Robert Lang Campbell

Died: 11 Apr 1874

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Robert Lang Campbell

Died: 11 Apr 1874
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

“…my spirit is not pleasant nor happy unless I am at work…” (Robert Lang Campbell Diary 1855-1873 p. 110) Robert Lang Campbell, faithful and zealous missionary, pioneer, father and educational leader, was born on January 21, 1825 in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire Scotland. The Campbells were weave
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Robert Lang Campbell
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Robert Lang Campbell


Salt Lake City Cemetery

200-250 N St
Salt Lake City, Utah, Salt Lake County, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

There are many Campbell family members buried in this plot. Many in unmarked graves.

Also in the plot is Elizabeth Jordan, a friend of Robert Lang Campbell, who was from Scotland and died of pneumonia.

Also two infants: Martha J. and Margaret Ann Gray daughters of John and Jane Gray, who both died from the measles within days of each other. John and Jane Gray were also from Scotland.


July 31, 2012


June 29, 2012


June 18, 2012


October 24, 2012

LaRue Johnstun

May 12, 2020


May 12, 2020


April 27, 2019


June 9, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Robert Lang...

We found more records about Robert Lang Campbell.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Robert Lang


Robert Lang Campbell is buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Robert Lang Campbell

Contributor: AYoung Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

“…my spirit is not pleasant nor happy unless I am at work…” (Robert Lang Campbell Diary 1855-1873 p. 110) Robert Lang Campbell, faithful and zealous missionary, pioneer, father and educational leader, was born on January 21, 1825 in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire Scotland. The Campbells were weavers by trade, a generally literate and radical group. Robert attended college in Glasgow and studied to become a “Writer” or law clerk. While a student there he broke his arm or wrist. The physician who set it did so improperly and his arm failed to develop. First a Chartist, Robert Campbell was converted to the Gospel as was his brother, John, by Priest John Craig, baptized on August 9, 1842 against the wishes of his father and confirmed on August 14, 1842. As an unordained 18 year old, on July 1, 1843 he was sent on a mission to Dalry and surrounding areas where he went door to door bearing testimony and inviting people to attend missionary meetings. They gathered in small or large groups in homes or wherever they could find to meet to hear the gospel preached by Robert and his companions. He was ordained a Priest on November 5, 1843. In February 1844 his year’s engagement was over in the office where he was employed and his master decided not to retain him because of his missionary activity. Having no great liking for the Writers office and preferring to preach the gospel, he began a full-time mission in the West of Scotland. Threatened by apostates spreading lies about him and the church and anti-Mormon literature, Robert endured with faith even witnessing miracles and a few convert baptisms. At the end of 1844, through the gift of tongues, it was revealed to him that he should go to America even though some of Robert’s family had immigrated to Canada. The trip was financed by the doctor who improperly set his arm or wrist, according to family lore. On January 14, 1845 at the age of 20 with an impacted wisdom tooth, he left Glasgow, his family and his sweetheart arriving in New Orleans March 8th and Nauvoo March 26th, a journey of 10 weeks and one day. On the way he met some Scottish apostates in St. Louis but was undeterred. In Nauvoo, a blessing from Brigham Young bolstered his faith. Throughout his life he had concerns about his status in the eyes of Brigham Young and even had dreams about him. His skills were in demand in Nauvoo. He worked as a teacher and clerked for John and William Smith, both of whom gave him patriarchal blessings and wrote as a personal clerk for Willard Richards, a number of apostles and Brigham Young. His Scottish sweetheart, Joan Scobie, arrived in Nauvoo on November 15, 1845. Robert married her 5 days later on the 20th with John Smith officiating. On February 2, 1846 Joan and Robert “went through the ordinances of washings and anointing in the Temple”. Mobs attacked Nauvoo in September 1846 with guns and cannons. The saints were forced to sign a treaty which allowed them only 10 days to leave Nauvoo. Six families were allowed to stay behind to sell land. After a meeting in the temple, they moved out and crossed the Mississippi river. As they camped on the prairie on October 16, 1846 Joan delivered a still-born son and died 2 hours later. Robert was sick and dizzy from “the weather and scanty diet” but had to move on despite his illness and grief. He wished to be back in Scotland but knew he would regret going back. As he neared Winter Quarters he developed “the flux” and felt he would have died had not Sister Mayberry taken him in and helped him to recover. In Winter Quarters on Jan 16, 1847 Robert was living in Brigham Young’s home and helping him write. Because he was in charge of the post office he did not go with the first company to Salt Lake City. Robert arrived in Utah in 1848 and adopted the middle name Lang to avoid being confused with another Robert Campbell. He served a mission to the British Isles in 1850, as a teacher in the 14th ward, in the presidency of the 24th Quorum of the Seventy and helped haul rock for the temple. During his lifetime he was employed, elected or appointed to many positions. The following are mentioned in his journal and diary: Assistant Clerk of House of Representatives, Director, secretary and treasurer for the Deseret Agricultural and Manufacturing Society, Clerk of Universal Scientific Society, Secretary of Deseret Theological Institute, Regent of the University of the State of Deseret, Superintendent of Free School, Superintendent of common school for GSL County and for the Territory, Inspector of school teachers, developer of the Deseret Language at Pres. Young’s request, officiator at weddings, bookkeeper for Jordan Irrigation Company, clerk in the Church Historical office. In addition he maintained an extensive garden and kept livestock for his growing family of 22 children whom he moved to Provo for a time and then back to Salt Lake City. Brigham Young sealed 3 of his wives to him on May 6, 1855. Robert Lang Campbell died on April 11, 1874 in Salt Lake City at the age of 49. Robert Lang Campbell Who was the “territorial superintendent of common schools” in Utah in the 60’s, and whose report to the legislature of 18762-3 is quoted in the current chapter of “Fifty Years Ago”, was probably the first man in the territory with whom education was an absorbing hobby. His ancestry and place of birth need not be otherwise explained than by a reference to his name; and he exhibited the better and finer qualities of the sturdy stock from which he sprang. Coming to Utah in 1848 and associating perforce with men of rough, tough and unpolished fiber, he was nevertheless at all times the courteous, cultured gentleman, scholarly in his tastes and refined in his inclinations. The part he contributed to the early development of the common schools of these valleys cannot easily be measured; and to the end of his useful life the subject of education beyond all others lay nearest to his heart. (Our Gallery of Pioneers, Jenson’s Bio. Ency.)


Contributor: AYoung Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Introduction This typescript of a journal of Robert Lang Campbell is a verbatim transcription. The spelling of the original has not been corrected or modernized. The original of this journal is in the possession of the Harold B. Lee Library of Brigham Young University through the good offices of Afton Walker and the descendants of Moses W. Taylor. Dennis Rowley Curator of Manuscripts February 21, 1975 ROB CAMPBELL’S JOURNAL Commencing 1843 (18 years of age) Rob Campbell was born in Kilbarchan on the 21st of January 1825. Kilbarchan is a village in Renfrewshire Scotland. Was convinced of the truth of the fullness of the everlasting Gospel being again sent to man by Priest John Craig and “born again” on the 9th day of August 1842 and confirmed the 14th of same month by Brother Thomson at Glasgow conference at which Apostle P.P. Pratt was present. Sent out on 1st July 1843 by the Johnstone Council President Gibson Ellwood to bear testimony to the world along with Priest William Craig to Dalry a village 14 miles distant from Johnstone. On the Sabbath morning at about 6 o’clock went out of the town a half mile when a half square of houses inhabited by colliers presented itself. Br. Craig said I think we will preach there. We then retired and prayed that the Lord would open their hearts that they might give us some house to preach in which we got. We councilled how we would warn the people and agreed that each of us should begin at one end and warn them till we met. We warned them and got the majority of them to come and hear us. The only people that did not give us soft answers were a Roman Catholic and one of our native village. We preached to them and they gave us a show of hands that they wanted us back. Preached also at night. 3 September 1843 Went to Howwood along with Br. I. Craig Priest but could get no place to preach. 10 September Went with Bros. Craig and Martin Priests to bear testimony but before Br. Martin had got through the clouds were let loose upon us and we were obliged to stop. 17 September Went back again when on the road it began to rain when it was proposed we should ask God to stop the rain till we had borne testimony of the everlasting Gospel. Accordingly the three of us went off the road and asked God to do it which he did and for which I do sincerely thank him even so Amen. They preached and I bore testimony to a good many people who when it turned dark began to rally around us for the Lord he was with us and granted us much power to bear testimony to his own truths which caused us to go home rejoicing and singing the songs of Zion. 24 September 1843 Went along with the priests before mentioned again got few at the first to come and hear us except two or three old persons who had passed through the bustle of this world and now felt the withering hand of time upon them but we were terribly annoyed by a drunk man who began at first to show his foolishness by bringing a lookinglass to the door and looking in it very attentively but when the devil had got a good hold of him he began to show he was a Pugilist and for boxing all around him. He occasionally went in to an Inn and Tollhouse and would come out and begin the dancing, whistling or shouting and at last came to so close quarters that he almost forced us to stop but we all bore faithful testimony rejoicing that the devil had no power over us and that he had to employ such weak persons in Howwood to do his work. Intimated that if they wanted us we would come back when some women had the boldness to say that some like to hear us well enough. 8 October 1843 Went and bore testimony when the people would scarcely listen to us. 15 October 1843 Went to Dalry this morning and came back with Priest I. Craig. People were not aware of our coming consequently we did not get many. Bore testimony twice to very inattentive sinners. 4 November Br. Hedlock having sent word that he wished to hold a two day conference with the Glasgow Conference went in but no meeting could be got up today till night when Br. Hedlock addressed us. 5 November Conference held today when I was called from a member to the office of a Priest by Br. McCue and ordained under the hands of Br. Reuben Hedlock High Priest.+

