oct 1874 in Springville. Seventh child, George Alma, was born on 11 Jan 1878 in Springville. He died 5 years later. Spicer Wells Crandall died on 14 May 1879 at Springville, Utah, Utah. Susannah Wimmer had a total of 7 children with Spicer, only four lived to adulthood. Susannah continued to live with her children until her death on 23 Jan 1918 and was buried in a different cemetery (Evergreen) in Springville. Mary Branagan had a total of 8 children with Spicer, only three lived to adulthood. Mary continued to live with her children in Springville and worked as a school teacher. She died on 28 Mar 1919 and was buried next to Spicer in Springville City cemetery. (https://lifeandtimesoflorriej.wordpress.com/deans-pioneers/spicer-wells-crandall-1850/)

Spicer Wells Crandall (1822-1879)

Contributor: gpsguy Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Spicer Wells Crandall was born December 31, 1822, in Lancaster, Genesee, New York. His parents were David Crandall and Margaret McBride. He was the sixth child from a family of twelve, his siblings being: Mariah, Daniel Mead, Eliza, Myron Nathan, Julia Ann, Emeline, Laura, Martin Pardon, Lucian Delancy, Nelson David, and Margaret Ann. He was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on March 5, 1837. He attended public school in Kirtland, Ohio. Spicer married Sarah Susannah Gill on October 15, 1843, in Nauvoo. They had a daughter, Josephine, born about 1845. When the Saints moved from Nauvoo to Winter Quarters in 1846, Spicer and his little family went to Ponca, an Indian village located 100 miles north of Winter Quarters. The Indians had told the Saints that there was great land and timber there in which they could build a town, later referred to as "Summer Quarters". In December of 1846, there was a terrible fire at Ponca. Sarah died January 5, 1847, of exposure as a result of it. The following spring Spicer, and his little daughter Josephine, went to Kanesville (now known as Council Bluffs), Iowa, to be with brothers. The Crandall brothers owned land there. In Kanesville, Spicer met Irinda Spafford. Spicer married Irinda Spafford on September 30, 1849, in Kanesville. The Crandall brothers started the trek west in late spring of 1850. While camping near the Platte River, in the latter part of June, a family that was camping nearby had cholera. Irinda and Josephine, along with Irinda's mother, two sisters and a brother, and his sister Laura's husband contracted cholera. Spicer and Laura stayed back with the sick. Those who contracted the cholera didn't make it. They were buried near the Platte River in Nebraska. Spicer and Laura continued their journey west, and arrived in the Salt Lake Valeey in September of 1850, about three weeks after the rest of the family had come. Even though his brothers and their families had done directly to Springville, Spicer stayed in Salt Lake with his sister Laura, until she had her baby. He went on to Springville in late October or early November of 1850. Spicer and Sophia Kellogg's marriage on December 5, 1850, was the first marriage in Springville. They had three children: Irinda Naomi, August 1851; Spicer, February 1853; and Charles Edward, December 1859. On March 3 1851, the first court opened in Provo, and Spicer was one of the first jury men. Spicer helped level the land and dig a five mile ditch to bring water from Hobble Creek to Mapleton, despite the Indians who tried to stop it. During a conference in 1852, Spicer was called to serve a mission to England. The myriad of setting aparts took two days, August 28 and 29, 1852. Spicer was rebaptized on September 9, 1952. He left about September 15 and arrived in England on December 25, 1852. A Brother William Carter said of him, "He was a fine looking man, and a good missionary and the Elders in England gave him a gold watch." He returned home from his mission early in the year of 1857. Spicer married Mary Brannigan on March 2, 1857. Shortly after they were married, he went east to help a handcard company come west. He was with the second company, D.D. Mc Allister being the captain (see notes). Spicer and Mary had eight children: Daniel, December 1857; David Adolphus, June 1859; Laura Emeline, June 1861; Annabell, May 1863; Julia Ann, November 1864; Ida Luanna, September 1866; Avis Mary, July 1869; and Eliza Arletta, June 1871. Spicer was elected a member of the city council in 1857, and reelected in 1859. On March 3, 1859, Spicer was called to be on the first jury in Springville. He was the counselor to the Mayor of Springville in 1859. Spicer married Susannah Wimmer Crandall on June 13, 1861, in Springville (this was a polygamist marriage). She was his brother, Myron's, widow, and brought two children into the marriage, Josephine and John. Spicer and Susannah had seven children: Tryphena Elizabeth, November 19, 1863; Myron Newton, November 29, 1865; Anna Marie, November 23, 1866; Peter Wells, August 16, 1869; Martha Lillian, November 6, 1872; Margaret Almeda, October 24, 1874; and George Alma, January 11, 1877. He was a hard-working man, being a farmer and shoemaker by trade. He did all he could for his families. He was a kind, gentle man. He didn't make a lot of money, but he left a legacy that money cannot buy. He never wavered in his devotion to the teachings of the Gospel. Spicer Wells Crandall died May 14, 1879, in Springville, Utah, Utah. At his funeral, a Brother Huntington said of him, "It is over forty years since I became acquainted with Brother Crandall in Kirtland, Ohio. We were school boys together. I can say in all our work together, I never saw an act in him from that day to this, that he should be ashamed of." Spicer is buried in the Historical Springville Cemetary next to Mary Brannigan. (http://crandallgen.blogspot.com/search/label/Crandall%20Spicer%20Wells%201822-1879)

Life timeline of Spicer Wells Crandall

Spicer Wells Crandall was born on 31 Dec 1822
Spicer Wells Crandall was 9 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
Spicer Wells Crandall was 17 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
See More
Spicer Wells Crandall was 37 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
See More
Spicer Wells Crandall was 40 years old when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring the freedom of all slaves in Confederate territory by January 1, 1863. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
See More
Spicer Wells Crandall died on 14 May 1879 at the age of 56
Grave record for Spicer Wells Crandall (31 Dec 1822 - 14 May 1879), BillionGraves Record 555957 Springville, Utah, Utah, United States