Richard Carl Harris

8 Nov 1914 - 17 Apr 2000


Richard Carl Harris

8 Nov 1914 - 17 Apr 2000
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Richard C. Harris was awarded the Silver Beaver on 30 November 1972. As one can see, he received this award long before his greatest service achievements. The Silver Beaver is the highest award that can be awarded by a Council. Richard received this award from the Lake Bonneville Boy Scout Council.
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Richard Carl Harris
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Richard Carl Harris

Married: 26 Sep 1939

Elwood Cemetery

West 10000 North
Elwood, Box Elder, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Birth dates of children: Richard Carl, Harris, Jr (Jul 10, 1940); Douglas Edward Harris (Feb 3, 1943); Steven Leslie Harris (May 18, 1946); Margaret Janeal Harris (Jun 23, 1949); Michael Louis Harris (Jul 5, 1954). Richard Carl Harris, Sr. and Margaret Crowther married in LDS Logan Temple. Richard Carl Harris, Sr. born in Salt Lake County, UT Margaret Crowther Harris born in Malad, Idaho


April 4, 2013


April 4, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Richard Carl...

We found more records about Richard Carl Harris.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Richard Carl


Richard Carl Harris is buried in the Elwood Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Silver Beaver Receipiant

Contributor: koand Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Richard C. Harris was awarded the Silver Beaver on 30 November 1972. As one can see, he received this award long before his greatest service achievements. The Silver Beaver is the highest award that can be awarded by a Council. Richard received this award from the Lake Bonneville Boy Scout Council. This award only inspired him to go forward and give more of his time and talents in serving young men. The Spirit of Scouting runs through the descendants and generations of Richard C. Harris. His sons have served in scouting as well as his daughter and daughters-in-law. His grandsons, of whom many have earned the distinguished Eagle rank, have grown to serve as Scoutmasters, Pack Masters, Varsity Coaches and Venturing Leaders. His grand daughters have and are serving in Cub Scout Packs and Scout Committee Member. His great grandsons carry on the high ideals of scouting and are also achieving the rank advancement and are being awarded the Arrow of Light, On My Honor Award, and the Highest Scouting Award, the rank of Eagle Scout. They also have developed a love for Scouting. I am confident that my Father would be happy with what he has caused through his example and deep abiding love for the development of young men.


