Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins)

17 Jan 1861 - 3 May 1936

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins)

17 Jan 1861 - 3 May 1936
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins) (17 Jan 1861 - 3 May 1936) at Monticello City Cemetery in Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins)


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States

Todd Millett

May 22, 2019

Todd Millett

May 22, 2019

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of Sarah J


Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins) is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



History of Fredrick Young Jensen Jr.

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

History of Fredrick Young Jensen Jr. By his son, Warren Clyde Jensen Fredrick Young Jensen Jr. was born 5 January 1884 in Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah. He is the 3rd child and 1st son of Fredrick Young Jensen Sr. and Elsie Marie Andersen Jensen. He attended school until the 8th grade in elementary school. Then one year at Snow Academy, being his ninth and last year in formal school. His father was very demanding in that the children must learn and work around the home. There were many things that had to be done, such as gardening, taking care of the chickens, pigs, cows, and horses. Also he helped in his father’s tin-shop. They had a large raspberry patch, which needed care. When dad was about sixteen he got a job helping the local photographer. He said he set up the tripod, cameras and many other small jobs. Then some times he would help in the dark room. This was only during the summer time. Dad told how he and his grandfather would herd the town milk cows on the west side of Ephraim. There was a big valley of grass and any one could use it for grazing. They would gather the cows in the morning and herd them down to the grassy lands. Stay with them all day and bring them back in town in the evening. He often tells about his lunch. He would mix molasses and bacon grease together and spread it between two slices of bread and that was his lunch. I like molasses but I have not mixed it with bacon grease, so I don’t think it would be one of my favorite foods. Many summers he got the chance to work in the fields putting up hay. He and his younger brother Walt worked together much of the time. Dad often said Walt was as strong as an ox. He said “I have seen him put a wagon tongue (not on the wagon) between his legs and hoist it up to a standing position.” When they worked in the fields they used to contest another two fellows in loads of hay. He and Walt were the winners with 22 loads in a day. From my remembrance of loading hay in our field, they were not just standing around they were making “Hay”. When dad was 18-19 he got a chance to go to Sugar City, Idaho to help build a sugar beet factory. After it was built he stayed on to work during the fall one year. He got a job the next summer driving a wagon-coach from the west entrance of Yellowstone Park into the area of Old Faithful or the lodges. He says he enjoyed this work, and I’m not sure how many summers he stayed at this job. Some summers he spent east of Ephraim in the mountains herding sheep, taking them up in the spring and staying all summer and bringing them back in the fall. Later he and his brother Jim learned how to shear the sheep. There was much travel to this job for you had to go to where the sheep were kept. One of his first travels was to the San Juan area. This was in 1910, when a group came to shear and it was done east of where Monticello is now. My mother was one of the cooks at the sheep camp. The work went on for a week or two and she would bring the mail from town out to the camp. After some time there were some letters for a “Tinker Jensen”. Mother asked who was this “Tinker Jensen”. Dad finally owned up to the name. It seems that the Danish people gave nick names to the family or friends by the occupation they held. Our grandfather Fredrick Young Jensen Sr. tinkered or worked with tin and so came his name. A friendship started from this that lasted over 50 years. During the winter months Dad would go back to Ephraim. Around 1915-16 he stayed at the Rogerson home during the fall and winter, working the farm with my mother’s family. I read a letter mother wrote to Dad while he was gone away shearing. In it she mentioned they had been hanging around together six or seven years and thought they should get