Rozena Oaks (Nelson)

4 Jun 1908 - 3 May 1998


Rozena Oaks (Nelson)

4 Jun 1908 - 3 May 1998
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Rozena Oaks (Nelson) (4 Jun 1908 - 3 May 1998) at Provo City Cemetery in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Rozena Oaks (Nelson)
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Rozena Oaks (Nelson)


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


June 4, 2011

Provo City Cemetery

January 1, 1970

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Rozena...

We found more records about Rozena Oaks (Nelson).


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Rozena


Rozena Oaks (Nelson) is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



HISTORY OF ANN GREENWOOD KEETCH (1875-1944) by Murcy N. Boyer

Contributor: finnsh Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Ann Greenwood Keetch was born June 9, 1875 at St. Charles, Idaho. She was the youngest child of Mercy T. Barker and Charles Greenwood Keetch. There were seven children older than her, five boys and two girls. As a child, Ann G. had very poor health and was not able to attend school regularly. Several times her life was despaired of, but through the blessings of the Lord her life was spared, and through perseverance she became a well educated woman. When Ann G. was fifteen years of age, her mother became seriously ill and was not well for the next fourteen and one-half years. Much of this time she was bed-fast. During this time Ann G. remained at home and faithfully cared for her mother. Part of this time she cared for her grandmother also. On April 5th, 1905, she married Rasmus P. Nelson in the Salt Lake Temple. At first they lived in St. Charles, but in March 1909 they moved to South Montpelier, Wardboro Ward, where they lived the rest of their married life together. At first they lived in a homestead log house on a dry farm; later in a home they bought on Highway 30. In 1926 they moved into a home they had built {on Highway 30}. They had five children, three sons and two daughters. All the children were given a college education and the three boys filled missions for the Church. Ann G. Nelson has always been active in church organizations. She accepted a position as Treasurer of the Relief Society at the age of 14 years. This was at a time when payments were made with produce of various kinds, which complicated the record books. She held many other positions in other auxiliary organizations of the Church until she left home after the death of her husband to do temple work. Ann G. was always very busy. Before marriage she helped with milking and outside chores as well as indoors. Both before and after marriage she did a great deal of sewing, by hand before having a sewing machine, and later by machine. She made everything, including suits, underwear, dresses, household goods, etc. She did beautiful handiwork, especially crocheting. She never had an idle moment. Her husband died October 14, 1934. George left school at Logan, Utah (A.C.) and spent the remainder of the winter at home with her. The next winter she went to Logan and spent that and the next year there, first with George and then Aaron. After the boys had graduated she went to Salt Lake City in 1937 and spent the next six years doing temple and research work. In 1943, when a change in the Index Bureau was being made, she could not get enough names through the Bureau to continue going through the temple three to four times daily. She changed her plans and went to work at the Utah Knitting Company in Salt Lake City. She worked there (going to the temple in the evenings) until she became too ill to do so. She was under a doctor's care for several months in Salt Lake City. On November 15th, Dr. Jenkins called Murcy and said that she was very ill and should go to the hospital. Murcy and Vern went to Salt Lake City that night and brought her to Upton, Utah. She entered the Coalville, Utah Hospital under Dr. Oldham's care the next morning. Five days later she was taken to Upton to the Boyer's home where she was cared for during the remaining two months of her life. She had cancer of the pancreas and was very ill, wasting away very badly before death came about 5:00 A.M. on January 20, 1944. George, Aaron, and Murcy were at her bedside at her death. R.K. and Rozena had been at the home helping care for her previously.