Contributor: koand Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

MY SCOUTING EXPERIENCES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS Written in part by Margaret C. Harris and by Steven L. Harris Steven Harris: I have contemplated my father’s situation, that of being fatherless at the age of eleven. Through my life I have worked with young men who did not have a father in their home and I have seen the effect of being fatherless. But I have not seen those same features in any of the actions of my father. I believe it was because a few good, caring men watched after my father in those early years. I am touched as I read his experience of walking up the canyon, in the darkness of the night, to join his fellow scouts. Dad told this story when his grandson Kirk received his Eagle award and my thoughts went to the darkness of night, away from familiar surrounding, with a stray dog as his only companion. What happiness he must have felt when he reached the campsite of his companions and scout leader. What a brave young man he was. As we grew up in our Elwood home there were two books, kept in the upstairs bedroom, which were our favorites. One was a book on Indian skills and the other was The Boy Scout Handbook. The substance of those two books kept my mind occupied for hours. I do not know where the book on Indian Skills came from but I am most certain that the Boy Scout Handbook was my father’s. I would read this manual over and over again, trying to remember the knots and skills that it taught. My father was a top Scouter and I know that he wanted his sons to love and achieve in scouting as well. Carl advanced to the Life Scout rank, of which we were all very proud. The rest of us fell short of that accomplishment. For myself, I became a First Class Scout (A rank that my 11 year old grandson ‘Ethan’ has accomplished by age 11 ½.) But let me be the first to say that my rank did not reflect my love for scouting. From my father I saw that scouting was not a rank or a position but a spirit to do one’s duty to God and his country, to live after the Scout Oath and Law, to seek out opportunities of service to one’s neighbors, friends and countrymen. Scouting is also developing a love for the outdoors and a confidence that one could survive away from civilization and Mom’s cooking. All of that is what I took from my Father’s love of Scouting. One day, as I was complaining over the cost of an adult scout uniform, my father said, “Buying a scout uniform is an investment. You will use that uniform more than any other piece of clothing you purchase.” Dad was right! But I have found that over the years that the uniforms seem to shrink and so I would need to purchase the next larger size. Over 30 years of scouting I have purchased numerous sizes and styles. Margaret C. Harris: Dick has always been interested in Scouting and all the experiences, knowledge, and development it gives boys. He had a wonderful Scout Master who took a great interest in him and in many ways took the place of his father who died when he was eleven years old. In April of 1943 we moved to Millville, Utah, and that fall Dick was made Scout master in that ward. He activated the troop, worked to get all members in uniform, including himself. Because of the lack of facilities in the church, he fixed up a room in the old abandoned school house where the boys could hold their activities. He would go early to troop meeting and make a fire and get everything in readiness for their Scout meetings. They carried out many activities during that time, camping and learning outdoor survival skills and attending summer camp at Bear Lake. In December of 1946, we moved to Salt Lake City where we lived a short 9 months and then moved to Elwood, Utah, where he could give his three sons the advantages of a farm life. In 1948 he became Explorer Post Advisor and held the position for one year when he was made Superintendent of the Y.M.I.A. In June of 1951 he was called to be the Second Counselor of the Elwood Ward Bishopric. It was during this time that he helped plan and accompany the Explorer Scouts over the old Mormon Trail from Hennifer to “This is the Place Monument”. This was a three day trek but a very exciting one for the boys and leaders. Dick has served as Scout Master while serving as the Bishop of the Elwood Ward. About a month after he had retired from the S.C.S. the bishopric and Scout Committee were trying to find a Scout Master for thirteen boys. It seemed that no one felt they had the time to give. The Counselors of the Bishopric and the Scout Committee turned to him and asked him to serve as the Scout Master. He consented to take the job, along with his responsibilities as bishop. He immediately went to the Scout Office and secured all the books and pamphlets which would acquaint him and prepare him for the work. The Scout Masters, Dick and Earl Petersen, assistant Scout Master, and the boys set these goals for the year: •Striving for 100% attendance at Scout Meeting •All boys in uniform •An over-night camp-out each month of the year •Continuous advancement in earning merit badges and rank. This program was carried out and there was a high attendance at Scout meeting, and most of the time all boys were in uniform until some of them out-grew their clothes. Each month they camped out in a different area, the most exciting one being a camp they held in six feet of snow up in Logan Canyon. In July they spent one week at Camp Loll and reported that they had a wonderful time and many Merit Badges were earned. In their second year Dick and Earl gave the boys and their parents the challenge of each boy becoming an Eagle Scout before he became an Explorer. Dick visited with each one in connection with this challenge. He checked on their accomplishments and planed ways and means so that they could become Eagle Scouts. They also have made arrangements with the Elwood Town Board to erect road signs, including the names and house numbers of each family. This project was selected to raise funds for Scout activities and also to give the boys new experiences in helping with a Community Project. Following are the Scout Activities he has been engaged in since living in Box Elder County: •District Camping and Activity Chairman: ___1 year. •Conservation of Natural Resources Merit Badge Counselor: ___3 years •Has served on the Eagle board of Review. •Has assisted in the Conservation Camporees for many years. These have been held at Petersen Park, Blue Creek, North Salt Lake, Hansel Valley, and Willard Peak. •As Bishop of the Elwood Ward he has taken the time and interest to accompany the Boy Scouts of the ward to their summer camps: Camp Loll, Bartlett, and to the Unitas. •He served as the Scoutmaster, at the same time serving as Bishop. From the time the land was donated for Petersen Park, he has taken a great interest in it. Under his supervision and help, the following improvements have been made: •1966 oAn access road was surveyed and built into the park. oA spring was developed which furnishes the water for the rest rooms. oRest rooms with flush toilets have been constructed in the park. •1977 •The Wilderness Trail was started. oThe Entrance Sign and Gate was made and installed. oThe flag Pole was donated and set up. •1978 oThe Barbeque Pit was built. oSigns of Caution and Instruction were made and placed in the park. oThe Amphitheater was started. • 1979 oThe Culinary Water and the Sprinkling System was installed. oIn September of this year at the Conservation Camporee the East Branch of the Wilderness Trail was opened up. oFrom time to time young trees have been planed throughout the Park. On most of these projects, the boys working n their Conservation Merit Badges, would be called in to help, thus passing the requirements. Many times these projects would not be completed at the particular time the boys were with him, so he would go to the park early and late, finishing them by himself.

