Roland Platt Adams

18 Feb 1902 - 14 Feb 1930

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Roland Platt Adams

18 Feb 1902 - 14 Feb 1930
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Roland Platt Adams (1902-1930 As his Wife and Son knew him It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon in May 1922. I, Inez Dorius, was visiting with my sister and her family, Delbert and Callie Rasmussen and family, at their home in Ucolc, Utah. That had invited Roland Platt Adams, from Monticello out to v

Life Information

Roland Platt Adams


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States


April 5, 2015


April 5, 2015

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Roland Platt


Roland Platt Adams is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Obituary - Roland Platt Adams

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Published in the San Juan Record on Feb 20, 1930. Some of the death details where left out. LIVES OF PETER BAILEY AND ROLAND ADAMS sNUFFED OUT IN TH TWINKLING OF AN EYE. Freight train hits truck at crossing East of Greenriver, killing both Men in Most Tragic Manner. The People of Monticello received a shock that almost caused the suspension of business throughout the town. Friday afternoon last, when a phone message was repeated from mouth to mouth, stating that Peter Bailey and Roland Adams had been killed in a railroad crossing accident five miles east of Greenriver. Particluars of the tragedy were very meager at the time, though it was asserted that they both met instant death and relatives of the men immediately made preparations to go to the scene of the wreck and take charge of the bodies, Geo. Adams, J.M. and Ralph Bailey, Mrs. Peter Bailey and Mrs J.M. Bailey, starting as soon as they could. The particulare of the deahful affair pieced together when all the facts became known, Were that Mr. Adams, who operated a fteight truck, had loaded five head of cattle belonging to Peter Bailey on it that morning, and Mr. Bailey had gone with them, expecting to market then in Price. They reached the railroad crossing at 12:10p.m. accourding to the engineer of the train which caused the accident. The fireman of the train said that he had seen the truck on the road traveling at about the same rate of speed that the train was going and a little ahead of it, but a half mile from the crossing, that he had watched the truck buyt supposed that it would naturally slow up before trying to cross the railroad. He stated tha a slight distance east of teh crossing the railroad ran thought a cut which obsturcted his view of the truck on the road, but as soon as he saw it agin he realized that the driver had not seen the train and that a collision was inevitable. He yelled to the engineer, but as the train was in less than 100 yards of the crossing at the time, it would have been impossible to stop. He watched the truck in fascination and said it looked as though just before reaching the crossing the driver of the truck had attempted to stop, but that the distance was too short and the truck was just half way over the crossing when the heavy engine with the long train behind, struck it just back of the cab, doubling the frame of the truck around the front of the engine, where it rode until the train could be stopped, a distance of over 800 yards. newell Dalton and Dan Granell, riding in a Moab garage truck, on their way to greenriver to Moab, were stopped about fifty yards away on the north side of the railraod, when the accident accurred. They both stated that the first intimation they had that anything had occured was when a large ball of fire enveloped the front of the engine, but as the train passed they saw the remnants of the truck riding the cow catcher. They of course, rushed up to the crossing and saw ***Sensored (Mr. Adams' Body)***. They went on down the track to where the train had stopped, and helped extinguish the fire. ***Sensored (Mr. Bailey's Body)*** The bodies were loaded on the truck and taken to Greenriver, where they were prepared for shipment back to their homes in Monticello, the sad cortege reaching there Saturday afternoon. The funeral was set for Tuesday morning, in orged ot allow relatives of the deceased to who lived a great distance to attend. Source: Find a grave website

Roland Platt Adams (1902-1930)

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Roland Platt Adams (1902-1930 As his Wife and Son knew him It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon in May 1922. I, Inez Dorius, was visiting with my sister and her family, Delbert and Callie Rasmussen and family, at their home in Ucolc, Utah. That had invited Roland Platt Adams, from Monticello out to visit them and meet their lonesome sister and aunt. I had decided to take a walk on the near by hills. As I was strolling along I felt that I was not alone. Turned to see who it was and found a fine looking young man, who introduced himself as Roland Platt Adams, a friend of the family from Monticello. I was surely pleased to meet him, Pat as he was known to everyone. I had heard so much about him that I felt as though I had known him for a long time. And I was not lonesome any more. Jack Rasmussen, a brother-in-law of my sister Callie, was operating a drygoods store in Monticello and wanted me to come to Monticello and live with them and work in the store. This I did and enjoyed it very much. Florence McCafferty who came to Monticello with me and was working in Monticello went out to Ucolo to help in the store. I don=t know why they did it unless it was to help me get acquainted with Pat. Well, it worked. From this time on I saw Pat Adams very often, almost every day. The Adams home was right by the store, but the farm was some distance south of town. All the boys were needed our there. My sister Callie and her husband Dell Rasmussen and family arranged to take me to all the scenic places in the area; including Mesa Verde Park and others. And they were most thoughtful, they always included Pat Adams. And for some reason he could always go with us. I thought it was wonderful. And I think everyone was happy. Pat took me to all the other celebrations in the area; Monticello, Blanding, Bluff, and even Moab, and then we had the cook-outs on the Blue Mountain. We even went to he Indian Pow Wow=s in Bluff. I learned a lot of things about the Indians, for which I was glad for I could use it in school as I was a teacher. Pat was wonderful. We saw each other almost every day and were beginning to like each other. Pat was the life of the parties. He loved to sing, so he would start the singing and then the others would join in, and we would have a merry time. It did not matter where the party was, mountains, park, or church, we would always end up with the group singing. All of this made me like Pat better and want to come back. And then the summer was over and I must leave my job, my sister and family and my new friends. All of them had made it special and I really didn't want to leave. But I must go back to my teaching and everything. Pat said he would write to me and come to visit me, which he did. We talked of marriage, which we both wanted. It was during the depression. I had a job teaching and if we waited a year I could probably get ready. He came to visit me a few times and then he was gone. I did not hear from him and his mother did not know where he was. I thought he had just gotten tired of waiting and gone his way. Which is of course what happened. His mother was worried about him and called me to see if I knew where he was, but I could not help her. Then I began to wonder what had happened, and wished I had married him. It was not long until I received a letter from him. He had had his fill of fending for himself in the world and wanted to come back and visit me. I was glad I had not married someone else and told him to come. Of course when he came we talked marriage, and set the date, 2nd June 1925 just a year. Pat was a farmer and had taken over part of his father's ranch called Verdure Creek. We planned to build a little house facing south, just above the creek. A little stream ran by our house on the north so we could water our yard and garden and also take care of our livestock. A farmer's wish come true. It was wonderful, a newly wed's dream. Pat was getting ready for me and I was getting ready for him. It was during the depression. Pat was working hard to get the house ready and I wan working hard too. And we were busy sending letters every day. Finally the spring of 1925 came and we were excited. It was the 25th of May and school was out and I was going to get married on the 25th of June but my friend and co-worker wanted me to go home with her and visit with her mother but I was uneasy and I felt that my mother needed me. So I went home and had just gotten in the house when a boy came with a telegram. The telegram was from Monticello telling us the sad news. My sister Callie had died suddenly and the family was bringing her home for burial and would we please make the arrangements. I knew then why I was needed home. Of course we were grief --------

Life timeline of Roland Platt Adams

Roland Platt Adams was born on 18 Feb 1902
Roland Platt Adams was 10 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Roland Platt Adams was 27 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Roland Platt Adams died on 14 Feb 1930 at the age of 28
Grave record for Roland Platt Adams (18 Feb 1902 - 14 Feb 1930), BillionGraves Record 13422592 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States