Ralph Leo Holt

30 Mar 1896 - 21 Feb 1980

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Ralph Leo Holt

30 Mar 1896 - 21 Feb 1980
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Ralph Leo Holt (30 Mar 1896 - 21 Feb 1980) at Alpine Cemetery in Alpine, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Ralph Leo Holt

Married: 25 Jun 1930

Alpine Cemetery

283 N 300 E
Alpine, Utah, Utah
United States


July 24, 2011


April 6, 2020


April 4, 2020


July 23, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Ralph Leo


Ralph Leo Holt is buried in the Alpine Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Ralph Leo Holt (1896–1980) (Written by his son, Ralph M. Holt)

Contributor: Chynna67 Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Ralph was born at home in Bountiful, Utah, the last of ten children. In his early years, he grew up with a friend — a puppy. They were buddies, at least into his early school years. When he was two or so, Ralph disappeared. The family searched everywhere — the barn, the blacksmith shop, the house. Finally, in desperation, they searched the forbidden (at least to children) parlor, and there behind the sofa slept Ralph. Ralph, from an early age had the ability to sleep anywhere, anytime. The Holts were truck farmers. (William J. Holt was also a blacksmith and sometimes “dentist.”) They grew vegetables on their small farm and periodically hauled them to Salt Lake to the farmers market and sold them. The night before, they would pick the ripening fruit and vegetables and load the wagon. Then about 2 a.m., Ralph and his dad would get in the wagon and head south. By 6 a.m. they would be at the old farmers market (about where the Salt Palace now stands) and sell their produce from the wagon. Toward 11 a.m., if there was produce, it would become young Ralphs job to go door to door until the excess was sold. This early selling experience served Ralph well in later years. Ralph’s mother died when he was about twelve years old. This probably was the main reason why he very often accompanied his father to the market. The loss of his mother also resulted in the deterioration in the quality of meals. The older girls were marrying and moving away from home, so they could only occasionally cook for the younger ones. Ralph thought that the poor meals at that stage of this development contributed to his later bouts with ulcers. Ralph graduated form the 8th grade and continued working on the farm and at other odd jobs. Occasionally he would take a break, catch the tram and spend a day swimming at Saltair, the place to go in the early 1900s. In 1918, Ralph was drafted into the Army and assigned to an artillery battalion for training in Kentucky. Fortunately the Armistice was signed in November, before Ralph’s battalion was ready to go to France. A quick demobilization put Ralph out of the Army and out of work. Brother Willard was working for the Southern Pacific railroad as a fireman. He found a yard job for Ralph. On this job, the crew did maintenance work on boxcars, which included straightening of the brake rods for the cars, lubricating and repacking the cotton waste in the journal boxes. This was a short job and only lasted until mid-1919, as the continued post-war demobilization finally impacted the railroad business and S.P. had to cut back on their employees. This affected the yard gangs, and Ralph was out of a job. Brother George, for some time had been working with O.P. Skagg in developing the Safeway store system — he was a vice president. So, Ralph went to work for Safeway. Very soon after starting, he became a store manager. Since his store did very well. He soon was used as a trouble-shooter for poorly producing stores. Ralph used to say that each time he got a store built up to where he could make some real money (as manager, he got paid a percentage), they would transfer him. Ralph had stores in such places as Price, Utah; San Francisco; Reno; Sacramento; Lodi, California; and others. (In the 1920s, it was unusual for a grocery store to have a cash register. The recording cash register had not been developed yet. All sales were recorded by item with pencil on pad. Even as late as the 1960s, Dad could total a long column of numbers quickly and accurately.) Most of Ralph’s net income was siphoned off by his being paid in Safeway stock at a discount from the market price. In this way, Safeway took care of its people and acquired much of its development money. On the promotional front, Safeway ran many competitions to increase sales. Ralph won a heavy man’s platinum ring with a 1 1/3 carat diamond in it and a ¼ carat diamond tie pin for increasing sales. The stress to constantly increase sales finally took its toll. In late 1929, Ralph went to the hospital with a severe bleeding ulcer. It was nearly fatal. When the doctors got him stable, they advised Ralph to eliminate all stresses so as to prevent a recurrence. So, brother George was summoned to his bedside and he was told to sell all of his stock. The price that day was $239/share. It took George a week to complete the sale; by then it had dropped to $219/share. The stock market was beginning its great crash. A year later, Safeway was $4/share. Ralph had loaned brother George about $5000. To settle this debt, George gave Ralph a house at 1658 Yalecrest Dr. in SLC. So, Ralph started off in the depression with $65,000 in cash and, a bit later, a house. After his release from the hospital, Ralph checked into a hotel to ease his recuperation. While there, he met Ida in the lobby. He soon gave her a 1 1/3 carat diamond engagement ring. In 1930, they were married in the Salt Lake Temple. After a lengthy honeymoon, by present-day standards, they settled in Southern California. Ralph had retired at age 34. With a quarter of the workforce unemployed, even if he wanted to work it would have been very difficult to find a job. After several moves and an earthquake, the family returned to Salt Lake City and the Yalecrest home. There, Ralph installed an underground sprinkler system. Ralph and Ida had a good time going to the auctions, where they bought a house full of furnishings for very little. In Salt Lake City, Ralph Moyle had a pet tortoise that was “found” crossing a desert highway. Gene had a skunk that her uncles Rex and Rod had deodorized (with some mishap). Rex got sprayed. After about two years in Salt lake City, the house was rented and the family permanently moved to Long Beach, California. Soon after getting established in Long Beach, Ralph was called to be ward clerk, of the Long Beach Ward at 1200 Atlantic Ave. He served as clerk for 33 years and under 8 different bishops. This was probably a record for continuous tenure in one Church position. In 1939, after a tenant revolt, Ralph and Ida were asked to manage the apartment house where they were living. Managing gave them free rent, telephone, lights, and a garage for the car. They stayed at 1485 Atlantic until 1975, when Ida bought a condominium on Second Street. As manager, Ralph did plumbing, carpentry to repair termite damage, painting (every time a tenant moved), cleaning, and constantly was patching the roof. He became a jack-of-all-tradesman. Almost constantly while in California, Ralph was tormented by his ulcer and anew malady: arthritis. Both kept him constantly in pain. Finally, in the early 1970s, another bout with the ulcer sent him to the hospital for surgery. Recovery this time was slow and not complete. He lost about 60 lbs. From this point on, he was rather fragile. Ida took the best of care of him. Ralph always enjoyed geography and the intrigue of faraway places. He said that someday he would like to go to New Zealand.

