Norman Ingles Bliss

24 Jan 1875 - 4 Aug 1919

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Norman Ingles Bliss

24 Jan 1875 - 4 Aug 1919
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Norman Ingles Bliss Jr. son of Norman Ingles Bliss Sr. was born January 24, 1875 in Toquerville, Washington County, Utah. His Father died while he (Norman) was but a small boy about seven years as I recall. His mother Lydia Mariah Fisk Stout married Cyrus M. Jennings of which one son was born (Davis

Life Information

Norman Ingles Bliss

Married: 31 Oct 1895

Hinckley City Cemetery

524-528 W 1750 N
Hinckley, Millard, Utah
United States


December 9, 2012


December 7, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Norman Ingles


Norman Ingles Bliss is buried in the Hinckley City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Norman Ingles Bliss Jr (1875-1919) - Life History by his Son, Clarence Bliss

Contributor: cindykay1 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Norman Ingles Bliss Jr. son of Norman Ingles Bliss Sr. was born January 24, 1875 in Toquerville, Washington County, Utah. His Father died while he (Norman) was but a small boy about seven years as I recall. His mother Lydia Mariah Fisk Stout married Cyrus M. Jennings of which one son was born (Davis S. Jennings). Then she died leaving five children which went to live with my father’s oldest sister who had just recently married John P. Terry. To try and carry his share of the responsibilities, Father carried the U.S. mail at a very young age. This he did for a number of years helping [the] best could to provide for his younger bothers and sisters. He remained living with Aunt Fanny Terry until his marriage to my mother Mary Elizabeth Morris, daughter of Daniel W. and Sophia Morris. I have no recollection of being in or leaving Dixie County, but I was one year old when my parents moved from Rockville to Hinckley about the year of 1897. My father secured what work was available after arriving in Hinckley to make a living. The first permanent job he got, as I remember, was driving President A. A. Hinckley’s freight outfit which consisted of driving and caring for eight head of work horses and three wagons. He remained with this job for several years or until President Hinckley, knowing his dependability and willingness to do his work, offered him the job of running his 120 acre farm about one and a fourth [1-1/4] miles north of Hinckley town. Going back to his freighting days I had the privilege of going along at least twice when the weather wasn’t to bad. There was one occasion when something happened that I shall never forget. About thirty or forty miles west of Hinckley was a place the freighters called Smelter Wells where the man planned to camp over night, either [when] going or coming, that they had [where there was] plenty of water. On this occasion the bucket stuck in the bottom of [the well] which they couldn’t dislodge from the top. So my father volunteered to slide down the rope and unfasten the bucket, or barrel as it was, which was around three hundred feet [down inside the well]. We couldn’t see him but he said he could see stars looking up as it was very dark where he was. He accomplished this daring act, and was I tickled to see him when he was drawn up to the top in the said bucket. It seemed to me as a very young boy my father wasn’t afraid of anything. Back on this Hinckley farm that I mentioned we lived as I remember four or five years. It was while living there that my mother died June 7, 1907 of Spinal Meningitis or at the age of twenty-nine. It was a hard blow to my Father as he had to make many decisions for himself as he now had five of us boys on his hands and had to be taken care of. He hired different ladies who would stay for a short time, then he had the same thing to do again in hiring another lady to take care of the children. About two years later my father married Harriet Theobald who was a near neighbor which made it convenient to see her rather often. Then she worked for us for a time. As time passed they were married in the Salt Lake City Temple April 11, 1908. At this same period of time we boys were sealed to our partens as my Aunt Dora Morris stood proxy for my Mother. I was 11 years old at the time of my Mother’s death also [I was] the oldest in the family of five. Father was considered a very good farmer. I have heard President Hinckley say on many occasions that Norm, as he called him, one of the most trusted men he had ever had anything to do with. A man by the name of James Melville, Uncle Jim he was called, found out the same way that my father was an exceptionally good farmer, and he was offered $125.00 per month furnishing the horse power to clear and prepare this half section of ground in Abraham six miles north west of Hinckley. This salary was considered a good wage at that time. We farmed this farm that was owned by two men from Ohio named Woodruff [the] farm, and the two men’s names were Newton and Howard. We remained on this farm for five years. Many changes took place about this time as Delta and the South Track was having their boom. One thing remains in my mind while we lived on this farm of which I will relate. My stepmother Harriet was pregnant with my bother Howard. As we always had to go to Oak City for our fruit in the fall of the year. At this particular time my father went for the fruit and while he was away my stepmother commenced having pains. My father had instructed me if anything happened to call him at Oak City. This I did as I had to ride horseback three miles to the nearest phone, and I might say here I didn’t spare the horse flesh nor did my father when I informed him what was happening at home. He asked for the best saddle horse in Oak City which belonged to Will Lovell who was a good friend of my father. This was 25 miles east of Abraham. My father rode the horse down this twenty-five miles in a hour. He said he would run him until he got out of breath then he would pull him up to a lope then run him again. Remember this was sometime before the automobiles in that country. While living on this Abraham farm we were able to get ahead somewhat. We purchased the old David S. Stout farm which was forty acres of land one and half [1-1/2] miles north of Hinckley and paid for it. We had considerable number of livestock and bought two other forty acre pieces of land and made considerable improvement in the place its self [itself]. After the five years on this farm we moved back to Hinckley on the David S. Stout home. My father was known as a very good hand with horses. He seemed to be able to get things out of horses that no other person could do. He indulged in trading horses occasionally and he never got beat on a horsetrade. He especially liked playing baseball and was very good too. When Norm came to bat all the fielders would move back. His favorite position on the team was first base. I myself have played on the same team as my father though only fifteen or sixteen years of age. He also was considered very good at boxing. In the early days of Hinckley the townspeople had to make their own entertainment and he was often called on to box someone else who might be from some other town or whoever they might match against him. He once owned a saddle horse called Brownie. I am sure he considered this horse his most prized possession. I have heard him say on cattle roundups, that wile running through brush and rough ground he never had the horse ball [fall?] with him. He was so well broke that he would rope the animal then get off this horse and he would do the rest. If the animal would move, the horse would back up to keep a tight rope all the time. Father always had fat good looking horses also cattle as well. All in all he was a very good hand with livestock. My last remembrance of my father was just before enlisting in the army of 1918 or World War I. It looked like it was certain that I would have to go so I enlisted. My father gave me a party in our home [and] invited many friends. While in this party my father sang a couple songs of which he also could do well. Just before leaving on the train, as this would be the last time I ever saw or heard of him, he said; “Son, if you are ever shot while at the front, get shot in the front not the back”, meaning don’t run away from danger. His advise was always good. He wasn’t a religious man, but believed it to be true. His religion that he lived and instilled into us boys were honesty. His word was his bond. My dad was respected and thought a lot by all whom became acquainted with him. His death came which was the result of an accident while moving a hay derrick August 4, 1919. I heard later sometime after I returned home from the army that a banker named Scott Taggert who was one of the speakers at his funeral [said] that he would just as soon take Norm Bliss word on a promise as his note or bond, meaning he could be depended upon whenever he gave his word. This is a mighty good attribute for anyone to possess. I have the highest respect in the world for my father and I feel though he wasn’t a man that attended to all his church duties as some would expect. He believed it to be true. He held his family prayers and paid his tithing and offerings, also Church donations. He could be classified as a grass root pioneer of the Hinckley and Delta country, where he gave his life.

