Ormus Ephraim Bates

25 Mar 1815 - 4 Aug 1873

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Ormus Ephraim Bates

25 Mar 1815 - 4 Aug 1873
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Ormus E. Bates Erda, Tooele County, Utah Annie’s grandfather, Ormus Ephraim Bates, had come across the plains in 1851 (5 Oct 1851, See Vol. 12 Heart Throbs of the West Page 467) and had settled there with his seven wives on a grant of land given to him by President Brigham Young. The grant compris

Life Information

Ormus Ephraim Bates


Tooele City Cemetery

Sagers Circle
Tooele, Tooele, Utah
United States


In Memory Of


June 13, 2012


June 13, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of Ormus Ephraim


Ormus Ephraim Bates is buried in the Tooele City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Ormus E. Bates

Contributor: Poffenbergerds Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Ormus E. Bates Erda, Tooele County, Utah Annie’s grandfather, Ormus Ephraim Bates, had come across the plains in 1851 (5 Oct 1851, See Vol. 12 Heart Throbs of the West Page 467) and had settled there with his seven wives on a grant of land given to him by President Brigham Young. The grant comprised almost all of what is now the town of Erda. It was originally known as Rose Springs, then as Tule or Tuillia Springs Tuillia was the Indian name for rushes growing in the marshes there. (History of Tooele county, D.U.P. Page 262). Here the family lived for five or six years in little frame house about a block away from the brother’s home. Excerpts from “Remembering Mother” compiled by Ellis Lindgren. The following is taken from excerpts written by his grandson Ormus A. Bates Ormus E. Bates was baptized July 4th,1836, by Orson Pratt With his family of wife and four children, he moved from Henderson, Jefferson County, New York, to Nauvoo, Illinois in 1843. Here he was active in church affairs, was appointed by proper authorities of the church, with others, to collect as agents of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, donations and tithings for the Temple in the city of Nauvoo, and for other purposes, and having complied with all necessary requirements by entering into bonds to our entire satisfaction. (Ref. Journal History Jan. 31, 1845) ....Probably the latter part of 1846 he took his family, under threat of mob violence , to Winter Quarters, Nebraska, where on January 24, 1847, he was a member of a company of armed men under Hosea Stout, chosen to participate in an expedition against the Indians. Just what the results of this expedition were is probably recorded in the history of the church ...The Saints under Brigham Young’s counsel were using every effort to leave the states because of a growing bitterness and restlessness in both North and South, and to gather to Utah and help in the building up of Zion in the tops of the mountains. Accordingly, the Bateses joined the company under William Cummings, and with his stock left Council Bluffs in the spring of 1851, arriving in Salt Lake City on October 5th of the same year. He Believed “It is cheaper to feed them (indians) than to fight them.”

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me.

Contributor: Poffenbergerds Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

On a mission for the Church in 1840 in Western New York, Ormus Bates was one of two missionaries in Ellisburg holding cottage meetings, tracting, and holding street meetings. Morilla Spink and a friend heard there was a meeting to be held by Mormon missionaries and decided to go, more to see or make fun of them than anything else, but when they heard the truth spoken by men of God, Morilla believed and wanted to hear more, and so came to the meetings until her father forbad her. Even that couldn't keep the truth form her. She waited until her father was in bed, then joined the elders in their meetings. One night her father saw her leave and followed her, took her by the arm and received a severe shock or stroke. He felt she was right and told her, "It is enough, Morilla, go on, but when you join them don't come back home. You will no longer be one of us." (From Ivan M. Bates and Lettie P. Bates, Bates News Letter Vol I. 6 p.4)


Contributor: Poffenbergerds Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

A sprinter and his manager who toured the country taking on all comers—with the dual purpose of stirring up a little excitement and picking up a few dollars—visited Salt Lake City for a few weeks to do their routine. Claiming that this speedster had beaten everyone in the United States who had run against him, his manager issued challenges to all comers round about. As was their custom, they arranged several footraces. The fellow proved to be fast, all right, as he handily beat every challenger in every heat. A little bragging now seemed to be the order of the day, but someone interrupted that by calling out: “Duke Bates can beat him!” “What’s this—another challenger? Who’s Duke Bates?” Duke Bates was one of the monikers given to Ormus Ephraim Bates. Another race was arranged with plenty of excitement. The winner—“Duke Bates!” (As related by Arthello L. Bates to L. Gordon Bates)

