Sarah Willis

4 Feb 1825 - 30 Oct 1890


Sarah Willis

4 Feb 1825 - 30 Oct 1890
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

SARAH ANN WILLIS SCOTT BIRTH DATE: 4 February 1825 - Pittsburg, Pennsylvania DEATH: 30 October 1890 - Mill Creek, Salt Lake, Utah PARENTS: Benjamin Willis and Hannah Himbleright PIONEER: 24 September 1848 - Heber C. Kimball Wagon Train SPOUSE: John Scott MARRIED: 24 March 1848 - Nauvoo, Hancock Co.,
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Sarah Willis
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Sarah Willis


Salt Lake City Cemetery

200-250 N St
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
United States


September 23, 2013


September 18, 2013

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Sarah...

We found more records about Sarah Willis.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Sarah


Sarah Willis is buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Sarah Ann Willis Scott-Pioneer Women of Faith & Fortitude

Contributor: jeanniebug Created: 10 months ago Updated: 10 months ago

SARAH ANN WILLIS SCOTT BIRTH DATE: 4 February 1825 - Pittsburg, Pennsylvania DEATH: 30 October 1890 - Mill Creek, Salt Lake, Utah PARENTS: Benjamin Willis and Hannah Himbleright PIONEER: 24 September 1848 - Heber C. Kimball Wagon Train SPOUSE: John Scott MARRIED: 24 March 1848 - Nauvoo, Hancock Co., Illinois DEATH SP: 16 December 1876 - Mill Creek, Salt Lake Co., Utah CHILDREN: Joseph Lemuel, 16 April 1847 Rebecca Ann, 22 March 1849 Simeon, 25 May 1851 Zebulon, 2 December 1853 William Ruben, 28 December 1855 Hannah Maria, 2 March 1859 Martha Luzella, 19 July 1861 Sarah Melissa, 13 February 1864 Benjamin Franklin, 7 August 1868 Sarah Ann's parents and entire family joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but after the death of Joseph Smith, her father could not accept Brigham Young as his successor, and most of the family left the church at this time. Sarah married John Scott on March 24, 1846 as his third wife. Her father was very much opposed to this, and would have no contact with her. When the Saints were ready to leave Winter Quarters, John was asked to stay on to help other groups get ready for traveling. Finally, in the Spring of 1848, they joined the Heber C. Kimball Wagon Company. Sarah Ann's baby was only six weeks old, yet Sarah was able to drive one of the wagons. They had some interesting experiences on the Plains. Once some Indians surrounded them, but they were saved because a white man with the Indians had known John in Canada. They had been classmates. They arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on September 24, 1848, and were given some land south of the city. John was gone much of the time on Church assignments, and his three families lived together and struggled to feed their children. They lived on rationed flour and dug roots and sego lily bulbs. Sarah Ann did fancy sewing for the wealthier families. Some years later John built a home for Sarah Ann on 7th East and 33rd South, where she lived the rest of her life. As she got older her health became a problem, and she passed away on October 30, 1890 in Mill Creek, Salt Lake County, Utah. Pioneer Women of Faith and Fortitude, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1998, Volume 3, Page 2712

History of John Scott and Sarah Ann Willis (and other wives)