RASMUS PETER NELSON (1882-1934) by his wife, Ann G. Keetch Nelson

Contributor: finnsh Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Rasmus Peter Nelson was born January 4, 1882 in St. Charles, Idaho. He was the oldest son of Rasmus Peter Nielsen and Sanna Wilhelmina (Anderstadt) Nielsen/Nelson. There were two sisters older, Hannah and Anna, and two brothers, one sister and one half-sister younger, John, Andrew, Ida and Agnes. He was baptized by Elder Amos M. Virgin the 9 July 1893. He was confirmed by Elder Heber C. Keetch 9 July 1893. His father died October 8, 1888 and his mother had a real struggle to carry on with her family of six children and provide for them. On January 4, 1889, when Rasmus was seven years old, there was a cattle round-up in Paris, eight miles north of St. Charles. Rasmus was clothed as warm as possible by his mother and helped onto a horse and sent to Paris for the round-up with his Uncle Hans Jorgen Hemmert. There was a steer there that Rasmus said belonged to his father. His uncle didn't think it did, but a man, Marvin Allred, said "Well, we'll just find out." The animal was roped and on close inspection of the brand, it was found that Rasmus was right. It was his father's steer. Rasmus helped his mother harness the team when he was so small that he had to stand on a box to reach. When ten years old, he ran the mower with a reaper attached, dropping the grain in bunches, which then had to be bound by hand. He was ordained a deacon quite young and was set apart as one of the presidency of the quorum. He spent a lot of time in Star Valley, on a piece of land his mother bought. She proved up on an entry at Spring Creek, which Grandfather entered before he died. When in Star Valley his Uncle Hemmert took quite an interest in him, having him go with him to conferences and stake meetings as his teamster to drive and care for the horses. He was ordained an elder quite early in his life and was ordained a seventy when 22 years old. Being the oldest boy, he was looked to , to put over many jobs so his district schooling was greatly hampered, but later he went to high school one year.Rasmus attended the Fielding Academy (church school) in Paris the first year that building was used and was one of the students appointed to canvas wards to gather books to start a library at the Fielding Academy. He attended the Fielding Academy a second year and was chosen valedictorian for the closing exercises. He had the talk all ready to give when smallpox got started and so there were no graduation exercises held. During the summer of 1904, Rasmus was solicited a number of times by professors from the USAC at Logan, UT to get him to attend and enroll for college work. He turned down these offers in order to stay home and help his mother by caring for farm work and cattle so that his brother, Andrew, could go instead. That fall Rasmus was chosen counselor in the YMMIA in St. Charles. We were married in Salt Lake Temple on April 5, 1905 by John R. Winder. In the fall of 1906, he entered a homestead on a dry farm in South Montpelier and we lived there for a while that fall. We lived in St. Charles that winter. In 1909 he moved with his family to Wardboro Idaho, where they homesteaded and proved up on a dry farm, which he successfully developed from the rough sagebrush land to a fine wheat farm. Later, he moved his family (2 miles) down into the So. Montpelier school dist. where the children attended school. He was ordained a deacon by President Jas. H. Hart 25 Aug. 1895. He was ordained a Priest by Bp. Elijah C. Keetch 22 March 1900. He was ordained an Elder by Stake Pres. Wm. Budge the 7 May 1904. Ordained a Seventy by Elder Ed T. Pattersen 28 Jan. 1905. He was ordained a High Priest by Lorenzo T. Shepherd the 2 Sep 1917. He was set apart as Pres of the deacons by Bp. Elijah C. Keetch 12 Dec.. 1901. He was called to be a ward teacher with Jeppa Monson in 1902. He was set apart as 2nd coun in Y.M. M. I. A. by Bp Keetch 29 Nov. 1904 and a S. S. teacher in 1906. In March 1909 we moved to Wardboro Ward. Rasmus was called as a Home Teacher and was also made President 15 May 1910 of the YMMIA in the Wardboro Ward, including the young ladies. He held this position until he was called to be Second Counselor in the Bishopric to Bishop Berrey on 29 July 1917 and was set apart to that office by Apostle Hyrum M. Smith. On 2 Mar. 1919 he was set apart as First Counselor in the Bishopric by Silas L. Wright, which position he held until called to be a High Counselor in the Montpelier Stake on 14 Mar. 1926. He also worked in connection with the Aaronic Priesthood where he was sustained on 7 Dec. 1930. That same year he was sustained as organization chairman in the Boy scout work of the stake. He served as Justice of Peace; trustee in the South Montpelier School District for a number of terms and helped supervise the erection of the South Montpelier school house. He was Road Commissioner for one term; a director on the Board for Preston, Montpelier Irrigation Company for several terms and president of Board for 2 years; also director in the West Fork Irrigation Company; supervised several projects for the county; and was Water Master of this company for many years. He was also a member of county council of Defense during the World War. In October of 1934, he went to Salt Lake City to attend General Conference (as he usually did). After arriving, he went to Provo with R.K. to visit Rozena. He was taken ill. He stayed at R.K.'s home in Salt Lake until the doctor thought it was advisable to take him to the Salt Lake LDS Hospital. He was operated upon there on October 7th for appendicitis. Everything that could be done was done, but he passed away October 14, 1934. His wife and four children -- two sons and two daughters -- were at his bedside at the time. One son, Aaron, was in Sweden fulfilling a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Memories of Father & Mother, Rasmus P. & Ann Keetch Nelson by Rozena N. Oaks