married. Dad did have a small problem with tobacco but he was able to break it and get his recommend to go to the temple to be married. They rode by wagon to Thompson, Utah, got on the train and traveled to Salt Lake City and were married on the 2 October 1917. Coming back home they lived there with mother’s folks in their home. Dad helped “run” the farm. Additions were made on the home so that Dad and Mother had a bedroom on the east and Grandpa and Grandma had one on the west. This life style went on with addition of the four boys in our family. Grandpa Rogerson died in 1928 and Dad was the man to take care of the farm. In 1929 Dad purchased his first car, it was an Oldsmobile with a big metal trunk attached to the back framework and not with the body of the car. He was in seventh heaven, for now he could travel to Ephraim to visit his parents and family. We decided to go. It took about eight hours to get to Greenriver, Utah. We took camping equipment and slept in their park. Beside the river, with the train tracks close by, and a floor of sand and dead trees all around. At about midnight the train came through and naturally it blew it’s whistle. It scared Lisle so much he jumped out of bed and started running away from the park. Dad had to get up and catch him and bring him back to bed. After breakfast the next morning we started for Ephraim. We woke up with a heavy fog all around, and could only see 20 to 25 feet ahead of us. On the road out of Greenriver we had to cross those train tracks on the west side of town. Our car was about thirty feet over the tracks and the train came rolling by us. Mother said, “Our prayers this morning has been answered and the Lord was watching over us.” Our trip took us a long time because of road conditions, older car, and other things. We got to visit grandparents, relatives and friends. They invited us out to eat and seemed like we just finished a meal and had to go to another home and eat again. As we started home one of the relative kids gave us a small cat to take with us home. On the return trip Dad decided to go up over Orange mountain because of the scenery, rather than up to Price, Utah and then back. About half way up the mountain Dad knew where there was a fresh water spring. So he planned on stopping for water and rest. A little while before we got there some one could smell the worst smell possible. After looking around we found that the small cat had had a bowel movement. It was on the flour, on our shoes, and some on our clothes. What a horrible time, but we washed from the spring and did get most of the smell out before traveling on toward home. The cat stayed at the spring. Life continued, farming, shearing and custodial work. Dad was good at dressing out butchered animals, especially pigs. There was one time we had a large boar he wanted to dress out for the winter. The barrel was prepared, fire under it with water to the brim. Tripods fixed, boards on the sawhorses, knives sharp, block and tackle hanging from the tripod. We went out and Dad shot the boar and cut the jugular vein. When we had fixed the block and tackle to him and lowered him into the barrel we found he was too big and would not go into the barrel. So we lowered him onto the table and put burlap sacks all over him then powered the hot water on the sacks. Kind of steamed the hair loose. It was a little bit harder to clean but we did get the job done. What a large animal and we thought we would never get the lard rendered out. When Quinn turned 19 he decided to go on a mission for our church. He had been working for Pete Jones who said I’ll be happy to send him. Dad at the time was custodian for the Ward building in Monticello. His salary at the time was $30 per month. It was the same amount we needed to send Quinn. There was one problem the bishop took out Dad’s tithing before he paid him the $30. They had four boys born to them. Lisle and Quinn (twins) were born 2nd December 1919. There is a picture of Dad holding the twins, one on each arm in front of the home and had a grin from one ear to the other. Clyde was born 16 April 1921 and mother said he was born with (Yellow Jaundice) and looked like a little yellow mouse. Neal was born 27 July 1923 and was an extremely large baby. He weighed in at 15 lbs. 4 ounces. At the time of his birth Dr. Allen turned to Dad and said, “I’m not sure I can save them both who do you want me to work with first?” Dad said help mother. Nurses at the time took Neal worked with him. Finally