Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page)

12 Feb 1886 - 27 Apr 1965


Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page)

12 Feb 1886 - 27 Apr 1965
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

I, Phillis Louisa Page Palmer, was born of goodly parents, 12 Feb 1886, for which I am very thankful. My father, James Page, was the youngest son and 14th child of James Page and Louisa Graves, who clived in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England most of their married life. Eleven of their 14 children we
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page)
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page)


Dayton Cemetery

Highway 36
Dayton, Franklin, Idaho
United States


September 22, 2013


September 20, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Phillis Louisa...

We found more records about Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page).


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Phillis Louisa


Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page) is buried in the Dayton Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Autobiography of Phillis Louisa Page Palmer

Contributor: BarbaraLeishman Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I, Phillis Louisa Page Palmer, was born of goodly parents, 12 Feb 1886, for which I am very thankful. My father, James Page, was the youngest son and 14th child of James Page and Louisa Graves, who clived in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England most of their married life. Eleven of their 14 children were born there - William, Mariah, Thomas John, Samuel, Louisa 1, Louisa 2nd, Hyrum, Alma, Cyrus, Orsen and Lorenzo. Their second child, Martha was born at Kings Norton, Worchestershire. Hannah Bell was born at sea and died at sea or in New York, and James was born at Bountiful, Davis Co., Utah. Grandfather was a laborer and Grandmother was a guard and watch chain maker. They heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and were baptized 6 June 1848 by Elder Henry Brown and were very faithful in the same. Grandfather blessed, baptized and confirmed many members of the Church having his own children blessed and baptized at the proper times. They finally decided to come to Utah where their children would grow up among the Later-Day Saint people. They set sail 11 May 1860 on the S.S. William Tapscott. Landed the 22 June at Albany, New York. Making 43 days journey from Liverpool, England to Albany, New York with high wind and rain nearly every day. The names and ages of the family when they left England are: James Page 44 yrs, 5 mo. Hyrum Page 8 yrs, 11 mo. Louisa Graves 39 yrs, 9 mo. Alma Page 7 yrs, 6 mo. Martha Page 19 yrs, 3 mo. Cyrus Page 5 yrs, 8 mo. Mariah Page 17 yrs, 11 mo. Orsen Page 3 yrs, 8 mo. Thomas Page 16 yrs, 9 mo. Lorenzo Page 1 yr, 9 mo. William did not come with them and 3 children had died in infancy. They arrived in Utah and settled in Bountiful, Davis Co., Utah. Times were rather hard. Living quarters were crowded and conditions were not as they had expected. Grandmother died 22 Mar 1864. They were living in a large 1 room house with William and his wife who gave birth to a girl the next morning in another corner of the room. After his wife's death, Grandfather seemed very unsettled. He married again 8 Sept 1865 in Utah. Left Utah in April 1866. Set sail for England 21 Oct 1866. Took two of the boys with him. He returned and married a 3rd wife. Died in Lamoni, Decatur, Iowa Oct. 1891 or 6 Jun 1892. Martha married William Waddoups 27 Nov 1864 and took my father, James, to live with them. Although conditions were poor and sometimes there was not much to eat my father lived with them until he was married 12 Dec 1884. When he went out to work he took his wages home to Uncle Will to help with the living. He got very little schooling. My mother, Emma Kemp, was the youngest of a family of 10 children, all of whom were born in East Ruston, Norfolk, England. They are: Isaiah, John, George, James, Rachel, Samuel, Sarah Ann, Edward, Naomi, and Emma, my mother. My Grandfather, John Kemp and Grandmother Phillis Green, were very industrious, hard working people. He worked for a farmer, Mr. Atle and Grandmother helped his wife with the cooking, ect. on special occasions and was given a portion of food to take home to her family. The Latter-Day Saint missionaries taught them the Gospel which they believed and accepted and were Baptized in April 1848. They became zealous workers in the Church. He acted as Pres. of the North Walsham Branch in Norwich Conference. His wages were barely enough for his family to live on but the Elders promised him that if payed an honest tithing he would someday be able to take his family to Utah. After he joined the Church the people who worked with him laughed at him and made life so miserable for him that he quit the job, not knowing here he could get another job. This was Sat. night. On Monday morning, Mr. Atle, came to ask him to go back to work. After some persuasion and a promise of a raise in wages and better treatment went back to work. The raise was just enough to pay his tithing and the men treated him well from then on and finally he was able to bring his family to Utah. They came to American in 1871. Lived in Riverdale near Ogden 4 years and then moved on to Lewiston, Cache Co., Utah, where they spent the remainder of their lives. Isaiah and George were married and did not come with them.

