Samuel Buckley

28 Feb 1815 - 17 May 1889

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Samuel Buckley

28 Feb 1815 - 17 May 1889
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

CHAPTER I Buckley Family History The following account of the Buckley history was written in the 1970s by my father Raymond Buckley Richan who originally titled his work, 'A Short Account of the Lineal History of Descendants of William and Jane Lockett Buckley'. Some notes and updates by Raymond 's

Life Information

Samuel Buckley


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


June 6, 2011

Provo City Cemetery

January 1, 1970

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Samuel


Samuel Buckley is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Buckley Family History by Genie (Eugenia) Richan Hatch - 2015

Contributor: aswinney Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

CHAPTER I Buckley Family History The following account of the Buckley history was written in the 1970s by my father Raymond Buckley Richan who originally titled his work, "A Short Account of the Lineal History of Descendants of William and Jane Lockett Buckley". Some notes and updates by Raymond 's daughter, Eugenia, are italicized and in brackets . While working through the Buckley genealogy lines it was quite interesting to see how and where the family names were handed down, so I have endeavored to trace these down to the present time and include a little family history from a rather personal point of view. This record starts with the birth of our great-grandparents, Samuel and Sarah Unwin Buckley as that is as far back as we presently have a record, and it begins with the baptismal record in the little parish of Chorley, Lancashire, England, which states that on October 13, 1815, Jane the daughter and Samuel the son of William Buckley and Jane were baptized. The birth date of Samuel was given as March 1, 1813, but the birth date of Jane was not given. Presumably she was just an infant. A subsequent record states that she died at the age of three. This baptism, of course, took place in the Church of England. At the present time we do not have a record of any other children of William and Jane. [The exceptions may be a census record showing a John Buckley who lived near Samuel Buckley in Shirebrook (see following page) and a son Jonathan born in 1805 to a William and Jane Buckley in Stockport near Manchester.] In that same year of 1815, in the neighboring town of Shirebrook is recorded the birth of a daughter on December 17, 1815, to George Unwin Dabourer] and his wife Ann Wass [seen as Wasp in some records] Unwin and they named her Sarah. 1815 was a memorable year, historically. Napolean was defeated at Waterloo by the English General Wellington. How much effect this had on the Buckleys and Unwins we do not know but probably not much on young Samuel and Sarah. [A marriage record has recently been located for William Buckley and Jane Lockett. They were married 18 Aug 1805 in Cheadle, Cheshire, England. Cheadle is a suburb of Stockport which is a borough of Greater Manchester. Greater Manchester lies in Lancashire to the north and Cheshire to the south. There is also a John Buckley found in the early LDS church records in the same branch as Samuel and hisfamily, so it seems likely that Samuel and John are brothers, as well as the previously mentioned Jonathan B.Hinckley. The following story is related by James and Lavelle Moss: "During his last visit to Chatburn and Downham in 1838, Elder [Heber CJ Kimball experienced a great spiritual moment as the children of the villages walked the mile between them singing hymns and holding hands, while their parents called down blessings upon Elder Kimball from their houses. He reported that he wept so profusely at the time, he had to leave the road three times to bathe his eyes in the nearby streams so he could see the road. He felt the Spirit so strongly he removed his hat and felt like removing his shoes as well. Finally, he bestowed an apostolic blessing upon the whole region in response to the great spiritual manifestations he received. "When he returned to the United States, Elder Kimball reported the experience to Joseph Smith. The prophet then told him: 'Did you not understand it? That is a place where some of the old prophets travelled and dedicated that land, and their blessings fell upon you.'" (Church News, week ending June 18, 1994.) Samuel and Sarah Unwin Buckley Children born to Samuel and Sarah Unwin Buckley Date of BirthPlace of Birth William - 28Nov1838 - Shirebrook, Derbyshire, England Jane - 03 Feb 1841 Mary - 14Aug 1843 John - 01June1846 - Calver, Derbyshire , England Samuel - 04Dec1849 George - 04May1852 - Brampton , Derbyshire, England Jonathan - 24Nov1853 - Calver, Derbyshire, England Sarah Ann - 18 Sep 1856 - Calver, Derbyshire, England Samuel and Sarah grew up and in the year 1838, in the parish church at Pleasley, Derbyshire , England, Samuel Buckley, age 23, and Sarah Unwin, age 22, according to the parish register, but a little older actually, were married on April 15, and they duly signed their "x" marks as did their witnesses. The Buckleys were living in Pleasley and the Unwins were living in Shirebrook some two and a quarter miles away. The bride and groom listed their