Ronald Oris Newell

24 Oct 1937 - 25 Sep 2006

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Ronald Oris Newell

24 Oct 1937 - 25 Sep 2006
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Ronald Oris Newell (24 Oct 1937 - 25 Sep 2006) at Orem Cemetery in Orem, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Ronald Oris Newell
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Ronald Oris Newell


Orem Cemetery

770 Murdock Canal Trail
Orem, Utah, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Our Children: Robyn, Kevin, Tamara, Ryan, Stacey, Kelli, Brandon, Tara, Tiffanie, Susan, Cindy, Tracy, David


August 9, 2011


August 5, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Ronald Oris...

We found more records about Ronald Oris Newell.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Ronald Oris


Ronald Oris Newell is buried in the Orem Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Life's Experiences of Ronald O. Newell

Contributor: ValerieC84 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Ronald Dictated Some of His Thoughts to his first wife, Linda. I was born upstairs in the old American Fork Hospital on October 24, 1937. My parents paid $35 for the ten days Mom and I were in the hospital. The doctor's fee was $25. I was born on a Sunday. My father and I both have the name Oris (named after Cealey Oris Newell, my grandfather). My hair at birth was blonde, which is now brown. I have brown eyes and my adult height is 5 feet 11 inches. My adult weight is 220 pounds. My first playmates were the Kenison children. I also played with my cousins on the Kitchen side of my family: Lynette, Bob, Joyce, and Don. My sister Merlene and I were close when we were small. I called her "Pinkie." One unusual habit I had was that I would only drink the juice off the bottled fruit when I was a baby. My parents ate the fruit dry and gave me the juice. Mom once tied me to their clothes line so she could work in the garden. I yelled and cried so loud, she soon had to let me free. Our first home, also the only one my parents ever lived in, had four rooms--two upstairs and two downstairs. Merlene and I slept downstairs. Dad would take the pot and Ron and Mom would take the clock and Merlene and tuck us in. They later built more rooms on. We had only a few neighbors when I was a child. They were the McCarthys (John and Agnes and Jack and Wilma) the Bradshaws (Sam and Miriam and their daughter DeLenna and husband Orville Mecham) the Bakers and the Kenisons. One year when I was helping to decorate our Christmas tree, I fell off a chair into the tree. Another memorable Christmas was when Merlene and I got the new bicycles we had wanted. One year we both had a big wrapped package and when we opened it, there was another smaller box inside of it. Each time we unwrapped one, we'd find another inside until we found wrist watches inside the last one. Our family owned horses when I was growing up. I had a few horses of my own. Nip is the one I liked best. I owned her until fall of 1964. After selling our horses, camping became my favorite pastime. Our first travel trailer was a 13 foot Jet; then we bought a 17 1/2 foot Road Ranger. I loved both of my parents very much. They taught me to be truthful, kind, and trustworthy. If I said I would do something, I was to do it no matter what. They were both very industrious and taught me to be hard-working and to do the job right the first time. I hope I will be able to teach that to my own children. They encouraged me to go to church and participate in other activities. Mom and Dad taught us kids not to waste anything. Dad taught us to treat animals well and to feed them as well as we ourselves were fed. We were taught to do chores in our home (make beds and wash the dishes) as well as to work in the yard. As a child and young adult I stuttered and was unable to say certain words (like strawberry) which greatly embarrassed me. I had a learning disability and worked with a remedial reading teacher throughout junior high and high school, until I dropped out of school. I struggled my whole life with not being able to read well.

Courtship and Marriage 1962

Contributor: ValerieC84 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Courtship and Marriage I met my wife at Jody and Paquita Elder's Dance School. Her name was Linda Anne French. I was twenty-four years old and she was sixteen (although I thought her to be older). My first impression of Linda was that she was kind of cute, skinny, and kind of stuck up. I asked her to go with me to the "Ice Follies" for our first date. Before we could go, I broke my foot and we couldn't go. A few weeks later on a Sunday, we drove up Provo Canyon to Canyon Glen picnic area, where she said she'd like to walk in the leaves. I thought that was kind of funny, but we did. We dated for six months and were engaged on Christmas Eve 1961. One Saturday, we went to Provo and looked at rings; she picked out the one she liked. I wanted to surprise her, so I said we'll wait until later. I took her home and then went back and bought the ring. I thought I'd give it to her on Christmas. We were parked at her mother's house. We sat and talked awhile; then I gave her the diamond solitaire ring and proposed. She said it would make her the happiest girl in the world. Then we kissed. We were married on March 14, 1962 in the Salt Lake Temple. I got off work at noon on Wednesday, our wedding day. I went and got Linda and her folks and we drove to Salt Lake City, with my folks following us in their car. We spent about five and a half hours in the temple taking out our endowments and being married. At 10:30 pm when we came out, my Dad took us to dinner at the Polynesian Kitchen. I really wasn't hungry; I was more nervous and had a headache. We honeymooned in Salt Lake City, spending two days in the honeymoon suite at the Holiday Inn.