Thomas Todd

Contributor: AYoung Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Having neglected to keep a journal and thinking my history might be edifying at some future period to my posterity, I therefore commence to give a short history as I may remember. I, Thomas Todd Sr., son of John Todd and Marrion Lorimer was born Jan 28, 1821, in Penpoint, Dumfries County, Scotland. My parents were members of the Presibtarian Church, they having 6 sons and 5 daughters, viz., John, Jane, James, William, Alexander, Thomas Adam, Hellen, Isabella, Marrion and Sarah. My mind was religiously inclined from my youth and I sought to know the mind of the Lord concerning myself. My occupation was in the farming business until 1850. At which time I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My parents so far as they knew, lived a very exemplary life. My father was what they called an Elder of the Relief or Presbiterian church for about 20 years. I also joined the same church by my parents council about the age of 17 years and most of my brothers and sisters did join the same, but owing to some improper conduct of our leader, we all left the church. My parents and family went to what was called the Reformed Presbiterian and I alone went to the United Succession and Relief. They believed in free communion and there I remained until I heard the gospel taught by the Latter-day Saints and very soon embraced the same. My parents brought up their children in a very orderly manner and were very punctual to family and secret prayers. We were very much attached to each other as brothers and sisters. On the 9th of August 1842, brother William drowned while bathing nearby in Dudley, Worchestershire, England. He was born on the 25th day of October 1817, Penpont Parish, Dumfries County, Scotland. This was the first death in the family. He was buried at the Independent Chapel in Dudley. And on November 6, 1847, Brother James died of a lingering consumption in my father’s house and was buried in the Penpont churchyard. My father died on the 18th of October 1849 and was buried by the side of brother James. My father never heard the gospel of Christ as taught by the priesthood or one having authority. And on the 25th of January 1850, I was married to Margaret Shankland, 2nd daughter of James Shankland and Margaret Kimmen. Her parents belonged to the Church of Scotland and were members thereof. They had 6 sons and 3 daughters namely, John, Mary, Robert, James, and one died in infancy, Margaret, Thomas Wm. died 3 years of age and Isabella Mary died previous to our marriage and likewise James, her brother and her father. They lived in Durisdeer Dumfrieshire. My wife was born on the 12th of November, 1826 at Mayshill, Durisdeer Parish and in the summer of 1850 we heard the gospel of Christ of salvation by James Steel, a member of the Latter-day Saints Church and a former acquaintance of my own. I had no rest day or night until I went and obeyed the requirements of the gospel and on the 1st of September, I along with another man of the name of John Murdock, traveled 16 miles on Sunday morning to a branch of the church, there being none nearer. We found the Saints in a humble dwelling, there being about 12 members in all, male and female. This was at a place called Luggar, Old Cummock, Ayrshire. In the time of the meeting, the window was broken by a stone from some enemy. To me, this was a new thing as I never before had seen a true servant of God persecuted for his religion. After the meeting was over and some conversation passed between us, we repaired to the side of clear brook in which I requested to be baptized. I went into the water and was emersed by Peter Robison, he being a priest, and was confirmed a member by the laying on of hands by James Adamson and others with him. While I was in the water, there was a crowd of our enemies around us and many throwing rocks in the water. I returned home while John Murdock went to some friends in that neighborhood. The next morning while mowing oats along with some of my fellow servants, my master, for I was a plowman, came and asked me some questions concerning the religion that I believed, for he did not know that I had embraced it, and at that time the Lord loosened my tongue. For at that time the Spirit of the Lord fell upon me, even the Holy Ghost and comforter, and it seemed as if I was lifted into the air above their heads and I talked to them and they had not power against my spirit nor the spirit of my God and that caused my soul to rejoice in the principles of salvation for the living and the dead, for my father and 2 brothers, namely James and William that died without knowledge of the true gospel and also my wife’s relatives. On the 29th of September, 1850 or 2 weeks after I was baptized (15 Sep 1850), two of the Elders from Luggar came to where I lived at that time, namely Sanquhar, Dumfieshire, and baptized my wife, John Murdock and his wife and Ann Steel, sister to James Steel. The Elders names were Thomas Heattley and Issac Wilson. We then began to receive great persecution from all the people round about, we being the first in all that region of the country, but the Lord our God strengthened us. Fully did I realize the words of our Savior when upon the earth in the world, “Ye shall have tribulations but in me ye shall have peace”. I now thought I could turn all my relations to search after the truth, but so blinded were their minds, they only rose up and persecuted me and up to this time there has not one of my relations nor of my wife, embrace the true faith to my knowledge. On the first day of December, Sunday morning, 1850, our eldest and first born son, was born into the world. We called him John after the name of my father. He was blessed by Robert Campbell from the valley. He was blessed with good health and the priesthood and to reign with Christ on Zion. I believe he was the first child in that county that was blessed after the order of God in this last Dispensation. On the 17th of August, 1851 I was appointed to hold the office of a priest by the instructions of Robert L. Campbell and was ordained to that office by Elder John Drennen who was then a traveling Elder, and James Gallochae was ordained to the same office at the same time, having joined the church a little after John Murdock and I. About this time, our traveling elders left us, namely William Aird and John Drennan, and D. W. Davis succeeded them. I was called to lift up my warning voice along with him to the people in that region, being at that time living in a village called Kirkconale. I was called upon to hold meetings and preside in Kirkconale and Sanquhar in which places I believe I bore a faithful testimony. Often in Kirkconale, I was sorely persecuted and driven from their streets while endeavoring to teach them the principles of life and salvation. Often did they threaten my life, but the Lord preserved me amidst them all. Soon after this, my mother died but I do not remember the date. (27 Mar 1852) She died of rupter colleek. She was opposed to the gospel as taught to us on account of tradition and also my brothers. On the 4th of December, 1852 our second son James Shankland Todd was born in Kirkconale. He was named after by wife’s father. He was blessed by D. W. Davis to wear the priesthood and to stand with the faithful on Mount Zion. And on the 2nd of February, 1853 I was called to the office of an elder by Pastor Robert Campbell and ordained to that office by Joseph Roath, President of the Kilmarnock conference and to take charge of the Saints in New Cumnock and Kirkconale, being at this time living in New Cumnock. I lived in New Cumnock for about 10 months, then I was called upon by Pastor Robert Campbell to arise with my family and to leave the land of my birth and go to Great Salt Valley, the gathering place of the Saints at that time. At this, my kindred mocked and tried to laugh me to scorn, saying, cannot your God save you in your birthplace as well as anywhere else. I tried to show them the need of obeying God’s commands but they could not believe that the Lord had spoken to our prophet Joseph Smith. So on the 24th of February, 1854 I along with my wife and 2 sons John and James, left New Cumnock, Ayrshire, Scotland to go to Salt Lake city. Not one of our friends having obeyed the gospel but some of my sisters being friendly thereto. Jane my oldest sister did wish to join the church, but her husband Andrew Penman would not allow her to, but before I left, he was more favorable unto us and he showed me and my family great kindness. As I had not enough money to emigrate my family, the Perpetual Emigration Funds company offered to keep my family till I would go myself and then send for them, but this I refused. Some of my sisters were very kind in giving us clothing and other articles that were of some use to us. Yes, all my sisters but Isabella, and she and her husband came to us a day before we left but did not give us 1 cents worth of anything, but tried to hinder us all they could in their zeal as they thought. But to return to our journey. We left Cumnock and went by the railway train to Glasgow and there met with many of the Scot saints who were going with us. There we met Robert Campbell who was going to return to the valley of the Salt Lake after a mission of about 4 years. He conducted us to Liverpool by way of a steam packet, where we were under the protection of Samuel W. Richards, brother to Franklin D. Richards, one of the Twelve Apostles, he being at that time, agent for all the affairs of the church in Great Britain. Here, I met by brother Alexander, he having traveled about 2 hundred miles to see me and my family before we went off. And to me, my wife and children, he administered many things that were much use to us in our journey and for which the Lord may bless him for his kindness. He then