Autobiography of Phillis Louise Page Palmer (2)

Contributor: BarbaraLeishman Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I, Phillis Louisa Page, was born 12 Feb 1886 at Lewiston, Cache Co., Utah in a one room house 2 miles west of the little town of Lewiston, across the road west of the Old Grindstone school house in what later became the Ward. My father obtained this piece of land for a horse and saddle and built a house upon it. My father, James page, born 12 Feb 162 in Bountiful, Davis, Utah. He was the 14th child of James Page and Louisa Graves who left England 11 May 1860 and came to this country in 15 Jun 1860 and settled in Bountiful, Utah. He was the youngest child born in America. My mother, Emma Kemp, born 11 Jun 1867, the 10th and youngest child of John Kemp and Phillis Green who left England in 1863 and arrived in America in 1863. They lived at Riverdale, Weber Co., Utah a short time then moved to Lewiston, Cache, Utah and lived 3 miles west of town. We lived here in Lewiston until I was about 7 years old then my father homesteaded a piece of land in the mouth of Dayton Canyon and we moved there into a one room, log, dirt roofed house at the foot of a mountain. It was not long until my father built a nice 3 room sawed log house. We carried water from a spring a short way up a hollow at the south of the house. I was baptized by Charles F. Chadwick, on my birthday 12 Feb 1894 in Bear River 3 or 4 miles East of where we lived. The River was nearly frozen over with ice but there was a place where the water ran faster that was not frozen over and I, with several others, were baptized there. We changed our clothes in a covered sleigh. There was lots of snow and it was cold but no harm came to us. I was blessed 11 Apr 1886 by G. E. Layne Guinter. I acted as teacher in Primary and Religion class at a very early age. When I graduated from the district school that seemed to be the end of my school days. But just a week after school started in the O.S.A. Brother Chadwick met my father and said, "Why don't you send Phillis to Preston to school? My daughter May (who was my friend) is going and she is so lonely. I wish you would send Phillis and they'd be company for each other." He offered to lend my father $100 to pay my expenses. So it was decided that I would go to school at the O.S.A. at Preston, Idaho, which made me very happy. I took the three year Normal Course and graduated in 1906. We boarded the first year with Sister Mary E. Dalley (after that my sister went too and we rented a room) and I got through with just a few dollars more than the $100. I enjoyed my schooling at the Academy very much and I also enjoyed attending Sacrament Service in the 1st Ward in Preston. The 1st year I was in a class with Olive Hansen, Edna Johnson, Harrison R. Merrill, Harrison Maughan, Maggie Perkins, Esther Morrison, Thomas Stokes, Melvin Bishop, May Chadwick, and Matthew Nelson. Mose of these students graduated in 1906. We didn't have much recreation. We were allowed one dance in two weeks by the rules of the school. But if we went home for weekends and there was a dance we went to the dance and then reported it to the Principal before school Monday morning. William Palmer was among a group who met at our place before the graduation dance and he took me to the dance. That was our first time out together but we kept on going together for a little more than a year and were married 12 June 1907 in the LDS Temple in Logan, Utah. Sewing was one of my subjects at school so, of course, I made my graduation dress which was of white dotted Swiss. I also made my wedding dress which was of sor of peach-color crepe. During my first year at school, Patriarch John Smith visited Stake Conference at Preston and he gave me a Patriarchal Blessing which has been a great comfort and inspiration to me. Commencing 9 Sept. I taught school at Weston, Idaho for $65 a month and paid $12 for board at Sister Gasman's. I taught Beginner's 1st, and 2nd grades in the Relief Society house of one room. I enjoyed my work and was happy to see the progress of the children. At the time of my marriage I was president of the L.M.I.A. and Secretary of the S..S. in the Dayton Ward. Harrison R. Merril and Edna Johnson visited our ward one Sunday in the interest of the Mutuals and had supper with us in our huble abode of a one-room, dirt roofed, log house. He complimented me on the meal. We lived in this place only a few months then moved to Lewiston, Utah where he worked in the Sugar Factory. We lived that winter in one room of the house where his sister Lizzie and Tom Bowden lived. I learned to love her very much. She was very kind and good to me. From there we moved across the road into the house my grandparents had built and lived in it. It was now owned by my cousin Alvin Orchard. There our first child, James William, was born the 1st of May 1908 in Lewiston, Cache County, Utah. Sister Jensen was the midwife. We moved around from place to place where ever my husband could find work. He worked for the Sugar Company in winters and for farmers during the summer. Our second son, John Sylvan, was born in Dayton, Franklin County, Idaho 24 Jul 1909 in the same house where we had at first lived with a room added. Sister Sarah Phillys attended us but had to get the help of Dr. Weber of Preston. Roscoe Malcolm, our third child was born in Lewiston, Utah in a house on Dopp farm two to three miles south 3rd Ward Church house. Then we moved into the house that my father had built and