occupations as cotton spinners, so their romance may have blossomed in one of the neighboring cotton mills. On November 28, 1838, their first child was born, a son whom they named William after his grandfather no doubt. In 1841they had a daughter whom they named Jane, after her grandmother. Little Jane died in 1844. Their next child, a daughter whom they named Mary, was born in 1843. [They were all born in Shirebrook and christened in Pleasley, because there was not yet a parish church in Shirebrook.] St. Michael's Parish Church in Pleasley where Buckleys and Unwins were christened and married. In 1846 they had another son whom they named John. By now the family was living in the little hamlet of Calver [pronounced Carver] near Bakewell. In 1849 another son was born and he was named Samuel, undoubtedly after his own father. He was always referred to as Sam. In the meantime, as a matter of history , the Mormon missionaries had come to England and were making converts. Apparently Sarah Unwin Buckley was the first of the family to be baptized and this was on March 25, 1847. Her husband Samuel was baptized February 14, 1848, and son William was baptized November 12, 1849, he being the only child old enough at that time. However, no other members of the family were baptized until they became adults as far as we have record. In the 1851 census the family was still residing in Calver . [According to early LDS Church records in 1852 the Buckleys were living in the village of Brampton near Chesterfield.] A son George, named after his maternal grandfather, was born there May 4, 1852. [Actually, George was born in Brampton .] From May, 1852, to September, 1853, they lived in the seaport town of Hull in Yorkshire. Their baby George died in Hull in 1852 and in 1853 they returned to Calver. They had a daughter, Sarah Ann, named after her mother and maternal grandmother, born September 18, 1856 and a son, Jonathan, born November 24, 1857. Sarah Ann died in 1865 at the age of nine. Cotton Mill in Calver where the Buckleys worked.from about 1848 to 1865, now converted to an apartment house. 1851 census shows the Buckley family visiting with an LDS missionary, John Brewitt Milner from Nottingham. Elder Milner also emigrated to Provo, Utah. He later spoke at the funerals of Sarah Rose Buckley and Samuel Buckley in Provo. Samuel, no doubt, continued to work in the cotton mills, as did the children when they became old enough, but while they were living in Calver he went into the business of peddling yeast. He had a horse and buggy and traveled around the countryside. He must have made a fair living as they had a harmonium (small organ) in their home and the children all received a fair rudimentary education. The children were also given the advantage of musical training as provided in the church choirs (Church of England) since they all had good voices. In the 1871 census the Buckleys were residing in New Street in Bakewell, a town near Calver. By this time two of their sons William and John had married and become widowers, and the care of their children was left some of the time to Samuel and Sarah. Early LDS church records in Bakewell show Sam and Jonathan were baptized April 19, 1868. COITON SPINNING Cotton spinning seems to have been a way of lifefor several generations in the Buckley family. Adults and children worked long hours in the mills, usually 12 to 14 hours a day, six days a week. Children at times were apprenticed as young as the age of five. One tender mercy was thefact that families usually got to stand together as they worked and the children would learn from the parents. Below is a photo of the Calver Mill School where the Buckley children likely attended school. The building was built in 1817 as a Sunday School, but later was used as a mill school after the passage of the 1833 Factory Act. The Factory Act of 1833 was an attempt to establish a regular working day in the textile industry. The act had the following provisions: (taken from Wikipedia) •Children (ages 14-18) must not work more than 12 hours a day with an hour lunch break. •Children (ages 9-13) must not work more than B hours with an hour lunch break. •Children (ages 9-13) must have two hours of education per day. •Outlawed the employment of children under 9 in the textile industry •Children under 18 must not work in the night •Provided for routine inspections of factories Calver Mill School Today, even adults would not like working under these conditions, but before the 1833 Factory Act conditions were much worse. Work in a cotton mill was noisy, hot in summer, cold in the winter, and often dangerous, especially for children. Bits of cotton were always floating throughout the factory and could sometimes cause COPD or pulmonary lung disease . In 1874 Samuel, Sarah, young Sam and granddaughter Elizabeth, William 's daughter by Elizabeth Jepson, emigrated to the United States [on the ship Wyoming where Samuel listed his occupation as that of a miner in the ship's manifest] and came directly to Provo since son William was already settled there as were John and Jonathan. Samuel went to work in the woolen mills. They had a home (below) located at 491 North 300 East in Provo. Endowment House in Salt Lake City. Apostle Daniel H. Wells officiated. Samuel and Sarah are buried next