Philip Dance

1860 - 1951


Philip Dance

1860 - 1951
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

A little of Grandpa Dance's life as he told it to me (Lillie Noack Dance) one day. He was born in Green Hill, Durham County, England, then moved to Hairhill. While he was a small boy his Grandfather lived with them. He belonged to the L.D.S. church, the only one on the Dance side. He (Philip's Grand
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Philip Dance
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Philip Dance


Riverside Thomas Cemetery

939-949 State Highway 39
Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho
United States


February 27, 2018


February 13, 2018

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Philip...

We found more records about Philip Dance.

Grave Site of Philip


Philip Dance is buried in the Riverside Thomas Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Contributor: orcinuscmm Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

A little of Grandpa Dance's life as he told it to me (Lillie Noack Dance) one day. He was born in Green Hill, Durham County, England, then moved to Hairhill. While he was a small boy his Grandfather lived with them. He belonged to the L.D.S. church, the only one on the Dance side. He (Philip's Grandfather) died at age 85 at Hairhill and was buried at Chadsworth Cemetery, Church of England. Philip's folks were buried there too, his brother, William John, and his five-year-old sister, Mary Ann. Grandpa was about 13 years old when his Father died. His Mother sold their farm and she and Grandpa, his brother, Harry, and sister, Sarah Jane, came to America in 1874. After two or three weeks on the ocean they came direct to Utah from New York on the train. The first watermelon Grandpa ever saw was on the ship for they came as first class passengers. Grandpa hurried in the mornings to get out on deck or else he was sick. Grandpa's Mother joined the church after her marriage but his Father never did. The Elder's visited and stayed with them often. One missionary, Elder Hart, who knew the Dance family and stayed with them some, upon his return home purchased a farm for Grandpa's Mother and her children in West Weber, and they moved directly to it when they came to Utah. She had quite a lot of money and she also bought a lot and a house in Ogden which she rented. At one time when she first came she loaned President Brigham Young three or four hundred dollars, all of which was paid back to her. After a few years she married John Isaac Hart (the same missionary Hart who purchased the farm for her) and she was his 4th or 5th wife in polygamy. Hart went on another mission to England but had spent most of Grandpa's Mother's money for his other families before he went. Hart brought a girl home with him from England, married her, and went to live in Colorado and never lived with his wives in Utah after that. Grandpa's Mother and Hart were divorced (Church divorce). She died in West Weber on her farm. Grandpa married and lived for a time in West Weber, sold his farm and moved to Wilson, Idaho and then moved to Blackfoot, just a few miles away in 1900. He lived a year in Riverside, then purchased a farm in Thomas where he resided with his family until he passed away at age (almost) 91. Grandpa said he attended school at Hetton, England and went to school in the summer time. He rode a pony to and from school and they dug coal right under their farm. Their mines in England were right under their farms.