Meeting My Eternal Companion, by Richard Carl Harris

Contributor: koand Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

The Winter Quarter of my Senior Year at Utah State University I attended a Girl’s Day Dance and we exchanged many of our dances. One fellow I danced with had a beautiful base voice and sang in my ear as we danced. He made quite an impression on me and I found myself looking for him on the campus. When I asked him what his name was he said that his friends called him “Dick” and when I told him my name he called me “Gretchen”. He was studying German at the time and he had learned that Gretchen was a "pet name" for Margaret in that language. Sort of like "Dick" for "Richard". Our friendship grew – everything he said or did pleased me. We had long wonderful talks and went to a number of dances together. Even walking through the Logan cemetery was enjoyable with him. I wrote to the folks describing him as the “most refined man I had ever met”. I was living at the Home Economics’ Training Cottage at the time and he had to pass the cottage to go to school and I would watch out the windows to see him pass by. He had a Model A Ford car and I dearly loved it. When he would pass by in that my heart would really pound. The day before graduation on June 6th, at Friendship Park, up Black Smith Fork Canyon, at about 11:00 a.m. he proposed to me. I accepted without any hesitation, because I had known for some time he was all I desired in the man I would marry. The next day we graduated and it was another wonderful day. The folks were there and I never will forget the way they looked as I walked up the steps after receiving my diploma. Dad looked as if he would cry. It was good to be home again after all that hard work and for the next 18 months I spent my time getting my trousseau ready, writing letters, and helping at home. I didn’t think it was possible to be so happy. When I think back, it must have been a hard time for the folks but I enjoyed every minute of it. I also had my appendices out during this time. We were married in the Logan Temple on the 267th of September 1939, by Joseph Quinney. Dad and Aunt Kate, taking the place of my mother, Dick’s mother and Aunt Oridine accompanied us. I had a beautiful satin dress with lace around the neck and 22 buttons up the back which caused Aunt Kate some concern because the loop-holes were a little small for the buttons and it took extra time to get all those buttons taken care of. Other than that everything was very beautiful – I felt as if I was in heaven. I was so happy except for the fact that thoughts of Mother not being able to be there with us and thinking of all she had done in preparation of my trousseau, clothes, temple clothing – more things that I could ever mention. Because of this, in the early meeting I lost control and began to cry and couldn’t get stopped. Aunt Kate and I sat in the back of the building and Dick and Dad were on the front row so they didn’t see me crying. I was so afraid he would see me and think my tears were because I didn’t want to marry him. I had gained control by the time we met again so everything was alright. From the time I entered the temple I experienced a very special feeling and I gave thanks to my Heavenly Father and to my parents for making this day possible for us. The officiators treated me as if I was a queen and each time I would look at Dick as we went through the different rooms I thought my heart would burst with love for him. The wedding ceremony gave us the knowledge that it was inspired of God, that it was a Holy Ordinance and truly there were angels present – what a perfect way to start a life together – we knew that our marriage had been made in Heaven. Addition by Steven Harris My father's love for his Gretchen was apparent in everything he did. After his retirement he remodeled our home, adding rooms and extra space for his family. One could see that almost everything he did was made for his wife's grandchildren. The home was renamed the "Kinder lodge" in a tribute to my Mother's love for her children and her grandchildren. The remodeling started in the main floor kitchen. As he built the cupboards there was one door that he carved into the back, "For My Beloved Gretchen". When the house was sold, after Mother had passed away, my youngest brother Michael, removed the door and saved it.