Contributor: jeanniebug Created: 10 months ago Updated: 10 months ago

John Scott 6 May 1811 – 16 December 1876 Northern Ireland has been a land in upheaval dating from the time of Henry VIII This period was the start of a long process that resulted in many of the original Celtic families being stripped of their land by the English Crown and being replaced by friends of the Crown. It started a major migration of numerous Lowland Scots and English to work in the plantation system that was being introduced by the new landlords. The Scott and Warnock families were, in all probability, from the Lowlands of Scotland and part of this migration. It is a long and interesting history of land in constant turmoil primarily caused by religious conflict and economic restrictions imposed by England; it remains a legacy that has not been resolved today. This particular group of Scots and English living in Northern Ireland were known as "Ulster men"; it is not a totally complementary name but it does imply toughness and determination. All of these factors contributed to a long history of significant migration to the United States and Canada from Ireland. John Scott, oldest son of Jacob Scott and Sarah Warnock, was born on May 6, 1811 in Armagh, Ireland. He emigrated to Canada with his parents, brothers and sisters, leaving Ireland on April 5, 1819. They landed in Quebec, Canada, sometime in May. From there they moved to Toronto, then to Markham County. John’s father taught school there one year. The following year, the family moved to Trafalgar on one hundred acres of land given them by the Government. This was given to all British subjects who were actual settlers. They resided in Trafalgar nearly eighteen years. John’s father built a nice home in Trafalgar and named it Ebinezer Hall. John Scott Page 1 John Scott married Elizabeth Meneary on April 15, 1836 in Ebinezer Hall. Elizabeth was born in Dublin, Ireland on September 19, 1815. She was the daughter of William Wallace Meneary and Catherine McMillan. She came to Canada with her parents sometime between 1819 and 1822 . While still living in Canada, their son, Isaac, was born on May 6, 1837. Elder Isaac Russell, one of Canada's pioneer missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter­Day Saints, came to Churchville, a village three miles from where they lived, and held meetings. Jacob Scott embraced the gospel and after this his entire family came into the Church. John and Elizabeth were baptized members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter ­day Saints at Churchville, Canada by Isaac Russell. The next year they, along with the other members of the Jacob Scott family, made arrangements to move with the Saints to Far West, Missouri. They left Canada on June 7, 1838, arriving in Far West on September 2, 1838. John Scott was called to Great Britain on his first mission in 1839 and went with some of the Twelve apostles. After passing through great persecution with the saints, the Scotts left Far West, Missouri, on May 18, 1840, and relocated about five miles north of Nauvoo . While living near the Mississippi River, on August 9, 1841 John's mother, Sarah, died. She was buried in Nauvoo. His father, Jacob Scott, died on January 2, 1845. Jacob lived a life of true holiness and devotion to God. He also was buried in Nauvoo. Just before he died he bore a strong testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel to his family. John was ordained a Seventy and became President of the Tenth Quorum of Seventy when they were first organized at Nauvoo. He was chosen as one of the Prophet Joseph Smith’s body guards, which position he held until the Prophet’s martyrdom. He very often related his experiences with the Prophet to his family and told how he loved Joseph and would have gone through death for him. He also held the position of Colonel in the First Regiment, Second Cohort of the Nauvoo Legion. He was very prominent as a military man in the early days of the church. When the Prophet and his brother Hyrum were martyred, John Scott went with others to get their bodies to bring them back to Nauvoo and he then helped with the burial. John Scott Page 2 After the Prophet’s death, there was great confusion over who should be President of the Church. John and Elizabeth bore testimony of the transfiguration of Brigham Young. They had no doubt in their minds that Brigham Young was the right man. He accepted and adopted the doctrine and the revelation on celestial and plural marriage as it was revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith. While living in Nauvoo, he took for his plural wives Mary Pugh on February 3, 1845 and Sarah Ann Willis on March 24, 1846. Mary Pugh was born on November 10, 1821 at Stretford, Hereford, England, the daughter of Edward Pugh and Mary Bailey. She was a twin, but Elizabeth, her sister, lived only a day or two. Mary was christened March 10, 1822. She first went to school at Dilwyn Commons. Afterwards she attended Eardisland School, and a private school at Haven Eilwyn. Her father was a mason and also spent part of his time as a farmer. She had a good education attending private schools and was taught tailoring by a private governess, so she was a splendid seamstress. Her father and mother were well to do and had a lovely home. It was then that she first heard Mormonism preached and she knew it to be tru e s o s h e obeye d h e r im pu l s e an d j oi n e d t h e c hu r c h b e in g ba p t i z ed a t S t ra t f o rd , En g l an d . At the risk of all earthly comforts and at the age of twenty one, she left father, mother, home and land