History of Ormus Ephraim Bates

Contributor: Poffenbergerds Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

History of Ormus Ephraim Bates – Pioneer of 1851 --written by Ormus A. Bates, Grandson --transcribed by Todd Kirk, 4th Great Grandson Ormus Ephraim Bates, son of Ormus [Cyrus] Bates and Lydia Harrington, was born 25th of March, 1815 at Ellisburg, Jefferson County, New York. He married Phoebe Mariah Matteson, born 31st of January 1817, in (probably) Jefferson County, New York, in 1835 at Ellisburg of the same county and state, by whom he had five sons and four daughters: Orson Parley, born 3 March 1836 at Ellisburg New York Erin Lafayette, 23 December 1838, “ “ Loverna Emerta, 4 February 1841, at Henderson, Jefferson, Co… Mary Elizabeth, 5 December 1842, “ “ Ormus Elias, 11 April 1845, at Nauvoo, Illinois Orisa Mariah, 8 January 1848, at Winter Quarters, Nebraska Arlin Henry, 14 February 1851 at Council Bluffs, Iowa Marintha Altheria, 14 March 1853, at Batesville, Utah Myron William, 18 October 1857, at Batesville, Utah With his family of wife and four children, he moved from Henderson, Jefferson County, New York, to Nauvoo, Illinois in 1843. Here he was active in church affairs, was appointed by proper authorities of the church, with others, to collect as agents of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, donations and tithings for the Temple in the city of Nauvoo, and for other purposes, and having complied with all necessary requirements by entering into bonds to our entire satisfaction. (Ref. Journal History Jan. 31, 1845) He is mentioned as one taking part with a group of 24 elders who met in prayer circle in the Temple March 24, 1846. While in Nauvoo he married Morilla Spink on December 23, 1844, whose son, Orville E., was born on October 21, 1845. The next year, probably the latter part of 1846, he took his family, under threat of mob violence, to Winter Quarters, Nebraska, where on January 24, 1847 he was a member of a company of armed men under Hosea Stout, chosen to participate in an expedition against the Indians. Just what the results of this expedition were is probably recorded in the history of the church. During this year, 1847, he married a third wife, Matilda Reeves, from Rochester or Hartland, New York, at Winter Quarters. As the movement was ever westward, we find him next in Council Bluffs, Iowa, where he kept cattle and horses for the Church, reserved to equip the trains for migrating Saints, some for Orson Pratt, whose first wife was Ormus Bate’s sister. Also he had a considerable number of stock of his own. Because of this occupation he remained here about four years. In the meantime, the Saints under Brigham Young’s counsel were using every effort to leave the States because of a growing bitterness and restlessness in both North and South, and to gather to Utah and help in the building of Zion in the tops of the mountains. Accordingly, the Bates joined the company under William Cummings, and with his stock left Council Bluffs in the spring of 1851, divided into several units of fifty and subdivided into 10’s. (See Hammond’s Document in Church Emigration MS Vol. 2) a diary of part of this company recorded each day. Ormus E. Bates remained in the Salt Lake Valley during the winter of 1851, and in the spring of 1852 took his family and herds westward around the point of the Oquirrh range of mountains to the group of tule spring and located a tract of land 5 ½ miles north of Tooele and 2 ½ miles south of the Ezra T. Benson sawmill. Here he built a house and began the erection of a fort near a large spring of pure, clear water that bubbled up through moving, turbulent quicksand. The fort was built of adobe and mud laid to a thickness of two feet, and twelve feet high, enclosing a court five by six rods in dimension with a gate through which teams could be driven on the east side. In my memory, it seems the fort was never finished on the north side which was flanked by sloughs of standing water, partially at least, no doubt a reasonably safe protection against Indian raids and an excellent home or retreat for ducks and mosquitos. Indians, at this time, were not friendly, speaking mildly, and on one occasion, at least, waylaid and killed a herder who attempted to trail and recover his cattle. Ormus E. Bates was a believer in the counsel of Brigham Young, “It is better and cheaper to feed them (the Indians) than to fight them.” The surrounding tract of land was for many years known as Bates’ Ranch, but oftener called “The Ranch” by people on the east side of Tooele Valley. On November 1, 1855, the county court set aside another tract to be named the Rose Springs Forting District, described as follows: “Commencing north along the county road to the Ezra T. Benson District----(Head of the Mill Springs) thence east to the foot of the mountains, thence south along the foot of the mountain to a point directly east of the southeast corner of the Ormus E. Bates Forting District, thence west to the place of beginning. The springs at the foot of the mountain were first called Rose Springs, afterward, the Sellwood Place, and later Bryan’s Springs.” The Batesville School District and precinct later established, to include these two forting districts, the East Side and the West Side. There was, no doubt, an understood line on the south side of these forting districts. Ormus was then active in civil affairs. He was named Orator of the Day at the celebration of the 24th of July, 1856 at Tooele City. He was appointed to succeed John Rowberry as Probate Judge of Tooele County in 1859 by the Territorial Legislature (Journal History, January 24, 1859), and was regularly reelected to succeed himself the next year, 1860. The county seat was located at the time at Richville (Milton), the settlement consisting of fine families, a gristmill, the remains of a sawmill and a court house. This was three miles north of the Ranch. During these few years, Bates and his sons built two houses in the fort and