Contributor: finnsh Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Our home was always a very busy place. Everyone was up early and had their own jobs to do, and many nights the chores were not finished until late. This was in the summer time when farm life is so busy. In the winter time there was always provision made for study time, both in the evening and early in the morning. I remember that at times father would ask, and if the boys needed more time to study, he did the chores in the morning so they could finish and be prepared for school. "Chores" consisted of milking, feeding, and cleaning the barn for sixteen to twenty milk cows; feeding, cleaning the barn, and grooming at least four teams of horses; two teams harnessed and hitched, one to take us to high school, the other to go to feed the cattle in the meadows. The cows were milked by hand, of course. We had no electricity on the farm until 1928. The milk -- about twenty gallons -- was carried to the house and run through the "separator" to take out the cream. The skim milk was then carried out to feed the calves and a bunch of pigs. The cream was put into a large crock jar and allowed to sour. Then it was ready to churn. The churn was a large wooden barrel with a clamped-on, tightly-fitting lid with a handle on the side of it. It was suspended between two up-right legs so that it could be turned end over end. The cream tumbled forth and back, became thicker and thicker until it finally "broke" -- the butter separated from the buttermilk. The buttermilk was drawn off and the butter rinsed several times with water. The butter was then dipped into a large pan by using a wooden paddle, special butter-salt was added and that was molded with wooden one-pound molds, wrapped in especially prepared waxed paper which bore the maker's name and address, and taken to the grocer who took it in exchange for groceries or paid for it at a reduced rate. Father was always sorry that he didn't have more than a high school education. (He had gained that because of great sacrifice and effort. He was valedictorian of his class.) He was anxious for us all to be good students and get a good education. He always said to ask questions, be alert, and let the teacher know you were there. He was also concerned about personality development. He was particularly concerned about my lack of socializing. I didn't smile much and I wasn't as friendly as I should be. He would remind me to smile and on one occasion he took me on his knee and talked to me about why I hadn't said "hello" to a friend passing by. Father always either took us or saw to it that we had a way to the ward and school functions. He took time to build us a high swing, teeter-totter, etc. in the back yard, and in the winter he fixed a slide on which to coast. I remember well in the evenings Father would sit in the big leather rocker and hold little Mother on his lap, or she would sit at his side in a small rocker, and she would read aloud. Usually she read from the scriptures, the Era, or other church books. Mother read beautifully. Sometimes we played games together, usually checkers, dominoes, or such. One night we were playing dominoes around the old kitchen table and we had a particularly fun time. We begged to continue to play even though it was past bed-time. Father said "no" and we went into the bedroom to go to bed. A lamp had been left lit there and the room had become quite warm. Anyway, whatever caused it, the light had increased and flames were shooting out of the chimney. If we had delayed a few minutes longer, the room would have been on fire. The Church was all-important to Father and Mother. They would sacrifice anything for it. I remember many times after Father had been out all day in the cold Bear Lake, Idaho area working, he would still hitch up a team and take us to M.I.A. at night. When we would get to our little country church, it would be cold and dark. He would hustle wood and coal and get a fire going and thaw out something so the gas lights would go on. Remembering back further to the dry farm days, living away up in those hills was no deterrent. Father went night after night to help collect and raise funds to build that little church. Then he was Superintendent of MIA and went regularly on horseback to take care of his duties. Roads and even paths continually drifted full so that often he would have to dismount and help make a path for his horse so that they could get through. Father always had a fur coat. It was made of cow or horse hide and lined. He would never had survived without those coats. The wind would get so bitter cold and was always blowing. Father's cheeks, the lobes of his ears, around his wrists, etc., peeled continually because they were frosted so often. When he was on the High Council he would get out at 4:00 A.M. in the winter and go down to feed the livestock so that he could get back in time to hitch up a driving team and go to Geneva, Georgetown or some other ward miles away to visit and fulfill his assignment. He was interested in genealogy and collected all the information he could on his lines. I remember when I was just a young girl, Father, Mother, Murcy, and I left the boys to take care of the farm and we went to Logan and camped in a tent so that our folks could do temple work. A cousin of his, Annie Wright from Star Valley, came to visit a time or two. They would sit by the lamp into the night working over records and information they had received by corresponding with someone in "the old country." Father was happy when Aaron received his call to go on a mission to Sweden. He immediately made funds available and Aaron was a go-between so that a genealogist there researched the direct line completely in Sweden. Our home had unity and harmony. Father and Mother had a unity of purpose. They respected the Priesthood and Father exercised it for our benefit. When we were ill, he administered to us. We always had family prayer and we had family home evening. Father was mindful of others. Father, being the oldest son, felt responsible for his mother. He stayed at home and cared for the family so that his two younger brothers, John and Andrew, could accept scholarships and attend the A.C. (U.S.U. now) at Logan, Utah. After he was married, he went to see his mother frequently and did everything he could to help her. I recall when we were still living at the dry-farm, the family of Charles Keetch became very ill with scarlet fever. Charles was our cousin. No one would go in to help them. They were afraid of contracting the infection. Father went down and stayed with them. The mother and two children died from the infection. The father and three children survived. I remember when Father came home, how spent he was. He would not come into the house for fear of exposing us. Mother boiled water and carried it to "the smoke house" (place where meat was cured) and Father bathed and they boiled his clothes. None of us became ill. Father was civic minded and a loyal citizen. He was a school trustee for South Montpelier School District for many years. He was largely responsible for the building of the school building there. Many years later when the school districts were consolidated, the school house was remodeled and was the church for the Wardboro Ward until it was dissolved. During World War I, when flour and other food stuffs were scarce, we gave the flour and ate Johnny Cake. Mother sang a lot. Often she whistled as she worked. She was little, but she accomplished such a lot. She not only kept up the house, baked , sewed, etc., but also churned and molded great amounts of butter. Some weeks she churned several times a week, making twelve to seventeen pounds of butter each time. She also took care of chickens and sold eggs, had a large garden she kept irrigated and weeded as well as beautiful flowers around the house. Many summers we sold fresh