Parley P. Fackrell

1873 - 1957


Parley P. Fackrell

1873 - 1957
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

HISTORY OF PARLEY PROCTOR FACKRELL Prepared by Marley L. Fackrell, Grandnephew Parley Proctor Fackrell was born 13 May 1873 at Mt. Carmel, Kane County, Utah, the son of David Bancroft Fackrell and Hannah Elizabeth Proctor. He married Anneliza Probst, 7 Dec. 1892 in the Manti Temple. She was the daug
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Parley P. Fackrell
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Parley P. Fackrell


Riverside Thomas Cemetery

939-949 State Highway 39
Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho
United States


November 4, 2013


July 22, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Parley P....

We found more records about Parley P. Fackrell.

Grave Site of Parley P.


Parley P. Fackrell is buried in the Riverside Thomas Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Parley Proctor Fackrell

Contributor: tecknicaltom Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

HISTORY OF PARLEY PROCTOR FACKRELL Prepared by Marley L. Fackrell, Grandnephew Parley Proctor Fackrell was born 13 May 1873 at Mt. Carmel, Kane County, Utah, the son of David Bancroft Fackrell and Hannah Elizabeth Proctor. He married Anneliza Probst, 7 Dec. 1892 in the Manti Temple. She was the daughter of Fred and Rosina Fisher Probst. Parley and Anneliza were the parents of four children: Parley Sanford Fackrell, born 28 Sept. 1893. He lived only a short time, passing away on 8 Feb. 1894. Leo Fackrell, born 1 Feb. 1895 and later marrying Mary Smith of Salt Lake City, Utah. David Ruel, Fackrell born 19 Dec. 1896, married Mildred Wixtrum 1 July 1918. Fred Fackrell, who died at birth. Parley and his family lived in Orderville, Kane County, Utah until 1898, when they moved from Orderville and settled in Thomas, Bingham County, Idaho. The People’s Canal had not been completed at this time, so Parley worked on the canal and at other odd jobs until the water was down to his place. He then began farming his land. His wife, Anneliza, died on 6 Sept. 1901 and was buried in the Riverside-Thomas Cemetery. After the death of Anneliza, Parley married a young widow with two small children, Lucy Williams Hemmingway. Lucy was the daughter of David E. and Margaret Reese Williams. Lucy was born 27 January 1878. Parley and Lucy were blessed with five children: Ernest Frank Fackrell. Born 3 Nov, 1908. Edward Glen Fackrell. Born 27 July 1910. Clarence Heber Fackrell. Born 25 March 1912 and who died 18 March 1913. Margaret Amy Fackrell. Born 19 September 1913 and died 5 August 1914. Lucy Ann Fackrell. Born 29 May 1915 and died 25 July 1920. His wife, Lucy, died 29 Oct. 1918 and she and the three children are buried in the Riverside-Thomas Cemetery. On 30 October 1920, Parley married Rachel Reese, who was born in Cedar City, Iron County, Utah, 11 Jan. 1894. They had seven children who were all born in Thomas, Idaho: Dean Reese Fackrell. Born 3 Dec.1921 and died in 1943. Clifta Fackrell. Born 23 Feb. 1923 and died 14 July 1927. Vern Reese Fackrell. (twin) Born 7 Oct. 1925. Von Reese Fackrell. (twin) Born 7 Oct. 1925. Died in Oct. 1932. John Reese Fackrell. Born 12 Sept. 1928. Died 5 July 1932. Selma Fackrell. Born 4 Feb. 1932. Rachel Elizabeth Fackrell. Born 17 June 1935. After Parley retired, he moved to Blackfoot, Bingham County, Idaho, where he lived until his death 8 May 1957.