they had both breathing and they would recover. In the spring Dad would shear sheep in Blanding and then go north to Wyoming over into Colorado and up into North and South Dakota. A man from Monticello (Fletcher Bronson) and one from Blanding (Chauncy Black) were his shearing partners. They did not travel as far north as Dad and the group he got associated with from other places. One was Duvall the other was Breedenthall. The Nielsons and Adams had sheep and it was mentioned by Lloyd Adams, that they would rather have Dad shear than any other sheep shearer. If it would be possible they would prefer him to shear all their sheep by himself. Course that would be impossible for he could not get them all done in the springtime. The reason they liked Dad was that he did not cut the skin on the sheep and made a cleaner job of shearing than the other men. We have gone and watched the men shear at the pens and it was a back breaking job to handle the sheep. Especially the large rams. I have seen men hand their bodies in a sling to be able to work, they could not bend their backs to do the work. One year as I watched, Dad said he was getting 12 cents each for shearing a ewe and 25 cents for a ram. In his best of condition Dad could shear 150 to 200 in one day. Shearing started in March and when they had finished in Blanding they would leave and had for Wyoming. It would be some time in July before he finished and got home. We were left with the farm work which consisted of tending cows, horses, pigs, chickens, and the garden, also the alfalfa in the fields. Mother always had a large garden and Dad liked fruit, especially apples. We had almost all the varieties that exist. Dad would get home just about the time we started to cut the hay. It seemed that it was necessary to get the hay in the stack before we could go to 24th July rodeo. Dad finally quit leaving home to shearing, and got the custodians job at the school. It was a family affair at first. The boys were expected to help sweep the classrooms after school. That was if we got started before basketball practice began. Many times we swept some, then practiced, and then went home to do chores. Sometimes the cows got milked at nine or ten at night. It was a going saying that the Jensen cows would kick if milked before dark. Dad liked basketball and often would stay and watch the Friday night game. It was Dad’s responsibility to lock up the school after a game and dance. I can remember many a Friday night going home and mother had a cake made in the black pan. The cake and cold milk was enjoyed, and not often was much cake left. Norma Christensen-Black mentioned how Dad was good to her. He would give her ten cents a room to help him sweep. She said she felt the luckiest girl in the school. Almost always had some spending money. A new school was built for the high school students. Dad remained at the same one for the elementary students. His schedule was to get there about 5:00 or 5:30 to stoke the furnace and turn up the heat. He had an automatic stoker but more than not it would not work. Dad would almost fill a #3 tub and lift it up into the stoker bin. It took four or five tubs to fill the stoker. He then dusted teachers desks and in general the rooms. School started at 8:00 A.M. and after it had got underway he would go home for breakfast. Many times he would go back for an emergency but always was there by 2:30 P.M. School was out at 3:00 P.M. and he would start cleaning the rooms. Dad was liked by the faculty and all the kids. He always had a piece of candy in his pocket for his favorites. When the kids saw him it was always “Hi Fred”, grab his hand and walk down the hall with him. Mother was annoyed by the fact that they called him by his first name, but Dad loved it and the kids. Dad held his job until he was over 75 and decided to retire. The school officials still wanted him to work but he stopped to take care of mother. Mother passed away 25 Feb 1963. Dad stayed around home for some time. Going to Salt Lake during the winter to be with the boys. He came to Arizona a number of springs and went to the temple daily. I can just see him get up in the morning and walk to the window looking out and saying “Well it looks like another beautiful day”. When Warren had finished his mission we decided to go pick him up and come home. We would fly to Detroit, Michigan, buy a new car drive to New York and see the worlds fair. Then on to Louisiana and get him. This would be a big trip for us