lived in Dudley, Worchestershire, England, but he would not allow me to preach him the gospel as we had been taught, so we bid farewell to each other. We soon repaired to the ship named John H. Wood in which we were to sail to New Orleans, America. Brother Robert Campbell was appointed by Brother Richards to take charge of the saints across the sea, all of the passengers being saints, their being about 4 hundred on board the ship besides the crew. There was a portion of the ship or the people of the ship, given into my charge while crossing the deep and we were blessed with health and peace while crossing the sea. We left Bramely Moor Docks on the 12th of March, 1854 and were hauled out by a tug steamer which returned. Soon after, we encountered a heavy sea and we were tossed up and down in the Irish Channel for 4 days and then we got clear and had a good time of it. My little son James being sick all the time with hooping cough and teething, the sea sickness began to be too heavy for him and he began to sink and get weak. My wife too at this time was very seasick. On the morning of 23rd of March 1854 his spirit took its leave of its little clay tenement while lying in his mother’s arms. This was a sharp trial for her and myself. This was the first on the voyage that had died and the first I had seen to be committed to a watery grave. James S. Todd, age 15 ½ month, died March 23rd, 1854 at a quarter before 5 a.m. and was buried in the waves of the sea the same day at 12 o’clock noon at latitude North 39°54 and 23°16 longitude West. Thus we were as parents, called upon to part with one of our offspring and commit him to a watery tomb, there to await the resurrection morn and may we be faithful to again receive his little embrace and rejoice with him and our offspring which our Father has given in our charge. There were 4 children and 2 females died on this voyage before we got to New Orleans. We were about 8 weeks in crossing the sea. We got a steamer and went to St Louis where we changed steamers and got to Kansas where we landed from water travel. Going up these rivers, we lost many of our brethren and sisters by cholera and other diseases, but by the goodness of God I was still spared with my wife and son to live with them. At this time we prepared to start on a land journey of 1200 miles with teams with 10 persons to a wagon plus our provisions and luggage. 100 lbs. of luggage was allowed to each person over 8 years of age and 50 lbs to those under. At this place, I was appointed to take charge of 10 wagons across the plains. Each wagon had two yoke of oxen and one yoke of cows. Each wagon had 10 hundred pounds of flower, l hundred and fifty pounds of pork, 50 pounds of sugar, 3 pounds of tea, 25 pounds of beans and 25 pounds of rice. So we started on the 2nd of July 1854 with Brother Danile Carnes as our leader across the plains and had a good journey all the way and landed on the 1st of October (Sunday) in Great Salt Lake City where I much rejoiced to be with my wife and son, all in good health. After I arrived in the valley, I agreed with Brother Levi Savage Sr. to stay one year and work his oxen and land shares. I planted and sowed 9 ½ acres of wheat which in the spring looked good but in this year of 1855, the leaf hoppers came to eat up everything that was green. One piece of wheat was eaten off and not 1 stalk was left on 2 ½ acres. The other 7 acres, after much driving off of the grass hoppers, we succeeded in saving a little of it. My wife and I pulled wheat for 15 ½ days for each of us, for I could not cradle it so we had to pull it. After razing ½ of it I got for my part, 19 ½ bushels of wheat. I paid 2 bushels for my tithing. It cost me a great deal but it was a great worth to me as wheat was very scarce and many came and had to dig roots before harvest and I had to go, amongst others. I got 49 bushels of potatoes and about 18 bushels of corn. One evening when I got home with a load of corn, I was taken with cholera and was unable to do anything for a number of weeks. In the course of this summer, I got my emigration bill paid off. I bought ½ acre of land in the 6th ward and paid 45 dollars for it. I rented a house of Benjamin Waldon for 1 year for 73 dollars with ¾ of a lot to it. On 8 Nov, 1856 I along with my wife had the privilege of going into the House of the Lord and receiving our endowments as had been promised unto us while in our native land. We were sealed at the same time by Jeddediah Morgan Grand with a goodly number of our Brethren and Sisters from the 6th ward. The same day, I was ordained into the Quorum of the Seventies in the house of Dr. Ezra Williams under the hands of President Rockwood, Darwin Richardson, Edmund Elsworth, Ezra Williams and Joseph A. Young, President Young being the mouth. In this same year we were called as a people by President Brigham Young to repent of our sins, reform our lives and seek forgiveness at the hands of our Heavenly Father by going into the waters of baptism. On the 14th day of March 1857, I was rebaptized by William Fausett of the 6th Ward and reconfirmed by John McDonald of the 13th ward at the waters side. And I was called upon to help rebaptize my brethren of the 6th ward which with pleasure I did. My wife was rebaptized at the same time and place in Mill Creek by Henry Holmes of the 5th ward and confirmed by him on the same day. In the year 1856, our son Thomas was born on the 18th of February and blessed by bishop William Hickenlooper and his council. He was blessed by William M. Wall and blest by Thomas Todd Sr. with all the blessings of the faithful and to do a great work in this generation. In the fall of 1857, I got a cow from Franklin Richards. This was the first cow I ever owned and I sold bed clothes to obtain her and paid $40.00 for her. Soon after this, I was called upon with many of my brethren to go and defend the interests of the Kingdom of God as the United States soldiers were on their way to destroy both our leader and us and I was determined to die rather than to submit to them. So I along with hundreds of my brethren remained in Ecoi Kenion (Echo Canyon) for many weeks. I was out for 65 days, the greater part of the time, exposed to snow and frost but by the blessings of my Heavenly Father, I never so much as caught a cold. We built a great many batteries the time we was out, so that we could protect ourselves against our enemies, but the fear of the Lord and the people fell upon them so that they darst not march against us and then most of us was permitted to return to our families while our enemies was camped in the snow at Fort Bridger, about 113 miles from Great Salt Lake City and there they remained all winter with officers, civil and military, for they had their civil officers along with them. But we wished to have our own officers and the man to be our governor who was President of our church, namely Brigham Young. On the 31st of March 1858 I was again called out to Ecoi Kenion (Echo Canyon) to take charge of the first 50 of that battalion, for we had been organized according to the ancient order of tens, fifties, hundreds, so the first place I filled was captain of a 10, the lst 10 of the 2nd fifty in Major Jonathan Pugmires Battalion. I was again out about 4 weeks. While I was gone, my family was moved south, as the President had given orders for all to move south from 40 to 100 miles, so my family was moved 60 miles while I was in the mountains. Brother Brigham said he would lay the city of Salt Lake into ashes rather than suffer our enemies to engage our habitations, to which all the people said Amen. At this time, the would be new governor came into our midst to know the minds of the people, which he very soon did although some were willing to turn away as one said, they went out from us for they were not of us. When I returned from the mountains, I found my family at Spanish Fork in the house of James Laird, formerly a traveling elder in my native land. He had crossed the plains with his family in a handcart. In this same year, brother James Steel, who preached the gospel to me first, died of hunger and fatigue within about 9 hundred miles of the valley while bringing his family with a handcart. This pained my heart to hear of his fall, but he died in trying to do the will of his master. He died faithful and now awaits a glorious resurrection. I bought a city lot in Spanish Fork for $10.50 and built 2 rooms on it. In the fall, the people were permitted to return to their homes and the soldiers were permitted to come into the valley of the Great Salt Lake and they built a Fort in Cedar Valley. I staid all winter in Spanish Fork and in the month of December 1858, 22nd of the month at 8 o’clock (Thursday) evening, my wife was delivered of a fine daughter weighing 10 ½ lbs. (Margaret) May my father bless her while she lives upon this earth and prepare her for a more exalted state after this probation. On account of the Bishop not being very well, she was not blessed by him till the 19th of Feb 1859. She was blessed by John L. Butler of Spanish Fork City, blessed with a peaceable and quiet spirit and with long life with a good companion which would walk before the Lord in righteousness. She would love to adorn her habitation with the works of her hand and with needlework and of making cloth from the raw material. At this time we were counciled to get our naturalization papers, so I along with many others went to Provo and obtained my first paper on the 15th of March 1859. Previous to this time I had been called to act as a teacher in the Quorum of Seventies and I tried to magnify my callings and priesthood by my teachings. About this time, a good many fell away from the church and went their own way while the true Saints of God rejoiced. In the summer and fall of 1859, I remained at Spanish Fork. At Conference, I borrowed 55 dollars