Life of Parley Proctor Fackrell

Contributor: tecknicaltom Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Parley Proctor Fackrell was born at Mt. Carmel, Territory of Utah, on 13 May 1873, at 6:00 a.m., the fourth child of David Bancroft Fackrell and Hannah Proctor. His parents were living in a log cabin and farming in this small valley in southern Utah. They had been there just two years when he was born. They had settled in this place in company with other families from the Muddy Mission when the mission was abandoned. In 1874 the United Order was formed, and because of land ownership disputes at Mt. Carmel, those who wished to join the Order moved about two miles north and named their new town Orderville. It was here in Orderville that Parley grew up as part of a large extended family and very close-knit community. The lessons and values learned here in this community would influence him and his family for all of their lives. They were always very generous in helping each other when they could. Parley attended the United Order school beginning at age five, and the school was in session for about three or four months of the year. The children received about a third grade education, but were fortunate in their parents who were able to teach them and believed they should be as well educated as possible. The school teachers were very competent for a community so small and even though the school years were limited the children received a good basic education. Classes were offered at night for anyone who wished to have more schooling. At a fairly early age the boys and girls were assigned jobs within the community. The boys herded sheep and helped on the farms; one year the Fackrell family was in charge of the dairy which furnished milk, butter and cheese for the community. Parley at a very early age was a sheep-herder. His brother Trene told his family about spending the summer at age eight out in the hills herding sheep. When asked if they were frightened to be so far away from his family when he was so young he replied, "Of course not, my brother, Parley, was with me and he was eleven". Their father checked on them regularly and brought provisions. There was a good bit of fun and mischief went on, too. Monte Fackrell, Parley’s nephew, tells a story about Parley and some of his friends playing a trick on a blind man who walked with a cane. It seems the man followed a certain path and when the boys saw him walking along the path decided that Parley should lie down across the path in front of the man and trip him. Parley did so, but it seems the man was not as blind as they thought because when he approached Parley he drew back his foot and kicked him. The Fackrell boys probably engaged in their fair share of "high spirits" in the community. Parley’s name appears on a list of those baptized on 24 July 1881. In 1884 it was decided that the Orderville United Order should draw up Articles of Incorporation and register as a Corporation so as to have legal standing. Parley was one of those signing the Articles. On 7 December 1892, when Parley was nineteen years old, he married Ann Eliza Probst in the Manti Temple. Ann Eliza was born 11 March 1875 in Berne, Switzerland, to Fred Probst and Rosina Fisher. The trip to the Manti Temple took five days and it is likely that they traveled by horse and buggy. Three children were born to Parley and Ann Eliza in Orderville. Their first child, Parley Sanford, died there when less than a year old. In the fall of 1897 Parley, Ann Eliza, and their two children, Leo and Reuel, moved to Idaho. Parley’s brother, Fernando, and his family moved from Orderville to Riverside, Idaho earlier in the spring and Parley decided to come to Idaho also. Fernando had originally planned to go to Basalt where some other people from Orderville had settled, but met Robert Parsons, Hettie Fackrell’s father, who was on his way to Pocatello. He told them about land west of Blackfoot and convinced them that they should settle there. Fernando settled at Riverside and Parley when he arrived later in the fall settled in Thomas. In a letter dated 20 February 1956, Parley’s sister-in-law, Hettie Fackrell, wrote, "Parley located about a mile west of the present Thomas town. Not many people around there at that time. John Watsons were near there. At once they took on the pioneering spirit. The problem (was), ways and means to get the waterways established. He knew there was a big future in that area once that was accomplished. At once he did a big part on ditches, canals, sloughs, etc. Parley was president of the Duncan Ditch, Secretary of the Watson Slough Irrigation Company, and also worked on the American Falls Canal for a time. Money was not too plentiful for any of the early pioneers at that time, but all felt encouraged and knew there were great possibilities ahead." Parley built a two room house for his family. When Parley moved to Thomas the canals had been surveyed, but not completed and it was not until 1901 that the People’s Canal under which he received his irrigation water was finished. Thomas Williams wrote, "Many people came and homesteaded the land in this part of the Ward as soon as the People’s Canal was surveyed and they were certain they could get water on their land which was in 1895 and 1896. . . . While the canal was being constructed many people lived on their homesteads and worked on the canal while some worked in the mines or on the railroad and still others freighted to provide a living for their families until they could produce crops. Some cleared the brush from their land and grew a little dry farm grain, but as soon as the water came abundant crops were produced and a thriving community grew." Ann Eliza lived just long enough to see the canal completed. She died 6 September 1901 and left behind two small boys. There was one other child who did not live, a boy named Fred, born to Parley and Ann Eliza while they lived in Thomas. No birth or death date is available for this son. Ann Eliza is buried in the Thomas-Riverside Cemetery. Parley’s brother Dolph moved to Idaho in August of 1903. He and his wife Nellie and their baby daughter moved in with Parley and helped him care for his two small sons. On 16 April 1904 while they lived with Parley, a son was