produce from the garden. The young tender carrots, beets, turnips, etc., were pulled, washed, tied in bunches, and taken to the store early in the morning. Mother practically always planted much of the garden, but the whole family helped. Father prepared the ground and helped with the weeding a lot. We children all helped with weeding, watering, etc. We all took our turn with helping with the separator, churning and working the butter, caring for the chickens, etc. But Mother was the organizer and worked side-by-side along with us. She and Father always cooperated and shared in the responsibilities. Mother's mottoes were: "It is better to wear out than to rust out" and "What's worth doing at all is worth doing well." Mother always kept track of every bit of butter and eggs she had -- put it on the calendar -- so that they would be sure to pay tithing on it each month. She not only kept track of what was sold but also the quarter pound, or eggs used in meal preparation, etc. We didn't have many vacations, but occasionally we got away. We would go to the lake for a day. We went to Star Valley to visit relatives on Father's side of the family. We went to Utah County to visit relatives on Mother's side. We went very frequently to St. Charles to visit Grandma and call on Aunt Lizzie T. and Aunt Mercy T. On the 50th anniversary of the M.I.A., I think it was, the whole family went to Salt Lake City in our Ford and stayed in a hotel. We participated in the parade up Main Street singing "Oh, we're from Idaho." We attended the meetings. R.K. and I participated in a teen panel conducted by Adam S. Bennion during one of the general meetings. Mother was "hard of hearing" from the time when she was a small child and had scarlet fever. In one ear she could hear nothing; the hearing in her other ear was below normal. Because of this she never learned to drive a car. She had a single rig with a gentle horse which she would hitch up and go various places -- to town, to church, to the meadows, or to the dry farm. I remember how Mother saved our home when it was on fire. It was during a cold winter so that a fire was built in the bedroom stove. One chimney served the front room and bed room stove. It became overheated, and when Mother opened the door to go into the front room, the wall around the chimney was a mass of flames. Calling to me, "Go get Papa"!, she grabbed off her apron and beat out the flames. But much damage was done. In the summer, all of us children manned a rake, mower, push-rake or would begin with the "pull-up" team for the stacker. Mother was on her own to wash the separator, dishes, etc., cook dinner and bring it to the hay field. Then we would all gather around, usually in the shade of a hay stack, and enjoy fresh peas and new potatoes, fresh baked bread and butter, bottled meat (meat was butchered, cooked and bottled in the winter time) and bottled fruit or other dessert. If Father was sharpening hay knives, fixing fences, driving down to check on irrigation water, or many other things, he'd drop by the house and say to Mother, "Come on, go with me." She would drop whatever she was doing and go. We kids loved to go too, and many times we did. I remember when we got our first phone. It was installed on the wall in the corner of the boy's bedroom in the old house. There were not many phones around, so sometimes we would call neighbors to the phone for a message -- Jacobsens, Jensens, and even over as far away as Hansens. When we got our first car -- it was a shiny black Model T -- all five of us children could sit side by side in the back seat. There was no door on the driver's side. We were very excited, but kept very still so Papa wouldn't be disturbed with his learning to drive. When I was old enough to drive, Father very patiently taught me. I don't remember how long afterwards I had an accident. As I drove out of the yard onto the road, I didn't look to the south where there was a horse and buggy coming. I ran into the side of the buggy and nearly tipped it over. Father seemed to realize how embarrassed I was for such carelessness, and never said a word to me. As the depression years came on, they made great sacrifices to keep us all in college and the boys on missions. They never let us know how hard it was for them. They never complained. Mother sent lots of home-baked cookies and other goodies. Father also provided for the future by carrying ample insurance so that Mother was well provided for and could live well independently for twenty years after his death. She lived just ten years longer than he did. Father loved to go to Salt Lake to attend the General Conferences of the church. He did this regularly during the latter years of his life. As Father lay on his death bed in the hospital in Salt Lake City, he awoke one afternoon and insisted his mother was waiting in the hall, and asked that we bring her in. But she wasn't there. About the time he died, Grandma Nelson said he came to her home and sat beside her on the couch. Just before Father died, as Mother and the four of us children were gathered around his bed, he opened his eyes and they shone with a new light. He exhorted us to live the principles of the gospel completely and well, and to render service to others. He bore his testimony to us of the truthfulness of the gospel and promised us joy and happiness if we would live righteously. He then lapsed into a coma and died. I so admire Mother that she didn't "give up" after Father's death. She kept very busy and active. She did a tremendous job of genealogical research. She hunted out thousands of names of kindred dead. She worked diligently in the temples doing hundreds of names. Yet she had time to come and help us when we had our babies, etc. When World War II broke out and the government requested the help of everyone, Mother went to one of the knitting mills in Salt Lake City and told them she could run a sewing machine. They put her to work. She continued there until she became too ill. During her final illness, she patiently waited her call to go. Sometimes she would say, "I wonder how much longer." * * * * * Father loved to dance, and could dance smoothly and gracefully. He and Mother would do the waltz with beautiful sweeps and turns, around and around, gliding across the floor. * * * * * A letter from Ann G. Nelson to her mother Mercy Truth Keetch St. Charles {Idaho} March 26, 1906 Dear Mother, I will try and write you a few lines and hope they will find you well as usual. We are getting along quite nicely. I have mended so much faster the last few days. Sister Nelson was in yesterday and gave a more general straightening up, and is coming again if all is well, to wash up the baby's clothes {R. K. Nelson was one month old}. She is very kind and good to us. It keeps Rasmus quite busy with chores, housework, and me to wait on and help with baby too, but baby is very good most of the time. We haven't lost one night's rest with him yet. And he is getting so he notices so much now. Lizzie T. and the children were out Sunday and the baby noticed there being so many around. He is getting to be very free with his smiles as soon as he sees his papa or me, and he coos at us sometimes and well, I can't write all, but he is very sweet and getting more cute everyday. Charles G. and the folks called {In those days they used the word "called" in place of "visited" -- they didn't have a telephone} a few minutes Friday night. They brought us a large rug. Both sides alike and fringe at the ends. It is a very nice rug. I don't know where we will put so many nice things. Another of our cows has got a little calf. That makes four for this winter. Baby is waking and wants his dinner, so I must close. Hoping that you will be careful that you don't take cold and get sick. Praying for the blessings of the Lord to rest upon you. I remain as ever, Your loving daughter, (signed) A. G. Nelson