Contributor: koand Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

THE WEDDING DAY – SEPTEMBER 12, 1968 It was a beautiful warm sunny day in September, with beautiful flowers adorning the Logan temple grounds. The dream of my life, to marry Kris, was going to happen. Kris insisted that I drive with her that morning, afraid that one of us would get into a wreck and die. At 5:00 AM the Kimball's, Adrus Hansen Kimball, Raymond Alonzo Kimball and Kris, came to my home and picked me up. I was leaving my childhood home for the last time, even though I had served a mission in Denmark for 2 1/2 years and was going to college and living in Logan at the time. Nevertheless, by the evening of the 12th my home would be with Kris, never to be parted again. When we arrived at the temple we started the procedures of getting the “Paper Work” checked and processed by the temple recorder. The marriage licenses was given to the temple, along with a family group sheet. Then we were to pick up clothing. Kris’s father would cringe each time the cash register would ring up; “Cha-ching, Cha-ching” it would sound. He felt that he should offer to buy the temple a silent cash register. I actually believe that he did write a nice letter to the church suggesting that a different register would add to the reverence of the temple. This was Kris’s first visit to the temple, other than the times she performed baptisms for the dead. She had not been previously endowed and so this was her big day in more than one way. I had been endowed in 1965 and then had attended the temple often while the summer of 1968 was waning away. In fact, I had become a veil worker with the desire to take Kris through the veil without any coaching. We started that day by attending a chapel session. This was not always done but that is where it started for us. Kris’s father was asked, by the temple president, to make a few remarks. He stated that it had been 25 years since he first attended the temple for his own wedding, (30 September 1943). At that time he was in his Navy uniform, since it was during the War years. He then shared the experiences of 1943 compared with the impressions that he felt on our wedding day, 12 September 1968. Being able to make those comments made the day even more special for my mother and father-in-law and for Kristine. Throughout the endowment session I kept looking at Kris, wondering what she was thinking. I couldn’t help but remember my first time through the temple and some of my thoughts. We eventually concluded the session and as mentioned, I was able to take her through the veil of the temple. President Raymond, president of the Logan Temple, performed the marriage covenant and sealing. I felt the spirit of the Lord present and I knew that what I was doing was in accordance with His will and His wishes. How I wished that I would have recorded my feelings of the moment, but I failed to do so. The best that I can give you are my memories. I do remember that it was a perfect day for me. After we were married we met back to the Elwood Ward building where we ate a good lunch. My Father stood up during the dinner and expressed his feelings, and then invited others to do the same. Before we had finished, we had held our own private testimony meeting, with almost everyone in attendance participating. Since we were not having a reception we were then able to use our wedding cake for dessert. Janeal had made the beautiful wedding cake and we enjoyed cutting and serving it to the wedding party. Janeal, in her efforts to get everything ready, had ran home to pick up something and had found that Carl and Melanie had sent some Hawaiian Leis from Hawaii. They were on the steps of the home. She had brought them back and so Kris and I wore these most beautiful arrangements of flowers. Kris was the most beautiful woman that I had ever seen. And besides her beauty, the effort of our parents made the day the special one that it was. I appreciate the efforts and sacrifice they went through so that our marriage day would be one to remember. The entire day was a spiritual experience.

A Glimse at the Eternal Family - By Steven Harris

Contributor: koand Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Written on the 12th of November 1977, by Steven Leslie Harris. These were the feeling and thought that I had after visiting with my older brother, Douglas Edward Harris. “Tonight I’ve had a wonderful spiritual experience. We, the entire family (Kris and the children) went out to see Douglas and Judy in Broomfield. While we were there Douglas and I had a wonderful experience together. We were talking about the Harris Family Organization and how it was a part of the plan of our Heavenly Father’s. As we talked, my mind, along with that of my brother’s, opened up to what this family organization could accomplish. Douglas talked to me about how our hearts were softened towards each other, where total love and acceptance could prevail. That through this love we would conquer the problems we might all come up against. Douglas talked as though he were receiving revelation. Tears came to my eyes and a wonderful spirit filled my heart and soul. We talked about being able to see the vision and realizing what it should be. I was able to see my Father as a patriarch, like the scriptures describe. I had such a desire to be in counsel with my Father in a priesthood interview, having him, along with myself, set goals for me and hold me accountable for my actions. I wanted to be blessed by him as Nephi must have been by Lehi, and Joseph by Israel, and other spiritual men by their fathers. I listened to Douglas as he spoke of Carl and Melanie and their family, and my heart was filled with a spirit of love and devotion towards them. We talked of Michael and Sydna and their marriage and how far they had come since our first reunion in Worland, Wyoming. We talked of the growing love shown us by Tony and Janeal and their family. We talked of the enemy, the adversary, and how he is out to destroy us, to murder our spirits and bring us down to a spiritual death. Douglas and I agreed that we must rely on each other more, that when we felt in trouble in any spiritual way we should and would contact each other for guidance and strength. We decided that we will weather the storm and that we will succeed. We realize that we have a fight before us, but we will strive to brace each other in our goals. I wish to say at this time that I believe with all of my heart that we are embarking upon a spiritual doorway to eternal life with the Harris Family Organization. We must succeed! There are thousands of souls that will be affected by what we do now. We are the leaders of this generation and we cannot shrug the responsibilities any longer. We must overcome our weaknesses and we must accomplish our goals. That we might truly be an eternal family, with an assurance of living with our Heavenly Father, I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.”

