Ray Gammon

24 Mar 1906 - 18 Dec 1988


Ray Gammon

24 Mar 1906 - 18 Dec 1988
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Memories of Ray Gammon By Ray Eugene Gammon, his eldest child Ray Gammon was born in Vineyard, Utah, on March 24, 1906, in a home located next to Utah Lake west of the Geneva Steel cooling pond. His father, Harry Gammon, left his home in London, England and arrived in Utah in the early 1890's. His m
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Ray Gammon
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Ray Gammon

Married: 22 Mar 1933

Orem Cemetery

770 Murdock Canal Trail
Orem, Utah, Utah
United States


August 4, 2011


August 4, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Ray...

We found more records about Ray Gammon.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Ray


Ray Gammon is buried in the Orem Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Memories of Ray Gammon by Ray Eugene Gammon

Contributor: CRPike Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Memories of Ray Gammon By Ray Eugene Gammon, his eldest child Ray Gammon was born in Vineyard, Utah, on March 24, 1906, in a home located next to Utah Lake west of the Geneva Steel cooling pond. His father, Harry Gammon, left his home in London, England and arrived in Utah in the early 1890's. His mother, Olena Larsen, was born in Denmark and came to Utah in the early 1870's. In March, 1933, he and Pauline Sumsion were married in Salt Lake City, Utah. She was born and raised in nearby Lakeview, Utah. They are the parents of seven children: Ray Eugene Gammon, Harry Keola Gammon, Marie G. Ashton, “J” Rulon Gammon, Myrna G. Gilbert, Annetta G. Hiatt, and Ralene G. Brough. Gene, Rulon, and Myrna were born in Vineyard. Harry and Marie were born in Lakeview, and Annetta and Ralene were born in American Fork. Church service was a most important part of his life. He served a mission in the Hawaiian Islands from 1930 to 1932, and talked fondly of his experiences. As far back as I can remember he was involved in Church service. He was called to serve on the high council of the Sharon Stake not too long after I was born. He was released from the high council in 1945 to serve as a counselor to Bishop Walter R. Holdaway of the Vineyard Ward. Next, he served as a counselor to Bishop J. Taylor Allen. In 1952, he was called as bishop of the Vineyard Ward and served in that capacity for more than six years. During his service as bishop, several members were brought back into full activity in the Church. He served on high councils of the Orem West and West Sharon Stakes. His genuine love and concern for others made him a special person in the lives of many people. He bore a fervent testimony and his voice sometimes was filled with emotion as he talked about the Savior. His great desire was that his children would marry in the temple, and be faithful members of the Church, and that all who wished to do so could fulfill missions. As I was growing up, Dad mentioned many times how he looked forward to doing temple work in the Salt Lake Temple after he retired. The Provo Temple was dedicated in February 1972, which gave him an opportunity to fulfill his desire to serve in the temple. He began working in the Provo Temple from its outset and continued working there until he was released in 1986. During his service there, he worked at the Recommend Desk, and was in charge of the lockers and keys. In addition to working at the temple three days per week, he did vicarious work for the dead. Working at the temple brought great satisfaction and joy to him. Farming has always been an integral part of his life. At the death of his uncle, Jack Larsen, he purchased the Larsen farm and home located at the west end of what is now called Gammon Road, and established a thriving dairy farm, and received the Utah Dairy Farmer of the Year award in 1958. One of his outstanding traits was the importance he placed upon his word of honor, as illustrated in the following incident. I remember that a man came to the farm one day to purchase a bull calf. We had no use for bull calves in our dairy operation. Dad told this man he could have the calf for $5.00. The man said he would pay for the calf when he returned later to pick it up. Meanwhile another man came who said that he desperately needed a calf. Dad and I happened to be at the calf pen. He said he would give Dad $10.00 for the bull calf. Dad told him that we did not have any calves for sale at the time. After the man left, I mentioned to Dad that he could have made an extra $5.00 if he had let that man have the calf. Dad told me that “a man’s word is his bond” and that once you have said you will do something, that you must keep it no matter what. His honesty and integrity were impeccable. Whenever he needed to cover feed costs or other farm needs, all he had to do was telephone Junius West at the Bank of Pleasant Grove, and the money was placed in his checking account. Any documents needing to be signed could be done when he happened to be in Pleasant Grove. He could be trusted. He was equally at home driving a team of horses or operating a large tractor or other piece of equipment. He particularly prided himself in planting corn, onions, sugar beets or other row crops in the straightest rows possible. Those rows of corn, onions or sugar beets were as straight as an arrow! It made the cultivating of those crops much easier, and the irrigation water ran down the furrows without any difficulty. He knew the value of crop rotation, and would point out examples of poor crop rotation while we were traveling in Utah Valley. He was one of the first farmers in the valley to line his irrigation ditches with concrete thereby conserving water. Rendering help to others even when his own farm demanded his attention was another of Dad’s traits. He would take his equipment and assist his neighbors. He loved to help them and he never expected them to do anything in return. He was offended if they offered him money or anything else. On many occasions he took his farm equipment and worked on the Church Welfare farm, even when his crops were in need of immediate attention, such as harvesting the hay or grain. He showed by his example that the Church was important and its needs were placed ahead of the needs of the farm. Dad was quite a basketball player. He loved the game. He built a basketball backboard, and placed it in the hay barn so that basketball could be played even in the winter time. One of his favorite games was challenging another person to a game of 21. Three points was given for each basket made from the “long” position (20 or more feet from the basket), and one point for any basket made from the “short” position (which could be shot from any place). Two people played. Each had a basketball, and upon a start signal would shoot the “long” shot, and then a “short” shot, and return to the “long” shot area to shoot again, followed by a “short” shot. Dad would usually win because he was such a good long ball shooter. He had played on a L.D.S. missionary team, which beat the University of Hawaii. Dad loved farming, but retired in 1968, whereupon he and mother accepted an LDS mission call to serve in Nauvoo, Illinois. During his service, first, as a guide, and later as a counselor in the mission presidency, he met people from many parts of the land as well as from foreign countries and enjoyed telling them about the Nauvoo era. Although direct proselyting was not permitted, he generated interest in the Church and obtained many referrals for the fulltime missionaries. Upon their return in 1971, they lived in Orem, Utah. Dad returned often to the farm to assist Rulon, who has operated it since 1968. Dad loved to work with the hammer and saw to make things. He learned carpentry work while working in Salt Lake City in the late 1930's. After his return from Nauvoo, he frequently came to our home, and worked on our unfinished basement. He did the design for the basement, and most of the carpentry work. He made a workshop out of half of the garage at his home in Orem. He especially enjoyed making little hardwood chairs for his grandchildren and for others. When he wasn’t working at the temple, he could be found in his little workshop. Christmas time was a special event for his family. On Christmas Eve, he and Mom invited all the family (children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren) to their home. Gifts were exchanged, goodies were served, and fun times were had by all. At the Christmas Eve gathering in 1987, Dad complained of back pain, and was later taken to the hospital. The doctors planned to do back surgery, but the pre-op physical showed that his lymph nodes were enlarged and a biopsy revealed that he had lymphoma, a type of cancer. He underwent chemotherapy, radiation and other treatment. Although he was in great pain, he never complained. In October, 1988, he attended the Harry Gammon family reunion. He spoke to all in attendance about his parents and his growing up in Vineyard. He never mentioned anything about his pain and suffering. He continued to be active, visiting family, and was present at the birthday party honoring Mom on the occasion of her birthday on December 10, held at Rulon’s home. At that time he was just able to sip liquids and could not tolerate regular food, which would make him nauseated. Yet he did not complain. He planned to attend the missionary farewells of two of his grandchildren on December 18, but he died early that morning at his home in Orem, Utah.