Contributor: finnsh Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

We have not found any record of polygamy, neither in our direct ancestry in the Nelson line, nor in the Keetch line. However, there was a sister of Charles Greenwood Keetch who was married to Samuel Matthews. Her name was Elizabeth Keetch Matthews. They were married on October 12, 1864. He was later called as Bishop of the Montpelier Ward and as part of this calling married a second wife. Her name was Annie E. Kennington. They were married on February 28, 1884. For more on their story read the Life Story of Samuel Matthews and also the Life Story of Elizabeth Keetch Matthews. Also, Mercy Truth Barker Keetch's two youngest sisters were married to the same husband on the same day in the Salt Lake Endowment House. They were married November 21, 1870. For more on this read the Life Story of Jacob Michaelson and also the Life Story of Elizabeth Emma Barker Michaelson (the younger of the two sisters).

Murcy Nelson poem written for Nelson Reunion 1979 by Beverly Boyer Dawes and Joyce Boyer

Contributor: finnsh Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

To our mother dear is to whom we write and dedicate this poem Murcy was born on Thursday in St Charles In a little log home. Rasmus, her father was a large hard working man Ann G, her mother, was a small, ambitious person, beloved of her clan. Her childhood came with adventure and loads of fun She rolled hoops down the hill-- when her work was done. Balls made of string and crocheted around; She shielded herself from the sun by a weed umbrella as she walked around 'town". At dinner time father would say "look at that bug on the wall"! Murcy would turn to take a quick look- her father would take something - dinner was never dull. She had her chores to do before and after school She'd pump and pump the cool water-- you should have seen those milk cows druel! Fixing and cleaning up the cabin was quite a chore Dabbing mud between logs and RK recovering a toy through a crack in the floor. Murcy spent summers on the farm canning, gardening, milking and cooking There was a special way to hay 'tramp the edges and keep the middle full-' that makes the hay stack--mighty good looking. When she was a young girl she fell from a horse and broke her arm Whow! Did that set off a mighty alarm. Do you remember when the first airplane flew over your house-- an unusual sound from the sky was your clue! You all hustled out in your fancy night clothes-- and pondered this unusual view. Murcy started school when she was six She wanted to use her left hand-- teacher said "No" She certainly was in a fix. So they bought her a shiny ring To remind her of this important thing. Picking currents and gooseberries was a trick in it self, If you didn't get pricked with thorns you had to be as careful as an elf. Mom makes the best rhubarb pie Remember if you pick those gooseberries too ripe--tears will come to your eyes. Mother was baptized in a canal One Sunday afternoon when she was eight Became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints married in the Salt Lake Temple to her selected mate. In her academic studies, she did very well When they announced she could skip second grade--her head just swelled. Murcy won first place in math--there were twinkles in her eyes She was mighty proud when she won second place in the county-- "Romona" was her prize. Cream on bread was as good as could be Everyone would shout for glee George the youngest of them all Thought it would make him grow twice as tall. Moms junior prom was decorated beautifully and just right Everyone was on their toes-- for the end of the world was predicted that night. BYU brought studies hard but there was always time for fun--you had to stand guard. Was it Rozena or mom that had a powerful swing to get that loaf of bread scattered across the roof--with one mighty fling. Parcheesi was a pastime-- played by the hour it seemed Then one day the board in its glory disappeared from the scene Mom looked and looked in cupboards, closets even crawled upon the ground But to this day only Aaron knows where that parachessi board could be found! Riding horses, her courtship did bring Her outfit was special, just the smartest thing! To Coalville, she came to be home agent there She met her compannion as they went to the fair. Then the kids came- all eight of us Three left early without going through worldly fuss. How thankful for the gospel knowledge Though tears were many, we knew it not to be in folly. Soon after they were married a home and farm they bought No running water was found upon the lot They would fill the little tubs and in the kitchen--we'd bathe, Oh, my, a knock on the door! It would happen just that day! Out they would run, the tubs moved quickly away, In would walk the visitor, much to everyone's dismay! Vern had a farm so that was the game "Minnie the chicken expert" was her special name. Lights on at four--grain at five, You should just see the production of the chickens come alive! In her mother's last years with Murcy she stayed, With Murcy's love she was cared for until our Father in Heaven called her home one day. Teaching was an occupation--her students she still adores It often made a long day--but she did love it so. The Lord called Vern and Murcy on a mission to help the gospel grow They put their truck in low and to Kansas and Arkansas, they did go. One day a storm grew wild as fire--the hailstones began to fall Window's were knocked out--vehicles were dented--for they were as large as golf balls. Mother, to us you are special and just real neat "You're the best mom"--and that has been our treat.