Our Children Are Born

Contributor: ValerieC84 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Our first child, Susan Anne, was born March 9, 1964. Cindy was born nearly two years late on July 22, 1966 in Jerome, Idaho where we had been vacationing at Red Fish Lake. Our family doctor discovered that Susan (then aged two years) had a congenital hip problem that would require surgery to make a hip socket on her left side. I blessed her before her first surgery. Deep down, I knew she would need more surgery. After her second operation when I blessed her, I knew she would be healed and the operation would be a success. Our sons, Tracy and David, came along later--with the spacing between our daughters and sons, we raised two families (like my parents had done with their children). It was fun buying "boy toys" at Christmas and birthdays. I worked for twenty-eight years as a fitter for a steel fabricating company called Mountain States Steel. I started out as a painter's assistant, cleaning the steel so the painter could apply the paint to the beams. I tried welding, but I didn't like the sparks and smoke. I took a class at the Provo Trade Tech in reading blueprints. I became a fitter and prepared the steel for the welders to do their work. When the company went out of business, I tried being a custodian, which I didn't enjoy. I worked for two other steel fabricating companies before I retired early due to health problems. Things we did as a family was to go camping in the Uintah Mountains, Lava Hot Springs, Red Fish Lake, and Sun Valley, Idaho. We vacationed many times at Granite Creek, a forest camp which was about seven miles out from Jackson Hole, Wyoming. There was a naturally heated swimming pool where we spent a lot of pleasant hours. Another favorite vacation spot was Zions National Park and Canyonlands in southern Utah. After I purchased the red jeep, we went down to Moab, Utah and drove over jeep trails and through river beds, taking in the beauty of the red rocks. Most of our vacations were spent with my folks and other relatives. We attended several Kitchen family reunions both in Idaho and Utah. We attended a few Wright family reunions with Aunt Lillian Swenson and others of the Wright and Robbins families. We always enjoyed a close family relationship with Dad and Mom's relatives.

Our Children's Growing Up Years

Contributor: ValerieC84 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Our daughter Cindy was called to serve in the California Arcadia Mission. In an interview with President Starley, I'd promised Cindy that her money would always be there to support her on her mission. There was trouble all the way through of a different sort. We had to keep going to Brother Bob Moore about her not receiving her money--even to sending her some personal checks to keep her going. It all worked out, somehow. Tracy was ordained a deacon. He had his first surgery to lengthen his Achilles tendons the next day. I got to ordain both our boys to the office of deacon. David was ordained while Cindy was on her mission. Each Sunday as Tracy and David passed the sacrament, I felt very proud of them. I next ordained Tracy to a teacher. I was pleased to see him prepare the sacrament and be an usher. He made me proud of the way he honored his priesthood. After Cindy returned from her mission, I was sad to see that she and Fred Brown weren't to be together after they had waited two years for each other. He left about six months before Cindy to serve his mission in Ireland. They wrote letters to each other, but didn't continue seeing each other once they returned home. Cindy met Jeffrey Nelson at school and started to date him. I felt quite pleased about it. Cindy confided in me that she had feelings about this young man. I advised her to pray about it to help her in her choice. When she and Jeff got engaged, Linda and I were happy about it because we felt he was a great young man. It felt wonderful when Susan decided to move home after Cindy got home from her mission. We were together as a family again. Susan was a daughter to be proud of because she did so much for other people. For example, giving of her time to feed the homeless, contributing money to help Cindy on her mission, and giving gifts of groceries to her Aunt Sharon at Christmas. She was good to her brothers by taking them to movies, to get drinks, and playing with them. I was happy that she was able to go up to Salt Lake City and stay overnight with her girl friends, Meriam and Tammy. They went out to many different restaurants to eat.