Memories of my home

Contributor: koand Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Written by Steven Leslie Harris I think the things I remember most during those first years of my life were the times when the entire family was working or having fun together, free of teasing or conflict. For example, remember the winters when the snow would come down hard and heavy and the wind would blow, leaving us snowed bound. This was the time for a lot of play and fun out doors in the weather. The snow was so high on the roads, those running east and west, that the snow plow couldn't get through without hours of work. After it did the snow would blow right over the road again. This must have been frustrating for the County Road Department. We all loved those times because we where at the height of an adventure. It seemed that the only way of traveling up and down our lane was on a horse. Our home was located on the floor of an ancient lake bed, leaving the entire valley flat as a table. The north wind would blow with surprisingly strength and there was nothing to divert the blowing snow. Along the fences, where the weeds from summer had grown, the snow drifted high and solid. Therefore, the closure of the roads. I remember once our neighbor driving a Caterpillar down the road, trying to break up the drifts so that he could get his truck through the drifts. Rather than breaking up the snow drifts his Caterpillar just road on top of the frozen snow drift. The snow drifts were as solid as drifting sand. Christmases were always a wonderful time. I am sure that every child would say the same. In my mind nobody on this earth could make an atmosphere like my Dad could. He would set up everything so perfectly and wouldn't forget a thing. The fireplace would be blazing and the Christmas tree lights on, and a few candles lighted. That was all, and the Christmas toys would sparkle in with the reflection of the Christmas Tree Lights. This was when we would have soda pop and it was always so special. (I can't remember having the soda pop except at Christmas and special Ward Fairs.) We had every kind of nut and a large box of oranges. We would sing all of the Christmas carols, starting a week before Christmas and singing a few each evening. I hope my children can remember special moments like these. I also hope I have been able to set an atmosphere like my Father was able to. I have tried but I must say that my father was the expert. I remember that during the summer months we would have a picnics out in the pasture. It seemed that these activities included a work day where we seemed to have cleaned yards or pruned the trees. It was started with Dad starting a fire, using the limbs and branches as the fuel. Mother would bring out some hotdogs and set things up on a table or just spread things out on a blanket. It is always fun to cook food over a fire and the taste seems special for some reason. We would hear Dad's funny stories of his childhood, relating stories about his brother Paul, who seemed to be accident prone and had the scars or missing fingers to show for his actions. What ever the story was it always seemed to get everyone laughing. One special memory that stands out in my mind was staring up into the dark sky and looking at the Milky Way. I asked Dad if he thought that there was any other planet in the heavens with people on it. He took this opportunity to tell us of the plan of salvation and that there were many planets like our Earth with people on them. The thought of such things have given me years of pondering. Moses 1:37-39 "And the Lord God spake unto Moses, saying: The heavens, they are many, and they cannot be numbered unto man; but they are numbered unto me, for they are mine. 38 And as one earth shall pass away, and the heavens thereof even so shall another come; and there is no end to my works, neither to my words. 39 For behold, this is my work and my glory - to bring to ;pass the immortality and eternal life of man." The piano was always in the middle of our family. Because of my parent's love for music it was assumed that the family would all take part. Mother wanted us all to learn to play the piano but Carl and Janeal were the only ones to excel. That didn’t mean that the rest of us did not like music, only that we couldn’t play the piano. We all sang and I played the trombone and eventually received my college degree as a music teacher. One evening the family was rehearsing a song that we were going to sing in a Sacrament meeting. Mother was at the piano, Carl and Dad were singing Bass, Douglas was singing something or other and Dad wanted me to sing the melody. I insisted that I couldn’t sing that high and that I needed to sing bass. (I was about 8 or 9 at the time) Dad soon lost his patience after trying to convince me to sing the melody and in a flash I was draped over his knee and he gave me about five good swats on my back side. My heart was broken; I had been spanked in front of the entire family. I broke down and cried, not because it hurt, which it did, but because I was embarrassed. For some reason, Douglas also started to cry and then I believe Janeal followed. All of these intruders, on my suffering, were making Dad more exasperated. I was afraid that I would get another licking if this continued. Dad’s famous words are instilled upon my mind, “Stop crying or I’ll give you something to cry about!” Have you ever intellectually known something to be right but the body would not respond? That evening, at that moment, my sobs kept coming even though I had been told to stop. Dad then told Douglas and me to go outside and run around the house until we stopped crying. We ran, and then ran some more, until the cold air of the evening had dried our tears and calmed our troubled hearts. I then came in, stood next to Dad and sang soprano, the melody. Had I only known that I would marry into a family of altos and that no one would in the Kimball home would stoop so low as to sing the melody, I would have been more cooperative that evening, so long ago. I guess the thing that I would want my family to know is that even though my voice fits best in the bass cleft, I am still trying to sing soprano. One difficult evening should not take away from the great efforts of my parents to make our home a happy place. Every child needs a time for their development and it is best to be able to do that under the loving care of righteous parents. The memories that stand out the most are those times mentioned above when life was simple and happy thoughts of the family working and playing together.


