Samuel Leo Hymas

9 May 1899 - 16 Jan 1979


Samuel Leo Hymas

9 May 1899 - 16 Jan 1979
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Samuel Leo Hymas (9 May 1899 - 16 Jan 1979) at Smithfield City Cemetery in Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Samuel Leo Hymas
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Samuel Leo Hymas


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States


May 27, 2012


April 15, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Samuel Leo...

We found more records about Samuel Leo Hymas.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Samuel Leo


Samuel Leo Hymas is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Car Wash Inside and Out - See Crossley and Hymas

Contributor: apockalipse Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Growing up near grandparents was an important part of my life as I grew older. Between the ages of 15 to 19 I was blessed wit the opportunity of going fishing with my grandparents - Lowell and Fawn Crossley. I learned some fishing techniques from grandpa, like chumming, using 2 hooks versus 1, and using barrel sinkers. I loved fishing and had been going up High Creek, or fishing from a boat with my neighbor, or floating and fishing down the Bear River Narrows with my best friend Gordon, but there was something special when it came to fishing with Grandma and grandpa. They loved it more than anything they could do together. Grandpa would set up and bait the hooks for grandma and then cast it out. She would pull in the fish more times than he would and I seen her pull in two at a time many times - one on each hook. Every week during fishing season they were going to some favorite fishing spot in Idaho. One Saturday they decided to go to Windor Reservoir just out of Preston Idaho. I was invited to go, but I had to work. This day was not one of their better days I learned later as they related the story. As they were crossing the dam going to their favorite spot grandpa hit a rock and knocked out the oil pan. They decided to try and turn the car around so that they could get a local farmer to help them tow it back into preston to get it repaired. As they were pushing and working the car around, they got too close to the edge of the dam and pushed it over the side allowing the car to roll right into the dam. Only the very top of the car was showing as it was all under water. Grandpa was able to find a local farmer with a cat or tractor to pull it out and tow it to a shop for repairs and cleaning. It was not funny at the time, but they laughed about it many times. The car from that day forward always smelled "fishy". However, this was not the end of the story. Since Grandpa and grandma had no car for a few weeks to go fishing, grandpa was invited to go with his brother-in-law Sam Hymas (Grandma's brother) the next Saturday up to Twin Lakes (also in southern Idaho). As they were backing Sam's boat down the dock to put it in the water, Uncle Sam's car lost it's brakes and the boat and the car went rolling down into the water. And the only thing showing was, once again, the top of the car. Two weekends in a row they had the misfortune of having their cars go completely underwater. To make things really good, the drug store (SOS Drug) in Smithfield, where they both lived, put a big sign in the Window which said, "CAR WASH - INSIDE AND OUT - SEE CROSSLEY AND HYMAS"

Alfred C Hymas - Memories by Ruth Richards Hymas (Wife of Charles)