Facing Tragedy As A Family

Contributor: ValerieC84 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

On the evening of Sunday, January 28, 1990, Susan took David with her down to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center to exercise. She had a membership at the hospital's wellness center and often used their exercise equipment. At 8:00 pm I received a phone call from the fire department asking if I had a daughter Susan and a son David. They had been in a car accident. David wasn't hurt too badly, but Susan was injured more. We rushed right down to the hospital and asked where our kids were. David was in a room being prepared for stitches in his knee. Susan was upstairs having a CAT scan. At this point we didn't know the seriousness of her condition. Because David wasn't hurt too badly, we thought maybe she had a bump on her head and would be all right. When David was stitched up, we asked to see Susan. Then we were told the doctors wanted to talk to us. They showed us to a private waiting room. They told us Susan had a hemotoma. The phone rang and one of the doctors was talking about a young woman who would die if surgery wasn't performed immediately. I had the feeling it was Susan he was talking about--and it was. I was very upset and angry that this could be happening.

Family Life At The Newells

Contributor: ValerieC84 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

The Newells were a close-knit family who worked together and played together. The parents owned several acres of land, on which their home stood, while the rest was their farm. They had fruit trees, a large vegetable garden, and an alfalfa field grown to feed their horses. They also raised animals--a cow, a pig, and chickens. Ron's dad often said their green stucco house was "the house Oris built." It originally had only the kitchen, living room, and one bedroom. For several years they had only an outhouse instead of an indoor bathroom. Located behind the house was a barn, horse corral, and a shed used as a car garage. When each of their four children married, they gave each of them "a piece of ground." Ron and I secured a loan and purchased a pre-fabricated house from a company in Draper, Utah, and had it moved onto our lot, next door to his parents. Later their two daughters, Merlene and Ann, built homes on lots given to them. From the time Ron and I were married, his folks counseled us and pitched in and worked with us. They helped lay the cinder block foundation for our house and later helped pour our cement driveway and porches. We dug out a "fruit room" or storage room under our house for canned food and just about anything else we could fit into the small space. Living next door to Ron's parents really didn't cause many problems. They "kept tabs" on our comings and goings, and sometimes asked us where we had gone. There were some advantages to living next door to each other, but may have resulted in too much dependency, leading to friction. Caring for the vegetable garden was a family project. At times the weeding and the "water turn" didn't come at convenient times. At times, it seemed, Ron and I were the only family members available to help. When the peas, beans, fruit and grapes were ripe, we took turns as families picking and canning them. Occasionally we got the first picking. Ron's mom could tell when an ear of corn was ripe just by feeling the outside of the ear through the husk. Nearly everyone in the family got together when the corn was ripe about the first week of August. An assembly line was formed to pick, shuck, par boil, and cut the corn from the cobs. It was then measured into plastic freezer bags. We all got our fair share. This chore was followed by a picnic lunch held in their back yard. It was a fun time. Every summer we went on vacation trips with Ron's parents, mostly to either Idaho or Wyoming. We bought a ten-foot Jet travel trailer when our daughter Susan was a baby. We went camping often on weekends. I went into premature labor with Cindy while we were camped at Red Fish Lake near Ketchum, Idaho. We decided to drive home after hearing from a nurse at the hospital in Sun Valley that our baby's delivery was hours away. We drove as far as the city of Jerome before our car broke down in the middle of town. Ron's mom was afraid she'd have to deliver the baby but was spared the task when a volunteer ambulance came to transport me to the local hospital. Once when Susan was three or four years old, she was in the barn with her Grandpa Newell when he must have said a swear word. He recounted that Susan said to him, "Don't say sony bitch, Grandpa." This little story was retold even years later. Ron's dad retired in 1976 and he and Mom spent every winter for fourteen years in Yuma, Arizona. After his having had two serious heart attacks, they were unable to make the long journey to Yuma and sold their fifth wheel trailer.