Contributor: koand Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Prepared March 30, 1993 I am the son of an emigrant. My father was born in England in 1861 and was brought by his mother to the United States of America in 1870. My mother's father was born in Nauvoo, Illinois, during the Mormon Movement to the Utah Territory. Mother was born in the village of Paradise, a few miles south of Logan, Utah. At 2 years of age she, with her family, moved by Ox-team to Sevier County, Utah, where she was raised. My father was 16 years old when Brigham Young died in 1877. Although there is no record, I believe my father must have seen and heard President Brigham Young on a number of occasions as the President passed through the pioneer settlement of Beaver, Utah, where father lived. Father moved his family to the Salt Lake Valley before my birth. Joseph F. Smith was the 6th President of the restored Church of Jesus Christ when I was born in 1914. It is noteworthy that in 1914, the great 1st World War was started. I was the 13th child born to my father and mother. My father died in 1925 when I was 11 years old. My mother never remarried, although she lived to be 90 years old. I remember attending General Conference many times in the Salt Lake tabernacle and hearing all of the last 7 prophets speak beginning with President Heber J. Grant. He was noted for speaking on the Word of Wisdom. In 1929, when the great depression started I was 15 years old. Mother's income was $32.00 per month. The source of her income was rent from the building constructed by my father and used by him until his death, as a Country General Mercantile Store. I spent many happy days as a child playing in the back store-room on the big piles of baled hay, grain and other good. From my mother's meager income, she faithfully paid $3.20 tithing each month. I never remember going hungry or feeling deprived during those depression years but our menu was often very simple. I have worked to earn an income ever since I was old enough to push a boy-powered lawn mover at 25 cents per lawn. In 1934 I entered the Utah State Agricultural College, (now Utah State University) at Logan, Utah. As an adult I have never had to hunt for a job or been out of work. As a Soil and Water Conservationist, I have worked with farmers and ranchers in the great out-of-doors which I love. My life has been productive, exciting and beautiful. I have always been active in the Church. As a child, I was always in the Church meetings and I remember sitting on the front bench squirming through Sacrament Meeting with my little friend and being tapped on the shoulder by a grouchy old man behind me and told to keep quiet so he could hear. I was baptized in the Salt Lake Tabernacle font and received the Aaronic Priesthood and its offices at the proper ages. It was while I was attending college that I was given the Melchizedek Priesthood and ordained an Elder. Finding and marrying my sweetheart, Margaret Crowther, whom I have always lovingly called "Gretchen", was by far the single most important event in my life with the possible exception of my birth. I am eternally grateful to my beloved Mother and my sweetheart Margaret who have put so much beauty and meaning into my life. Margaret and I were married in the Logan Temple 53 years ago last September 26th. Our 4 sons and 1 daughter have blessed our lives by their steadfastness in keeping the commandments and serving God. Their marriages have all be in the temple. We are blessed by a goodly number of grandchildren. (34) We are honored to have 6 grandsons who have or are serving missions and another one who will enter the MTC in April. Each of our 4 sons and our son-n-law have fulfilled missions and our oldest son has returned to his mission to serve as mission president for three years. (1981-1984) I have always considered myself to be one of the meek and lowly of our Father's children and yet he has blessed me, my sweetheart and our children with continued opportunities to serve in his kingdom in many different callings - some with awesome responsibilities. In so doing he has blessed us to labor among some of the great and noble of his kingdom. I have served many years in the Scouting Program. It has been my blessing to be Bishop two times, first in the Millville Ward, near Logan, Utah, and later as Bishop of the Elwood Ward where we now live. Next I was made First Councilor in the Tremonton Utah Stake Presidency. After serving there for 6 years, the Stake was divided and I was ordained Stake Patriarch in the Tremonton Utah South Stake. While Stake Patriarch, I served as a Temple Ordinance Worker in the Logan Temple. (16 months) The release from that calling was necessary when Margaret and I responded to a mission call to serve in the Los Angeles Temple Visitor's Center. We had many beautiful experiences in that hallowed spot but the mission was shortened due to my failing health. Upon returning home I have been able to return to my Stake Patriarch work and serve again as a Home Teacher. I know that God our Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ live. They know each of us individually and want us to find true happiness. I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ, in its fullness, and his true church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has once again been restored to the earth in our day and is the only means by which we may know our Father's beautiful Plan of Salvation. We have the God-given gift of Free Agency and I know that he expects each of us to use this freedom to make the righteous choices which, when coupled with repentance and the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, will make it possible to live in his presence in the eternities ahead. I know that Salvation is an individual responsibility, but each of us are helped in our quest for Eternal Life by those who lift and encourage us along the way. This wonderful Family Reunion has been a strengthening influence to me as I have read the accounts of our noble ancestors and become better acquainted with you from whom we have been separated these many years. I marvel at the goodness of the rising generation and all who make up the posterity of my Father and Mother. All of us have characteristics similar to those of our noble ancestors. It is my prayer that we may all be motivated and blessed to live our lives in such a way that we will reflect the beautiful virtues that were demonstrated by them. I offer this condensed history, my testimony and my prayer in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen Richard C. Harris My Father passed away on 17 April 2000. He was almost 85 years old at his passing. My Mother preceded him and her passing was 8 June 1998. My father's outward admiration and love for his wife and eternal sweetheart was abundantly apparent. He failed to mention the rebuilding of our home in Elwood - a remodeling job that will never be surpassed. He dedicated it to his "Gretchen" whom he loved with all of his heart. He built it so that she would have space for her grandchildren. He named it "The Kinder Lodge". My brother Douglas E. Harris dedicated it after it was completed.

