Norman P Fackrell

1870 - 1958


Norman P Fackrell

1870 - 1958
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

NORMAN PROCTOR FACKRELL and ELIZABETH D. MEEKS FACKRELL Norman Proctor Fackrell was born October 14, 1870, in Overton, Nevada, to David Bancroft Fackrell and his wife, Hannah Proctor. Norman was the third child of this marriage, being preceded by Enos Proctor and by Herman who died as an infant. Nor
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Norman P Fackrell
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Norman P Fackrell


Riverside Thomas Cemetery

939-949 State Highway 39
Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho
United States

Headstone Description

Mother. father.


August 3, 2013


July 20, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Norman P...

We found more records about Norman P Fackrell.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Norman P


Norman P Fackrell is buried in the Riverside Thomas Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Norman Proctor Fackrell and Elizabeth D. Meeks

Contributor: Keren Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

NORMAN PROCTOR FACKRELL and ELIZABETH D. MEEKS FACKRELL Norman Proctor Fackrell was born October 14, 1870, in Overton, Nevada, to David Bancroft Fackrell and his wife, Hannah Proctor. Norman was the third child of this marriage, being preceded by Enos Proctor and by Herman who died as an infant. Norman’s parents were called to participate in the Muddy Mission and left Bountiful, Utah, in 1868 for what was then thought to be land within the boundaries of Utah. They settled in Overton and began the task of raising cotton and other crops as part of the greater Cotton Mission of Southern Utah. This mission was one of great hardship because of the heat, malaria, destitution, difficulties of transportation and hostile Indians. The final blow to these stalwart settlers was the determination that the Muddy Mission was in the new State of Nevada and Nevada was demanding back taxes be paid to them in gold. Brigham Young visited the mission in 1870 and advised the people to abandon the mission and either return to their homes or to settle in Long Valley, Utah. David Bancroft Fackrell chose to go to Long Valley with his family. By the time he was one year old Norm was living with his family at Mt. Carmel, Utah, and when the United Order was formed at Orderville in 1875 his family was one of the first to consecrate their earthly goods to the Order. His father served as Secretary of the Board of Directors and Norm and his brothers grew up in Orderville. As a young child he lived in a small shanty with his parents, ate at the children’s table in the communal dining hall and attended school about three months of the year. When he grew older he worked at various assignments in the industries conducted in the Order--the sheep herds, the shearing sheds, the farms, the dairy, and even a stint at shoemaking He must have proved himself very responsible because at a very young age he received assignments by the Board of Directors to work with his father in managing the soap making and the store. His father often took his family on selling and buying trips and by age sixteen Norm was hauling freight for the store as far north as Salt Lake City and Corinne. In the fall of 1890, when Norm was 20 years old, his father was arrested for practicing polygamy. According to a history of Hannah Proctor Fackrell written by her daughter-in-law, Elizabeth Meeks Fackrell, they had to go to Beaver, Utah for the trial by team and three witnesses went with them, namely, Mary Jane Meeks, Ruhanna Adair and Nell Spencer Hoyt. On the return trip, it was so cold and stormy they nearly perished (sic) and Hannah took cold and had a stroke soon after arriving home and only lived ten days after. She passed away Jan. 6, 1891 and was buried in the Orderville cemetery. The polygamy charges against Norm's father were dropped and he did not serve time in prison. On February 3, 1892, Norm married his sweetheart, Elizabeth Dalton Meeks, in the St. George Temple. She, too, was a child of Orderville. Her father, Dr. Priddy Meeks, joined the United Order in August, 1876, when Libby was two years old. Norm and Libby knew each other well growing up in a small community and their daughter, Eula, describes their relationship as “a life-long love match.” Norm and Libby purchased a farm of twelve acres about one-half mile outside Orderville and owned a herd of sheep which was pastured in the hills. These ventures were successful and Norm had time and the desire for community service as well. He served as President of the City Water System and was Justice of Peace. Norm and Libby were both good singers and musicians and entertained in many public performances. Their first son, Lewis Norman Fackrell, was born December 14, 1895, and a second son, Heber Meeks Fackrell, was born April 26, 1907, there in Orderville. Both boys were delivered by their grandmother, Mary Jane McCleve Meeks, who was a midwife. In 1898 Norm’s father and some of his brothers and sisters and their families moved to Riverside, Idaho, an area just west of Blackfoot, and homesteaded land. By 1907 Norm and Libby decided that their future also lay in the Snake River Valley of Idaho and shortly after Heber was born, they moved to Thomas, Idaho, just five miles west of Riverside. They purchased 80 acres of land from his brothers, Rodolph and Trenor, built a house to live in, cleared the