Autobiography of Rozena Ann Nelson Oaks by Rozena

Contributor: finnsh Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I was born June 4, 1908 on the Northern outskirts of St. Charles, Bear Lake County, Idaho. I was the second child and the eldest daughter of Rasmus Peter and Ann Greenwood Keetch Nelson. The family moved to a log cabin on homestead farm land on the west side of the valley when I was nearly a year old. We lived there until I was school-age. Then father bought a three-room home and farm ground at So. Montpelier. Later they increased the size of the home and made other improvements. When I was a junior in high school they built a lovely new modern home that we enjoyed very much. The first school I attended was a typical old fashioned "little red school house". It was a one room, frame structure, painted red, heated by an old pot-bellied coal stove. It housed all grades from first to eighth. The next year we were in a new, modern school house. It had two class rooms, a library, recreation room, etc. Here I attended school until I completed the seventh grade. There were four students in our class, two boys, my sister and I. We went to school for seven months out of the year, starting in October and finishing in April. The year we were to be in the 4th grade, the flu epidemic broke out in the U.S. It was something very new, many people were dying from it, especially in larger cities. We had only a week or two of school in the fall. Churches, theaters, and all public gatherings were discontinued. People only went to town, etc. as was necessary. Then they usually wore masks. However, the epidemic did not spread into the West much that year. We were healthy and wisely our folks did not allow us to be idle. We studied as though we were in school all year and when spring came the folks arranged to have us take tests so that we would not loose a school year. At the beginning of our eighth year, Father made arrangements so that my oldest brother drove a team and either buggy or sleigh forth and back from home to school in Montpelier every day. The 7th and 8th grade classes met in the same building as the H.S. and we enjoyed school there very much. There were now about thirty students in our class. H.S. days were great fun. I was active in debate each year. I was on the school debate team in my Senior year, as well as traveling with assembly program to other schools. I was associate editor of the year book and vice-president of the Senior class. I was valdictorian of the Seminary class in the spring of our junior year and of the Senior H.S. class the year following. There was no electricity in our locality until I was away from home attending college. We used to have considerable trouble with the lights in the church house. They were carbide lites and in the winter when it froze we would often have trouble getting them to work. The church was heated with coal stoves. There was no paid janitor. The Aaronic Priesthood were supposed to take care of it but very often the first ones getting to the church house had the fires to build and we'd huddle around the stoves until it would partially warm up. Father and Mother were very energetic, hard working, kind considerate parents. We enjoyed a very happy home life. We were reared in a wholesome religious and patriotic atmosphere. Both father and mother sincerely regreted not being able to attend school more than they did. They read and studied whenever they had an opportunity. We were reared with the idea that it was most desirable to go to college. The folks were most generous in allowing us to attend the college of our choice. There was never a word of complaint when my sister and I chose to go to B.Y.U. even though it was a long way from home. College days were wonderful. There were so many new avenues of learning to persue. There were new worlds previously not explored by me, and I enjoyed these many things to the fullest extent. Social life was very fine too. There were mattinee dances each Wednesday after school for a couple of hours. Social units were organized while we were there. In the spring of our Sophmore year my sister and I were invited to join the Gamma Phi Omicron (Honorary Home Sc. Sorority). Our initiation was fun and very impressive too. We enjoyed helping to initiate other groups into the organization. During my Senior year I was Pres. of Gamma Phi. During the Spring quarter of my Sophmore year I registered for a Sociology class in the Maeser building. That proved to be a mighty important move in my life for it was while taking that class that I became acquainted with Roy, my future husband. We dated that spring, corresponded during the summer, became engaged the next fall, and were married a year later, Sept. 8, 1930, at the beginning of my Senior year at college. Father said he should like me to finish college and that he'd be glad to continue to support me as he had been doing so I would not be a financial burden to Roy. This worked out very well, and we enjoyed attending the University together. Upon graduation in 1931, we were in the midst of the depression and jobs were very hard to get. Inexperienced college graduates walked the streets and were unwanted. Because of this condition we went to Bear Lake and Roy was employed in the hay fields during the summer, and we lived with my folks and assisted with the farm work during the winter of 1931-32. It was there at home where our first child, Hyrum was born. Later we moved to Logan where we spent about two years, then we returned to Provo in the fall of 1934. Roy