so we wanted to take Dad with us. He was a bit reluctant to fly but with the persuasion from the family he says all right. There was so many things we did and saw on this trip. Like going through the Ford Mustang plant in Dearborn, Michigan. As we walked through the plant all of a sudden Dad was not with us. Going back we found he had stopped to watch a special project they were working on. After leaving Detroit we drove up to Niagara Falls on the Canadian side. Got a motel, then drove down to the falls. Standing by the fence and watching the vast amount of water going over the falls, I asked Dad “Well what do you think?” He said “Boy sure a lots of water going to waste.” We then drove to Buffalo, New York and stopped to visit his grandson Freddie Jensen who was on a work mission. We had a unique situation in finding him but finally did and had a good visit for sometime. Going from there over to Rochester and met an old friend who was in the CCC Camp in Blanding, Utah, Steve Termini. We stayed two nights with him and at night we went to Palmyra to see the Mormon Pageant. Getting ready to drive down it looked like rain and I said to Steve “Do you have a rain coat”? He very quick came back at me and said “No this is Mormon Holy hour it won’t rain at the pageant”. It did rain right up till ten minutes before starting time. It shut off completely and we saw the pageant. Getting back into our car to go home, that’s when it came down. A regular frog strangler. We were very impressed with the pageant and mentioned what a spectacular showing. We then drove up to Sharon, Vermont, on over to the Atlantic Ocean. Dad was wearing his dress Stetson hat. When one fellow saw our Arizona license plate and Dad got out of the car he loudly told his friends “Hey look a real western cowboy”. Driving on to Queens we had a couple of rooms rented and could go to the Worlds Fair from his home. Our first stop was the L.D.S. Pavilion and after seeing the film we were getting ready to go to the rest of the fair when a missionary came up to Dad and asked “Are you from Monticello, Utah”? Sure was a surprise to him and the missionary was Francis Redd-White’s son from LaSal, Utah. The same thing happened here at the fair that happened in the Ford plant, while making the rounds all of a sudden Dad was not with us. We lost him several times. We had the opportunity to go to Radio City Music Hall to see a show. After the show when the people came out of the theater the traffic was stopped and we could cross the intersection any way we wanted. Dad said he never saw so many people all at once going in all directions. From here we drove on to Washington D.C. and then on to Louisiana. Dad mentioned each day “I wonder where we will stay tonight”. Often driving with an overcast sky he would say “Do you think we are going in the right direction”. It seemed to him we were headed back north, east or west, just the opposite we were supposed to be going. After picking up Warren we headed back to Arizona, going through Texas, Oklahoma, and Colorado. We stopped in Oklahoma to see Maxine’s parents. Then on to Arizona hardly stopping until we got here. A few days later Dad flew on to Salt Lake City. Naturally as he got older things become harder for him to do around the yard. He did raise some garden and had some of the prettiest tulips I have ever seen. One day I called him on the phone to see how he was doing and he said I can’t stay at hoeing as long as I used to do. Then I told him you shouldn’t be able to because you are over 85 years old. He spent much of the last years of his life in Salt Lake with Lisle and Neal. They and their families were real Samaritans in taking care of him during this time. Dad had had a few surgeries but cancer had grown and blocked his lower bowels. I think the last time he was admitted into the hospital he felt like he wouldn’t get out. He died 1st October 1978 in the hospital in Bountiful, Utah. We buried him in Monticello, Utah on the 6th of October 1978. He made one record of attending Sunday School without missing a day for one year in his early years. He went to the Manti temple to be baptized when he was twenty years old. He was blessed by Andrew Thompson on March 6, 1884. He was baptized by William A. Gyman on March 1, 1904. He was confirmed by Horace Thornton on March 1, 1904. He was ordained a Priest by C.R. Dorius on March 30, 1904. He was ordained an Elder by F.I. Jones. He was ordained a High Priest by W.H. Redd on October 19, 1930.