and sailed to the United States. She reached Nauvoo in the year 1842 without money, relatives or even acquaintances. But saying that "this people is my people, and their God, my God," as Ruth of old, she felt perfectly at home with them and when she was sick, she was comforted and cared for. Sarah Ann Willis was born on February 4, 1825 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania. She was the daughter of Benjamin Willis and Hannah Hikbleright. Her parents were very religious and Sarah was well founded in the Bible, it being her reader at school. Her parents and whole family joined the L. D. S. Church, but her parents refused to acknowledge Brigham Young as successor to the Presidency of the Church and remained in the East when the Saints moved to the Rocky Mountains. Only Sarah and her brother John, of her family were to remain in The Church. John died while crossing the plains to Utah in 1856. Sarah's parents came west as part of the Gold Rush to California and passed through Salt Lake City in 1848, John Scott Page 3 but her father would not allow his wife to see Sarah because he was so opposed to plural marriage. It was a great grief to Sarah to find out later that her parents had passed through Salt Lake City and did not stop to see her. Years later her father came to Utah when he was about eighty years old and announced that he had decided to go back, sell out and come to Utah and rejoin the Church. He went back to Visalia, California, but he never lived to come back again. Sarah never saw her mother again after leaving Nauvoo. From Heber C. Kimball’s history we learn that on February 18, 1846, the companies were being organized and made ready to start to the Rocky Mountains. In the exodus from Nauvoo they secured about four hundred wagons. All were heavily loaded, but there were not half the number of teams necessary for a rapid journey. Most of the families were provided with the provisions to do several months. Colonel Steven Markham and about one hundred pioneers were sent in advance of the main body to prepare the roads. Colonel John Scott with about one hundred men and artillery and Josea Stout with about one hundred men acted as police guards, armed with rifles. On the morning of March 1, they were notified to be ready to start at noon. They reached the Missouri River about the middle of June. Here they found the Pottawatoma and the Omaha Indians friendly. It was then that the call came for six hundred men to go to Mexico to fight. They were mustered out and “The Mormon Battalion” started on their trek about the middle of July. The idea of the Saints going to the Rocky Mountains for that season was now abandoned. The Camp of Israel prepared to go into Winter Quarters. This name was given to their winter settlement on the Missouri River. This place is now known as Florence, Nebraska. President Brigham Young requested John Scott to remain one more year to assist those who would be in this company to be properly equipped for traveling across the plains. He did this and also went on a mission among the non­ Mormons to gather and collect old clothing to help the Saints for traveling. While at this work he converted three people to the Gospel. John Scott and his family started West May 30, 1848, in Heber C. Kimball’s company. John was chosen as Captain over 10 wagons. Mary and Sarah Ann took turns driving a team of mules. Elizabeth had five small children. Mary had one. At one time John Scott’s wagons were surrounded by Indians. They were saved by a white man who had some influence with John Scott Page 4 the Indians. The man had been captured by the Indians and had been compelled to live with them. He had known John Scott while they attended school together in Canada. They arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on September 24, 1848. After their arrival in Salt Lake Valley, they moved south of the City onto one hundred acres of land in Millcreek. There, through his influence and help, a school was built. It was named the Scott School and his wife, Mary, was the first teacher. This school went by the name of Scott for years, even after the new building replaced the old one. This building still stands in Salt Lake City and today is known as the Pioneer Craft House on 33rd South. On Friday, April 6, 1855, John received a call to go on his second mission to great Britain. He obeyed the call and left his families to face the hardships of building up a new country and of enduring the famine. During the summer the grasshoppers did serious damage, destroying nearly everything that was growing in many parts of Utah. They endured this and many other hardships. Every week flour was weighed and measured according to the number of children in the family. They gathered roots and Sego Lily bulbs for food. Sarah Ann did much hand sewing for people who could afford it. Such items and shirts and collars were made in exchange for flour. Anything and everything was done to keep their children from going hungry. When President Young received word that Johnson’s Army was on its way to Utah, he sent John Scott his mission release and told him to come home as speedily as possible. He arrived home by way of San Francisco on January 19, 1858. The Elders who labored and came home with him were: Elders Orson Pratt, Ezra T. Benson, John Ray, John M. Kay. William Miller, and others. John’s two oldest sons, Isaac and Ephraim, had been called into service. They had been the family’s main help and protection while their father was serving on his mission to England. When John arrived home, he moved the family to Provo with the Saints