had a part time job and attended school, working on his Master's degree which he completed in 1936. We purchased a home in Provo. We spent a lot of time and effort fixing it up. It was an older type home. We loved Provo as a home town. It is a beautiful place. We lived there until the spring of 1941 when we moved to Roy's home town of Vernal. We did some farming to assist in the War effort, which was requiring everyone's best efforts. He also taught school there and also at Roosevelt. We sold our home at Provo and purchased one in Roosevelt. We had three children when we moved to the Uintah basin and two more were born out there. Ferron had severe allergy trouble and requied expert medical attention which we could not get in the Uintah valley so we looked for positions open on the faculties of the schools in or near Salt Lake up to Logan. We found what seemed to be the best opportunity in Weber district. We looked for a home in the North Ogden area on the advice of Dr. Aldus Dixon. He said it was the best area in the State of Utah in which to rear a family. This was in 1944. It was war time and it was most difficult to find a vacant house. We were greatly blessed in finding the sturdy old home which we purchased and remodeled. It has been a delightful place to live and we love the town of North Ogden. I've always been so grateful for my college education. I've derived much satisfaction and help from it. Majoring in Home Economics was certainly ideal for me. During the early part of our married life I helped out with our financial problem by working as a social worker, and later for a while as a supervisor of school lunches in Wasatch, Utah and Juab counties. After our oldest son was in College and nearing the age to go on a mission, (1949-50), I accepted a position to teach. It has helped to have this supplimental income to aid with missions, college, etc. I have always enjoyed working in the various church organizations. I've held various positions in the different Wards and Stakes where we have lived. I've worked in the Primary, Sunday School, Relief Society, M.I.A. and Ward organist, but I have spent the most time in M.I.A. The great faith and exempilary lives of Father and Mother impressed me greatly. The way Mother was able to accept change and adapt herself to an entirely new way of life after Father died was positively remarkable to me. Her great interest and work in temple and genealogical work together with my parents united efforts to find all available genealogy before Father died, impressed me with the importance of this great work. Roy and I take advantage of every opportunity we have to go to the temple. We have spent many, many hours in research work. I love the work and devote every minute I can to it. Our efforts have been rewarded and we have some fine records. However, there is always much, much more to be done. This hobby of genealogical research claims most of my spare time now. While I was working full time at home, I used to find time to sew a lot, I loved to crochet and enjoyed embroidery. I very much enjoy reading, taking classes, and learning new things. Playing the piano is so relaxing and such a good way to express ones own emotions. However, I seldom find time to play any more. We take pride in our beautiful home and yards. We spend quite a lot of time gardening, etc. We love to do things together. We have regular family council meetings where we talk over various rules and regulations for the family. We formulate them at a family group. We also plan family activities together. We love to take family outings together - to the canyons, fishing trips, camping out trips, going to shows, swimming or other places of interest. Sometimes we just stay at home, picnic in the back yard, play games together, etc. We've taken some trips but have not traveled extensively. We've been up through the northwest and into Canada. We went down the coast into Calif. and home. We've toured over practically all parts of Utah and into surrounding states. We went east as far as Burlington, Iowa. We very much enjoyed visiting historical points of interest of the church, especially Adam-on-diam. There was a spiritual peace and beauty there that lovely June morning that we'll never forget. We take great pride in our family. We have been blessed with some wonderful spirits to dwell in our home. Hyrum, our eldest son, filled a mission to Texas. He was a district president while there. He did a very fine job. He married a wonderful little girl, Dorothy Fullmer, also a returned missionary from Texas, Louisiana mission. They have three darling children. He is a consulting engineer for Honeywell at present and they are very busy and happy working in the church, etc. Harold, our second son, just returned from his mission to the Netherlands. He was a branch and district president and was very adapt at speaking the Dutch language. He'll go back to college at the B.Y.U. where he is majoring in Dramatics and Speech work. During his sophmore year he was awarded a trophy for "Best Actor" of the year. Annette, our oldest daughter, is a senior in High School and active in debate, future editor of the school paper, she writes the weekly column for the Ogden Standard for Weber High, and she won first place in the State of Utah in the oration contest sponsered by the Knights of Pithious. She will compete in Western States District in June in this contest. Ferron, Charlene, and Elaine are all good students in school and are receiving recognition in their own chosen fields. We are very proud of them all.

