Rachel Starkey Hadley

26 Oct 1876 - 2 Mar 1955


Rachel Starkey Hadley

26 Oct 1876 - 2 Mar 1955
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

On August 7, 1893, Samuel married Rachel Starkey. She had been born in Cheshire, England, October 26, 1876, and had immigrated to Roy with her parents, Francis and Jane Starkey, when she was only five years old. She had had measles only a short time before. It had left her ill and had weakened her e
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Rachel Starkey Hadley
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Rachel Starkey Hadley


Roy City Stoker Memorial Cemetery

5200 South 2300 West
Roy, Weber, Utah
United States


January 3, 2012


January 2, 2012

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Rachel Starkey...

We found more records about Rachel Starkey Hadley.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Rachel Starkey


Rachel Starkey Hadley is buried in the Roy City Stoker Memorial Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Rachel Starkey Hadley

Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

On August 7, 1893, Samuel married Rachel Starkey. She had been born in Cheshire, England, October 26, 1876, and had immigrated to Roy with her parents, Francis and Jane Starkey, when she was only five years old. She had had measles only a short time before. It had left her ill and had weakened her eyes. Her father carried her on board ship to sail for America. Rachel continued to be very sick the whole three weeks of the voyage. Rachel spent much of her childhood herding cows and helping in the fields with the crops. She loved the flowers she found in the pastures and gathered them to take home. She never lost her love for them during her entire life. Samuel’s grandfather gave him ten acres of land, the same as he gave his sons. This is where Samuel built a fine home for his wife. Fourteen children were born there. They were Louisa Jane, Wilbur, Herbert—Fuchia and Vernal both died in 1901 of smallpox—Dora, Lee, Melva, Clifford, Erma, Elsie Una, Alden, Lavon, and Jack Lyle. Samuel farmed his acreage and worked for the Davis County Nursery and later for the Rio Grande Railroad. He was dubbed “Spike” by his fellow workers because he could drive more railroad spikes than anyone else. The children of Samuel and Rachel never went hungry. They were not wealthy but were comfortable and had sufficient of life’s needs. They were a happy family. Samuel died at Roy, November 9, 1942, and Rachel followed on March 2, l955. Rachel could remember some of the joyous, happy days of her childhood in England. Especially she remembered the beautiful flowers, in particular, the snow-drop flowers which resembles the buttercup flower only larger and pure white. She also recalled the peace and quiet of the English countryside. Missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints visited the home of Mr. and Mrs. Starkey, and Rachel remembered them holding her on their knee and telling the family of the true church and its members, and the visitation of the Lord to the Prophet Joseph Smith. Three of the missionaries’ names were Moroni Brown, Ben E. Rich, and Newton Farr. There were not many Mormon people in the English Village and the missionaries held meetings in the Starkey home. They would sing songs and talk and held wonderful meetings. The Starkey family knew deep within their hearts this was the true church that the missionaries spoke of and they felt that they must come to America to be near the saints. When the family decided to come to America, they felt deeply the sadness of leaving their home and friends and yet they knew they were doing right to come. The family sailed from Liverpool, England, and came to this country on the Star Liner. The journey across the water took three weeks, and Rachel was very ill during the crossing. After reaching America, the family traveled by train; the railroad had just been completed, and it seemed a long, slow journey. At last they arrived at Ogden, Utah and were met by William Baker. There was only a small building that was the Depot and a few small stores in Ogden at this time. Mr. Baker took the family by team and wagon to the place that is now Roy, Utah. At that time, it was called “The Basin.” The family, through the kindness of Mr. Baker and many other saints, were soon settled in a little two-room cabin. Rachel had three brothers and four sisters and all were happy and thankful that they had made the journey to this new land. The first Sunday School Rachel attended in Roy was a little bowery covered by willows. Her first teacher was Justin Grover who was the Superintendent. After a short while, the family went to South Weber and lived in a small, humble, one-room cabin while the father worked on the construction of the Weber-Davis County Canal. About one year later, the family started a home on one hundred and sixty acres of land between Hooper and Roy. They lived in a tent until a two-room house could be built, and all worked to start clearing sage brush. With a mule team and single plow, they started clearing and farming the land. Rachel, being the youngest, spent many hours herding cows. She loved the grass and flowers, and spent many hours in the pastures and fields. In later life, she cultivated and grew beautiful flower gardens. The hardships were many, but with the help of the Lord, the family soon had them a small, humble home of their own and was blessed in many ways. For Christmas, they had a Cedar branch for a Christmas tree, and Rachel was happy and joyful to receive one toy and a new hat with a red feather. They all went to Sunday School and were humble and thankful for the chance to learn the principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They tried to pay their tithing and helped with the building of the church. Mr. Starkey was a good provider and being faithful, was blessed and became prosperous. As soon as school started, Rachel attended. David Davis was her first school teacher. Dances were held in some homes and later at the two-room school, and she enjoyed these very much. When Rachel was seventeen years old, she married Samuel at Ogden, Utah. Later they were endowed at the Salt Lake Temple. Rachel was a wonderful mother and homemaker. For many years, she worked as a Relief Society Teacher and has been a faithful member. With a good companion, she has spent her life in fulfilling one of the greatest missions on earth—to bring a family into the world and to raise them in honesty and goodness. She made a wonderful, humble home for her children and always taught them honesty and to follow the teachings of the Lord. [Taken from the book "Hadley Heritage" compiled by Ralph Hadley]