land of sagebrush and built the ditch system which would irrigate the land. Rodolph was a skilled rock mason and he helped Norm and Libby build their house, which was a fine roomy house for its time. Two daughters were born to Norm and Libby in their new house - Mary Ina on January 29, 1909 and Eula Isabel on April 15, 1913. The Fackrell families helped each other with their work and often got together to visit, tell stories, play their musical instruments and sing. They liked each other, which spoke well of the way they were raised, and as long as they were able they visited each other frequently. Within a year of arriving in Thomas, Norm had purchased some registered Jersey cows from Ogden, Utah, and they were the beginning of a fine dairy herd. Norm loved and cared for his cows and they won many prizes at the Southeastern Idaho State Fair. The success of a farmer was dependent on his animals and his were always well trained and in good condition. Libby was the one who planted the flowers, shrubs and trees, making their home beautiful in a dry land. With Norm’s help she cared for their garden and fruit trees which supplied most of their food. She practiced the home arts of cooking, sewing, quilting and was an especially fine dressmaker, making clothes for her family and helping others with their clothing needs. As a young woman in Orderville she had apprenticed with a seamstress who went around to people’s homes to do their sewing. She learned patternmaking, a skill that she shared with her friends and neighbors all the years of her life. She also spent a summer at her sister Nancy's dairy in the Orderville hills and became adept at butter-making. She learned to make such quality butter that after they moved to Idaho she was able to sell it to a restaurant in Blackfoot who paid her extra for delivering it to them. Libby’s great love was Relief Society and she was an active member until she died. She served in the ward and stake organizations in Thomas as counselor, teacher and visiting teacher. She walked or went by buggy to meetings and to visit the sisters. One of the things she was often called on to do was to nurse the sick. The doctor would stop by and ask her to come with him when someone needed extra care. That, of course, was a family tradition since her father was a doctor and her mother a mid-wife. She would have picked up a lot of medical training helping her parents in their medical practice. We can speculate that Norm was successful in his farming operation since he I was able to buy the newest farm equipment on the market and had a telephone and automobile when few others did. He made loans to friends and family and donated funds to the schools in the area to buy books and athletic uniforms. Their home was open to people who were “down on their luck” and needed a job or a place to live for a while. Service to his community was important to Norm and in the Thomas area he served on the People's Canal Board, the local school board, and as clerk for the local elections. His judgment became well enough trusted that he was often asked to mediate in disputes between his neighbors, especially in matters concerning water rights. The children in their family were the fortunate recipients of Norm and Libby’s interest in good schooling. Lewis started school at age eight in Orderville and finished years four through eight in Thomas at age 16. He then went to Logan, Utah, to complete his education at the Brigham Young College and the Agricultural College. It was not long after he finished his schooling that World War I intervened and Lewis joined the U.S. Army Corp. He served in France as a member of the transportation division driving a truck. He arrived back in the U.S. with spinal meningitis and was hospitalized some months before he could come home. Heber attended grades one though eight at Thomas and then completed his high school in Blackfoot, living there during the week and coming home on weekends. He graduated in 1927. In the fall of that year he was called as a missionary to England. He served there two and one half years and then returned to farm and eventually complete a Bachelor's Degree and teach school. Ina and Eula both attended grade school at Thomas, too, and by the time they were old enough for high school there was a high school at Moreland, so they could finish their schooling while living at home and riding a bus to school. Ina went on to nursing school in Idaho Falls and graduated with a degree in nursing in 1928. She became a practicing nurse. Eula married at age sixteen, but always maintained an interest in keeping well-read and sharing her knowledge and skills with young people. After successfully farming for many years, Norm and Libby retired when he was in his early sixties. Norm eventually developed rheumatism and around the early 1940’s began having small strokes which partially paralyzed one of his legs and rendered him unable to do the hard physical work necessary for farming. He sold his farm to his son, Lewis, and moved to Blackfoot where they could have more conveniences. Norm and Libby lived there for about fifteen years, still able to drive to visit their children and relatives for most of that time. Libby died from a heart attack on February 16, 1954 and Norm died four years later on February 1, 1958. They both are buried in the Thomas/Riverside Cemetery. This life history was compiled in June 1995, by Lois Fackrell Worlton, granddaughter of Elizabeth M. and Norman P. Fackrell.