one a short distance south near a small spring which we boys called Grandma’s Spring. He was set apart September 9th and left on a mission on September 22, 1860 to the United States with a large group including Orson Pratt. On this occasion, President Young appealed for funds from bishops and families in Zion to aid these missionaries who were unable to provide for themselves, naming Orson Pratt and Erastus Snow as needing such help; but stated: “Such men as Ormus E. Bates can take care of themselves.” (Journal History, September 13, 1860). From Millenial Star, 1862, March 17th: “News from New York—Brother Ormus E. Bates who has just returned from the west (perhaps on a special mission to Florence, Nebraska) reported the way open and favorable prospect for our emigrant and railroads would provide transportation to Florence.” The 13th of June, 1862, he, with Elder H.S. Eldridge met the elders and Saints arriving at Castle Gardens on the ship Manchester and arranged for their trip to Florence. He returned, probably with this company, across the plains during 1862. Finding the stock range unsatisfactory in Tooele Valley, he moved a part of his family south into Rush Valley, where feed conditions were more promising and located on the East Canyon Creek, which was later Bate’s Creek and now Ophir Creek, a short distance below the mouth of the canyon. Here he built several cabins to accommodate his now augmented family. He had acquired a large herd of sheep, about 3000 head, with cattle and horses ranging the hills in summer and out in the valley during the winter. Little snow ever falls in this valley, but white sage and budsage furnished the finest of winter feed. Here he prospered with his several wives and families. The boys herded the sheep, tended the cattle and rounded up and busted broncos. The girls helped their mothers cook, keep house, scout, card and spin wool and make clothing, so that Ormus, like Abraham of old, became prosperous with his stock and his herds and his wives and daughters and his sons, but too bad – there came the Ophir mining excitement, right at his door. His young son Cyrus, about 18, discovered a vein of rich horn silver which he named the Mountain Lion and located with the father as co-owner. The mountain is still called the Lion Hill. There were taken from near the surface many thousands of dollars in horn silver. Pockets of almost pure silver were shoveled out without blasting. Excitement ran high, and Salt Lake mining men commenced bidding for the property. Cyrus sold his half to the father for $10,000. Ormus held out for $50,000. He refused a bid for $40,000. In the meantime, much money was spent in development and the pockets petered out. In 1872 silver was demonetized and dropped too low for mining, leaving Ormus heavily in debt. His cattle and sheep helped to ease his finances, but the worry and trouble undermined his health and he was suddenly stricken with heart failure and died on August 4, 1873, at 58 years, 4 months and 19 days of age, leaving six widows and 40 children. Physically he was well set-up, six feet tall, weighed 240 pounds. His complexion was light, eyes grey and piercing, his strength almost prodigious. It was said of him by those who knew him that no man in the country could handle him. Yet he was always affable and pleasantly agreeable when not aroused, but like a lion when attacked. He was pleasant and affable with his friends, sociable and hospitable with strangers and friends, but firm and forceful when crossed. His wives, though sometimes complaining, respected him. His sons and daughters loved and obeyed him. His was the life a pioneer, from pioneer stock of Massachusetts, coming from England in 1833*(actually 1633) to Boston; and rugged frontiersmen, keeping abreast of the ever westward movement -- Massachusetts, Vermont, Western New York, Illinois, thence to the territory of Utah. A colonizer he, who sought not comfort and ease, but space for expansion. Like Jacob of old he needed room for his flocks and his herds, his wives and his sons and their sons. He was always friendly with Indians when they were not hostile. He fed rather than fought them, and though they raided the herds of others in Tooele County, no one ever knew of them stealing a horse or steer branded with the familiar “OB,” Ormus Bate’s brand. The Deer Creek and Skull Valley Utes, number of them, came to the Bates Ranch on East Canyon Creek every fall to gather pine nuts. Every time they greeted him with “How, Bitch,” (Bates), and called him “Heap Waino Bitch” (Very Good Bates). Of course they came to beg something – everything. “Shay, gimme biscuit. He paoose hungry, heap cry. He wantum prow (flour), sugah (sugar).” After a time of gathering and roasting the nuts and begging what they could around the country, they perhaps the chief came to the house: “Shay, Bitch, me wantum sheer (steer), heap waino meat.” Ormus would laugh a little and then hesitate. “What you want of steer, Talby?” “Me Wantum heap meat, finem smoke. He squaw – (Imitates cutting up meat.) Waino finum, smoke, pakum—uuh! (grunt meaning over mountain in Shkurr-warrey (Skull Valley)” “All right”, Ormus would agree. “1 steer, see?” (holding up one finger). “You ketch.” That was enough. Soon the young braves were astride their mustangs and off they would go into the hills among the cedars. When the steer was found they would herd him out of the cedars onto the flat, then “Yip yi, yip yi” round and round they chased the poor beast until he was hot and winded. Then followed the kill. Squaws were immediately at hand with knives to skin and butcher the carcass, then they cut the lean flesh into narrow strips which were carried to camp, hung on horizontal willows resting on forked stakes, under which a slow fire was made. The meat was thus dried as the fired was kept going several days, until the meat was hard and black. Then it was packed in blankets or bags, and packed on ponies. Then the camp broke up and the company “pikeway” for