Memories of Samuel and Rachel Hadley

Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

[The following are excerpts from a tape made April 1989 of various memories of Lauana Barnes Arendtsen relating to Samuel and Rachel Hadley. Lauana is a daughter of Melva Hadley and George Earl Barnes and granddaughter of Samuel and Rachel.] My first memory of a trip to the Hadley home was with Aunt Elsie. She came to our house to pick me up and took me back to Roy with her. We caught a streetcar to the downtown area of Ogden and then took the Bamburger from there to Grandma and Grandpa Hadley's home. Sometimes when we stayed at our grandparents, they would let us walk up the sandy road and let us visit our cousins. It was so nice when we returned to Grandmother and Grandfather's house and cooled our hot, tired feet off in the ditch that ran along the front of their place. We spent many good times playing there. We'd take a long stick, string, and safety pin tied to the string and play like the skippers on the water were fish and try to catch them. Sometimes the pea wagon, pulled by horses, would come along piled high with peas, still on the vines, on the way to the canning factory up the street. We'd run behind and pull off a few vines. The men driving the horses pretended not to notice. We would then sit on the bank by the ditch and crack the pea pods open and eat peas. They were so good. There was a fence across the front of the house. The front gate had a spring on it and a cowbell. It was fun to stand on the bottom rail and swing. I'm not sure that my grandparents liked that. The pump out front, west side of front, was neat, too. We watched Grandpa prime that many times to start the water coming. It was cold and good. I loved also to sit on the front porch. It had several comfortable rockers on there. I liked to sit in one of them and look at the big trees gently swaying in the breeze. And as I sat there I could sometimes hear a rooster crow, a cow moo, and my most favorite sound of all was the song that the meadowlark sang. The west side of the house was a fun place, too. I loved the old wagon. We liked to play there a lot. It stood between the Hadley and Bibby home. We had hours of fun pretending we were driving the horses. The other side of the house, the east side, took our interest also. They had some iron cots out there. They folded up or down, up when you wanted them bigger. Grandma, sometimes, use to let us sleep on them at night. She made her own blankets out of old coveralls, etc.; and they were heavy and warm. It was much fun to lay on them and look up at the stars and try to find the Milky Way or North Star or imagine whatever else we thought was there. There was also a garden to that side, the east side, of the house. There were many things planted there. The ones I remember most are the strawberries and raspberries. It was a no-no for us to go in there unless Grandma or Grandpa was with us. Also, on the same side, they had dug a dirt cellar in the ground to put things in to keep them from spoiling. The outhouse sits a little ways out from the northeast corner to the back of the house. It was fun to visit because it had so many pictures drawn on the walls. I understand Wilbur, my grandparents’ son, was quite an artist. I thought it was really great. The catalog was always there, too. It was fun to look through, and it also served as toilet paper. The backyard was a delight. We spent lots of hours there. We could gather eggs from the chickens, but the chickens scared me. I also liked to watch them slop the pigs. Another thing I liked to do real well was play in an old car by the barn that was up on blocks. We pretended to drive many miles in that old car. We sometimes squabbled as to who was going to drive. Grandma really got on our case if we didn't get along. Grandpa didn't like us jumping on the hay and knocking the leaves off, so we left that alone. I remember him sitting by the granary smoking his pipe. We weren't allowed in the granary, but he would bring out dried corn and take it off the cob for us to take to Grandma to pop. We also got to take some home. Grandpa always seemed stern and very quiet, but I loved him. He was a good Grandpa. He would go out back and pick watermelons and cantaloupes and take them out front, wash them with the pump water, cut the cantaloupe, split open the watermelon, and cut out the choice part from the center for us to eat and then feed the rest to the hogs. Beyond the cantaloupe and watermelon patch was an apple tree. It seemed like it was further away from the house than anything else. We had to get permission from Grandma to go there. She cautioned us not to pick apples off the tree or throw them around. "Pick them up from off the ground first. A worm hole doesn't matter," she said, "You can cut it out." She didn't believe in being wasteful. Another fun thing in the backyard was a wagon tongue with two big wheels on either side. One of us would sit on the board between the wheels and the other two would try to give us a ride. I can remember Grandma being cross with me several times. One day she gave my sister, Norma, a few currants to eat. I asked for some; and when she gave me a few, I begged for more. She said, "No, you won't eat them." I moaned until she gave me more and went out back to eat them. I found I didn't like them. What do I do? Just as well have fun with them, I thought. There was a small room on the back of the house, probably built on later. I think it had a tin roof. Anyway, I threw them onto the roof one by one watching them roll off until Grandma heard the plink, plink, plink inside of the house and came out on high and really scolded me and gave me the "what for" on waste. It really broke my heart to have her scold me or be angry with me because I loved her so much. Another time Grandma was very angry with me. Sometimes she would not think what she was saying and call me Dorene (Aunt Dora's daughter and my cousin). Finally I said, "I'm not Dorene!" That made Grandma very angry. She said, "Don't be snippety, little Miss Uppity! You're no better than her. I don't like people to think they are better than someone else. She's every bit as nice as you are!" I knew Grandma was really angry with me if she ever called me "Missy" or "Little Miss Uppity." Grandma was good to us. She let us do just about anything we wanted to do as long as we behaved. She let us play the piano. I don't know how she stood that. She baked us good lemon pies and popped us popcorn. She liked to listen to the radio. We listened to "Our Gal, Sunday," "Amos and Andy," and "Lux Radio Theater." I remember Grandma and her clean aprons, her homemade bread and jams and jellies (especially chokecherry), and her holding a loaf of bread against the front of her apron and cutting toward her body. I remember the pump in the kitchen sink. I don't think it was ever hooked up to the ground water because I never saw water come out of it. Water was heated on the stove for dishes, etc. There was a printed cloth hanging in front of the sink, and a bag of apples usually sat under the sink behind that curtain. I remember the front kitchen window had a small strip in squares of either colored or stained glass across the top of the bigger window. Grandma had flowers in pots in front of the windows. She loved flowers and grew some beautiful ones in her time. I can remember in later years when she lived on Healey in Ogden; she grew so many beautiful flowers in her yard. She was always cutting a nice bouquet for neighbors and passersby. They loved her. I remember Grandpa sitting in a corner, southeast by that kitchen window, listening to the radio that sat on a small shelf on the east wall close by. I remember him using his pocketknife a lot to whittle or to peel us an apple. He used it for lots of other things, too. I remember seeing him use a butter knife a lot in his eating. He wore a ring on his middle finger, and he smoked a pipe. He sat over in the corner by the cook stove a lot, too, by the northwest back door. He was a quiet man. I often wondered what he was thinking but didn't dare ask. Grandma used to throw soapy dishwater suds out the back door to clean off the porch. I believe the floor was made of boards. I remember a little roof or lattic work around the porch. The main thing I remember about the front room is the piano. It sat in the northwest end of the room. Grandma was generous with it. Several of the keys would stick, and we would have to pull them back up before we could press them again. I really loved that piano. We all loved that piano. Aunt Elsie Fielding told how they loved it when my dad would come to court Melva because he would play them all kinds of tunes on that piano. They really looked forward to his coming. Grandmother had cats and kittens around a lot. Sometimes when we slept in the front room on a cot, we would wake up in the morning with one of them sitting on us. I remember seeing the little ones playing with Grandma's yarn as she made things. She braided rugs, made quilts, usually out of the best pieces she could salvage out of worn out clothing. Two bedrooms were toward the back of the house. One was off the kitchen and the other was off the front room (you took one step down to each). The one off from the front room had a side door to the east. I think it was so that it would be closer to the outhouse at night. It seems to me like Grandpa had some guns on the wall of one of those bedrooms. After Grandpa was gone, Grandma came to live in a small house her son, Wilbur, had built for her back next to his home. Some of the things that stick out in my mind about Grandma are the different little sayings she had. Two that come to mind: she would ask you to "fetch" something and she would talk about a "speck or spot" of tea. I'll always remember the joy my Grandfather and Grandmother has shown me and my brothers and sisters. I'm looking forward to seeing them again someday.