David Bancroft Fackrell

Contributor: Keren Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Written by Mrs. N.P. Fackrell (Norman Proctor Fackrell) In the year 1812, Richard and James Fackrell were drafted into the British Army and came from England as soldiers. When they arrived in America, their sympathies were with the Americans, so they deserted and the penalty for desertion was death. They dared not stay together so they bade each other good-bye and Richard was never heard of again. James was befriended by a man by the name of Crumb, and he afterwards married his daughter, Amy. They made their home in Vermont. David Bancroft Fackrell, their oldest (my husband's father) left home when he was fifteen years old. His father whipped him unmercifully and his mother encouraged him to go. Later on they became converted to the Gosple and moved with the rest of the Saints to the valley of the Mountains, in August 1848, and took up land at Bountiful, ten miles north of Salt Lake City, Utah. After David left home he became a trapper and hunter and at one time lived with the Indians and never tasted bread for ten months. When he heard of gold being discovered in California, he with others came west in the year 1850 with a pack train. When they arrived in Salt Lake they camped at the Tything Yard in a camp house in the Public Square, where the church had hay to sell for their horses. All campers were required to register and when he gave the name David Fackrell, he was asked if he was related to the family by that name at Bountiful, so he decided to go and see. He rode one of his horses and when he arrived he found his father and mother, two brothers and one sister there. They persuaded him to stay with they and he did. He gave his horses to his companions and they went on without him on past Tooele around the south side of Salt Lake and were all killed by the Indians who took their horses and outfits. He always acknowledged the hand of providence in his life being saved ethos time. David married Susanna Sumner July 6, 1851. She left England with her step-father and mother (her father was dead) and when they arrived at St. Louis, Mo., they both died with Cholera and left their six children. Susanna was oldest, fourteen years. Her brother next younger went to live with a man who was very strict with him and when he was sent to water a horse, for fear it would get away he tied the tope around his waist and it became frightened and ran away killing the boy. The rest of the children were so scattered she never saw any of them again. She crossed the plains with a man by the name of Birch, about 60 years old, and his wife. They both rode and she walked most of the way and drove the oxen, 1330 miles. Mr. Birch wished to marry her and when she refused he told her to find another home then. She went to Brother James Fackrell's and they gave her a home and treated her as one of their family. David had the bad habit of chewing tobacco and his stomach bothered him, and he went to the Doctor who told him he could not live but a short time. He dreamed his stomach was laid before him and it was covered with sores and tobacco was the cause of it. He never used tobacco again and joined the Church and was very strict in living the Word of Wisdom. They buried three children in Bountiful. One drowned in the spring near the home and another fell and hit its head on their bake-oven that caused its death. Bertha, their sixth child had sore eyes and a doctor in SaltLake City, experimenting with them, caused them to run out and she was blind all her life. In 1862, David married Hannah Proctor soon after she arrived from England, in the Indowmint House, and Susanna went too at the same time. In 1868 he was called by Brigham Young to the Muddy Mission in Nevada. He took Hannah and her two children, Enos and Herman, and Joseph his oldest son.The baby took sick and they stopped at Payson, at his sister's, the George Hancock home, where it passed away and was buried there. After living in Overton, Nevada, two years he went back to Bountiful to get the rest of the family. When they arrived in St. George they were all released on account of high taxes. While there Joseph worked for a Mr. Lang, for $10 a month and Hannah lived with her mother in Washington, Utah, and worked in the cotton factory there. Later the all moved to Mt. Carmel in Kane County, and in 1875joined the United Order and moved to Orderville, and was one of the Board of Directors. In 1877 he was called to work in the St. George Temple. He took Hannah and her family of four boys, also Bertha, and stayed all summer, and returned in the fall. The next season he was sent to run a dairy at Castle-rock, twenty miles north of Orderville. He took Susanna and her family, also Norman (Hannah's second son). They milked cows and made butter and cheese for the Order. Next he was appointed to run the Orderville store and he made many trips to Salt Lake to bring back goods. Susanna went with him to Salt Lake and returned with new false teeth, the first false teeth we ever knew of. While they were gone their son, Gideon, sixteen years old, died with a fever out to the sheep-herd. His mother saw it all in a dream before getting the sad news. He younger child, Rudolph, fell into some hot water and never recovered from the burns. David and son, Norman, made all the soap for the Order, substituting sticky gum from the pine trees for one-half the grease when fats were schace. They got the pine gum from the Indians who were all friendly by this time. One type of pine gum was commonly used for chewing gum. After the Order broke up he rented a herd of sheep also he and Hannah ran a store and Susanna taught school. His son, Karl, went on a mission. David's second wife Hannah accompanied him to Beaver where he was simmoned for trial for Polygamy. This trip had to be made by team and wagon, in winter weather. Hannah caught cold, became ill and died in January 1891. She had a stroke and lived ten days after returning from Beaver. She died (at age of 48) before her husband received his sentence. Hannah had sent to Denmark two years before for a little five-year old girl, Christine Larson, and Susanna raised her. They moved to Idaho in 1898, settling at Riverside, Bingham County, where they both passed away after a very busy and useful life. Susanna died in 1906, and David's oldest son and family came there and took care of him until his death in June 1909, and the age of 89. David had one son and eight grandsons and 3 son-in-laws go on missions for the church and nine grandsons in World War 1. Some of his saying were "The road to Hell is lined with good resolutions unkept." and "Hogs are not good for anything only what the savior used them for ---to drown devils. The last 15 or 20 years of his life he never tasted meat of any kind and ate only whole-wheat bread. David had twenty children, 14 by Susanna and 6 by Hannah. They named them for the letters in the alphabet as nearly as possible, and the boys were named with their mothers maiden name for a second name. Ammon Sumner, Bertha, Cyreen S., Enos Proctor, Fernando S, Gideon S, Herman P., Ira S., Joseph S., Karl S., Laura, Mary, Norman P., Olive, Parley P., Rudolph P., Trenor P., and Uriah Sumner. (History was typed with no changes to spelling and grammar).