lived in it. One room had been added. Our first daughter, Ruby Gedida was born here. There was a nice orchard and strawberry patch on this place and plenty of room for a garden. It was here that our second son, John Sylvan, was drowned in a large barrel 11 May 1912. We were planting potatoes when we missed him. After hunting everywhere, two ladies Fanny Kent and Sister Karren were passing by in a buggy. We asked them if they had seen him but they hadn't. After going a short distance they returned to help find him. One of them walked right to the barrel in which was some pig feed and lifted him out. We had walked by the barrel many times but had not thought to look in. It was too high for him to get in but there was a big candy bucket upside down beside the barrel and a little bucket in it. We think he had put the bucket there, climbed onto it and kicked against the picket fence to get some feed for the chickens (which he had tried to do before) and over-balanced and fell into about two feet of bran and water. There was no sign of life so we figured he had been there about half an hour. The funeral was held in Lewiston 3rd Ward and he was buried in the Dayton cemetery on my father's lot. Then in about five months on 10 October 1912 there came to our home a little red headed girl. We called her Ruby Gedida. In June of 1911 we took a trip out to Holbrook to see some of Will's folks, Frank Thompson, his sons Silas and Arvil and a daughter Pearl Richardson. while out there they talked him into investigating a piece of land that would be fore homesteading. Finally he settled on the land and spent part of the summer there working for his brother, Fred, for a set of logs to guild a house on it with. He went out there again in January to get the house ready and I, with the three children went to live with my father and mother. We were there about four months and then moved out to Holbrook to live upon the homestead in a one-room log house. I was happy to live in our very own house, even if it was small. We soon added two rooms onto it. This was a new life for us, real inspiring. The land all had to be cleared of sagebrush, which in time was accomplished. We landed out there with a cow, furniture, three horses and a wagon, canned fruit and vegetables, flour, meat, and $14. I felt that the Lord was watching over us. When we ran out of supplies, Will could find a job for a few days to earn money to go on with. And we never went hungry. The way was opened for us to live and get our land cleared and planted to wheat, a little at a time down through the years. Still our family grew. We moved to Malad for the winter of 1913-14 where Melvin Page, a baby with black hair was born 19 Dec 1914. Will got work hauling posts to Cache Valley and trading them for potatoes and vegetables which he sold in Malad Valley and got enough money to keep us over the winter. The Lord was always watching over us and provided a way. We returned to Holbrook in the spring to go on farming and raising our family. In November 1916, we got a midwife, Sister Hutchinson came and lived with us a few weeks. About one o'clock on 23 November we got up. The midwife laid her ands on my head (which the Priesthood had given her authority to do) and I felt an influence go through my body. All was peace and quiet and the baby, Ruth Page, was born and we were all back to bed by five o'clock in the morning. It was a nice little girl with red hair. Jarvis Page, a fine little boy with black hair was also born on the ranch on 9 Sept 1918. At that time that bad influenza was prevalent and no church was held so he was not blessed in church until 1919. However, he was given a father's blessing and name at 8 days as were all our other children. De Lamar came on the 15 July 1920. He too was born on the ranch 1 1/2 hours before the doctor arrived. Aunt Elta Thompson came 45 minutes after he arrived to help us. Everything was O.K. when the doctor came. His hair was red. Another little red-headed boy came 28 June 1922 to our home on the ranch. We named him Darrel Page. It was hard to get household help then so Ruby did the work. Sister Peterson helped with the baby and mother. Lavon Page was born 10 September 1926, a pretty little red-headed boy. Our youngest boy, Douglas Page, was born 21 July 1927. He was our largest baby. "16 lbs." the doctor and Will both said when he was weighed. He was a nice looking black-headed boy born on the ranch too. On the 3 October 1930, a dear little black-haired girl came to our home in Holbrook. Ruby chose the name Willa Gae for her. We were thankful for this little girl, after having five boys all in a row. She is our 12th child.

Life timeline of Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page)

Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page) was born on 12 Feb 1886
Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page) was 7 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page) was 20 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page) was 31 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page) was 44 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page) was 54 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page) was 54 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page) was 72 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page) died on 27 Apr 1965 at the age of 79
Grave record for Phillis Louisa Palmer (Page) (12 Feb 1886 - 27 Apr 1965), BillionGraves Record 5231202 Dayton, Franklin, Idaho, United States