Norman Ingles Bliss Jr (1875-1919) - Life History written by his Children

Contributor: cindykay1 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Our father was Norman Ingles Bliss. He had a very loving wife the mother of five little boys. Norman and Mary were married Oct, 31, 1895. They moved to Hinckley, where Clarence, Clark and Oren were born. He moved his family in to the A.A. Hinckley home. Where Mateland and Earl were born. They were so happy until tragedy struck their home. His devoted wife was stricken with Spinal meningitis and died June 7, 1907, leaving grief stricken husband a small baby and four young boys. Now what would Norman do? With the help of his sister Fannie good neighbors and the help of a dear friend (Minnie Moody) they managed some how. He needed someone to come into the home and care for the children, leaving him free to do his farm work. He employed Virgie Serls to come and stay with the family. She told me she never saw such good little boys and Norman was a good man. She stayed about four months then Norman proposed marriage to her, she was already engaged to a young man on a mission for the church so she left. Eighty acres east of them lived the George Theobald family. Harriot a young girl was willing to go and help the family out. I do not know how long she was there before she and Norman married. They were married April 1, 1908 in the Salt Lake City Temple. At that time he and Mary and the five boys (were) sealed to him. Their first child was Stanley. He was born Jan 31, 1909. He moved his family out to the Woodruff ranch. He was employed by a man from the East to run the ranch. Three children were born there. Zelma, the only girl; Howard and Theron. Hattie needed help with the house chores. Jeneva Cook from Delta (Now Mrs. Les Pace) came out. Clark says that each Monday morning he would hitch the horse to the buggy and go over to Delta and get her. She would stay the week, come Saturday night he would take her home. After she quit Mamie Cropper helped out. I must tell here of the humorous things the boys can remember. Earl and Clark said in the summer time their father would buy a barrel of bottled beer and put it in the cellar to keep cool. The older boys were allowed one full bottle but couldn’t take it out of the cellar to drink it. Earl says the younger boys could only have a half of a bottle. Earl also mentioned that his father liked a nip of peach brandy; but he, Earl, could never find where he hide it. (Come on EARL) On days they couldn’t work, the boys would ride calves. Father loved to ***** the calves and make them buck. It was great fun for all. Maybe that is where the Jr. Rodeo originated. Norman was a great lover of horses and would lead the pony express on the Fourth of July. He owned such a pretty horse, Browney. His riding equipment was the best. When mounted on his horse, no man looked better or rode taller in the saddle. His work horses were always matched. Our father bought a little mare named Roxie for our only sister Zelma. Beware of wrath if any of us boys tried to take the mare from her. I am told Roxie lived to a ripe old age. All of the boys said father believed in working hard that work never hurt anyone. Each of the boys had their chores. Clark was to take care of the horses. The boys took turns pumping water for the cows. 100 strokes each. They never worked on Saturday afternoons or Sunday. They played baseball. Norman played baseball for years on the Hinckley team. His position on the team was first baseman. When the rival team from Deseret came over to a challenge game sometimes they would get into arguments bad words were said and the fur would fly. Even the women would pitch into help out. Norman was very good at clearing and leveling the land. He cleared and leveled the land we live on for the former owners a Mr. and Mrs. Charls Keen. They lived in New York City and belonged to the Theater. He cleared the land that Lea Gronning owns. He freighted out to Drum and Fish Springs also did some work for Mae Laird on her Cherry Creek ranch such as planting potatoes. It was on one of these camping out trips that young Earl decided to investigate the desert by himself. He got lost, Father, Norman and son Clark, a man by the name of Frank Clark and his brother, (I think they worked for Mrs. Laird). They hunted all night. Come morning Frank Clark found the little fellow, tired and frightened. He had walked nearly to Jericho. Norman bought 40 acres of land from I.N. Hinckley and moved his family into the home that was already there. In this home his last three sons were born, Max, Ferron, and