the wickiups over the mountains to the west. Grandma Bates, (Phoebe Mariah) told this story in which it is evident Grandpa was not always mild where Indians were concerned: One day an arrogant buck came into the fort in Tooele Valley from a band of painted Indians camped some distance from the fort… He strutted around asking and demanding everything in sight, and picked up some article as though to take it, anyway. Ormus walked up to him, “You pikeway git.” Then seizing him up by the shoulder and legs, boosted him up and threw him over the gate out of the court. The gate was eight feet high. It was done so suddenly that the Indian had no time to get out of the way or defend himself. Grandma chuckled and laughed in her reminiscence. Another similar case occurred not far out from Kanesville. A band of warriors appeared one morning before the train had started, probably to beg, and perhaps size up the company. The young leader, evidently a chief, rode forward to “pow wow.” Some of the leaders of the company stood out a short distance from the camp to size up the braves and find out what they wanted. Ormus E. Bates was one of the these men. A circumstance, of which the following scene was the sequel occurred a month or so earlier, while Mr. Bates was gathering up the cattle. In his absence from his herder’s cabin one day, some Indians broke in and stole everything they could carry away, among which were some clothes. Ormus now discovered this young chief had on one of the shirts. Without further parley, he stepped up to the Indian with the command, “Give me my shirt!” Then he seized his leg, jerked him from his pony, tore the shirt from his back, cuffed him several time, then throwing him back on the horse, gave the pony a slap on the hip, with “Now git, pikeway and stay away!” The other braves all sat on their horses and laughed and jeered as their leader was being man-handled, deeming it great sport to see their young leader get what was coming to him. One other incident of the journey across the plains was told to us boys by Grandma. Ormus was driving ahead of the train one day, accompanied by his youngest wife, Matilda, in open carriage. They gotten perhaps a half mile ahead of the train over a hill, when suddenly two Indians rode down from ambush upon the couple in the carriage. Ormus was surprised but not unprepared. As the Indians dropped from their ponies one on each side of the team, with their hunting knives in hand about to be used to cut loose the team from the wagon, Ormus drew his two six shooters called “pepper boxes,” held them forward, one pointing to the left and the other to the right. He had some knowledge of the Indian’s tongue and threatened to kill if they cut the harness, so they remounted their ponies and Bates turned back to the company. “Forewarned is forearmed,” and the train passed on unmolested. Ormus E. Bates became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints being baptized by Orson Pratt, July 4, 1836 at Henderson, Jefferson County, New York, and held the office of Elder until his death. Additional References Ormus Ephraim Bates Excerpts from Church History 31 January 1845 - Journal History (1,259,734) Ormus Ephraim Bates was appointed among several others as agents to collect donations and tithings for the temple in the city of Nauvoo. 24 March 1846 - Journal History (1,259,734) - History of Brigham Young, 1846 (page 112) Ormus Ephraim Bates was one mouth of 4 (Thomas Bullock, Addison Everett and Daniel D. Hunt, the other three) of a prayer offered by 24 Elders in the Nauvoo Temple as the Saints began to leave Nauvoo. 12 August 1846 - Journal History (1,259,735) Ormus Ephraim Bates was appointed foreman of the Eleventh Company - was elected by nomination. 24 June 1847 - Journal History (1,259,735) Ormus Ephraim Bates was part of "a company of armed men [who] left Winter Quarters for Bellevue under Captain Hosea Stout for the purpose of participating in the expedition against the Indians". 21 November 1855 - Journal History (1,259,742) - Deseret News "A young man named Benjamin L. Doty left the house of Mr. O. E. Bates, in Tooele County, on the 4th rst., for Benson's Kanyon where he had been making shingles since when he has not been heard from. Those acquainted believe he was killed by Indians who were camped in the Kanyon at the time." 24 July 1856 - Journal History (1,259,742) Ormus Ephraim Bates gave a speech at the 24th of July celebration in Tooele City. 22 February 1857 - Journal History (1,259,743) Ormus Ephraim Bates was listed among those persons selected to accompany President Young on his trip to Salmon River. 9 September 1860 - Journal History (1,259,746) - History of Brigham Young, 1860 (page 296) Ormus Ephraim Bates was called on a mission "for the states" with Orson Pratt, Sr. 13 September 1860 - Journal History (1,259,746) - History of Brigham Young, 1860 (page 297) An address to some Bishops by Brigham Young: "If the Bishops wish to do their duty let them raise means enough to help the poor Saints who are going away. Orson Pratt and Erastus Snow are poor, Bros. Bywater and John L. Smith and some others want some help to get away and their families will want help while they are away and the Bishops must see to them. Such men as Ormus Bates can take care of themselves." 17 March 1862 - Journal History (1,259,747) - Millennial Star (Vol. 24, page 235) News from New York - "Brother Ormus E. Bates, who had just returned from the west, reported the way open and a favourable prospect for emigration. They anticipate no difficulty in effecting any arrangements with the agents of the railways for the speedy and safe transmission of the thronging thousands of our European emigration through direct to Florence, as the tide of war is now surging southwards." 12 June 1862 - Journal History (1,259,747) - Millennial Star (Vol. 24, page 443) Ormus Ephraim Bates met with Elder H. S. Eldridge and the ship Manchester at Castle Gardens. *spelled as found in Journal History