Life timeline of Richard Carl Harris

Richard Carl Harris was born on 8 Nov 1914
Richard Carl Harris was 15 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Richard Carl Harris was 16 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Richard Carl Harris was 31 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Richard Carl Harris was 38 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Richard Carl Harris was 49 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Richard Carl Harris was 58 years old when Munich massacre: Nine Israeli athletes die (along with a German policeman) at the hands of the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group after being taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games. Two other Israeli athletes were slain in the initial attack the previous day. The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, in which the Palestinian terrorist group Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them along with a West German police officer.
Richard Carl Harris was 66 years old when Mount St. Helens erupts in Washington, United States, killing 57 people and causing $3 billion in damage. Mount St. Helens or Louwala-Clough is an active stratovolcano located in Skamania County, Washington, in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. It is 50 miles (80 km) northeast of Portland, Oregon and 96 miles (154 km) south of Seattle, Washington. Mount St. Helens takes its English name from the British diplomat Lord St Helens, a friend of explorer George Vancouver who made a survey of the area in the late 18th century. The volcano is located in the Cascade Range and is part of the Cascade Volcanic Arc, a segment of the Pacific Ring of Fire that includes over 160 active volcanoes. This volcano is well known for its ash explosions and pyroclastic flows.
Richard Carl Harris was 75 years old when Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison outside Cape Town, South Africa after 27 years as a political prisoner. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was the country's first black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism and fostering racial reconciliation. Ideologically an African nationalist and socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 1991 to 1997.
Richard Carl Harris died on 17 Apr 2000 at the age of 85
Grave record for Richard Carl Harris (8 Nov 1914 - 17 Apr 2000), BillionGraves Record 3469773 Elwood, Box Elder, Utah, United States