born to Dolph and Nellie, and by October of that year Dolph had completed his own house and he and Nellie moved out to their own homestead about one and a half miles distant. Parley’s children were not long without a mother, for on 26 December 1904, Parley married Lucy Williams, a widow with two small children. Parley’s next move was to property west of Rockford. This land was desert land, but it had been surveyed and the expectation was that it could be irrigated by water brought by canals from the Snake River. While canals and flumes were being built the land was planted to dry-farm grain with fair success. The years from 1910 to 1918 saw higher than average rainfall, so the land produced well and the price for grain was high. Water, however was always a problem. Parley did have a well for culinary use and to water his stock, but many of his neighbors had to transport all of the water they used. Parley and Lucy built a nice house on this property. They were visited there by Parley’s nephew, Lewis, and his ten-year-old daughter Thelda. Thelda described the house, "It was a nice house with a porch around it and inside were vases with pheasant feathers in them." Five children were born to Parley and Lucy. Of these five children only two survived childhood, Ernest Frank and Edward Glenn. Lucy lived until 1918 when she contracted Spanish Influenza during the terrible epidemic of 1917-1918. She died 29 October 1918 and is buried in the Thomas-Riverside Cemetery. Her step-son Leo, was serving in the U.S. Army in France at the time of her death. Two years later Parley married for a third time. This marriage was to Rachel Reese on 30 October 1920. Rachel was the daughter of Hyrum Reese and Elizabeth Adams and was born 11 January 1894, in Cedar City, UT. Just three months previous to Parley’s marriage he lost his daughter, Anna, in a tragic accident. Anna’s older brother Glenn was climbing the derrick pole and Anna started up after him. To discourage her, he started throwing lighted matches down on her and her dress caught fire. She ran to the house with her clothing aflame, and Rachel in order to put out the fire threw a bucket of kitchen slops that was sitting by the door, on Anna. It doused the flames, but Anna was badly burned and lived only three days after the incident. In about 1919 the higher than average rainfall was replaced by drought and even though the canals and ditches on the desert land were completed water would not run in them. Even the jack-rabbits on the desert couldn’t find enough to eat and came in hordes to devour what crops had been planted. There were very few crops harvested in 1919. Parley hung on to his farm for a few years longer, but finally left and moved about a half-mile east and one mile south of Thomas to a small acreage which barely provided a living. Parley’s personal tragedies were not ended yet. His and Rachel’s first child, Dean Reese, contracted polio at age three and was both physically and mentally handicapped. The polio affected one side of his body, causing one hand to draw up and the leg on the same side was much shorter than the other. He did learn how to walk, but at age fifteen he was placed in a home for the handicapped in Nampa, ID, and he stayed there until he died at age twenty-two. Their second daughter, Clifta, died of heart disease when she was six. The next birth was twins, Vern and Von. Von died from heart disease just days after his seventh birthday in the same year that their fifth child, John, died of the flu. John had been ill just a couple of days and Rachel called the doctor. He promised to come the next morning, but John died before he arrived. Of their seven children only three, Vern, Selma and Rachel, survived to adulthood and married. Parley and Rachel eventually divorced and Rachel married Parley’s nephew, Theron Fackrell. With his children grown up and gone from home, Parley retired from his farm and moved to Blackfoot in a house near his brother, Trene. The house was without heat, so Parley spent a good bit of time downtown in the daytime during the winter to keep warm and then would go home, pile on the quilts and sleep at night. His nephew, Monte, and Monte’s wife, Ida, felt that because of his age this was too hard on Parley, so they invited him to come and live with them in a spare room in their home above their store. One morning Parley announced that he had a dream in which his wife, Lucy, appeared at his bedside, with two men standing at the door with her. Lucy said, "Parley, it is time for you to come home." Parley packed his bags and went to visit his sons, Frank and Glenn, visited in Utah along the way, and then stopped to see his stepson, Lachoneus, in Pocatello. While there he fell through an open door down a flight of stairs leading to the basement and was injured badly. Not knowing what to do they took him back to Ida’s house; she treated his injuries as best she could and then called Parley’s daughter, Selma, who took him to the hospital. He died two days later on 8 May 1957, just a few days short of eighty-four years. He is buried in the Riverside-Thomas Cemetery. Lewis Fackrell, who visited his uncle Parley often, told his own children on many occasions that he felt sorrier for Uncle Parley than anyone he knew because more of his family were in the cemetery than were living. Lewis and Parley’s son, Leo, served together throughout World War I and Lewis mentioned Parley often in his letters. On one occasion he mentioned that Parley had sent him two dollars for Christmas which he appreciated very much. Parley’s nephew, Monte Fackrell, tells a great story about Parley and his horse. It seems that Parley’s horse was sick and he called the vet to come and treat the horse. The vet prescribed pills for the horse and Parley had never given a pill to a horse, so asked the vet how to do that. The vet explained that you rolled a newspaper into a tube, inserted it into the horses throat, dropped in the pill, then blew on the tube to force the pill down the horses throat. Parley followed these instructions and completed them to the point where you blew into the tube. Evidently he had pushed the tube too far into the horse’s throat, because as he inhaled to blow into the tube the horse coughed and Parley got the pill.