Orson Parley Bates

Contributor: Poffenbergerds Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

• Orson Parley Bates • • ORSON PARLEY BATES (written by his son Ormus A. Bates Sept. 14, 1941) Eldest son of Ormus Ephraim Bates and Phoebe Mariah Matteson was born 3rd of March 1836 at Ellisberg, Jefferson County, New York. Little is known relating to his childhood, he was with his parent during their stay in Ellisberg and Henderson, during which time a brother and two sisters were born. The parents were both of pioneer stock of Vermont, and the Bates line decending from one Edward Bates, (Baytes, Bats) who came from England perhaps Boston, Lincolnshire to Boston Mass. about 1630. Both Bates and Mattesons are revolutionary stock. Ormus E. Bates with his family moved to Nauvoo, Illinois in 1843. Orson was the seven years of age. He attended primary school there but could not have made much progress with the troublous times and unsettled conditions. He had seen the Prophet Joseph Smith. With the migrating Mormon People, threatened from the East and fearful of the West, the family left Nauvoo late in 1846 and located for a year at Winter Quarters, Neb. Here because of the distress and suffering of the people, little chance was had for schooling of the children. A better opportunity was offered at Council Bluffs, Iowa the next yeaar, when they moved on to that settlement. Orson's father was engaged in stock raising, and the boy, now eleven, could do considerable in helping herd the sheep and cattles. During the three or four years intervening the expulsion from Nauvoo and crossing the plains. Orson learned much about horses, sheep and cattle and found some chance to learn the three R.s. His father had almost an arsenal of fire arms, and taught the boys how to handle them so that Orson and Erin, his brother became accurate riflemen when only boys. Orson told of how, when only ten years old, he shot squirrels from their holes in high trees, when only their heads could be seen. From my own experience, I know it takes an expert rifelman to do that. • The younger boy, Erin was rather critical of the elder brother, and told us boys (Orson's sons) in later years how Orson captured and killed a buffalo bull. The company under William Cummings left Kanesville June 21st 1851. Orson was then over 15, Erin 13. Orson was given an old yauger (possibly a Jacob Young), a large bore muzzle loading rifle, and permitted to go out after a buffalo, by himself. On this occasion he sighted a herd about 100 yards from a wash in a ravine. Being out of sight of the herd, he maneuvered around to leeward of the herd, found this small wash, and then carefully crawled on all fours until he reached a point something like a hundred yards. He loaded his gun for buffalo, and felt pretty sure of himself, now, but with nervous tingling all through his body. Carefully lifting his head over the bank, he singled out a large bull. Resting his gun on the bank he drew a bead low behind the shoulder and fired. The herd stampeded, and left the bull struggling on the ground. The boy, now, was trembling with excitement, but reloaded the gun, then hastened towards the bull, which now lay still; but in order to be safe he cocked the gun and cautiously approached the beast with the gun pointed at its head. Here was the younger brother's cause for ridicule. Regardless of the exploit of bringing down the bull, Uncle Erin never failed to laugh at Orson's pointing the gun at the head of the buffalo bull which no ordinary rifle bullet could penetrate, owing to the thick mattled wool mixed with sand on the buffalo's forehead. But the game was dead, having been shot through the heart, and was one of but a few critters to be bagged durning the trip. They reached the Salt Lake Valley the 5th of October 1851. They remained here until the spring of 1852, then, with their stock, continued westward, passed the point of the Oquirrk mountains, close to the shore of the Great Lake, thence southward several miles to the group of tule springs from which the valley takes its name, Tooele by a misspelled word "tule", from the tule springs where Ormus Bates and his sons and family settled. They immediately began the building of a house and a fort which they finished the next year 1853. Personally I think the north side of this fort was never completed. An adobe house furnished part of the wall. A large slough and tule springs furnished ample protection , besides furnished a breeding place for ducks and mosquitos.(Pioneers are supposed to be immune to insect pests) During the next few years, they opened a road into the canyon east of home, and from this accomplishment, which was no small undertaking it was named Bates Canyon, which names remains. They broke up a ten acre tract of rich, black soil, on which was grown garden stuff, and corn. They also built a mud wall for a fence out northeast from the fort to enclose a larger tract. Part of this was also cultivated. These activities kept the boys busy and the stock had to be cared for. House logs had to be hauled from the canyon, and poles for the fencing, houses built. The women were kept busy cording, spinning, weaving, teaching children etc. while the boys were at their work. It was in the summer of 1856 a rather remarkable hunt occurred. The herders reported the loss of a number of calves, and had sighted a large gray wolf several times on the range. One xxx, a herder came upon a fine calf, freshly killed. The tracks around the dead animal proved conclusively, that a wolf had done the mischief ad had been frighten away before getting his breakfast. Hastily, the man rode back to the fort to report his discovery. At this time, two young men from Tooele City, were employed on the ranch, William H. Lee and Arlando (Orlando) Gee. Orson and Erin and these two boys decided it was better, now, to wait until morning, believing the wolf would return in the night and feast on his kill; so they made preparations to start at daybreak in the morning. Lee and Gee were sweet on two of Orson's sisters, Lovernia and Mary, which fact may have had something to do with their being at the fort just then. There were only three rifles at hand, so Erin said he would take his bow and arrows. They were not long in riding the three miles, and they found they had rightly guessed, for they reached the carcass of the calf, there was nothing left but skin, bones, and a few entrails. They were confident that lobo would not carry his load far without hunting a lair and taking his sleep; so they carefully studied the ground and found the direction he had started, then spread out, four abreast to follow the course. It indicated a buch of high greasewood and thick rabbit brush, a quarter mile distant. For convenience in shooting an arrow, Erin chose the right hand end of the line. Sre enough, as they reached the edge of the clump of greasewood, one of them caught sight of the movement of a gray body. "There he goes" he shouted and the chase was on. The horses plunged madly through the brush, now and then a rifle cracked, but no hit could be made from the back of a plunging running horse. It is not easy to load a rifle of the early days from the back of a running horse, so now Erin got the lead, and as Lobo came out on more open space, Erin found himself 40 yards on his right side. Now he drew his bow and let fly the arrow. It was a perfect hit in the right side of the wolf, passed through the body and the arrow head projected for or five inches from the body. Lobo kept on going, but throw his head around and snapped off the arrowhead, then plunged forward heavily to the ground. The chase was ended, and Lobo had become the victim of his last kill. Now, the rest of the men had reached the scene