Life timeline of Rachel Starkey Hadley

Rachel Starkey Hadley was born on 26 Oct 1876
Rachel Starkey Hadley was 9 years old when Louis Pasteur successfully tests his vaccine against rabies on Joseph Meister, a boy who was bitten by a rabid dog. Louis Pasteur was a French biologist, microbiologist and chemist renowned for his discoveries of the principles of vaccination, microbial fermentation and pasteurization. He is remembered for his remarkable breakthroughs in the causes and prevention of diseases, and his discoveries have saved many lives ever since. He reduced mortality from puerperal fever, and created the first vaccines for rabies and anthrax. His medical discoveries provided direct support for the germ theory of disease and its application in clinical medicine. He is best known to the general public for his invention of the technique of treating milk and wine to stop bacterial contamination, a process now called pasteurization. He is regarded as one of the three main founders of bacteriology, together with Ferdinand Cohn and Robert Koch, and is popularly known as the "father of microbiology".
See More
Rachel Starkey Hadley was 19 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
See More
Rachel Starkey Hadley was 32 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
See More
Rachel Starkey Hadley was 40 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
See More
Rachel Starkey Hadley was 53 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
See More
Rachel Starkey Hadley was 63 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
See More
Rachel Starkey Hadley was 68 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
See More
Rachel Starkey Hadley died on 2 Mar 1955 at the age of 78
Grave record for Rachel Starkey Hadley (26 Oct 1876 - 2 Mar 1955), BillionGraves Record 555752 Roy, Weber, Utah, United States