in cash to purchase a wagon which I bought on the 8th of October for 65 dollars in cash from Charles Woodward, 2nd Ward Salt Lake City. This was the first wagon I ever owned which I was very proud of and felt to thank the Lord for it. I hope the Lord will bless me so that I can get out of this debt and restore with gratitude, all the borrowed money to Nathaniel Bell and I feel to bless him for his kindness to me. On the 6th of November 1859 my son John was baptized by Wm. Robinson, first counselor to John Berry of Spanish Fork, by the laying on of hands by John Berry, William Robison, William Somerville and myself. I, his father, being called to be the mouth, blest with the spirit of God to be with him from his youth and to lead him in the ways of truth that he may be a blessing to his parents and in due time of the Lords testimony to the knowledge of truth and if faithful to be blest with the blessings of the faithful. On the 19th of November, Sister Clotworthy and family left Spanish Fork and went to Provo Valley. (Heber Valley) James Laird took his family to the same place about 10 days before this time. In the spring of 1860, I sold my place in Spanish Fork for one hundred dollars to Thos Foot, to be paid in grain in 2 years at 1 ½ dollars per bushel. So on the 4th of May, I left Spanish Fork with my family and moved to Provo Valley, (Heber Valley) where I had previous to this time taken up some land and fenced it and put in 5 or 6 acres of wheat. In this year, I raised 82 ½ bushels of wheat and about 60 bushels of potatoes. I built me a cellar and then a log house 12 feet by 14. In this year, we built a good schoolhouse for meeting purposes and teaching children. It was done by donations. The name of this place is called Heber City. There are many events transpiring in the organizing of this place which I will pass over. This brings me to the close of the year 1860 and my family is blest with health and I am blest with peace and happiness in my habitation. On the 19th of March 1861, (Wednesday) my wife was delivered of a fine daughter and on the 11th or April (fast day) she was blest and I, being called upon by brother John M Murdock was mouth, named her Marrion Jane Todd, blest with good health and to be spared to womanhood to live to be useful in the kingdom of God. On the 14th (Sunday) of April 1861, my oldest son John died and so awfully sudden was death that though he was close to my side, he never spoke a word to me, he being sitting on his knees, fell forward on his face and breathed his last without a struggle. His trouble not any person knew. This was a sore trial to his mother and myself. He was beloved by all who knew him, he was obedient and loving son. His body was entered in Heber City burying grounds (Wasatch County), there to await the resurrection of the Just. Death I hope to see the time when you shall not have power to bereave me but when I and my family shall bloom with immortality beyond the grave. It was on this day also, the 14th of April 1861 that the American Union was broken up and Fort Sumpter surrendered unto the confederate army. In the fall of this year, the military was organized in this place. I was appointed Captain of the first fifty under Major John Wesley Witt. On the 19th of August, there was a meeting of the High Priests called by John Young, President of the high priest quorum and there was branch quorum of high priests organized. Elisha Everett was called upon to preside over the quorum. At this meeting I was called to the high priesthood ordained under the hands of John M. Murdock, Elisha Everrett and William M. Wall. Elder Wall being the spokesman. The first meeting after this I was called upon to act as first counselor to brother Everett, brother John Jordan as second counselor. In this year the Lord has blest us in this place for the land has brought us good crops. This year I raised 190 bushels of wheat, 35 of oats, 180 of Potatoes, 10 of carrots, 20 of beets, with some garden seed. The fall of this year I bought a mare colt from John Hamilton for 30 bushels of wheat. This brings me to the close of 1861 In January 1862 at the legislature, they granted unto us a county organization in this and called it Wasatch. John W. Witt was appointed probate Judge and James McNaughton notary public. On the 29th of January, there was a State Convention held in Salt Lake City to solicit Congress to grant us a state organization. At this time I was called upon to fill the office of Selectman in this court. In the fall of this year, President Everett left us and went to the cotton farms and John M. Murdock was appointed to fill his place in the quorum while I and brother Jordan were held in our place as counselors. In this year I raised of wheat 117 bushels, of barley 19, of oats 80, of potatoes 50. This brings us to the close of 1862 and the American war is raging with violence fulfilling the predictions of Joseph the Prophet. On March 17 1863 my wife gave birth to a fine girl and mother and daughter are doing well for which I am blest at this time. Our other 3 children have the whooping cough but are moderate. On the night of the 25th of February 1863, I dreamed of being in the company of Brother Brigham Young and some others. He gave me instructions and told me 7 years from that day, an angel would visit me and instruct me. On Thursday April 2 1863 our daughter was blest by John M. Murdock and myself, I being the spokesman, named her Isabella Helen, blest with the blessings of health and peace upon the earth. Soon after this, our president Wm. Wall came to live with us and on the 17th of May, he along with the Bishop ordered sacrament to be administered in this place for the first time. On the 1st of May, I finished my seeding of grain and potatoes. I will say here that I claim 40 acres of land in the field namely lot 20A in block 41, the south 10 acres, half of lot 5 in block 11, the southeast 5 acres on lot 7 block 18 and the southwest 5 acres on lot 1. Agnes Montgomerie came to live with us as hired girl for 1 dollar per week with housing and board, one half to be paid in clothing and shoes and the other half in grain. She came to live with us on the 15th of April 1863. This year after I had my crop into the ground, I let it out to John Henderson to water and harvest for one third. I had for my share of the crops, 134 bushels of wheat, 100 of potatoes and 64 of oats. In the fall of this year I moved on to my city lot. There is nothing particular that has transpired this season with us. I and my wife and family are in good heath for which I do feel thankful. This bring us to the close of 1863. My youngest brother Adam died on the 25th of March 1864 and was buried beside my father, mother and brother James in the Penpont, Scotland churchyard. On the 5th of June 1864 our son Thomas was baptized into the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by Wm. M. Wall and confirmed by me his father. Blest with all the blessing of the faithful. There is nothing particular that has transpired in my family but we are blest with peace and plenty. On the morning of the 1st of March 1865 my wife had a fine daughter and she and mother are both well. On the 9th of April 1865 I put my sheep into Zemiro Palmers herd, 18 ewes, 5 wethers and 1 buck, also 15 lambs, in all, 39 sheep. On Sunday April 23rd, our little girl was blest and named Sarah Ann. Named after my youngest sister and the sister of John Murdock. Nothing of importance transpired in my family for a number of months. In the fall of 1866, sister Mary Murdock and 3 children came from the old country and landed in Salt Lake City. On the 8th of October 1866, I brought her home to her brother John’s in Heber City with her 3 children, namely Mary, Andrew and Alexander. She stayed with her brother till the latter end November. On the 27th of November 1866, I went and baptized Mary Murdock and her daughter Mary Mair, also my daughter Margaret Todd and in the evening I confirmed Mary Murdock and John Murdock and I confirmed Mary Mair and Margaret Todd. And on the 1st of December 1866 I went into the city along with Mary Murdock and she was sealed to me. Mary Murdock’s Genealogy: Mary Murdock, daughter of James and Mary Murray Murdock, born at Grafswater, parish of Auchenleck, Ayreshire County, Scotland on the 23rd of November 1819. Mary Mair, daughter of Allen Mair and Mary Murdock, born at Carbellow Parish, Auchenleck on the 1st day of August 1852 (baptized June 4 1851). Andrew Mair, son of Allen Mair and Mary Murdock, born at Carbellow on the 17th of February 1856. Alexander Mair, son of Allen Mair and Mary Murdock, born at the stables in Auchenleck on the 18th of February 1859. So on the 7th of December 1866, Mary and her 3 children came to live with us. This brings us to the close of 1866. On the morning of Wednesday 13th of February 1867, at 3 o’clock a.m., my wife Margaret was delivered of a fine son and he along with his mother are doing fine. In February 1877, he was blest by John M. Murdock and named John Murray Murdock Todd. On the 30th of June 1867, Andrew and Alexander Mair was baptized by John Jordan. Andrew was confirmed by John Horrocks and Alexander was confirmed by Henry McMullin on the same day, July 26th 1867. At the fall conference of 1867, our Bishop J. S. Murdock was called to go south to the cotton country. Brother Abraham Hatch of Lehi was called to fill his place, so on the 12th of December 1867, he and his family landed in Heber City. On the 8th of December 1867, our son John Murray Murdock Todd died, his complaint was blood flux and teething. He was buried the same day. In the fall of this year, I built a log house for Mary Murdock and she got into it on the 19th of December 1867. According to the census taken by the teachers, there is in Heber City on the 28th day of February 1868, heads of families men 96, wives 150, male