Written by Grandson Ronald Ashton

Contributor: CRPike Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Two days a year stand out for me when I think of Grandpa Gammon, Thanksgiving and Christmas. There was always a grand meal on thanksgiving, and then playing basketball. At Christmas, Grandma would always give us a new towel. Grandpa would have the chairs that he made lined up around the tree. As the oldest grandson, It was my place to be Joseph in the live nativity while Grandpa told the story of Christ's birth.

Ray Gammon's cane and teeth

Contributor: CRPike Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Near the end of his life, Grandpa Ray Gammon had to use a cane to get around. I remember wanting to walk close enough to him that I could escape quickly if he tried to ensnare me with his cane. He'd try to hook us around the neck and pull us in, while we shrieked to get away. I was a little grossed out when he'd clack his fake teeth together. I was 10 years old when he died.

Cleaning an apple

Contributor: CRPike Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I have few memories of Grandpa Gammon as he died when I was 8 years old, but I do have a very distinct memory that still affects me to this day. We had come to visit Grandpa and Grandma Gammon as a family a few years before he died, and as we left I asked if I could have an apple from one of their fruit trees. I remember sitting in the middle seat of our Subaru and I can still see in my mind's eye how he cleaned the apple off by rubbing it on his shirt sleeve as he walked in front of our car. Every time I eat an apple, even if it has already been washed under water in a sink, I always give it an extra cleaning by rubbing it on my shirt sleeve and I always think of Grandpa as I do so.

Life timeline of Ray Gammon

Ray Gammon was born on 24 Mar 1906
Ray Gammon was 8 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Ray Gammon was 14 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Ray Gammon was 25 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Ray Gammon was 35 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa. Nazi Germany is the common English name for Germany between 1933 and 1945, when Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party (NSDAP) controlled the country through a dictatorship. Under Hitler's rule, Germany was transformed into a totalitarian state that controlled nearly all aspects of life via the Gleichschaltung legal process. The official name of the state was Deutsches Reich until 1943 and Großdeutsches Reich from 1943 to 1945. Nazi Germany is also known as the Third Reich, from German Drittes Reich, meaning "Third Realm" or "Third Empire", the first two being the Holy Roman Empire and the German Empire. The Nazi regime ended after the Allied Powers defeated Germany in May 1945, ending World War II in Europe.
Ray Gammon was 47 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Ray Gammon was 58 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Ray Gammon was 67 years old when Munich massacre: Nine Israeli athletes die (along with a German policeman) at the hands of the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group after being taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games. Two other Israeli athletes were slain in the initial attack the previous day. The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, in which the Palestinian terrorist group Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them along with a West German police officer.
Ray Gammon died on 18 Dec 1988 at the age of 82
Grave record for Ray Gammon (24 Mar 1906 - 18 Dec 1988), BillionGraves Record 83122 Orem, Utah, Utah, United States