Memories of Parley Proctor Fackrell

Contributor: tecknicaltom Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

By Vern R. Fackrell The following are some incidents that I remember to help illustrate some characteristics of my dad: I am not sure if they were going to milk the cows or if they had came to the house to empty the milk before going to finish milking. Seems that I remember them straining the milk into the milk cans at the time. It was Dad and Leo who had harmonicas and I remember them playing "Turkey in the Straw" and some other tunes. Frank and Glenn were there and they sang some songs together and also Dad joined in with them on some, and I thought they were pretty good. Dad and Glenn used to go to the lavas after fire wood. Sometimes the snow would be quite deep, because they always got the crops and farming done first. One time there was a near tragic accident as they were getting the wood out. Glenn, using the horses to drag the wood out, had several of the logs chained together, after chopping them down, and was dragging them out of a small crater and up the quite steep embankment. As the horses started up the embankment, they lunged and clamored to get up the hill with their load. Just then Glenn lost his footing and fell down alongside of the wood. And the horses kept on going and it nearly crushed him between the wood and the bank. That time they came home with a part of a load of wood. Glenn was really hurt badly, but he healed up with no broken bones. That was a real blessing, because the way they described the situation, he could have lost his life very easily. Dad was quite a gentle person. I do remember a few times when I provoked him until his temper was flared up at me. I remember sitting on his lap in front of the warm stove in our living room, (I really used to like to do that ). There he would tell me about the old days or sing some old songs I liked to hear. He really enjoyed talking about the way things used to be. He told me about herding the sheep during the order in Orderville. He said that when he was about seventeen years old, he had a fiery red beard while out with the sheep and people he saw thought he was much older than he was. He told of a time, herding sheep, that he had been through a very long day and it was cold and very wet. So he was very tired, cold and wet. It seems that he told us that it was in the afternoon and he just lay down like he was, on a pile of quilts and coats and fell asleep. After some time he woke up and he couldn't move a muscle. He described it as the blood had settled in his back and made him paralyzed. He could see but he couldn't move, and he was really afraid that he was really doomed then and there. It seems that he told us that someone came along and helped him or he may not have survived the situation. Once he told me of a time when some older boys were having some fun with him, teasing and trying to scare him. They put Dad on a spring seat of a wagon, drawn by some very spirited horses. They tied him to the spring seat and tied one end of a lariat rope around his waist, and then with the other end of the rope, they made a lariat loop and was trying to lasso the fence posts as they were galloping down the road. Dad said that if they had caught a fence post, it would have torn him in half, and they almost did lasso some of the posts, I remember how Dad would cringe when he would think about it. I was about eight or nine years old when I went with Dad to move a garage in from the place out on the desert west of Rockford. He moved it in to our home - a half mile east and a mile south of the Thomas town site. I remember how it seemed so very far out there, and it was so desolate and eerie feeling out there. And it seemed to me that the wind whined and whistled out there all the time. There was also a house out there that Dad had built, and someone kept taking pieces and parts off from it and hauling it away. Dad thought he knew who was taking it, but he couldn't catch them as they would take it mostly at night and he couldn't prove any thing. So Dad lost quite a large investment in that homestead at Rockford. Dad was about 52 years old when I was born. So much of his life had happened when I was born. He ran a forty acre farm at our place in Thomas. Then when Hazel and Chonus was married, my Dad gave each one of them a ten acre part of the farm, mainly because the farm belonged to their mother before Dad had married her. Now he only had twenty acres of farming land to try and make a living on and I know that was not very easy to do. He raised potatoes, hay, grain and clover seed. We always had a garden and apple trees from which he sold many a box of apples. He always had eight or ten milk cows, beside some dry stock. He always raised some pigs and chickens. So he raised a lot of our food items. I remember seeing some of Dad's records of his operation with farming on the desert, and it seemed to me that there was many a load of wheat that was hauled to market. Dad' s last years were not very happy for him. Although his health seemed pretty good, he had a lot of trials and very hard times. Through the hard times of the depression - I do remember that we always seemed to have enough to eat, when there was a tot of people then who did not. There was some of our other needs that was not met so very good, I must of been ten years old, or maybe more, before we had electricity in our home. Up until about 1930, Dad had drove an older Model T Ford car. Then, my older brother, Reuel, found a 1928 Model A Ford, owned by a fellow by the name of Claus Anderson, and for some reason he had it stored away. Seems like I remember that Dad gave either $250 or $300 for it and because it was stored it had deteriorated quite a bit and Reuel took it and overhauled the motor and repaired it. It was what was called a "roadster". After Glenn was married, Dad traded the roadster to Glenn for a team ofhorses. Dad then bought a 1930 Model A Ford Coupe, which was the last car he had. During those times, there were four children who died, and my oldest full brother came down with polio at the age of 3, He lived until he was 22 years old. He was paralyzed on one side and was a great care most all his life. He had very violent spells often, and very often during the nights. He did learn to walk some, but not very good. When he was about eighteen years old - may have been a little earlier - Mother and Dad decided they would take him to a facility in Nampa, Idaho, where he could get better care than they were able to provide. My older brother, Reuel, and Dad took him down to Nampa. It was a very sad time to see him go, not knowing when we would ever see him again, but it was for the best at that time. Due to distance, Dad & Mother were not able to go down very often, which was quite a heartache to them. Dad lived with me and my family for about 2 years. Then after he sold the farm, he bought a small home in town (Blackfoot) and lived there for a very short time. He then rented it and arranged to store his belongings in the basement part, and he went to some of the other of his family to stay for short periods. He then became quite ill and wanted to come home. So he came back and arranged to make a place in the basement of his house, while it was rented, where he could sleep. It was not a very good arrangement, because the basement was not at all finished. Finally, my cousin invited him to come and stay at his place where he had a large home and a place where he could be much more comfortable. His health continued to fail some, and he was now about 83 years old. Then one day he was staying for a day or so at Chonus's place in Pocatello where he had a very bad fall. He came back to Mondie Fackrell's and in a day or two I went over and took him to the hospital, where he died on May 8, 1957. It was just 5 days before his birthday.