to each other in the Provo City Cemetery. They had previously purchased a large plot in the cemetery where several Buckleys were subsequently buried. This plot is located at 6th West and Main Street in the cemetery . This has been a brief glimpse of Samuel and Sarah Buckley, and now I'll turn to their various children with a little more detail... Young Sam never married and continued to live with his parents. He died in 1887. Samuel died two years later in 1889 and Sarah followed about a year later in 1890.The home was then sold and the money divided among the four surviving children. On 14 October 1880, Samuel and Sarah were sealed for time and eternity in the [Before continuing with Raymond's narrative, I would like to add a little more about Samuel and Sarah as written by their granddaughter, Jennie Buckley Newell and given to me by Marilyn Hicks, a granddaughter of Jennie.] Wrote Jennie: As was customary in the Foreign Countries, children were put to work early - usually following the trade or occupation of their fathers. Thus my Father [ William] received his early training in the cotton mills....This was to stand him in good stead and also prove a blessing in later years in the development of the woolen mill industry in far off Utah, a land to which my Grandparents and their children turned their eyes in faith. After they had accepted the Gospel, which they did when the glad tidings were carried to England by the very first Mormon Elders sent out from Zion, they had the urge always foremost in their hearts to gather to Zion ... My Grandmother kept open house always for the bearers of the Gospel message and many times my Grandfather was compelled to seek new employment when the news was broadcast that the Buckleys were giving shelter to the despised Mormons again. In one instance he appealed to Bro._ and said, "I am again given the choice, either I can refuse to give shelter and food to the Elders or give up my position, " to which Bro.replied, "Bro.Samuel, do as you feel best - but this I promise you- as one door is closed another will be opened." This statement was indeed a prophecy for Grandfather secured much better work and was able to save more money which was always put away with the sole purpose in view of immigrating to Utah. # CHAPTER 2 Children of Samuel and Sarah Buckley John, Jonathan, Mary and William William Buckley William was the oldest son of Samuel and Sarah. He was born in 1838. We don't have the exact date that William was married to Elizabeth Jepson, a girl some ten [3] years his senior, but it probably occurred in 1863 [20 September 1862]. They had a daughter born in 1864 who they named Elizabeth Ann after her mother. Wife Elizabeth died in 1865 and the infant daughter was taken in by the Jepson grandparents and raised for the next few years. [How ever, census records show that she lived with her Buckley grandparents, at least at the time of the 1871 census, and she emigrated to the United States with them]. More later about little Elizabeth [and William]. William was ordained an Elder in the church June 18,1856, at the age of 17. It was at this time that he is said to have served a mission for the LDS Church in England. (Provo Fourth Ward Record- Life Sketch) Mary Buckley Continuing now with the children of Samuel and Sarah, we come to daughter Mary. She was born in 1843 and was married in England to John Smith. They later came to America and lived in Rock Springs, Wyoming, for many years before finally moving to Provo where they both died and are buried. They were members of the Episcopal Church. They had six children that I recall . There were daughters Sarah, Clara, Theresa , and Jane, sons Steve and Harry. I think Sarah was the oldest of the family, and Jane the youngest. [Actually, Mary and John had 11 children, 9 born in England (Sarah, William, Sam, Theresa, John, Jonathan, Harry, Clara, and Mary) all of whom came to America in 1881, and two (Jane and Stephen) who were born in Wyoming. Steve was the youngest .] Recalling a few memories of the Smith family, I remember Aunt Mary quite well . She was quite a large woman and had a large goiter. She talked with a decided English accent and wheezed a good deal because of the goiter. I barely remember her husband who was called Uncle Smith (because we already had an Uncle John). He preceded Mary in death by many years. They lived just through the pasture from grandfathers on what is now 150 East in a little frame house now long gone. Mary Buckley Smith with some of her children. Back: Theresa, Clara, Front: Janie, Mary, Steve, circa 1888. Sarah, after she married and raised two children, came back to live with her mother in later years. Janie also lived with her mother until she got married rather late in life. Harry, I believe, never got married . He lived off and on in Provo and in Rock Springs where he operated a laundry. Theresa married and lived in Provo until later in life when she moved to Salt Lake. Clara lived in Montana. Aunt Mary died in 1931 and is buried in an unmarked grave in the Provo cemetery. She has no descendants living in Provo as far as I know. Theresa's daughters may still be living in Salt Lake. [According to census and cemetery records, two of Theresa 's daughters, Claire and Elizabeth , taught school in Provo and are buried