Our Married Life

Contributor: ValerieC84 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Ron and I met in August 1961. He invited me to see the "Ice Follies" with him. Before we could go, he broke his foot while at work. His mom and sister Ann went in our place. Our first date was to see a movie "Spartacus." When the snow became deep, Ron asked me go go sledding with him and his younger sister and brother. It was scary to speed down the hill--but fun. Our first kiss was something that truly thrilled me. Ron had taken me for a drive at Utah Lake. It was a warm, Indian summer evening with a pretty sunset shining over the water. He stopped the car and drew me into his embrace and lightly kissed me. I was walking on air when he brought me home. My mom suspected that something wonderful had happened to her Linda. I was so deeply in love that I could think of little else than being Ron's steady girl. He took me shopping at Zales Jewelers to pick out the ring that I liked. On Christmas Eve night Ron opened a little velvet box, withdrew a beautiful diamond solitaire ring and asked if I'd marry him. Of course, I accepted. Our gifts to each other that Christmas was a pretty blue musical jewelry box from Ron to me, and a pair of monogrammed cuff links from me to Ron. Before we were married, we spent several Sunday afternoons at both of our parents' homes. I cooked a dinner one Sunday and invited Ron over. I baked a chocolate cake for dessert--his favorite flavor as I learned. He surprised me by asking for a bowl and some milk and then pouring it over his chocolate cake. Dinnertime at the Newells; was a pleasant time with laughter and mild teasing from Ron's dad. Ron took me to several stake dances and the stake Sweetheart Ball held during the week of Valentine's Day. I had received a beautiful lacy, full-skirted black chiffon dress and a pair of black high-heeled shoes as a gift from my mom and Grandma Walton. I felt that we made a handsome couple on the night of this very special dance. Other activities we enjoyed doing together was going to movies. He enjoyed Westerns and I loved musicals and romantic comedies. He took me to see "The King and I" and an Elvis Presley movie, "Blue Hawaii." Ron had worked at Park's Cafe as a teenager to earn money to buy a car. When he took me there to eat after a date, the owner and servers knew him personally. I was so nervous the first time we ate at Park's Cafe that I choked on my glass of water. I made sure I didn't order anything too expensive from the menu. Other restaurants we ate out were Bill & Iva's, the Grandview Restaurant (Chinese food), Kirk's Cafe, and the Hi-Spot. The first year we were married we purchased a beautiful blue spruce tree. Ron had especially wanted this type of tree. It made the living room smell of fragrant pine scent. We quickly discovered that because of our different backgrounds, we had different expectations towards gift-giving. Ron gave me more gifts than I gave him. I thought that I was being a good wife by not splurging or spending too much on gifts. He couldn't cover up his disappointment, and I felt bad for him. I made sure from then on that I gave him more gifts. We always went next door to Ron's folks' house early on Christmas morning to open gifts. We alternated between our parents' homes to eat Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. When Ron's Newell grandparents were both alive, we had supper on Christmas Eve at their house. Oyster stew was their traditional meal, which I didn't enjoy very much. Grandma Newell served other dishes as well, which I could enjoy. We were often invited to my parents' home for supper on Christmas Eve. My dad opened the scriptures and read the story of the birth of Jesus from Luke 2. We also read other fictional stories as well; "The Little Match Girl"l was one. Mom and I got together and made gingerbread cookies. Baking and decorating the variety of cookies had been a tradition since I was a little girl. When our family came over, Mom served them with hot, spiced punch--a delicious drink made with oranges, lemons, and pineapple juice. From the beginning of our marriage, Ron insisted that I learn how to cook some of his mom's recipes. Her way of baking a turkey and the dressing especially were delicious. Chocolate pudding, carrot pudding and chocolate cake all made from "scratch" were favorites of Ron's that I learned to make. He remarked that I could feed him anything as long as It was followed by dessert, preferably chocolate cake.

Life timeline of Ronald Oris Newell

Ronald Oris Newell was born on 24 Oct 1937
Ronald Oris Newell was 8 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Ronald Oris Newell was 20 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Ronald Oris Newell was 26 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Ronald Oris Newell was 40 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
Ronald Oris Newell was 52 years old when Cold War: Fall of the Berlin Wall: East Germany opens checkpoints in the Berlin Wall, allowing its citizens to travel to West Berlin. The Berlin Wall was a guarded concrete barrier that physically and ideologically divided Berlin from 1961 to 1989. Constructed by the German Democratic Republic, starting on 13 August 1961, the Wall cut off West Berlin from virtually all of surrounding East Germany and East Berlin until government officials opened it in November 1989. Its demolition officially began on 13 June 1990 and finished in 1992. The barrier included guard towers placed along large concrete walls, accompanied by a wide area that contained anti-vehicle trenches, "fakir beds" and other defenses. The Eastern Bloc portrayed the Wall as protecting its population from fascist elements conspiring to prevent the "will of the people" in building a socialist state in East Germany.
Ronald Oris Newell was 54 years old when The World Wide Web is opened to the public. The World Wide Web (WWW), also called the Web, is an information space where documents and other web resources are identified by Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), interlinked by hypertext links, and accessible via the Internet. English scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web in 1989. He wrote the first web browser in 1990 while employed at CERN in Switzerland. The browser was released outside CERN in 1991, first to other research institutions starting in January 1991 and to the general public on the Internet in August 1991.
Ronald Oris Newell died on 25 Sep 2006 at the age of 68
Grave record for Ronald Oris Newell (24 Oct 1937 - 25 Sep 2006), BillionGraves Record 97295 Orem, Utah, Utah, United States