Frances Dance Part 11: The Golden Years and Opportunities for Travel

Contributor: orcinuscmm Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Continued from Part 10 My father’s birthday is on Nov. 23 so in 1950 it came on Thanksgiving day and he was 90 years old so we had a family reunion in the gym at the Thomas High School and every one brought their Thanksgiving dinners and we all had a good time and most all of his families were in attendance from other towns where they live as well as those in our community and I am sure we were all glad we celebrated that birthday because he passed away the following year on Feb. 18, 1951 and was buried in the Riverside-Thomas cemetery. In 1955-56 Leo was a Senator from Bingham County in the legislature and he had been going down there for the past 18 years and after our family were all married I went down there with him and we rented an apartment to live in and the legislatures wives had an organization and had a meeting once a week, we had lunch and a program and book reviews and different kinds of entertainment so the year 1955 and 1956 I was chosen Vice President of the ladies organization and Mrs. Keithly from Washington Co. North Idaho was President, she was a very nice person to work with and we enjoyed our association together very much. In 1953 on Dec. 20 Leo’s mother passed away in the Bannock Memorial Hospital, she hadn’t been dry well for some time and had been living with each of her children for the past few years so now both of each of our parents were gone. Ever since the 2nd world war was over and we thought about losing our son Wayne, Leo had been wanting to go over to Europe so the last year we were at the legislature we made good friends with Dean and Estella Orme who were down there from St. Anthony also at the legislature and we decided to make the trip to Europe, so on Monday May 10, 1954, the beginning of a wonderful trip. … [Several pages of journaling from the trip are included in the life history at this point, but I have recorded that separately.] … We decided our family had things well under control, as Reed, Clinton and boys had all the first crop hay in the stack and that was earlier than they usually have it taken care of when we are home. One of Wayne’s crew members, Art Roswell, who was on the plane when it was shot down over Germany, and his wife came to see us while we were in Europe. We were sorry we didn’t get to see them, but the family talked to them and entertained them and let them stay in our home over night while we were gone. We spent the rest of the summer taking care of our lawn and garden. Leo had plenty of work to do helping the boys irrigate and take care of the crops the rest of the summer and fall, and the cattle in the winter. Another trip we enjoyed with Dean and Estella Orme was when we went back to the Dacotas to see the Passion Play in the evening, held outside on a hillside, portraying the trials of the Savior and events at different times in his life. We visited desolate pine clad black hills of South Dakota rising from the Western plains. The hills are visited by one million tourists every year. Here stands 6,000 foot Mount Rushmore on whose smooth granite walls a team of sculptors led by Gutzon Borglum labored 14 years to blast, drill the faces of four U.S. Presidents, Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Theodore Roosevelt, each face measuring some 60 feet from chin to forehead. There was a museum near by and father on the Indian villages where they were living and where they were having trouble with the white people living close by. We decided to follow the pioneer trail home, and by doing that we could see how difficult it was for them, and there were many graves along the way. As we came through Wyoming there is a hill or a big stone or pillar of rock by the side of the road where there were graves and the pioneers had carved their names on the sides, and as we were reading the names we found Leo’s Grandfather’s Name, Lewis Dunbar Wilson among the names on the rock, and in his history of his life he tells about being to Joseph Smith’s home and sitting on his lap while he told them stories. His father was one of Joseph Smith’s body guards and he gave his father his sword, and it has been handed down to his son and grandsons and is still in the family. As we followed the trail we passed many graves along the way and we could see how it was so difficult for them to reach Salt Lake Valley. My Great Grandfather Willard Snow and his wife Amanda Melvina Snow also came across the plains and arrived in Salt Lake City in 1847. So our parents were born in Utah and then came to Idaho in the 1900’s. In 1965 our friends the Ormes and us decided we would like to make a trip to the Hawaiian Islands, so we made arrangements at Idaho Falls to fly there, and so in a day or so we boarded a plane at Idaho Falls at 2:00 and arrived in Honolulu at 12:00 in time for dinner. We spent about a week there and visited all the different Islands and the pineapple plantations and were shown through the factory where they can the pineapple and gave us samples to eat off the different ways they used them. We picked coconuts off the coconut trees and other kinds of fruits growing there. Dean and Estella had a relative living there and they invited us out to their house one day for dinner, and then took us on a sight seeing trip around part of the country and to the beach at Waikiki and the Hawaiian garden and we went to a native Hawaiian Luau and sampled their food. Charles Wood, son of Owen and Phelma Wood, was serving a mission there and one day we met them in a cafe and he wanted to take us sight seeing in their car, so the next day we invited them to dinner with us and then they took us around to the church school in Hawaii and other interesting places. We also attended church services on Sunday in one of the wards. Marie Anderson’s daughter, Ila Marie, married Joseph Hoapi, and they live in Hawaii. They invited us to their home one evening and we enjoyed the visit very much and they made arrangements to take us to the Temple in Hawaii the next day. The temple isn’t as modern as the new ones in our country, but it was still very nice and they have since started remodeling the temple. They took ust to the cemetery where many of the soldiers of World War Two were buried in one part of the cemetery. We walked along the beach where the waved rolled up on shot so far we had to back up to keep from getting wet. We attended several entertainments where the Hawaiian boys and girls would go through their different dances and songs in very beautiful consumes of all different colors that they wear, and it was very entertaining as well as educational to learn about their way of life and things they enjoy. One day we hired a small car and drove all alone on one side of the small Islands and we could stop and see all the places that were interesting to us. We also went to the tourist attractions, but the names of the places I have forgotten a lot of them now, but I can still remember what they looked like. I wish I had written a diary of each day, but it seemed e were so busy all the time, we didn’t have much time to write, and I suppose that will be the last journey we will make. We have traveled to many of the states while Leo was one of the directors in the Production Credit Association and the Reclamation Association where they held their annual meetings in different states each year. Our daughter, Wilma, lived in Las Vegas, Nevada, for many years and we often wen tot see her and her family. Now they have moved to Reno, Nevada, and last April 1975 we made a trip to see them in their new home and they have a nice large house and garden spot there. We have visited our daughter Elaine and her family in Omaha, Nebraska, since they over there and now I suppose our traveling days are bout over as we are getting most too old to drive the car long distances and we enjoy going in the car as we can take our time and stop where we wish. So from here on we will try to be contented taking care of our home and garden and trying to be helpful to the family. After 63 years of married life we are still happy and love each other very much and try to be contented at home in taking care of each other and enjoying our family. March 12, 1976.

Life timeline of Philip Dance

Philip Dance was born in 1860
Philip Dance was 14 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Philip Dance was 23 years old when Eruption of Krakatoa: Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa in the Dutch East Indies began in the afternoon of Sunday, 26 August 1883, and peaked in the late morning of Monday, 27 August when over 70% of the island and its surrounding archipelago were destroyed as it collapsed into a caldera. Additional seismic activity was reported to have continued until February 1884, though reports of seismic activity after October 1883 were later dismissed by Rogier Verbeek's investigation into the eruption. The 1883 eruption was one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events in recorded history. At least 36,417 deaths are attributed to the eruption and the tsunamis it created. Significant additional effects were also felt around the world in the days and weeks after the volcano's eruption.
Philip Dance was 38 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
Philip Dance was 45 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Philip Dance was 52 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Philip Dance was 60 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Philip Dance was 79 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Philip Dance was 85 years old when World War II: German forces in the west agree to an unconditional surrender. The German Instrument of Surrender ended World War II in Europe. The definitive text was signed in Karlshorst, Berlin, on the night of 8 May 1945 by representatives of the three armed services of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW) and the Allied Expeditionary Force together with the Supreme High Command of the Red Army, with further French and US representatives signing as witnesses. The signing took place 9 May 1945 at 00:16 local time.
Philip Dance died in 1951 at the age of 91
Grave record for Philip Dance (1860 - 1951), BillionGraves Record 26080663 Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States