side by side in the Provo City Cemetery.] John Buckley John, the next son [after William] was born in 1846. He first married Eliza Comery while living in England. She died in December of 1870, followed in April 1871by the death of their son Arthur age six months. It is recorded that John was baptized into the LDS Church in 1868 but apparently Eliza was not a member when she died in 1870. Whoever was raising their infant had him baptized in the Church of England on April 6, 1871, about two weeks before he died . Subsequently John married Hannah Ince while they were still in England. [FamilySearch records show they were married in Provo in August of 1872.] In 1872, John, along with brother Jonathan immigrated to America. After working around the eastern part of the country for about a year [about 5 months] they came to Utah. John had quite a large quantity of music packed in his trunk and put it to use after he got to Provo. He was a good musician, having a very fine baritone voice, and he played the organ well. He was organist at the old Fourth ward church in Provo for many years. After William moved to his property on north University Avenue, John purchased a lot from William, next on the north side and built a small home there. As a youngster I remember going over to Uncle John's on an evening with grandfather_ where they would sit and talk about many things , but the evening always ended the same when grandfather would say, "Now Johnny what about a bit of music before we leave?" and then Uncle John would play a few selections on his organ. Hannah was an impeccable housekeeper even though their little house had no modern conveniences. They even had to carry their water from an outside hydrant. John was a plasterer by trade. One job I remember his working on was when the Provo Tabernacle was remodeled about 1917. He and Uncle Jack replastered the new ceiling. It was quite a job, but it kept his fingers supple so he could play the organ. Sometime around 1930 they sold this place and moved to a little home they owned on about 520 N. Third East. They spent the last years in a home with modern conveniences. In their younger years they had a number of children but none of them lived. A few years before Uncle John died he gave me some of his old music, including several books he had brought from England. John died in 1934 and Hannah died a year or two later. Brother Jonathan , as the closest living surviving relative , inherited their property including the organ, which I would love to have had. Sam Buckley Sam, the third son of Samuel and Sarah, was born in 1849. He came to America with his parents in 1874 and they settled in Provo. In the family he was always spoken of as the best musician, particularly for his organ playing. He served as assistant organist in the old Provo Tabernacle until shortly before his death. He never married. His health had become impaired and he died of tuberculosis in 1887 at the age of 38. Jonathan Buckley Jonathan, the youngest son of Samuel and Sarah, was born in 1857. He came to America with brother John about a year before his parents and subsequently married Elizabeth Hatton. They had a large family. He had sons named William, Sam, Arthur, Ross, George, and Harold, and daughters named Mamie [Mary Elizabeth], Edith, Hannah, and Maude. Mamie, I believe, died young, but all the others grew up, married and had children. Jonathan was the tenor of the family, and in addition to singing he played the fife for many years in Provo's martial band. After the death of his first wife, Elizabeth, Jonathan married Lucy Wasden, a widow who also had children. During his later years he became blind. Jonathan died in 1939, the last surviving child of Samuel and Sarah. Elizabeth Hatton and Jonathan Buckley In 1970, with the cooperation of Rachael Davis (Ross Buckley's daughter) and other grandchildren of Jonathan and through our side of the family we were able to have headstones placed on the graves of Samuel and Sarah Buckley, Sam Buckley, and John and Hannah Buckley, who had lain all these years in the family plot without grave markers. We did not have a very close relationship with Jonathan's family as we never had a family reunion. I had speaking acquaintance with most of the boys but Edith was the only daughter I knew. Sam and his wife Robena (Beany) lived in Knightville for several years and we knew them better than any of the others, although later in life I became fairly well acquainted with Ross as he worked in a lumber yard where I frequently traded. Family of Jonathan a.."ld Elizabeth Hat.ton Buckley . Left to right, top Edith, George , Mamet Wills, Sam, Arthur. Middle row: Eli2abeth Ross Alvin, Jonathan.Maude, Hannah, Ra.rold .Rainer . CHAPTER 3 The Buckleys-Pioneer Music Family in Provo A family sketch presented by Raymond B. Richan to the 19th Century Club in Provo, November 20, 1952 Intense interest in music and excellence of performance has been traditional throughout England for centuries. From such an environment came the Buckley family, who arrived in Provo in the early 187o's. The family, consisting of mother, father, four sons and a daughter, lived near Manchester, the great cotton manufacturing center. The early musical interest of the children encouraged by the parents was stimulated by church choral