and preparations were being made to lift the brute into the saddle. Erin, in telling of the event, said "It was all the four of us could do to lift him on the horse". He must have weighed at least 200 pounds. Ordinarily the wolf could have outrun the horses, but he was carrying an immense load of beef, which caused his downfall. In later years Uncle Erin laughed and gloated over how he defeated the best riflemen in the county, with his bow and arrow. About this time, Orson and Erin had become acquainted with the Brower family in Granstville across the valley ten miles west. It may be the families had associated together in Nauvoo; but Arieh C. Brower came to the "Valley" in 1847 and thence to California in 48, two years later, returning to Salt Lake, thence to Grantsville, where he bought a good farm. He had two daughters, aged 14 and 16, toward whom there young ranchers cast eyes of more than friendliness. When the boys began to visit tehm seriously, as Mr. Brower thought, he forebade their coming any more, saying "When my girls are ready to get married, and you are able to care for them, come and take them if they want you, but I want no foolish courting around me and my girls." Well, he should know, he married seven wives before his passed on. It was as xxx ranch cook who will not allow the coboys around the kitchen, but when the meal is ready shouts, "Come and Get it!" The time came when the boys and girls decided they were ready to leave the home nest, like young sparrows, and like sparrows, they seemed to have no more preparation than the ability, as they thought to go it alone--in couples. It seems that this loning or something, came over more of the Bates and Browers about that time, for it was arranged to have three weddings at once, it being more economical. To make one trip to Salt Lake was cheaper than to make three, so Orson and Ann (Brower), Erin and Vic (Brower), Bill (Lee) and Vernia (Bates), with help from Pa Bates and perhaps Father Brower, formed a sextet, climbed into a covered wagon, and packed themselves in hay and quilts like sardines in a can, with Orson as the chauffeur and Erin and Bill to fill up space and wait with the ladies. It would take four to six hours to make the trip, so I judge they left the fort June 16th so that they could be ready on the morrow for the wedding. The three marriages took place in the Endowment house, Salt Lake City, June 17th, 1856, as Orson P. Bates of Bates Ranch, Tooele County, to Ann Elizabeth Brower, daughter of Arieh C. Brower of Grantsville, Tooele County. Erin Lafayette Bates of Bates Ranch to Victoria Adelaide Brower, also daughter of Arieh C. Bower of Grantsville, William H. Lee of Tooele City, Utah to Lavernia Emertta Bates, daughter of Ormus E. Bates and Phoebe Mariah Matteson of Bates Ranch, Tooele County, Utah. Orson and Ann located a house/place near a small spring of clear, cold water a half mile west of the fort. The spring furnished culinary water, only. A larger one, three hundred yards to the south furnished irrigation water for a small farm tract some west of the home. The first home, where they set up housekeeping, was a prairie schooner, emigrant wagon box, canvas covered, set on two or three small logs to raise it from the ground a few inches. The dug a out the spring to a depth of 8 feet, rocked it up for a well. The water rose to the surface and trickled away a few yards and sank into the porous soil. This miniature well, we always called "The Spring". This first home, no doubt, was given them as a wedding present to start them out in life. It sure was literally, out in life. They cipped out of the spring culinary water with a bucket. There, on the 6th of June 1857 their first baby came to make life interesting for the young couple. They named him Orson Parley, Jr., afterthe father who had been named for Orson and Parley Pratt. Orson (Pratt) was "uncle" to the Bateses. Ann had to do her cooking over an open range. It consisted of three or for stones lying on the ground in which the fire was built, and a tripod to hold up the kettle. Baking was done in a skillet, (Cutch) oven frying in a frying pan set on the coals. The fire place was convenient to the front door of the "house." The cooking utensils above mentioned were augmented by a bread pan, a milk pan or two, a few ti plates, knives and forks a few pewter spoons and tin cups. Every family must have butcher knives and skinning knives for ranch needs. Before the next baby came, Orson had built a rude log hut covered with weaney edge lumber and four or five inches of clay soil. Between the logs, chunks of split logs call ********, were pressed into the cracks and marter (mortar) clay and sand mud closed the crevasses. One door on the east side, a sixteen inch square hole sawed in the logs and covered with factory furnished light and air, when the weather was favorable. The floor as I remember, was rough ten inch boards that upheaved into mountainous ridges when a heavy rain leaked through the roof. A cellar under the floor with a trap door opened on the north towards the spring. This was useful for milk and vegetables. Another log room was built on the south side of this of better logs and better roof and floor, with a real window and door in the east side and a nice fireplace with andirous on the south side or end. This became the bedroom, in which Ormus A., Valeria H., and Alice A. were born, December 1th, 1860, April 21, 1862, and April 4th, 1865 respectively were the birth dates. The homes were lighted at night sometimes by a piece of rag lying in a tin of tallow and projecting over the side of the tin. We called it a "*****", candles were used to better advantage, made at home. Melted tallow was poured into a mould through which wicks had been dropped and passed through the narrow opening. The bottom end of the candle was formed at the top of the molds where the wicks were fastened to sticks the size of a lead pencil. The hot tallow was now poured in, and left to cool. When ready the stick was raised, bringing the candles out from the mould. One stick would form a lift for three to six candles. Brass candle sticks in which the candles we lighted and held were popular and common in every home. Orson early started a sheep herd and built a pole corral about ten rods west of the house, large enough and high enough for not only a sheep herd but for cattle and horses. Here we boys watched the branding of cattle, the lassoin' and breaking of wild horses, occasionally, and corralled our sheep at night. This was a convenient home, and a place where drifting cowboys might stay awhile. Orson and Ann were both hospitable. There were sheep to be herded and cattle and horses to be rounded up and broken to saddle or harness. These drifters were convenient and required very little pay, so they stayed for a short time, passed on and were very soon forgotten. Then sorrow came to the home. On the 10th Oct., 186x Valeria two and one half years old died from measles. No doctor was obtainable, and the only remedy used by midwives and mothers for measles as I remember to have experienced, was "nanny-berry" tea (Sheep droppings). Another year passed and another baby girl which they named Alice Adelaide came 4th of April, 1865. Later that year we moved to Tooele City. At the time, Tooele was but a small farm community. Each family of the early settlers had a city lot and about ten acres of farm land adjoining the town out to the west. Their lands changed ownership later and people moved out. The more affluent absorbed the holdings, and many of the poor families sought advantages in other towns and districts. Orson went into the lumber business about 1867 with William Pickett, and bought a steam engine and boiler that had been used