Life timeline of Parley P. Fackrell

Parley P. Fackrell was born in 1873
Parley P. Fackrell was 16 years old when The Eiffel Tower is officially opened. The Eiffel Tower is a wrought iron lattice tower on the Champ de Mars in Paris, France. It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower.
Parley P. Fackrell was 20 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
Parley P. Fackrell was 32 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Parley P. Fackrell was 39 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Parley P. Fackrell was 56 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Parley P. Fackrell was 66 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Parley P. Fackrell was 68 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa. Nazi Germany is the common English name for Germany between 1933 and 1945, when Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party (NSDAP) controlled the country through a dictatorship. Under Hitler's rule, Germany was transformed into a totalitarian state that controlled nearly all aspects of life via the Gleichschaltung legal process. The official name of the state was Deutsches Reich until 1943 and Großdeutsches Reich from 1943 to 1945. Nazi Germany is also known as the Third Reich, from German Drittes Reich, meaning "Third Realm" or "Third Empire", the first two being the Holy Roman Empire and the German Empire. The Nazi regime ended after the Allied Powers defeated Germany in May 1945, ending World War II in Europe.
Parley P. Fackrell died in 1957 at the age of 84
Grave record for Parley P. Fackrell (1873 - 1957), BillionGraves Record 5770798 Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States