children and young men 267, female children and young women 254 and 7 widows and 8 men without wives, total in Heber City of 782. There are at this time 3 gentile families in Heber City and 2 single men. On the evening of Friday the 4th of December 1868 at 7 o’clock my wife Margaret was delivered of a fine boy weighing about 11 ¾ lbs. And on the 7th of February our son was blest and named by the priesthood under the direction of Bishop A. Hatch. I being mouth and spokesman named him David Alexander Todd blest with the blessings of the faithful in the gospel and to do good work on the earth in his day and generation and his parents to be blessed to bring him up in righteousness before the Lord. May our Father grant him and us the wisdom to do so is my desire in the name of Jesus, I ask it, Amen. On the 5th of September 1869 Marrion Jane Todd was baptized by James Duke and confirmed by the waterside by Henry McMullin blest with health and strength and to live to be a mother in Israel and blest with all the blessings of the faithful in the gospel. An account of my tithing in 1869: paid 16 lbs. of butter, 8 ½ lbs. of cheese, 2 dozen eggs, 2 1/1 lbs. of rolls, 28 cwts of hay, 5 bushel of oats, 24 bushel of wheat, 7 sheep, 32 bushel of potatoes, 5 bushel of beets and ½ bushel of onions. Heber City December 28th 1869, William Aird has woven me 3 pieces of cloth this autumn, and we have settled up and he stands in my debt ten dollars. An account of sheep delivered to John M. Murdock to be herded April 11 1870: nine white ewes, six white wethers, three black ewes, one black ewe lamb, two white ewe lambs, seven white wether lambs and one black wether lamb. This year our wheat and oat crop was eaten by the grasshoppers. I raised 50 bushel of peas and 80 bushel of potatoes. Heber City November 14th 1870, my second wife Mary Murdock, having contention with me for three years, our bishop Abraham Hatch with President Brigham Young thought it proper that she should have a bill of divorcement which was given on the above date at Heber City. The Bishop requested of me to give her of my property: 1 cow, 2 sheep, 10 cords of wood, 10 hundred lbs. of flour, 20 bushels of potatoes, a house and lot and household furniture with cooking utensils. I also paid her emigration from Scotland to this place, namely 92 dollars and 82 cents. The above is all paid according to the council of Bishop Hatch. This year my tithing is small, 8 bushels of potatoes and 5 bushels of peas. In 1871, Wm. Wright took my sheep to herd, namely 20 old sheep and 18 lambs. On the 6th of August 1871 our daughter Isabella Helen was baptized by Joseph Molton and confirmed by Thomas Todd her father, blest with long life and with all the blessings of the faithful. This year I raised 383 bushels of wheat, 33 bushels oats and 100 bushels of potatoes. I paid my tithing of 29 bushels of wheat, 33 bushels oats and 100 bushels of potatoes Heber City March 14th 1872, I delivered to Wm. Wright 20 old sheep and 11 lambs to be herded for the season and on the 30th of March, we took 1 mare colt branded on the right shoulder, to be herded likewise. Heber City November 1872, I along with my wife and six children started for Salt Lake City to attend the baptisms for some of our friends in the House of the Lord, and to have our likeness taken which latter we got taken on the 8th. On the 6th of November 1872, I was baptized by Samuel Smith of Salt Lake City and confirmed by Joseph F. Smith, one of the Twelve Apostles on behalf of my Father John Todd and my Grandfather John Todd and my brothers James, William and Adam. And also my Mother’s Father, James Lorimer of Wanlockhead, Dumfrieshire, Scotland. At the same time and place, my daughter Margaret Todd was baptized and confirmed by the aforesaid brethren for my Mother Marrion Lorimer and Sarah Todd. Also for Hellen Wilson my Father’s Mother and also for my Wife’s sister Mary Shankland of Durrisdeer, Dumfries County, Scotland. Also for her Father’s Mother Margaret Gillies and for her Mother’s Mother Mary Walker of Penpont, Dumfries County, Scotland. And also for my Mother’s Mother Jane French. Also my son Thomas Todd Junior at the time and place and the aforesaid officiating was baptized for my Wife’s Father James Shankland and her Brother James Shankland Junior and also for my wife’s Mother’s Father Robert Kimmon of Penpont. And on the 7th of November, Thomas Todd Senior and Margaret Shankland, my wife attended to the ordinance of sealing in behalf of my Father and Mother, who are dead, John Todd and Marrion Lorimer. Also in behalf of Father’s Father and Father’s Mother, John Todd and Hellen Wilson. Also in behalf of my Mother’s Father and Mother, James Lorimer and Jane French. Also in behalf of my wife’s Mother’s Father and Mother, Robert Kimmon and Mary Walker. Also in behalf of my wife’s Father’s Father and Mother, John Shankland and Margaret Gillis I also had my wife’s Sister, Mary Shankland sealed to me. These were sealed to each other in the House of the Lord through us, Daniel H. Wells officiating at the Alter. I hope to continue on this great work when the opportunity offers itself to me. On October 11th 1873 I along with my Margaret went into the Temple in salt Lake city and received our Second anointing and had our two sons, John and James adopted to us who were born in Scotland John was baptized by William Robinson of Spanish Fork and confirmed by his father on the 13th of November 1859 and died 14 April 1861. Alexander Todd born at Auchenbenzie, Penpont Parish, Dumfries County, Scotland on 27 May 1819, and died at Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England on Monday 8 February 1897. I have neglected a great many things to note them down. On the 3rd of October 1875, I was rebaptized according to the Rules of the United Order, at Heber City by Elisha Jones and reconfirmed by John Jordon. And on Sept 2nd 1876, I rebaptized by wife Margaret and four children, namely, Margaret, Marrion Jane, Isabella Hellen, and Sarah Ann and reconfirmed them at the waterside. On the 15th of July, my son Thomas Todd Junior was rebaptized by Samuel Wing and reconfirmed by Thomas Todd Senior. (Note: It is not known from the diary why Alexander Todd’s birth and death were inserted in third sentence of the last paragraph.) At the reorganization of the Church on the 15th of July 1877, I was called upon and set apart by John and Franklin D. Richards of the Twelve apostles to preside over the first Quorum of Elders in the Wasatch Stake of Zion. David Alexander Todd was baptized into the Church at Heber City, Wasatch County, Sept 23rd by Thomas Todd Senior. At the same place Thomas Todd Junior was ordained to the office of an Elder Dec 12 1880 by Thomas Todd Senior. Thomas Todd Junior and Harriet Richardson, daughter of William Richardson and Ann Fotheringham of Center Ward, Wasatch County, were married in the Endowment House Dec 16th 1880. On the 10th of June 1880 my sister Isabella with her husband William McCaw left and sailed from Glasgow with nine of their children, landing in Wellington, New Zealand on the 13th of Sept the same year. Heber City October 6th 1879, I bought of William P. Renolds, 13 acres of land upon his homestead and paid him at that time 55 dollars and a mare. On the 11th of Oct I paid 20 dollars and on the 25th of Oct I paid him 60 dollars more. Heber City October 8th 1879 I bought of David Walker of Salt Lake City, a block of land in William Renolds homestead in Heber City and paid him one hundred dollars for the same. In the spring of 1899, our President and Prophet Lorenzo Snow commenced at St. George and visited most Stakes of Zion and taught us fully the Law of Tithing and required us fully to observe this law and laid before us the consequences of its nonobservance. I have always been a tithe payer but this year I thought I ought to renew by diligence. This year I paid a full tithing of all my produce and 16 dollars in money amounting in all to thirty five dollars and 70 cents. I have never handled much money but it has been mostly in produce. On the 18th of June 1895, Margaret Todd Murdock in Salt Lake City was baptized in behalf of my sister Jane Todd Penman, born in Penpoint, Dumfries County, 18 August 1814. Also for Marrion Todd Scott, born in Penpont, Dumfries County, 2 Nov 1829, and for Helen Todd Lorimer, born in Penpont, Dumfries County 27 Nov 1824, and for Sarah Todd Gibson, born in Glencairn, Dumfries County about 1792, and for Hellen Todd, born in Glencairn, Dunfries about 1790, died single, and for Mary Todd, born in Penpont about 1841, died single, and for Fanney Spiken, born in Lincoln County, England about 1816, died about 1848 in Gainsbora, Yorkshire, England and wife of John Todd, also Mary Wallace Todd, wife of Adam Todd, born in Tynron, Dumfries County about 1818, also Fanny Todd, John Todd’s daughter, born about 1847 in Gainsboro, and Mrs. Margaret Shankland Todd, wife of John Shankland, born about 1795, Dumfries. On June 18th, my Granddaughter, Hattie Todd was baptized in behalf of the following: Jane Lorimer Milligan, born in Wanlockhead, Dumfries about 1782. Isabel Lorimer, born in Wanlockhead, Dumfries about 1785, wife of John Wilson. Jannet Arthur wife of John Laing, Kirkconnel, born about 1792. Betsy Lee wife of William Arthur of Kirkconnel, Dumfries, born about 1792. Also at the same time and place Bessie Murdock, granddaughter was baptized in behalf of Jane Hyslop Shankland, wife of John Shankland, born in Durrisdeer about 1792. Also Isabell Shankland McMillen, born in Durrisdeer about 1795. Also Barbara Hyslop Shankland, born in Durrisdeer about 1796, wife of Robert Shankland. On the 19th of June 1895, I was ordained in behalf of my grandfather John Todd, ordained by William Dunbar. On the 20th of June I was ordained in behalf of my father John Todd by William Dunbar. On the 21st of June I was ordained