on the first steam boat to ply the Great Salt Lake. The boat, named "The City of Corrinne" had been built to carry lumber and RR tier from the south end of the lake to the junction of the railroad t Corrinne, on the north. A peir was built at Lake Point, but when the RR Junction was established at Ogden it seems the shipping of tier was abandon the boat changes its moorings also. It was now to be an excursion boat at the Garfield Beach. With a few ox teams and men Orson took a heavy logging wagon to Lake Point. e drove his old team of just mules for convenience to the pier where the boiler lay in three or four feet of water. The difficulty of bringing the boiler to shore, some said it would take two yoke of cattle to do it, but cattle couldn't be made to go out into three feet of water and they had no chains long enough to reach from the shore. Then a contention arose as to how it could be accomplished. "Shucks" Orson said, "I can drag it out with old Buff," (Buff was one of the mules.) The crowd laughed; but he proceeded to lead her out 40 or 50 years, in water up to her sides, hitched her to a chain attached to the boiler and in a spectacular pull brought it to shore. All of the men where astonished and outspoken in admiration for that mule. I was just a small boy, but thrilled at the recital of that event. However, my love for old Buff was changed to grief the next year, when she and her mate Jack, wandered over the mountain from the mill into Butterfield, and we never found them again. The mill was set up and run for two years, in Middle Canyon, eight miles up from Tooele. The family were moved to the mill camp and Ann, with the help of a hired girl did the cooking for five to twelve men, mill hands and loggers. There were now but three children in the family. Martha Anne, nine years old and Alice five had died of whooping cough in Tooele, Oct., 15th and Oct. 10th respectively, leaving the three boys, Orson called Ottie, Ormus, Ommy, and Frank the nine months old baby. This move to the canyon and change of environment relieved the sorrow and grief of the family t some extent and excitement and work around the saw mill kept everyone busy. The tow boys loved this knid of life. There were big log carts on which one end of the great logs was rolled and fastened with log chains, and with one, two or three yoke of cattle partly hauled and partly dragged from the timbered heights down to the mill. The chains were knocked loose with ox or sledge, then the cattle were ordered "wo-o-ohaw, get buck," the long lash popped and the cart was dragged from under the heavy load, which fell with a heavy thud and lay on the ground. While the mill hands were busy rolling logs down to the carriage , heaving then up with the hand spikes onto the bloks to be spiked and held in place. The swyer, foreman, which position Orson assumed, then stepped on the plate brought the carriage into gear, and the log moved toward the rapidly whirling saw. There was a ripping crash, as the end of the log contacts the saw, then settles down to a steady roar as the saw rips through to the end of the log. The slab drops from the block the sawyer pressses a lever and the log rolls back to begin another cut. The saw slows down while a few turns of a lever moves the log out an inch ofso cut and old Billy the Russian off-bearer drags or carried the slab off to the slab pile. For tow years or seasons, this continued, the mill being closed during the winter and the family came back into the town. The sheep herd was leased to Abe Critchfield, or (our?) brother-in-law during the time of Orsons's mission to the States in 1871 and 72. Moving back to the ranch in 1872, he built a conformable home of eight rooms on the east side of the spring. The house had a stone basement of two rooms with accommodations for milk, butter and foods in a cool place. This was our family home. Orson P. Bates was appointed to preside over the Batesville Branch of Tooele Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1873 and in 1877 chosen a member of the Stake High Council, Tooele Stake of Zion, both or which positions he held until his death. He served several years as Justice of the Peace in Batesville Precinct, and as County Commissioner in Tooele County, also. His education had been meager, and owing to the terrible experiences incident to the expulsion from Nauvoo and hardships of the pioneer. Still he made some progress in night school while living in Tooele, and in later years was considered a well read, self made man. As before stated, Orson and Ann were hospitable and the Ranch House was a favorite resorting place for the young and middle aged. Especially was this the case when the girls Elizabeth, called Libbie, and Ida reached the age of womanhood. They were a music loving family. In earlier days the mother and father sang together many of the old secular and piuoneer songs. In there later years Ann did not sing much leaving this function to the girls. Orson continued as song leader in all the regular church meetings in his branch until his death. The eldest son, Orson Jr., had married and left the family circle, but Ormus (Orm for short) and Frank with the two girls formed a good mixed quartette, really excellent considering the cultural and social conditions of the time. The Hillsteads, an English family, being talented brought xxx musical culture and talent to the little Ranch settlement. Ann was but a small girlish figure until about 1870. She wore a 2 1/2 shoe then but later she had grown heavier and reached 200 lbs. Even then she only wore a No. 3 shoe. Orson was 5 ft 7 in. and normally weighed 180, at one time reaching 200. This roley-poley growth of Ann, was attributed to a habit of carrying a tasted crust in the dress pocket and was crunching at it during the day, much like people chew gum. A social group in Tooele with Ann adopted it for a time. I think this sketch would hardly be complete without noting some of Ann's characteristics. She was a most cheerful, optimistic little body with a tendency to out door life. She loved to go to the canyon on picnics and berrying trips. Service berries and choke berries were abundant in xxx and Middle canyons. Fishing? She'd leave her washtub on the bench, with the clothes in it to go to the mill pond with one of the boys. There were always spare teams or a horse and buggy at the ranch. The pond was 2 1/2 miles north and full of small chubs. Ann would sit for hours on the bank, hauling out these minnows from four to eight inches long, then spend other hours when she reached home sealing and cleaning and frying them. She was an excellent cook, but not so scrupulous as a house keeper. It was not an essential art where seven boys and hired men tramped in three or four times a day for meals. Orson P. Bates married Harriet Celestia Bates, daughter of Cyrus W. Bates and Harriet Elizabeth Matthews of Grantville, Tooele County, Utah, Jan 24, 1878 at Salt Lake City, the issue of which marriage were: Lula E. Bates b 28 Oct. 1878 at Grantsville...Effie Celestia b 16 Jul 1881 at Grantville...Emma Alida b 24 April 1893, Grantsville... (NOTE: Orson's marriage to Harriet was polygamist and Harriet was his first cousin). (My note is that my grandmother's name was misspelled in this piece so I made the corrections.) He lived a consistent, conscientious life of a Latter Day Saint, leaving his sons and daughters a ranch or 400 acres of farm land, fifty head of cattle and some range horses, which property was partially distributed in his will and the balance was equitably divided after his death, which occurred on Jan 1st 1899, from a heart attack. His name will be honored by his family and friends of Tooele County as a pioneer of progress in the state of Utah.