Ingles. He still farmed and freighted. He was a cautious man about his work. Something happened one day while he was moving the hay derrick. The large Jackson fork came loose from the stack, striking Norman in the stomach. He was given first aid by Dr. Charles then taken to the LDS Hospital. The doctors did everything they could at that time but he died Aug 12, 1919. Clarence was in France with the U.S Army when he received the word of his father’s death. Now another gap is left in the family. Some years later Harriot married J.R. Lee. She died from childbirth, Feb, 28, 1927. It broke the family circle. She was, I suppose, the clasp on the necklace. Without her the beads scattered. Norman Ingles Bliss was born in Touqerville, Utah, Jan, 24, 1875. Norman’s mother was left a widow three times with six kids to raise. Fannie, Lillie, Norman and Alfred Bliss. Joe Griffin and David Jennings. His mother used to work in the cotton factory to help sustain the family. Norman herded cows and tended little brother Alfred. One day while he was herding, the cows got away from him. Some nasty man drove them into the straypen. Norman was frantic. He knew that man could fine his mother and she couldn’t afford to pay a fine. It seems like God looks after orphans and widows. For a very nice man whom we all know, Henery Schlappi, told that man he knew he could fine that woman but he wasn’t going to because, “I will let those bars down and drive the cows out and pay the fine myself for that woman has enough to worry about without you slapping a fine on her.” When Norman was about 12 years old, he carried the mail from Rockville to Orderville. The mail carrier from Orderville would lower the mail bags down over the cliff to Norman below. Clark said his father told him that he worked and bought his mother her first cook stove. Norman’s gift to his sons and daughter was that he taught integrity. That the worst thing in the world was to go back on your word. Or to be other wise dishonest. Earl said he would always remember his father telling them too be honest. Father said, “You can lock things from a thief but you can’t lock the truth from a liar.” Norman was always a good provider. Such Christmases they had must have been a dream. On Christmas mornings, none of the boys could come downstairs until they were fully dressed. How the boys loved to tease Earl. He was so excited he couldn’t sleep all night. On Christmas morning the older boys would tie hard knots in all of his clothes. How he would scream. But he never came down until all of those knots were untied and he was dressed. Even now the boys with long legs laugh about it. I imagine there were lots of shennanaghins pulled off. I’ll bet Earl had a share in it to. Norman’s posterity is great, eleven sons and one daughter, one son, Mateland died when he was 15 years old. He was born Jan. 1, 1902 and died July 4, 1917. Norman Ingles Obituary, printed in the Millard Co. Chronical. Aug, 1919 Norman I. Bliss of Hinckley, Utah died in the LDS Hospital last Monday following injuries received on his farm a few days previous. Norman was moving his hay derrick to a new location and in doing so, left the hayfork sticking in the stack. When the derrick had gone forward to the end of the rope, as it was pulled taunt the fork came out of the stack and swinging forward on an arch hit him. One of the sharp tines entered his side puncturing his intestines. What was known at that time as a serious accident. He was sent to the LDS Hospital, but death followed the accident. Norman Bliss or Norm as he was always called was one of our best and most respected men. Liked by all he had a character and ways that won him firm and lasting friendship. He could always be entrusted with business and responsibilities. He was a man business honors, was unquestioned, his word was binding and always lived up to. His death will be severely felt in his community. He was the kind of man who’s influence for the best was so pronounced that he should have been spared for a longer life. The community sympathized deeply with the grief stricken family. Norman Bliss was born in Southern, Utah, Jan, 24, 1875, and moved to Hinckley, Utah. He lost his first wife, later married Harriot Theobald. He leaves a large family being survived by his children by his former wife and as well as by children by his widow. For years he ran the Woodruff ranch, near Abraham for the owners of it then who were Cincinnati people. His own farm or rather his two farms lie in Hinckley. He was a man in comfortable circumstances with a brilliant future. We extend our fullest sympathy to the family.