Life timeline of Ralph Leo Holt

Ralph Leo Holt was born on 30 Mar 1896
Ralph Leo Holt was 9 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Ralph Leo Holt was 16 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Ralph Leo Holt was 32 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Ralph Leo Holt was 43 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Ralph Leo Holt was 49 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Ralph Leo Holt was 57 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Ralph Leo Holt was 68 years old when John F. Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas; hours later, Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in aboard Air Force One as the 36th President of the United States. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, commonly referred to by his initials JFK, was an American politician who served as the 35th President of the United States from January 1961 until his assassination in November 1963. He served at the height of the Cold War, and the majority of his presidency dealt with managing relations with the Soviet Union. As a member of the Democratic Party, Kennedy represented the state of Massachusetts in the United States House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate prior to becoming president.
Ralph Leo Holt was 77 years old when Vietnam War: The last United States combat soldiers leave South Vietnam. The Vietnam War, also known as the Second Indochina War, and in Vietnam as the Resistance War Against America or simply the American War, was a conflict that occurred in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia from 1 November 1955 to the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975. It was the second of the Indochina Wars and was officially fought between North Vietnam and the government of South Vietnam. The North Vietnamese army was supported by the Soviet Union, China, and other communist allies; the South Vietnamese army was supported by the United States, South Korea, Australia, Thailand and other anti-communist allies. The war is considered a Cold War-era proxy war by some US perspectives. The majority of Americans believe the war was unjustified. The war would last roughly 19 years and would also form the Laotian Civil War as well as the Cambodian Civil War, which also saw all three countries become communist states in 1975.
Ralph Leo Holt died on 21 Feb 1980 at the age of 83
Grave record for Ralph Leo Holt (30 Mar 1896 - 21 Feb 1980), BillionGraves Record 65852 Alpine, Utah, Utah, United States