until the trouble was Over. The people had become almost destitute for clothing by now, but a market was found at the soldier’s camp where they bought produce. This circulated the money and enabled the people to supply themselves with clothing, shoes, and other necessities. After things settled down peacefully, people engaged in farming and other ways to make a living for their families. John Scott Page 5 On February 13, 1860, after his return from his second mission, John and Esther Yeates, his fourth wife, were married in the office of Brigham Young who performed the ceremony. Esther was born on April 4, 1848 to George Yeates and Mary Oliver in Droitwich, Worcestershire, England. She emigrated to the United States when she was sixteen, leaving family, friends and sweetheart behind for the sake of the gospel. She traveled from Florence, Nebraska (now Omaha) to Salt Lake City with the handcart company in 1859, suffering much hardship along the way. On several occasions, John Scott was sent to Southern Utah to protect the settlers from the Indians. Even though he believed that kindness was the best way to handle the Indians, he was obedient to those in authority. He believed that if the Indians were treated kindly and even fed, it was better than fighting them. He was always kind to them and had many friends among them. John Scott married his fifth wife, Angeline Keller, in 1868. Angeline was born 29 April 1851 in Millcreek, Utah. She was the daughter of Alva Keller and Roxey Lucina Elliot. She witnessed the destruction caused by the crickets and grasshoppers. She was just six years old when Johnson’s Army was a threat to their safety. Alva took his family to Alpine for protection until they could return to their home. Though she was only seventeen and John was fifty­seven, her parents encouraged the marriage. John moved his last two wives and their children to MilIville, Cache County, Utah, in 1868 or 1869 where he resided. In 1875 he came back to Millcreek to live on account of Elizabeth's poor health. He went back to Millville to visit his family and settle his business there. While on this trip, he caught a severe cold which developed into pneumonia. In less than a week he departed from this life, on December 16, 1876 at the age of sixty five. Before he died, he bore a faithful testimony to the truthfulness of the gospel to those of his family who were at his bedside. He died in full fellowship in the Church. His funeral was held in the Millcreek Ward, his old home. He was buried in the Salt Lake Cemetery. His wives were all splendid and honorable women. They lived the lives of good Latter­ day Saints and they were faithful. Their examples could well be followed by thier posterity. Elizabeth, the first wife, had always been called “Mother” by the entire family. She was in John Scott Page 6 every deed a second mother. When the children were young, ever family member would meet together in one large room in her part of the home for the evening prayers. Here John would have them sing a hymn and then they would have the family prayer. The children were kind and loving with each other and were united. Among those to attend and speak at John’s funeral service were President John Taylor, George Q Cannon and Joseph F. Smith. All spoke of his sterling qualities and noble character and also of the good things he had accomplished in the Church and communities where he had lived. He was loved by his brethren and sisters for his pleasant and cheerful ways. He was a man of great faith and people from miles around would send for him to administer to their sick. He was loved by all who knew him, always ready to help and give comfort and cheer to those in distress and need. His life was a blessing to his family and friends. His entire life was devoted to the Church and whenever the opportunity came, he testified that he knew that Joseph Smith was a true Prophet of God. Of his five wives, only Angeline remarried. Elizabeth died December 24, 1866 in Millcreek at the age of seventy one. Mary died on January 5, 1905 in Salt Lake City at eighty three. Sarah Ann died at age sixty five in Millcreek on October 30, 1890, Esther died in Logan at age seventy seven on April 21, 1890. And Angeline died in Elgin, Oregon on March 19, 1924 at the age of seventy two. John Scott Page 7 John Scott was the father of thirty seven children: The children of Elizabeth Meneary Scott: Isaac SCOTT, born 15 Feb 1837 Trafalgar, Hamilton, Ontario; married Martha MOORE Matilda SCOTT, born 6 Sep 1838 Far West, Caldwell, Missouri, died 3 Dec 1848 Louisa SCOTT, born 20 Mar 1840 Bloomfield, Adams, Illinois ; married Edward MORGAN Ephraim SCOTT, born 6 Jun 1842 Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois; married Sarah Ellen SMITHIES John Wiliam SCOTT, born 6 Nov 1844 Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois; married (1) Fannie Mariah ELLIS (2) Marinda V. WEAVER Elizabeth Ann SCOTT, born 15 Mar 1847 Winter Quarters, Douglas, Nebraska; married Robert SMITHIES Heber Moroni SCOTT; born 1 Nov 1949 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, died Sep 1859 Sarah Catherine SCOTT, born 4 Jul 1852 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, died 11 Sep 1854 Josiah SCOTT(twin), born 20 Aug 1854 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Mary Elizabeth WALTON Sophia SCOTT(twin), born 20 Aug 1854 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Edward MORGAN Alphonzo SCOTT(twin), born 28 Jan 1859 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Caroline PRATT Alvina SCOTT(twin), born 28 Jan 1859 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Thomas