Theobald, Harriet Prayer to Mother - Poem by Lester Lee

Contributor: cindykay1 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Our dear Aunt Hattie has left us. Now she dwells in a happier place But as long as we live we will love her. And remember her kind smiling face. She was always kind and loving She seemed like a beautiful dove And now O Lord in the heavens She is swelling with Tee above. O God, in this hour of mourning, Tis hard to believe she is gone, Though we know on the morning of judgement We shall see her again in the throng. We know that we are Thy Children And when your turn comes along, That we go with Thee O Father And no longer on this earth prolong. Dear Lord we will miss her, Until our turn comes along. Then we will rise to the beautiful Heavens With gladness, rejoicing and song. Our Father we pray that we Might live an honest life and true; That when our life on this earth is done We may come and dwell with you. Amen Lester Lee [Lester was her step-son and was 16 years old when Harriet passed away]

Life History from Find a

Contributor: cindykay1 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Norman Ingles Bliss Norman Bliss Jr. was born in Toquerville, Utah. His father died when he was 7 years old and his mother took her young family to Rockville to live near her parents. When he was 13 his mother died and he lived for a time with his uncle Hosea Stout. He learned the value of work at a young age. When he was only 11 he delivered mail to the families who lived within what is now Zion National Park. The mail had to be lowered down to him by rope. His first marriage was to Mary Elizabeth Morris of the nearby town of Grafton Utah. The family had their first child Clarence in Rockville and then moved to Hinckley, Millard County, Utah. They had 4 more children Clark, Oren, Maitlan and Earl while living in Hinckley. Mary died when their youngest child Earl was only 2 years old. Norman then married Harriet Theobald of Hinckley. They lived in Hinckley and Abraham, a nearby community. They had 7 children. Their first child, Stan was born in Hinckley, the next 3- Zelma [the only daughter], Howard and Theone [known as Bill] were born in Abraham. The youngest 3 Max, Ferron and George [known as Joe] were born back in Hinckley. Norman was a farmer and a freighter. He ran the Woodruff Ranch in Abraham and later his own farm in Hinckely. He also spent a lot of time on the Utah West Desert where he would haul food to miners and freight ore back. Norman was a hard working father who supported his large family well. He was considered honest and was well respected in the community. He also like to box. When someone was new to the town, or traveling through the men in the community like to hold a boxing match, and Norman was often chosen to represent them. Norman was injured in an accident with a hay derrick when the fork swung loose and pierced him through his midsection. He was taken to Salt Lake City to try to save his life, but he died from peritonitis. His youngest son George was only a month old.

Life timeline of Norman Ingles Bliss

Norman Ingles Bliss was born on 24 Jan 1875
Norman Ingles Bliss was 8 years old when Krakatoa begins to erupt; the volcano explodes three months later, killing more than 36,000 people. Krakatoa, or Krakatau, is a volcanic island situated in the Sunda Strait between the islands of Java and Sumatra in the Indonesian province of Lampung. The name is also used for the surrounding island group comprising the remnants of a much larger island of three volcanic peaks which was obliterated in a cataclysmic 1883 eruption.
Norman Ingles Bliss was 17 years old when Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Norman Ingles Bliss was 34 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
Norman Ingles Bliss died on 4 Aug 1919 at the age of 44
Grave record for Norman Ingles Bliss (24 Jan 1875 - 4 Aug 1919), BillionGraves Record 2701574 Hinckley, Millard, Utah, United States