Contributor: Poffenbergerds Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Ormus Ephraim Bates and Morilla Spink Written by Lucy Turley for her Family History page in her Book of Remembrance (Original page in the possession of her grandson Laron Kent Billingsley son of Myrtle Bates and Aaron P Billingsley) Ormus Ephraim Bates joined the Church in 1833, when the church was just three years old. He was eighteen at that time. He filled a mission in Western New York in 1840. Morilla Spink came to the meetings against the wishes of her parents. She believed the words of the missionaries and joined the church. Her parents wouldn’t let her live at home so she went to Nauvoo. Later Ormus Ephraim went to Nauvoo and he and Morilla were married. She was his second wife. Their first child, Orville Ephraim, was born in Nauvoo 21 August 1845. They were driven with the Saints from Nauvoo and crossed the plains with the Cummings Company in 1851. One time on their journey when they were in need of food. Ormus dug a trench and at the end of it a pit. Then he dropped corn every few inches along in it and three turkeys came into the trench to get the corn and fell into the pit. The Lord inspired them then as now. When they reached Utah they settled in Tooele County and named the town they started Batesville.

Life timeline of Ormus Ephraim Bates

Ormus Ephraim Bates was born on 25 Mar 1815
Ormus Ephraim Bates was 11 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
Ormus Ephraim Bates was 17 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Ormus Ephraim Bates was 25 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Ormus Ephraim Bates was 44 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
Ormus Ephraim Bates was 46 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
Ormus Ephraim Bates died on 4 Aug 1873 at the age of 58
Grave record for Ormus Ephraim Bates (25 Mar 1815 - 4 Aug 1873), BillionGraves Record 1441831 Tooele, Tooele, Utah, United States