in behalf of Andrew Penman and for the aforesaid I was also endowed for them. My daughter Margaret also on the several days was endowed in behalf of each of their wives, also in behalf of Penman’s wife. The other two were sealed to their wives on Nov 7 1872. On the 19th of June, I Thomas ordained and endowed in behalf of my Mother’s Father, James Lorimer, ordained by William Dunbar and on 20 June he was ordained and endowed in behalf of John Shankland, my wife’s Grandfather. On 21 June he was ordained and endowed in behalf of Robert Kimmon, my wife’s Grandfather on her Mother’s side, ordained by William Dunbar. The wives of the above were sealed to their husbands on 7 Nov 1872. My daughter acting then in their sealing and Ada Evans of the 6th Ward Salt Lake City acting in their endowments. Heber City January 20th 1898 – For the sake of myself and friends, I will endeavor to note down a few items of my early life and Genealogy of former friends that I wish to be recorded hereafter. I, Thomas Todd, the 5th son of John Todd and Marrion Lorimer. My grandfather was John Todd and grandmother Hellen Wilson, born in Glencairn. My father John Todd was born in Glencairn, Dumfries, Scotland. He died 18 October 1849. My mother Marrion Lorimer was born at Wanlockhead, Dumfries, Scotland. She died March1852. Married June 1812 My father had no brothers that I knew of. He had 2 sisters, Hellen died about the age of 20 and Sarah, married to Alexander Gibson of Glencairn. Alexander died about 1840 and Sarah died about 1845 and was an invalid for many years with spinal trouble. They had no children. My oldest brother John Todd was born at Honeyhole, Penpont Parish, Dumfries, Scotland in the same house where all of us was born, namely 6 sons and 5 daughters. He was born 6 June 1813 and died 6 July 1880. He was married to Fanny Spikens. She died about 1845 and they had 2 children, John and William who died in infancy. Fanny their mother was born in Lincoln County and died in Gainsboro, Yorkshire, England. Jane Todd was born at Honeyhole, Dumfries, Scotland August 18 1814, died 27 February 1893, married to Andrew Penman born in Leadhill, Lanarkshire, died Burnsands, Durrisdeer, Dumfries 5 March 1857 at age 46. Their children: John Penman born 21 Mar 1839 , James Penman born 25 May 1841, Jannet Penman born 27 August 1843, Marrion Penman born 7 February 1846, Jane Penman born 4 April 1848 and died 12 April 1870, Elizabeth Penman born 11 August 1850 and died 22 January 1874 at age 23 yrs, Andrew Penman Jr. born 8 January 1853, Hellen Penman born 21 April 1856. These children were all born at Burnsands, Durrisdeer, Dumfries, Scotland. James Todd my brother born at Auchenbenzie, Dumfries, Scotland on 8 April 1816 and died single in November 1847. William Todd born at Auchenbenzie 25 October 1817 and died 9 August 1842, drowned near Dudley, Worchester, England while bathing, died single. Alexander Todd born at Auchenbenzie 27 March 1818 and died at Chesterfield, Derby county, England 8 February 1897. His wife’s name was Catharine McMillen born about 1817 at Strahana Parish, Glencairn, Dumfries. She died 4 June 1870. Her father was John McMillen and her mother was Catharine Cochrane. Alexander and wife had 5 children, 3 boys and 2 girls. John and William died in 1854 while young. Alexander, Marrion and Catherine lived in Chesterfield, Derby County, England. I, Thomas Todd, was born at Auchenbenzie, Penpont, Dumfries, Scotland, 28 Jan 1821. My wife’s name is Margaret Shankland born at Mayshill, Durrisdeer Parish 12 November 1826. We were married 25 January 1850. Her father’s name was James Shankland and her Mother was Margaret Kimmon. She had 4 brothers and 2 sisters, John, Robert, James, Thomas, Mary and Isabell. Adam my youngest brother, was born at Auchenbenzie 3 February 1823 and died 25 March 1864. His wife’s name was Mary Wallace of Tynron Parish, Dumfries, died about 1880 Their 1st son John died in Glasgow. John left a widow and some children in Glasgow and 1 daughter Mary died in maidenhood. My sister Hellen born at Auchenbenzie 27 November 1824, married to Andrew Lorimer and died 22 July 1884. Andrew was born about 1820 in Scotland. My sister Isabell born at Auchenbenzie 5 July 1827, married William McCaw of Tynron Parish on 5 Jun 1849. William was born on 10 Sep 1818. They had 13 children and went to New Zealand with 9 of their family. Marrion Todd, my sister, born at Auchenbenzie 2 November 1829 and died 20 February 1885. She married William Rogerson Scott of Tinwald Parish, Dumfries, and went to England. William Scott was born 20 August 1817 at Carse A E Tinwald, Dumfries. Their children were: Mary born 19 June 1854, Jane born 21 March 1856 and died 12 Mar 1857. Mary and Jane were born in England. William Scott’s parents were David Scott and Mary Coran, all of Dumfries. Sarah, my youngest sister, was born 17 June 1833 at Auchenbenzie in the same house where all my brothers and sisters were born. She was married to James Hamilton went to England. She had 1 son and she died 9 February 1867 My mother’s father was James Lorimer of Wanlockhead, Dumfries, Scotland. Mother’s mother was Jane French from Dumfries County. They had quite a large family of sons and daughters. John , died at Wanlockhead in youth, William, Adam, George, James, Thomas, died about 1828 unmarried. Their sisters were Jane, Marrion and Isabell. Jane was married to James Milligan of Dunscore, Dumfries. Their children were James, Thomas, Jacob and Jane. Marrion was my mother. Isabell was married to John Wilson of Thornhill, a widower. She had no children and died 7 Jan 1885. Her husband died about 1880. Margaret Shankland Todd’s father was James Shankland born in Durrisdeer Parish, Dumfries, about 1793 and died about 1849. His wife was Margaret Cummin born about 1796 in Penpont Parish, Dumfries, died 7 Jan 1873 at age 77. They had a large family of sons and daughters. Their children were: John born about 1817; died 29 June 1878 at age 61 and unmarried; Mary born about 1819, died August 1849; Robert born 1821, died 17 Sept 1886, Robert’s wife was Jane Marchbank of Moffat, Dumfries; William born about 1824, died while young; another son not named, died in infancy; James born about 1828 and died June 1849; Thomas born about 1830; Isabell born about 1833 and married to Thomas Tate; Margaret, my wife born 12 Nov 1826. My wife’s grandfather Robert Cummin born about 1776 in Penpont and her grandmother Mary Walker born in Penpont about 1778. John Shankland, oldest brother of James Shankland born about 188_ in Durrisdeer. His wife Jane Hyslop and he had 2 sons, John and Robert and lived in Thornhill. Robert Shankland, James youngest brother was born about 1798. His wife was Barbara Hyslop. He died in 1849 and has no family. Their sister Bell married Thomas McMillan, from Enterinfoot, Durrisdeer . James Cummin, brother to Margaret Cummin was born at Penpont, Wentgallshield.A BRIEF SKETCH OF EVENTS IN THE LIFE OF THOMAS TODD SR WRITTEN BY HIMSELF I, Thomas Todd Sr. will note down a few items of my past life. I was born in the year of 1821, January 28. My parents were John Todd and Marion Lorrimer. My father was a very pious man and well living man according to the light he had. He belonged to the Relief Presbyterian Church, being an Elder thereof for over thirty years. I was also a member of the same church for some time in my youth. I was very much exercised about by hereafter, and believed in a God and a future state of existence. I called fervently on that God that I had full confidence in, for I was a great Bible reader and had committed a great deal of it to memory. I became dissatisfied with my former beliefs and also those of my fathers. I had become a member of their church and partaken of the Lord’s supper with them. I had asked some questions that were not answered to my satisfaction by our minister. I said to my father and his minister, “You may take your road but I must take mine” and in this unsettled state I remained until the Latter-day Saints found me. My father had been dead for eight months. I was the engaged a farm servant by the year. A former companion of mine by the name of James Steel had gone to England and there he had become a Latter-day Saint. He came to our house and I had a long argument with him. But he left with me no room to stand on. So he left and went back to England, and I was left alone for there were no Mormons in the country I lived in. But I was not left alone for the Spirit of the Lord strove with me and I was led by an unseen power. Until one morning as I got out of bed a voice in by hearing said, “The Holy Ghost is given by the laying on of hands.” And the following morning a voice also said, “The gift of healing is given by the laying on of hands.” This was in Dumfries County, Scotland. I learned there was a small branch of the church in Ayrshire, sixteen miles from where I lived. I resolved to pay them a visit. So on the morning of the 15th of September, 1850, I along with John M. Murdock, brother-in-law to James Steel, went toLugar Iron Works by Cumnock, Ayrshire. Our meeting was a very agreeable affair. At the end of the meeting I asked for baptism, and I was the buried in the dear stream of Lugar and confirmed by the water’s edge. But John Murdock could not see me baptized but went to one side. I was baptized by Peter Robinson and confirmed by James Adamson. John Murdock went to his mother’s that evening as she was living in the part of the country and I went along. This was in the middle of our harvest. I with two of my fellow servants, was cradling oats, along with some other men and women. While we were whetting of scythes, my master says to me, "Thomas, do you believe in inspiration in the present day?" My master tried to understand me, but the Holy Ghost rested upon me at that time to that degree that they were amazed at me, and I did then