Henry ELLIS The children of Mary Pugh Scott: Hyrum SCOTT, born 15 Jul 1846 Council Bluffs, Pottawattame, Iowa, married Amelia Butterly MORGAN Mary Ellen SCOTT, born 22 May 1849 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Peter Sheffield BARSON Eliza Ann SCOTT, born 20 Oct 1952 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Peter Sheffield BARSON Lucy Jane SCOTT, born 19 Apr 1855 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married David Harvey PARK Vilate SCOTT, born 12 May 1861 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married (1) Richard Frederick FOWLER (2) Charles HILTON The children of Sarah Ann Willis Scott: Joseph Lemuel SCOTT, born 16 Apr 1847 Winter Quarters, Douglas, Nebraska, married Sarah J. HEMSLEY Rebecca SCOTT, born 25 Mar 1849 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Heber Charles KIMBALL Simeon Willis SCOTT, born 25 Aug 1851 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Martha ELLIS Zebulon SCOTT, born 2 Aug 1853 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, died 2 Oct 1854 William Reuben SCOTT, born 28 Dec 1855 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, Mary L. GREEN Hannah Marialt SCOTT, born Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married John Gillott MORGAN Martha Luzella SCOTT, born 19 Nov 1861 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Roderick McDONALD Sarah Melissa SCOTT, born 13 Feb 1864 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Winslow Farr WALKER Benjamin Franklin SCOTT; born 7 Aug 1869 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah,, married Rebecca HEMSLEY The children of Esther Yeates Scott: Brigham Yeates SCOTT, born 21 Apr 1861Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Sarah STODDARD 37 Mary Levina SCOTT, born 18 Apr 1863 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, died 1 may 1863 George Thomas SCOTT, born 20 Aug 1865 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Esther McKay LEISHMAN Sarah Marinda SCOTT; born 22 Nov 1867 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, married Henry BLAIR Esther Ann SCOTT, born 23 Dec 1869 Millville, Cache, Utah, married Joseph BINDRUP Frederick Walter SCOTT, born 27 Jul 1872 Millville, Cache, Utah, married Francis Omelia ROTHROCK Daniel SCOTT, born 16 Nov 1875 Millville, Cache, Utah, married Emma McNIEL The children of Angeline keller Scott: Winfield Madison SCOTT, born 4 Apr 1872 Millville, Cache, Utah, married Johanna Katherine JENSEN Mary A. SCOTT, born 8 Jan 1874 Millville, Cache, Utah, died 1886 Jacob Thaddeus SCOTT born 19 Feb 1876 Millville, Cache, Utah, married Winifred THOMAS Roxy Lucina SCOTT, born 1877 Millville, Cache, Utah, married Edward BLASER John Scott Page 8 Patriarchal Blessing of John Scott A Patriarchal Blessing pronounced by Joseph Smith Sr. upon the head of John Scott, son of Jacob Scott who was born in the town of Armagh and Kingdom of Ireland, May 6, 1811. Brother, by the authority given me of God and in the name of Jesus Chris I lay my hands upon thy head and bless thee with this blessing that thou shouldest have received from thy father for he should have conferred these blessings upon thee. Thou art an orphan for thou standest as an orphan to me, in as much as thy father is not prepared or has rejected his privilege of blessing thee. But you shall be blessed and shall be blessed by the power of God so that your enemies shall not be able to destroy you and you shall be preserved from harm and from danger. Thou are called to journey much and to go unto foreign lands for thou hast the priesthood conferred upon thee and thou shalt travel and preach the gospel to many nations, yea, thou shalt go to thy native land and preach to thy fathers friends and acquaintances and shall bring many of thy country men to the knowledge of the truth and shall lead them up to the land of Zion. God shall be with you and thou shall journey from land to land, from place to place, preaching the gospel and thy words shall be confirmed by miracles and signs. Be firm and unshaken in the faith and no blessings which thou desire to, shall be to great for thee. God has called you to a high and holy calling and he has caused thy name to be written in heaven never to be blotted out. You shall live to behold the time when peace shall be taken from this earth and shall be called of God to go forth and bless many of the scattered remnant of the house of Ephriam. You are of the blood of Ephriam and shall be called a son of Ephriam and you shall be blessed with the blessings of the children of Ephriam, for you are of the house of Joseph. Thou shalt help to push the people together, thou shalt labor much in the vineyard of the Lord and in the silent sleep of night, the heavens shall be unfolded to thy view and angels shall come down from the upper regions and minister to thee, and thou shalt be filled with the spirit and glory of God so that chains and fetters cannot bind thee and no prison can hold thee. Thy name shall be called blessed for thou art one of the covenant, thou and thy children shall have an inheritance with the saints in the land of Zion and shall behold the glory of God John Scott Page 9 during the thousand years reign of peace and righteousness. You shall not travel in all the world nor visit many nations, but you shall return to thy home in peace and be blessed and be an ornament to the church. I leave thee in the hands of God and seal thee to eternal life. Amen Given in the house of John Scott in the City of Farwest, Caldwell County, Missouri, January 31, A.D. 1839 John Scott Page 10