Contributor: apockalipse Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Alfred and twin sister, Susan, were always very close and their birthday celebration was looked forward to each year with great anticipation by all the family members. In 1915, just before Christmas, Alfred was very sick with a ruptured appendix. He spent several weeks in the hospital, so during this time Charles was the children's Santa and took care of getting the midwife, who was Alfred's mother, to Liberty in time for Maida's birth. Each year Alfred took a load of grain to the flour mill in Montpelier to have milled into flower and cereal. This supplied the family through the year. This was a particular help to Ruth in about 1920 when Charles was on his mission in Australia, they having been married the year previously. It was about this time that Alfred purchased their first car, a Model- T Ford. This car was traded several times between Alfred and his two oldest sons Charles and Sam, most of the time for horses. In the church he worked most of the time with the youth. A story is told about when he was in charge of the youth dances in the area. The church was not accepting the "waltz" very well and the bishop was allowing only two waltzes to be danced each night. When Alfred allowed a few extras, this apparently upset the bishop somewhat because he recommended that Alfred either be cut off from the church or he and his family be sent to Canada. This of course didn't happen. Alfred worked hard in the community. He served as the phone linesman in that area for many years, keeping the lines repaired and the phones operating through the severe Bear Lake winters. He was president of that area Farm Bureau. This meant that in times of drought or other difficulties that put the area farmers in trouble, he would travel to other places and obtain hay and grain to feed the cattle. . He apparently did this task well as he is credited with saving many of the livestock during these difficult times. Charles relates his emotions when his father had his leg amputated just before his death and the doctor gave the leg to him and Sam to bury, which they did in their back yard only to be dug up a few days later to be buried with Alfred following his death. These were hard times for the family and memories were vivid of driving back from Logan with the body in the car, no funeral homes or embalming then, but burial by the family in a homemade casket after viewing in the family living room. Alfred died on a Sunday, 15 April 1934 and was buried on 17 April 1934 in the Liberty cemetery. Some information on Alfred: Baptized 22 April 1882 by James Poulsen Confrrmed 23 April 1882 by James Poulsen Ordained an Elder 3 November 1895 by Hyrum H. Hymas Ordained a Seventy 15 June 1913 by Roy A. Welker Ordained a High Priest 31 May 1924 by James E. Talmage Served as Superintendent of Sunday School' about 1911 Served as second counselor in Sharon Ward Bishopric 1924-26 Letter written to Maida by Nellie Miller, a family friend: I met your father when I went to Sharon to teach school. He was a member of the Bishopric and I remember he had a very pleasing personality, always wore a smile and seemed interested in everyone. After Albert and I were married, five years later, he was no longer in the Bishopric. It was Bishop Gambling, Samuel Leo Hymas and Albert E. Miller at that time, but your father was our first visiting teacher. I remember what a good feeling I had when he came to visit. No one could have been a more welcome visitor than he was. I thought he was about the kindest person I had ever met. Also that he was interested in us and our welfare. It seems that it wasn't much after this that his health broke down and I remember the sympathy I felt for him and your mother and family, and the sorrow we felt at his passing away. Albert remembers an incident that happened. He said when he bought the Gertsch farm, Mr. Gertsch had switched the end of the fence they were to fix which left your father fixing the end hardest to fence. Albert called him on the phone and had a few words of disagreement. A few days later your father came in and very kindly they talked over the problem and it was settled with a good feeling for both of them. He was very accommodating with the use of his truck. He was about the only man with a truck. He went to Noonan and brought a piano to us. He also went to Montpelier to bring a bull home from the railroad station for us. Your father was a very good, kind, honorable and loving person. We never in all those years had a better neighbor than he was. Letter to Maida from Harold H. Pugmire: In the summer of 1907, the year I was six years old, Aunt Ella Hymas, the lady who took me to care for me when my mother died, moved back to Liberty, Idaho to take care of the cows. Her husband, Uncle James Hymas, was on a mission at the time and was to return home that fall. Aunt Ella and I had been living in Paris, Idaho while Uncle Jim was on his mission. We lived at the home of Uncle William and Aunt Em Rich and Aunt Ella helped Aunt Em with the housework and other necessary things. In Liberty, Alfred C. and Mary Hymas were living on the lot where Della Hymas' home now is and we lived on the lot where Eva and Lane Hymas now live, so our families were close together and Uncle Alf and Aunt Mary were some of the first people I remember that summer. All the neighbors called him "Uncle Alf" and he was liked by everyone. I was often to their home as I grew up and I played with Charles, Sam, Arvilla and Ray. I thought Charles and Sam were big boys as they were a few years older than I. Arvilla was only a few months older and Ray a few months younger so I spent more time with him than the others. I remember when Reed was born. Aunt Ella went over there often to help out with the new baby. In those days the babies were born at home and all the neighbor ladies helped each other as their babies were born so I got 0 go along and play while she was doing her work .. I remember when Ray fell off the picket fence and broke his leg. Uncle Alf was very kind to Aunt Ella that summer and was always helping our family when he could. I remember Uncle Alf and Uncle Jim changing work when necessary and when the first telephones came to Liberty, theirs were the first two phones installed and they helped each other install them. I also remember them working on the hay baler together. (It was the custom then to stack the hay in the summer and then in the late fall and winter, as time permitted, they would bale the hay out of the stacks.) They worked with Joseph M. Hymas, their cousin, who owned the baler. I also remember Uncle Alf when he was the Ward Sunday School Superintendent and that he was active in the church and community affairs. I never remember him speaking cross to we children when we were around him. Uncle Alf had a hard time providing for his family for besides the five children mentioned above, Elfonda, Susie, Elsie, Maida and Veda were added to the family and it was quite a task to provide food and clothing for that many. His farm acreage was small, he had a few cows and he hauled milk to the Paris Creamery. He also did odd jobs to earn what money he could. He never accumulated much of this worlds goods, but he was a good man, honest in his dealings with people, a good neighbor, a diligent member of the church and was friendly and kind to everyone. All that knew him were very sad when he passed away. He was of the second generation of the Hymas family who helped settle Liberty and he has a large posterity. I'm proud to have been so closely associated with the Hymas family as I was growing up and I have many fond memories of Uncle Alf and Aunt Mary.

Life timeline of Samuel Leo Hymas

Samuel Leo Hymas was born on 9 May 1899
Samuel Leo Hymas was 9 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
Samuel Leo Hymas was 15 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Samuel Leo Hymas was 30 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
Samuel Leo Hymas was 40 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Samuel Leo Hymas was 46 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Samuel Leo Hymas was 58 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Samuel Leo Hymas was 65 years old when Martin Luther King Jr. received the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolence. Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement from 1954 until his death in 1968. Born in Atlanta, King is best known for advancing civil rights through nonviolence and civil disobedience, tactics his Christian beliefs and the nonviolent activism of Mahatma Gandhi helped inspire.
Samuel Leo Hymas died on 16 Jan 1979 at the age of 79
Grave record for Samuel Leo Hymas (9 May 1899 - 16 Jan 1979), BillionGraves Record 1234476 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States