know that the Holy Ghost was given by the laying on of hands. When I was baptized I was promised that two of the elders would visit me in two weeks from that day which was Sunday. The president of the branch, Thomas Heatly, and Isaac Wilson came as promised and baptized my wife, and John H. Murdock and his wife who was a sister of James Steel. I was then living at the Barr farm near Sanghar, and they lived in Kirkconnell. We are all four now living in Heber City. My parents had six sons and five daughters, all grown to man and womanhood before there was a death in the family. I was the fifth son. There were five older children and five children younger than myself. Now, there is just one younger sister left. There were none of my relations or of my wife’s relatives that ever embraced the gospel up to this time, 1898. I am no past seventy years of age. My brothers and were John, James, Jane, William Alexander, myself, Thomas, Adam, Hellen, Isabell, Marion and Sarah On the 25th of January, 1850 I was Married to Margaret Shankland. On the 15th of September that same year, I was baptized. On the first of December 1850, our first son, John was born. He was blessed by Robert L. Campbell. On the 17th of August, 1851 I was ordained to the office of a priest by Elder John Drennan, under the council of Robert L. Campbell who was presiding over Scotland at this time. There was a small branch of the church raised up in Kirkconnell and Sanhar, and I was called to preside therein. On the fourth of December, 1852 our son, James was born. He was blessed by D. W. Davis. On the second of February, 1852 I was called to the office of an Elder by Brother Campbell and was ordained by Joseph Booth, President of the Kilmarnock Conference. Soon after this I was called by Brother Campbell to prepare with my wife and 2 sons to go to Salt Lake Valley. I was very much respected by Brother Campbell, and he was always very kind to us and we loved him very much. So on the 24th of February 1854, we started for Liverpool by way of Glasgow. Pastor Campbell being our guide from there until we arrived Kansas, America. We crossed the ocean in the shit, John M. Wood. There were about four hundred of the Saints, besides a few other passengers. This was a sailing vessel. Se were over eight weeks on the sea. The ship was divided into wards and I was put in charge of the single men. We left Bromly Moor Docks on the 12th of March, 1854. On Mar 23rd, our son, James S. Todd, died at a quarter before 5:00 a.m. and was buried in the sea, latitude 39° 54 and 23° 16 longitude west. We went by way of New Orleans, thence up the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. There were many of our number died of cholera going up the river to Kansas. At the Kansas camping grounds we prepared for our journey across the plains to Salt Lake City by ox teams. I was called to organize ten wagons with two yoke of oxen and one yoke of cows to each wagon. We had 1,000 pounds of flour, 150 pounds of pork, 50 pounds of sugar, 3 pounds of tea, 25 pounds of rice. Daniel Carns was our captain across the plains. There were three captains of ten wagons each under Captain Carns: myself, McMaster and Lamb. We had a good journey across the plains, with no particular incident along the way. We landed in Salt Lake City on the first of October, 1854. My wife and I and son, John, all in good health. After we landed in Salt Lake City, we located in the sixth ward under Bishop Hickenlooper. He called me to preside over the teachers of the ward. I went to the house of Levi Savage, with my wife and son and took his land and team on shares for a year. In the spring of 1855 I planted but the grasshoppers came and took almost everything and it was a time of almost famine. On the 18th of February, 1956 our son, Thomas was born and he was blessed by Bishop Hickenlooper. On the 7th of February, 1857 I was ordained a seventy in the Third Quorum in the house of Ezra Williams, under the hands of President Rockwood, Darwin Richardson, Edwin Ellsworth and Wm. Joseph Young, he being spokesman In the year 1857 we were called by President Young to repent of our sins and all be rebaptized. On the 14th of March, 1857 I was rebaptized by William Fawcett of the Sixth Ward. I was reconfirmed by John McDonald of the 13th Ward at the water’s edge. I was then sealed upon to help rebaptize all the brethren of the ward. Henry Holmes rebaptized and reconfirmed my wife, Margaret Shankland Todd. In the fall of 1857 I got a cow from Franklin D. Richards and paid $40.00 for her. In the fall of that same year I was called upon with many of my brethren to go to Echo Canyon to waylay Johnson’s army and was out sixty six days exposed to snow and frost. At this time I was under Captain Jonathan Pugmire. On the 31st of March 1858 I was again called to Echo and Lost Station under Harrison Burgess and Daniel McArthur. I was acting as captain of fifty men at this time was out four weeks While I was gone, the people were called to move and leave their homes. When I returned to Salt Lake City I found my wife and children had been moved to Spanish Fork, Utah. On the 22nd of November, 1858 at 8 o’clock, Thursday evening, our daughter, Margaret was born weighing 10 and ½ pounds. She was blessed February 19th 1859 by Bishop John L. Butler of Spanish Fork. On the 15th of March, 1859 I got my naturalization papers. On the 6th of November, 1859 our son, John was baptized by William Robinson, and on the 13th of March was confirmed a member by John Berry, William Robinson, and Thomas Todd Sr., I being the mouth. While in Spanish Fork I acted as teacher in the Seventies Quorum. While in this place I bought a lot and built a small house thereon. In the spring of 1860 I sold my place and on the 4th of May, left Spanish Fork with my wife and two sons and one daughter, one wagon, two oxen, and one cow and landed in Provo the same day. I had previous to this taken some land and fenced it and put in five or six acres of wheat. Our first building was a cellar and then a log room, twelve by fourteen feet. There were but few families in the valley at this time and we called the place Heber City and it still has that name. In this year we united and built a log building for school and meeting purposes. Our leading men were from Provo and our President was William M. Wall. I, along with James Duke was called to act as teachers of the place. In the fall of this year the militia was organized. John W. Witt was appointed the Mayor. I was appointed 1st Captain of Infantry in Company C, having a Captain’s Commission from Governor Durkes. August 19, 1861, President John Young called a meeting and organized a High Priests Quorum. Elisha Averett was called to preside. I was called as his first counselor and John Jordan as second counselor. I was ordained a High Priest at that meeting under the hand of Elisha Averett, John Murdock and William M. Wall, being the spokesman. He was ordained by Heber C. Kimball. In the year 1862 I was called to fill his place as Selectman. I was also called to be Road Supervisor which office I held for many years. In the fall of this year President Averett was called to go south and John M. Murdock was called to fill his place in the Quorum. I and Brother Jordan were retained as counselors. In April our President came to live with us. On the 17th of May, 1863 President Wall and President Murdock ordered the sacrament administered for the first time in this place. In 1865 I was again called to fill the place of selectman. In 1867 Bishop Murdock was called to go south and Abram Hatch was called to fill his place. He came to Heber with his family on the 12th of December, 1867. On the 17th of September, 1871 I was appointed County Road Commissioner, giving bonds therefor. October 1875 I was rebaptized according to the rules of the United Order by Elisha Jones and was reconfirmed by John Jordan. And on September 2, 1877 I rebaptized my wife, Margaret and our daughters, Margaret, Marion Jane, Isabell Helen and Sarah Ann and reconfirmed them as requested. Our son, Thomas was rebaptized by Samuel J. Wing and reconfirmed by Thomas Todd, Sr. At the organization of this state of Zion I was set apart to preside over the 1st Quorum of Elders in the Wasatch Stake and to collect them together from every part of the stake, by John Taylor and Franklin D. Richards. Later I was called to be first counselor to Bishop Rasband until his death. Afterwards I was first counselor to Bishop Duke and remained thus until I resigned on account of infirmities and old age. I will say to all my kindred and friends who may read these lines that I have never doubted the truth of any principle that Joseph Smith has revealed to this generation, including tithing, plural marriage and consecration. And this I do say before all, that I did receive the gift of the Holy Ghost the morning after I was baptized. I, with my wife Margaret, had the privilege of having our second anointing on October 1, 1894 in the Salt Lake Temple. This ends Thomas Todd, Senior’s account of the important events in his life up to about 1898 after which he could not take the active part he formerly did on account of the infirmities of old age. Thomas Todd, Sr. was a very orderly man. He had a place for everything and everything in its place. He was a hard working man, industrious and had little patience with lazy and shiftless people. He was strictly honest and very earnest and sincere in everything he undertook to do. He was Captain of fifty men during the Blackhawk War (Indian) and was a very efficient officer. He held important positions in the church and the county most of the time he lived in Heber, and that was nearly fifty years. After his wife Margaret’s death, he was cared for by his son, David Alexander, and his wife Josephine or Josie, as we all knew her, in his own home, the fine sandstone that was