Elizabeth Dalton Meeks and Norman Proctor Fackrell Begin Their Family

Contributor: Keren Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Today, November 01, 2017, I saw a research hint to find a possible missing child in the family of Elizabeth Dalton Meeks and Norman Proctor Fackrell. This hint is given because there is a gap of 10 years between the births of the first two children, Lewis and Heber, my maternal grandfather. Grandfather, Heber, told me the story of how his mother, Elizabeth Dalton Meeks, was run over by a wagon wheel after the birth of his older brother, Lewis. The doctors told her she would never be able to have any more children. She did, however, have three more children beginning with the birth of my grandfather, Heber Meeks Fackrell. This injury is the reason for the ten-year gap between the births of Heber and Lewis Fackrell.

Life timeline of Norman P Fackrell

Norman P Fackrell was born in 1870
Norman P Fackrell was 19 years old when The Eiffel Tower is officially opened. The Eiffel Tower is a wrought iron lattice tower on the Champ de Mars in Paris, France. It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower.
Norman P Fackrell was 24 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
Norman P Fackrell was 38 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
Norman P Fackrell was 44 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Norman P Fackrell was 58 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Norman P Fackrell was 69 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Norman P Fackrell was 70 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
Norman P Fackrell died in 1958 at the age of 88
Grave record for Norman P Fackrell (1870 - 1958), BillionGraves Record 4639124 Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States