My Memories of Grandma by Rozena Ann Nelson Oaks (Sanna Wilhelmina Anderstedt Johansdotter)

Contributor: finnsh Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Going to Grandma's place was always special. After we got we went very often. Before that it was a days trip and not frequent. I remember their whole family - Grandma, Aunt Hannah, and Agnes, Patience and Carl coming to see us when we still lived in our 2-room log cabin on the dry farm. We had beds all over the floor but it was run. They only came once or twice a year after after we moved larger homes. Grandma came and stayed a few days when we were in our early times. We had a few sheep and Papa (Father) had sheared their wool off. Mama (Mother) had washed it good and Grandma corded the wool ready to feed it into two quilts - one each for Murcy and I. It was very interesting to watch her cord the wool. The corders were blocked about 10" x 4" with handles fastened to the back of them and faced on the front with long metal bristles like a brush. The brushes were curved on the ends. They were made so that one could not pull these straight through. There was a real nack to working them. It looked so easy as Grandma did it but we couldn't work them at all. These quilts that Mother made up were so warm and light weight. I used mine for special occasions and for company. I treasured that quilt and took good care of it. It was a very pretty blue with pink flowers. I have passed it onto Charlene to treasurer. When we went Grandma's we always went to the post office near by to see Aunt Hannah. She had a lot of nic nackles, hats and things to sell and she usually had a piece of hard tack candy for us. Grandma's home was large and roomey but not "modern". Water was carried in and out and there was an outside toilet. Grandmas was always glad to see us and greedy us warmly. For many years she would not let us leave until we had something to eat. They would fire-up the old coal stove and cook something. Father tired to get Grandma to go to the dentist and have her few remaining teeth pulled and have false teeth made. But she didn't want to. She gummed her food. I never heard her complain about anything nor heard her critiaze anyone. She would not talk about her past. Father tired and tired to talk and and get her to talk about her early life. I remember on a number of occasions as we left and went home Father had tears in his eyes and said how he wished she would talk about her early life. Grandma faced each loss of child very quietly. There were tears but no complaints. When they told Grandma about my Fathers passing, quietly said yes I know. He came and sat by me.

Life timeline of Rozena Oaks (Nelson)

Rozena Oaks (Nelson) was born on 4 Jun 1908
Rozena Oaks (Nelson) was 6 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
See More
Rozena Oaks (Nelson) was 21 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
See More
Rozena Oaks (Nelson) was 23 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
See More
Rozena Oaks (Nelson) was 37 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
See More
Rozena Oaks (Nelson) was 47 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
See More
Rozena Oaks (Nelson) was 56 years old when John F. Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas; hours later, Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in aboard Air Force One as the 36th President of the United States. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, commonly referred to by his initials JFK, was an American politician who served as the 35th President of the United States from January 1961 until his assassination in November 1963. He served at the height of the Cold War, and the majority of his presidency dealt with managing relations with the Soviet Union. As a member of the Democratic Party, Kennedy represented the state of Massachusetts in the United States House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate prior to becoming president.
See More
Rozena Oaks (Nelson) was 64 years old when Munich massacre: Nine Israeli athletes die (along with a German policeman) at the hands of the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group after being taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games. Two other Israeli athletes were slain in the initial attack the previous day. The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, in which the Palestinian terrorist group Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them along with a West German police officer.
See More
Rozena Oaks (Nelson) was 73 years old when The first launch of a Space Shuttle (Columbia) takes place: The STS-1 mission. The Space Shuttle was a partially reusable low Earth orbital spacecraft system operated by the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), as part of the Space Shuttle program. Its official program name was Space Transportation System (STS), taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development. The first of four orbital test flights occurred in 1981, leading to operational flights beginning in 1982. In addition to the prototype whose completion was cancelled, five complete Shuttle systems were built and used on a total of 135 missions from 1981 to 2011, launched from the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida. Operational missions launched numerous satellites, interplanetary probes, and the Hubble Space Telescope (HST); conducted science experiments in orbit; and participated in construction and servicing of the International Space Station. The Shuttle fleet's total mission time was 1322 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 23 seconds.
See More
Rozena Oaks (Nelson) died on 3 May 1998 at the age of 89
Grave record for Rozena Oaks (Nelson) (4 Jun 1908 - 3 May 1998), BillionGraves Record 9444 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States