training and participation in the various festivals. They also had a harmonium (reed organ) in their home. They received some instruction on the instrument but the proficiency they attained was largely through self-training . A family vocal quartet composed of three of the boys and their sister achieved considerable local fame there. The two older boys were employed in the cotton mills. Their musical activity was practically limited to Sunday since they worked from dawn to dusk, six days a week. William, the eldest, was about 32 years of age when he immigrated to Utah with his wife and infant son. They came directly to Provo, arriving in the year 1870. Scarcely had they settled down when William's music talents were enlisted. The Provo Meeting House (known also as the "old tabernacle") had only been recently completed. An organ had been secured and a choir had been formed under the leadership of James E. Daniels. William was immediately made organist and with his musical knowledge and training in good repertoire the choir took on a quality that had been lacking hitherto. He also had a fine bass voice. Two other Buckley brothers, John and Jonathan, arrived in Provo about two years later. They brought with them a trunk full of music-such things as Handel's Messiah , Haydn's Crucifixion, and numerous other choral works and anthems that had not been sung in Provo. Good church music in Provo can really be considered to have received its start from this time . John was generally considered to have been the best musician in the family. He was possessed with a baritone voice of remarkable quality, and he had completely mastered the reed organ, was a ready sight­ reader, and could play accompaniment to all the choral works with great skill. William relinquished his position as organist to the more proficient Jon and became a member of the choir. In 1873, as further encouragement to her husband's music activity, William's wife purchased an organ for their home with some legacy funds she had received. This was one of the earliest organs in Provo and it was transported around to many functions in the community. The organ is still in family possession, in good playing shape. (See photo below.) In 1875 the remaining members of the family came to Utah, that is, their mother, father, and youngest brother Samuel. As an organ virtuoso the young Samuel excelled the others. He had exceptional talent and the temperament of a musician. Unfortunately , his health had become impaired and he was to die of tuberculosis within about ten years after his arrival in Provo. John relinquished his organist duties to Samuel and Samuel continued as organist at the Provo Meeting House until shortly before his death. Jonathan was the family tenor. Most of his musical activity was as a singer although he did play fife in Provo's first martial band. Their sister Mary married in England and though she eventually came to Utah she took no part in the family music activities. The Buckleys were never professional musicians in the sense that they earned money by music. William found employment as soon as he got to Provo doing construction work on the Provo Woolen Mills then nearing completion. As soon as the mill was put in operation he went to work in the spinning room, serving as foreman in that department for many years until he retired in 1898. John became a plasterer and worked at that trade all his life. Such a trade as this would hardly be considered suitable for an organist, but to an advanced age he retained supple fingers and manual ability that permitted playing his beloved instrument. Jonathan was a blacksmith by trade. At one time, during the late 1870s William built a building on Center Street and 300 West, and financed a music business, but the business failed after a few months of operation. A fine old parlor organ was salvaged which became the property of Samuel, and at this death it passed on to John. It remained in fine condition in John's home until his death in 1934. William was called to the Pleasant View Ward where he organized the first ward choir. He led this choir and played the organ there for many years. In addition he played the organ in the old Fourth Ward, sang in the Glee Club, and was generally kept busy one way or another. He kept his great interest in and love for music as long as he lived. His favorite instrument was always the organ. The Provo Tabernacle organ was installed too late for either him or John to play it, but they took great delight in hearing others play it. William died in 1920. An organization in which the Buckleys played no inconsiderable part was the Fourth Ward Glee Club, an organization of 24 male singers led by Professor Henry Giles, head of Brigham Young Academy music department. There were four Buckleys in this group- John, Jonathan, William, and William 's son Ernest . In 1892 at a church-wide festival held in Salt Lake City this group captured $290.00 in prize money out of the $400.00 awarded. John placed first among all soloists. The Giles family and the Buckley family were close friends. The Buckleys were an integral part of Provo's music history, as active performers for many years, as friends of many of the later musicians, and as patrons and lovers of the best in music throughout their lives. Jennie Buckley