finished in 1879 after taking three years to build. Thomas Todd, Sr, was born on January 28, 1821 at Penpont, Dumfrieshire, Scotland. He died at Heber City, Utah and was buried in the Heber City Cemetery by his wife, Margaret. (This history prepared and presented by the family of David Alexander Todd on August 18, 1957 at a family reunion held at Luke’s Hot Pots.)Thomas Todd Sr. & Margaret Shankland Thomas Todd Sr. was born 28 January 1821 in Penport, Dumfrieshire, Scotland, the son of John Todd and Marion Lorimer. He married Margaret Shankland 25 January on her 25th birthday. They moved to Heber City, Utah in May 1860. Nine children were born to them; John, James, Thomas Jr. Margaret, Marion Jane, Isabelle Helen, Sarah Ann, John X. Murdock, and David Alexander. As he recalled his early childhood, he was most impressed by his parents deep religious convictions, and the love that was in their family for one another. He was reared in an atmosphere of strict adherence to prayer, in promptness, and in orderliness. These characteristics he never deserted. Thomas Todd was a farmer, as was his father, working often as a servant plowman. In his early twenties he began work in public service. He assisted some other young men in establishing a library in the town of Tinwald. In January 1850, he married Margaret Shankland, second daughter of James Shankland and Margaret Cummin of Durrisdeer, Dumfrieshire, Scotland. Thomas and Margaret had much in common in their early training. Both had been taught stern adherence to their religious convictions. Both were trained to be industrious, tr---- meticulously neat and orderly. These virtues characterized their whole lives. The summer after their marriage they accepted the teachings of the Latter Day Saint Church. Four years later, Thomas Todd, his wife Margaret, and two sons sailed from Liverpool, England on the ship “John M. Wood”, landing in New Orleans in eight weeks. From there they took the river boat up the Mississippi River to St. Louis, then on to Kansas where they made preparations to make the 1,200 mile journey by ox cart across the plains. Thomas Todd was appointed to take charge of ten wagons, with ten persons to a wagon. That journey lasted three months, and they reached the Salt Lake Valley on 1 October 1854. Immediately after arriving, he made arrangements with Brother Levi Savage to work on his land for shares. He planted 9 ½ acres of wheat before winter came. The following spring, 1856 his fields looked good, but the grasshoppers came again and destroyed fields far and near. Thomas and Margaret were able to save part of their wheat. They were happy to have their 19 1/2 bushels of wheat. In the fall of 1857 he bought a cow, the first he had ever owned. They sold bedding to raise the $40.00 to pay for it. Shortly after this Thomas Todd was called to Echo Canyon and Lost Station as captain of fifty men. They were away about four months until the end of the Utah War. While he was away his family was moved to Spanish Fork, where he bought a lot for $10.00. Here he built a two-room house. The Todd family made their next and last big move in May 1860, when they went to Heber City in beautiful Provo Canyon. Thomas had previously taken some land and fenced it and planted five or six acres of wheat. It was during the following year that Fort Sumpter was surrendered by the Confederate Army, and as in other communities of our nation, the state militia was organized. John Wesley Witt was appointed major and Thomas Todd was appointed as first captain of the infantry in C company. He served two terms as selectman in 1862 and in 1871. He was appointed road supervisor, a job he held for many years. Later he was made county road commissioner. It was his opportunity, with others, to sign the peace treaty to settle the Indian troubles with “Old Tabby”. Thomas Todd never wavered in his testimony of the gospel. He was always ready to fill his calling in this capacity. In Salt Lake City in the Sixth Ward, he presided over the teachers, and was later ordained a Seventy. In Spanish Fork he was teacher of the Quorum of Seventies, and in Heber was first counselor in the High Priests Quorum. Later acted as first counselor to two bishops. He was a very good singer and conducted the Heber choir for many years. He was very active in public life. One of his greatest achievements was his home, along with his good wife. Thomas and Margaret were the parents of nine children, six growing to be men and women of integrity. Three children died in childhood. They lived in a home of love, understanding, and fairness to each other. Their lovely home, with its beautiful flowers and well-kept garden was their joy. Many a rare plant was nurtured to bloom in their garden and it was there the first rose bushes in Provo Valley were planted. Their home was made attractive with Margaret’s handwork. She was an excellent housekeeper, a wonderful cook, and a gracious hostess. She was an artist in her selections and a perfectionist in her skills, in the home arts of her time. This hard-working couple had little patience with lazy or shiftless people, but were ever ready to help any that came their way. They extended the hand of fellowship to many that needed their blessings. In 1900, they celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary with an open house in their home. Their home was erected of red sandstone and was two stories. It is still standing today and lived in. Margaret Shankland Todd died 21 May 1907 in her eighty-third year and two years later her devoted husband Thomas Todd passed away when he was eighty-eight years of age. He died 5 October 1909. They are both buried in Heber City, Utah. (This history was taken from biographies from the book “How Beautiful Upon the Mountains”, a centennial history of Heber area.)Patriarchal Blessing – Thomas Todd Sr. A Patriarchal Blessing given Provo Valley 19 August 1861 by John Young Patriarch, on the head of Thomas Todd, son of John and Marrion Todd born Dumfries County, Penpont Parish, Scotland, Jan 28, 1821. Bro Thomas I now lay my hand upon your head to bless you even with a fathers blessing and seal upon your head the blessing of the holy gospel which you have embraced in your native land and forsaken all and gathered up with the saints choosing rather to suffer with them than to enjoy the pleasures of the world. You have a great respect unto the recompense of reward, there you shall be blessed from this time hence forth and forever. The spirit of the heavens shall rest upon you and you shall be strengthened. You are a lawful heir to the priesthood which you shall hold a fullness of in the own due time of the Lord. You are a literal descendent of Joseph, one of those that knew the joyful sound and the blessings of the Father shall rest upon your head. You shall have wives and children if you desire it and a numerous posterity upon the mountains of Israel and they shall be blest in their generations, be a blessing to your gathers house and to your fathers and do a good work upon the earth and lay a foundation for a time to come. You shall be clothed with the power of the priesthood and have power to administer in Holy things and to the sick and the afflicted and to do much good in your day and generation. Your name shall be honorable in Israel What you put your hands to shall prosper. Be blest in your fields and in your gardens and your flocks and herds and you shall be useful in your day and generation, be a minister of Salvation. I seal upon you the blessing of health and prosperity and of life to a good old age. If you desire it you can be gathered up to the center stake of Zion. Assist in building up the temple of the Lord and become a preacher of righteousness. Your feet shall stand in sure places, and no enemy shall have power over you but you shall have power over your enemies and be blessed of the Lord. I seal all these blessings upon you together with all things you desire in righteousness and no evil nor accident shall befall you. You shall fill the measure of your creation with usefulness, secure to yourself an everlasting inheritance and your posterity in the new Heavens and Earth. I seal upon you a holy resurrection and say you shall come forth and be numbered among those the great and the good and be a savior upon Mount Zion even unto the House of Esau. All these blessings are yours, therefore, be faithful and humble and diligent in keeping the commandments of the Lord and your path shall shine brighter and brighter even unto the Perfect Day. These blessings I seal upon you according to the Holy order and power of the Priesthood, which binds on earth and binds in Heaven in the name of Jesus, Amen. L. O. Littlefield, Recorder

Life timeline of Robert Lang Campbell

Robert Lang Campbell was born in 1825
Robert Lang Campbell was 6 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Robert Lang Campbell was 15 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Robert Lang Campbell was 34 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
Robert Lang Campbell was 36 years old when American Civil War: Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate forces. The American Civil War was a war fought in the United States from 1861 to 1865. As a result of the long-standing controversy over slavery, war broke out in April 1861, when Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina, shortly after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated. The nationalists of the Union proclaimed loyalty to the U.S. Constitution. They faced secessionists of the Confederate States, who advocated for states' rights to expand slavery.
Robert Lang Campbell died on 11 Apr 1874 at the age of 49
Grave record for Robert Lang Campbell (Died: 11 Apr 1874), BillionGraves Record 36763503 Salt Lake City, Utah, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States