John Edward Rogerson and Sarah Jane Perkins

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

John Edward Rogerson and Sarah Jane Perkins From Saga of San Juan p. 333-334 John Edward Rogerson was born in Preston, England, February 29, 1848. He was the youngest of ten children. His mother’s name was Mary Ferron. She heard the gospel, was converted, joined the church, and came to Utah. John’s father would not accompany them because he had a good job and would not give it up. He had told his wife to bring her Mormon gods to the house and feed them but nevery ask him to come to the meeting. John’s mother was converted and was baptized in the River Ribble, being the first to be baptized by Heber C. Kimball. She sailed to America on the ship Horizon. John E. Was also baptized in the River Ribble, at the age of eight by James Crige in 1850. The family arrived in Boston June 30, 1856. They left Iowa July 28, 1856, with the ill-fated Edward Martin Hand Cart Company. They nearly starved to death before reaching Salt Lake City. From there they were called to Parowan. John E. worked at Brother Prince’s shingle mill all summer. He was called to Monticello in 1888, where he lived until he died. John E. Rogerson was sustained as Sunday School Superintendent in November. He also was supervisor of the road, choir leader, and called for all the square dances for many years. He died June 22, 1928. Sarah Jane Perkins was born in Parowan, Iron County, Utah, January 17, 1861. Her father died when she was nine years old. She received part of her education in Parowan under Morgan Richard and John Dalley and then went to Salt Lake City to sutdy under Mrs. Cook. Sarah Jane and John E. Rogerson were married in Beaver, Utah, the year the pioneers were called to settle San Juan County in 1879. However, they did not leave for several years. Mr. Rogerson worked at the Copper Saw Mill, milked cows, made cheese and butter for the camp, and also made shingles at the Prince sawmill. In 1886, the Rogersons came to Bluff but went on to Mancos, Colorado, to see Sarah Jane’s mother, brother and sister. The next year they were called to help settle the Blue Mountains, now known as Monticello. This was the saddest day of Mrs. Rogerson’s life to leave her mother and come to a strange land with Indians and cowboys. She cried for three days. The family unit prayed for her and from then on she loved Monticello because peace came to her soul. The winter of 1888-89, she taught school in her own home with nine pupils in attendance. In the fall of 1889, President Hammond organized the Monticello Primary with S. J. Rogerson as president, at this same time making her stake Relief Society secretary. In the winter of 1889-90, she was sustained as counselor in the Y.L.M.I.A. She was also secretary of the ward Relief Society for years, and was president of the Primary for twenty years. In the fall of 1900, she was appointed a deputy county clerk of San Juan County and at the next election became county treasurer doing the work for both offices. When later elected county clerk, she held the position for fourteen years and served as town clerk for eight. She also sent two sons on a mission. After living a full life she died in Monticello May, 1936.

Sarah Jane Perkins Rogerson - Death Announcement

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Sarah Jane Perkins Rogerson San Juan Record 1936-05-07 PROMINENT LADY IS CALLED BY DEATH The people of San Juan County were saddened Sunday morning when word was received that Mrs Sarah Jane Rogerson had died at her home in Monticello during the night. Mrs Rogerson came to Monticello with her husband and two small chidren in 1888. Almost immediately, began a career in public life, when she became the first school teacher here. The front room of her home was the only school house for a period of three years. Following this period Mrs Rogerson was elected to the office of county clerk and held the position for a period of 15 years and was president of the Primary association and secretary of the Relief society for 20 years. Following the incorporation of the town Mrs Rogerson became the town clerk, which position she also held for many years. Aside from her public duties, Mrs Rogerson was an outstanding housewife and good mother. Her home was a conservatory of potted plants making it the envy of some and the admiration of all. She was also adept at needle work. Mrs Rogerson was born in Parowan, Utah on January 17, 1861 where she grew to womanhood and where she married J Edward Rogerson October 2, 1878. Five children were born to the union, four of whom are living. They are: J. Edward of Provo; LaVerna Jensen of Monticello; Jean of Salt Lake City and Lynn of St. George. Impressive funeral ceremonies were held at the Monticello L D S church Monday afternoon, the local schools dismissing to attend the service.

Life timeline of Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins)

Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins) was born on 17 Jan 1861
Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins) was 17 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins) was 24 years old when Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is published in the United States. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a novel by Mark Twain, first published in the United Kingdom in December 1884 and in the United States in February 1885. Commonly named among the Great American Novels, the work is among the first in major American literature to be written throughout in vernacular English, characterized by local color regionalism. It is told in the first person by Huckleberry "Huck" Finn, the narrator of two other Twain novels and a friend of Tom Sawyer. It is a direct sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins) was 31 years old when Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins) was 43 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins) was 53 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins) was 69 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins) died on 3 May 1936 at the age of 75
Grave record for Sarah J Rogerson (Perkins) (17 Jan 1861 - 3 May 1936), BillionGraves Record 31304898 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States