Newell also wrote about the Buckley family and their love of music. Even though some of the information may be repetitive, it is worthwhile including in this book. Here are her words: In the year 1871, a young Mormon couple, William and Sarah Rose Buckley, with their infant son, Ernest, set sail on the ship WYOMING, leaving their native England they were bound for America and Utah, This was the culmination of their heart's desire. This was the realization of a dream. They set their faces toward a new world and a new life. They left much behind them,parents, brothers and sisters and their home with its variety of musical instruments. But with them they took their proud pioneer culture and their talents for they had been reared in a home where religion, culture and music played the leading part. My grandmother Buckley, being herself musical, had instilled a love for music in the hearts of their children, and had inspired them with a keen desire to accomplish things along this line. In this little family of five children, three of the boys and the only girl played the organ. One brother played the violin, one the flute, and they all possessed good voices. Three of the boys sang in the Church of England Choir in their youth in the village where they were raised. They had an orchestra as well as a well­ balanced chorus in their own little group. They sang the songs of Zion in their native England and pioneer Mormonism long before they came to Utah. My grandparents accepted the gospel when it was carried to England by the first missionary sent over. Arriving in Provo my father became at once identified with the music of the community . Three years later, [1874] soon after the birth of mother's second [third] child, they heard that an organ could be purchased at the Grant's Music Store in American Fork. The trip to American Fork was made by ox team and mother purchased the church organ which she gave to my father, and to one who had all his life been surrounded with musical instruments, you may know the true joy he felt in again being the proud possessor of this church organ. I have often heard my folks tell the interesting story of how the organ was carried over to the tabernacle on Sundays, our first home being on 1st West, one half block from Center St., the task was not a hard one. Father became organist for the choir. They also told how it was taken to a friend's home, perhaps for a wedding reception, or maybe a party. On Christmas Eve, it would be placed in a wagon and the choir members would either ride or walk alongside and would sing Christmas carols while the organist played for them. Three years later John and Jonathan Buckley arrived from England and John being the better organist, tool father's place. Later when my grandparents and their youngest son Sam arrived, Sam, having been organist in the Church of England , of course took the place occupied previously by his brothers... Sources for Buckley chapters Most of the information found in this section comes from the following records: 1.Church of England. St. Laurence's Church (Chorley, Lancashire), Family History Library BRITISH Film #93704. 2.Church of England. Parish Church of Pleasley (Pleasley, Derbyshire), Family History Library BRITISH Film #355585, p.30. 3.UK Census records 1841, 1851, 1861, and 1871. 4.Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Calver Branch Records (Derbyshire). Record of members, Family History Library BRITISH Film #86990 Item 1. 5.Endowment House Records , Family History Library, Temple Records, Film #183408 and #183402. 6.Bishop's Transcripts for Bakewell (Derbyshire), Family History Library BRITISH Film #497,379, p.70, p.771, p.171. 7.Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Membership records, Hull Branch (Yorkshire), Family History Library BRITISH Film #87004 Items 8 - 19. 8.Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Membership records, Chesterfield Branch (Derbyshire), Family History Library BRITISH Film# 86991. 9.LDS Emigration records, European Mission; 1849-1885, passenger list, Film # 025692. 10. Provo, Utah, Provo Fourth Ward Record of members 1852 - 1923 Film #26333. 11.Original manuscript of Buckley history by Raymond Buckley Richan in possession of Eugenia Richan Hatch, Orem, Utah. 12.Copy of original manuscripts written by Jennie Buckley Newell in possession of her granddaughter Marilyn Newell Hicks. Note: Most of the above records can be found now on and

Life timeline of Samuel Buckley

Samuel Buckley was born on 28 Feb 1815
Samuel Buckley was 11 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
Samuel Buckley was 17 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Samuel Buckley was 25 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Samuel Buckley was 45 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Samuel Buckley was 48 years old when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring the freedom of all slaves in Confederate territory by January 1, 1863. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
Samuel Buckley was 65 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Samuel Buckley died on 17 May 1889 at the age of 74
Grave record for Samuel Buckley (28 Feb 1815 - 17 May 1889), BillionGraves Record 11096 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States