In Memory of My Pioneer Mother for Sarah Ann Willis Scott

Contributor: jeanniebug Created: 10 months ago Updated: 10 months ago

Written by: Sarah M. Walker February 4, 1932 You left your parents and all that was dear, traveling west to that dreary desolate land, to go with the saints led by a prophet and sear, over mountains rivers deserts and sand, It was eighteen hundred and forty-eight You entered the valley of Great Salt lake, Thinking there to find a perfect heaven of rest and serving your God you would be truly blest. When you did travel a weary thousand miles to show your faith and play your roll, Through sacrifice and prayers and cheering smiles to aid your people toward the chosen goal, New exaltation is thy happy boon, Love brought joyful blessings to thy Soul and peace and great blessing are atune Through all eternity they scroll unroll. Three score and five years measured your life's span They rested heavily on the honored head. It was part of Heavans ordained plan. To humble thee for trials and toil that led thee across the plains up from a humble cot. Along a trail of labor trials and tears. No comfort joy or peace was thy lot. So may they come through eternity of years. Your life was gaged in deeds not years. Nor selfish deeds without one thought of praise. Nor mindful of the careless jobs and jeers, of those who urged that goodness never pays. You served your husband and children all. Through trials and cares that are a mothers lot, Remembering the sweet and not the gall And wrote thy record without a stain or blot. You set your beacon light upon a hill That your children might see and seeing take new heart Tho you were a widow your larder you did fill And in your masters vineyard played your part, Fulfilled your mission full as well and true As those journed off to to distant lands You did all things what seemed right to do You were as umblemished as the wave washed sands. The world is better off for such a mother to have lived so nobly and high Who's reward is riches and joy eternal. And who's blest memories never die Your pages of life's years have been written Three score and five was your span No days were too long for your kindness You lived like a true mother can. I thank the dear Lord for a mother who's example laid In faith and love strong true foundation deep A brave dear soul who was so unafraid, Lived prayed and taught the way of life to keep, We thank thee for the three score and five years Filled full of service sacrifice and pain Partners with her children in laughter and tears Sharing together all of life's cares the same.

Sarah Ann Willis

Contributor: jeanniebug Created: 10 months ago Updated: 10 months ago

White with Green Rim Bowl I LeAnn Marie Gay Borzi daughter of Leona Gay Reynolds inherited from my mother Leona the bowl which is over 100 years old that came across the plains. The bowl came from Scotland from Sarah Ann Willis.

Life timeline of Sarah Willis

Sarah Willis was born on 4 Feb 1825
Sarah Willis was 7 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
Sarah Willis was 15 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
See More
Sarah Willis was 35 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
Sarah Willis was 36 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
See More
Sarah Willis was 50 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
See More
Sarah Willis was 59 years old when Eruption of Krakatoa: Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa in the Dutch East Indies began in the afternoon of Sunday, 26 August 1883, and peaked in the late morning of Monday, 27 August when over 70% of the island and its surrounding archipelago were destroyed as it collapsed into a caldera. Additional seismic activity was reported to have continued until February 1884, though reports of seismic activity after October 1883 were later dismissed by Rogier Verbeek's investigation into the eruption. The 1883 eruption was one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events in recorded history. At least 36,417 deaths are attributed to the eruption and the tsunamis it created. Significant additional effects were also felt around the world in the days and weeks after the volcano's eruption.
See More
Sarah Willis died on 30 Oct 1890 at the age of 65
Grave record for Sarah Willis (4 Feb 1825 - 30 Oct 1890), BillionGraves Record 5249745 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States